The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - TBL Couples: Season 5 Discussion *SPOILERS*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

chellez
12-31-2007, 10:51 AM
A new year... :newyear:

A new season of TBL... :yay:

and most importantly...

A whole new season to :drool: over
http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01198/75/21/1198371257_l.jpg

:devil:

chellez
12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
First question I have is...

Just by watching the commercials, how many of you are inspired instantly to turn your husband from a couch potato into a fitness machine?

*Raises hand*

NemesisClaws
12-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Those tattoos look like they are island based themes...interesting...you can tell a lot about a person from their tats.

I think this new season is going to be the most interesting yet...imagine having to compete against your spouse, mother, dad or whomever....I know I couldn't do it if I was competing against my mother. I would have her win hands down anytime.

chellez
12-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Well I think part of the drama that is going to be with the couples season is the same thing that happens on The Amazing Race. The couples get in the competition, the relationship gets strained and drama occurs.

Bad bad NBC.... you've hooked me in again!

practiceliving
12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
OMG Chelle! That picture! I just woke up, but I think I need to go back to bed! ;)

I'm interested to see how the relationships play out... I know some of my issues about my body come from my parents attitudes and comments, so I wonder how the parent-child teams will do. It's important to conquer those attitudes, but to have to do it on national TV, in 12 weeks, while being pushed to lose massive amounts of weight? Yikes!!

sportmom
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Ahem, thank you Chell, for that new photo!

I would like to work on my spouse, but have learned the hard way, the best way is to do it myself, show some visible success, and then he will be motivated to follow. To come up with a plan or to goad him into doing it with me while I'm doing it, gets reallllly ugly! But I guess any of us would react that way.

BluePapillon
12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry...were we talking about something? <wiping the drool from my chin....>

lawdy dawg but that man is soooooo yummy!

Diva
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry...were we talking about something? <wiping the drool from my chin....>

lawdy dawg but that man is soooooo yummy!

LOL! Yup I concur!

joliren
12-31-2007, 04:43 PM
I think there will definatley be some drama between the couples. But for some it might work better to have a buddy there with them and especially when they go home. Just look how well the twins did last season. You know once they were both home they worked out together and really pushed each other and kept each other on track. It's all about a good support system.

chick_in_the_hat
12-31-2007, 04:56 PM
I've said it before...and I'll say it again....EYE TACO. :s:
Thanx Chellez!

Shay
12-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Goodness...gotta love Bob!

Chellez--I'm the fat one. My BF isn't. He doesn't exercise he is just very careful about what he puts in his mouth. Generally very fresh and clean eating.

GirlyGirlSebas
12-31-2007, 06:51 PM
First question I have is...

Just by watching the commercials, how many of you are inspired instantly to turn your husband from a couch potato into a fitness machine?

*Raises hand*

I absolutely love muscles....the more the better! (pant pant) We have that new home gym thingy in the garage and I am determined to get Hubby going on that thing. Maybe if I volunteer to work out with him? Hmmm...the possibilities are endless!:love:

NemesisClaws
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Just popping back in for a reminder.....the show is on TONIGHT!!!!! :)

Purplefirefly
01-01-2008, 12:37 PM
We have that new home gym thingy in the garage and I am determined to get Hubby going on that thing. Maybe if I volunteer to work out with him? Hmmm...the possibilities are endless!:love:

We bought one of those 3 years ago, hubby just had to have it...and he worked out on it like 3 times and now it collects dust! I have used it some, but it's annoying to me to have to change the weights in the back between every exercise, so I just like my hand weights and bar better. I am wondering how to get him going on it again though...I keep suggesting we do it together and he just says "no." :shrug: I have no idea what is in his head anymore!!! A little BOB in my house would not be a bad thing though :p

xJox
01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
*Waves* Hey all!!! Im excited about the new season!!!!!

Chellez-- Thanks for the pic. You know we LOVE that one!! ;)

What time does the show come on tonight? Gotta be ready to WATCH!

chick_in_the_hat
01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
8PM....2 hours..:cb:

chellez
01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
nursing a nasty hangover.... I'm really not sure if I'll be on for discussion but I will be watching! :D

Cassie501107
01-01-2008, 04:52 PM
I can't wait for the show to come on tonight...I've been watching the marathon on Bravo all day.:D

iwmonn
01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
WoooHooooo I can't wait! Hopefully I can stay out of here after 5pm until it airs here on the ol west coast. It was SOOOOO hard to not peek in here to find out results of who won when the final show aired But I did it! (I used to be the master Christmas present unwrapper and rewrapper as a kid... then I'd feel bad cuz there was no surprise ..... heheheh).

Chellez~ sorry 'bout that ol hangover. When I used to drink, my cure was a gallon of milk, and a can of Welchs grape juice. (not together tho.) Get yourself a nap GF!

I'm most curious how the relationships between the divorced couple, and the mom/child will work out.

godsgirlnmo
01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I am so excited about the new season woohoo

sportmom
01-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Is anyone else hoping they don't plan to associate the Celine Dion "Chances" song with the whole season? UGH That's all you hear during the bravo marathon and it is just GRATING on my nerves. "What do you saaaaaaayyyyyy (screech) to taking chances........" Please do not let it be the new theme song EITHER.

Andi18
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for adding the eye candy Chellez! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_7.gif
Hope your hangover is better now so that you can watch http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_106v.gif

45 Minutes to go until Season 5!!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gif

Kimana
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Is anyone else hoping they don't plan to associate the Celine Dion "Chances" song with the whole season? UGH That's all you hear during the bravo marathon and it is just GRATING on my nerves. "What do you saaaaaaayyyyyy (screech) to taking chances........" Please do not let it be the new theme song EITHER.

I'm thinking it's going to be, Sporty, sorry :(

But I'm so glad for a change from that awful Cher song.... I got so sick of hearing that and I did everything to avoid it but it seemed like everywhere I went it was playing... HATE that song. So I'm glad for a change.

NoVaVTFan
01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
SO HAPPY that Kim is not a trainer on this season! :)

I got a little teary-eyed when the young married couple talked about leaving their little baby - that must be so hard to do!! It was one thing when it was one parent leaving in past seasons, but I can't imagine both parents having to leave their young baby. I hope the season is worth it for them.

P.S. I am so happy that the new season has started!

iwmonn
01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Ghhaaaaaaa!!!!! it's time for me to plug my ears and sing real loud lalalalalalala.... heheheh..

be back in a few hours after I getta watch it. Have fun Ladies!!!!!

Dee~

Cassie501107
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
LMAO @ Bette-Sue calling Bob a "mean little booger"....hahaha!

:lol:

Purplefirefly
01-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I love Bettie Sue! She is so funny, and I can tell her and Bob clicked right away, they have that teasing kind of relationship. He'll be able to motivate and keep her going for sure. Loved her Beyonce dance :lol:

missingmyerica
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I would be so mad at my father if he gave up so quickly and didn't want to excercise. Grrr.

FrouFrou
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Watching the end of it right now as I am typing! Ugh to some of the couples! No offense but Betty Sue is getting on my nerves, really annoying me. And hey, I like that Celine Dion song, lol!

Great pic! And yes, I am working on hubby to lose. He doesn't have much to lose but I am thinking more of his health and the turd...lose 7 pounds last week! 7 pounds to my 1.

ChopperChick355
01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Watching the show right now and I am always excited when a new one starts. This season will probably be very emotional and dramatic... I am voting for the online couple to win.

melissa73
01-01-2008, 11:26 PM
LOOOOOVE The Bob picture! Thanks for that! :dizzy:

That was a great first episode! I have to say that i'm glad the green team was eliminated by the end. I feel badly for Jenni, but her dad didn't want to be there and he needed to go. Hopefully she gets the support she needs from her friends and it looked like she was doing well for herself back at home.

I'm sooo glad that Kim isn't a trainer this year, she was a bit annoying to me. Love Bob and JIllian but I was a little shocked that Jillian was chosen first out of the two. Mom and I agreed we would have ran to Bob in a heartbeat....although, they are both GREAT!

I"m not sure what team I want to win yet. I really like the online strangers and the brothers and the two young girls. I also am really routing for the mom and her son. Betty Sue has her moments. Some times she's cute and other times she's annoying. This is definitely going to be a GREAT season!

Diva
01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I soooo totally loved Betty Sue. She's a funny, sassy lady! I like that teasing thing with her & Bob. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say She's my fav and NO it has nothing to do with the team being PINK....really I swear....:D

I'm glas they got rid of Jenni and her Daddy. I DID feel for her, but he didn't wanna be there so he really did need to go. I HOPE for his and his families sake though that he will continue to lose weight.

I Love Bob and Jillian and I think it's gonna be neat next week when they team up and train together. Sooooooo glad Kim isn't there.

BTW, the Celine somg works my nreve too. I can't stand that woman.

kaplods
01-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I was rather disappointed that green team got voted off, though I don't feel sorry for Jenni at all. I was more sympathetic to the father, especially after weigh-in. She seemed more concerned about his progress than her own, and more concerned that he wasn't living up to HER expectations of him (I wouldn't really be too enthused about being there with that kind of partner, either).

For a 60 year old man, he did great losing was it 17 or 19 lbs? They also showed him working in the gym when no one else was - so we really don't know what he did or didn't do, just that his daughter didn't think he was doing enough (and I think her whining to the other players may have skewed their opinion of Lynn as well). Did she really work as hard as she could, or harder than the other women, or harder than her dad, or did she just think so? I would have liked to seem more of them on the show to get a better idea.

I think it was interesting that she still complained about her dad's efforts off the show as well. He's lost 30 lbs, and she 20. Those are good solid numbers, for them both, but they don't show her giving him much credit, only complaining about his level of commitment. He was obviously exercising regularly, but apparently not up to her expectations. Considering his results are pretty comparable to hers, I think it's an unfair judgement on her part. He's male and heavier so we could expect him to lose a little more than her a little faster (which he apparently did), but on the other hand he presumably has an aging body and metabolism which might offset that a little bit (but another reason he might legitimately not be able to exercise at her pace).

sportmom
01-01-2008, 11:55 PM
It was a tossup for me, as I felt the camp counselors being young should have lost much more. But the dad nailed their coffin shut when he pretty much told the group to send them home and he would be fine with that. Yeah, he was ready. Don't know if it was more than he thought when he agreed to do it or what, maybe he said yes but never thought they'd really get to stay beyond the final interviews. But he put her in her place when they were packing and he told her not to forget who lost only 7 lbs and basically PUT them below the yellow line. Yep, that's right, can't argue w/the facts.

I like BettySue too! At first, I thought, oh no, she and Bob are gonna knock heads since they really wanted Jillian, but it worked out. I think I'm gonna really like her too - she's a real momma, you know what I mean? Reminds me of my nephews mil down in GA. She's always lively, happy, and will not hesitate to pull you aside and tell you where you've messed up - but she only means well and has a totally good heart. REAL person. Kind of would have been more interesting to see how she would have interacted / imploded with kim! :lol:

NemesisClaws
01-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Sighs...I'm kinda half in half on this...I mean, due to editing, it kinda looked like the father just didn't do anything overly much, but yet he lost 17 compared to his daughter's 7 pound....now 7 pounds ain't nothing to sniff at, but when you compare that to the rest of the ladies there who lost considerably more than that, it kinda makes you wonder just how much exercise and dieting she really did....

I was so hoping on the updates that they both lost a lot, but it still looked like the father's heart was just so-and-so about it, whereas the daughter was still struggling a lot. Did anyone else get the impression that she pretty much gave up on the father in terms of winning the kicked-off consolation prize here? :(

kaplods
01-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Considering they've both lost a considerable, but comparable amount of weight, I don't think we can assume that his commitment is truly any less than hers, only that SHE thinks so, and is very vocal in expressing it.

I do think she seems to have "written her father off," and maybe that's better for both of them. I don't think that she was being a good support to him, and she definitely wasn't getting what she needed from him either. They may just have very different styles and methods of weight loss. Maybe he's more committed to diet, and she's more committed to exercise. Maybe she just sees his weaknesses and not her own. Who knows?

I do not think that the show is like most (reality tv or otherwise) in that issues of truth, fairness, and balance take a back seat to telling an entertaining story. I think the editors themselves also have biases that will affect their editing, and thus the picture we see. If any one of us were editing the show, we might create a VERY different episode (and it might not be any more "accurate" because of our own biases).

Shay
01-02-2008, 12:52 AM
I like Betti-Sue too. I went online prior to the show to read the profiles and picked my top 3 teams based on that. So here goes:

Betti-Sue & Ali (pink)
Paul & Kelly (yellow)
Maggie & Jen (purple)

Even after seeing the show I am happy with my choices. I was thinking the green team (Lynn & Jenni) and white team (newlyweds--don't remember their names) would be below the yellow line. I think the white team is next for two reasons--the husband is already complaining--and the previews from next week but they are not always as they seem.

It's hard for me to keep up with who is working with Bob and who is working with Jillian with all these different team colors. But I do distinctly remember the white team wanted Jillian and so did the pink. I loved that the husband from the white team said they didn't want Bob because they didn't "come here to breathe and relax". I knew he would eat his words. He can't even handle Jillian. I don't like that a few of them seem to think Jillian is better than Bob. Are they watching the same show?

Regarding what the green team looks like today...I wasn't suprised. If you look at the numbers--Lynn lost 19 at the ranch. Now he has lost a total of 30lbs which means he has lost an additional 11 lbs. Jenni has lost a total of 20lbs. She lost 7 at the ranch which means she has lost an additional 13lbs. So their weight loss is comparable. It seems they have both struggled. In comparison with other how they look today from previous seasons...not so good.

Killjoy
01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
This was first time watching the show as I rarely watch TV at all but decided to try to watch this and the question I have is this, someof those people lost a massive amount of weight in a week, is that normal and/or safe? The one guy lost 25 or 26 pounds. How is it possible to lose that much weight in a week and do it so that it's not detrimental to your health?

Apart from that it was pretty good I thought. The green team were definitely the right team to go. As someone else mentioned Jenni wa all over her father about his level of commitment but when all was said and done he hit the nail on the head; he had lost 19 lbs while she had dropped only 7 lbs.

I'm not sure I've chosen any one team as a favourite yet but that may change. All in all it was an entertaining two hours.

