South Beach Diet - Phase I Starters 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : Phase I Starters 2008

Ruthxxx
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Some folks have already started Phase I but there will be a big influx of new folks on January 1. Let's get the new thread started so we can support each other as a group rather than having individual and repetitive threads.

If you are new, please do an introduction post and then join this group.

little chick
12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Ruth you are always on the ball. I am going to spend the week end re reading the book and getting ready for Jan 1st.

Kim_Star060404
12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
My big plans for tomorrow are to clean out the pantry and fridge and finalize my P1 menu. Monday we're doing our big P1 grocery shopping and prep. I may also cook a few meals to freeze. Monday night we're going to a casual bash at our friends' place, so we're going to be quite lax until then. Tuesday the gloves come off!!

I need to order a new copy of the book as my copy "walked" off. I think it may be in the hands of my BIL's ex-girlfriend, but I'm not sure. Off to B&N!!

Ruthxxx
12-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Kim, WAIT! A revised copy will be out at the end of April 2008. Amazon is taking pre-orders. Be sure to use the 3FC link to order so the site gets the credit.

Kim_Star060404
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks, Ruth. I knew I had heard about the revised edition, but I wasn't sure when it's coming out. I'll be sure to use the link!

Schmoodle
12-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Count me in! Tuesday's the big day. I'm going to plan menus and shop this weekend. I think I'll plan all 2 weeks of Ph1 so it's a no-brainer. I'm very excited and ready to get back to normal.

Kim_Star060404
12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
That's what I'm doing, Schmoodle. Planning every bite down to my pre-workout snacks. That's the only way for me to stay on track. (Besides coming to 3FC every day! :D)

cottagebythesea
12-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm using the weekend to use up or throw out all the Frankenfood, and am also planning my menus for the next 2 weeks of Phase 1. Every meal and snack will be planned, so there's no room for excuses for me.
Now if only this darned ankle would heal already, so I can get back to exercising again.

Kiko
12-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I started Phase 1 on 12/16, so am a few days in. I have not been eating as balanced as I should, but will do a good grocery shop on Sunday. This is at least detoxing my body if nothing else. :)

phxsunflower
12-28-2007, 11:33 PM
What motivation you all have! My plan is to go through the book again and get the stuff I need on Monday. Glad this thread was started I will be here often.

Pearlrose
12-29-2007, 12:41 AM
I am there with you all, I am planning on doing the full two weeks of Phase I to get back on track and get the ball rolling again. I actually have to work on New Years Day but am already planning in my head what I need to pack for work to stay on track that day. I am glad there will be lot's of us doing phase I together will keep me motivated.

cheryltwin
12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Hello all... I'm new to South Beach... got to goal on Weight Watchers and have pretty much maintained my weight until the past 6 months... a little too much freedom and I feel like all I eat is lower fat carbs... need to try something a little different to get back in control!

I have many questions and know that this is a great place to be for support. I am shopping today and will come back frequently as I've already read so many great posts!

Happy New Year to all!

dixied
12-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Today is menu planning and pantry cleaning, Monday is going to be a huge shopping trip. I have cleaned up my act since Christmas, though, so Ph1 won't be as much as a shock to my system, I hope.

KO
12-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Just Peapodded all my groceries and tomorrow and Monday will be spent Adiosing all the foul non SBD Ickyness from my pantry!
Tomorrow is Menu planning But I know I'm making a meatloaf tomorrow and Taco Bake on Monday
Bring it on!
Now where are my boxing gloves ;)

McMoo
12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and will be starting Phase 1 on Jan 1!

I am very excited to start 2008 off with a clean slate and make some real healthy changes in my life.

Happy (AND HEALTHY) New Year!

bkstitch
12-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Girls,
I am not new here. I started this summer, and lost quite a bit of weight. I have been really bad the whole month of December. My son is going back home today and tomorrow I am cleaning out and writing a grocery list out. Everyone who is writing out menu plans, will you please share your menu's. Sometimes it is really helpful to see what others are eating. I am excited to start this again, I am feeling really lazy, and am really mad at myself. I am going to reweigh myself on Jan 1. Lets share our menus. I am working on mine and I will share Monday morning, or tomorrow evening.

Schmoodle
12-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Welcome cheryl and McMoo, and welcome back bkstitch!
I just planned my two weeks of PH1 dinners and did my shopping for the first week. Here they are:

Mediterranean Chicken
Taco Bake
Eggplant Bake
Shrimp Stir Fry
Pork Loin Roast, Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Chili
Cream of Broccoli and Chicken Soup
Reuben Salad
Meatloaf
Pork and Pepper Salad
Ham and Lima Bean Soup (have to check if limas are PH1 legal)
Shrimp Scampi
Chicken Divan

I'll add in salads and veggies where needed. For breakfast and snacks, I've got plenty of turkey bacon, eggs, string cheese, V8, LCLC, raw veggies, and nuts. Lunch is usually leftovers. I think I'm good to go!

zookeepera949906
12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm new to SB, and I'm gonna need all the support I can get! I can't throw out all the non-SB foods since my hubby, kids, and live-in MIL aren't along for my journey, so I'll have to rely on the same will-power that helped me quit smoking a few years ago, I guess. Another extra challenge is that I'm breastfeeding my youngest, but it really shouldn't be a problem since, at 19 months old, he gets probably 95% or more of his actual nutrition from regular food.

Anyway, I just wanted to go ahead and wade in here. I actually won't be starting SB P1 until Wednesday the 2nd since we have a big New Year's Day lunch at my Mom's - I figure I'll be more likely not to sabotage myself right from the start if I just wait out that particular temptation. I will go ahead and shop for it - probably Monday, and then hope my kids don't eat all of my allowed foods before I get started! lol

Jennifer

celticstone66
12-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Hello Everyone

Today was my first day back on the Beach. I was successful on this plan a couple of years ago and slowly strayed away. I'm excited to be back at it again and this seems like a very friendly place.

Thanks for sharing your menu Schmoodle. I find that very helpful and will look up some of those recipes.

Laura

foody
12-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Hopefully I'll find it by Tuesday. I plan on easing into it over the next couple of days. I am excited to have the support of someone other than my hubby (who lost 5 lb in 5 days, just cuz he can!
:mad:
I look forward to our combined successes!

nettie39
12-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Hello everyone! I'll be starting (again) a diet with co-workers and more importantly, my family in 2008. I've been studying the books, and my husband and I will do a grocery trip tomorrow to prepare for phase one. Meanwhile, we are having a nasty carb bonanza this weekend to get it out of our system and the cupboards! Even the kids will be changing their eating, since SB is healthier than what we're eating now. Happy New Year!

Diva
12-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Lemme ask a question... I was looking on Amazon and I am unsure which book I need to get? I am a SB newbie. I was doing my own modified version of Atkins (becuz there's NO way I can ONLY eat 20 carbs a day) but after looking at some SB menus I realized I am doing SB more than anything and I'd like to read the books but where do I start?

Here's the link I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-8612874-4229539?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Southbeach+Diet

Schmoodle
12-30-2007, 02:46 PM
There is a new, updated SB book coming out in a few months. The old one (2003) is great, but has some outdated info in it. If you can get that one from the library or find it used, it's worth a read for all the theory behind the diet and basic guidelines. But I'd wait and invest in the new book when it comes out. In the meantime, this forum has the updated food lists, faqs, recipes, etc. that you can use to get started.

Diva
12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
K. :) TYVM Schmoodle.

dbz
12-30-2007, 03:13 PM
count me in!

new to 3FC, not so new to SB but Hubby & I are both restarting it on Tuesday since we feel our weight has spiraled out of control since we dropped SB in June. I've got about 10-11 entrees for the next 2 weeks, plenty of side dishes, will shop today and finally pick up the thing that will help me most of all: a mini food prep (30 minute recipes are only 30 minutes when you have assistants prep your food beforehand and with a F/T job and night time studies, I need all the help I can get!)

now I just need to reconcile myself to the fact that I need to get up early & hit the elliptical (we own one) at least 4 mornings a week (if not 5). oy :D

fraloulou
12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Hello,

I am starting SB again and will need support.

I heard about 3fatchicks through a co-worker, she said I would get all the help I need here.

This is it - 2008 is our year!!!

cinderly
12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Restarting SBD on Tuesday and have been cleaning fridge & pantry of non-SB foods. It's a great plan, but I'm looking forward to moving to Ph 2 already!

My formula for 2008 South Beach success is Planning + Consistency + Goals. If I make my weekly menu plans, it's easy to stick to the plan (consistency.) Since I've got my second triathlon in May and a trip to Ireland in October, I've got the goals, too, to keep from slacking off.

We can do this!

little chick
12-30-2007, 07:12 PM
First week menu is pretty much planned out for suppers. Went and picked up a few things needed for some recipies... Can't wait to get started, I am feeling so crappy. My start date is Jan 2nd. DD's bday is the first and we are having a family dinner with choc cheesecake. Although I think I will follow plan all day and only have a wee little piece.

Pearlrose
12-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Went shopping today for phase I supplies- had to hide some of the items in the fridge from my 4 year old- she will eat all the cheese :) she is like a mouse loves cheese. I am excited to start- I have been feeling very crappy the last past weeks and the scale has moved up a couple of lbs. I will weigh in on the first and then move ticker up if I have to ; (

But on a great postive note this is my last night of nights- Hooray- I am moving back to days this week.

atxgirl
12-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Count me in! I am starting phase 1 on the 1st :) Going to go through the fridge, freezer and pantry tomorrow and hit the grocery store.
I am feeling really overwhelmed and would love an online buddy who has somethings in common with me...engaged, cook just for FI and myself, BUSY, on yahoo and ICQ...its taken me a year of getting more active to lose the first 10 pounds and in 2008 I am going to get married, graduate from college (FINALLY!) and lose the 20 pounds that I am so tired of carrying around with me.

I plan on being a regular on here! I come and go and can be shy but love the support, information, and recipes that are on here!

GONNABE165
12-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Do be sure and count me in as I will be phase 1 bound 1/1/08. Got my menu together and the grocery list and I will be headed out to do my shopping in a few minutes.

Good luck and :dust: to all the new & old starters of phase 1

little chick
12-31-2007, 07:19 AM
Today I am cleaning out the kitchen.... Yeah me. I am ready to get started. I am tired of feeling crappy.

cottagebythesea
12-31-2007, 07:35 AM
:welcome3: to all the Newbies that will be joining us!!!!

Diva, you can pre-order the new South Beach Diet book on Amazon by typing in "updated South Beach Diet". That's what I did, and the book will be shipped around May 2. Don't forget to order anything on Amazon through our 3FC Amazon link. ;) You'll find the link in the stickies posted above.

norvalentine
12-31-2007, 08:38 AM
I am new, would like to start within the hour, but I'm actually having difficulty finding a sample menu. I see the recipes in the book but is there a place where a couple of days menus are written out so I can get a look at what a day should look like? I'm hungry now (8:34 am), maybe someone will post a reply quickly. I just got the book Saturday (today's Monday) and haven't spent much time with it. If someone could help me out with this request I'd really appreciate it. I want to start NOW! Thanks.

Schmoodle
12-31-2007, 09:23 AM
norvalentine, I've got this posted on my fridge, and I'm sure I got it from here somewhere, but I can't find it. Maybe one of the mods knows. Anyway,

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup
Fruit: 1 serving allowed daily (with this meal or other, Ph 2 or 3). Gradually increase to 3 total servings /day.
Starch: 1 serving allowed daily (with this meal or other, Ph 2 or 3). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings /day.
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt).
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups
Fruit: see breakfast info
Starch: see breakfast info
Milk/Dairy: see breakfast info

DINNER
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups
Fruit: see breakfast info
Starch: see breakfast info
Milk/Dairy: see breakfast info

SNACKS and DESSERT: optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

DRINKS: Diet, decaf, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas, but limit to 1 - 2 servings/day.

For example, here's what a normal day would look like for me (Ph 2):

B: deviled egg, 2 pcs turkey bacon, V8
S: String cheese
L: A bowl of veg soup or a salad with meat and raw veggies, dressing
S: skim milk latte, apple with peanut butter
D: chicken breast, veggies, salad, brown rice
S: fudgesicle, or nonfat yogurt with agave nectar

For Ph1, I'd skip the apple with peanut butter and have celery with LCLC instead, and skip the brown rice. Hope this helps! Now eat something!

Diva
12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
:welcome3: to all the Newbies that will be joining us!!!!

Diva, you can pre-order the new South Beach Diet book on Amazon by typing in "updated South Beach Diet". That's what I did, and the book will be shipped around May 2. Don't forget to order anything on Amazon through our 3FC Amazon link. ;) You'll find the link in the stickies posted above.

Got'cha! ;)

agirlscamaro
12-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Iíve decided Iím starting the SB diet this year. Iíve always done weight watchers. I lost about ten pounds on it last year in the first 4 months then gained about 15 pounds in the last month and a half. I like the idea of the south beach diet because itís a more structured plan as far as what you can eat goes. What I have read about it seems good. Iíd like to pick up a book on it as a reference point. I know very little about it so the book will help with me as well.

For me the biggest challenge is going to be cutting out the sodaís. I drink mainly diet sodaís for caffeine intake. Itís a really bad habit that SB is going to help me break!

I will be at my goal weight by my birthday next year (01/05/09) Iím going to be the ďskinnyĒ one in the family again. :carrot:

celticstone66
01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Happy New Year everyone! I've been doing fine. I've been able to stay with Phase one foods, but I would like to add a few more salads to my plan.

Hope everyone is hanging in there,

Laura

phxsunflower
01-01-2008, 12:33 PM
good morning everyone:wave:
Made it through to the new year!! Just had my western omelet and glass of water ready to start my day. I think I will go boil some eggs to leave in the fridge. I have 5 meats planned that I can eat that the family will also eat so I think I need to do some more thought on food plans. I hope this time through phase 1 will be as manageable as the first time I went through it. It is just 14 days anyone can do 14 days!!!

lesszmore
01-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey everyone! :)

I plan on starting SBD next week when i go back to work. Its too hard for me to start at home w/DH and kids here. I also need to go grocery shopping an wont be able to until the weekend.

Anyone have any good breakfast ideas? I dont eat eggs so scramble, quiches etc are out for me.

GONNABE165
01-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Hello and welcome to all the newbies stating with us.

I started phase 1 today and I can feel the effects already - sugar is leavin the bod.

phxsunflower
01-01-2008, 04:41 PM
coming back with a question. Is No sugar added hot cocoa allowed on phase 1? the ingredients are:Modified whey,Nonfat dry milk, cocoa, maltodextrin, hydrogenated coconut oil, calcium carbonate, less than 2% of salt, dipotassium, phosphate, carrageenan, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, artificial flavors, polysorbate 60 mono and diglycerides. Sure a lot of things for hot cocoa. Wanted to know. Thanks

cottagebythesea
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
phxsunflower, NSA hot cocoa is allowed on Phase 1, but that's an awful lot of unneccesary chemicals in whatever brand you're looking at! :eek: I don't know if all brands have all those additives, but if they do, I'd avoid them like the plague! It's so easy to make your own. Just put a spoonful of cocoa powder in a mug with some splenda or sweetener of your choice, and add a tiny bit water to make a runny syrup, then add skim milk to fill the mug and a drop or two of vanilla and microwave it. It's yummy!

cottagebythesea
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
:welcome3: lesszmore! (Love the name!) We're happy to have you joining us!

Here's a link to a thread in our FAQ section about other breakfast alternatives that will give you plenty of ideas -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57532

tammay
01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi there!

Just wanted to chime in that I started PH1 today. I've done SBD for a short time in the past, when I discovered lowcarb dieting (and yes I know that SBD is not a lowcarb diet but a good carb diet :D) and was trying a lot of different plans. I liked it but I'm a dairy fanatic and switched to a more lowcarb plan because I love full-fat dairy.

I lost 30 pounds during that time but major stress and changes the past year and a half have led me back to unhealthy binge/diet eating and a gain of 20 of those pounds. Now things have calmed down, I'm reading The Beck Diet Solution (which isn't a diet but is a cognitive behavioral approach that goes along with whatever plan you're doing to get you to change unhealthy behaviors) and feel ready to tackle those 20 pounds as well as the binge eating.

