South Beach Diet - Resolutions, anyone?

View Full Version : Resolutions, anyone?

tomandkara
12-30-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm a big goal setter so resolutions are fun for me. Because of past New Year's resolutions, I started making my bed regularly when I was a kid, and I started flossing daily a couple years ago. Here are mine for 2008. What are you planning?

#1 - Train for and run my first marathon (September 2008)

#2 - Focus on treating my body like a temple (I've realized that focusing on what I *can't* have has led to a negative attitude toward eating, so this year I am going to focus on treating my body well. One treat wouldn't sabotage those efforts, but stuffing myself with refined flours, food colorings, and sugar will. I need to treat my body respectfully so that I can accomplish all of the things I would like to do this year.)

#3 - Expand my stretching routine (I have been slacking on my stretching and have noticed my flexibility is suffering.)

Three solid, positive, and attainable goals.

Kara

KO
12-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Before I crawl into bed (can't sleep)
I'll post mine in progress
#1 Make sure I work out at least 15 min a day (starting back slow with the fibro)
#2 Focus on building strength (DH and I are going to try our hand at Kayaking when the weather gets warm)
#3 I'm Stealing yours Kara :D Treating my body like a temple and giving it the things it needs WATER good healthy Primarily Non Franken foods (I feel a SF Jello Kick coming on) and Taking all my vities!

non bod related
Learning how to slow down and appreciate life
Build a writing career. . .It's what I want!
OK BED!
Kierie

little chick
12-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Let's see.... I really need a resolutions as the past few years my resolutions was not to have any.

1. Start exercising and liking it.
2. Back to the Beach way of life, no excuses.
3. Save for my Jamaica vacation. ( A year from Feb)
4. Love life and enjoy it.

Kim_Star060404
12-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Great thread, Kara!

This year I will keep it simple (maybe ;))

1. Get A's & B's in all classes I take this year.
We'll find out how I'm doing soon enough - start classes a week from Thurs!
2. Continue to build up my minutes per day for working out.
Doing MUCH better consistently exercising approx 14+ miles a week...still building up, though. Would like 25 miles a week by end of Feb.
3. Get aggressive about saving money and paying off our debt
Have added about $150 a month towards debt and another $100 a month towards savings - we don't need to eat out anymore!!

I know they're not all health related - but important to me nontheless. We'll have to remind ourselves to check this thread every few weeks to see how we're doing!!

GONNABE165
12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
1. Focus on myself - health & weight loss
2. Go to church more
3. Enjoy every day as if it were my last
4. Pay off debt

Schmoodle
12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I've been thinking about this all week. Here are mine:

1. De-clutter and organize my summer kitchen, attics, garage, basement, and office.
2. Get on an exercise program and learn to love it (thanks, little chick, for the second part).
3. Get our budget in shape. I don't have any serious debt to deal with, thank goodness, but I've let things get a little loose in the money management department.
4. Get enough of the house renovations done that I can get my dining room table out of storage and have the family for Thanksgiving dinner next year.
5. Get my PESOH certification and PFS certification (work-related).
6. Reach 100 lbs. lost goal.

I love lists!:D

THINBYJUNE
12-30-2007, 02:57 PM
I love this thread Kara :)
O.K. Here are mine:
1. Slow down when eating. I eat entirely too fast.
2. Get our finances budgeted and stick to it.
3. Finish my Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons.

Schmoodle
12-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Hee, I love it too. I was waiting for somebody to do it, and somehow I just knew it would be Kara!:D

tomandkara
01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
It's been one week already! How are those resolutions coming???

#1 - Train for and run my first marathon (September 2008) I've stuck with my training plan 100%! Feels great!

#2 - Focus on treating my body like a temple (I've realized that focusing on what I *can't* have has led to a negative attitude toward eating, so this year I am going to focus on treating my body well. One treat wouldn't sabotage those efforts, but stuffing myself with refined flours, food colorings, and sugar will. I need to treat my body respectfully so that I can accomplish all of the things I would like to do this year.) I had one slip up this week when I stuffed something in my mouth without thinking about it, but afterwards realized I should have asked myself if it would be worth it to eat something so not helpful to my body. Using that sort-of mantra ("Is it worth it?") plus adding in more exercise, which I see as "positive" - over taking away foods, which seems "negative" to me - has helped me have a better attitude.

