Support Groups - Losing Weight in 2008

View Full Version : Losing Weight in 2008

jillybean720
12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I sure need it--365 days of support, motivation, energy, suggestions, advice, understanding, and LOSING! Oh wait, it's a leap year--make that 366 days ;)

BellaLucia
12-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm with you. I've got a lot to lose as you can see from my ticker.

karmuz
12-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm in!

and that extra day means I DEFINITELY will hit my goal in 2008 :)

What I would really like in 2008 is to lose this final 48lbs in the next 37 weeks so that I'm at goal by my 29th birthday. if it doesn't happen (and i've been losing just about 1lb a week so i won't be shocked if it wont) I will still be happy, but I would be HAPPIER if i made it :) it's not TOO much more.

jillybean720
12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
I've got a lot of obstacles, but they are all overcomable (yeah, I made that word up), and I've also got lots of motivators. We have 2 puppies right now, so walking them more will be an easy way to get more activity into my schedule. I'm also engaged, so looking a bit better for my future wedding (we haven't set a date yet) would be nice. We also hope to start a family in the next 4 years or so, and I want to be healthy and fit for pregnancy since I don't have the greatest health track record--I know it is possible to have a healthy pregnancy while obese, but with my health history, I know it's not very likely for me!

We went to Olive Garden a couple weeks ago, and we sat in a booth. It was so tight that some of the top part of my stomach hung over the table. It was pretty horrific, and I don't ever want to experience that again, or, even worse, end up not fitting into the booth at all.

FoodObsessed--I'm with ya on the lot to lose. I'm about 320 right now, so I'm in it for the long haul!

karmuz--I'm not one to set specific time goals for my weight loss because it can be so frustrating. Don't forget that the closer you get to goal, the more likely your weight loss will slow down even more. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, but I'm not sure it's 100% realistic to expect to even keep losing at the same rate you have been for your last few pounds. Just remember that anything other than a gain is a step in the right direction, no matter how fast or slow!

BellaLucia
12-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I once lost 80lbs in 5 months so it's not too much to lose 48 in less than 37 weeks.

soon2beslim
12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
I would like to join you all. I need all the support and motivation that I can get to keep me going.

jillybean720
12-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I once lost 80lbs in 5 months so it's not too much to lose 48 in less than 37 weeks.
Wow! Did that 80 pounds take you all the way down to your goal? I just know I read/hear a lot of stories of people who have a lot of weight to lose taking even up to a year or more to lose the last pesky 10 pounds or so.

I'm hoping that since I have SO much to lose, it will at least come off pretty quickly at first. I know I'll have to adjust things as my weight gets lower, but I look forward to seeing the numbers go down a bit quicker in the beginning :)

Bloomer
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm in! This has GOT to be my year. It's the 10th anniversary of my starting diets :)

I have more than 100 pounds to lose, but I'm doing Weight Watchers, and taking it 10% at a time. If I'm 50 pounds lighter next year, I'd be happy.

Louie
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Morning, Ladies ~ I would love to jump on board with you !

I use to be a regular poster at 3FC, but then all the other things in life got in the way and I haven't posted in at least a year.

At this point my goal is to do some "down sizing" - I know that will equate to weight loss, but trying not to focus on the weight aspect at this point. Someone recently said to me "if you weighed the same but were smaller, would you be okay with that".. Darn right it would be !!

I just finished a program at the local rec. centre so my goal is to continue with the gym, clean up my eating habits, and get into some smaller clothes.

Look forward to taking this journey with all of you !

Slashnl
12-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm in, too! Thanks for starting this, Jill. I've always enjoyed reading what you post!
I've got a long way to go, too. I have a vague number in my head as to what I want to lose over the next year, but I'm not going to put a time limit on getting to that weight. I get way too frustrated, anxious, and crazy when I do that. I'm thinking that a reasonable loss for me over the year would be 40-50 pounds. I won't be at my ultimate goal, but that will put me so much closer!!
I didn't lose all that much since I joined 3FC in February, but I made some good progress in changing my diet and adding exercise. I lost my way in the summer, but I came back.

So excited to get some pounds off!!!

BellaLucia
12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
When I lost the 80lbs, it didn't take me to goal. I was 280 and at my height the most I should weigh is 154.

zoritsa
12-28-2007, 10:47 AM
With being back to needing 100 lbs to lose,I'll definately be checking in daily and reporting on how I'm doing.

scottishdiane
12-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi Folks

I hopw you don't mind if I join you.