I looked into low carbing again, but now I'm a vegetarian and found that I tend to rely on dairy too much for protein since I like variety (and without dairy, variety is scant on a lowcarb diet). I also tried to go vegan but I tend to eat a lot of grains (good grains, but grains just the same) and can maintain but not lose weight. SBD seemed like the best of both worlds - it makes me cut down on the grains, even in Phase 2, but at the same time I don't have to rely on dairy products since I can eat beans. I also hope to try and go vegan again when I get to maintenance and I'll be able to add some grains and fruit back.

Anyway, I started today and so far I'm doing great and liking it a lot. I'm looking forward to getting some support, since I know that will be a big help!

Tam

Pearlrose
01-01-2008, 07:22 PM
gonnabe165 I am with you- I can feel the sugar going out of my system and detoxing going- I am feeling better by the minute

Schmoodle
01-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Day 1 of Ph1 wasn't so bad. It was a relief really to get back to normal. Hopefully tomorrow won't be bad either. For some reason I was expecting Ph1 to be harder this time around.
Anyway, lesszmore, to answer your question, lots of mornings when I don't feel like eggs, I eat dinner leftovers, turkey and cheese rolled up, soup, or beans with salsa and lowfat cheese. When I get tired of scrambled or omelets, I also make hardboiled or make up some deviled eggs for a change. Once you get over the idea of traditional breakfast foods, you'll come up with all kinds of ideas!
phxsunflower, I make my cocoa like cottage does, and i prefer it because I like my chocolate stuff darker and less sweet. You can also use the flavored syrups as the sweetener.

38withfreckles
01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi, I'm just surfing around, trying to decide which diet to try this year. I started going to a gym back in August, and I only lost 5 pounds by November. I went to the gym 3 times a week, but I didn't change my eating habits. I see now that I need to make a change. I've got about 30 pounds I'd like to lose.

My birthday is on the 6th, and I know I will eat birthday cake - life's too short. I decided to start the very next day!

I'm not very good at doing the moderation thing, so WW wouldn't be a good choice for me. I think I will try South Beach...I am a former Atkins dieter.

Just dropping in to say hi!

phxsunflower
01-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks cottage and schmoodle. It is swiss miss nsa cocoa mix. Mom got it for me. I thought while I was typing it in that there was alot of extras in the ingredients section.:eek: Since you ladies did such a good job on answering that question can you answer how long is a can of cocoa(baking) good for? It has never been opened and I figured it would eventually be needed should I say a prayer and try it or just toss it and go with out. It is been in the cabinet for a feeeeww years. I want to make phase 1 happen. Also I was wondering what is the difference between a blog and a journal? One of the goals for 08' is to get more computer smarts.

D flip
01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello hello hello, everyone! Hope your holidays went well! Mine were great but I completely fell off the healthy eating wagon, went from P1 to H-E-double hockey sticks with the first bite of Xmas goodies.

So here I am, back on P1. Day 1 is almost over, and I have absolutely zero cravings! :carrot: I will definitely be checking in here to keep myself on track.

Here's my menu:

BREAKFASTS
Savory ricotta muffins
Quiche cups to go
turkey bacon
hardboiled eggs
(not all at once LOL)

LUNCHES
I usually do leftovers of dinner, but I'll also throw in some salads here and there

DINNERS
Chicken Divan (finally going to try the recipe out)
Eggplant and turkey sausage lasagna
Shrimp stir-fry
Roast chicken (breasts for me, the rest for hubby)
Tilapia, probably baked
Lentil soup
Turkey burgers without buns (really just mini-meatloaf in patty form)
Roasted brussels sprouts
Roasted asparagus
Something with cauliflower - I have two huge heads in the fridge!

Schmoodle
01-01-2008, 10:02 PM
phxsunflower, i don't know for sure, but I think cocoa must last a long time. Also, I don't think it would make you sick, but you'd be able to tell because it would start to taste off/rancid - there are some natural fats in there. If it's never been opened I would try.

Okay, I just googled it, and it seems you can keep it indefinitely if stored in an airtight container. I started thinking maybe I shouldn't advise you without really knowing... So sample at your own risk!

SkinnyDogMom
01-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Hello everyone, DH and I had an excellent first day back on the beach. I had to work 0700-1500, so for me it was pretty easy. I did get one of those awful headaches about 2pm. I recall those happening during the first few days to a week of SBD.
B-fast: Boiled egg with a small slice of cheddar cheese and Iced Tea
snack: celery with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
Lunch: left over pork loin and veggy salad
snack: piece of luncheon meat with cheese and a V-8 juice
Dinner: Spinach souffle stuffed chicken breast and salad
desert: pistachio FF pudding

DH made the recipe for the spinach souffle stuffed chicken from the SBD recipe book. (not the original SBD book, but the orangish/amber colored SB recipe book) It was quite yummy and easy to prepare. It has a nice lemon hint to the sauce.
I drink lots of Iced Tea, brewed at home with no additives and iced water. DH cut his normal pot of coffee down to 2 cups yesterday and he drinks lots of water.
Good luck everyone and thanks for the menus, it helps me with ideas.
Karla

little chick
01-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Skinnydogmom- your day sounded great, just a bit of bad news, you can not have sf pudding on ph 1 as it has cornstartch. Other than that your day sounded great.

Me- I start today.

cottagebythesea
01-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Today is Day 1 for me. My meals and snacks are all planned out to keep me on track. The hardest part for me will be drinking enough water, but I'm keeping a bottle beside me at all times to sip from.

B. spinach, mushroom and FF feta quiche
S. celery and red peppers with hummus
L. spinach salad w/pinto beans, tomato and roasted red pepper soup
S. string cheese
D. pork & pepper salad
S. SF jello w/2 T. ff Cool Whip

GONNABE165
01-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Phase 1 day 2 is looking like this for me

bfast - black bean & cheese egg beatr omelet
snak - 2 lettuce turkey cheese roll ups
lunch - beef & beans (we will call it chili)
snak - celery w/nat peanut butter
dinner - taco bake

Gonna get some lunch time cardio done and then a low impact workout this evening with dh while the taco bake is in the oven

Hope phase 1 is working great for you!!

phxsunflower
01-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Day 1 of phase 1 came and went and I made it through!!!!!! :carrot: Day 2 is here so bring it on.:club: Western omelet for breakfast and a cup of cocoa. Snack and lunch will be packed (don't know what yet) for the shopping trip, and a roast in the crockpot for dinner. Made some sf jello yesterday so hopefully that will be dessert:T(if the kids don't get to it first!) Off to get the day going.:spin:

Lindy87
01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Restarting phase 1 today. Feels great to be on the journey back to better health once again. Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Schmoodle
01-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Day 2 of Ph1!
B - veggie cheese omelet, V8, coffee
S - string cheese
L - turkey and cheese salad, 3 Bean Salad
S - latte, celery and peanut butter
D - Mediterranean Chicken, Eggplant Bolognese
S - fudgesicle

Spinach souffle sounds yummy, must try that sometime. Is it posted in the recipes here?

cottagebythesea
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Schmoodle, Stouffer's makes a spinach souffle that is acceptable for Phase 1, but in the SouthBeach cookbook, there's a great recipe for the Spinach Souffle Stuffed Chicken. It's easy to make, I make it often, and it's absolutely delicious!

phxsunflower
01-02-2008, 09:53 AM
hi again,
I am full of questions this time around. Do you know what is the easiest lettuce to work with when making lettuce wraps. I usually use the romaine salad torn up already in the bag and just use my fingers to combine lettuce and meat but I would really like to try a neater roll. If romaine is the lettuce to use I will look into getting it in bundles instead of the bags. Is farina sb? I know it wouldn't be phase 1 but would it be phase 2? I wanted to try the eggplant lasagna do you know how many I need to buy to make one batch? I really don't want to over buy since money is tight right now and it is a new recipe for us. Eggplant is a new vege for us also. Also what is a good fish to try for someone that has NEVER cooked fish and really is not a fish person but would like to get it into my diet?
Schmoodle and Cottage: thanks for the cocoa recipe. I need to find the hazelnut syrup now.:drool: Schmoodle the cocoa worked;) :thanks:
Boy the questions just start when the kids sleep in, but really I need to get my day started or I will be late.

Kim_Star060404
01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone. D1 is over and it did not go well. I was cooking dinner last night and went to grab a big pot off of the stove and got so light-headed that I almost passed out. DH took care of dinner for me and made me eat a Luna bar. We've talked about it and I really don't think that P1 is right for me. I'm going to follow P1 to the law except for one Luna bar pre-workout. I think it is really more important for me to maintain a workout schedule than to go through P1.

A sample menu for me is:

B: 2 eggs scrambled with spinach, 1 small can V8, 2 slices turkey bacon
S: 1/2 c vanilla flavored yogurt (sweetened w/ Splenda)
L: Salad greens with sliced deli turkey, FF shredded mozzarella, homemade vinaigrette dressing
S: String cheese and celery
Pre-workout snack: Luna bar
D: Meatball Casserole, Mashed Cauliflower, Salad
D: SF Fudgesicle (melted)

Schmoodle
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi Sunflower, relieved to hear the cocoa didn't kill ya! I'd hate to be passing out bad advice!
I usually get two decent sized eggplants to do a lasagna. If they're small, maybe three. Also, I cook the slices on the grill or under the broiler first to keep the lasagna from getting too runny.
The romaine works well for wraps because the leaves are long and flexible. Also the boston bibb works great for smaller wraps, but I don't get it often because it's expensive and the romaine is always on sale. The bibb is kind of cup-shaped, so it's good for things that are kind of runny. The red leaf and green leaf work well too, but the iceberg tends to be a little stiff for rolling and also is not as good for you as the darker greens. Oh, and spinach works too, the regular, not the baby. I looove rolling things up in lettuce. My faves are tomato, turkey bacon, avocado and a little mayo, egg salad, or chicken salad.
For the fish, tilapia is easy to find, goes on sale often, and has a very mild flavor. Flounder is also mild tasting. If you don't mind fish that tastes like fish, my favorites are salmon and tuna. I also love rockfish and bluefish, but don't know if you could get these where you are. The blue is a very fishy tasting fish, but I love that. These are more expensive, so they are treats for me.
Don't know the answer about the farina!

Yum, cottage, I love spinach, but I've never tried this. I will definitely put it on the plan. I stocked up on frozen spinach recently.

Schmoodle
01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi Kim, LOL look how much our day's menu looks alike! Great minds think alike!

atxgirl
01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
so yesterday was:
breakfast- 2 scrambled eggs and 2 turkey sausages with water to drink
snack was 1 cup broccoli and cauliflower with SB ranch maybe 2tbs?
lunch was 2 quiche cups with spinach, mushroom and onion and hot tea
dinner was beef and bean chili with LF cheese and LF sour cream
snack was a NS added fudgepop
I had water and 1 diet coke with splenda
Does this look ok? Am I over or under on anything?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!

Schmoodle
01-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi atxgirl, I don't believe we've met. I looked at your menu and I definitely don't think you're over. Depending on amounts, you may be under, but just make sure you eat if you're hungry. You can have a snack in the afternoon if you want. I would also say more veggies. It looks like about 1 1/2 to 2 cups, and you want to get in 4 1/2 cups of veggies. It is a lot and if you're not used to it, you may have to work up to it. That's what I did and it still is a challenge for me. but it makes a huge difference. Unless the chili was full of veggies - maybe it's more than it looks? Here's how I will get there today - my breakfast omelet was full of veggies. I drank a cup of V8. For lunch I had spinach salad topped with 1/2 cup of bean salad. My afternoon snack will be celery with peanut butter, and dinner is chicken with more veggies and stewed eggplant. Hope this helps.

SkinnyDogMom
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Schmoodle-the recipe for spinach souffle stuffed chicken is on this website. It is under recipes, then phase 1 recipes and I did a search for Souffle stuffed Chicken.
If you have the SBD cookbook, it is on page 226.
It was delicious and 1 serving was very filling. We paired it with a veggy salad. It was easy and quick to make as well.
Karla

atxgirl
01-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Schmoodle, thanks for the feedback and yes I guess I will need to work up to it! I did forget that I had celery sticks with natural peanut butter at breakfast. So thats one more serving of veggies. The chili had onions, garlic and green chilies, none of which I normally put down as "veggie consumption" but there was A LOT in there, LOL.
I feel amazing today! I have my bridal hair run through this afternoon so I am leaving work early and cannot wait to get a big iced tea on the way!

My one question before I go put lemon in it - is lemon ok to have on phase 1? I have seen lemon just listed on recipes but thought phase 1 was strictly no fruit.

Schmoodle
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks, skinnydogmom!
atx, lemon juice is on the current Phase I foods list, under condiments.:shrug:
So enjoy your tea, and good luck on the hair!

dbz
01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
today's my day one since the in-laws had a belated Christmas dinner at their house last night and her gravy is the best part of her menu so I couldn't very well turn down mashed potatoes or stuffing, could I?

:D

started off with a half-hour on the elliptical (gotta start slow again and keep my heartrate in the target area), 2 hard-boiled eggs and an 8oz glass of V8, morning snack was a string cheese, lunch was a salad with cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm and artichoke hearts (balsamic/oil dressing) and 10 crispy pepperoni, afternoon snack will be celery & cherry tomatoes with about 1/4 cup of hummus, dinner is the garlic-butter tilapia recipe in the recipes section with SB surprise mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts with pancetta. And of course I will have a S/F fudgesicle for dessert ... of course!

surprising how easy it is to get back in the swing of things

Schmoodle
01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Why am I being tested like this? We just received from my DH's aunt a giant box of assorted Lindt chocolates. My entire family is in the kitchen right now sampling them. I made some nsa hot chocolate and came to hide out in the office with the chicks.

GONNABE165
01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I thought the holidays and the gift giving was over :devil: - I just received a delivery from a customer & guess what it is chocolate lots of chocolate. Sooooo not phase 1 friendly.... in the trash it will go.

phxsunflower
01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Schmoodle and Gonnabe What will power you have!

I think I am getting the veges needed. For breakfast I had a mushroom, onion,cheese 2 egg omelet topped with homemade salsa, and a cup of hot cocoa(homemade not from package!) For lunch I had a 6 inch vege sub with oil and vinegar topping left the bread. Afternoon snack was celery and natural pb. Dinner was what we call machca.(trimmed round steak in the crockpot with green chilis, onion, tomatoes, and garlic.) Placed on a bed of lettuce(1/2 of a bag of romaine) topped with refried beans, gaucamole, lite sour cream and 2% shreded cheese and homemade salsa. And dessert will be sf jello and 2 tbs. of lite coolwhip.

I made it through day 2, am I doing it right?:shrug: I seem to be ok with it. I had 4 glasses of water(about 16 oz ea) and 1 diet soda with lunch.

Shopping went great. DS1 got 2 shirts,DD1 got 2 new tank tops,4 Italian charms, 4 lip glosses, DD2 got shoes, skort from gymboree,5 Italian charms,lotion and bath gel with a foamy,(lotion, fragance splash to share with DD1)and I got a new winter canvas bag to carry my stuff to school, and 3 Italian charms all for $78. I thought that was pretty good.

weigh in was o.k. The doctor was pleased. I lost 30 lbs since September 10.The blood pressure was down so there will be no medicines for that:woohoo: I need to go back in June for another weigh in and blood work. At least this time the weigh in isn't right after a holiday and there is a longer time inbetween visits. How come I still feel like the 30 lb heavier person? I keep telling myself it is because I want to lose more.

Well I guess I am done for tonight I told you I would be on thread alot during the 2 weeks!:blah::blah::blah:

Schmoodle
01-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Hi phx! I usually have zero will power. I think right now I'm just sick of eating bad stuff from Christmas. But usually I have to make the house a safe zone, or eventually I WILL eat whatever in a moment of weakness. Especially if whatever is chocolate, and it's TOM (sorry, Tom). Sounds like you're doing great, and your dinner sounds delish. Wanna share the recipe?
I love the January shopping! I'm dying to get out to the stores again.
congrats on the good checkup!
kudoes to you Gonnabe!
Sounds like a great day one, sbz.

