South Beach Diet - What was your kick-start event that prompted you to lose weight

BellaLucia
12-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Mine was finding out that my bad cholesterol was too high.

Pearlrose
12-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Mine was seeing a picture of myself last Christmas- I have never been that big on top mainly carried weight on bottom half but in the picture I looked heavy up top and my arms were getting fat. It was a wake up call for me.

vixjean
12-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I am not doing south beach diet,
BUT,
my kick start was that my biggest pants, size 14 were digging into me, leaving marks, breaking buttons and hooks, to where I couldn't reach down to put my shoes on because I couldn't breath. All the signs of going shopping for size 16 or higher.
I looked at my profile, naked, in the mirror, and looked 4 months pregnet.
I didn't want to have sex.
My bras were too tight.
I bought underwear and had to cut it up the sides so that I could wear them, that was a big kick start.
My winter coat didn't fit!
But the BIGGEST thing was trying on a size 8 blue dress that I wore in the summer of 2006, it was so tight, my breasts wouldn't fit into the cups.
I had a wedding to go to and had to buy a new dress.
Then I realized that I felt too big to go to my company christmas party, again!
That is what did it for me!

Schmoodle
12-29-2007, 08:13 PM
I have wondered about this many times, why, this time, I decided to actually do something, when there were so many other times I wished I could lose weight, but never got motivated enough to try. It's a mystery still, but for some reason, that particular Saturday last May, I got on a plan and stayed on it. Now, two things that might have pushed me over are:
My size 22 jeans were getting VERY tight, and I was going to have to move up a size. I think I had convinced myself that I had reached some upper limit of fatness and wouldn't ever get any bigger. I had been the same jeans size for several years. And then I started having to lie down to zip.
Also, I had company coming last summer that hadn't seen me in years, and I was really embarrassed for them to see me so big. I lost 15 lbs. by the time they came, and even though that was a drop in the bucket and hardly noticeable, it did make me feel better, and I wanted to keep going.

As I mentioned though, I'd had reasons just as good many times before, so why these were magic, :shrug:

gina1221
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
For me it was similar to what Schmoodle wrote. There have been so many times, reasons, events, etc that SHOULD have motivated/pushed me to lose the weight but didn't. I just woke up one Saturday and decided the time to do something was now... not tomorrow, not Monday, not next week, not next month but NOW. I still don't know the reason but something just clicked for me and I am SO happy that it happened. :D

THINBYJUNE
12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Mine was when my four year old godson (His mom was 7 months pregnant at the time) asked me when I was having my baby. Kids say the darndest and most honest things. I started 2 weeks later.

CyndiM
12-29-2007, 09:43 PM
I had knee surgery 6 years ago. At the time the doc told me the only other thing she could do was knee replacement. My knee started to ache every time I walked up stairs. I'm only 46 and replacement knees don't last as long as I plan to. At that moment I knew that the only thing I could do was get the weight off and keep it off. Even 30 lbs would mean significantly less pressure on my knees.

Now, as I feel better and have more energy I'm finding other reasons to stick with it.

dixied
12-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Mine was stepping on the scale last Dec 17th and it said 200.5...I felt like if I didn't start right then (and I did) that I would never get under 200 again.

Shy Moment
12-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Mine was in May of this year the doc saying all the meds were just about out of my system and I could TRY to lose weight. I waited years to hear that.

BillBlueEyes
12-29-2007, 11:12 PM
I watched on TV as a large victim of Hurricane Katrina was unable to get out of a small boat without three men helping her. Didn't want to be like that.

Venvix
12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
I've tried the SBD before, and I might incorporate it into my current plan. But my kick start event was actually having Christmas dinner with my inlaws. I ate, and ate, and ate till I was full, and then I ate some more. The feeling of out of control that I had at the end of that meal was something that I didn't want to feel again. I felt that I needed to rein in the portion control, or I would be forced to replace all of my clothes within the next few weeks, as everything I owned was digging into my waist, back, and hips. I had lost about 20 lbs on SBD before, and I wanted to feel that feeling of control and empowerment that I felt back then. This time, it's for good!

little chick
12-30-2007, 05:08 AM
I am feeling fat,uncomfortable, back is hurting, clothes are getting tight. I have been doing sbd for what seems like forever. But not really staying true, I lose some feel great and then my old habits sneak back in. I have done nothing but eat the entire holiday season and am feeling horrible. So I am starting back Jan 1. I just want to be a healthier me.

femmecreole
12-30-2007, 08:01 AM
I've posted this story before but....