#3 - Expand my stretching routine (I have been slacking on my stretching and have noticed my flexibility is suffering.) I've been doing my old stretching routine after every workout and my flexibility is coming back!

Off to the gym!

Kara

THINBYJUNE
01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
It's already been a week? :yikes:
Good thing I only made three resolutions ;)

I know people are going to tell me I'm going about this wrong but...I find if I am eating while working or on the computer I slow way down. It distracts me but I make sure I portion before I take it into that room.
Well, I cleaned out all the closets, etc and have 9 big boxes of stuff for a yard sale, I cut coupons this weekend, and I have not bought anything(this is a record by the way :lol:)
When cleaning out the closet I found the Rosetta Stone so that's a start right? ;)

little chick
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I have been playing the wee.... boxing, golfing, etc so far it has been fun, but not liking or loving it yet. I am going to buy a mini tramp this week end.
Tomorrow will be one full week, no cheats... I am going to weigh in tomorrow.
Have started saving my toonies and loonies... everyday I clean out my wallet and drop them in my little bucket.
This is a work in process, but right now I do love my life and am enjoying it and trying to keep stress out of my life.

tomandkara
01-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Dawn, I think the issue with eating while otherwise occupied is just eating more than you intended because you weren't paying attention. If you've already portioned your food out and it's working for you, then have at it! I can't eat while I'm watching TV or reading or at the computer because I miss the experience of eating and don't enjoy it as much, and hence want to eat more. But that's just me. And I am the slllowwwwessssttttttt eater you've ever met, so I clearly have different issues than you!

Good for you with your money! We make a "zero-balance budget" for each month - account for every dollar that will be spent before it's spent - and it helps a lot with the mindless spending.

We use Rosetta Stone for Connor's French lessons, and we've just recently started using the German in preparation for our move. What a great program! Glad you found it!

LC, if I used a mini tramp I think I'd break something (or somethings!). Good luck with it! Way to go with your last week of eating! Is this Jamaica trip a special one? I've never been, but friends who have gone have always loved their time there.

Keep up the great work!

Kara

little chick
01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Kara, special in the fact that dh has never wanted to go anywhere hot and sunny and we are going with one other couple for sure. Maybe more. So I am pretty excited. I have not wore a bathing suit with out shorts or a shirt in atleast 20 years. So it is really my focus right now even though it is a year away. I am hoping I can talk dh into renewing our vows when we are there. I can picture myself in this cute white sundress and flowers in my hair. Corny is it not.

THINBYJUNE
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Kara- You telling me your 6 year old can master a foreign language just rededicated me to it in a whole new perspective :) And thank you for the support on my current solution to the slower eating plan.

LC That is NOT corny. It sounds romantic and fun. By the way, please let us know how the trampoline goes. That sounds like it could be fun exercise and I always stand the chance of breaking something anyway :lol:

tomandkara
01-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I agree, not corny at all! You'll have to post pictures when you get back! You know that yogurt commercial that runs every summer with the "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" song? You could hang up that white sundress or a bathing suit as motivation! Sure, people will ask why you have a bathing suit hanging off your cupboard in the middle of winter, but won't it be worth it when you look FABULOUS in it?

Dawn - "always stand the chance of breaking something anyway" :rofl:

Kara

little chick
01-09-2008, 07:58 AM
I am just a sappy romantic at heart. I am not sure I can talk him into the vow thing or not, but I still am going to wear a white sundress and flowers in my hair. Kara that is a good idea to hang a bikini on my cupboard. Might have to try that.

tomandkara
01-15-2008, 11:34 AM
We're two weeks into 2008! How's it coming?

#1 - Train for and run my first marathon (September 2008) Still on track with this one. Have to run outside this week as the gym's closed. Brrr!

#2 - Focus on treating my body like a temple (I've realized that focusing on what I *can't* have has led to a negative attitude toward eating, so this year I am going to focus on treating my body well. One treat wouldn't sabotage those efforts, but stuffing myself with refined flours, food colorings, and sugar will. I need to treat my body respectfully so that I can accomplish all of the things I would like to do this year.) Ummmm, somehow between last week and this week, this one has slipped from my mind. Back on track, though.