Let's see, I think I'll have egg salad wraps for breakfast, with coffee and V8.
Lunch will be rutabaga soup (a kind of yucky experiment, but I need to eat it) and roasted veggies. Maybe some beans to round things out.
Snacks - celery with LCLC, string cheese, and a latte.
Dinner - Taco Bake and Salad!:carrot:
Topped off with a fudgesicle.

cottagebythesea
01-03-2008, 06:57 AM
You have me hungry for Taco Bake now. I have time to make one before work this morning, so I can have some for lunch. :)
Day 1 went great and I'm ready for Day 2!

B. spinach, mushroom and ff feta quiche
S. red pepper strips and hummus
L. Taco Bake over mixed greens
S. celery and string cheese
D. Leftover pork & pepper salad
S. SF jello w/2 T. ff Cool Whip

GONNABE165
01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Phase 1 day 3 and I am feeling great!

bfast - l/o taco bake & eggs
snak - mozz cheesestick
lunch - shrimp salad & jello
snak - 2 lettuce ham & cheese wraps
dinner - baked talapia & mixed veggies
snak - fudgecicle

PHX glad your doc visit was successful. Keep up the great work

phxsunflower
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Hello all,
Day 3 of phase 1 and I seem to be making it.
Food plan for today:Breakfast-leftovers from last night(just in the mood) Lunch:egg salad on lettuce,dill pickles and some broccoli florets. Dinner chicken grilled and zucchini steamed with tomatoes,onions,mushrooms,and garlic. Snack will be celery with hummus(going to give it a try) and if needed cheese stick with almonds.
I haven't got to the plain yogurt yet. I like the vanilla but have not made it to the plain.
I have gotten my 3 miles in already this morning I need to find other ways of moving during the winter that cost is not involved that would count as exercise. Shoveling snow will not be an option for me(Thank Goodness)!!! I like my shorts!!! I haven't gotten to the library to see if there is an exercise dvd I would like but the library around us really doesn't have great dvd selections. I don't have a bike and I can't use indoor pools. Does that sound like procrastion or what!?!?
Well I am going to get my breakfast since the kids are waking up so I can make some noise!

Schmoodle
01-03-2008, 10:07 AM
sunflower, I'm not a big fan of plain yogurt either, but if you can get the 0% or lowfat Greek yogurt (Fage brand is my favorite), it's a completely different animal. It's creamier, thicker, and tastes less sour to me. I have no trouble eating it plain. Trader Joe's carries it, and also some grocery stores.

Kim_Star060404
01-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Still following a pretty strict P1 for everything I eat besides my pre-workout snack. That really seems to be working great and is allowing me to workout for a full 4 miles. Today I took it easy with only 2 miles, so I think I'll skip the Luna bar for today and do P1 only.

GONNABE165
01-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I can't get into the plain yogurt thing either and I have tried many different brands I guess it's just not for everyone.

Glad to see everyone is having a successful go at phase 1 this new year. Keep up the great work!

Diva
01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Lemme ask y'all a quick question. I saw Dixie over in TBL forum saying she's on day 3 of Phase 1 and is having the Sb Flu. What's that all about? Is it like Atkins induction sickness? What happens to ya?

Thanks!

Schmoodle
01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, not everybody gets it, and those that do to varying degrees. I didn't have it at all the first time around. This time I'm a little sick today (day 3 for me too). It's a general yuckiness during the "detox" that can be headache, flu-like feelings, dizziness, etc. It only lasts a day or too and isn't debilitating. It is said that eating beans and making sure to get your dairy servings in helps a lot.

Diva
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Cool, ty. :)

I haven't started yet, still waiitng on the book but I am trying to watch my carbs and calories and exercising, though I don't feel like exercise today as I am sleeepy.

also, I am Type 2 diabetic taking the metformin, will this be a safe diet for me? Do any of you have have Type 2 like me?

SkinnyDogMom
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Hmmm, SB flu, maybe that is what I am dealing with yesterday and today. My headache started on day 1 in the late afternoon. I thought it was just the shock to my body with lack of carbs. The headache worsened through the night and kept me in bed most of yesterday. I was nauseated so I couldn't eat anything until about 2pm. I stayed on plan, but ate very little yesterday. Last night the headache was horrific. I still have a bit right now, but it is much better. I am still nauseated and haven't yet eaten anything today, but I am heading to the kitchen to find something. I have to work today at 3pm, so I have to eat something for energy. Other than that, ph 1 is going well. I told DH that ff/sf pudding has to wait for ph 2, we had forgotten that. He loves his pudding. I suppose I'll stop by the grocery on the way home tonight and pick up ff/sf fudgesickles for his sweet tooth.
Best wishes to all, I so enjoy reading everyone's posts. It gives me ideas for our menus.
Karla

Kim_Star060404
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Diva: I'm not sure what the Atkins induction sickness is, but it's probably close to the same thing. Not being used to the lack of carbs, our bodies react with flu-like symptoms. Typically headaches, aches, lethargy and sometimes nauseousness and light-headedness. It's not really that big of a deal, but I don't think it's advisable to do a hard workout, etc. on days when a person is feeling this way. For some reason it always seems to set in on Day 3 and is usually gone by Day 5, if not sooner.

Of course, I have no medical proof to back this up, but it is a common occurrence among Sbers!

GONNABE165
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I have a phase 1 question

are any of the sf starbucks syrup drinks allowed?

SkinnyDogMom
01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
SB flu is probably the wrong term to use. This thought just crossed my mind. The flu is caused by viruses. This feeling yucky is not a virus. Unless of course you have contracted a virus at the same time. Anyway, I don't know a better term for it. Just my medical mind at work.
Everyone should remember to get their annual flu shot!
Karla

Schmoodle
01-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Gonnabe, you can have the drinks made with sf syrup. Just ask them which they have sugar free if it's not on the board. Also, if you're getting a latte, ask for skim milk, and skip the whipped cream. This is one of my favorite treats, but usually I make it at home - too cheap to pay their prices very often!

Diva, my DH is a type 2 diabetic and he does very well on this WOE with me. He doesn't follow it strictly, but I am the cook, so he eats what I eat. His blood sugar levels are never better than when we are on SB. I think some of the other chicks are also diabetic, so maybe they will chime in. But I think in general, this is a very healthy WOE for diabetics.

Karla, you're right, we're not talking about the flu, technically, just flu-like symptoms. Maybe carb or sugar "detox" would be better. My brother used to go out drinking on Saturday nights when we were teens/young adults. He didn't handle alcohol well, and was always sick on Sunday mornings. My mom called that the "Sunday Morning Flu" LOL

GONNABE165
01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Schmoodle thank you for the reply. How do you make them at home?

Karla when I first did phase 1 in may I had a day or 2 of the "flu" but this go around I feel awesome

dbz
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
if you're a fan of reese's and all things chocolate & peanut butter, let me introduce you to my favorite P1 dessert: one fudgesicle and 2 Tb of natural peanut butter (requires that you have not had any nut servings for the day but it's totally worth the wait). Nuke the fudgesicle for long enough to get it off the stick (my microwave is 8 seconds), mix in the peanut butter very well and eat small bites because you will want it to last as long as possible

GONNABE165
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
dbz thats what they call the peanut butter cup in the recipe section (add cool whip) and yes it is to die for

dbz
01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
dbz thats what they call the peanut butter cup in the recipe section (add cool whip) and yes it is to die for

I was just looking through the dessert section after I posted that and saw so many variations but what really made my head turn was the recipe for the crustless PB silk pie?!?!? Say wha??? I think I see some "baking" in my future!

GONNABE165
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
dbz i tried the silk pie and I loved it - def worth a try

Schmoodle
01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Gonnabe, I mix up about 1 part skim milk to 1 part strong coffee and 1 Tbsp sugar free flavored syrup, and microwave. I sometimes use instant coffee. Also, if I'm out of syrup, you can use a few drops of extract and splenda. A cinnamon stick in there is good too. For my 50 lbs. lost reward, I'm going to get a toddy and then I'll have the coffee concentrate whenever I want it.

GONNABE165
01-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks Schmoodle that sounds easy enough for me to do

Heres to you reaching 50lbs gone and getting your toddy :coffee:

Barb0522
01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Atkins calls their "flu" ketosis and it is from restricting carbs too much. In South Beach you should never go into ketosis. The best way to minimize or eliminate the "yucky" feeling is by eating lots of healthy carbs. Drink milk and eat yogurt (per the guidelines) and gets lots of carbs through healthy vegetables. Foods such as the Taco Bake that have beans in them will really help. If you get the healthy carbs you should feel much better. Remember that you should be getting 4 1/2 cups of vegetables a day anyway so just make sure some are things like beans.

Schmoodle
01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh, I didn't realize it had anything to do with ketosis! Thanks for explaining that Barb.

Diva
01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Thank you Barb for the Flu answer and Schmoodle thank you for the reply about the diabetes.:hug:

cottagebythesea
01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
This is the 4th time I've gone through Phase 1, and I've never experienced any of the SB flu symptoms. I do make sure I get plenty of dairy (I use lots of skim milk in my coffee and tea), and try to eat beans of some form every day, so I'm convinced that it helps. Tomorrow will be Day 3 for me, so it will be interesting to see how I feel this time around.

phxsunflower
01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
well day 3 is coming to an end FINALLY.. Not suffering from ketosis or the flu or anything like that. I just would really like to have one of my mom's rolls with honey on it. :T Work through the craving right. I tried hummus today. It was not bad. I had it with celery and it was the 3 spicy pepper one. I thought it tasted like bean dip. This will be a keeper for snacks. I think I would like it on triscuits with some ham pieces for lunch. I am going to try the peanut butter,fudgesicle thing tonight to treat myself for making it through today. One question for today where do you find Agave nectar? Would think living in the southwest I would know this.

The kids are acting up and DH is trying to go to bed so better go now and will check in later.

Kim_Star060404
01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
phx: I get small bottles of Agave nectar from my local health foods store. They keep it by the honey and such. They are pretty darn expensive, though! I'm sure you can find it locally, but not sure where they'll keep it. If local Agave nectar doesn't pan out (or is over-the-top expensive), you can get it from Amazon, but you may have to buy in bulk. (Don't forget the 3FC Amazon link!!)

MellieInWI
01-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi ladies - can I join your group a few days late?

I'm new to this board as well as new to the SBD. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost about 30lbs, but gained it back over the course of having two kids. I'm giving SB a shot now because I think it's a lot more sustainable long term...I like carbs too much to switch to an Atkins lifestyle.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting meal ideas from everyone. I'm a relatively picky eater unfortunately (don't care for meat but I'll eat it, not a fan of eggs, hate seafood) so I need all the help I can get.

Here's what my day 2 menu was today:

B: 2 eggs, cheese and some turkey bacon
S: 1 piece string cheese
L: Cobb-type salad: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, blue cheese, LF ranch
S: Handful of almonds
D: Leftover pork loin with green beans

I didn't drink enough water today and I'm feeling a little bored. I am going to reread the SB book that I have to get some new ideas. Also, I made a lot of assumptions about what was allowed for the first two weeks and assumed it was like Atkins induction. Bad me.

Here's to a better day tomorrow!

38withfreckles
01-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi,
I noticed some of you reference eating Taco Bake....what is that? I am gearing up for a Monday/Tuesday starting date, and I need to get some menus planned. I don't plan very well, and I end up eating the prepackaged food that I have for lunchboxes. I've always said that I don't eat a large quantity; it is the quality of the food I eat. I eat garbage and follow it with a diet coke. I love Tex Mex, so Taco Bake caught my attention.

What are some basic things I need to have in my fridge? I live in a small town, so my local grocery store doesn't have a huge selection. I don't eat peppers or celery, and I am not a salad fan. I'm not a cheese, egg, or bacon fan either....I may be in trouble. What I love is pasta and bread. What on earth am I going to eat?

I'm in a panic b/c I want to start the right diet and not waste time doing the wrong one.

cinderly
01-04-2008, 02:13 AM
38withfreckles -- The Taco Bake (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38592) is a tasty PH 1 recipe you can find here at 3FC. I love it. I think I'd have it even if I wasn't SB-ing.

SB is a great plan. It's pretty easy to follow past Phase 1 (and Phase 1 isn't THAT bad.) Many of the recipes are wonderful and -- best of all -- it WORKS.

In other news, my official start was a non-starter, so I'm re-restarting tomorrow. Every day is a new chance to do well!

I didn't stick to my plan. I know better. We DID have an on-plan dinner tonight of roasted veggies and grilled chicken with garlic-soy glaze (glaze from the Soy Pork Loin in the Orange Book, p. 262.)

I did have the SB flu the very first time we tried the plan. We didn't eat enough non-salad veggies or enough allowable carbohydrates. We ate eggs, salad, and chicken, fish, or lean beef. (No wonder I hated it!)

The feeling will pass, but you can help things along by including more veggies and more fiber (beans are great for this.)

GONNABE165
01-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Good morning my phase 1 buddies. And a big WELCOME to the newbies joining us.

Friday is my normal weigh in and even though I have only been on phase 1 for3 days I weighed in at 198.6 - down .2 from last week

cottagebythesea
01-04-2008, 06:32 AM
:welcome3: MellieInWI and 38withfreckles! It's nice to have you both on board. :) Check out our stickies in the FAQ section for the latest updates and revised Food Lists, and some great ideas and suggestions. We have some wonderful recipes for all phases in our recipe section, too!

cottagebythesea
01-04-2008, 06:36 AM
It's Day 3, Phase 1 for me today, and I'm feeling fantastic!

B. spinach, mushroom and ff feta quiche (I know, again! But it's delicious and I made so much!)
S. raw veggies w/hummus
L. Taco Bake
S. string cheese and celery
D. Chicken Divan, green beans
S. sf jello w/ 2 T. ff Cool Whip

GONNABE165
01-04-2008, 06:39 AM
My day looks like this.....

b-broccoli & cheese egg beater omelet
s-celery w/npb
l-chicken salad & coke zero
s-cottge cheese & slice tomato
d-cheeseburger no bun lettuce tomato onion
s-fudgecicle

little chick
01-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Welcome to all the Newbies...
Starting day 3 today. So far so good. Not feeling to badly hope I don't get a headace today.
Really want to jump on the scales but trying to avoid them. With TOM just days away and already having crampings and bloating and a achy lower back I really don't want to be disappointed. Today need to get more veggies in. Have a great day chicks and keep up the good work.
Heres to looking great in 2008 ( I stole that phrase :lol: )

Schmoodle
01-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Good morning chicks, Day 3 down and on to Day 4. I think I feel better this morning, but it's still a little early to tell. :coffee2: More cawfee, please! I really want some taco bake for breakfast. Is that wrong? There's two portions left, so that would mean I could have it for breakfast AND lunch and DH will just have to find something else!:) He had three portions last night to my one, so I think I'm due! Last night was rough, I really wanted some of that chocolate. But DD saved me, she had a top to return to Kohl's, and by the time we got back, it was bedtime and I was okay. Plus, looking at all the clothes was a good reminder that I don't want to end up back where I started! By the way, they are having a killer sale. The Vera Wang top I got her for Christmas, that was $40, is now $8, so she was able to get a bunch of stuff.
cottage, I eat beans every day and drink a latte and usually a cocoa too, with milk in my morning coffee, and I didn't ever feel bad the first time through Ph1, but I sure did yesterday!
sunflower, that's where I get my agave nectar too. I looked at it on Amazon, but it wasn't much cheaper than the health food store.
:welcome: Mellie and 38! Definitely read the book and the FAQs and stickies here. And experiment, experiment, experiment! Try lots of different recipes (I've gotten some great ones here), and foods you've never tried. What about deviled eggs for breakfast? I do that all the time. The taco bake is in the Ph1 entrees along with lots of other great ideas. The things I keep around as staples include - natural peanut butter, all kinds of nuts, Fage Greek yogurt, fudgesicles, turkey bacon and sausage, Laughing Cow Light Cheese, canned beans of all kinds, canned tuna in water, string cheese, lots of frozen and fresh veggies!
Hi cinderly and gonnabe!
Ooh, cottage, you get the chicken divan tonight, you lucky girl! It's divine! I've got it planned for the end of Ph1, as my reward.
Hi lc, glad you are feeling better. Definitely stay away from that evil scale for now. How about feeling great in 2008?