My Goal for 2008 is to reach my target of 168lbs but before that I have a mini summer target of 20lbs to reach before 13th May as this is the date me and hubby go on holiday for the first time together without kids in 18 years.

20 weeks 20lbs to lose. Fingers crossed xx

karmuz
12-28-2007, 11:32 AM
karmuz--I'm not one to set specific time goals for my weight loss because it can be so frustrating. Don't forget that the closer you get to goal, the more likely your weight loss will slow down even more. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, but I'm not sure it's 100% realistic to expect to even keep losing at the same rate you have been for your last few pounds. Just remember that anything other than a gain is a step in the right direction, no matter how fast or slow!

I don't expect to at all.. I'm the kind of person who sees a set goal as a challenge, though, and I will work that much harder to make it happen. I know not everyone is like that and I don't 100% expect to make it there. I like to say that it took me 4 years to take off the first 50lbs I've lost, lol, but i didn't set any major goals and without them I lose interest.

Jen415
12-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey y'all.....I'm joining you in this group, BUT with one huge difference....

I am NOT dieting in 2008.

Yep, you read it right. I tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, the Fat Smash Diet, and South Beach--ALL of these in 2007. And I am still the same weight as I was last year. The diet mentality has gotten me NOWHERE.

For the first time ever, I will LISTEN to my body. My body will tell me when to eat, what to eat and how much to eat. Get this--my body has had this capability all along and I've never listened to it! It's kind of like having a feature you never knew about on a car that you've had for years.

My focus will be on how I FEEL more than what the scale says.

I am committing to loving my body more this year and taking good care of it with pampering, exercise, and eating what it wants, without guilt. No more diets of any kind. No more abusing my body with too much food.

I like Nelie's signature: "Eat for the body you WANT, not the body you HAVE."

I'm looking forward to being on this journey with all of you....

karmuz
12-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Yep, you read it right. I tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, the Fat Smash Diet, and South Beach--ALL of these in 2007. And I am still the same weight as I was last year. The diet mentality has gotten me NOWHERE.

For the first time ever, I will LISTEN to my body. My body will tell me when to eat, what to eat and how much to eat. Get this--my body has had this capability all along and I've never listened to it! It's kind of like having a feature you never knew about on a car that you've had for years.

My focus will be on how I FEEL more than what the scale says.

I am committing to loving my body more this year and taking good care of it with pampering, exercise, and eating what it wants, without guilt. No more diets of any kind. No more abusing my body with too much food.

I like Nelie's signature: "Eat for the body you WANT, not the body you HAVE."

I'm looking forward to being on this journey with all of you....

YES! This is what I'm doing... though I am paying attention to the scale.
I am have found that while I am not losing quickly, i AM losing. The first four weeks of my journey were really learning to listen to my body, and learning to feel what HUNGRY is and how much - well really how little - food it takes to quell that feeling. I am relearning how fantastic good fresh clean food can taste, and have completely lost my taste for processed "unnatural" foods. my body doesn't want it, though my brain did. it doesn't anymore.
it is amazing what you can learn from your body if you just pay attention to it. I've been eating what I want, when I want, with an emphasis on natural foods, and a limit on the junk... but I just don't even WANT the junk anymore. my body doesn't need it, doesn't crave it, and I hardly even think about it anymore.

midwife
12-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I like new days, new weeks, new months and new years! We have so many opportunities to try again. For me, I just need to not give up. I need to persist and keep doing the things I need to do. And that means healthy foods in proper portions and daily exercise (groundbreaking--I know!!). Slips are not fatal to my efforts, but I can't allow myself to slip too often cause then I start justifying my actions to myself.

So, it's back to basics, keep it simple, one meal, one day at a time and all those cliches that apply so well.

A whole new LEAP year spread out before us at our feet and the opportunity to grab control and make our dreams come true! Sounds pretty good to me!

jillybean720
12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey y'all.....I'm joining you in this group, BUT with one huge difference....

I am NOT dieting in 2008.
Oh, Jen, my long lost sister...you know I'm not "dieting," either! Diet is such an evil 4-letter word. I'm just going to pay more attention to my diet, diet being what I put into my body. I want to make more conscious decisions instead of just eating whatever happens to be convenient. I can live a fat, unhealthy, convenient life, or I can use some common sense and live a healthier, fitter, more sensible life!