My Dad was in the hospital when Katrina hit. He had been sick for years with diabetes,cogestive heart failure, knee replacements, back surgeries, etc. He had just had another surgery before the storm hit and had just been moved from intensive care to critical care. Long story short, since we had no communcation (no phones, cell phones, not allowed into New Orleans) we did not know what had happened to my parents for days. I was finally able to get in my car and start driving several days later when all the debris was moved out of my street (I live about an hour north of N.O.) We drove towards Baton Rouge and finally got a cell signal. I called my sister in North Carolina and it was then I found out that she had chartered a medical jet and somehow they got to New Orleans and got my parents out. Daddy was in the hospital in NC for about a month after that. In Dec of that year, on his birthday, he was diagnosed with kidney cancer and told he had 6 months to live.

I was able to visit at Christmas and Easter of that year and we talked a lot while I was there. The last day I saw him alive was Easter, April 16th. He died on May 23rd. On one of our last talks on Easter day, he told me that he really wanted me to lose weight and did not want me to suffer like he had. He had bugged me for years about my weight and usually it just made me mad. On that day it did not, I could tell he was concerned that I would go down the same path as he did. I promised him on that day that I would lose weight.

I didn't do a thing about the weight for a year. My whole world had turned upside down since the storm and I ate away the grief. Then one day, I woke up and something said to me, "today is the day", and I started researching what "diet" would be best for me and that's when I found SB. I bought the book the next day and read all day and started the day after that. A few days later, I realized that I had started on April 16th...a year to the day since the last time I saw my Daddy. I like to think it was him reminding me of my promise. I kept the promise and met my goal a few weeks ago. I plan on eating this way the rest of my life (except on Thanksgiving and Christmas!!)

My Mama now spends winter with me and the rest of the year with my sister in NC. this year, my Mom and Sister flew in a few weeks early to also attend a family wedding. They arrived here in early November. I went to pick them up at the airport and when I saw my Mama walking towards me on the concourse, I'll never forget the look on her face and the comment she made. She had tears in her eyes, hugged me and said "Look at my SKINNY daughter. Daddy would be so proud of you!!" It was worth every not-eaten cookie to hear that. And she was right. Daddy would have been so proud.

Ruthxxx
12-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Cat, that is so touching!

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my kick-start moment. I am not very faithful to my diet plan and it shows. Sometimes I feel very guilty about being a MOD on this Forum and doling out so much advice. "Heal thyself." I'm hoping being scheduled for knee surgery in late January will be an incentive to get with the programme.

Kim_Star060404
12-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Cat - what a beautiful story and tribute to your dad. I know he would have been proud of you!

For me, I've been trying for a long time - ages it seems. Being diagnosed with PCOS told me the truth. My body was working against me when it came to weight loss and that I would have to work harder than if I didn't have it. About a month ago, DH decided that he wanted to lose his (miniscule) gut and find his six-pack, so he joined me by working out when I did and eating what I did. It wasn't negative at all, which is hard for him, being the world's best pessimist! I'll admit, I consider him a bit of a drill sargeant when it comes to food, but having him work out at the same time I do means the world to me. Seeing the disappointment on his face makes me put food back now because I know he's making the same sacrifices I am. I'm seeing some wonderful changes in our bodies and our relationship. It's brought us closer than we've been in a while. I think that the fact that I've lost 8.5 lbs since before Thanksgiving is a true testament to what DH and I can do together. We're in this for the long haul and we're in it together!