Here's my day:
B - Taco Bake, V8, coffee
S - hardboiled egg
L - Taco Bake:D, salad
S - latte, pb and celery
D - ????
S - fudgesicle

Tonight is pizza night at grandma's and I'd planned to make an eggplant pizza for me, but I accidentally used my eggplants earlier this week, so I'll have to come up with something else.

little chick
01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I am totally depressed, I just took my measurments and I have gained so many inches since July..... I will not let it depress me, I will not let it depress me, I will not let it .......... Grr I am so mad at myself, no wonder my clothes are tight.

phxsunflower
01-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Good morning all,:yawn:
I seem to be dragging a bit this morning. I could be because I didn't make it to bed on time last night? I wish my body alarm would let me sleep in sometimes. The day has started off well, I have gotten the walk in and dishes started. I have dinner planned and that is about it. Grilled pork loin chops with potatoes for the family and zucchini for me. I didn't have eggs yesterday so I will probably have them for breakfast and left over dinner for lunch. Day 4 I should have planned better. Next week it is back to life so by Sunday I will have to be planned for the week. Off to get a cup of cocoa.

MellieInWI
01-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

So I have a question about phase one weight loss. I'm on day three and I couldn't help but jump on the scale this morning. I am down 3lbs. Is it normal to lose weight that quickly, or could this just be water weight loss?

Where is the recipe for this feta/spinach quiche I keep reading about? It sounds wonderful - I love feta.

I'm also going to try making a "cheesecake" recipe I found in the non-egg breakfast thread. Might be a good change from the eggs!

I'm at home with the kiddos today so I'll post my food log at the end of the night.

Thanks again everyone!

Schmoodle
01-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Mellie, it's likely at least some of that weight is water, but it's still weight, right? Lots of people lose a bunch on Ph1. I "only" lost 5 lbs during Ph1, but it depends on what you were eating before, how much you have to lose, etc. At any rate, it's always a big boost to see those numbers go down. Just remember things will probably even out and you'll settle into a steady rate of loss. Anyway, congrats! :carrot:
By the way, the breakfast cheesecake is wonderful! thanks for the reminder, I may make that for next week.
Good morning to you, phx!

Piper129
01-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi, I just started today! Phase 1 Day 1 for me! So far, so good, although it is still early here :) I am nervous that I am not going to be able to do this, but I have put some thought and planning into it, so I hope that helps.

Lucky me, I get to bake and frost several dozen sugar cookies this afternoon- yikes! I agreed a while back to make them for a bake sale, so I need to do it. Nothing like breaking in the SB will power!

38withfreckles
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the welcoming posts! I will check out the sticky notes and jot down some recipes before I go to the store for the big SB shopping trip. I hope I can continue to eat some of my regular meals: roast (skip the potatoes & carrots), fajitas with no tortillas, and pesto chicken. I can have whipping cream or half n half, can't I?

I think it will be helpful to post a 'food confession' each day to make me accountable. I'm looking forward to it!

MellieInWI
01-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi, I just started today! Phase 1 Day 1 for me! So far, so good, although it is still early here :) I am nervous that I am not going to be able to do this, but I have put some thought and planning into it, so I hope that helps.

Lucky me, I get to bake and frost several dozen sugar cookies this afternoon- yikes! I agreed a while back to make them for a bake sale, so I need to do it. Nothing like breaking in the SB will power!

You know what else is hard? Feeding your son frosted animal cookies in the backseat of the car and having the delicious smell waft up into your nose. I was pretty much drooling into the package, but I felt so great that I didn't give into my desire!! You will too!

Pearlrose
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Day four here, been doing good so far, but I am hungry today but I only had some cottage cheese and v8 for breakfast and some celery and llc for snack. I am afraid to get on the scale because TOM is coming so I think I will wait a few days so I do not get disappointed when I get on.

SkinnyDogMom
01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Day 4 here, headache is finally gone now. It started day 1 in the late afternoon and worsened day 2, lingered day 3 with some parts of the day with bad H/A and other parts of the day with tolerable H/A, even into last night. I am a "headachy" person anyway, so once I get one, it usually hits me hard.
Day 3 went well. nothing exciting on the menu, just leftovers of the spinach souffle stuffed chicken and salad at dinner.
Day 4- I just had a big salad-loads of veggys, a bit of cheese, 1 boiled egg and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. We are going to try the taco bake recipe tonight, DH wants beef tonight and we both love Mexican food. He is from San Antonio and thinks salsa or pico makes everything better!
I'm headed to the recipe section to print off a few recipes.
Thanks to everyone for sharing their menus. It gives us new options to try.
Have a great day everyone!
Karla

Pearlrose
01-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I made the Taco Bake for the first time last night for dinner and it was great- just had some tortillas for the rest of the family, but I loved it- just took out stuff I don't like from the recipe but it still tasted great.

phxsunflower
01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
schmoodle-I don't know how to post the recipe:^: unless I just do it on this screen.:shrug: I am nowhere near a computer whiz! I just figured out how to get the smilies all the time

cottagebythesea
01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Mellie, the spinach/feta quiche is just a recipe I came up with in my head, it's not posted anyplace. I put 6 or 7 eggs in the blender, add a carton of ff crumbled feta and about 1/2 cup lf cheese blend, and whirl it for a couple of minutes. In the meantime, I spray a large frying pan with PAM, and saute some chopped onion, garlic and sliced mushrooms until soft, then add a large package of baby spinach and saute it all until it cooks down. Then I spray a pie pan with PAM and spread the spinach mixture in it and top it with the egg mixture. I baked it for almost an hour at 400*, and that was it. It made 6 servings, and it's really yummy and satisfying.

38withFreckles, you can have fat free 1/2 & 1/2, but sorry, no whipping cream. If you whip canned fat free evaporated milk, though, it will thicken up just like the real thing. You can even sweeten it with splenda if you like.

I'm at the end of Day 3 and feeling terrific! No "flu" symptoms here!

pamatga
01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Although I was losing weight with WW Flex Point Plan I found that left to my own devices a lot of carbs (good only!) was creeping in and it looked like I was almost a vegetarian (shock to me!). After studying several diet plans before the holidays I decided to follow a modified Phase 2 while I gathered all the stuff for Phase 1. I decided against making cookies this year.

I am on my 4th day of Phase 1. Here is today's food choices. If anyone wants to critique it go ahead. I have already goofed a little by having 10 more nuts a couple of times (I reread the updated version of the Plan again this morning) than I should have but otherwise I'm doing well.

Fri 1/4

Breakfast:

2 eggs fried in canola oil
leftover pork steak
10 oz skim milk
V-8 juice (1/2 c serving vegetables)

Midmorning Snack:

string cheese
sugar free Jello cup

Lunch:

Chef Salad (see above)

Midafternoon Snack:

sugar free French Vanilla de caf coffee

Supper:

chicken chow mein (2 c. vegetables)

Snack:

nuts-count out 15
sugar free Jello cup
10 oz. skim milk

I had lost 17 lbs since September on WW and I have lost 2 lbs since January 1 on this Phase One.

cottagebythesea
01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
:welcome3: to the Beach, pamatga! Your meal plan looks pretty good to me, just make sure you're getting at least 4 1/2 cups of veggies in each day, and go easy on those nuts! ;)

MellieInWI
01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Alright - day 3 is almost over and I made it with no cheating.

B: 2 egg and feta omelet with 2 pieces of turkey bacon, v8
S: coffee with sugar free vanilla syrup and a tiny bit of skim milk
L: 4 deviled egg halfs (two eggs), 10 black olives
S: 1 string cheese
D: undecided at this point - probably some celery and dip, i'm not that hungry

Question - how often do you all weigh yourselves?

little chick
01-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Well just when I thought that I would not get the SBD flu, I am battling a wicked headache. Almost blinding. But I will not give in. My good friend is coming tomorrow to spend the day with me, we are going shopping. Well she is shopping I am tagging along. I spent far to much money last week end. Plus I need to start saving for my Jamiaca trip. Anyhoo. She is eating healthy as well so we are going to go for a salad lunch, but I think I will have a big huge bean breakfast so I am really full before we go. Well I think I need to head to bed cuz the computer is making my head worse.

Geekgrl
01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting Phase 1 on Monday. I did 3 weeks of Phase 1 a few months ago and lost about 15 pounds, but then I fell apart and its all back, plus some. It's been a rough year, but its time to get it together again and get healthier for myself and my super energetic 3 year old daughter!

I'll be checking frequently!

Kristina

rvargas
01-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Hi girls,

I'm new to the SB craze. Thanx for the invite Mellie! This is my third day avoiding the evil carb. I did give in for a slice of toast, but not really beating myself up about it. I have been cutting carbs for a few weeks, but wasn't on a strict regiment til now. I got on the scale 2day for the first time in 2 weeks only to discover that i'd already lost 10 lbs. accidentally. Yeay me! :carrot:

Anyhow, so glad Mellie suggested this site as my co-worker and i are doing this together and need all the support we can get!

Good luck to everyone!

Rosa

pamatga
01-05-2008, 04:32 AM
As a gardener for many years in the past, I never used commercially prepared spaghetti sauce until I moved into an apartment so I never even knew spaghetti sauce even had sugar in it!

I prefer my tomato sauce to be really chunky with lots of garden "add-ins".

Now, that I am on Phase 1 and going totally sugar free (this is my 5th day) try this when you "crave" something Italian. To me, this was like eating the top of a really good pizza. It was easy to prepare, it was delicious and it was almost salt-free and definitely sugar free. I just made this up off the top of my head but I am definitely going to make it in the future.

1)cook 90/10 lean ground sirloin in olive oil in frying pan(if you use minimal oil you don't even have to drain the oil)
2)add medium can of diced chunky tomatoes (had tomatoes, water and salt)
3)add diced green peppers, onions and mushrooms ( I even used the pre diced from the freezer section of my Publix store)
4)add Italian seasonings: pre-blended or individual like oregano, basil, etc.

Cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. The tomatoes will cook down and get nice and thick.

Turn burner off and then place reduced fat cheese on top of the cooked meat/tomato mixture. Cover and let cheese melt.

Carefully, remove from pan onto plate. This was very very filling and it was very delicious. You can add other vegetables compatible with Italian cooking. I can see myself eating this as is without any pasta even in Phase 2. It was that good!

Bon appetite!

pamatga
01-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Thanks!

No, the veggies have not been a problem and I may have even had up to 6 cups per day. My DH has a congenital condition he and two of his siblings were born with called PKU and he has to eat a lot of vegetables as a protein source. On our first date, I made him dinner and when I turned my back to get something from the kitchen all the cooked vegetables I had on the table was on his plate! He looked up innocently and asked if I had wanted some! It was so sweet how he looked! I always tease him about leaving me some. Now, he asks but he loves it when I say "You can have the rest". Now, we might be in "competition" for them---especially cabbage, one of his favorites.

He "converted" me eight years ago and this part of the plan was actually the easiet for me.

I haven't been experiencing any physical symptoms like some of you are describing. I have been dieting for several months now so all the sugar withdrawal, etc. never was there very strong to begin with.

If you note in one of my earlier posts I mentioned that a rash I had has disappeared. I suspect it might mean I was having blood sugar spilling over into my urine. It has almost completely cleared up. I have read that this is one (of many) symptoms of diabetes. Since diabetes is very strong in both sides of my family, I feel that this will probably be my food plan for the rest of my life.

See my "psuedo pizza" recipe I threw together for supper last night.

I've been sugar free for the first four days and it hasn't bothered me.

Thanks for the tips!:hug:

MellieInWI
01-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi girls,

I'm new to the SB craze. Thanx for the invite Mellie! This is my third day avoiding the evil carb. I did give in for a slice of toast, but not really beating myself up about it. I have been cutting carbs for a few weeks, but wasn't on a strict regiment til now. I got on the scale 2day for the first time in 2 weeks only to discover that i'd already lost 10 lbs. accidentally. Yeay me! :carrot:

Anyhow, so glad Mellie suggested this site as my co-worker and i are doing this together and need all the support we can get!

Good luck to everyone!

Rosa

YIPPIE ROSA! So glad to see you around. Awesome work on the ten pounds!! I'm very proud of you!

GONNABE165
01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
:welcome: to all the newbies joining us.

Day 5 for me and I feel great :carrot:

Mellie to answer your question I weigh once a week and thats on Friday mornings around 5:30am - it makes for a more consistant #

b - scramble egg beaters & boca patty with hot cocoa
s - turkey, cheese & lettuce roll ups
l - grilled sirloin patty over lettuce,tomato & onion
s - ham, cheese & lettuce roll up
d - eggplant parm
s - peanut butter cup shake (from phase 1 recipes)

Schmoodle
01-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Morning Ph1 chickies, we have made it this far! Day 5 for me, and the headache went away yesterday. I feel great this morning. All of you that are not feeling well, eat some beans and milk, and I hope you are through it soon!
Welcome to the beach Kristina, bellaluna, and Rosa.
Thanks for the recipes, cottage and pamatga. You guys are keeping me busy scribbling all this down!
pamatga, my DH is a veggie monster too. MIL sure taught him well to eat his veg when he was a kid! If I cook a huge pan of veggies, thinking I'll have lunch leftovers, he will eat it all in one sitting. Now I hide some first so I get enough!
As for weighing, I try to do once a week, because I get a little obsessed. But I do sometimes take a peek here an there. I weigh on Saturday, just because it's the day I started SB. I took a look this morning and was relieved to see that my ticker is not lying. Soon it will start to go down again!

Today is shopping day, not much around here for food.
B - 2 hb eggs, V8, coffee
S - cocoa
L - Hebrew National fat free hot dog, roasted veggies, cheese
S - latte, celery and LCLC
D - Shrimp stir fry
S - Greek yogurt with almonds

rvargas
01-05-2008, 10:52 AM
i had no idea there was such an illness, but now it makes sense. I had a blinding headache that turned into a migraine on thursday. i couldn't explain it 'cause 4 the first time in a month i slept 6 hours which is unheard of for me. I was even going to look for an acupuncturist for relief since pills and massages weren't cutting it. The nausea was outta control and the pain was miserable until DH massaged my head...whew! This explains it.

SkinnyDogMom
01-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I made the Taco Bake last night. :bravo: DH and I both enjoyed the tastes so much. I added one other garnish-avacado chopped up. We used salsa verde-tomatillo based.
There will be NO leftovers!!! We both had some for b-fast.
Karla

cottagebythesea
01-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Day 4 for me and feeling terrific! Thanks for the avocado idea, SkinnyDogMom, I'm going to add a bit to my taco bake for lunch today. That should be really yummy! ;)
I had breakfast at Cracker Barrel this morning, and had no trouble staying OP. They have a lot of healthy options on their breakfast menu that are SB friendly. :)
Here's my menu plan for today -

B. 3 scrambled eggs, 2 turkey sausage patties, sliced tomatoes
S. FF Greek yogurt w/splash of DaVinci SF peanut butter syrup
L. Taco Bake
S. raw veggies w/hummus
D. leftover Chicken Divan, steamed cauliflower

cottagebythesea
01-05-2008, 11:46 AM
A BIG :welcome3: to all you Newbies! :)

phxsunflower
01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
:welcome2: to all the newcomers

Day five has started out well for my. Slept in until 6:45,went for a walk with the dog got to see a beautiful SW sunrise had an omelet for breakfast and a chat with all of you. Still looking forward to my cup of cocoa though. Mom gave me a small bottle of sf hazelnut syrup she was not using so will try that with my cocoa this morning. Lunch will be tuna salad and lettuce leaves with pickles. Dinner not sure yet. I had the week planned but when I went to make the plan DH would come up with I don't feel like that tonight. I really don't feel like making 2 dinners so I stay with the popular vote and still try to stay on plan. I want to try lasagna tonight so I guess 2 pans 1 reg for them and 1 eggplant for me. I will have lunches made for the week then huh. Snacks will be celery with lflc cheese or hummus and/or cheese stick and either pistachios or almonds. Dessert is sf jello if the kids don't get to it first otherwise it will be a fudgesicle. time to get off the DD2 want to play for her time.