I can't depend on my body for hunger signals because after years of improper eating, I don't think my body has any idea when or how much I really should be eating. But, I CAN depend on my brain to tell me that the can of Healthy Request soup in my desk drawer is better for my lunch than a fast food burger and fries (better for my wallet, too!).

By the end of 2008, I will be happy if I am a comfortable size 20 pants. I am currently a tight-ish 22, sometimes a 24. I don't know how many pounds I would have to lose to get there, but it's not an overly-aggressive goal, and it will show that I am really making progress. I'd be extatic for an 18, but I will certainly be happy with a 20. Wow, 18 sounds so small to me right now...of course, that would be an 18 plus, not a misses 18. I think the last time I fit into non-plus sizes was my freshman year of high school :o

Alright, I'm babbling now...the short of it is, my goals are to reach a size 20 pants and to habitually be making healthier lifestyle choices. They say it takes 28 days to start (or end) a habit, so by the end of January, maybe some things will start sticking with me (and some of my current bad habits will be slipping away!) ;)

House_of_Mirth
12-28-2007, 01:27 PM
I posted this in the other thread but count me in!

I really feel like I don't require enough of myself. I spend allot of my life operating at 60-70% of my potential and the really surprising bit is that I accomplish quite a bit at this level. I've been cheating myself out of the kind of life I could have if I at least TRIED to operate at 100%. And this is the year I am going to do it.

I'm really excited to see what i can accomplish if I can go after my goals wholeheartedly!

Bloomer
12-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I think the "listen to my body" idea is a very good one, but it would never work for me. I listen to my wants. I'd like to get to the point of eating healthy naturally, but I think right now it would be a stretch. I'm swimming against the stream here, but this year I've decided to Go On a Diet (weight watchers). If I have rules, I'll follow them (in theory). Otherwise, I'm in freefall.

My main goal this year (aside from staying on program) is to WALK. I used to walk a lot, but for the past 10 years, I've hardly walked at all, and I've never been athletic. I'm sure that most of my 6 pound a year weight gain over the past decade is the lack of exercise. (She says, sitting at the computer, unable to leave until the UPS man comes.....)

lucky
12-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I hope you all don't mind my popping in and joining you. I've spent the better part of the last 6 months being unhealthy, lazy, and regaining enough of almost 100 hundred pounds that I kept off for two years to wake up this morning and think to myself "WTF?!?" So, I'm off to hop on the scale and update my stats, finishing reading through this thread, and then get back to reaching my goal weight and health status!

Jilly, thanks for starting this thread...I have a feeling this will be just what I need to get back on track and STAY THERE!

Jen415
12-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Bloomer, I'm pretty sedentary too....desk job 8+hrs a day, plus more computer and TV at home.

My intent is to be active in some form every day, whether it's walking on my treadmill or outside, circuit training, yoga, workout DVDs, dance classes, etc.

I know how good exercise makes me feel...so it is a mystery to me why I don't do what feels good!!

I got a new Flip Video camera for Christmas, and I intend to document my journey that way. I haven't decided if I will share my video diary with the world yet.....will have to think on that some more....

jillybean720
12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Jen--what is a Flip Video camera? Is it just a brand of video camera?

Mirth--I completely understand what you're saying. I am the same way; I have been doing "just enough" to accomplish what I need to accomplish. But if I bump it up to reach closer to my full potential, I can accomplish what I WANT to accomplish instead of just what I need to accomplish. And that can make a world of difference!

Jen415
12-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Jen--what is a Flip Video camera? Is it just a brand of video camera?

Cheick it out! http://www.theflip.com/

I love mine! I have the Ultra, with 60 minutes of video. I got a package that comes with a leather case and a tripod. It is so small I carry it everywhere!

canoes176
12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi All

I hope you don't mind me joining you. I have lost 100 lbs twice in my life and it always finds me again and then some. I have not dieted since 1988 seriously. This time I want to eat healthy and exercise and finally look after myself. I have been a care giver to my family members for the past 25 years. Three of them have died in the past 3 months therefore I am having a hard time trying to decide what I need to fill that void.

So.... I guess it is finally time to look after myself. I need to get rid of the negativity in my life and am looking for some much needed motivation. I need to lose approximately 60 lbs and I am going to take 1 step at a time.