As for the Celine Dion and her song, she's Canadian but if you guys want her we'd be more than happy to give her to you. Take her, please... :)

KJ

onthetee
01-02-2008, 12:56 AM
I think we have to remember that part of Jenni's motivation is that she does not want her dad to die, and she feels she is trying to save him. My dad had a quad bypass, and though it is very rare, I want to slap him when he eats a bratwurst. I think she was trying to save him as much for herself as for him. When fear is your motivator, it is hard to provide the best kind of support. You hate to say the words, "I don't want you to die, but it seems like it matters more to me than to you, and I hate that about our relationship." Much easier for her to express her anger in less raw ways.

I have little sympathy for the purple team. They are fat camp counselors? They already have the tools for making changes. They should know most of this already.

Shay
01-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Onthetee--You would think so about the purple team but I've seen a few of the Camp Shane specials on MTV. These girls are former campers. The kids do lose quite a bit of weight each summer but many of them return summer after summer and are still overweight. Socialization is a huge thing. They feel comfortable. They are able to interact and have boyfriends and girlfriends which may not be possible back home. All this to say...I think a lot of things get in the way of them actually internalizing the information and because these girls grew up basically at these camps they are falling into the same trap as their campers. I think I actually saw the special when Jenn was a camper vs a counselor. I think she said she is the assistant director now.

Hun.e.B
01-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Okay havent read what everyone has said but I did like BettySue for the most part, just wish she'd learn when its time to close your mouth. I'm just afraid its gonna get worse and worse as the season goes on. I dont like her eye rolling, but I love her interactions with bob...so cute!

I was okay with green going home, the old guy just didnt have his heart into it and I'm sorry you'll never be successful until you can committ. Looks like he'd doing okay at home though. I think thats just where he needed to be. Hopefully the purple team can make the most of being there now. I cried for the yellow team though....UGH!! That is such a hard situation to be in.

Okay thats all I can think of right now!

~melissa

Purplefirefly
01-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I know they said they do the hiring and that they don't hire fat counselors...so that would elminate them from being counselors themselves. I paused when they said that, she said they can't hire fat counselors because the parents will think if they can't do it themselves, how can they do it for their children...something like that. So, they can't be counselors, but I found that part humorous that they were so big saying they can't hire fat people.

I loved Betty Sue because she was making the best of it. Instead of whining she was having a good time, trying to smile and keep going. And she got good results...I love a postitive attitude.

I am kind of rooting for the mother/daughter team, the one that the daughter had to literally drag her mother down the hill and they were last on that first challenge...what color are they? I am not good with remembering names, so it might take me awhile to remember all these colors :dizzy: But, I would love to see that mother make it to the end and walk proudly up and down that hill on her own...I always love that at the end where they do what they couldn't do on day one.

Nicoyaangel
01-02-2008, 02:02 AM
You know what is soooo funny! Ok, so my boyfriend and I said well we want to lose weight as our new years resolution. So, on Dec. 30th (I remember the date because that's our 5 month anniversary) he went to 24 hour fitness and got a gym membership. And come to find out, TBL is doing a couples season! So during commercials we took our "before" pictures and wow! We have tons of work to do. I know that this time around since I see it in picture form and I have a true partner that won't bail on me its going to happen. We are going to lose this weight!!! I can't wait for that scale to go down! Down! Down!

practiceliving
01-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Oh gosh, the daddy who was working to get his family insurance and couldn't get approved made me cry. I can't imagine living in a country where basic healthcare needs aren't covered by the gov't and present such a struggle.. sure I still need insurance for the "big" stuff, but the basics... yikes. I really felt for him and his wife.

Love that Kim is gone, and that we're going to get to see Bob and Jillian working together. Yahoo!!

I think I am going to like the contestants a LOT better this season. They all seem really sweet at this point.

The hospital stuff really got to me, especially the woman (a former contestant!!) talking about fertility. I'm in my early 20s, and the BF and I talk a lot about the kind of family we want... to think that my body, my health, my choices might get in the way of that... :( :( :( I got a little teary-eyed, to be honest. That got me so much more than any of the other hospital stuff.

I'm sooo glad the Green team went home. That dad is just NOT ready for this. As hard as it is for the daughter, you can't force someone to commit to something unless they're ready, y'know?

Nicoyaangel
01-02-2008, 02:19 AM
You know what is soooo funny! Ok, so my boyfriend and I said well we want to lose weight as our new years resolution. So, on Dec. 30th (I remember the date because that's our 5 month anniversary) he went to 24 hour fitness and got a gym membership. And come to find out, TBL is doing a couples season! So during commercials we took our "before" pictures and wow! We have tons of work to do. I know that this time around since I see it in picture form and I have a true partner that won't bail on me its going to happen. We are going to lose this weight!!! I can't wait for that scale to go down! Down! Down!

kaplods
01-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Killjoy, I don't think for most people losing this fast is healthy or safe. That is my dilemma with the show. We have seen illnesses and injuries in every season, and already (was it Neil) has become ill and taken to the hospital. In the "real" world uncontrollable vomitting would be a big hint to cut back on the extreme exercising and dieting. If he weren't sharp enough to pick this up on his own, his doctor would have suggested he make changes more gradually.

This show has more in common with "iron man competitions" and extreme sports than it does real world dieting. People are taking real risks, and experiencing real pain, and that's why the prize money has to be there I think. Without it, very few people would be willing to suppress their natural instincts for self-preservation and pain avoidance. Blisters on the bottom of the feet from suddenly doing a lot of walking or running, aren't tiny "new shoe" blisters. They can cover the whole foot, and are extremely painful. I got them on my heels and balls of both feet my first year in college (we pretty much walked everywhere, very few people had cars, or would use them if they did because they didn't want to lose their parking space), and again in graduate school. The blisters were each about 2 - 4 inches across and it was like walking on fire. It isn't just being fat (though friction AND weight do make them worse) as they're also common to military marches, long sight-seeing tours, and marathons and other foot races. The horrible part was that when you have to keep walking on them, they take forever to heal, and you get blisters on top of blisters, and some develop callouses and more blisters develop underneath the callous. At the end of the day, my bandage and likely my sock would be bloody. Sometimes I had to soak my foot in warm water with my bandage and/or sock still on, so I could get them off without tearing up the wound. Really gross.

Having had them before, I'm not sure a guaranteed $250,000 would get me onto a treadmill with those kind of blisters on my feet. I did wonder why Lynn and Jenni didn't switch to a water workout with the blisters, but maybe the campus doesn't have a pool this year, but I thought I saw them preview water challenges. Then again, that would be an open sore, wouldn't it?

knitsforfive
01-02-2008, 10:33 AM
DH and I were wondering how much the people binge before going on the show in order to have a quick weight gain and thus a quick weight loss for the first week.

It's s hard to know what the people are really like or what is really going on behind the scenes because we only see a tiny, chosen bit of their time there.

Based upon what we do see, that Betty-sue is quite entertaining. Also, did anyone else get the idea that the stranger team was hand-chosen with a little match-making in mind? Good for ratings if they fall in love.

I was very impressed with the green team's post-loss, considering it had only been 6 weeks. That's awesome.

onthetee
01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Knits--Yes on the romance! I told DH that if he ever quit puking, they would be caught making out.

Dea
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Based upon what we do see, that Betty-sue is quite entertaining. Also, did anyone else get the idea that the stranger team was hand-chosen with a little match-making in mind? Good for ratings if they fall in love.

I was wondering the same thing....about the stranger team...they make a cute couple.

I got a little tired of Betty-Sue. I think she will face challenges that she just doesn't want to do, and I hope that she doesn't give up as fast as she did during the first challenge. She is good entertainment though.
I was sad to see Lynn go. I think of all the contestants, health-wise, he needed to be there the most. I am very impressed that he lost 30 lbs after he left, but will he be able to stay motivated to loose the rest that he needs to to improve his health?
I am pulling for the mother/son team. I was so excited for her to loose the weight that she did after worrying that she couldn't compete with the big losses.
It looks like it's going to be a good show!

lovnmom
01-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Love the fact that Kim is gone a well.
Beety-Sue, entertaining and I actually realy like her by the end of the show. That surprised me. I think with her background in Competive Swimming if she makes the connection she'll be hard to beat.
The camp workers. So dissapointing. They're in their early 20's and didn't even look like they were trying in the balloon race. It's probably really good that their on. Many of today's youth have no idea how poorly their health is. Maybe more will get motivated to put down the game controller and pick up a a ball or dumb bell.
The online couple are just cute as pie. He's so totally letting her rule his world already. ;) Running when she wants him to even though he's puking. What a guy!!!
At this point I'm totally routing for the mother and son team. They seem to be so close with none of the usual parent child crap about weight.
I think Jillian really hit the mark. She said the couples are going to be hard to work with, because they brought their number one enabler along with them. I can't imagine trying to do something like this with my mother ugghhh shoot me now!
Thanks for the lively discussion. Loved all your insights as well, oh and of course the pick of Bob was really an added plus ok, an A+

Catsgetnhealthy
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
At this point I'm totally routing for the mother and son team. They seem to be so close with none of the usual parent child crap about weight.

I'm rooting for these two as well. And the football teammates.
I was laughing when people were wanting to go to Jillian thinking she's the tougher of the two. Bob's just as tough!
I too am glad Kim isn't on this season. I lost a lot of respect for her when she was telling her red team who needed to go. I don't think that was her place. And I don't blame Amy for her attitude towards Kim after that.

Diva
01-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I think what I loved the most was the Mother from the Mother & Son team, and Ali, Betty Sue's daughter BOTH freaking out and crying @ WI thinking they couldn't compete and show big numbers too and they got up there and had lost so much. What a relief for them and it showed them that they CAN do it. I was happy for them. I teared up too.

onthetee
01-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I think Jillian really hit the mark. She said the couples are going to be hard to work with, because they brought their number one enabler along with them.

See, and I think she may be off the mark. It is easy to focus in the vaccuum of TBL campus, but then you have to go home and decide whether or not your family is a support group or saboteurs. When you have the enabler there, you can work on them as well. While it might be tougher in the beginning, I think that in the long run, they will do better overall. You can work on fixing are larger part of the system, rather than one piece of hoping it will take hold. If education is the key to success, the more people who are working together, the better they will be. If Mom is at the campus with you, and learns, there is a lesser chance of her bringing crappy food to the next family function.

Shay
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Purplefirefly--The purple team are former fat camp participants that became fat camp counselors. Betti-Sue is the mom that could barely make it on the first challenge.

Diva--It got on my freaking nerves when the mom cried from the mom & son team and Ali, Betti-Sue's daughter cried. Get your a.... on the scale and shut up. You should never compare yourself to others in anyway bc everyone is different.

Purple team--I think their age has something to do with it...remember Adrian from season 3? She complained about the workouts, she complained about the challenges etc. Maggie said we're younger we should be doing better. You might want to try a little harder. Maybe going below the yellow line that first week will give them that little kick in the behind they need. They're still in my top 3.

lovnmom
01-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I totally agree that being there together is best for them in the long haul, but if one is resistant to change there's a huge chance of that one taking the other one down with them as well.
I have such a love hate relationship with this show.....I love that everyone's there trying to better themselves and we get to watch. I love the dramatic changes. I love the crying, the anger, the smiles and laughter.. I hate that they drop 25# a week. Of course that's not healthy and sets some viewers up to feel like failures...I hate when I feel sorry for the girl who only lost 7# this week...did I read that right ONLY 7#. I'd be screaming the news from the highest peek if I ever lost 7# in one week....I feel cheated when a player doesn't lose. They're in an environment set up for success....kitchen stocked with healthy foods, best trainers ever, no job to go to, no family to cook for etc....and they still didn't lose? There had to be some late night bingeing going on that the camera crew slept through or editors realize the reality is too real to show, but maybe some viewers need to know there are others out here just like them...but do I miss an episode? Only if I HAVE to! Would I watch if it was a show that lasted a year and half and followed people who lost 1.5# a week...dunno...see love, hate, it doesn't get better than that ;)

chick_in_the_hat
01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I think the stranger team idea is brilliant. I haven't really got a favorite yet - but I think the dynamics of couples teams adds an interesting element. I was amazed that Lynn weighed over 400 pounds...he didn't look that big. He sure did seem ready to go home tho, huh? I also like that they have older contestants this time around. The chick in yellow gets the prize for looking the most like me at my high weight. What a concept to team up with your ex for something so stressful.

onthetee
01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
You should never compare yourself to others in anyway bc everyone is different.

IRL, this is true, but the show is a competition, which is pretty much defined as comparing yourself to others.

As for the large numbers in the first week, it is really just chemistry. If they were eating what I suspect they were eating before the show started, it makes sense. The cells of a 300-pound body have great capacity for holding water. My guess is that they were eating a lot of processed, high-sodium foods. A body that large could easily loose 7-10 pounds of water with sodium reduction and increased water intake. The removal of other toxins will account for some of the loss. I assume their diets also are high-fiber. These folks are probably pooping like geese. Cleared colons weigh much less ;)

sxulcmnky
01-02-2008, 02:51 PM
this is the first season i'm watching it. i have it set to record... recorded it last night.. i'll watch it tonight after work

HoosierHeather
01-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I loved Betty Sue because she was making the best of it. Instead of whining she was having a good time, trying to smile and keep going. And she got good results...I love a postitive attitude.

I am kind of rooting for the mother/daughter team, the one that the daughter had to literally drag her mother down the hill and they were last on that first challenge...what color are they? I am not good with remembering names, so it might take me awhile to remember all these colors :dizzy: But, I would love to see that mother make it to the end and walk proudly up and down that hill on her own...I always love that at the end where they do what they couldn't do on day one.

That was actually Bette-Sue! :lol: I HATED her at the start. She was *****ing and whining all the way during that first race, I can't breathe, I can't go on, wah wah wah.... I was like, NO WAY is this woman going to make it. But by the end my opinion of her had changed. I still don't think she's going to go far - she seems kind of weak to me for some reason (maybe she reminds me of myself!), but I am glad her attitude seemed to change.

kaplods
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I think it's easy to think we would each do so much better, or have a better attitude... than certain contestants if WE were on the show, but it's really an "armchair quarterback" kind of thing. I know that if I were experiencing the kind of pain I know these people are in exercising, and had Jillian in my face, I might burn a lot of calories trying to strangle the life out of her (being in terrible shape, I no doubt would not succeed, but I'd give it a good shot).