Schmoodle
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
hi lilybell! Some of us post our food here, but it's up to you if you want to do it or not. For me, it just helps to take a minute in the morning and plan out the day's breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I always plan my dinners for the week before I go shopping. It's fun to read what other folks are eating! I don't know about the journals, I don't journal my food, but others may.

flutist4christ
01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi, everyone. Count me in as a newbie. I'm not new to the SBD - I've done this off and on for a while now. The first time I was on the diet, I lost about 40 pounds, but I've put about 20 back on. This time, I want to go all the way and lose 40 pounds again to bring me down to my goal weight.

I just started this morning and already had a headache (coming off the carbs) even though I've been dieting for a few weeks now. I've been watching what I eat, though I've been slipping this week. Weight loss has been very, very slow and I know I can do better than this.

Anyway, a little about me: I'm 38 and in Florida and while I want to lose weight and look fabulous, :-) I'm also trying to eat better for my health and to feel better (a bad diet increases my depression).

Looking forward to this weight loss journey with all of you.

GONNABE165
01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi flutist & welcome. What art of fla do you live in? I live in Jax - Go jags!
Yeah phase 1 can be tuffy but once your over the hump you will feel great. Good luck and I hope to see ya around.

flutist4christ
01-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi, Gonnabe! Thanks for the welcome. I'm in the Tampa area and lovin' our weather today. :-)

Yeah, getting over the hump is tough sometimes. I've done the Phase 1 a few times, so I don't stay on it for two weeks, though I may try to this time so I can jump start the weight loss. I need to go to the store either tonight or tomorrow after church - I pass by my favorite Publix on the way home and they have a better selection of foods.

cottagebythesea
01-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi, Flutist, and :welcome:!

little chick
01-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Welcome to all the new chicks.....
Day 4 complete, another day of clean eating. Yeah Me.

MellieInWI
01-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Day 4 for me too and I did so-so. I'm a little surprised at the fact my appetite isn't anywhere to be found. Is this normal?

B: Feta 2 egg omelet and 2 pieces of turkey bacon, v8
S: string cheese, coffee with a little skim milk and sugar free vanilla syrup
Didn't eat lunch - wasn't hungry?!
D: Salad with grilled chicken and ranch dressing (I also snuck one of my sons chicken nuggets. Naughty, I know.)

I'm making the "cheesecake" that is on the breakfast items recipe list for phase one. It smells great! That'll probably be my breakfast in the a.m. Also cut up some celery to have on hand for a quick snack with some PB.

And I'm jealous of you FLORIDA ladies. I'm up in Wisconsin and it's so cold.

crk05
01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi, may I join you? I am not a newcomer to 3FC or the SBD forums here, but it has been a while! My name is Christina, I'm 29 years old, and I live in Florida. I am married to a truck driver, I am a chemistry Ph.D. graduate looking for that first job, and I have a ten-month-old son!

Since my last time on SB (which was very successful) I had a gorgeous baby boy, but unfortunately fell into some very bad habits (like comfort eating, argghh!) during pregnancy and the post-partum period and am carrying around 35 extra pounds. I would like to get to my pre-pregnancy weight minus about five pounds. I am so bummed that I can't wear any of my pre-pregnancy pants except for my baggiest sweats! After the holidays passed, I admitted that I was flat out of excuses (and had been for some time), so I started the SBD phase 1 yesterday.

It is so early, but it hasn't been too bad so far - no headache or symptoms as of yet, but yes it is early! My main challenge is figuring out what to eat, especially for breakfast where I was accustomed to cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. So far I have been eating small amounts of dinner leftovers because I'm feeling a little stumped, and I don't really enjoy large quantities of eggs. (Definitely will be looking through the recipes for more interesting breakfast ideas!!)

Nice to meet all of you, and the best of luck to everyone!!

pear_fairy
01-06-2008, 06:11 AM
but I have been away more than on....let's see have tried to do SBD before but ex hubby was very unsupportive and then also have done WW and LAweightloss (my center just closed this month). I am not that large of a lady but I am 5'2 and currently around 154 so I could for sure stand to lose 15 to 20 pounds. I feel best in the 130's even though I always have had the desire to see the 120's again haha! Right now just wanna see those 140's again! I did my shopping and will start phaseone on Monday. It is just me and my daughter age 5 so should not have any excuses to why I cannot follow this plan!!!!
Thanks for all the support and lovely recipes!
Steph

MellieInWI
01-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey everyone- If you're looking for a breakfast option or something for a little treat, check out the cheesecake recipe on the phase 1 breakfast recipe section. I made it last night and it is AMAZING! If you like cheesecake, this is about as close as you can come. The only problem is I'll be tempted to eat more of it than I should.

Got on the scale today and I'm down 7lbs since last Wednesday, so I'm pretty excited about that!

Schmoodle
01-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Lilchick, are you feeling better today?
Mellie, I had some appetite loss, but even if you're not hungry you should still be sure and eat. When I started tracking calories, I was surprised to find that some days I was eating under 1000 calories, and that's not good for longterm success. I love the cheesecake. It makes a lot, so I cut it up and froze the slices individually. Helped to keep me away from it too. :D After Ph1, it's great with berries. Hooray on the 7 lbs!
Hi Christina and welcome! Good luck with the job hunting. I am a chemical engineer, but ended up not so much in the chemical field. You know how that goes!
And welcome to you Steph!

Hope you all have a fun Sunday planned. I've got a modified version of cottage's spinach feta fritatta in the oven, yum. Gotta take a shower and I think I'll scrub the bathroom while I'm at it. I stayed up too late last night, but I got all the curtains and the light fixture up in the kitchen, finally. I just made plans to meet SIL and niece this afternoon to see Sweeney Todd, and then take DD1 bra shopping. I'm looking forward to getting fitted myself and maybe get out of this bra **** I've been in.

today's menu:
B: fritatta, V8, coffee
L: leftover shrimp and cashew stir fry
Movie snack: raw veggies, cheese, nuts, diet soda
D: Roast Pork Loin, Roasted Red Pepper Soup
S: Fage 0% Greek Yogurt

Pearlrose
01-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Hello all, start of day 6 phase I, being doing good, pants are starting to feel looser again, not getting on scale until owid, which is tomorrow, but I am afraid to get on scale because TOM is due to arrive this week as well. I am just hoping for first week that I will have lost what I gained over the holidays,so we shall see. No headaches to report, was hungry a couple of days but when I checked calories I was low so added a couple of things to bump up and doing better last couple of days. Hope everyone else is doing good.

crk05
01-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Good morning everyone and thanks for the warm welcome! So today is day 3 for me, and the SBD Phase I yuck just caught up with me. I am feeling tired, lightheaded, and slightly ick, just like I remember feeling the first time around. I had a feeling I would have my ick day sooner or later. So I'm just taking it easy while my baby naps this morning - some food is cooking in the crockpot and I'm catching up on my emails and computer time! Oh, and I am baking some breakfast cheesecakes, which I remember from last time. I'm a little confused about the cream cheese in them, as I've read conflicting things about whether it's allowed or not in P1, but in any event if I eat them one at a time (they are the cupcake kind) that shouldn't be too bad either way.

rvargas
01-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi gals,

Had a fairly good day yesterday. No more migraines! Breakfast was eggs, sausage(everyone else got pancakes). It's funny but I hate panckes (have them 3 or 4 times a year), but now that I CAN'T have them,,,,,, I want them!!!!!!!!! Resisted temptation tho. I missed lunch too just like Mellie. No idea why, but I had a bowl of veggie soup at my mom's just in case. Dinner was a chef's salad and 2 hard boiled eggs.

This morning I had some spicy pork (loin I think). We'll have a light salad lunch 'cause DH and I are planning on doing some more serious cleaning today as a workout. Yeay!

Have a great Sunday!

DianaG
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Good morning everyone. My name is Diana and my husband and I just started the South Beach Diet yesterday.

A little about myself and why I am choosing the SBD. I am 38 years old and mommy to an almost 3 year old and a 16 month old, both girls. I have type II diabetes and have had it since 2001. I recently developed hypertension during my last pregancy and have been on bp meds ever since.

My long term goal is to lose 140 lbs and be able to reduce the amount of medication I take on a daily basis for my hypertension and diabetes. I would love to get off my insulin pump completely. I am not only doing this for my health, but my weight has started to get to me emotionally. It is getting harder to find nice looking clothes that fit and I am worried that as my girls get older they will not want me to meet any of their friends. I am also worried about not being around for them if my health continues down its current road.

My last Dr's appt my cholesterol and triglycerides were perfect, well under the recommended range with the hdl being above the 55 recommended for diabetic women. My bp is currently under control with meds and my A1c was not good due to a bad batch of insulin that I let get too cold. So I am now working to get my A1c back into the 5% range where it was and decided it was time to get serious about losing weight and exercising daily.

My dh is also overweight, but he only needs to lose about half of what I do; however, when reading through the SBD book I realized that the program was what he needed to get himself healthy. Heart problems are hereditary in his family and he has a problem with his cholesteral and his triglycerides even though we eat the same foods. He agrees that he needs to do something, so we are hoping to support each other on this program. He loved what I cooked yesterday for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I think he will be able to stick to this without cheating. He is willing to try new foods. :smug:

I have not seriously done a diet so to speak since before I was pregnant with my first daughter. I just maintained my weight even though I was overweight. I put on 20lbs between the two pregnancies that I never lost after having the babies, so my short term goal is to lose 10% of my weight to put me below my pre-pregnancy weight.

I want to take this one step at a time so I do not get discouraged.

Thank you all for letting me ramble on here. I am looking forward to sharing recipes, exercise advice and support with all of you! Happy New Year everyone.:)

dbz
01-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I managed to avoid the SB flu thing that I never knew about till reading about it here - I guess it's because we take our dairy seriously in this household (the 2 of us would go through a gallon a day on 1% pre-SB and now in Phase 1, that is hubby's only cheat, he does about 3-4 cups of milk a day because he just can't help himself. Me, I look forward to that freezing cold frothy goodness with dinner and I can stop myself from cheating simply by looking forward to it.)

Anyway, completed Day 4, into Day 5 now. Only problem I'm encountering is that it is easier for me to be regimented on the days I go into work than the days I stay home. Weird. You'd think by staying home, i could cook up a fabulous lunch rather than leftovers, be creative with my snacking, etc. but instead, I'm on the computer or reading all day (homework) and forget to eat, forget to fill my water bottle, etc. So apparently, my lack of short term memory will be a problem for me, and a hard one to overcome to boot!

(whereas my lack of short term memory has been a saving grace in quitting smoking because when I want a cigarette, I wait 2 minutes and completely forget I was wanting a cigarette :D)

Putting taco bake on next week's menu - very excited. Only question: are the green chilis in the recipe spicy? I can handle spicy just fine by hubby is Big Wuss when it comes to that & I'm thinking I should eliminate those from the recipe

:D Thanks

cottagebythesea
01-06-2008, 02:19 PM
dbz, the canned chilies aren't very spicy, I don't think you'll have any problem with them, you can even leave them out if you prefer and just add in whatever veggies you like. I like to add all kinds of extra veggies to my taco bake, it seems the more veggies that are added, the better it tastes! In Phase 2, I like to steam a bag of matchstick carrots and layer them over the refried beans before adding the meat/veggie mixture. It's heavenly!

WELCOME BACK, Christina! I certainly remember you, and congratulations on your baby boy!

WELCOME, Diana, too! We're happy to have you and your DH joining us here on The Beach! Look around our site and check out the wonderful recipes. We look forward to getting to know you better.

Day 5 for me and still going strong!

B. 3 scrambled eggs, 2 turkey sausage patties, sliced tomatoes
S. 1/2 cup tomato/roasted red pepper soup
L. Taco Bake over shredded raw cabbage
S. sf jello w/ 1 T. ff Cool Whip
D. chicken piccatta over shredded cabbage, chickpea and tomato saute
S. black bean brownie w/ 1 T. ff Cool Whip

pear_fairy
01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Well day one tomorrow and think I am prepared! Planning the following as of now...
Breakfast- water, V8, 2 or 3 slices turkey bacon, 2 scrambled eggs with low fat cheese
Snack-Celery or other green veggies with no carb no sugar ranch
Lunch-taco bake or cola chicken as making both up to have for the week (I am creature of habit as if i mix it up too much I overeat!).
Snack-low fat skim cheese stick, maybe piece of turkey deli meat if extra hungry
Dinner-taco bake or cola chicken again and asparagus

LOTS OF WATER Planned!!!!! And crystal light too :)

DianaG
01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

I am trying one of the phase 1 recipes from this site for dinner tonight. I have a question about a side dish idea I had though.

Is spaghetti squash an acceptable phase 1 veggie? In my SBD book it says the gylcemic index of it is <20 and the same section says only low index items should be used in phase 1, so I am thinking it is okay.

I am planning to cut up some zucchinni and summer squash and saute it with a small amount of homemade pesto (the recipe for the pesto is in the SBD book under the Broiled tomato with Pesto recipe). I was going to serve the squash mixture as a side dish, but if spaghetti squash is allowed I was thinking of serving it on top of the spaghetti squash. Just in a small amount as a side dish to serve with cod.

Any thoughts?

DianaG
01-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Thank you! I found the list and will be copying it and printing it out to place on the fridge. I will let all of you know how it comes out.
Diana

dixiechick77
01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey!
I'm new to 3FC, but not SBD. Hubby and I started back in September of '06 at his doctor's recommendation. I was basically just "along for the ride", since it was just easier that way and we were both SO pleased with the results! We both lost over 30 pounds each over the course of 6 months or so. We maintained it for a while, but towards the end of '07 we slacked off BIG time and are both almost back where we started. Tomorrow we're starting back on P1 (according to the $190 in SBD approved groceries I bought this afternoon, lol!). I'm looking forward to trying new recipes (many of which I've found browsing through these forums!) and getting back to where I want to be. Online support was the best thing for me last time, and I'm excited to be here! :cp:

GONNABE165
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Day 6 for me and I feel super :carrot:

b-bean muffin with scramble egg beaters & turkey bacon
l-L/O eggplant parm
s-blt wraps
d-grilled fish & scallops with salad

A big WELCOME to all the mnewbies

DianaG
01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone dinner was a smashing success.

I did the incredibly easy fish parmesan recipe from the phase 1 dinners forum, only I substituted dill for parsley and I used cod as the fish. It was delicious, dh did not even miss the breading I usually use when making fish.

I did the spaghetti squash. I microwaved each half with water for 15 minutes, drained it and then tossed it with zucchinni I had sauted in a touch of olive oil until it was still sort of crispy. When the zucchinni was done I threw on a tbls of pesto and mixed it up. It was so yummy.

cottagebythesea
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
:welcome: Dixiechick77! We look forward to meeting you!

Your supper idea sounds awesome, Diana. Spagetti squash is a staple for me and I'm eager to try your recipe. :)

WTG, GONNABE! I start Day 6 tomorrow, and it's going super so far!

phxsunflower
01-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi all,
Checking in late. Trying to cram to much into the last day of holiday vacation! :wave: to all the new people.

Todays menu looked like this-Breakfast was 1 c. tuna salad,1c. romaine lettuce and 2 small tomatoes.(bigger than a golf ball smaller than a baseball). It was a late breakfast so went right to an early dinner. Dinner was a large mexican salad.:T It was about 2 c. romaine topped with 3 med. dollops of refried beans, machca beef,(recipe below) tomatoes,gaucamole,lite sour cream, 2% schredded cheese, and homemade salsa. WAAAAAYYYY good.:yes: BIL thought there was noway that could be on my DIET. Told him I'm not on a diet but on a change for life!! Skipped the ice cream and my sister was surprised. Don't know why I have talked to her about what is going on. I have just enough sf jello left if the girls will leave it alone for dessert.