#3 - Expand my stretching routine (I have been slacking on my stretching and have noticed my flexibility is suffering.) Flexibility is really coming along! I'm back to where I was before, and maybe even a little more Gumbyish! I love stretching, and I'm glad I'm making it a priority now.

Kara

little chick
01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Have been trying to do something everyday... I have decided that I am going to walk a marathon in sept. I am looking for a training program.
Tomorrow is a full two weeks, ph 1 is almost done, one small cheat, but it was a meal and not the whole day. Tomorrow I will weigh in.
Have started saving my toonies and loonies... everyday I clean out my wallet and drop them in my little bucket.I am still doing this. I am pretty proud of myself I am not really a saver.
This is a work in process, but right now I do love my life and am enjoying it and trying to keep stress out of my life.

Schmoodle
01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
You know, Kara, I really don't think it's very nice of you to remind us and hold us accountable every single week!!!

1. De-clutter and organize my summer kitchen, attics, garage, basement, and office.
I have been doing 15 minutes/day in my office
2. Get on an exercise program and learn to love it (thanks, little chick, for the second part).
I have gotten back on my walking program but nothing else. I plan to start using a bowflex tomorrow.
3. Get our budget in shape. I don't have any serious debt to deal with, thank goodness, but I've let things get a little loose in the money management department.
No progress here.
4. Get enough of the house renovations done that I can get my dining room table out of storage and have the family for Thanksgiving dinner next year.
We have been brainstorming about the summer kitchen additions. I got kitchen curtains up and DH hung my light fixture.
Signed up for my second training class, but no time to start yet.
Did 2 weeks of Ph1 and hit my halfway point. 5 lbs. closer to goal.

Well, that wasn't as painful as I though it would be. I guess I have made some progress after all.

pamatga
01-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Schmoodle:

Your 2008 goals were my 2007 goals and I was able to re-organize my life from rooms to closets to financial/legal papers. In fact, I really believe that once I did that it set the ground work for wanting to tackle my weight!

I am about 2-3 weeks away from finishing all of my interior decorating work and this past weekend I assembled a china hutch I had had for nearly 4 years.

You can do it and you will feel like a million bucks when you finished. I consider 2007 a real benchmark year for me.

2008? Hit my goal weight by 2009. Stick with this plan. Work on my second career and make more money at it. Open my heart up more and love more.
Maybe, just maybe, this Thanksgiving I will be serving Thanksgiving dinnner in our new home. Maybe......:)

Schmoodle
01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the encourgement, pamatga. It's funny that my this year's are your last year's! It must feel great to have accomplished so much. And you're right, it would feel wonderful to feel like I had a handle on things again. I was in a pretty good place in 2006 as far as running the household goes, but then life got crazy and I let things really slide. Maybe we will both be serving Thanksgiving dinner at home next year! I have a gorgeous dining room set that I bought a year and a half ago, but I haven't even taken the plastic off of it because the dining room is currently serving as the family room, until the summer kitchen addition gets done. I am tired of eating at the kitchen table!

It's just that Kara is such a slavedriver.:p

Skinny4baby
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Kara??? Do you have a special computer program that you use for the zero balance budget plan? I sooo NEED something like that...I find money is gone to fast and I honestly don't know where it went? Or if not, give us more pointers on what you do?? We could all use some extra moo-la $$ to buy some clothes with after we reach our goal. :carrot:

tomandkara
01-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Kara??? Do you have a special computer program that you use for the zero balance budget plan? I sooo NEED something like that...I find money is gone to fast and I honestly don't know where it went? Or if not, give us more pointers on what you do?? We could all use some extra moo-la $$ to buy some clothes with after we reach our goal. :carrot:

We just opened an Excel spreadsheet and that's where we do our budget. We list all of the income coming in (Tom's check :)) and all of the places we spend money in another column (general savings, specified savings - trips, Christmas, new car, etc. - church/charity, school expenses, clothing, insurance, rent, internet/phone, oil, IRA/other retirement account, food, "fun money" - movies, eating out, toys, souveniers, sightseeing - etc., etc., etc.). We list EVERYTHING. The goal is to save up for expenses before they happen. Since we don't have any debt (we don't own a home and our cars are paid for), it's easier for us to put away for savings. We have a set goal that we want to save for Christmas and for travel and we put away a certain percentage toward that goal every month. We are also saving for a down payment for a house, whenever that day comes around. Tom set the spreadsheet so it totals at the bottom of each column, and we just work the amounts so that the IN column equals the OUT column. At the end of every month, we sit and do the budget for the next month. It's like planning your meals for the next week.