When I'm on the treadmill in the apartment basement, I'm cussing and whining most of the way. Now, it's mostly in my head since there's no one there to listen, but unfortunately getting angry is about the only way I can motivate myself to exercise on land. In the water, that's another story. I think the difference is pain. In the water, pain is less of an issue, and I want to get a good workout in and match or exceed my previous workout. When I'm on land, gravity makes every activity hurt, so I have to get mad enough to ignore the pain. It's hard to get that mad. That's why I think Jillian can be effective for some people, but I think that instead of getting mad enough to "show her" I'd get mad enough to slap her (or try).

Purplefirefly
01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Betty Sue had probably not exercised in years, was terribly out of shape, and she probably really couldn't breathe! Let alone how scary it must be to go from a sedentary life to walking that hill. I know if that would have been me when I very first started exercising, I would have been in tears, chest hurting, and probably crying all the way up and down. It is hard when you are heavy and haven't been active in a long time, so I had sympathy for her. I was proud of her that she did lift herself off the ground at the top and touch the thingy, then made her way back down. She could have given up, then I would have hated her and wanted her to go home, but she struggled through. Yes it took her daughter dragging and encouraging her all the way, but sometimes you need someone to stand by and drag you...so, that is why I want her to succeed. I want her to run up that hill at the end, that would be awesome.

I guess maybe I see myself in her, because I was like that when i first started exercising. Now I easily put in 2 hours a day, sometimes all in one session, and love it...she could get there!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Well, I just finished watching and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I so wish Hubby and I could do the show together. I think we would totally kick some butt! I guess it comes as no surprise that my favorite teams are the brown team(married couple) and the divorced team (former marrieds:)) I love seeing the dynamic of these couples and seeing the similarities with Hubby and I.

Shay
01-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Good point, onthetee, about IRL vs the competition. That comparsion thing can be so self destructive but you can't help but do it in that environment and when everything is about numbers.

Diva
01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I know for myslef, if it were me on the ranch, I'd totally be struggling at first. My asthma would prrolly kick in, sore muscles, feet. I'd be a total whiner and be on ALL y'alls last nerve, LOL! I'd like to see Betty Sue climb that dang hill gain too in the end. She never once got on my nreves. Jenn did tho with all her critisms of her Father.

Jen
01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I really think we need a sticky for Bob's pictures!

cuppajoe
01-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey There!

I actually cut short a New Year's get together with friends in order to see the premier...ordinarily I never watch TV, but I'm totally into TBL! It gets me so fired up I watched it while doing an hour on my exercize bike....

It's an exciting lineup, I think. For me, the divorced couple and the mother/son are the two most interesting teams. Betty Sue [noticing how most of us already know her name!] feels like nails on a blackboard to me! And--it seems like TWO "Great Big Guy" teams is too many--the brothers and the former teammates. IMHO, of course. As for the father/daughter team-- I thought you had to go through all kinds of hoops to get on this show and they all but bailed right at the start....I did feel sorry for the grumpy Dad having to listen to his whiney daughter though.

So--HOORAY for TBL!

cuppa:D

My best takeaway advice from this episode is Jillian saying "Sweetheart--DON'T drink your calories!" I'm going to try to remember that one.

sportmom
01-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I heard that, but missed what he was drinking to make her say that? Was it juice or some kind, or adding stuff to his coffee or something?

Hun.e.B
01-03-2008, 12:31 AM
He drank alot of soda, she was correcting that.

~melissa

vixjean
01-03-2008, 12:37 AM
she asked him what he usually drinks, and he said soda.

Yes love the betty sue lady,
and couldn't stand the daugher of the 60 year old, I mean, he was 60 and she lost 7 freeking lbs, she is the reason they left. she lost less than anyone.

I love the BIG black guy (football guy I think)! He is going to do great (they all will--do they have a choice)

Also love the x's!

I guess I love all of them right now, except the two young girls, i don't like how the one said she runs a fat camp, but doesn't hire overweight counselrs, ummm...

FrouFrou
01-03-2008, 02:59 AM
HoosierHeather...ditto! Not really sure what Bettie Sue expected. I mean I know these people know what TBL is about so what did she expect. From the start she got on my nerves and hopefully she either improves or gets kicked off because Idon't know how much of her I can take. But...I was surprised and happy to see her loss.

I guess I just can't take all the whining and crying...I just want to yell to them...suck it up and just do it already!

And I too agree about losing soo much weight soo fast. It can't be healthy for them. I know they are under supervison but still...it's crazy. I was in awe of the numbers though...I don't think I have a fav yet...maybe the married couple and the mom and son teams. It definitely ain't bettie sue! :lol:

ckatgo
01-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I have not read the whole thread, but wanted to chime in...Betty Sue drove me insane the whole show! Nails on the chalk board was accurate! I mean, did she really have to scoot her butt on the ground. I would have been much more sympathic if she just slowly walked. And then to be disappointed your getting Bob!

lovnmom
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
It was the whole scooting DOWN the hill on her butt that got to me too. I mean it's down hill for goodness sake. Have some pride. I was really proud of how her daughter handled it though. Eye rolls, but no screaming. That's some self control!

joliren
01-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree. Did Betty Sue never watch the show before? You would think she might have taken a walk or two before she got to the ranch get those muscles moving. But to sit down and slide down the hil that was too much.

onthetee
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
she asked him what he usually drinks, and he said soda.
And most importantly, it was a product promo! It wouldn't be a TBL without product placement. However, it did get me to order a Brita pitcher. I don't drink individual bottled waters, but I buy the big 2.5 gallon totes because even with TWO filters my water is gaggy. I am hoping I can use the Brita and be happy. Certainly better for the earth, even though I recycle like its a religion.

lovnmom
01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
lol My daughter and I both agreed the Brita pitches are so much better than watching them try to make different desserts, each week, with sugar free jell-o and fat free cool whip. There are only so many ways you can use those two products hee hee Oh yeah, don't forget the sugar free pudding and fat free cool whip combo cloud LOL

ksk571
01-03-2008, 01:28 PM
How about the AWKWARD gum product placement in last season? They reminded me of the "commercials" in The Truman Show!

Jen415
01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't know who will win this year...BUT....I predict the exes will get back together thanks to this show!

practiceliving
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't know who will win this year...BUT....I predict the exes will get back together thanks to this show!

I was thinking the same thing! Especially when he said that bit about one of them giving up, and then they had that whole tender moment before weigh-in...

I also think the biggest loser club pair are going to end up together.:D

What is with BL and the match-making? Matt and Suzy, that other guy who left his wife for another contestant...

onthetee
01-03-2008, 06:21 PM
If the exes are going to get back together, he has to stop making such snide little comments. She cried, but I would have throttled him.

Anyway, we have wondered during past challenges what happened to players after. Last night, I saw Pam from Season 3 doing another commercial to encourage Indiana residents to get off the couch:

http://www.in.gov/inshape/2331.htm

GetSmart
01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm definitely thinking that either the internet team, or the exes will get together at the end of the season. However, I'm rooting for the mother/son team!

Diva
01-03-2008, 07:18 PM
J and I just watched a couple of episodes of the first season on the Style channel and OMG! They seemed so much more emotional and connected then than they are now. I have never seen that season and I missed like the first 4 weeks. We just watched Pete and then Mark get voted off. Does anyone know when they will show the rest? I am totally hooked now.

It's weird because I know Matt and Suzy got together but so far I see absolutely NO romantic connection there. Did it happen after the show was over?

Shay
01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
They don't show it on the show but they say later it was after she cut his hair. Oh yeah, Diva that's Season 2 so you not only need to see the rest of that you need to find out how to catch up with Season 1!

SoulBliss
01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Snide or not what the ex husband said was true. :/

He's so clearly in love with her still and so affectionate that if she doesn't feel the same towards him, I think she really needs to set up some boundaries for both of their good!

sportmom
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Maybe BettySue has bad knees. I know when people do, they are afraid to walk down hill bc of the sensation of their knees giving out on them and making them fall. That could be why she scooted down the hill, bc of fear her knees would buckle.

Matt & SUzy hooked up at the finale. There's an interview with them where she talks about being excited to go back bc she thought there was a spark b4 they left the ranch, but wasn't sure, you know how that is. So she was interested to see if he would pick up where they left off. She said they didn't see each other before, so the shock value would be real, and then during the taping, there was no time to talk, and when he won, they whisked him away to do all the stuff he needed to do. Apparently, there was an after party and only at that did they finally get the time to talk alone and I guess he asked if he could call her or they could meet the next day, and the rest is history! So no, there really was no connection on the show. Even in the final episode at the ranch that I watched on NYDay, Matt was still rolling his eyes at her when she broke down crying at her final weigh in. :lol:

trackersranch
01-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I am bummed because I missed the first episode. I have had my DVR set to record it and it has recorded in the past but I think it is because the title is different. Anyway I will have to start watching next week. I definitely get inspired to get up and do something when I am watching this show. It is amazing how much weight they lose just in the time they are at the ranch. It gives me hope. I want to lose 81 lbs total and would love to be able to lose 31 lbs for a short goal. Maybe end of March? (One of my daughters will be 5 on March 31st) Don't know but am sure going to try! :carrot:

lovnmom
01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Yippy, it's finally Tues. More to talk about tonight and tomorrow!!!

dixied
01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I finally finished watching the show from last week while I folded laundry last night. Can I just say how much I love my TIVO. (See, I could be on BL, I can do product placement)

I'm not sure if I have a favorite team yet, but I like the football players (roll tide!), the mom and son (although I hate his glasses), and the online team (she is going to be gorgeous). I think my least fave was the green team, followed closely by the white team. The white team seems so vanilla and boring, not seeing much personality there, I guess I just can't imagine leaving your small child that long either.

NotTheCheat
01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I just finished listening to Jillian's radio show and she made a comment that we would be absolutely shocked by the weigh ins this week. Of course that was all she could say, but now I am anticipating tonight's episode even more!

HeatherMc
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I have 3 favs so far, the exes, the mother/son, and the internet couple. Not sure which I like the best, guess I will have to just watch them some more to find out!!:D

onthetee
01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
The white team seems so vanilla and boring, not seeing much personality there, I guess I just can't imagine leaving your small child that long either.

I frequently have this beef with contestants. I cannot imagine the sense of abandonment that poor baby felt. No phone calls, no webcams to say, "Hi." Just one day both parents are gone, and you have a different routine, different rules and a different life. It just seems utterly unfair to do that to a child who is not old enough to master logical thought.

knitsforfive
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I frequently have this beef with contestants. I cannot imagine the sense of abandonment that poor baby felt. No phone calls, no webcams to say, "Hi." Just one day both parents are gone, and you have a different routine, different rules and a different life. It just seems utterly unfair to do that to a child who is not old enough to master logical thought.

I thought I was alone in this. I was thinking that it wasn't fair to the baby to have to miss out on his parents for so long during such an important time in his life -- because of what they did to their bodies. I mean, like the rest of us, they could have stayed home and lost weight the old fashioned way -- which is harder -- and been there for their son. But instead, they kind of chose an easy and quick way out -- at the expense of their son. It's not like they were deployed to Iraq or something -- where we could understand the absence -- no matter how sad. They just wanted to lose weight on a famous show.

Yikes -- I guess I hit my own hot button on this one. I am really judgmental!

krjpy
01-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I have to say I see the point of view of how could you leave your baby. I know that leaving my 8 year old would be tough on me and he can at least understand why.

BUT ...

I also understand why they are doing this. They don't want there to come a time when the leave him permanently because they die because they are so overweight.

I finally decided that I (1) never want my son to look at me and see me as overweight, and (2) wanted to make sure that he was seeing me not a picture of me because I was dead due to my weight.

They see the end as justifying the means ... right or wrong in our opinion ... it is the choice they felt that had to make to be there to see their baby grow up.

Purplefirefly
01-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I always feel this way when contestants have children, but this time it struck me harder because it is both parents, and the baby is so small he can't possibly understand. I could never do it myself. Imagine your baby bonding at such critical age with SOMEONE ELSE! That would tear me to shreds, I could not do it! Mine are 4 and 5.5 and still couldn't do it. I love every minute here with them and I would miss so much if I was gone for a few months.

I can't wait for tonight though! A nice 2 hour workout is going to feel so wonderful ;)

onthetee
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I thought I was alone in this.

Homeschooling moms agreeing on this? What are the odds?

Hun.e.B
01-08-2008, 07:27 PM
well, I have to agree with what Kelly said. I think leaving the child for a couple of months to get their lives back is a much better alternative than dying and leaving him/her forever. It may seem like some famous show where you just go to lose weight, but to these people maybe they needed the extreme conditions to actually do it, if they could do it at home (which they all have tried and failed) I'm sure they would have. Maybe this show is their own personal form of GB surgury.

And who knows what environment he was left to, it could be grandparents or other family that has already been a huge influence in the baby's life and he is given constant stimulation and reminders of the parents. Kids are resilient I'd be willing to bet he'll be just fine if not better off to have healthy parents come back. If I could do it I would, it would be the hardest thing I'd ever done, I'd miss my kids so much it would hurt and I know they would miss me, but they'd get back a better, healthier mother. It could be a life or death decision. Just my O!

sportmom
01-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Nope, I couldn't do it either. It might be better if I lived in Ca and could visualize the kids being in the next town over or under 100 miles away - weather would be the same, I could get their fast in an emergency, etc. Being across the whole country and not even in the same time zone? Nope, no way, and mine are pretty old. Though some would argue it's actually harder to leave when they are older & more aware of your absence.

onthetee
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Oh, the brown team in the Hall of Shame....it was just heartbreaking. Two ice cream sodas a day? My kids wouldn't leave me alone long enough to eat that!

I have no love for Neill. He is such a slacker.

chellez
01-08-2008, 10:43 PM
woo! Watching the hall of truth with the Brown Team is really rough.

"We are killing ourselves." Pretty scary stuff.

Not liking Neill.... what a lazy! Orange team is pretty funny.

Still watching my DVR :dizzy:

LondonJulz
01-08-2008, 11:02 PM
dangit, dangit, dangit! Why do I always stinkin' cry my eyes out when this show is on!?!? UGH! The hall of shame, hearing the brown team "we're killing ourselves".... I bawled!!! I know that feeling. My sentaments exactly!!! And then on the phone calls home as well....

Well, I didn't get to watch the show last week, so this is my first week watching it.

My favorite couple so far is the blue team (the strangers). She is already gorgeous, I can't even imagine her at a "healthy" weight.

NoVaVTFan
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Quick thoughts - it is nice to see these people only losing 1-2 pounds in a week - even though I know it must hurt them after working so hard - because that is what it is like in the real world!

