Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #1  
in F major

S/C/G: 278/223/178

Height: 6'

Default Monthly Goal Evaluation & Setting

Three weeks ago I decided to start trying to lose weight again so I logged into fitday for the first time in years. While I was updating my information there I got to the "goal weight" field and paused. I hadn't logged in for so long, but there was my final goal weight followed by something to the effect of "deadline passed."

That gave me the idea to try something different this time around and set more immediate and attainable goals than I had previously set. So around December 10 I set my goal to lose eight pounds by January 1.

At the time I really thought I was being overly ambitious and setting myself up for failure. Who looses weight in December? Won't Aunt Soandso's feelings be hurt if you don't eat a copious amount of her homemade fudge while grinning appreciatively right in front of her? December is the month when everyone is supposed to gain weight. Even naturally trim people pack on the winter weight. My point is that when I set up that fitday Mini-Goal I didn't believe in it or myself. I just did it to fill in some space.

My entire weight loss strategy at that point was basically I'll do whatever I can. I hit the treadmill and increased my distance a little most days. I changed some of the ingredients in the foods I prepare for myself. In anticipation of my food log, I made better choices about where and what to eat at restaurants.

I wasn't perfect. I missed a few days in the gym. I had some fudge and cookies. But, I kept myself accountable and honest in my log.

Everyday (except December 25) I managed to burn more calories than I took in. My weight loss strategy naturally took the shape of calorie counting. The calories I count most are the ones in the deficit between intake and output. Next on my priority list of the calories that count the most are the ones that provide satisfaction and nutrition. Like many others here, I decided that I want "the most bang for my buck" in calorie budget land. That helps steer me in the direction of lean protein and away from refined carbs.

That was my December, the last three fourths of it anyway. It went well. I didn't often feel deprived. I made slow but steady physical progress towards health.

That weight loss goal that I arbitrarily picked with more than a touch of hubris was to lose eight pounds by January 1. Today is the day and I actually lost seven pounds in December! I'm really proud of myself today. It's not quite eight, but hey - it was Christmas and I ate.

I'm grateful to have gained 3FC in December. I'm really taken with the community here, appreciate the welcome and support I've received thus far and am looking forward to contributing this month (and year).

I set another Mini-Goal for myself this morning. This time I believe I can lose eleven pounds by February 1. That's going to be the first happy I bring to the new year.
Tharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #2  
ur gettin' schooled, son.

S/C/G: 164/157/143

Height: 5'7"

Heh, I didn't even bother to start dieting in December since I knew I'd set myself up to go wrong. I suppose that's why so many people do it after the new year. I started just before it, so I didn't feel like one of the many doing a New Year's resolution that they never stick to.

But hey, you did good in December! A lot of people wait past that one month, so kudos to you. 7 pounds during the most fattening month of the year is a ton. Congrats!!!

And really... who WOULDN'T refuse Aunt Soandso's fudge?
Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations! You seem to have found a plan that can work for you! It is very similar to mine. Calorie counting - no deprivation, portion control and learning to make smart food choices as often as I can. I also use Fitday to track mini-goals. While my 3FC ticker has my final goal, Fitday has a 2-3 month goal for me. If it seems unrealistic (I get behind), I adjust it again. Seeing that slow, steady progress toward an attainable goal is very motivating.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Tharmony - I know the feeling. I had set my goal for the New Year to #184.9 - I wanted to be out of the high end of the #180's. I had Christmas, New Years, my best friend in the hospital for over a week and other stresses of life to deal with.

Well when I woke up this morning and stepped on the scale to see what I ended up at for the challenge - I was pleasantly suprised... #185.2 - only #.3 away from goal! I'm PROUD!!!

My "official" weigh in day is Sunday, and on the 30th I was at #187... so that's what the ticker references. My goal for Jan-March is to lose #7-#10 a month... I'm working towards the high end
Enygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Way to go. That's wonderful. You can lose the weight you want by Feb..I know you can!
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #6  

Hey Girls..Can I join you? I have lost a good amount of weight but unfortunately my weightloss has stalled. I am trying really hard to make a mini-first goal of getting to 249!

So...Until I reach 249..I vow to Walk and or DANCE until I elevate my heartrate. I have also made a decision to eliminate ALL SUGAR from my diet until I reach my ultimate goal of 199.

So I am aiming NO SUGAR...Walk and or Dance. I will also do a a everyother day plan where I have a protein shake for lunch. Can't wait to get to 249!!! I have been stuck for a good while.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #7  
in F major

Thanks Mizu, CountingDown, Enygirl, LynseyLikes2Lose and Skinny4baby! Your encouragement means a lot to me.

S4B, chime in any time! Dancing sounds like a great exercise idea - I might have to copy you and start mixing up my routine by getting my groove on.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #8  
in F major

When I went to weigh myself this morning I was pleased to notice another half pound gone, but I don't let myself get too excited about that sort of thing in general. Don't get me wrong, I feel relieved. I just try not to invest too much energy in the daily scale number so I can pay more attention to my overall health, workouts and nutrition - big picture stuff.

So, this evening when I logged in here I remembered to update my signature with my new weight and got a jolt when I saw how my current weight fits into that big picture. I'm half way there. (Or half weigh there, it works on either level). My big goal is to lose a hundred pounds from my highest weight - today I realized that I just got through fifty.

Maybe it's a little thing, but I was really happy to realize how far I've come. My goal doesn't seem so distant now. I know I can lose 50 pounds, because I've already done it. Now all I have to do is really bring it for an encore performance.

Last edited by Tharmony; 01-13-2008 at 08:51 PM.