Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default Dance Dance Revolution and Belly Dancing...what else could I try?

I used to be very athletic as a child and a young woman...I was always the largest girl on the soft ball and basketball teams but I just didn't care. I loved aerobics, yoga and though too overweight to pursue the bodybuilding route, I loved to lift weights. I did win the shot put competition...gold metal at the 4th grade Olympics! Impressed? LOL

I think it's a shame that I have put money in the gym this year and not used it much (ended in November) but I am determined to change my ways...some because I promised myself that I would keep up the post-op requirements for exercise but more because I miss it.

In the last 3 or 4 weeks since I got the notice that I was approved for surgery I have been doing some form of movement every day...walking at first and now I've added Dance Dance Revolution and a belly dance DVD. I'm getting better at DDR and even have a jiggling wrap for the belly dancing! Too much fun.

Yesterday I signed up for the YMCA here in town. It looks like a great place! I have a goal of doing the rock wall one day!

Any other forms of exercise you guys like to do??? I would love to hear it all!

...and then try it all!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-30-2007 at 02:46 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6

I love DDR, it's fun! I haven't played in a while though.
I like to do pilates, and I just started doing some yoga. It's fun.
Victoria Ayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:49 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I like walk away the pounds or for kicking it old school
I like richard simmons sweating to the oldies. good music wacko guy you can't beat it!
His Party in the house Kicks my butt!
If you've signed up at the Y maybe Swimming or Aqua aerobics?
anyway Its the lower back of dawn I should sleep!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I really enjoy DDR, most of the games offer a "fitness" option, where you enter your height and weight, and it will count calories for you as you play through each song.

I got a Wii for xmas (at the normal price, I wouldnt pay more than what the rrp is) And I've read about this new platform they're making for the Wii, its called Wii Fit, and you basically have this white platform you stand on, and it walks you through aerobics and a lame version of DDR n things.

My personal favorite form of exercise is swimming, or if people are with me, I'll enjoy pretty much anything. Swimming is better for my joints. I'm only 19, but I got my dad's knees and they pop and crack like mad. Hurts too. I'd say keep to the cardio work outs, maybe invest in an exercise hula hoop eventually, I found that during the warmer months, that was the best and most fun exercise ever!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

KIER!!!!! why on earth were you up at that hour????

ANGELA!!!!! you're always amazing me. you showed up here, sounding so afraid and insecure, and you're actually BRAVE and ADVENTUROUS and you KNOW what you're doing and WHY!!!!!

and. just the simple fact that you can do ALL THESE EXERCISE things as a pre-op suggests to me that you'll do extremely well afterwards, as long as you keep it up.

having said that, hiking with the dog works great for me. so does walking the dog [see a theme here???]. unfortunately, i can't leave the alzheimer's mom alone long enough to actually walk the poor dog these days.

i started a ballet exercise dvd, which is working well for me. it's HARD. but i like it. and i also like my tai chi dvd, even though i'm a klutz.

my biggest issue is that i have very little balance. because of my condition pre-op, my left leg weighs several pounds more than my right, and that throws everything off.

keep it coming, girls!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

and PS. there's NOTHING standing in your way of being a bodybuilder. not a blessed thing. so if that's what you want, GO FOR IT!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #7  

Jiffy, when I first started reading the posts on this site, I was grateful that I found a place where everyone was open, knowledgeable and cared about each other. I needed a place like this where I could express how alone I felt, how nervous and unsure I was about doing this surgery and whether or not I was capable of doing something so drastic...that was entirely for me. I have been working hard on my issues of low self-esteem but I have always done everything for everyone else.

I have a great family and counselor but I really needed to talk about my fears with people that understood more then most. I knew that this "adventure" would be no walk in the park and I was afraid and insecure...

Now, having talked about those things and having been heard and reassured, I feel soooo much better! I'm able to relax knowing that with all the struggles of post-op, I can come here and get the support I'm sure I will need.

I do know what I want, I have wanted this...and fought for it for 3 years. I am no longer afraid of doing what I need to because I don't feel like I am alone anymore...I have this board and you all!

A place where I could even be my silly self and not be asked to leave!

thanks,

Angela
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #8  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

ZUMBA....look it up on the net. great exercise and soooooooooo much fun.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #9  

Lord have mercy Annie175! That looks like FUN!!!!!! Saw a clip of a demo on youtube! they don't have classes here but I am going to look for a DVD! maybe I will become a Zumba teacher! I could call it a longer tern goal!

Thanks!

Angela
Old 01-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

Annie, I found classes here and sent an e-mail but haven't heard from the instructor yet. Probably because the classes are held at an elementary school and my guess is that she's a teacher. Anyhow, I'm patiently waiting. Also I ordered a beginning belly dance tape that Angela had given me the web site to visit. My DIL and I are going to try it with both of us agreeing not to laugh at each other. Wish us luck. LOL. (PS, I can laugh now. We haven't begun.)
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote