100 lb. Club - Homemade trimmed down Frijoles a la Charra!!!

txangelgirl
01-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Okay I am finally sharing my recipe after so many requests for it lol!!! Enjoy ladies!!!!

You will need:
-a crockpot
-a package of dry pinto beans - 16oz
*get dry, the canned has way too much preservatives
-smoked turkey bacon, straight out of the package, don't cook it beforehand. I cut mine up into bite size pieces with kitchen shears (saves time)
-2 bunches of cilantro, snipped with your kitchen shears
-a bag of frozen chopped onions (or fresh, enough for 3 cups)
-8 large fresh jalapenos, seeded to your level of hotness, sliced in half then sliced again.
*i.e. the more seeds you have the spicier it'll be; if you don't like it too spicy, take all the seeds out
-9 roma tomatoes, chopped
-2 packages of lean turkey sausage, sliced
*for variety, you can also use chicken, but you need to brown the chicken first before adding it in, or do 1 pkg turkey sausage and a lb of chicken.

rinse your beans, then put them in your crockpot with 3/4 of the way full with water. Set on high for and once heated, let em stew for 3 hours. then, add in all of the other ingredients. Let it stew for another 3 hours. Serve up with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro leaves with a fresh salad - yummo!!!! Low cal, tons of protein, and oh so good! Or even better, fix your salad with green leaf lettuce, sliced roma tomato, 1/4 avocado, and then in a small processor mix up cottage cheese, low sodium taco seasoning, a stream of olive oil, and fresh cilantro for your "dressing" - wooooow!!!!

And yes, you can freeze this; I freeze one big freezer bag for another night of cook free dinner, and then a few regular size freezer bag for lunches :)

BTW because this is so low fat, this is very friendly towards olive oil, so if you want you can drizzzle some in the soup for extra fullness :)