Also - I CAN'T STAND the product placement! I can't believe they had the eliminated couple (Mallory and Curtis) doing a little ad for Subway in the middle of their story - how annoying!

chellez
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
woo! just got through the white team call home. CRYING!

suesully
01-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Ugh!!! Don't know how it was elsewhere but they kept interrupting the show with the NH primary results!!! :tantrum: That & the zillion commercials (why didn't they cut away during them???) I got to see most of the show.

Feel bad for Neill's wife (white team). She tries so hard & he does not. Wonder if he's like that at home? They're only newlyweds but that will cause some tension if he's a slacker at home too.

Gotta love Bette Sue! What a character. My favorite team right now is the orange (mom & son) team. They're doing really well too.

Can't wait for next week!!!

kaplods
01-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Just finished watching the show.

My take on the white team - from a developmental perspective their child is at the critical age for the formation of parental attachment. According to most psychological developmental models, separation from either, let alone both parents during the age of about 13 months to 2 1/2 years can have long term psychological consequences. I'm sure they are thinking that it is a better alternative than staying home and staying fat, but it is not their only alternative. If we all believe that the only way we can lose weight is to be on the TBL television show we might as well shut this site off, right now. They do have an alternative - stay home and lose weight at home, keeping their family intact, while doing so.

I was rather annoyed by the supposed "shocker" Jillian predicted. Um, what shocker? Considering the outrageously large weight losses the first week, what were we supposed to see this week? More huge losses? Did anyone bring a chainsaw along to trim the extra pounds? And Jillian's response to it, that it was a shock to her, and that it made her question everything she thought she knew, or some garbage like that. You mean, in her entire education and career as a personal trainer (which we assume started before the television show), she's never heard of a person gaining a pound in the course of a week despite doing everything right? What planet has she been on?

I also thought asking Mallory if she "regretted" the 210 calories she ate during the challenge? I'm sorry, but 2 oz of M&Ms did not put on that pound. Even Jillian freaking on Paul, for budgeting the challenge into his daily calories was rather crazy. She said that he didn't know what effect the foods would have on water retention - if they were getting all this education they were supposed to, he should have. He should have known to avoid the high-sodium foods (maybe the drumsticks). It made me wonder if she was really ragging on him for eating at all the day before a weigh-in.

The audience manipulation annoys me. It makes me wonder if this was one of the "short" weeks, and how short was it? 5 days? 2?

Shay
01-08-2008, 11:46 PM
The NH primary thing was happening here and I was like no they didn't...LOL. The mini subway commercial was ridiculous! Okay with the cutaways for the primaries did I miss the prize? Oh yeah, the brown team was doing pretty good at home.

zinkemomx2
01-09-2008, 12:13 AM
I was wondering what the orange team won as well.

I think the eliminated team had a wake up call in the hall of shame. I think it even woke me up a bit. I've never really dieted for any more than a day or two at a time. I did WW for about 8 weeks this fall but even then I wasn't counting nearly as well as I should have. That hall of shame made me want to count for a week and figure out the yearly totals. I might have to try.

knitsforfive
01-09-2008, 12:24 AM
I was so sad the brown team went home. I was rooting for them.

I really liked seeing normal numbers.

Angie
01-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, the brown team was my favourite, so I guess I'll have to figure out a new one now.

I really like Amanda from the white team, but can't stand Neill. I'm not crazy over the yellow team either. Maybe I'll cheer for Bette Sue now. I do like the stranger couple too. They tried really hard in the challenge.

practiceliving
01-09-2008, 01:45 AM
From the brown team in the hall of shame, the "I didn't know it was this bad" was what REALLY got me. That really hit home for me. :(

I like that Jilian called Neill on saying he was there to get thin! We all want to be thin(ner), but the reasons WHY are what matters, what motivates. He wasn't thinking about that, I don't think.

OMG the phone calls home made me BAWL. So sweet, all of them. I lived away from home for 3months when I was 15, and I remember how much I missed my family and friends, and how much my parents missed me... I can only imagine how it is for all these folks, when they are working so hard and processing so much emotional development.

I didn't like the temptation this episode. It seemed like too much of a binge, rather than teaching them healthy ways to incorporate tempting foods.

I think this episode really underscored for me how CRAZY our bodies are... that the women who worked hard and didn't eat in the temptation lost very little, and the guy who ate 925calories in the temptation lost 7lbs. What the heck!?

jlbake
01-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Wow! Just saw it. I'm not sure why, but both weeks have made me really emotional. I've never cried watching TBL before, but I've bawled both weeks of this season. Maybe it's because I'm now ready to lose the weight.

knitsforfive and onthetee-- are you both homeschool moms? I homeschool my kids too. I also have a hard time with the white team leaving their baby for so long. I would never do that. Don't risk your child's development when it's possible to lose weight at home. Hire a personal trainer instead.

I agree with kaplods that their baby's psychological development is way too important at this age. Just do a google search on Erickson's 8 Stages of Development. (I would post a link to a great chart, but I need a higher post count before I can post links.)

It was good to see real numbers. Is it possible that they had the lower numbers due to over-training? I wasn't surprised that the black team lost weight and won the $5000. I knew that would happen.

I'm still not sure who my favorite team is. I like the blue team and the black team. I think the black team will win.

Briefasa Hime
01-09-2008, 06:36 AM
I like the orange team. They're so much like me and my mom!

I was crying like crazy last night, too. Especially when some of them called home!

And the "Hall of Shame" ... I felt so sick after that! I starting crying during that, too! "We're killing ourselves."

Andi18
01-09-2008, 08:01 AM
This was definitely an emotional episode with the hall of shame and the calls home. I will also admit that I had some tears during this episode :(

It was hard to see the brown team leave, but it also would have been hard to see the ex' go too.

I still don't like Neill's attitude. I like how Jillian took him outside alone and had a one-on-one with him :kickbutt: It was hard to see Amanda loss -0- and Neill lose 6 or 7 lbs... WTH :dunno:

Orange team, even though they have now one two weeks in a row, there is something there that I just don't like and I can't pin my finger on it.

I can definitely see the brothers going far unless they slip up one week. They remind me of Jim & Bill.

The camp counselor's, I hope for their health that they go far. I know how hard it is to be overweight with your best friend.

Bette-Sue and her daughter...I love Bette-Sue's attitude! She reminds me of my best friend's mom LOL I hope they go far! And look at her lose that weight this week! Go Bette-Sue!! :cheer:

Brittany and Bernie I also hope go far! They are so cute together ;) :lol: Can tell they work well together! I wish they would've gotten a calling card this week :( It's got to be hard being the only ones there that haven't known each other for years.

Purplefirefly
01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
I was rather annoyed by the supposed "shocker" Jillian predicted. Um, what shocker? Considering the outrageously large weight losses the first week, what were we supposed to see this week? More huge losses? Did anyone bring a chainsaw along to trim the extra pounds? And Jillian's response to it, that it was a shock to her, and that it made her question everything she thought she knew, or some garbage like that. You mean, in her entire education and career as a personal trainer (which we assume started before the television show), she's never heard of a person gaining a pound in the course of a week despite doing everything right? What planet has she been on?

The audience manipulation annoys me. It makes me wonder if this was one of the "short" weeks, and how short was it? 5 days? 2?

Okay, I totally was shocked along with Jillian here! In past seasons most do still lose large numbers the second week. i don't know that in any past season there has been a consistent low number from about everyone like this...has there? Usually they still lose a lot, especially the men. The women slow down more than the heavier men, but heck last season some of those men were losing in the double digits several weeks in a row, remember? So it probably was a shock to see so many have 1-2 lb. losses in the second week.

You have to remember, they are not living normal life; their losses are not the same as us in the real world. They are doing a ton more exercise and eating controlled meals, etc. so it is more than possible to drop big numbers two weeks in a row. I was shocked myself! I expected some would be low from Jillian's radio show, but did not expect to see about everyone dropping low.

I think it was Bob who said maybe them training together didn't work...maybe not, who knows :shrug:

AND I have heard her say on her radio program to expect to have a week or two where you see a small gain, that it is normal. Remember you are seeing an edited version of what she says and they are going to play up the shock value for the sake of TV. Plus again, gains on this show are usually done on purpose (but I don't think last night's gain was)...look back to past seasons, small gains are not common and losing 0 is really uncommon. And yes, she was a trainer long before being on the show...that's how she got on the show.

Anyway, I am not sure what you mean by audience manipulation...what did I miss? :)

sportmom
01-09-2008, 10:17 AM
OK, on the cutaways to the primaries, I think everyone had those as it was national NBC pulling that, not locals. Anyway, we did not miss any of the show. Everytime they came back from the primary, the show started fresh, which you could tell because it had the parental rating in the upper left corner, which only happens when they return from commercials. So they did not broadcast over anything, and in fact, did use their commercial time to run the primary information. So don't feel cheated, it was ok. I was annoyed the first time too but then realized it started fresh after each update and we never joined mid scene or anything.

I muted it for all the phone calls after the white team. I realized, oh please, they are going to make us listen to all FIVE stinking calls home, that's going to be like 45 minutes of the 2 hour show. What a waste. I don't need to see everyone being dragged down the emotional drain x5. So I didn't let myself be manipulated by NBC last nite. :lol:

I wonder if they are working to make the show more realistic after all the slams about unrealistic weight loss. Yes, week 2 is a lower loss week, bc yes I do think it is 5 days after the previous week's 10 or so days. But in past seasons that has been 6 lbs instead of 12. Not as many people losing 1 or 2 as last nite. Do you think they are MAKING people drink water after the workout and not letting them dehydrate themselves before the weigh in? Hmmm, that would be interesting. I don't know how they could "make" people do anything, but maybe they put rules out that effect or something and so people are following them. Well, we'll see what next week brings.

And the Michigan primary is next Tuesday, so yeah, be prepared for more of the NBC primary newsbreaks. ;)

knitsforfive
01-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I've been thinking about the challenge and I realize that it seems like a good metaphor for our eating habits in real life. At first, I thought it was mean that they offered 5000.00 to the person who consumed the highest amount of calories. Then I realized that I find myself putting that high of a value on many social situations. How many times have I told myself "It is a special occasion"; "It's a once-in-a-lifetime event"; "It will be months before I can indulge like this again" and then overate? I can convince myself that any event is a 5000.00 event and worth the calories. So I liked watching people struggle with it and especially liked seeing people teach themselves that the calories are not worth the money.

Yup -- JBAKE -- another HSing mom here. You know -- I think that the reason this issue especially touches me is that my older 2 kids came to our family through international adoption and they were older (21 m. and 3 years). We had no choice as to whether or not we got to bond with them in those developmental months and we would have given anything ANYTHING to have that chance. Bonding with them was very tough, a challenge unlike any we have had while bonding with our child who joined the family from birth. ANd the worse part is that my kids never chose to be born into a situation where they would not get to bond with a caregiver, but they are the ones who carry that sadness and loss with them. SO it irks me to see people CHOOSE to leave a child during that vital period of time when they could have done what they needed to do at home -- albeit with more dedication and less support (like the rest of us).

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Just finished watching the show.

My take on the white team - from a developmental perspective their child is at the critical age for the formation of parental attachment. According to most psychological developmental models, separation from either, let alone both parents during the age of about 13 months to 2 1/2 years can have long term psychological consequences. I'm sure they are thinking that it is a better alternative than staying home and staying fat, but it is not their only alternative. If we all believe that the only way we can lose weight is to be on the TBL television show we might as well shut this site off, right now. They do have an alternative - stay home and lose weight at home, keeping their family intact, while doing so.

As a psych major and someone who has taken many many courses on childhood development and adolescent behavior I've got to question the comment on "most psychological dev. models, stating that separation from either let alone both parents during the age of 13 months to 2 1/2 years can have long term psych consequences." That would really vary from behavior model and the school of learning, who was influencing it. If it was Freud yeah probably but not say someone like Watson who was credited with the foundation of behavioralism and his beliefs were that you shouldnt even show your child affection. I think we'd be hard pressed to find concrete, replicated studies where 3 or 4 months away from your child causes "long term psych consequences." But I'd be willing to read them! These people obviously couldnt do it at home or they would have. Would we fault them if they had to go away to rehab for drug addiction? Why is this not the same category? Anyway, just my opinion.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
These people obviously couldnt do it at home or they would have. Would we fault them if they had to go away to rehab for drug addiction? Why is this not the same category? Anyway, just my opinion.

I agree 100%. My Dad was in the Air Force and left for a year three different times before I was 10. Yes, I did have my Mom. But, my bond with my Dad was strong and still is strong. We can sit here and say that these people can stay home and do this, but take a look at our population. How many people start a diet, stick with it and learn a new way of living? The statistics are extremely sobering. I'm 43 years old and just now finding my way on this whole thing. My daughter's are 8 and 11 and already have a tendency to gain weight. I believe this is because they have learned poor eating behaviours from me and Hubby. What have we taught them? How much better would it be if these parents can learn this stuff early and teach their son the right way to eat for life? And, hopefully, they will be healthy parents who live a nice long life and are there for their son.

xJox
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I dunno why but Im not as interested in the show this time. The only one I really like is Betty Sue. lol.

dixied
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I really still don't like the white team, but I don't think they'll stay above the yellow line for long. He seems like such a whiner.

I was impressed that Bette-Sue got up and got back on the treadmill. I've done that zone out fall on you butt thing and it's scary.

About the calling cards. I think the 2 teams that went ahead and finished the challenge should have got the cards, because they didn't quit.

chellez
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
When Betty Sue fell, if they had be using the proper safety equipment that comes with the treadmill then it should have automatically cut off.

Those little safety clips and strings aren't for kinky sex toys.... they are for safety!

:lol:

Catsgetnhealthy
01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I thought I was alone in this. I was thinking that it wasn't fair to the baby to have to miss out on his parents for so long during such an important time in his life -- because of what they did to their bodies. I mean, like the rest of us, they could have stayed home and lost weight the old fashioned way -- which is harder -- and been there for their son. But instead, they kind of chose an easy and quick way out -- at the expense of their son. It's not like they were deployed to Iraq or something -- where we could understand the absence -- no matter how sad. They just wanted to lose weight on a famous show.

Yikes -- I guess I hit my own hot button on this one. I am really judgmental!

I look at it differently. They couldn't do it on their own, or they would have. They needed this. And listening to part of the phone call, the kid didn't sound upset as I'm sure he's hanging out with the grandparents and being well taken care of. I don't think it was an easy choice for them as this being the first time away from their son for more than a couple of days.