Tomorrow is planned-
Breakfast-mushroom,bell pepper,onion omelet topped with salsa
snack-celery with hummus(gonna try a new flavor. Liked the 3 spicy pepper one)
Lunch-salad with broccoli,cucumber,egg,cheese,mushrooms,and onions Not sure if I will use a dressing or more salsa!
snack-pistachios(30 I know)
Dinner-Uh oh!! will have to figure that one out. Have alot of the right meats just have to figure what it is going to be.
Dessert is in the same boat as dinner!!
Let's see how close I come to plan tomorrow!

machca-this recipe is for a family of 6 with some(not much) left overs.
4 lbs round steak trimmed
med. onion(I use yellow) diced small
6 to 7 clovers of garlic minced(we like)
1 sm. can of green chilis
1 14-15 oz. can of diced tomatoes( I likerotel because it gives it a little spice up without the kids dying)

Spray crockpot with pam put meat in, top with everything else. Low for 6 hours or until meat can be pulled apart. Pull apart meat and return to juice. DH and kids like to eat burrito style,I put mine on a bed of lettuce and top with gaucamole, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes,olives, refried beans,and salsa!

If you want to make it really spicy sub. the sm. can of chilis for a sm. can of jalapenos. DH,DS'sand I like the spicy spicy so we do this sometimes and leave the DD's to cheese crisp. Also I have used roast,london broil instead of round steak but that is usually what we have.

Love it! Brother takes the left over juice and uses that to cook rice in. Maybe when I am out of phase one that will be a meal #2 from the same pot.

I am going to try to check in tomorrow a.m. before we run out the door otherwise I will see you tomorrow afternoon!!

DianaG
01-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Cottagebythesea: (sorry do not know everyone's names yet). It was excellent. I bet it can be done with zucchinni and yellow squash, or any other squash someone wanted to add. For Dh to go back for seconds I must have done something right. The best thing about the diet so far is that my blood sugar numbers have been so much better!

My after dinner number tonight was 110 and lately it has been between 250-300, scary high. If my numbers remain this good I know my Endo will be pleased.

Phxsunflower: Your crock pot dinner idea sounds wonderful. My husband is a huge fan of jalepeno peppers. I bet he would love that one.

phxsunflower
01-06-2008, 09:35 PM
:oforgot to ask my questions!:lol:

Is Agave Nectar phase 1? Found it at the store and it was cheaper than the honey!?!!?

I know this is not phase 1 but can I use Uncle Sam instant oatmeal?

Ingredients are-whole grain rolled oats, uncle sam cereal(whole wheat kernels, flaxseed,salt,barley malt, niacin.riboflavin,thiamin mononitrate. Total saturated fat is.5 Trans fat 0 Dietary fiver 5, sugars, cholesterol0, sodium 20, potassium 120,carbs 24.? I hope so:crossed:

Alright now I am off to bed. Night

cottagebythesea
01-07-2008, 06:05 AM
phxsunflower, I think it's best to wait til Phase 2 for agave nectar since it's considered a fruit. I can't wait to have mine with yogurt, delicious!

The Uncle Sam instant oatmeal looks OK to me, I don't see anything refined in it, but that's just MHO and I'm not 100% sure. I'd go ahead and have it in Phase 2.

cottagebythesea
01-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Day 6, here I come! I'm almost 1/2 way through Phase 1! :carrot:

B. SouthBeach Belgian waffle w/sf maple syrup
S. red peppers and celery w/ hummus
L. tuna salad lettuce roll-ups, sf jello
s. tomato & roasted red pepper soup, string cheese
D. leftover chicken picatta on shredded raw cabbage, chickpea & tomato saute
S. Black bean brownie w/ 2 T. ff Cool Whip

GONNABE165
01-07-2008, 07:02 AM
7 days and counting

bfast - 2eggs with a small piece of chiken cordon blue
snack - celery w/npb
lunch - seafood salad
snack - mozz cheese stick
dinner - haven't decided as it's my brothers bday dinner at Bonos

Thank you Cottage for the support. Heres hoping your day 6 is as great as mine was :dust:

pear_fairy
01-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Day one here just starting out! Had my 3 pieces of turkey bacon and a tiny can of the low sodium v8 (although I admit to adding atiny bit of salt into it LOL) will have eggs when I get back from dropping daughter off to school if I am hungry for them. Have the cola chicken in the crock right now and will also make up the taco bake today :) Lunch may just end up being a salad today but once I go back to work tomorrow will bring leftovers with me for lunches.
Good luck all and thanks for the welcome! I hope to lose 5 pounds this month!

murphmitch
01-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Question- I just started South Beach yesterday and I have been feeling a little nauseous this morning. The whole egg and cheese thing in the morning sounds horrible today. Actually food doesn't sound appealing at all this morning. Is this normal? I am happy that I am down 3# this morning so that is good.

phxsunflower
01-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Cottage- Thanks for the answers.. I have no problem waiting when I know I have something to look forward to.

Day 7 for me doing good. Going to try to stick to plan as today is the first day back in the race.

Will stop by later.
Have a good day and a safe one.

Schmoodle
01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Morning Ph1 chickies!! I am on day 7 and feeling great. The Ph! re-do was a great idea for refocusing and getting a fresh start.

Hi murph, sorry you are not feeling well. You will probably feel better once you get something down. Can you drink some milk, or eat some cheese or a piece of turkey lunchmeat for now? Welcome to the group!
pear, I can't stand that low sodium V8. I bought some once and ended up mixing it half and half with the regular.
Thanks for posting the recipe sunflower. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to this week. Agave nectar mmm.:drool: Can't wait until I can have some next week!

Good morning to the rest of you chicks!

Today:
B - cottage's super-delicious spinach frittata, V8, coffee
S - string cheese
L - salad with pork and veggies
S - LCLC with celery, latte
D - chili, salad
S - cocoa

pear_fairy
01-07-2008, 09:23 AM
LOL Schmoodle yeah it is pretty gross! I only have a couple cans of it left then have my regular stuff!

Piper129
01-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Day 4 for me! I made it through the weekend! I did feel a little light-headed a few times Saturday, but I am fine so far today. I feel pretty good, although I am getting tired of some of my options.

Today:
b- 2 egg omelette w/ turkey sausage, peppers, onion
s- cottage cheese and celery
l- salad w/ olive oil and vin. w/ veggies and chicken, SF jello
s- cashews (10) cucumber slices
d- not sure but probably try the chicken divan :)

have a great day everyone!

Diva
01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Good morning everyone. Today is day 1 of Phase 1. YAY! :carrot:

I FINALLY got my house back! The guys are @ work & School and I can concentrate on my SB plan and exercise again! Thank goodness! I halfway started 3 day's ago when the scales went up and I was bloated and miserable and have lost 3.5 already so this is a good start. I am also trying to watch the sodium intake. It's amazing how many foods have a bunch of sodium in them, OMG!

About how many carbs do y'all ormally go for in a day? I am having to do a Atkins/SB plan, but only on a few things. I simply DO not do turkey bacon or sausage. The thought makes me wanna hurl, lol! I also have to have at least 1 cup of milk a day (2%) because that's the lowest my family will go. So it won't be perfect, but I know it'll work for me because it has before.

Anyway's. I am off to grocery shop and fill my cabintes and friedge with GOOD foods, then I will do my hour workout and clean this messy house. I am finding that I like the SB forum better than LC one because y'all are WAY more chatty, like me! hehe:D

Have a GREAT day!

cottagebythesea
01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Lilybell, the Belgium waffle recipe is posted in the Phase 1 breakfast ideas. Here is the link for it:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51635

Schmoodle
01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't count carbs, don't know if any of the other chicks do. But on Ph2, I usually have one fruit/day and 2 grain servings/day. However you can have up to three of each if it doesn't stall you.
BTW, I had tried turkey bacon before and thought it was disgusting. But the Louis Rich brand is pretty good. DD has gotten hooked on it too. Of course there's no reason you have to eat turkey bacon though, if you don't like it. You can eat another lean protein. I usually drink skim, but if we run out, I'll drink the 2% I get for the kids. I don't usually like skim, but we get our milk from a dairy and the fresh skim is way different than from the grocery store.

pamatga
01-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Well, as I have said before, I am new to this food plan. I read the entire book back in November and decided to follow a modified version of P2 throughout December, just to try it on for size (no pun intended) and because I was excited by the food choices.

I am glad that I did the modified last month because I was scared to go on P1 after hearing about some people feeling sick-like but the only changes I noticed was an increase in hot flashes and an irritating rash that I had had disappearing.

This is the longest that I have ever been totally sugar-free. I honestly thought it would be harder than this. Yesterday, I went grocery shopping for this week and I just "so happened" to turn the can around on the usual kidney beans I get (I made chili yesterday) and they had "high fructose corn syrup" in them! I think the stock boy in the back of the store probably heard me! I said to my DH " I said, why would they put sugar in kidney beans?" I had been using that brand for years! No wonder everyone loved my homemade chili so much---who needs dessert after eating a bowl or two of that?

Anyway I substituted red beans for it and it is ready to eat for this week. i have always loved legumes so I was really happy to see that as part of this food plan.

I have decided already to add 1 carb/1 fruit the first week of P2, 2 carbs/2 fruits the second week of P2 and then end up with 3 carbs/3 fruits where I plan to stay until I have lost all of this weight. I was losing weight on a much heavier carbs (good ones too) before this so I feel relatively confident that I will lose steadily on this.

Since I haven't felt any cravings for sweets I am not going to tempt myself in that direction. I haven't gotten bored but then I love to cook and I know I will come up with delicious meals as time goes on.

Still excited and looking forward to being a part of this effort we are all doing.

Here's to a thinner and healthier 2008:carrot:

GONNABE165
01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
It's so great to hear everyone is doing so well. 2008 is already off to a great start.

lilybell
01-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Thank you, cottage! My family thanks you. :)

Have found it really interesting to hear other's thoughts on turkey bacon because the first few times I ate it, I had awful heartburn and some carby cravings that I thought were caused by it. But then this weekend, didn't have any of those symptoms. Hmmmm. Canadian bacon is an option, too, if you like that. (I don't, sadly.)

I agree with Diva--can't help but see this as carb-controlled, too.

Anyway, cool catch on the beans, pamatga,!!! Who'd a thunk sugar would be in there????

crk05
01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you are doing well!
Thanks for the welcome back cottagebythe sea! :D

Today is day 4 for me, and I actually feel pretty good. The SB flu has not been bad for me - I had some queasiness and ick feeling yesterday, but today is not so bad.

Today is my first day back at school. Even though I am busy job hunting, I am also taking a couple of extra college science classes on the side just to broaden my knowledge base and array of job skills. The classes are good so far, but the big challenge about being on a college campus is the food they serve in the cafe there! The girls at the table next to me had these big plates of fried chicken and fries and I had a strong craving moment! But I know this is SO worth it and I would have been so unhappy with myself had I given in. And last time I did get to a point where I didn't crave that stuff anymore, so I know I can do it again this time.

Have a great week everyone!

coopspa
01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Today is my first 3FC post and my first day on SB. I've got 100# to lose and a history of not sticking to a eating plan. So here goes and hopefully with more support this time I'll see my goal. I chose SB because I have Hashimoto/hypothyroidism and this is the recommended way if eating for that. So if anyone here has the same obstacle, I'd love to hear from you!
Coopspa

GONNABE165
01-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi coopspa and welcome we are glad you joined us. Keep posting as it is a great way to stay on track.

Pearlrose
01-07-2008, 02:18 PM
well day number 7 for me, went and ahead and weighed in as this is my official wid and I lost 3 lbs not bad considering I am about to start TOM, now if next week I can get the last 2 I gained over the holidays and move on from there I will be happy.

coopspa
01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Gonnabe165-
Just noticed you were headed to Bono's. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Bono's!!!! I'm so jealous! And thanks for the welcome!
Coopspa

38withfreckles
01-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Well, I started Phase 1 today - sort of!

Yesterday was my birthday, so I pigged out at my sister's house. Unfortunately, something didn't set well, and I got pretty sick last night...I lost 3 pounds since Sunday if that tells you anything! My headache was excrutiating!

I did not have an appetite for most of the day, so I took advantage of it and sipped on my Diet Dr. Pepper while I did laundry. Finally after I did my errands and SB grocery shopping, I munched on a few olives around 2:30.

bfst: diet dp
snack: 0
lunch: 0
snack: 6-8 olives, diet dp
snack: sliced turkey and cheese roll up, bottled water
dinner: 3-4 bites of ham, salad, and crystal light

I nibbled on a certain 4 lettered item, but I don't want to talk about it right now. I'll just spot you the first and last letters: c and e...I didn't munch a lot, but I did it, and that is what counts. It will hopefully be gone tomorrow, and the temptation along with it! I WILL do better tomorrow!

cottagebythesea
01-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Day 7!

B. SBD Belgian waffle w/sf maple syrup (yep, I'm going to attempt to make it again!)
S. raw veggies w/hummus
L. tomato & roasted red pepper soup, chicken ceasar salad
S. string cheese, celery sticks
D. shrimp alfredo over spagetti squash, sauteed broccoli

cottagebythesea
01-08-2008, 06:27 AM
A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to you, 38withFreckles! I hope you're feeling better today and ready to start Phase 1 with us!

little chick
01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Today is day 6 for me. I still have a wee bit of a headache but nothing I can't live with. I hope it will be gone by tomorrow. Although I don't have it daily it is still bothersome. I am going to weigh in, in the morning. I hope I will be happy.

Schmoodle
01-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Morning Ph1ers, I am happy to have one week down, and be attacking week 2. Today I will have:

B - spinach frittata, V8, coffee with milk
S - string cheese
L - chili, salad
S - peanut butter with celery, latte
D - Cream of Broccoli Chicken Soup, Salad
S - Greek yogurt, fudgesicle

I am kind of sinusy today, so I want to be sure to get in all my water too.
Diva, you can post your food list. It won't bother anybody. We all have our own little twist on SBD! It's all about what works for you. Besides, I like your pretty purple font.
pamatga, it's great that you like to cook and experiment, that will serve you well on SB. I've found so many great recipes for my permanent file, not just "diet" recipes, and tried things I'd never cooked before.
lilybell, I don't know much about any other diet plan except SBD, not being a serial dieter, but I know many people have misconceptions about SBD, so I'm sure that's true for other plans too. Glad things are going so well for you!
Congrats on the 3 lbs, Pearlrose!
Welcome 38withfreckles, and happy late birthday!:hb:
Welcome, coopspa! When I started I had 100 to lose too, and it seemed like such a huge amount, practically impossible! But you will get there, 1 lb at a time! It is so do-able on SB! I am just about to hit my halfway point, and it seems like just yesterday I was getting started.

Have a great Ph1 Day chicks!

crk05
01-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Good morning everyone! I hope P1 is treating you well!

Today is day 5 for me and I am feeling very good! I can't wait to see what the scale tells me in 3 days. It is TOM but hopefully the worst of the bloating will be behind me by then. I am trying to be very careful in getting plenty of water.

So yesterday I tried my breakfast cheesecakes but they tasted very weird and I didn't like the texture. I think I botched them somehow and maybe didn't mix the batter enough? I was bummed :( And then I made a batch of the sweet pecans - the one in P1 snacks - and I waited while they baked so I could have some for my after-dinner snack but guess what! I burnt the darn thing! AHHHH! Isn't it frustrating to wait and wait and wait for something like that only to have to throw it out?! I ended up having a few spoonfuls of SF Jello instead. Meh.

Today I have an evening class - microbiology - but until then I'm just hanging out with my baby! He is getting ready to learn how to walk, I think, standing on his own now but not taking any steps yet. Soon I'll get plenty of exercise from chasing after him. Yay!

GONNABE165
01-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Day 8 for me

b-mexican omelet
s-cheesestick
l-salad
s-turket cheese & lettuce wraps
d-l/o chicken cordon blue
s-fudgecicle

have a great OP day!