GONNABE165
12-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Mine was when I came back from a cruise 6lbs heavier than when I left - I started out loosing the 6 and just kept going the best I could

Schmoodle
12-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I just came back to re-read this thread and try to rekindle some motivation, which has been sorely lacking in me for the last week.
There are some great stories on this thread that really touched me and brought a tear to my eye, and several that could be mine too. Cat, I'd never realized your reasons for losing weight, and now I understand your dedication. I'm sure your Dad IS very proud. Bill, what a horrible situation for that poor woman to be in. I can imagine how she felt. I've wondered what would happen if I ever needed medical help and they had to carry me down the stairs or pry me out of a car. Kim, it's so sweet what you and your husband have done together.
Thanks so much for sharing, everybody!

cottagebythesea
12-30-2007, 02:19 PM
I had always been in pretty good shape until I was in my mid-40s, then the weight started creeping on. Diabetis (sp) runs in my family, and I didn't want to go there! Also, I didn't want to spend the rest of my life on high blood pressure medications or any other meds, so I decided that I'd better start doing something about it. The South Beach Diet is the best thing that's ever happened to me! I'm able to get down on the floor to play with my grandkids, and run and play sports with the older kids, too. I'll never let myself get out of shape again.

Barb0522
12-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I was 214 pounds. I was on 3 blood pressure medicines and my doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol medicine if I didn't lose weight and get my cholesterol to a healthy level. I had a young son and it was hard to do some things with scouting at the weight level I was at.

I have let some creep back on but I'm still well below where I started. I'm only on one blood pressure medicine and my cholesterol is normal. I am active and I like who I am. I think losing the weight also helped me to make the painful decision to end this marriage that wasn't working.

suzka
12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Mine was a combination of two things...

first was sort of a half hearted, 'i'll start thinking about it' moment, when my mom and i started planning a trip to Tybee Island in may. I really wanted to go, but as usual when there's a beach involved, i start thinking about how i just can't ever seem to get the courage up to wear a bathing suit in public. so i end up in shorts and a T-shirt. UGH.

this was in october, and in november my boyfriend found my somewhat recently started 'stash'. i'd snuck food before, fast food while out on errands without him, candy and snacks hid in my purse from the grocery store. but i'd just started actually hiding it in a special safe place. he was looking for envelopes and found it. i felt so humiliated and scared, he said i had an eating disorder and i was making myself sick. like others, diabetes runs in my family, as well as thyroid disease.

that's when we decided together that after thanksgiving (of course!) we would change the way we live, feel and look forever.

We started Dec. 2nd and haven't really looked back. I've lost 15lbs, he's lost 12lbs and while some days are harder than others i think i have the hang of it between watching my calories with fitday, and following the Good Fats Good Carbs guide.

Also, i started using Cindy Crawford's 'A New Dimension' dvd, and its great. its sort of tailored for women who have just given birth, but it also works well for those who haven't worked out in a loooong time and need to ease back into it.

I couldnt be happier with how things are going and i owe much of it to SBD on 3FCs!

PS... mods, how can i add my Jan loss goal to the post?

Ruthxxx
12-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Sure thing, Suzka. Just post it in the thread and I'll add it to the next update.

And :welcome: to The Beach!

ThinAgainBeginAgain
12-31-2007, 01:29 AM
First of all, GREAT THREAD!!! This is funny, because in the last year or so, I 'started', several times, and crashed and burned... My downward spiral of weight gain was mostly a result of my brother committing suicide, and using food and wine to soothe myself...

It's been 1-1/2 years,... after many false-starts, including low-fat diets, alli, etc.... I headed off for my annual weekend w/ the girls (college friends), and, I get there and witness one of my best friends, who is my height (5'9") and always was heavy, weighing 75 lbs less than she has ever weighed in the 20+ years I've known her!!!!! Here she was, stylish in her size 8 outfits, and looking like a woman 30 years younger than the one I saw last year!!!!! I think the world of this lady no matter WHAT she weighs, but, at her new featherweight size, she is stunning, no sking hanging, no look of a woman who had her stomach stapled and is just waiting to have her excess skin hauled in, She was BEAMING!!