Thanks for listening.

missingmyerica
12-29-2007, 10:09 AM
I'd like to join you guys too! I can use all the support that's out there. I'm not on a diet either. I'm just being sensible and eating whole, clean foods. I feel healthier than I've ever felt and now I want to concentrate on getting more active. I have an ankle injury that will prevent me from doing some things, but I'm trying to find things that I can do. Something is better than nothing!

jillybean720
12-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Judy--wow, that is a lot to deal with :hug: I'm so sorry for your losses. And I know when feeling down, it can be difficult to remember that food doesn't ever really feel those emotional voids since it just ends up making us feel worse about ourselves in the long run. We're all here to listen anytime!

Jen--oh wow, that looks pretty cool. So small and convenient and no tapes or discs to have to deal with. I may have to ask for one for my birthday :D

Louie
12-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Good Morning :coffee:

Looks like we are off to a good start with the new thread. Lots of us seem to be following a similar plan.. make good food choices and get moving :D

Last night hubby and I went to the folks for dinner and then played WII for a couple of hours. So much fun and lots of laughter. Not sure what I will get up to today, at this point I have a headache - which I am none to happy about :(

Lisa - checked out your blog.. love it ! You have a great sense of humour, look forward to getting to know you.

Canoes - I too am among the "lost 100 lbs - gained it all back" group. Sorry to hear about your recent losses - we are here to support you and help you with all the steps you take !

Jen - love your outlook on this journey ! I do the desk job thing as well and recently starting hitting the gym. It definately does make me feel better, so now I gotta stick to it.

Lucky - welcome aboard ! Looks like you are in good company with this group - look forward to taking the journey with you :)

Bloomer - sounds like you have your plan all set out - good for you! I have done WW in the past and like everything parts of it I loved and other parts not so much. The important thing is that you know yourself and choose a plan to fit your forever lifestyle.

HoMirth - I hear ya girl !! Wouldn't it wonderful and think what we could accomplish if we gave it our all. This is our year ;)

Jilly - Sounds like you have a set yourself an achievable goal..and ya get to go shopping at the end :) Look forward to helping you along the way !!

Midwife - "slips are not fatal to my effort" - so true - it is how we react to those slips and that is where I tend to fall down.

Karmuz - nothing wrong with not losing quickly - chances are you will keep it off !! Congrats on your progress to date and here's to losing more in 2008 (oooh I am a poet !!)

SDiane - 20 lbs in 20 weeks - we can help you get there and what a wonderful reward at the end ;)

zorista - welcome aboard ! Looks like lots of us have similar goals.

Foodobsessed - we can do this ! Look forward to being part of your journey.

Soon2beslim - love the name and look forward to getting there as well !!

Slashnl - 40-50 pounds sounds very reasonable for a year - and hey you get an extra day to do it in ;)

Phew.. I think I got everybody :D Wonder how many calories you burn by typing long posts :dizzy: Well I guess I should get a wiggle on and figure out what the day will bring. Hope you all have a good one and I will TTYS.

missingmyerica
12-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Is there a way to save the location of this thread so I don't lose you guys?

zoritsa
12-29-2007, 01:04 PM

I put this thread in my favorites.So when I click on it,only this thread comes up.

zoritsa
12-29-2007, 01:12 PM
For 2008,like many others in this thread,I too am going to pay more attention to my body and what it needs rather then what my taste buds(and mind thinks it wants) only want.My taste buds are naughty little things.I have a curves plate,and gosh darnit...today,it stops collecting dust.

jillybean720
12-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I have it set so I automatically subscribe to all the threads I post in. That way, whenever I log on, I just click on "User CP," and it lists all the threads I've ever posted in that have had new posts since the last time I logged in. To do this, go to your User CP, click on "Edit Options" on the left, and choose your desired option from the dropdown menu under "Messaging & Notification> Default Thread Subscription Mode." There, you can choose not to subscribe at all or you can choose to get email notifications if you want (I don't get email notifications, but I do subscribe to the threads). This saves me a LOT of time from having to wander around the site searching for threads!

zoritsa--my taste buds are naughty, too! They reject almost all vegetables (and believe me, I've tried 'em all and have prepared them in ways I didn't know existed!), which really makes proper nutrition and reducing calories pretty tricky at times. But I've found some ways to hide veggies in other foods, so there's almost always a way to trick the taste buds if needed ;)

midwife
12-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi guys!!