Pearlrose
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Hello chickies, Day eight for me! Feeling great, I can have my energy back in full force again, feels great to be back op. I can't wait til I can start adding in Fruits and grains again, but will still phase back in slowly so I can still keep losing.

murphmitch
01-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Day 3 for me. No nausea today. I've lost my desire to eat eggs in the morning though. I'm sure missing my oatmeal. I look forward to eating it again. I was pleasantly surprised to see the scale shows a 6# loss in the last 3 days! I know a lot of it is water but I was able to zip up a pair of jeans today that I have been unable to wear for awhile. Hurray!

38withfreckles
01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I am so encouraged by all the success people are having. Zipping up a pair of jeans you couldn't wear before - that is a great feeling. Knowing the scale WILL move in a few days if I just stick to this is a great motivation. I have dieted before, and I had so much doubt. I can read your posts and see things are happening, so maybe it will happen for me.

One thing I am noticing is that you guys are cooking breakfast and lunch for yourselves. That is something that I need to do. I am used to grabbing a quick fix. If I will go ahead and make the mess and scramble the egg or whatever it is, I can eat something really good.

So far, I have grabbed a turkey/cheese rollup with my morning diet dp. It is 12:47 right now, and that is all I have eaten. I can eat more with this diet, but I am going to have to cook it.

Thanks for the birthday wishes - no more cake for me...I promise!

dixiechick77
01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
So encouraging to be reading about everybody's successes! Though it's only day 2 for me, P1 can be such a drag and I have to force myself to stay motivated. I feel more prepared now than I was the first time I did it in '06 though, and I know the rewards can be well worth the effort. Like you, 38, I one for grabbing a quick meal", and the cooking thing is my downfall!! I enjoy it, it's just the time and planning and expense are NOT things I find fun. Hamburger helper, Kraft mac & cheese, hot dogs, & TV dinners are very typical in our house (ick, I hate even thinking of all those bad carbs & fatty meals!!!). To me, cooking is fixing spaghetti and garlic bread every Sunday night!
Personally I'm really going through some emotional stuff right now. My grandma 800 miles away is near the end of her life, and I'm struggling with it. I only bring that up because today a good friend of mine told me "Robin, this is no time for you to try to diet... won't it only make you feel worse?" I told her that SB is so different, that I've actually begun feeling better in the past two days because I'm not putting garbage into my body. Plus, being an emotional mess it really helps for me to feel like I'm in control of something. I need to be strong and healthy... the meal planning, food shopping, cooking, etc. all give me something positive to focus on.
Anyway, sorry to throw in my personal drama. Today has been a really good SBD day for me. Except for the fact that I had to flip flop my snack & lunch because I had to work today, and I don't get a lunch break.

b: 2 eggs and a few cucumber slices
s: more cucumber slices & a piece of lf cheese
s: celery sticks with rf peanut butter
l: brocolli cauliflower cheese soup (this stuff is AMAZING!! I made a huge pot yesterday, and even my 10 y/o loves it... I have such a hard time getting veggies into him!! I think I found it on the recipe board)
d: I'll probably have the leftover beef stew & mushrooms that I fixed in the crockpot yesterday (another AMAZING recipe I probably found here, lol!) with green beans

I think I'll do a weight check tomorrow... probably too early, but I can't help it I gotta know!

Thicky Thick Girl
01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to 3FC and to the SBD. My best friend and I started the diet on the 2nd of January. We're now on day 7 of Phase 1. It's not as hard as I thought it would be, but it is definitely not easy as pie. The thing I'm having the most problem with is the no drinking, I love my wine! It's so hard from going to having a drink every day to not having a drink for two weeks! And I work at a sports bar where pretty much everything we serve is deep-fried....nachos, chicken wings, french fries.....I have the hardest time when I am at work. But I am definitely enjoying all of the healthy recipes!
Surprisingly enough, I'm not missing all of my bad food habits as much as I thought I would.
I'm a pasta, bread and chip addict, but this past week you'd have never known!

I have been suffering daily headaches, I think from the lack of caffeine, as before the diet, I had at least 1 Diet Coke a day, usually more.

I'm glad to see the pounds on the scale dropping though. Half way through, I'm excited for Phase 2!

I'm looking forward to being a part of this site!

cottagebythesea
01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
:welcome: Thicky Thick Girl! It's great to have you and your friend joining us!

xGurlyGrlx
01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Hello Everyone!
My boyfriend and I just started SB on Friday, January 4th. We are really excited. I have done Atkins and Suzanne Somers plan a few times. Oh and weight watchers. Atkins worked for awhile but it was hard NEVER having carbs.
My boyfriendís brother is getting married in July and we decided that is the perfect date for a mini goal ...for me. My BF is just being supportive! My ultimate goal is to lose about 140lbs. I chose 79lbs for my first mini goal before the wedding. Hopefully itís realistic!
We have found many delicious recipes here! I have one question though regarding the taco bake everyone is talking about. The recipe I saw had black beans. I wasnít sure that was legal for phase 1. Do I have the wrong recipe?

Happy New Year everyone!

murphmitch
01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Black beans are OK for Phase I.

cottagebythesea
01-09-2008, 06:11 AM
:welcome3: XGurlyGrix! It's great to have you joining us! Beans of all types are fine on Phase 1, and will even help stave off hunger and the "South Beach flu" that some people experience around the 3rd day of Phase 1. Check out the latest Phase 1 foods list in our FAQ section, and you'll find the Taco Bake and many other fantastic recipes on our recipe boards.

cottagebythesea
01-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Day 8 for me, and things are still going great!

B. spinach, mushroom and ff feta quiche
S. ff greek yogurt w/ splash of DaVinci sf peanut butter syrup
L. turkey and lf Swiss cheese wrapped around celery stix
S. 15 almonds and sf ff latte
D. grilled chicken breast, roasted broccoli

GONNABE165
01-09-2008, 06:31 AM
day 9 over here and my energy level is great and my cravings have been long gone.

How's your phase 1 success gong?

b-mexican omelet
s-turkey cheese & lettuce wraps
l-tuna salad
s-celery w/npb
d-baked talapia w/eggplant & onions
s-jellow/cool whip

Schmoodle
01-09-2008, 09:49 AM
good morning Ph1 chicks, day 9 for me. Okay confession time, I ate something I should not have had last night. I won't say what in order to avoid food porn. Well, it happens sometimes...back on track today! Not sure I can plan a full menu today because I may or may not be leaving on a trip this afternoon. If I go, I'll pack my bag with raw veg and string cheese. Anyway, the first half of the day looks like:
B - 2 hb eggs, turkey bacon, V8 (no coffee:()
S - lima beans (weird, huh? I want to finish them up, nobody else will!).
L - Cream of broccoli chicken soup, salad
S - celery and LCLC
The rest of the day will have to work itself out!

crk, you really have to blend the heck out of that cheesecake to make it smooth. Also, it's better after being in the refrigerator for a while.
murph, try some soup or beans for breakfast!
38 and dixie, cooking definitely helps, but you can make it easier on yourself by cooking for leftovers, and preparing in advance. Don't worry about airing your personal dramas, that's what we do here!
WTG lilybell!
Welcome thickythick! Just remember, 2 weeks is not so long, and then you'll be able to have your glass of wine from time to time.
Welcome GurlyGrl! If you want to keep the weight off and learn new habits and WOE, you can expect to lose 1 -2 lbs/wk. You may lose faster at first because you have more to lose. I have lost about 50 lbs in 7 mos, 35 of that was in the first 3.5 mos, and then things started to slow down. So you may not quite make 79, but you will definitely have made lots of progress by then and be feeling great! Try not to worry too much about the number. We are in this for the long run, right?!
Morning Gonnabe!
Cottage, which of the syrups have you tried? I've had the vanilla, hazelnut, and just got some gingerbread from Starbucks. I want to try the caramel, toasted marshmallow, English toffee, and peanut butter, but some of the reviewers on Amazon didn't care for the caramel. Which are your faves?

wanna b thin
01-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Good Morning All,
I am new to SB but not new to 3fc, although I haven't been on much the last couple of months and I usually posted on the 100 lb Club. I've been reading a lot and getting so much good information here the last few day. This is the first I've made time to post. My DH and I started SB on Monday, we were not as well prepared as we should have been, but we're doing okay. My biggest complaint at this point is lack of energy, I work out at Curves each morning before work and boy is it kicking my butt. I am so tired before I get half way around. But I am making my self do it. Glad to read from some of your post that the energy level will pick up.

I havn't changed my ticker yet, it shoud read 202, I'm so upset that I slipped out of Onederland, I'm going to wait to change my ticker till after the end of Phase 1. I had been doing WW for almost 2 years, till about the end of Oct., I just couldn't stay focused and wasn't loosing much so I decided to take a break through the holidays, my hope was to maintain but that didn't happen. So I decided to try something else and SB seemed to be the healthest, plus we have some friends, a couple, that have has some great success with it lately. This tread and the SB Recipes have already been a big help.

Thank you all

crk05
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Morning everyone! And a big welcome to everyone who is joining us! It feels so good to have so many other people to talk to while I am working my way through P1!!

So I'm on day 6 and doing OK. I have had a mild headache the last couple of days, but I usually have one when TOM is starting up, so it's probably not SB related. I think I have managed to more or less avoid the bad SB flu, except for my bit of queasiness 3 days ago. I can't believe I am almost halfway through P1! Yay!

Today I have classes, but I also need to find some time to squeeze in some grocery shopping and cooking. This morning I got desperate at breakfast time and had leftover vegetarian chili. I'm not a big egg person and I HATE breakfast meats, so I am always looking for alternatives - a lot of the time it is dinner leftovers, but I guess that's OK if they provide the needed nutritional value, right? Schmoodle - thanks for the tip on the cheesecake. I think I probably just didn't blend them enough because they were in the fridge forever before I tasted them. I will try again, I think! I remember liking breakfast cheesecake last time I did SBD. They were also too sweet for me, so I think I'm going to use less Splenda next time. I'm also deciding what I want to cook. I'm thinking about giving the famous taco bake a go.

Have a great day everyone!!

dbz
01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
wee bit annoyed with my body ... stuck to Phase 1 nearly religiously, worked out 5 days of the week and weighed in this morning & lost a grand total of 2.5 pounds. This happened last time I did SB (this time last year) and it was super frustrating. I know it's just the way it is and I can't change my body's stubbornness but it would certainly help if my husband didn't jump onto the scale after me and discover he's lost 13.5 pounds in this last week. I think he's stealing some of my pounds lost!

grrr

still sticking to it but drat! it's gonna take a long long long time

Schmoodle
01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
dbz, don't get discouraged! It is disheartening when you hear other people are losing 10 lbs. or more on Ph1. But if it helps I lost a grand total of 5 lbs on Ph1 last year, and all of that was in the second week. At the start of Ph2, I didn't lose anything for almost 2 weeks. But then I started losing, and once my body got with the program I had a loss of 1 - 3 lbs. almost every week. Some people lose in fits and starts - no loss for two or three weeks, then 5 lbs. gone all of a sudden. You will lose if you stick with it.
Also, don't know if you were working out before, but I've been told when you start working out seriously, it can stall your loss for a couple of weeks while you are starting to build muscle.
And don't ever compare yourself to a man, you will go crazy and want to kill him!
And by the way, 2.5 lbs. is nothing to sneeze at!!!

GONNABE165
01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
DBZ don't let it get you down. Men loose faster than women anyway. I just finnished a week on phase 1 with no loss. Keep your head up and keep at it and the weight will come off in a slow steady pace just the way you want it to. Good luck!

GONNABE165
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
lilly if you buy from amazon use the link on the site so FC gets credit for it

dbz
01-09-2008, 01:03 PM
schmoodle, gonnabe thanks ... I know I can't compare to hubby because his body is just so happy to not be eating donuts and Christmas tree cakes and oreos everyday ... I'll keep on it and just deal with whatever comes :/

Schmoodle
01-09-2008, 01:11 PM
lilybell, you can get some of the syrups at the grocery store, in the coffee aisle, but usually a limited variety. Starbucks will also sell you a bottle of their sf syrup - they've got a cinnamon dolce I want to try. And amazon has the Torani, lots of flavors. You can probably get them other places too. I've been looking because for my 50 lbs. reward I plan to order a Toddy, a Froth Au Lait, and some new syrup flavors. My afternoon latte is my daily treat/addiction!

little chick
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
dbz- have you taken your measurments. I know last Jan when I started ph 1 I lost more in inches than in weight for the till my scales caught up. Men always lose faster, darn men. Keep up the good work. You are doing great.

Piper129
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I am glad to see I am not the only one wondering about what the scale is saying. I have been following the plan closely, today is day 6 for me, and the scale is showing basically no change. TOM is here, and I know that makes a difference, but honestly, Phase1 has been HARD to stick to, and I am trying not to wonder too hard if it's worth it. Gotta just keep going, and hope some weight comes off next week.

xGurlyGrlx
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the welcome.
I am on day 6 today and its going pretty well. I dont really crave anything, which is good. I am, however, finding it harder and harder to choke down eggs for breakfast. I am not an egg person. Anyone see a problem with eating cottage cheese instead? Sorry if its a stupid question. I am still trying to figure out SB.

Pearlrose
01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Hello all almost end of day 9 today, forgot to eat snacks today got to busy but still doing good...though I will be glad when phas 1 is done.

Oh by the way I found Kahlua Davinci sugar free and it is wonderful love it.

murphmitch
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I have been eating cottage cheese every morning. I too can hardly stand the thought of eggs in the morning any more. Hopefully, I will be able to stomach them later. I always enjoyed them before. I can't wait to be able to introduce carbs soon, as I really miss my morning oatmeal. I also enjoy V-8 in the morning. I made the Mocha Ricotta Creme last night and it was awesome! I will be making that regularly. Does anyone else use the frozen South Beach entrees? They are labeled for the phases they are appropriate for. I didn't care for the roast pork one but the chicken one I had today was quite good. :yes:

crk05
01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
xGurlyGrlx - I have a major problem with eggs too, but I have *always* had a major problem with eggs. (I remember how badly the smell of eggs set off my nausea when I was pregnant!! It was the WORST thing ever!) For breakfast, I have actually been eating small portions of dinner leftovers warmed over, and it seems to work out OK since I usually have plenty. I would think there would be nothing wrong with some cottage cheese if that is what you like to eat.

MellieInWI
01-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Kara - I was like you too - couldn't stand the thought of any more eggs for breakfast. I made the "protein packed cheesecake" that is in the recipes section and was eating that for breakfast. Delicious. Cottage cheese (low fat) is a great breakfast option too. I decided that no more eggs every morning - I'm rotating things like turkey bacon and cottage cheese, cheesecake, etc. with the eggs because it would get way too boring otherwise.

I haven't check in in a few days because I've been struggling. Yesterday I made a beef soup in the crock pot for dinner and it totally bombed by the time we were ready to eat. Husband and I took the kids to perkins instead because it was "just easier" and I ended up having some of my sons leftover chicken fingers. Agh. Of course I paid for it today with a +2lb scale reading this morning. I'm hoping it was just water retention from the salt. I did clean up my act today though to get back on track.

I've really taken a liking to sugar free lattes. I have the davinci vanilla syrup but plan to order some other yummy flavors soon.

B: 2 deviled eggs, glass of V8
S: 1 string cheese
L: skipped - had no appetite
S: coffee w/SF syrup
D: broccoli and chicken stir fry

One more week on phase one!

cottagebythesea
01-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Cottage, which of the syrups have you tried? I've had the vanilla, hazelnut, and just got some gingerbread from Starbucks. I want to try the caramel, toasted marshmallow, English toffee, and peanut butter, but some of the reviewers on Amazon didn't care for the caramel. Which are your faves?

I have the vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, amaretto, English toffee, peppermintpaddy, Kahlua, German chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, peanutbutter, chocolate, cinnamon, and the ChaiTea ones. :) Sounds like a candy store! I think the caramel is great, I love it on my oatmeal. I'm not tempted to try any of the fruit-flavored ones, though, they just don't appeal to me. I have to say the peanutbutter is my favorite, I've been using it instead of the real thing in my PeanutButter Cup dessert to help cut calories, and I love it in yogurt.

rvargas
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry I was MIA for a few days. I've been swamped. Yesterday I did good: B: green tea
L: salad
D: 3 mini meatballs, chicken breast & salad

Today
B: green tea
L: salad, lentil soup + chocolate cake sample
D: pork loin, 2 slices avocado, refried beans

I'm STILL WAITING for my darned SB book from ebay... arrrgggh.