Anyway, after all the compliments and kudos, I asked her what she did, and she said she followed (loosely) the SBD, and did it to regulate her husband's sugar better (he also lost 45 lbs). I thought, if she could do this, so can I, after all, I had a lot less weight to lose. That was less than two months ago. I came home that Sunday, told my husband I'd like us to try SBD, and in the weeks since November 4, I've lost 20 lbs and my dear hubby has lost almost 30. This period of time has included two office parties, my birthday dinner, Thanksgiving, Christmas eve at my in-laws, and three parties at our house in the space of one week!!!

Anyway, for anyone considering SB, do it! It works!!! And my resolution for the new year is to step up the workouts to get myself in the top physical condition. Good luck to all of you, and Happy, Healthy New Year!!!!

ThinAgainBeginAgain
12-31-2007, 01:31 AM
LOL!~ Re-read my thread... I meant to type '30 years old, 10 years younger' ... had my friend looked 30 years younger, she would be 10!!!!!!!:carrot:

atxgirl
12-31-2007, 02:25 AM
For me its been 6 years leading up to me making real changes. My family has been through some difficult times and I gained some weight, I was in a bad marriage and ate my feelings for years.
I have made some big changes in the last few months, from cutting back on the social drinking almost completely to getting to the gym 3 times a week come **** or high water.
2 weeks ago I was able to do 45 minutes of cardio non-stop and was SO VERY proud of myself because I am so out of shape that my lungs have had to adjust along the way.
I now feel like I finally have the energy and the will power to add the diet component in to see real results!
I did phase 1 years ago and lost 10 pounds in the 2 weeks, this time I plan to stick with the diet and work through the phases.

KO
12-31-2007, 04:39 AM
Let me first say Cat your post was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes!
I had WLS in sept of 06 while I can't decide for anyone else it was the best decision I ever made! I had spent 23 years of my life dieting losing 20 and gaining back more. I have CP and Fibromyalgia. I decided in 06 to do it b/c I was turning 30 and in terms of my cp that makes me OLD quick.
I've lost 70 pounds and can move even tho I'm in a bad flare. . .if this had happened at 205 or even my highest 225 I'd be in bed.
Why I'm coming back to the beach? It's the only woe I feel good and in control on! the best part is looking at the goodies and crap food and saying "no thanks" and meaning it!
DH and I are starting Ph1 jan 1 and we've set our goals! and I'm making little thermometers to color in our progress! and slapping those bad boys on the fridge!
Kierie

LoveMySgt
01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
My reproductive endocrinologist (basically a fertility doc) told me the only way I would lose weight is if I followed the SBD. I have tried a lot of other eating plans but this really is the only one I have lost weight on without having to take the meds they always try to shove at me.

Once I got the ok to go back to ph1 while nursing, I went for it! I've not lost anything in weeks but that's ok, I know it will come off.

DH is going from the Navy to Army and needs to be 21% body fat, he started at 26%. He was planning on starving himself but I suggested we do a ph1 together and he agreed! He has lost the weight he needed, is down to his 21% and is STILL losing. He has been so happy that he gave up regular pop/soda *look of shock* and is going to stay on SB! (well, with a few cheats he has planned)

RNMOM
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
A rude coworker was talking behind my back. She was telling nurses that I work with that I was getting so fat. I walked in on her saying...everything she's lost shes put back on PLUS. She didn't know I was standing there. I was pretty hurt, but shouldn't have been surprised. She spews venom wherever she is. I went on to lose 53.5 pounds, unfortunately, I've put half of that back on.................sooooo here I go again.

Happy to lose
01-03-2008, 11:08 PM
My kick start was to be told that my blood sugars were up for the second time. Now, every time I want to eat something not on the SB diet I remember how much I love my feet. I don't want to be diabetic and risk my eyesight, internal organs and extremities.
I've never been a big meat eater and now I'm very conscious about having more protein in my diet. It's working too because I've lost 13 lbs and I feel better.
I'm very thankful that I've had the opportunity to change things around with my body

pamatga
01-05-2008, 06:19 AM
I have mentioned before about my nuclear family all having health problems right now. I had also begun to show some of the same symptoms two years ago. The first thing I did in 2005 was cut out caffeine. I have been caffeine-free since then except for times when I have a diet soda in a restaurant and they don't hav caffeine free. That helped my high blood pressure go from 150/90 to 115/72 and it has stayed there since.