I wish I could bottle the motivation and positive energy in this thread! Even though I can't, it will be very good to check in and have "sips" of it through the year. So far so good! I had maple weight control oatmeal with frozen peaches this am and I am planning to run today.

We'll be going to Sedona AZ this next week, and it can be a challenge to stay on track out of town. Planning ahead will help, along with discipline. The story of my life!!!

Another plan I have for 2008 is to start lifting. I've been thinking about it for YEARS! Why haven't I started. We have a bowflex, and I have no excuses. Except that I don't know how. But dh does! So I shall make him teach me.

midwife
12-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Missingmyerica, with any luck, this thread will be so busy it shall remain in the top three of the misc clubs! Then it will be easy to find. :-)

missingmyerica
12-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I did it! I subscribed! My first time.....hooray!:carrot:

Magrat
12-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm with you. I've got a lot to lose as you can see from my ticker.

Hi. Good luck in your journey. I can't help but wonder, though, why your weight goal is so low. At five six 114.5 pounds would give you a BMI of just over 18. That sounds pretty thin, and maybe on the edge of being unhealthy.

Just my two cents, which of course you are free to ignore.

Magrat
12-29-2007, 04:14 PM

That's awfully fast. What were you eating, and how much were you exercising in order to drop pounds so quickly?

Magrat
12-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I've got a lot of obstacles, but they are all overcomable (yeah, I made that word up), and I've also got lots of motivators. We have 2 puppies right now, so walking them more will be an easy way to get more activity into my schedule. I'm also engaged, so looking a bit better for my future wedding (we haven't set a date yet) would be nice. We also hope to start a family in the next 4 years or so, and I want to be healthy and fit for pregnancy since I don't have the greatest health track record--I know it is possible to have a healthy pregnancy while obese, but with my health history, I know it's not very likely for me!

We went to Olive Garden a couple weeks ago, and we sat in a booth. It was so tight that some of the top part of my stomach hung over the table. It was pretty horrific, and I don't ever want to experience that again, or, even worse, end up not fitting into the booth at all.

FoodObsessed--I'm with ya on the lot to lose. I'm about 320 right now, so I'm in it for the long haul!

What breed are your puppies and what are their names?

I love dogs.

Luvz2Teach
12-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Wow! The energy and support in this group is contagious!

I'm a newbie to 3FC and wanted to find a group that I could join for support (to give and receive). I am going to lose weight in 2008 and I am going to try WW. I've tried a few things, including "listening to my body" but none of that works. I find that I can be inconsistent without the right accountability structure and my body seems to say things like "McDonnnnnald'sssss" or "Krisppppppy Kreeeeeeme"... LOL So I don't think it's a good idea for me to pay it much attention right now. At least not until it learns some new phrases!

My very first WW meeting won't be until Thursday, so I'll keep you guys posted on how that goes. Until then, I'll just focus on preparing myself to make the necessary changes. I'm a teacher so I'm not sedentary at all, but I do have some bad habits. I rarely eat breakfast and if I do, its a honey bun from the vending machine in the teacher's lounge... talk about healthy! Lunch is usually minimal or at least it seems that way because I'm probably starved out by the time that comes. It's usually not that bad of a health choice though... salads, sandwiches, etc. Now the time between lunch and dinner gets pretty tricky. The myth about teachers getting off at 3pm is a huge joke. I'm usually there for one meeting or another until at least 5pm, which means I'm starving again. If I have errands to run, that makes the evening longer and decreases that chances of cooking anything healthy. It usually becomes the quickest thing I can fix for us or the local drive-thru. Exercise, outside of all the standing, walking, and moving I do in the classroom, is non-existent. I'm so tired when I get home that I tend to veg out after getting the kids settled at home. Sooooooooooo.... I need a change!

I'm looking forward to talking with all of you more and reaching our goals together!

zoritsa
12-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I have it set so I automatically subscribe to all the threads I post in. That way, whenever I log on, I just click on "User CP," and it lists all the threads I've ever posted in that have had new posts since the last time I logged in. To do this, go to your User CP, click on "Edit Options" on the left, and choose your desired option from the dropdown menu under "Messaging & Notification> Default Thread Subscription Mode." There, you can choose not to subscribe at all or you can choose to get email notifications if you want (I don't get email notifications, but I do subscribe to the threads). This saves me a LOT of time from having to wander around the site searching for threads!