Catsgetnhealthy
01-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I was so sad the brown team went home. I was rooting for them.

I really liked seeing normal numbers.

I was rooting for them too. But knew out of the couples up for elimanation, they'd be the ones that would be okay and would be able to do it on their own. They looked great on how much they've lost and can't wait to see them at the finale.

Catsgetnhealthy
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
In past seasons most do still lose large numbers the second week. i don't know that in any past season there has been a consistent low number from about everyone like this...has there?

The season before this, the women had low loses. Beside the one chick losing 20lbs, it seemed that they'd average 2-5#'s with an occasional 8# loss in there, iirc. On the Australia BL, those women always seemed to have bigger losses on the average. I'd sit there with my calculator converting kilos to pounds.

lovnmom
01-09-2008, 12:30 PM
This is my opinion, don't hang me. I found most all of last night's episode extremely boring....the challenge was so short it was over before I hardly realised it had started....we virtually saw nothing of the pink, blue, or orange teams....way TOOOOOOOOOO much of Neill. He's been given a huge opportunity that so many wish they could have and he's just L-A-Z-Y, but watch...they'll turn him into the man of the hour. That already started some last night when he suddenly was the one counting push up reps for the group. I guess I just found the focus on him to be a little staged....the Hall of Shame was heart breaking..to see your soda consumption broke down to
100's of pounds of sugar had to be eye opening for many a viewer as well...I was so glad to see the brown team doing well at home...I wish they had lasted longer. I think they would have been a fun couple to watch..they were emerging as my favorite, but I still haven't been able to pick just one couple. I like the brothers, but I so want a woman involved in the win this time, I like the son, but the mom and her bringing up both weeks how she doesn't expect to do as well as the younger people is getting to me. No whining, get on the scale and let's see!!..Keep the talk coming..I love everyone's comments and take on the show!!

Purplefirefly
01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
lovnmom--I am not finding this season as exciting either. It is enough to keep me exercising the entire 2 hours, but I just wasn't as thrilled last night as I was in previous seasons. I think for me it's all the teams. I take awhile to remember names, let alone all these teams and colors :dizzy: Just seems we don't really get to see as much of most of them...but as more get booted off this should change.

I was shocked Bette Sue got back up, but doing so made me think even more of her. Had that been Neil...forget it, he'd use it as an excuse to go lazy around some more. I really wanted the white team to go because he doesn't seem like he really wants to be there and she just looks so sad and upset all the time, walking around with a frown. I would like to tell her cheer up, look at the opportunity she has...don't let that fool of a husband ruin her experience!

Oh, and I also thought the blue team deserved the last set of cards because they pushed through and finished the seesaw even after the lost...the brown team as well and they got one, blue deserved it as well.

ggmugsy
01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Chellez - I'm with you about the safety key on the treadmill. STUPID not to wear it. I wonder what company is handling their insurance . . .

As for the white team. The kid sounded fine. I wonder if their marriage will survive if she has another baby. Neill reminds me of my first husband. A total whiner. I could carry me, him and one kid. It was the 2nd kid that made me look at him and his contribution and see he was just dead weight dragging me down.

I love the pink team. I think the orange team is kicking ***. I think the guy from the yellow team got his just desserts after his comment to his wife last week about her giving up. He let her down and he knows it. Touche'. I like both the purple and blue teams, too. I think the purple team deserved the calling card over the white team. JMHO.

I just really want to see a team with a woman win. I'm SICK AND TIRED of TBL always being a very heavy man.

practiceliving
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Those little safety clips and strings aren't for kinky sex toys.... they are for safety!

:rofl: :rofl:

That did bug me too - they should be using the safety clips! Gotta love Bette-Sue though, getting right back at things. My boyfriend watched part of the episode with me and was like "damn that lady has SPUNK!" High praise from a boy who usually has no interest in BL at all! ;)

As for the white team, I think it's easy for us to watch this show and judge them but we DON'T know them or their lives. We see a highly edited sliver of who they are and how they lead their lives. It's not like they've left their kid alone, either, it sounds like he's with close family members. He'll still be getting love, learning, laughter, etc., and this way he'll hopefully have a healthy mum and dad around to bond and teach and share joy with him for most of his lifetime.

Purplefirefly
01-09-2008, 01:56 PM
So how old is the white team's baby? From the first show I thought he was an infant, then he looked older in the same video last night, and he definitely talked way better than an infant. I"m confused, he looks so small but didn't talk so small.

practiceliving
01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
So how old is the white team's baby? From the first show I thought he was an infant, then he looked older in the same video last night, and he definitely talked way better than an infant. I"m confused, he looks so small but didn't talk so small.

I looked at their profiles on the NBC site, and it sounds like he was born in the summer of 2005. I think they started filming this season a couple months ago, so he'd be 2-ish.

Diva
01-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I guess I had ADD last night because I barely paid attention to the entire show. I just didn't seem to care and chatted on Yahoo with my BFF instead, lol! ALL I remember seeing was Betty Sue bite it on the treadmill, and I said OMG, I hope that doesn't happen to me because I am a TOTAL clutz! I'm glad tohear that they have a safety do-dad. Kudos to her for getting back up though. I really like her.

I completely missed the Hall of Shame thing, but from the sounds of the soda situation, I am glad I never got into it. I drink maybe 1 or 2 diet rootbeers a month and that's that. But now I can certainly see where J's sister is so big. She drinks a cartoon of pepsi's a day. :dizzy: I am surprised she hasn't been diagnosed with Diabetes yet. I mean, I have it and she's at least 100 lbs bigger than me. I am hoping to inspire her.

I like the Mom on the orange but the son seems creepy to me.

I had no feelers one way or the other about brown except I did feel for the Dad that he coyldn't get insurance. What the **** kind of country is this that they won't insure you no matter what your weight? Very sad indeed, but It has me scared that once J and I marry, his insurance will tell me that and I'll be most embarrassed. Yet another reason to lose this BEFORE I marry him.

The White team. I think Neil is only there for his wife. She seems to really want it, but I do agree, she wals around sad all the time. She should accept that this is what they decided to do to lose this weight and cease the day. her husband reminds me of my ex husband...He also reminds me of WHY he's my ex husband. LOL! Poor girl....

The yellow team. I think these two really do love one another and still care deeply for eachother, but they also have some issues to work through. The romantic in me wants them to lose this weight and get to the bottom of these issues and find their way back to one another. :val1:

I have no feelers one way or the other for any of the other peeps right now. perhaps I'll rewatch it if it airs on Bravo before next weeks show.

eastcoastgirl
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Diva: I was totally the same - I kept switching back and forth between watching BL and watching election coverage on my laptop, and I just didn't ever get that into this episode. I think most of the competitors this time around are kind of boring, and especially the guys (esp. white and yellow team) seem very clingy and dependent on their wives, and then just because of their male genes, they lose weight without putting in as much effort as their poor wives.

Did anyone else notice that the yellow team seems to be sharing a room with one bed?? They are a bit weird for a divorced couple, I think. I wonder which one of them had the idea to try out for the show, and if they're actually divorcees who are dating each other and thinking about getting back together.

Also, has the orange team been on at all other than in the weigh-ins and when they tsk at the seemingly-lazy contestants? I just don't get much of a sense of what they're like, though I second the creepy vibe Diva mentioned about the kid. He just seems a bit old to be such a mama's boy! But maybe he's in college and living at home or something.

Dea
01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Ditto on the creepy son...and mom is driving me nuts too. I watched their reasons for voting last week (NBC.com) and they were kind of mean talking about Jenn and Lynn.
Sorry to see the brown team go, and I was sad that the blue team didn't get to call home....finishing the challenge and all.
I too hope that Neil comes around. Good call for Jillian to challenge him on hiding behind his size...I think that was the ticket for him. At some point, you need to want to do it for yourself, without being "pushed" by someone else...Niel needs to get to that point.
Kudos to the contestants who didn't give into temptation...don't know if I could!!
And Yes....it would be nice to see a woman biggest loser for a change!! Go Bette Sue!!

ksk571
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Did anyone else notice that the yellow team seems to be sharing a room with one bed?? They are a bit weird for a divorced couple, I think. I wonder which one of them had the idea to try out for the show, and if they're actually divorcees who are dating each other and thinking about getting back together.

The TV guide channel had an hour long show about this season's contestants. I only caught a little bit here and there, but I did catch the yellow team. She applied to be on it and got accepted. Since they were doing a couples season, they asked her who else in her life she thought could benefit. He was the one overweight person she thought of. He acted like he wouldn't mind getting back together, but she implied there was no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that would happen. It seems the breakup was mostly her decision.

That scenario makes me wonder about all of the other teams. One applied and the other one was recruited. So for all of the discussion on the white team, they probably didn't both anticipate being on campus when they applied. And the dad from the green team didn't seem as ready to be there. That could explain a lot of the dynamics of teams where one seems to want to be there more than the other.

dixied
01-09-2008, 03:55 PM

I thought so too at first, but then they showed the room from another angle and there were two beds.

onthetee
01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
:D Chelle-- I am mortified. I have been using my safety cord for ALL the wrong reasons.

Kaplods--:cp:

Bake--yes, I am a reluctant homeschooling mom.

I agree about this season's not being as exciting, but for me, I like the reduction in drama. I honestly hope all the teams do well, except for Neill who should shot in the butt with pea shooter. I understand Jillian's telling him that he is using his weight as an excuse and as a wall against having to try anything real in his life. And it was nice that he made more effort in the end. I don't think it will last--his commitment to weight loss or his marriage.

Each season I usually have someone that I root against (Nicole, Neil, Amy from last season...) I really hope have positive feelings toward all the teams this season.

Did we ever get an official word on why Kim is not there this season?

krjpy
01-09-2008, 04:34 PM
According to Wikipedia:

"For the Fifth Season, Michaels became the lone female trainer. According to Rene Lynch of the Los Angeles Times, Lyons stepped back from the program to finish personal projects that she had already started before signing on, including a video series. She is currently not sure whether she will be a part of the show in the future."

That is their story at least.

lovnmom
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
The first night there was talk about the yellow team having difficulties conceiving. I'm wondering if the stress from that was the only "real" reason for her wanting to end the marriage. If so, I hope they can find some kind of renewed relationship.
What did the orange team win????

chick_in_the_hat
01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Chelle-- I am mortified. I have been using my safety cord for ALL the wrong reasons.
:lol3:
The NH primary thing was happening here and I was like no they didn't...LOL. Okay with the cutaways for the primaries did I miss the prize?
You didn't miss it - the primary thing was called long before BL came on in CA...they never announced it that I could see. :dunno:

I thought Blue Team should have gotten calling cards for finishing the challenge. But it had to be a hard decision (I can't really imagine they used strategy...IMHO White won't be around much longer).

The Hall of Shame thing was interesting...everything would look like a huge number if I multiply by 365. Over the course of a year I will have consumed quite a bit of a lot of things...including healthy stuff. A good wake up call, tho. :eek: Just seeing oneself talking so passionately about unhealthy food would make me think twice.

kaplods
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
- Melissa

I did say developmental models (Freud, Jung, Erikson, Bowlby, AInsworth - I do not consider behaviorism a developmental model). My bachelor's degree had a behavioral focus, but my master's degree is in developmental psychology, so I am admittedly biased. It's been over 10 years since grad school, so I don't have research citations, but if you're interested Mary Ainsworth's work and more generally Attachment Theory and attachment disorder researcy are great places to start.

If the child is indeed over two, which it does appear, I would be considerably less concerned. Regardless, I think it is insane for anyone to believe that TBL is the only way weight loss can be accomplished. Does that mean we shut down this site because "it can't" be done at home? Two young adults in a household both commited to weight loss would be the ideal for many of us. I can't help but assume the quarter of a million dollars is the bigger pull, call me cynical.

And Purplefirefly while I agree that past seasons have shown large losses in weeks 2 and 3, the losses in this seasons first week were INSANE - again don't think it should be a surprise to anyone.

As for Audience manipulations you said it yourself "Remember you are seeing an edited version of what she says and they are going to play up the shock value for the sake of TV". -- Pretty much the definition of audience manipulation, I just think it's overly transparent on the show. Maybe it's no different than other "reality" or more accurately "unscripted" shows, but this is really the only one I've ever watched regularly. In fact, I think the only other "reality" show I've seen more than a few minutes of is a couple episodes of "Fear Factor."

Part of my frustration is that I keep trying to compare it to more "documentary" type shows. I want to know how it "really" works. I want to know that a week is 7 days, and whether a contestant drank three gallons of water before the first weigh-in.

"Little things" like the seesaw challenge. The laws of physics made it an incredibly unfair challenge. Contestant couples who were the closest in weight would have an extreme advantage, and the couple with the greatest difference in weight would be the most disadvantaged.

I guess what I want to see is more shows on how real people are able to really lose weight in real life. However, since there's a shortage of those shows I watch what's available and then gripe. It's not a perfect show, but at least it shows fat people as real human beings, with real lives and real problems and not subhuman idiots (or as with most media portrayals, completely nonexistent).

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not gonna say who my favorite is because I swear every time I pick someone to root for they go home...so upsetting! I was kinda hoping purple would fall below, for whatever reason I dont like them, but I have no reasoning why.

I keep forgetting to say this though, but who else thought the balloon challenge last week looked like fun? I wanna do that! I also thought the teeter totter challenge looked like all kinds of fun too! I REALLY dont like the temptation challenges, I'm finding it hard to see where that kind of thing is reinforcing or necessary. Just seems cruel and then the trainers come and degrade them a little more.

I had to laugh reading someone's comment on how doing this was "taking the easy way out" all I gotta say to that is WOW!! Easy..working out hard 4-8 hours a day and being away from family. I wonder if Bob and Jillian would think what they are doing is so easy.

FrouFrou
01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Another one here that was a little bored. And I too didn't want to hear the calls home so got up and did things. I just thought it so unfair that the cards went to the least deserving people...especially Neill, ugh! I just thought they should have given them to the two teams who actually finished the challenge...so unfair. Didn't matter if they had kids at home or not, they deserved it.

Not really liking the two brothers...and I hope it's not a repeat of the same...two brothers winning.

Bette Sue is still getting on my nerves...maybe it is just that goofy looking hairdo. :dunno: I was sorry to see her fall but was so hoping she would have gone home. What a fall, ouch, poor thing. She's lucky she didn't hurt herself and I too wonder why they are not using the clip things.