Hope that helps!

Kara

tomandkara
01-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Have been trying to do something everyday... I have decided that I am going to walk a marathon in sept. I am looking for a training program.

LC, check out www.marathontraining.com. That's where I got the mileage buildup schedule and marathon training schedule for my marathon in September. I don't see why you couldn't just walk the recommended miles instead of running them, using the same schedule. I'm on the third week of the mileage buildup schedule and I figured out that if I leave one week between this one and then marathon training schedule, it'll take me exactly to my marathon on the 21st of September.

Kara

THINBYJUNE
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Wow, week 2 already??? O.K. Here goes.
Still finding this a major challenge at work but there is definite improvement.
Well, since "our" finances just became "my" finances again for the tiime being this one improved dramatically already :) And I still haven't bought anything not essential to sustaining life (Seriously a record here)
Still haven't one more than find the box and take it out of the closet. Maybe this week. At some point I'm bound to have to dust the box or move it and maybe then the disks will find their way into the computer :lol:

tomandkara
01-16-2008, 01:02 AM
You know, Kara, I really don't think it's very nice of you to remind us and hold us accountable every single week!!!

:lol: I figured better to get back on track after one week than 52!

Kara

little chick
01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Kara, I think that it is great....:lol: that you keep reminding us, cause I know that it would be week 51 and I would be saying that I didn't do it again this year.... plus as the year goes on we may want to add or change things around. That Schmoodle, she just dosn't want to clean her computer room. :wink: Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out right now.

tomandkara
01-17-2008, 02:10 AM
I know, that girl is a big slacker. :D

Kara

Schmoodle
01-17-2008, 03:04 PM
so true, I am a born couch potato. There's nothing I'd rather be doing than lying down with a book and a box of bonbons. I definitely need the butt-kicking.:kickbutt:

Kim_Star060404
01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
1. Get A's & B's in all classes I take this year.
We'll find out how I'm doing soon enough - start classes a week from Thurs!
Things look good for my first class. I actually studied before class - I knew what he was going to say before he said it. Statistics should be an easy B at the very least.
2. Continue to build up my minutes per day for working out.
Doing MUCH better consistently exercising approx 14+ miles a week...still building up, though. Would like 25 miles a week by end of Feb.
Not great, but I haven't gone a whole week without exercising yet - that is a huge move in the right direction for me.
3. Get aggressive about saving money and paying off our debt
Have added about $150 a month towards debt and another $100 a month towards savings - we don't need to eat out anymore!!
Backtracked a bit on this one by putting my books on my cc. I'm hoping to get that paid off very soon!

tomandkara
01-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Oops. Missed the Tuesday update post! Sorry, Schmoodle. I know you were really looking forward to it!!!

#1 - Train for and run my first marathon (September 2008) Still right on track! I passed my goal of fifty miles for this month and I still have a week of running left!

#2 - Focus on treating my body like a temple (I've realized that focusing on what I *can't* have has led to a negative attitude toward eating, so this year I am going to focus on treating my body well. One treat wouldn't sabotage those efforts, but stuffing myself with refined flours, food colorings, and sugar will. I need to treat my body respectfully so that I can accomplish all of the things I would like to do this year.) This one is a big struggle for me. I started the Extreme Fat Smash program on Sunday because I needed something that told me exactly what to eat when. I was getting tired of logging calories and making sure all the percentages added up. We'll see how this goes. I'm half way through the first week of the three week program. It's a LOT like Phase 2 (really, most of the diet crazes out there are all based on a whole grain, lots of veggies type thing) but it literally has three weeks of daily menus laid out for you with exercise suggestions for each day. It's good for me for right now. I don't expect to lose the four pounds a week the program promises...if I stay at one poundish a week I'll be happy, honestly. I also banished the scale this week. No more daily weigh-ins. I was going crazy wondering what I was doing to make that number jump up and down and it's just so much easier to go by how I'm feeling than by a number that doesn't necessarily reflect what I've done right (or wrong!) in my eating.

#3 - Expand my stretching routine (I have been slacking on my stretching and have noticed my flexibility is suffering.) Still going great here as well!