Ohhh,thanks! :) Didn't know how to do that before.

McMoo
12-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey Everyone,

just like missingmyerica, I subscribed to this thread. It's my first thread too.

I'm using 2008 as a fresh start. I'd like to listen to my body, but it's got no clue what's going on at this point either. I'm going to do South Beach, as the guidelines are easy to follow, and I love the idea of getting un-addicted to sugar and carbs. If I don't have a set of rules, I will find a way to make excuses and I'm not going to let myself do that. But that's just me. I've lived without eating rules for 26 years, aside from a few brief diets, and it's time for me to change it.

I am very excited about the new year, and working toward a new me, and I look forward to doing it with all of you!

WooHoo!!

Luvz2Teach
I subscribed too! whooooo hoooooo
Newbie on a roll! LOL

You can also just scroll up to the top of this page and click the down arrow for "Thread Tools" then select "Subscribe to this thread". That's what I did.

zoritsa
my taste buds are naughty, too! They reject almost all vegetables (and believe me, I've tried 'em all and have prepared them in ways I didn't know existed!), which really makes proper nutrition and reducing calories pretty tricky at times. But I've found some ways to hide veggies in other foods, so there's almost always a way to trick the taste buds if needed ;)

Oh now see,my taste buds love almost all fruits and veggies....just when given the option of those over junk foods like chocolate....they so go for the chocolate and bad foods :devil: I have to keep them in check.

Luvz2Teach
12-29-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm going to do South Beach, as the guidelines are easy to follow, and I love the idea of getting un-addicted to sugar and carbs.

Have you or anyone else tried South Beach before? I know a few people who did well but could never get a real handle on how it's done. All of the written info I found seemed a bit intimidating. Is it as restrictive as it looks?

missingmyerica
12-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I tried the "fried zucchini" recipe from Hungrygirl.com today and well let's just say....I wasn't thrilled. I guess my expectations were too high and I expected it to taste just like regular fried zucchini.:( Ah well, live and learn. I love veggies, so it's no big deal. I use zucchini instead of cucumbers in my salad, just to get in another healthy veggie. I did make some homemade sugar free/fat free hot chocolate mix out of powdered nonfat milk, splenda and cocoa. It tastes so good, and since I don't use artificial sweetner in anything else, I thought I'd use it as a treat. Has anyone made any new (healthy) recipes lately?

McMoo
12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
I actually did try south beach once before, about 4 years ago. I was living with a friend who was doing it, and the way she explained it to me in a nutshell was that it was similar to Atkins, but low-fat.

That's only for Phase 1, which lasts 2 weeks.. or you can do it longer if you want, but it isn't sugggested b/c you can burn out on it and just give up. (which is what happened to me)

Phase 2 is the long part of the diet, where you gradually add in carbs to find the perfect balance where you can eat them and still lose weight. Like I said, I didn't get that far.

I've got the book, which I'll be reading in the next two days, and I'll keep you posted.

As much as a carb/sugar addict as I am, I love proteins and veggies just as much, so I don't think it'll be too hard to adjust. The first week is a pain in the butt though, but it pays off. Your cravings for sugars really do stop. Sugars even make you feel crappy, which is a nice side-effect.

I'm only going to do phase 1 for the reccomended two weeks this time though. Losing 15 lbs in the first two weeks tempted me to stay on phase 1 for longer, as it was the first time I had EVER lost any weight.

So here goes. I found that on the Fat Girls On The Beach message board has a few great stickies with the good/bad foods, and a more organized overview than mine. I tend to ramble, I apologize.

BellaLucia
12-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I was walking and dancing when I lost the 80lbs in 5 months. My goal weight may or may not change depending on how I feel when I get close to it.

jillybean720
12-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey, I just noticed we have some chicks here from Northern VA and MD--I'm in the lovely DC Metro area, too!