I think right now my favs are the orange team, yellow team, and the blue team...I would love to see the Blue team take it for sure I think.

I guess I wasn't so sad that the brown team was booted...something about them I just didn't like...maybe because she hate the candy, lol. But..I was glad to see the end and how they went on to lose weight...they looked great. Another but...but, she said she was at 184 and in a size 9-wth! I find that hard to believe...that is a pound less than me and there's no way I will ever believe she got in a size 9...no matter how differently built we are...no way!

Anway, hoping the episodes get a little more interesting and...there are more with the challenges instead of Neill...had enough of him already!

COLLEEN...I totally agree with your post 100%!

MELISSA...I thought they looked like fun too! Made me and DD talk about going to the park to play. But also remembering times when they were growing up that we went to the park and played together. So many times we went and you would not believe the number of mothers just sitting on the sidelines not playing with their kids. I just see all the missed opportunities to spend time with the kids and to get in exercise! I never passed an opportunity to play on the merry-go-round, swings or see-saws...I was right there with them, lol.

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I would really reconsider using the word insane. Attatchment theory is just one theory of many many many theories in the field of psychology and you said "most", that was what I was questioning. Also, I dont remember saying that TBL is the ONLY way to lose weight, obviously not or why would any of us even try. What I did say was that for these people, doing it at home wasnt working and they needed extreme measures. Perhaps the prize is additional incentive, hey I wish I had it too. Reinforcement is a pretty major princple of behavior modification.

What I dont understand is all the negativity. I have serious problems with degrading another persons parenting decisions because they are trying to better themselves to be better parents to those children they had to chose to leave for a time. I'm guilty of stating that I dont like a person on the show for one reason or another but personally draw the line at vicious attacks on their personal lives. Those are just my own decisions and everyone is entitled to their own. Just makes me sad to see it happen. I can only imagine being in their shoes, how it must feel to make a choice to leave my child for 4 months, the guilt that would go along with it, not to mention all the other demons a person has to fight in the weight loss journey and then to have people saying I was "causing long term psychological damage"? But again we are all entitled to our opinions, mine is that the child is going to be better off because of all of this.

onthetee
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
- Melissa

Regardless, I think it is insane for anyone to believe that TBL is the only way weight loss can be accomplished. Does that mean we shut down this site because "it can't" be done at home? Two young adults in a household both commited to weight loss would be the ideal for many of us. I can't help but assume the quarter of a million dollars is the bigger pull, call me cynical.

My almost-three-year-old still won't go to gym daycare, but you know what I do? I hire a sitter for an hour. On the days that DH is not home in time for me to go to the gym before I collapse, I have our neighbor over at $6/hour to watch the kids while I go work out. If you can leave him for three month, you can leave him for an hour a day....

I guess I wasn't so sad that the brown team was booted...something about them I just didn't like...maybe because she hate the candy, lol. But..I was glad to see the end and how they went on to lose weight...they looked great. Another but...but, she said she was at 184 and in a size 9-wth! I find that hard to believe...that is a pound less than me and there's no way I will ever believe she got in a size 9...no matter how differently built we are...no way!

Yeah....I don't know where she buys her pants, but I am going! I know that at 173, I was a 14, but could cram into a 12. At 157, I am solidly a 12, but can cram into a 10. Maybe there is a store called, "The Lies We Tell Ourselves". I would shop there in a heartbeat!

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
old navy!! Their sizes are big, my dd who normally wears a 5 or even 7 in some sizes wears a 2 at old navy. Hey, maybe I can fit my big butt into a 10! LOL!

Diva
01-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I thought the balloon challenge looked fun too!

I seems like we are going to have to agree to disagree on some of the teams on this couples TBL. Not all of us are going to like or dislike the same people or agree with some their decisions to be on the show.

Not everyone likes my Betty Sue but I Love her anyways lol!

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
LOL..I'm not sure how I feel about Betty Sue. I know I get tired of her facial expressions but the girl has spunk! And determination in spades. Looks like next week is a pretty emotional one for her.

~melissa

chellez
01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
and I too wonder why they are not using the clip things.

I'm telling you... they are keeping them for extracurricular activities! :devil:

onthetee
01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
And speaking of clip things....what are the women using to hold their shirt sleeves up? I try to tuck mine into the strap of my jog bra, but depending on what I am doing, they just don't hold.

FrouFrou
01-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Melissa...Okay, I am heading to old navy, lol!

Chellez...:lol: Must be because they are not using them for what they need ot be used for!

Pink...you are right. But then that's what makes the world go round...we all are different and have different views. Would be such a boring place if we were all the same wouldn't it?

kaplods
01-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually Melissa, My original statement was "According to most psychological developmental models" not most psychological theories. By developmental models, I precisely mean those which address development in terms of "stages" of development and "critical periods" for such development. I still stand by the statement, but substitue "many" if you prefer.

As for "insane" I did not mean the word clinically, of course, and I do not know what you mean by vicious attacks. Criticism is not an attack. My personal opinion is that a child's development take precedence over the parents desire for self-improvement. On a completely personal not, I cannot fathom leaving such a small child for three months even for a million dollars and a dream body. Just imagining the sacrifice not only on my part, but that forced upon the child would motivate me to do it at home. $250,000 and quick weight loss, weighed against three months of my child's life and a lot of hard, slow work at home. Professionally, if these parents were clients, I would advise them against subjecting their child to such a long (at least potentially) separation from both parents if they can at all help it, which in this case, they can. There ARE alternatives. In my estimation, there are BETTER alternatives. Stating so, is not a vicious attack, just a personal observation and opinion, that is based NOT solely on my "feelings," but opinions backed by empirical evidence and my own clinical experience. Does that make it incontrovertible? Absolutely not. There are other opinions, and those that hold them are free to state them.

I do not believe that being in this competition will in any way change their parenting skills for the better or worse, or that the child will necessarily be better for it. It is just as possible (well actually statistically more likely) that they will go home (with or without any prize money) and return to their former habits and will be no better or worse parents for it.

I do not believe that parenting choices are sacrosanct. I believe that discussion of what is and is not best for children is open to discussion, and does not constitute a vicious attack, particularly in a forum such as this where we are stating opinions, not in any way influencing or affecting these parents' choices.

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
again...you have no clue what the situation is, only what you see on tv so I really question you being so quick to judge and make recommendations. Thats the last I'm gonna say on the topic because obviously we feel differently and I choose not to judge someone on things I'm clueless about. So thanks for the discussion but for me it ends here. Good luck White team!

~melissa

GirlyGirlSebas
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Yada yada yada...blah blah blah. Can I just be one the simple minded one who likes to veg in front of the TV and enjoy one of my favorite shows? At my age, I'm past the point of analyzing all of this stuff. After all, the reality is that this "reality" show has been seriously edited and is not reality at all! For me, its a fun show with people doing what I dream of doing one day....losing a lot of weight and getting made over! Fun Fun!
Just my 2 cents! :D So, let's get on with the business of enjoying the show. Who's with me?

Diva
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Yada yada yada...blah blah blah. Can I just be one the simple minded one who likes to veg in front of the TV and enjoy one of my favorite shows? At my age, I'm past the point of analyzing all of this stuff. After all, the reality is that this "reality" show has been seriously edited and is not reality at all! For me, its a fun show with people doing what I dream of doing one day....losing a lot of weight and getting made over! Fun Fun!
Just my 2 cents! :D So, let's get on with the business of enjoying the show. Who's with me?

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo with you! :hug:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~The "other" Ronda who is from Georgia, lol!;)

kaplods
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
We've had these conversations before, and I have to ask - are there others out there for whom analyzing and critiquing and even griping are PART of the enjoyment of the show? If so, do our opinions and conversations belong on another thread?

SoulBliss
01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Forgive me if this tangent is too far out there, but this is what's on my mind:

I think that, of all the boards I have been on in the past 15 years, 3FC is the one where any discussion that even borders on debate is frowned upon most, avoided and often misinterpreted.

Me, when there is a difference of opinions, I view it as an opportunity to learn and I like to be direct, hash it all out and take something away from the experience. I like a little friendly debate and discussion!

I don't attack people, name call and the like, but people may sometimes still see my directness and outspokenness as uncouth, unladylike (whatever the **** that means :lol: ) and in general unacceptable. This makes me sad. :(

I don't care for passive-aggressive behavior. If I have something to say, I say it, taking the other people and their feelings into consideration, naturally, but I like to be as real with people on the internet as I am with my face to face friends and family.

Not everyone feels the same.

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm with you Rhonda and Roni! I'd prefer to just enjoy the show, root for my favorites, get my inspirations and that be the end of it. It is after all just a tv show! Analyzing things when you cant possibly have the whole story takes the enjoyment out of it. And the negative bashing really brings me down.

Soulbliss...I'm the same way if I've got something to say I say it too, but I'm learning (slowly mind you LOL) that there are just some people it does no good to debate with because they have no desire to hear another side or even find some sort agreement even if it is to disagree. Which is their choice. Its the Virgo in me that loves to debate!

On an up note...how cute was Bob in his baggy jeans last night, had to have quick eyes to catch him!

~melissa

kaplods
01-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I have to say SoulBliss, that you and I have tangled on more than one occasion, and I hazzard to guess that we are both better for it (at least I can say I certainly am). I can truly say that your opinions have been among the most respected I have ever disagreed with (I know to you that will make sense).

I'm just saying if this is a thread for people who want to talk only about how great the show is, that's fine with me, as long as those of us who do enjoy a discussion with some passion to it, that we find a place to do so without being accused of being spoil sports ruining everyone else's fun.

Diva
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
OMG Mel! I know! How cute is Bob???? LOVE him! :val2:

GirlyGirlSebas
01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
You know, I don't think I could work out with him as my trainer. Kinda like having a really hunky looking GYN, know what I mean?:D I wouldn't want to sweat and grunt around him while I'm working out....well :o....get your mind out of the gutter, girls!

And, on the other issue... I just don't enjoy debating....never have and probably never will. To me, it's too much like arguing and posturing and sometimes it comes across as a bit condescending. That's not to say that I don't ever have deep thoughts about things. I'm actually fairly intelligent and educated myself :D But, life is often extremely stressful and I enjoy coming here and just chatting about fun things and being a supportive weight loss partner. That's what 3FC is for me and I love it here. Maybe, there should be a debate thread here on 3FC.

Hun.e.B
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I once had a really good looking ob/gyn, he delivered my youngest. Such a great doctor too, so hard not to have a little crush!

~melissa

Diva
01-09-2008, 11:01 PM
You know, I don't think I could work out with him as my trainer. Kinda like having a really hunky looking GYN, know what I mean?:D I wouldn't want to sweat and grunt around him while I'm working out....well :o....get your mind out of the gutter, girls!

And, on the other issue... I just don't enjoy debating....never have and probably never will. To me, it's too much like arguing and posturing and sometimes it comes across as a bit condescending. That's not to say that I don't ever have deep thoughts about things. I'm actually fairly intelligent and educated myself :D But, life is often extremely stressful and I enjoy coming here and just chatting about fun things and being a supportive weight loss partner. That's what 3FC is for me and I love it here. Maybe, there should be a debate thread here on 3FC.

I 100% agree with you. Maybe a debate thread would be cool for those that like to do that sort of thing. I persoanlly do not come to 3FC's for it, or perhaps there are forum's somewhere out in the big ole cyber world dedicated to that.

knitsforfive
01-10-2008, 01:26 AM

:rofl:

I had a gorgeous dentist and one time, as he was coming really close to look at my teeth, I kind of, for a moment, thought he was gonna kiss me -- and I'm pretty sure there was a slight pucker on my lips when he asked me to open my mouth. I had to fire him. It was too much having that face so close to mine with no reward.

Bob would totally motivate me, though. I'd keep doing things with poor form so he would have to come and fix me.

lovnmom
01-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I want to know what kinky things Chellez seems to know you can do with your TM's safety cord. It's come up more than once. She must have some secret she's keeping lol
As for the whole parenting debating thing....We have 4 children 8 y/o - 14 y/o. We've never left them for more than a weekend. Our style. It works for us. We have friends that leave their children to take 2 week vacations. Seems to work for them...My nephew, who'll be 3 in March is anxious at bed time his first night here, but then when they come home after a long weekend he doesn't want to go home with them. He's fine, once they are out the door and on their way home. Children adapt, but they don't like change. They like routine. Debating a possible 3-4 month seperation seems like wasted time to me. The white team, let alone us, will never know the effect it has had on their relationship with their son.
As for the show. I want to see much more sweat and alot more of Jillian screaming. It's all been far to white washed for me so far. I totally loved her when she had the Black team hidden in the desert like a covert operation. She was ruthless and it made for great television. I want some of that back in the show!!!!!

lovnmom
01-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow, knitsforfive!!! You've lost 34# in 3 months YGG!!!

chellez
01-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Now now ladies.... :D

Lets get back to thinking about relaxing things...

Things like...

http://b0.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01145/07/63/1145843670_l.jpg

:love:

WOOSAAAA! :yoga:

dixied
01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the eyecandy Chellez! Is it just me or if Bob getting more tattoos as this thread goes on? Nevermind, I went back and checked, it's just the way his arm was turned in the previous picture. Or it could be that he was shirtless and I got distracted.

I don't mind other folks debating on the thread, but I don't always want to chime in. I like coming here, voicing my opinion, and letting it be. If you disagree with my opinions (and many of you have :D) and want to share yours, I'll try to listen/read with an open mind.

Jen415
01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Okay, my thoughts on this season so far:

Orange team: I like these folks. And the son will be less creepy when he cuts his hair. Right now he is way too John Denver/Cousin Oliver/Bruce Vilance looking for me!

Brown Team: So sorry to see them go. He seems like a really good dad. And they make a good partnership.

Yellow Team: What makes me root for these guys is the fact that I think she still cares for him deeply. After all, she cares enough about him to want to help him outlive the family curse. And I personally know what a toll infertility issues can take on a marriage--it was partly to blame for the decline of mine. I really hope these folks go far.

Purple team: I really hope thise girls can do it this time. They've got youth on their side for sure, but since they have been best friends forever, will they enable each other to go back to their bad habits?

Black team: While I think the brothers will probably take it all, I hope they don't. I can't remember who the poster was that said this, but I would LOVE for at least ONE woman to be part of the winning team.

Blue Team: These two are adorable together! I really hope a romance happens out of it! Something that may throw a wrench in it is the fact that my "gaydar" for him goes off a bit....