My scale says 10 lbs. lost. My doctor's says 5, but I'm not sweating the difference 'cause I can already tell that some of my pants are fitting better. Yeay!

CarCar
01-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey all! Pretty new here (thought I was ready before, but wasn't), but not too new to SBD. Had success on it a few years back, but then did the whole new boyfriend, eat out all the time thing, and after a couple years it was all back on. It's time to get back in control - I've been waiting a while for that feeling to come over me and finally it has!

I'm so excited to do this - especially with the support I see here on 3FC! Today was day 1 of phase 1 and it was pretty tough, but when I was able to resist pizza at CPK, I felt like I finally found the restraint and drive I need.

Anyway, look forward to getting to know everyone and good luck!

crk05
01-10-2008, 01:26 AM
CarCar - Welcome! Resisting pizza at CPK is a GREAT victory and I commend you for it! I have a major :jeno: weakness!

cottagebythesea
01-10-2008, 06:19 AM
:welcome3: CarCar! Good for you for resisting the pizza! On Phase 1 you can make a pretty decent one using portobello mushrooms for the crust, and on Phase 2 you'll be able to use ww bread dough, ww pitas, or ww tortillas to make your own. Most of the time they even end up tasting much better than regular pizza!

Lilybell, I think if you ask at Starbucks, they'll make a latte for you with nonfat milk. I don't know why they don't regularly use skim in all their skinny lattes? My starbucks won't sell any of their sugarfree syrups, they tell me they aren't allowed, although I know some places will let you buy the syrups. I usually order mine through the DaVinci website, and it only takes 2 -3 for them to ship it to me.
As far as Greek yogurt goes, I think the best tasting is Trader Joe's brand. It's lower in sugar and carbs, too. Stonyfield Farm is now making an organic Greek yogurt called "Oikos" that is nonfat, but it has 9 grams of sugar as compared to TJ's 3 grams, and 9 carb grams as compared to TJ's 5, and also has 130 calories in 1 cup as compared to TJ's 100 calories in a cup.

cottagebythesea
01-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Day 9 and I've lost 4 "solid" pounds!

B. spinach, mushroom, ff feta quiche
S. 15 almonds
L. turkey and lf Swiss cheese wrapped around celery stix, sf jello
S. tomato and roasted red pepper soup, raw veggies
D. Taco Bake over shredded cabbage

GONNABE165
01-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Ten down & 4 to go

b-chicken & cheese omelet
s-cheesestick
l-salad
s-almonds
d-chicken divan & brussel sprouts
s-jello w/cool whip

WELCOME! to the new ones joing us - glad to have you here.

GONNABE165
01-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Cottage 4lbs gone thats awesome - thats gotta make the day great for you

:bravo: :congrat:

Rubberduck
01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I have the vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, amaretto, English toffee, peppermintpaddy, Kahlua, German chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, peanutbutter, chocolate, cinnamon, and the ChaiTea ones. :) Sounds like a candy store! I think the caramel is great, I love it on my oatmeal. I'm not tempted to try any of the fruit-flavored ones, though, they just don't appeal to me. I have to say the peanutbutter is my favorite, I've been using it instead of the real thing in my PeanutButter Cup dessert to help cut calories, and I love it in yogurt.

MMM, how's the Chai Tea syrup? This is one treat I miss big time!

crk05
01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
OK ladies, all this talk of SF syrup flavors is really making me want some! You'll have to let me know how they turn out, especially the chai tea, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie ones! I love all things that have that warm, spicy taste to them.

I'm on day 7 and can't believe it has almost been a week. This time week 1 of P1 was easier than last time because I knew what to expect, how to plan, and I didn't have the flu so badly. I've even been able to exercise, although I have been taking it somewhat easy to let my body adjust to SBD. The cravings were there on day 4, especially late at night, but I got through it, and I'm on my way! Tomorrow will be my official weigh-in day, and I feel some anxiety and excitement about it. You all will be the first to know how it turns out. I hope I can move my ticker along!!

Congrats to cottagebythesea on your four pound loss! That is so wonderful!! :dancer:

Piper129
01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Day 7 for me! I had some bad cravings yesterday (and a cheated a smidge which I am sure didn't help) I hope to not feel that way today. I tried to eat a little more for breakfast, since that seems to help me not feel hungry all day long. so far, not a huge loss to report, but I am hoping for the best for the next 7 days.

lilybell
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Congrats on all the losses! Way to go, everyone!!

Thanks so much for the information, cottage. I really appreciate it.

Bella B
01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi all - I am brand new here, and also brand new to SB. Bought the book, and am starting tomorrow. I have not got a huge amount of weight to lose - probably about 15lbs, but those 15lbs make a big difference to how I feel and look.

I was wondering if anyone could have a look at my menu plan for tomorrow to see if it looks ok?

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs

Lunch - grilled chicken caesar salad with anchovies

Dinner - chicken breast stuffed with low fat cream cheese wrapped in ham with broccoli

Snacks - 15 cashews (the ones I have just now are salted - does this matter?)
sugar free jello

crk05
01-10-2008, 10:22 AM
:welcome3: Bella B! The first time I did SBD (before my baby) I only had 15 pounds to lose, but it made a HUGE difference to how my clothes fit and how I felt about myself. I hope everything goes well for you!

Bella B
01-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the welcome Christina :) You know, strangely I'm really excited about starting SB (I would have started today, but I had an apple, some minestrone soup, and some lasagne to use up today - and I hate wasting food!)

Pearlrose
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Welcome to all the new ones Bella B make sure you add some vegetables you need 4 1/2 cups a day and drink your water really helps

Day 10 for me, four to go yeah!!

wanna b thin
01-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I too thought it was odd that the guidlines weren't in the book, I'm almost through reading it. I had found it on the web page though.

I started day 4 this morning and I did get on the sacles, I was down 2.6 lbs. Yay!!! I'm not sure what to expect during phase 1 since I have been dieting soooo long and have never stopped drinking lots of water. I drink 80-100 ozs a day.

My only concern is still the lack of energy. I skiped Curves this morning, just couldn't get myself up and going. Is this a common symptom? My DH was sick with a flu last week, I may just be fighting off what he had, or a combination of both.

Reading all of your post has been very helpful, Thanks again.

crk05
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome Christina :) You know, strangely I'm really excited about starting SB (I would have started today, but I had an apple, some minestrone soup, and some lasagne to use up today - and I hate wasting food!)

I know what you mean about wasting food! I am exactly the same way. I had some cereal and leftover pasta and a few other things that I decided to use up before I started SB, so I was delayed a little bit. Also I was able to share some with my family, none of whom are on SB with me!

Oh and I forgot to comment on your menu last time :) I agree with the others about adding in plenty of veggies. The guideline I think is around 4 cups? Usually I spread mine out between the three meals to make sure I get enough. Also, nuts are a pretty good snack, but you may want to try mixing it up with some other things, like lowfat cheese, "rollups" of lean meat and cheese, roasted chickpeas (one of my favorites), etc. I usually have a SF sweet treat, like pudding (the Jello chocolate mint one is divine!!) for my after dinner snack and I seriously look forward to it all day. You might want to consider hopping on over to the recipes section to look for different snack and dessert ideas.

ETA - Doh! I just realized pudding is on the P2 list!! Oh well, I guess I will be saving the rest for a bit later! Can any of our resident experts tell me why no pudding in P1? (But we can have fudgesicles which seem really similar to me?) I don't get it.

crk05
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
My only concern is still the lack of energy. I skiped Curves this morning, just couldn't get myself up and going. Is this a common symptom? My DH was sick with a flu last week, I may just be fighting off what he had, or a combination of both.

I definitely had the SBD "flu" the first time around. Around days 3-4, I was very tired and didn't want to do much of anything. Even at school I felt like I was falling asleep on my desk! this time it wasn't so bad, but I had a sort of ick day on day 3. I hope you feel better quickly!

DianaG
01-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Good evening everyone. Today is day six of Phase I for us here and my dh is still supporting me, lol. Usually he gets hungry and cranky on a diet and sabatoges my efforts. I made the eggplant lasagna last night and he absolutely loved it. Although, I think I will call it an Eggplant bake to not confuse my family who automatically assumes noodles with lasagna.

Tonight I am grading tons of papers, so simple salads with lots of veggies and maybe some chicken breasts broiled and chopped up on top.

Is chilli allowed in phase I? DH loves chilli and all the ingredients I use for my homemade chilli are on the phase I list, so I figure it is okay. I use fresh tomatoes and uncooked beans, not canned, so I know there is no added sugar.

If I started the plan on Saturday, then my official once a week weigh in should be on Saturday morning right? I went to the Doctors today and I weighed 1lb different from my home scale, so I figure my home scale is pretty accurate. The Endo was impressed with my latest blood sugar numbers and said to keep it up. I go for an A1C in March and am hoping I will have it back down to between 5-6% which is non-diabetic range. I feel healthier when it is in those levels.

I just found the normal gold cover SBD cookbook in the clearance section at Michael's of all places for 9.99 hc, so I snapped it up. I just ordered the quick & easy one, so I figure why not have both. So far I have been making up my own or using the ones here under the Phase I section of recipes. Everyone's ideas are so good and flavorful.

If chilli is allowed, what would you serve with it? A side salad is what I am thinking. DH is use to eating it with a starch of some kind, either cornbread or fritos, and neither are anywhere near coming into my home any time soon. I was thinking of either having it with a side salad, or maybe even making a chilli salad by topping a bed of lettuce with the chilli?

Schmoodle
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Ph1 chicks. I just got back from my trip and am trying to figure out dinner. I just put some potato and ham soup on for the kiddos, quick and easy and they will love it because I don't make it often these days. I wasn't home to thaw anything out, and the refrigerator has been acting up again, so there isn't much in there. The only thing I've come up with for me and DH is some Canadian bacon. Oh! and I've got salad. I had a weird eating day with the traveling, and meetings, etc. But on plan, so that's okay.
B - small plain yogurt, coffee
L - roasted turkey, greens, and pintos at Cracker Barrel.
D - Canadian Bacon, salad
S - Fage Greek yogurt

I didn't get my water in because I had a 4-hour drive and didn't want to stop and pee every 30 miles. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Wow, cottage, that's quite a collection! I stopped by the Greencastle Coffee Roasters on the way home and bought the peanut butter and caramel syrups to add to my collection. Congrats on the 4 lbs! I will weigh on Saturday.

Somebody asked about the lattes. The easiest way is milk, 1 tsp instant coffee, syrup of choice, and zap in the microwave. Or I make a single shot of strong coffee in my Senseo. I also use vanilla and other extracts along with Splenda if I'm out of syrup. For my 50 lb. reward, I will be ordering a Toddy and a Froth Au Lait, then I'll be able to make them just like Starbucks!

Diana, chili is one of my Ph1 mainstays! Just use lean ground beef or ground turkey. I have it with salad usually.

Sorry chicks, I didn't have much sleep last night and am running out of steam. Gotta go feed the kiddos, harass them into doing homework, and hit the hay. I'll catch up on personals tomorrow.

westiesam
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Sorry I'm late - my 3FC activation kept going into my spam and I didn't realize it so I wasn't able to post until now. I started SBC on Jan 1 so today marked day 10 for me. I lost a little over 7 lbs the first week - which I still can't believe.
It seems like this is going to be a WOE for me as long as I keep planning meals, etc. so there is something good to eat when I get home from work. I am looking forward to moving to Phase 2 next week and adding a fruit or two back into my days.
I tried Atkins several years ago, but never made it past the two week induction -- I probably wasn't doing it right - but it seemed like too many eggs, too much cheese and way too many fats for me to continue on as a lifestyle - but don't want to knock it as some of my friends have done well on Atkins.
For me SBD seemed to make sense cause you can have the good carbs along with the proteins and good fats. Anyway -- wanted to stop by and say hello and wish everyone a healthy, happy Phase 1!:)

DianaG
01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Schmoodle: Thank you! I will whip some up tonight, so we can have it tomorrow and during the weekend. It is always better the longer the spices set. I do not blame you on not drinking a lot of water during that car ride. I have an espresso maker and I love using the sugar-free da vinci syrups. I have not used them yet during this. I will have to check the labels. What do you make a Toddy with? I had one last Christmas and it became my favorite holiday drink. I know it is brewed a special way, but what sort of machine is used?

Westiesam: 7lbs! That is awesome! Congratulations. I am looking foward to, and dreading my 1 week weigh in. I hope I am not disappointed. lol.

Have a good night everyone.

beliter
01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi,
I'm seriously thinking about starting Phase 1 Mon.(o1/14).
I've done this before(about 3 mo. the begining of last yr),I find it very hard to stick to,but I'm going to plan out my snacks & meals.
hopefully with support here & at home,this time will be better.

Thicky Thick Girl
01-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! I've lost six pounds already, which makes me cotinue to be excited about it!

crk05
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Just stopping by to say hello again! My baby is bored and I'm feeling a bit restless. Tomorrow is day 8 for me and I weigh in for the first time! I'm excited but also a little nervous to see what the actual number is. I'll let you know tomorrow and I just hope it's good news!

Thicky Thick Girl - Congrats on the loss! That's wonderful! :carrot:

Westiesam - Congrats to you too! I hope that I see some numbers like that when I weigh in tomorrow! :cb:

Schmoodle - I hope you have a restful night!

Diana G - I have been eating chili. There is a recipe in one of the SBD cookbooks that is for phase 1, but any basic chili recipe would work, I would think. I usually eat it with a spinach salad. I miss being able to have cornbread with it, but the sacrifice is worth it!

Beliter - Good luck to you! I hope that you find success! I found that, for myself, planning ahead and support of friends, family, and 3FC, made all the difference in the world!

CarCar
01-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great SBD day!

Day 2 and I'm finding this a little bit easier than I have in the past. I actually made the effort to boil eggs today and I found that much easier to get down. I am just not a breakfast person -- I find eating in the morning incredibly hard! I know this will be killing me in a few days....is anyone else having this problem? It's not just an egg thing either - it's forcing myself to eat at all before 11.

I'm feeling really motivated right now, and hopefully the momentum will continue building (maybe that's because there are a few of us at work having a weight loss challenge!).

It's so great to hear about everyone's successes, advice, and general commentary. I'm going to try to post as often as I can so I can really make 3FC a part of my support system (plus, I feel like it holds me more accountable).

Have a great night and morning everyone!

Bella B
01-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the helpful comments about my menu plan and for the welcome :)

So today is day 1 for me, and the first challenge is eating out for lunch - am going to have a grilled chicken caesar salad without croutons. Have had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast.

I'll add more veggies to my meals do as per your comments.

YOu all seem to be having great success with the diet - I hope I'm posting this time next week that I've lost 7lbs too!

Bella B
01-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Oh - just remembered another question I have - diet sugar free sodas are unlimited, but does this mean I could have orange soda or is this a no-no because of the fruit aspect?

cottagebythesea
01-11-2008, 06:42 AM
:welcome3: to all the Newbies! Come and join us in the daily chat thread, too. :)

Bella, you can have any flavor of diet soda, since they don't contain real fruit. You should go easy on them, though, since they have been known to increase cravings in some people. They're pretty high in sodium, too.

cottagebythesea
01-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Day 10 for me!

B. spinach, mushroom, ff feta quiche
S. yogurt w/ sf pumpkin pie syrup and sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
L. deviled eggs, tomato and roasted red pepper soup
S. 15 almonds, raw veggies w/ hummus
D. grilled chicken breast, roasted green beans, cannelini beans

GONNABE165
01-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Day 11 for me and no weight loss -the scale still shows the same # as my ticker. Seems like the doc may be right after all.

Good luck to you gals with finishing out phase 1.

My doc has given me orders to go to phase 2 until I can get over this illness se said the main ting is to bild back up the immune system so I can get back to normal.