As for me, it's been a bit of a rough day. My sister lives about 200 miles away from me and has one biological daughter named Isabelle (Izzy). Well, I got a phone call from my mother earlier today asking if I'd heard from my sister, and when I told her no, she filled me in on what's been going on in the last 24 hours. I had just said good bye to Izzy on Wednesday when my sister's family and mine both left my parents' house in CT to head to our homes in VA, so I knew she'd been fine at that point. Apparently, when my sister picked Izzy up from her babysitter's on Friday, she wouldn't use her left leg at all. Mind you, Izzy will be 1 next month, so she's been crawling around and pulling herself up to stand and has been very active, so not using a leg was alarming. Appropriately so, my sister and her husband took her to the hospital for X-rays where they found a fracture near the top of her thigh bone. The hospital immediately suggested they start an investigation into the babysitter for possible child abuse, and they ran more tests and did a full body scan for any other injuries. After lots of tests (and lost sleep), they've discovered another fracture on Izzy's shin bone near her ankle and a previous healed fracture in her wrist. My sister and brother-in-law have already spoken with a social worker, and last I knew, they were waiting for DCA at the hospital. We're all sort of shocked/angry/frightened/confused...at one point, the hospital said Izzy also had an elevated white blood cell count, which could be indicative of Leukemia, but further testing has shown her blood counts returning to normal, so thankfully that has been ruled out. It's been a stressful day, and I'm sure it's going to continue for quite some time while they get everything all sorted out. I hope with all my heart there is a rational explanation, but they've tested Izzy's bone density to be sure she's not more brittle than others her age for any reason, and her bones are normal for her age. They also said that at a minimum, the fracture on her thigh is a "forced fracture," meaning it could not have occured accidentally by her stepping on a toy or falling from trying to walk. Izzy is currently in a splint from her little ankle to her hip. Learning to walk will have to wait a bit.

Sorry for the tangent--I needed to get it out, and I need to remember that eating or being lazy about WHAT to eat will not help my sister or Izzy at all, so back to topic here!

For those discussing South Beach, I did it a few years ago and had some success with it. I stayed on Phase 1 for a few weeks and then did well on Phase 2 for a couple months, but then I just lost it and never went back. I liked it a lot because I didn't really "count" anything. I just added back in healthy carbs (fruits, starchier veggies, whole grains, etc.) in Phase 2 and found it very easy to follow. Then again, I was living with my sister at the time, and we were doing it together, which made it a lot easier since there were no naughty foods in the house :devil:

I've also done calorie counting, calorie cycling, low carb, whole foods...right now, I'm just aiming for healthier foods all around and am not too worried about specific numbers as long as I'm losing. I know my calories will be lower with healthier foods and more reasonable portions, and I will likely track my calories again eventually so I know where to go when I'm no longer seeing the progress I'd like, but I'm going to do my best to not fall into the trap of allowing the numbers (of anything--carbs, fat grams, calories, veggie servings, whatever) to rule me because that's when I most feel like a failure--when I set strict standards for myself that aren't really maintainable.

MissingMyErica--I've definitely seen some recipes on HungryGirl that make me wonder if they're any good. Some just sound so far from the real thing that I can't imagine it would be a good replacement for the real thing. I do like reading their food reviews, though, and there are some great tips on their site and in their emails. I'm not much of a cook, though, so I haven't tried their recipes, so I have no feedback for you!

zoritsa--I WISH my tastebuds enjoyed veggies! I do like lots of fruit, but it's not very filling to me, so I try not too eat too much of it because I'm just hungry again 10 minutes later :dizzy: My taste buds are actually VERY picky; I don't even really care much for chocolate (and can't STAND dark chocolate!). I sometimes have to get very creative with my meals in order to not get bored!

Magrat--my puppies will be 5 months old on New Year's Day. They are Corgi/Jack Russell/Chihuahua mixes. They are from the same litter but look sooo different--we basically have a Chihuahua (female named Bean, about 4.5 pounds) and a Corgi (male named Bowser, about 12 pounds).

midwife--good luck in AZ! I know in January, we'll be going to a party with Jeff's family out near Annapolis, MD, going to my company's holiday party, and visiting Jeff's mother (who, of course, loves to feed us and send us home with leftovers). Planning will certainly be key!

McMoo
12-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Where abouts are all of you DC Area people from? I'm in Fairfax, VA.

Jilly, I am so sorry to hear about your niece. My thoughts are with her.

I am thankful that the 12 days of Christmas are over with at work. There were endless potlucks, parties with lots of booze and food, and all kinds of sweets. It was such a horrible temptation, although I think as a result, everyone at the office will try to be on good behavior for atleast the first week of the year.

Is anyone not waiting for the new year, and starting now while the motivation is hot?

Louie
12-29-2007, 09:32 PM
In October I started a 10 week program at the local rec centre where I worked with a trainer a few days a week. I really enjoyed it - although they did kick your butt - but the program ended at the beginning of December.