2007 saw my nuclear family-Dad first then only sibling and sister and now my Mom dealing with some serious health issues. Heart disease and stroke for my Dad. He quit smoking 8 years ago and has never resumed after having a stroke. He is careful about what he eats but without exercising, which he hates, his legs will continue to clog up with cholesterol. So, all of the hard work he has done needs to be supplemented with exercise. Even at age 78.

My sister is a heavy smoker. She was diagnosed with COPD. I pray for her daily that she will quit smoking. She is also taking blood pressure medicine and she is younger than me. She is also moderately depressed. She is in denial about so many things in her life. She is a single mom with a handicapped son and a daughter who was just told she had a congenital heart problem.

Recently, my mom was diagnosed with two kinds of cancer (was told two days before Christmas). She just dealt with an infected cyst on her back this past fall and she is also diabetic. She has controlled her diabetes well for someone who has had to learn "terms" like carbs and glycemic index in her 70s. She is trying hard but I see some of the food choices she makes and I cringe. I wish I could help her understand her disease better without "bullying" her about it. I try to educate not preach.

Now, we are waiting for her to have surgery to find out how advanced her cancer is. That will determine how long she will be with us. Unfortunately, she had two different doctors tell her to not ignore some of these symptoms she had in the past 2 years and she did. Now, she is very scared and worried.

I too do not want to end up taking a lot of pills, constantly running to the dr like they do, and just plain being not in top form. Health is a very precious thing and I am sad that for decades I too punished myself with food rather than deal directly with what was happening in my life.

I have almost 13 years of OA behind me so I would say my compulsive overeating is "arrested" (not cured) so now I am here to clean up my act.

I take each day, each holiday, each eating event as an opportunity to say Yes to Health. I don't think about what I can't have. Instead, I think about what and how I feel after making good and better food choices.

I suspected that I have had some of the early signs of congestive heart failure and diabetes by how I was feeling in 2004-2005. I did have some minor angina the first time I stepped back on my treadmill back in Sept 2007 but since then things have gone well and I have increased my intensity and time. I have advanced arthritis and I was bed-ridden with some flare-ups back then too. I did not realize that any inflammation in your body also affects your heart! I do now!

I am not sharing this for sympathy but to illustrate that so much of the illness and poor health we all experience can be either improve or disappear just by how we eat. To me, I don't understand why others don't at least try to make some dietary changes rather than go on yet another pill. My mom has had allergic reactions to pills that she needs to take. So, if you think you can wait and control your health with pills, think again. The one pill you need to save your life, you might not be able to "tolerate".

I mentioned to my DH a while back that there are two strong motivators in life: Fear and Love. Fear has gotten me to get serious about getting all of this weight off. Love (for myself and my family) will keep me at it and continue with it--until I die, hopefully, of natural causes.;)

vealcalf2000
01-05-2008, 07:14 AM
My kick start was when I realized that everyday I got ready for work I was grabbing the sz 24 elastic waist jeans. Ugh, those things are hideous, the narrow legged ugly kind. I'm only 31 and I was like I look like a fashionless old lady and it's all because of putting on the weight. I vowed then and there I would lose the weight to get out of those pants, and I haven't put them on since--not even for around the house things. Ugly clothes just brought me down.

kessa
01-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't think there was a specific moment or motivation for me. I just tried another diet (one of thousands) and this time it's been working. I've lost 18 pounds in the two-month period including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. I seem to be having a pretty easy time following the SBD and am thrilled. I wanted to respond, though, to something you wrote, Happy to Lose. You wrote that whenever you're tempted to go off the diet, you remember that you like your feet. Thank you for sharing that; I plan to use that as a motivator for myself. I like my feet and I don't want anything to happen to my eyesight. I have no family history of diabetes, but being more than 100 pounds overweight is a pretty big risk factor. 3FC website has been a real lifesaver (feetsaver?) for me. ;)