Gray team: Awww....both are good daddies....I love hearing one of them saying that he is going to bring his little buddy (son) back "a prize"....

Pink team: Bette-Sue, Bette-Sue, Bette-Sue....gotta admire her spunk and determination to get back on when she ate some treadmill, but her facial expressions BUG. But hey, she IS good TV....

White team: It's very possible that this couple is a casualty of the editors. It makes the hubby look like a lazy guy, when he probably really isnt....

Oh and the green team? Glad they are gone. It PO's me when people get an opportunity of a lifetime like TBL and squander it away. Unfortuately it was at the expense of the daughter, who may have done well on her own. She was definitely seeking Daddy's approval, which she ain't gettin, and probably won't get. He seems like that kinda guy...

I hope they start showing more Bob though...as much as I love Jillian, I love Bob more!! :)

Amberelise
01-10-2008, 12:12 PM
So, last night I did an impulse purchase in the checkout line and bought the Prevention Magazine "Biggest Loser" special edition. No WONDER these people lose massive amounts of weight! I was reading through it and it said a good indicator of the amount of calories you should eat each day if you want to lose weight is take your weight and multiply it by 7. If you weigh below 150 lbs. this theory does not work.

Well, I don't like that! If you weight 150 lbs. you are to consume 1,050 calories?? That seems RIDICULOUSLY low to me.

It did have a lot of good workout moves to try at home. Kim was the model for the workout moves and I can see why. You may like Jillian's personality better but you can't deny that Kim has the better body. What I would give to have a body like her.

Hun.e.B
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
:rofl:

I had a gorgeous dentist and one time, as he was coming really close to look at my teeth, I kind of, for a moment, thought he was gonna kiss me -- and I'm pretty sure there was a slight pucker on my lips when he asked me to open my mouth. I had to fire him. It was too much having that face so close to mine with no reward.

Bob would totally motivate me, though. I'd keep doing things with poor form so he would have to come and fix me.

OMG that is hilarious!!! Can you imagine! LOL! Thanks for the laugh this morning I sure needed it!

~melissa

chick_in_the_hat
01-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Kim was the model for the workout moves and I can see why. You may like Jillian's personality better but you can't deny that Kim has the better body.

You trying to start a new debate? :lol: If so, I beg to differ.

ggmugsy
01-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I want to start a debate.

I want to talk about BRAS.

It makes my chest ache to watch those women running. They need more support!!!

Dea
01-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I want to start a debate.

I want to talk about BRAS.

It makes my chest ache to watch those women running. They need more support!!!

I am sorry, but some of those poor guys need some support too!!
My Hubby...who is tall and skinny, groaned every time the men took their shirts off to weigh in. Why do they need to do that anyway....do the T-shirts weight that much?

Hun.e.B
01-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I think I'd have to debate Kim having a better body too, maybe its just personal preference but Kims huge fake boobs were just too much. And she was thick, I know its muscle but she just had a masculine appearance to me. Jillian is ripped, I think she has nearly perfect trainer body. Jackie from Workout is like that too.

Yanno...that is such a good point what is with the man boobs...why do we have to look at that? And the funny thing is when they get to losing and arent so huge then they wear their shirts for the weighin. I'm sure its just for aesthetic purposes so we really see just how fat they are but still, totally unnecessary!

~melissa

Hun.e.B
01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I am sorry, but some of those poor guys need some support too!!
My Hubby...who is tall and skinny, groaned every time the men took their shirts off to weigh in. Why do they need to do that anyway....do the T-shirts weight that much?

That makes it even worse because they arent actually weighing in right there, thats all just tv drama. They have already been weighed on another scale (someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I think it was Kai that blogged about how tempting it is to peek) So they dont need to be taking their shirts OR their shoes off.

~melissa

GirlyGirlSebas
01-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Oh ho! A debate that I wouldn't mind joining! :D I'd kill to look like Kim! Curves with muscles. Now, ask my Hubby what he thinks and he says "No Way! Too many muscles." Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. Now, go ahead and ask me what I think about Kim's eyebrows....I dare ya! ;)

Hun.e.B
01-10-2008, 03:14 PM
so Rhonda...what do you think about Kims eyebrows?

Diva
01-10-2008, 03:23 PM

OMG! I am with you on this one! Jillian's body rocks! I told Jess I wanna look like her. Kim looks great too, but I'd kill to have Jillian's body!

dixied
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I want Jillian's arms.

I had to look up pictures of Kim's eyebrows. They are a little odd. But the celeb that drives me NUTS is Holly Marie Combs from Charmed. When you look at her on the show, eyebrows are completely different. The right one has a massive gap in it most of the time. Use and eyebrow pencil and fill it in! I literally had to quit watching the show because my OCD would flair up and I would fixate on her stupid eyebrow. :dizzy:

lovnmom
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Totally Jillian's bod all the way nothing looks fake or stiff.....come on Rhonda...what about Kim's eyebrows??????

lovnmom
01-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Is that truly the only reason to quit watching Charmed?
How many think the show just s_c_s?
Ha ha another debate lol

GirlyGirlSebas
01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Talk about OCD! I can't watch her interviews on the show because her eyebrows distract me! I think she is a beautiful lady, but....do they do their own makeup? Her hair is "blond" and her eyebrows are dark! And, they look like they've been drawn-in with a very unsteady hand...and, they are too over-tweezed and make her look like she is constantly scared!

Okay....you did ask.:)

The only reason I have boobs now is because I'm fat! When I was thinner and pre-babies, I barely filled a 36B. I'd love to lose the weight and get some fake ones and a tummy tuck. But, we aint rich, so I'll have to settle for really good supportive lingerie! :rofl: I think Kim looks good even with the fakes. You know, I recognized her before BL. She is in an old fitness magazine I have from about 4 years ago.

chellez
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Did you know...

Most women that are into body building usually need to or feel like they need to get breast implants because of their lack of fat in their breasts? I assume they feel less feminine without them...

Here's an example of a body builder without implants.
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper941/stills/433b8d147577e-87-1.jpg

Here's an example with implants
http://static.flickr.com/90/216683124_263bce0069_o.jpg

I also went looking for pictures of Kim before her boob job...

Before
http://www.icelebz.com/celebs/kim_lyons/images/photo6.jpg
http://www.icelebz.com/celebs/kim_lyons/images/photo2.jpg

After
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/The_Biggest_Loser/Images/kim_lyons-1.jpg
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/71504045.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB054FAEC1D253D050 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Maybe she thought she wasn't feminine enough? :lol:

PS: Sorry about that last picture Rhonda... I couldn't help but get a close up of those eyebrows! :rofl:

onthetee
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
The non-Kim photos totally freaked me out. I don't like that look in men or women. I cannot imagine a life where my body is my only thought. I have a cousin who did competitive fitness (not body building), and every thought she expressed for a while was about her body. BORING.

And unattractive.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't want to be cut like a bodybuilder, but I want to have lots of muscle...more like a fitness model. Now, I don't mind tons of muscle on a guy!

NemesisClaws
01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Hmm..I realized that some women go for this kind of thing, but I actually think it's overkill and not very attractive when you build your body up to where it's literally muscular. I don't even like it when men do it...case in point, Arnold the Terminator here....

HoosierHeather
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
So is it not even a real scale they stand on for the TV weigh-in?

I don't like Kim. Not really upset about her eyebrows :lol: but just her personality. She always seemed to be playing it up for the camera when she'd have her heart-to-heart talks with the contestants. She's a third wheel. :)

Diva
01-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Okay, I find female body builder like that totally disgusting. Your a woman! Look like one! OMG!

onthetee
01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Okay, I find female body builder like that totally disgusting. Your a woman! Look like one! OMG!

This sparked a good discussion in our house. My 5-year old son walked by and asked, "Who's that guy?" It took a lot of convincing and close inspection of the crotch to convince him. "Not very girlish," he said. And this is from a kid who lives with a militant feminist. It launched a very interesting chat about what is feminine and what is considered attractive and should we work to be attractive to others or just ourselves. His conclusion? "Boys don't like girls who don't look like girls."

So if you want to date my son some day, no body building.:)

Hun.e.B
01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm sorry but even with the implants its not very attractive.To me anyway. Perhaps it makes them feel more feminine but I'm thinking stopping the testosterone might help too. And I just had to add...nice hair Kim! LOL!! Dont you just love 80s hair LOL! Her eyebrows dont so much but me, shes very pretty, to me...didnt need the fake boobs but thats her choice.

~melissa

sportmom
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
<----- Who are you all calling thick?? Oh, and my eyebrows are brown bc I'm NOT a natural blonde!! :o shocking, I know. don't tell anyone, k?

LOL

Maybe the lady from the brown team wears a size 9 bc she is 6'2"??? :rofl:

I think Chell has seen the undergarments on amazon that have very little fabric and more string.....of pearls that is. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Or googling. And if you're a fan of Sexand the City, Samantha wears them in a scene in Atlantic City with Richard - they created a problem in the stairwell for her.

Dea
01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I watched a documentary of an English female bodybuilder competing in various competions around the US. With all of the steriods, and whatever else they take, the women looked freakish!! Most looked like muscular men with long hair, makeup and boobs. They looked so weird, that you couldn't help looking at them.

chick_in_the_hat
01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe the lady from the brown team wears a size 9 bc she is 6'2"??? :rofl:

Actually she's only 5' 6'

http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser_5/contestants/current_cast/mallory/

I was wondering what kinda size 9 she's talking about as well...it's a pretty rare size 8 I can squeeze into. Gotta have lotsa stretch. ;) I might be 2 inches shorter - but she has a least 30 pounds more than me. Obviously people are built different....but size 9?

krjpy
01-11-2008, 02:21 PM
If you remember she said they were her daughter's ... Junior girls sizes come in odd numbers.

knitsforfive
01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Wow, knitsforfive!!! You've lost 34# in 3 months YGG!!!

Aw shucks...thanks for noticing (I feel like Eyeore saying that: "Thanks for thinking of me"). It's nice to be cheered on, especially when I feel like I am finally gettin' it done and could use all the cheering I can get to keep going.

Oh -- and I had to google YGG because I am apparently old, but now I get it. Thanks.

Hun.e.B
01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
By "thick" I meant muscle mass, she's got bulk, not fat! Like Jillian is nothing but muscle but she doesnt have that mass look...does that make sense? LOL!

~melissa

dixied
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
By "thick" I meant muscle mass, she's got bulk, not fat! Like Jillian is nothing but muscle but she doesnt have that mass look...does that make sense? LOL!

~melissa

Whenever I see Jillian I think of the word "sleek". Don't know why exactly but that's my word for her. My word for Bob is "YUM". Kim doesn't get a word, at least not a nice one.

chellez
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Kim doesn't get a word, at least not a nice one.

:rofl: You are too funny. You make me chuckle out loud at work. :D

Hun.e.B
01-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh I'm so glad we moved onto a new page so i dont have to look at the veins anymore as I scroll down!

~melissa

Hun.e.B
01-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Did anyone else sign up for the Million Pound Matchup?

~melissa

dixied
01-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Did anyone else sign up for the Million Pound Matchup?

~melissa

I didn't. I just didn't know anyone who'd sign up with me. Also with our challenge starting, I wanted to focus my efforts here.

misschris531
01-11-2008, 06:17 PM
That makes it even worse because they arent actually weighing in right there, thats all just tv drama. They have already been weighed on another scale (someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I think it was Kai that blogged about how tempting it is to peek) So they dont need to be taking their shirts OR their shoes off.

~melissa

I didn't think this was true... one of the doctors for the show said it was a real scale and that she was there for the weigh-ins and that they are genuine. I could be wrong about this as well. I just don't know. :?:

onthetee
01-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I didn't think this was true... one of the doctors for the show said it was a real scale and that she was there for the weigh-ins and that they are genuine. I could be wrong about this as well. I just don't know. :?:

Nope, their official weigh-ins are not live. They are already recorded. The big scale is a prop, though that is when they learn what their weight is.

sportmom
01-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I concur with that. Otherwise people wouldn't dare wear these big hunky earrings, heavy necklaces, etc. I don't see them alot but I know that I used to see them and wonder WHY someone would add weight to their weigh in and then I read that it's done in the morning.

zinkemomx2
01-11-2008, 10:54 PM
The more I learn about TBL the more I wish they would have a REAL reality show about losing weight. Show all the nitty gritty stuff of the real world.

sportmom
01-11-2008, 11:33 PM
LOL, that's funny bc I think alot of us are watching a more based-in-reality show this week on Discovery, called the National Body Challenge. And at least about 75% of us who report watching it are classifying it as too boring! Without all the added drama, it just doesn't seem to hook you in or keep you interested.

zinkemomx2
01-12-2008, 12:32 AM
I wish I had Discovery channel. We only have NBC, CBS, PBS and ABC here.

NemesisClaws
01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I tend to watch a show on BBC channel most every day called "You Are What You Eat"....trust me, the amount of food people go through in a week is shocking! I'm also learning additional things on this show about the specific impact food has on your health that is not talked about overly much on Biggest Loser. So it is helpful to find inspiration and motivation in other shows of this nature. :)

Shay
01-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I've been avoiding this thread because of the "debates". I think that's a shame when I love this forum and I really enjoy everyone on here. Those "debates" get under my skin. I don't come to 3FC to debate. I come to get and give support. Not over analyze a show. Those that know me I'm a straight shooter too and I've got myself caught up in some of these "debates". I've decided to ignore them because its not worth it. Some people will argue until they are red in the face because in their mind its not a debate. They feel they are right and it is their job to convince others that they are right! I would like to say more and call people out but I don't want to get private messages and get in trouble....Me being able to remain on this board is more important than being labeled passive aggressive. Whatever....

eastcoastgirl, diva, froufrou, lovnmom & purplefirefly--Okay its not just me! LOL! I am so not feeling this season. Its too much to remember with all the teams. I wonder if Bob & Jillian will continue to train together because I can't keep straight who is with what trainer.

Neil--talking about him is a waste of time and space

onthetee,Melissa, froufrou--I really do think it is a body composition thing. At 150 I could wear size 10's and in skirts 8's. At 179 I could wear a size 12. This was consistent no matter where I shopped.

ggmugsy--I would love to see a woman win too. I think someone else said on here too. I can't remember....sorry! I had to go through pages and pages after avoiding this thread for a bit. I think the mom & son have a good chance.

froufrou--I think the brothers may win too but that would be so boring!

jen415--ROTFLMAO!!! You are so right about the son! I knew he looked like someone!