I've also added a #4 - Read two books a month (not including the stack of children's books I read the kids every day). I finished one and am in the middle of a second for this month.

How are you guys coming along?

Kara

THINBYJUNE
01-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Wow another week already. Amazing how fast tine flies when I'm not accomplishing my goals ;)

1. Slow down when eating. I eat entirely too fast. Still a work in progress but I'm working on it every meal. I'm also trying to leave a little on the plate each meal (grew up with the mentality of eat everything because there are starving children in the world)
2. Get our finances budgeted and stick to it. Waiting on w-2 so I can put the tax refund to work this year on debt vs. presents for Dawn
3. Finish my Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons. Yep the box is still just sitting there

tomandkara
01-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Dawn, you're hilarious! I think we'd get along smashingly in real life!!! Good for you paying down debt with your tax refund. You know, I have this huge compulsion to finish everything on my plate, too. I have a little trick when we go out to dinner. I ask for a take-home box right away and just put half of my meal away so that I can finish my plate and it's actually a realistic amount of food that should be eaten in one sitting. I've also heard that you can use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. Your plate is still full of food but there's less food on it than if you used a regular dinner-size plate. Then you don't have to feel so badly about finishing everything. Of course, that doesn't really solve the ingrained problem, but it's how I deal!

Kara

little chick
01-23-2008, 09:23 AM
1. Start exercising and liking it.Went to Latin line dancing last night it was a blast. So I am atleast going to two dance class a week. I really need to step it up. I am going to start my walking program the first of Feb

2. Back to the Beach way of life, no excuses. I am doing really well with my eating. I wish the scales would show it. But I guess I am not going to wake up skinny.

3. Save for my Jamaica vacation. ( A year from Feb)- doing fairly well with this. I have been putting my toonies and loonies away and in three weeks I have 87.00 saved.

4. Love life and enjoy it. Today this is a challenge, my dh is driving me crazy. But for the most part I am loving and enjoying where my life is right now.

I am adding another to my list.

5. To organize my book keeping and to do my paper work monthly. Make my buget plan for the month and stick with it, no matter what I want to buy that I can't live with out. - So far this is going to plan.

THINBYJUNE
01-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Kara- That's a great suggestions about the to go box. Now I just have to remember when I go out. (BTW- I think we'd be great friends outside of the virtual world as well)

LC - You are rockin' the resolutions woman. Can you fit in my Rosetta Stone since I'm lagging on that one? :lol:

Schmoodle - Where are you?:mag: You can't leave me here with these overacheivers by myself ;)

Schmoodle
01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Okay, okay, you need me to make you feel better about your accomplishments?
I will make you feel much better because I don't have much progress to report this week.
There is enough floor showing in my office that I can get the vacuum in here now. Haven't don it yet though.
No progress here.
No progress here.
No progress here.
No progress here, but I may need to change this one. I may be making a big career change very soon.
No idea here, as I am on scale strike.

THINBYJUNE
01-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Oh Schmoodle :hug: No I didn't want you to make me feel better about my accomplishments. I wanted someone to commiserate (sp?) with.;)

Schmoodle
01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
It's all good Dawn. I'm happy to keep you company. :hug:

tomandkara
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
We're almost one month into this year! How's it coming, gals?

#1 - Train for and run my first marathon (September 2008) Going great. Look at that little girl running her way to the end of that ticker!

#2 - Focus on treating my body like a temple (I've realized that focusing on what I *can't* have has led to a negative attitude toward eating, so this year I am going to focus on treating my body well. One treat wouldn't sabotage those efforts, but stuffing myself with refined flours, food colorings, and sugar will. I need to treat my body respectfully so that I can accomplish all of the things I would like to do this year.) First week of Extreme Fat Smash went smashingly. I think I have issues with authority. If "someone else" is telling me to eat healthily, I have a much easier time than if I make up the meal plan myself. Another issue I'll have to address with my personal psychologist when I'm rich and famous...

#3 - Expand my stretching routine (I have been slacking on my stretching and have noticed my flexibility is suffering.) Yay for Gumbyish muscles!

#4 - Read two books a month (not including the stack of children's books I read the kids every day). I'll have to trade in some of my TV time if I'm going to finish my second book by Thursday. Still doable, though.

Kara