crk05
01-06-2008, 12:54 AM
No single event, but really a series of things that happened after I had my baby last March. I gained a LOT of weight during pregnancy due to a combination of bedrest, stress, and comfort eating (major!!) After I had my son, I was still dragging around 35 extra pounds which weren't budging, but I still didn't force myself to take better care of myself, constantly making excuses. But, when I realized that I couldn't wear ANY pre-pregnancy pants other than my very baggiest sweats and that a lot of my friends who delivered around the same time lost their baby weight and were in pre-pregnancy clothing by the time their babies were a few months old, I realized that what I was doing was just plain WRONG. My situation isn't way out of hand, but I don't want to let it get that way, and I want to be healthy and also set a good example for my son. As the holidays passed, I resolved to return to the beach and get to where I was before. I'm not really a new year's resolution person, but I guess, by coincidence, I have one this year!

coopspa
01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
My kickstart was that we bought the family season passes to a theme park for Christmas. When we went for the first time the day after, I realized I was making excuses to not go on the rides because I was secretly terrified that I wouldn't fit. I started thinking about all the stuff I was missing out on and that my kids deserved better and I deserved better! This body is NOT who I am and I want my real one back!

zookeepera949906
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Mine came when I sat in an armed dining room chair at my mother's house and wasn't sure I was going to be able to get back out of it. That led me to wonder about what would happen if I died - would my family have to pick out and pay extra for an oversized coffin and would they have to request extra pallbearers?

It's morbid, I know, but the humiliation that realization brought was one heck of a motivator for me!

DianaG
01-09-2008, 09:53 AM
My wake up call this time was when I had my second child. During my pregancies I was being careful of everything I ate due to my diabetes. Strict blood glucose control was important for the baby and me. I only gained 8lbs the entire pregnancy. (I lost in the first trimester due to morning sickness, yuck). My baby was 8lbs 13 oz and when I left the hospital I was only 1lb less than when I had her! How does that math work, stupid fluid retention.

I then had ppd. I had been laid off from the company where I worked after 9 years with them at 28 weeks pregnant. I developed pre-eclampsia and my blood pressure was through the roof and then my daughter was born with a small birth defect that had to be removed when she turned six months old. Between being worried about work, my daughter's surgery, and my blood pressure not coming down after the birth, not to mention the sleep deprivation of having a newborn and a nineteen month old at home it is no wonder I developed post-partum depression. I gained 10 lbs in 8weeks and felt horrible.

It took about 10 months for the depression meds, tai-chi and my inner attitutude to defeat the ppd. I am now my normal optimistic self. I am enjoying playing with my girls and my moment came when we took them to Islands of Adventure and I was watching the video my husband took of all of us. I am huge and I do not want my girls to ever be embarrassed to bring a friend home, and I want to be in shape to keep up with them in the yard and at the playground. I am commited to losing this time for my health and for my family.

happyteacher
01-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Here I am back again, some of you may remember me. I had a hard time staying on proram everytime I have attempted this 'lifestyle change.' Well, what brough me back, and for good this time is that I had been praying that something inside me would just click so that I can really commit to losing me excess weight. But I really don't talk to people about me efforts to lose it because I have such a bad track record of getting off program so easily. Well, a few weeks ago out of the blue my mom told me she just really for some reason wanted me to get a blood test and make sure that I healthy. Well, I decided why not, I am curious as well. So I made an appointment with my doctor and had atest done and it turns out that everything is great except my insulin level which is sky high. She said it was the highest she had seen in a while. She also told me that I don't yet have diabetes but if I keep going at this rate I soon will, and that if my husband and I had children right now I would become diabetic during pregnancy and that it would potentially be harmful to my baby. Boy did this slap me in the face. This was the exact thing that I needed. Something to boost my motivation, what I had been praying for (not or diabetes of course but for something to just switch on my motivation.) Now, I am determined, beyond determined (if it's even possible) I am a teacher and love children, I can't wait to have kids of my own so this was absolutely the moment where I saw the light on a new road for me. It may sound strange but when I walked out of the doctors a few days ago, instead of being depressed and upset, I was grateful and felt stronger than ever before. So, here I am, 2 days down and going strong.