Amberelise--Good to see someone is actually reading their prevention guide. I got mine a week or so ago and I've only decided to do one of the recipes.

Purpleteam--I still like them. I hope they can get the weight off now while they are young and don't have to deal with this struggle forever. Granted keeping the weight off will be a struggle but getting it off in the first place while they can is important.

onthetee--I agree with you about the pictures of the women body builders--freaky! Especially that second one.

Shay
01-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Sportmom--I forgot to talk about the National Body Challenge. Boring....! I totally forgot to watch it on Wednesday and Thursday. They are doing a marathon tomorrow. I believe starting at 12noon. They will be playing them in reverse order which works for me. I can see the two episodes I missed first without having to wait for the two I've seen.

I think TBL needs to stick with their original format. I wasn't too into it when they did couples and families for those specials in the past. Kind of like those movies that have 4 and 5 sequels. Nothing is ever as good as the original.

Hun.e.B
01-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Shay I think you said it beautifully, I agree fully and I'm taking your same stance on the debating. Theres a time, place and topic and this just isnt it.

I'm not liking the teams thing too much either, but i did get myself a couple and we have a million pound matchup page. Imagine if we won a trip to the finale to see bob!

~melissa

Andi18
01-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow, it feels like I have been away all week...oh wait, it has been pretty much all week! I see I missed some interesting stuff ;)

I'll keep it about the show here or will try to! haha!

I haven't been watching Discovery Channel's series. I'll take TBL over DC's NBC any day, I had seen it in year's past and can go without!

I too like TBL's original format, but I am getting into this season more, maybe because I have a friend that is going through this with me and we have signed up for TBL's Million Pound Match-Up.

Oh and those body building pictures...so glad I only had to scroll through those once!! LMAO at Kim's 80's hair style! When was that picture taken?!

Hun.e.B
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Kims hair was totally rad! LOL!

~melissa

Diva
01-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Totally!

cuppajoe
01-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Hmmmm,

I still hiss when Betty Sue comes on--must be some evil kindergarten teacher in my past who must have looked like her! And, yep, all those calls home were a total snore for me. Whatever.

I have a 17 month old [who seems to acquire amazing new skills daily which I would miss if I weren't around] and don't give a rats *ss what the experts say--I wouldn't leave him without parents for months on end. Period.

How about they do an All Women Contestant Show? I just know those big bulky guys are going to win. Again.

But I'm waiting anxiously for next Tuesday despite my grouching!!!

cuppa

chellez
01-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Just in case you are wondering how much Bob loved him some Kae

http://a224.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/28/l_243ed3b87ffedad8b7dc7e6a3363290f.jpg
http://a558.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/108/l_0aa9461c161ddcda9c9320a97f09ec4d.jpg
http://a677.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/44/l_879b7ed723f9a712bb128f28b22e5c24.jpg

This is on her myspace page :D

PS: I'd be taking it to the couch! :devil:

Diva
01-13-2008, 12:48 AM
OMG! I want Bob to hold ME like that!!!! YUM!

chellez
01-13-2008, 12:48 AM
:lol: I'm profile hopping for more Bob pictures on myspace...

from Ryan's Profile

http://a129.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/89/l_d845f5f2dff8fe5cea400de8e357a378.jpg

I really don't think my sexy Bob could look bad in a picture. :drool:

chellez
01-13-2008, 12:59 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/alrightguy1970/DSCN0579_1_1-1.jpg
http://a747.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/2/l_01ec11e65dbf7c473df5f7dc23e37ac2.jpg
http://a202.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/80/l_f839fc1e197fcbd0ddd2b5afa70cb4b1.jpg
http://a438.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/127/l_e0dc72d7c2e597dc40d25022f1a77bdd.jpg

And my favorite....

http://a318.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/34/l_2ee6d15ebcab2f54602bd42b9cfe19b5.jpg

Its official.... we are so making a shrine to Bob after this challenge is over! :D :love:

sportmom
01-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Keep 'em coming Chelle - these were great! Bob looks a little, umm, "influenced" on Kae's tight jeans photo. Maybe he just got caught on a bad blink! lol
I got Kim lyons' new book today from the library. It looks interesting.

Andi18
01-13-2008, 01:11 AM
And my favorite....

http://a318.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/34/l_2ee6d15ebcab2f54602bd42b9cfe19b5.jpg

Its official.... we are so making a shrine to Bob after this challenge is over! :D :love:

This one is screaming....
"I dare you...."

I so agree with the shrine to Bob!!

Shay
01-13-2008, 08:31 AM
OMG--Sportmom I was thinking the same thing that maybe Bob had a little drinky drink!

dixied
01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Yummy...I'd worship at the shrine o' Bob. I'd even bake him some low-fat/ low-sugar cupcakes.

About the different shows. I'll watch any show that has to do with weightloss and/or self improvement. BL, NBC, Inside the Brookhaven Obesity Clinic, Fit TV, etc. DH comes in the room, looks at the tv and says "More fat people?" and walks out. I find inspiration in any person that's willing to go on national television and give their weight and sweat on tv. I don't always agree with the methods they use, but it keeps me more motivated than say, Food Network.

That said, BL will always be my favorite, cause I luvs Bob and Jillian.

Shay
01-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Me too dixiedieter. Some are just more interesting than others. I enjoy watching the infomercials too. I'm watching a FIRM one now.

onthetee
01-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I have much to say about Bob, motorcycle, straddling, something powerful between his legs.....but I am just afraid that might go too far for some of you.

Hun.e.B
01-13-2008, 11:50 AM
LOL onthetee!! When I saw that pic of Bob molesting Kae I though...hmmm bob looks to be a lil drunk there!! He is just a beautiful man inside and out!

chellez
01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
I have much to say about Bob, motorcycle, straddling, something powerful between his legs.....but I am just afraid that might go too far for some of you.

:lol: Wouldn't go too far for me! I'm thinking the same thing! ;)

chick_in_the_hat
01-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Bob's got some taste in bikes, too. Looks like a Triumph Thruxton. :T

sportmom
01-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Ya'll have GOT to stop posting these photos so close to bed time. It is SERIOUSLY messing with my REMs. I never quite get lucky enough to dream about BOB, but they are quite odd just the same! lol I'll take bob any day, drunk or sober. More than willing to learn a few new dance moves.

sportmom
01-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Gina, I'm sorry, was that a Triumph Thruster? I thought I saw some typos in there........

Chelle, is that your surprise? Your cool new siggy! Awesome!

chick_in_the_hat
01-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Sportmom needs to get her mind out of the gutter. ;) For once I spelled something right. :lol:

http://www.vapor.org/images/thruxton.jpg

lovnmom
01-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I go away for a couple of days and come back to ALL kinds of entertainment. I think I'm actually enjoying this thread more than the actual show this season, but....I can't waite for Tuesday. I too love all things weightloss on tv and my DH just doesn't get it either. Maybe it's because he's 6'1" and 175....that's his highest weight EVER. He does let me indulge on Tues nights though. If they ever move TBL to Mon I'm sc_e_ _ d!!!
Yeah, a women only show would be awesome. You'd see some drama and gossip or I mean alliances then!!!

chellez
01-14-2008, 10:16 AM
:lol: I agree... I would not want them to move TBL to Monday either...

My TV Schedule
Monday: Heroes & Chuck
Tuesday: TBL & Nip / Tuck :rofl: (How appropriate together)
Wednesday: Gossip Girl
Friday: Las Vegas & The Dog Whisperer ( I watch it with the puppy :lol:)

They just moved Gossip Girl to Mondays so I'm hoping when Heroes comes back on they will move GG back to Wednesdays :dizzy:

GirlyGirlSebas
01-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Michelle, I just love the Dog Whisperer! I'd hate to post my TV schedule...it might take a while! My TiVo definitely gets its use. Hmmmm.....no wonder I've put on so much weight....Can you say "couch potato?" Two of my favorites are coming back soon....Big Brother and Lost. Medium started back up last week. The writer's strike really messed me up on my shows. Can you believe where they left us hanging on Grey's Anatomy and Journeyman? Yikes! But, on a good note, I went to Blockbuster and I've been renting season 1 of Desperate Housewives. Okay...can someone please tell me why I've never watched this show? I love it!

I need one of those set ups where the TV doesnt run unless you're petaling the exercise bike.:D

dixied
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Rhonda - me too, I'd look like this ...:ebike: I'd post my tv schedule, but with 3 tivos it would take a while. I will list my favorites though. Besides anything to do with weight loss, I watch: Torchwood, Dr. Who, Heroes, Bloodties, CSI (all), NCIS, Criminal Minds, Bones, Without a Trace.

We also have been watching "How it's Made" on Discovery (?). I now know things like how sandpaper is made, pretty cool show, and we can watch it with DSS without worrying about the content.

Hun.e.B
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh TV addict here!!! I dont even know when my shows are on anymore though but I can tell you I love, GH, Extreme Home Makeover, Amazing Race, Lost, BL, ER, Survivor, pretty much anything on the Food Network especially Iron Chef America and Throwdown (love me some Bobby Flay), ghost hunters and dont tell anyone but I watch the smutty train wreck stuff on VH1 too...Rock of Love, I love NY, Celebrity Rehab, Scott Baio. Oye!

~melissa

ksk571
01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't freakin' wait for LOST!!!!

I need to get a treadmill because I'm such at tv-aholic!!

scgirl32
01-14-2008, 02:42 PM
I've printed out the picture of Bob with the cupcakes and taped it to my mini fridge here at work. That's a great picture!

And I'm with all of you on watching anything weight-loss related. Last night, I watched a Lifetime movie where the girl from Hairspray runs for Homecoming Queen. So, in addition to real-life weight loss stuff, the writer's strike has now got me turning to fictional weight-related stories!!

I have found, though, that Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs helps keep me busy. I want a Mike Rowe of my very own! :D

chellez
01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
It's funny because I really think that Grisham from CSI Las Vegas is hot for an older man...

Maybe its because my husband has grey hair and he's only 26 :lol:

Utahgirl1982
01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
It's funny because I really think that Grisham from CSI Las Vegas is hot for an older man...

I agree with you Chelle......Older men to me are so hot;)

Catsgetnhealthy
01-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Journeyman

I thought I was the only person who watched that show. I fell for Kevin McKidd watching Rome. lol. And NBC better bring back Journeyman!! I'm a t.v. addict also. I can't wait for Lost to come back too and I hope I don't get lost trying to keep up with the flashbacks and the flashforwards! Did anyone watch Cane with yummy Jimmy Smits? Great show.

onthetee
01-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I can't freakin' wait for LOST!!!!

I need to get a treadmill because I'm such at tv-aholic!!

If you have a laptop, you can do a work out video on the computer's DVD player while you watch TV.

lovnmom
01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
OMG Melissa, Amazing race finally got rid of Miss _itchy. I am so rooting for TK and Jen. Any two people that can go through that much stress after only dating a few months have to be the coolest people. I also like the grandpa and grandson. That kid is freakin awesome. My mother is in her early 70's and it's so stressful just spending a day of shopping due to the slower pace etc...I can't imagine travelling all around the world and doing physical challenges with someone that much older. I totally didn't like the father and daughter team at first. They would still be last on my list of the 3 that are left, but they really have grown. So, if they win it'll be ok. Who you been rooting for???
I know this threads about BL. Please don't shoot me. It hasn't been on in a week AR is fresh in my brain. Can't waite for tonight though!!!!

chellez
01-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Well we are closing on the house today so I'll be cleaning, painting and missing TBL tonight....:(

Unless of course I take the little 13 inch tv over to the new house :devil:

GirlyGirlSebas
01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Unless of course I take the little 13 inch tv over to the new house :devil:

But, of course!

And, Congratulations! This is an exciting day for you.:hug:

Diva
01-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm gonna have to record TBL from now on because it's up against American Idol and I can't miss the auditions. They are sooooo funny and IMO the BEST part of the show. Usually after they get the finals and get to Hollyweird, I am bored with it and stop watching, lol!

Hun.e.B
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh bob on small screen! LOL! Have fun today Chelle!

so AI starts tonight huh...just what I need something else to watch! LOL!

lovnmom...have I asked you what part of WI? My family lives in Oshkosh, I was born there! Anyway thank goodness that witch is gone!! The last episode for sure showed her in not such a good way. The whole part with the subway and then he called her on it, and she tried to say it wasnt her...oye!! I'm so happy she is off! I like TK and Rachel, they rock, I like them most because they dont argue and fight with one another. The grandson deserves to win just because he's almost running the race for two the way he's always carrying his grandpa's stuff. Ya gotta love that show!

krjpy
01-15-2008, 12:05 PM
So ... is everyone going to workout while watching TBL tonight? (Chelle, I figure moving definately counts as a workout;))

I will be doing my Elliptical and my recumbent bike:ebike:, then finish off with some weighted hula hoop. That should get me through the 2 hours:smug: and help me sleep well tonight. My son will probably be on my mini tramp:trampo: until it is time for him to go to bed

I figure that if they are getting their butts worked off during the show ... so should I right?

dixied
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I've got to figure our which tivo needs to record BL tonight. I know DH is recording/watching NCIS, the one is DSS room is recording Commanche Moon, so I guess I'll sacrifice Bones and record BL in our bedroom. I need a spreadsheet to figure out the tivo scheduling.

Hopefully DH and I will be at the new gym tonight. I dropped in this morning for our paperwork, and it seems like a great place. I'd prefer longer hours, but it will do, especially since it's being paid for by DH's insurance.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as who goes home tonight on BL? You know I hope it's the White team.

lovnmom
01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
OMGsh, is it 2 hours tonight. How'd I not know that. Head under a rock I guess.
Michelle, are you sure you'll have time to watch Bob? Maybe your hubby has "christening" the new house in mind!! Congrats!
Dee, no guess on my part. This has been a crazy season already!

misschris531
01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Anyone got predictions about who will leave tonight? I think it could be Niell and Amanda, although I'm not sure.

Catsgetnhealthy
01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
So ... is everyone going to workout while watching TBL tonight? (Chelle, I figure moving definately counts as a workout;))

I will be doing my Elliptical and my recumbent bike:ebike:, then finish off with some weighted hula hoop. That should get me through the 2 hours:smug: and help me sleep well tonight. My son will probably be on my mini tramp:trampo: until it is time for him to go to bed

I figure that if they are getting their butts worked off during the show ... so should I right?

I'll be :ebike: while watching too. And before it comes on I'll do TBL cardio max.