Since then I have been exercising a few days a week on my own and have been trying to decide what I want to do as I don't want to lose the momentum.

Over the past few weeks I have been trying various facilities in my area and today I joined a fancy new gym :carrot:

1 step in the right direction :D

soon2beslim
12-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Congrats Louie for joining the gym. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have been going to curves 4 - 5 days a week and I love it. I tryed to do it on my own at home and found that there was to many distractions. Going out of the house to workout has been the best move for me. I still try to add alittle with the treadmill and tapes at home when I have time.
jillybean720 I love reading your posts and I look forward to sharing my 2008 and journey with all of you.
A big HELLO to everyone else. I look forward to getting to know you all better and sharing all the good and bad of our 2008 journey together.
WE CAN DO IT!!

lucky
12-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I tried the "fried zucchini" recipe from Hungrygirl.com today and well let's just say....I wasn't thrilled. I guess my expectations were too high and I expected it to taste just like regular fried zucchini.:( Ah well, live and learn. I love veggies, so it's no big deal. I use zucchini instead of cucumbers in my salad, just to get in another healthy veggie. I did make some homemade sugar free/fat free hot chocolate mix out of powdered nonfat milk, splenda and cocoa. It tastes so good, and since I don't use artificial sweetner in anything else, I thought I'd use it as a treat. Has anyone made any new (healthy) recipes lately?

I've been using the following faux fried zucchini recipe for a few years now. I think it might have originally been a WW recipe but I'm not sure. I haven't tried the HG recipe you referenced but I did look it up to make sure it wasn't the one I use. I mix a tablespoon of light ranch dressing with a little horseradish to dip the zucchini in and love it. I can't claim that it is exactly like "real" fried zucchini but I have honestly come to prefer this lighter version:

3 small zucchini cut into sticks or rounds
2 Tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
garlic salt, paprika to taste (I usually use just a couple of shakes each)
1/2 teaspoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Mix breadcrumbs, parmesan, seasonings, and olive oil in a bowl with a lid. Add zucchini and shake to coat. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.

Hope you like it!

midwife
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Jilly--I'm so sad for you and your family. Hopefully Izzy will heal quickly. The loss of trust and anger on the part of her parents will not heal as quickly I suspect.

McMoo, I am already on it. I have been actively in my lifestyle since September, with some pauses for various holidays and a binge or two. But I am clinging to it again today!

Louie, Congrats on joining a gym. There is a small, woman-owned gym close to my house. Independent (not a Curves or anything like that). My sister-in-law's friend opened it. I'm thinking about thinking about maybe perhaps checking it out. Maybe.

Soontobeslim, Thanks for putting out there that getting out of the house helps with exercising. Maybe I really should check out this chick's gym.

Lucky, that sounds good. In the past fried zucchini has simply been a mechanism to shove Ranch dressing in my mouth. :dizzy: I could eat it with some nice marinara sauce though.

I am on plan so far today, and yesterday was pretty good.

ETA: I just checked out the website for that independant gym....seems really hard-core and big time. I am not really that kind of athlete. Wonder what she offers for an overweight 30-something midwife who wants to learn to life weights??

lucky
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh, Jilly, I am so sorry to hear about your niece. I can't even imagine the range of emotions your family must be feeling. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

I have to give myself a little pat on the back...yesterday I mentioned to my sister that I was getting myself back on track and back into shape. She isn't actually overweight but does want to be healthier and more fit and her response was, "Okay, I'm going to jump on that bandwagon with you but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wait until the 1st!" I have to admit that my natural instinct was to say okay and spend the next couple of days indulging for the "last time". But, I gathered my wits and told her no and that I instead was going to use the enthusiasm and motivation that I was feeling right then to start reaching my goals NOW. If there is anything I've learned losing weight it is that motivation comes and goes...and I was very proud of myself for making the CHOICE not to let this blast of excitement pass me by!

Luvz2Teach
12-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Jilly... so sorry to hear about your niece. I hope that you have received some good news since your last post. You definitely are in my thoughts and prayers.

Louie... congrats on joining the gym! That first step is always the hardest and you did it!

Lucky... way to go! Procrastination is one of my naughty lil habits so kudos to you for not giving in to that. I actually had someone try to discourage me from going to WW on Thursday. "Just wait until the week after since it's so close to the New Year." Nope... I'm going on Thursday just like I planned and I'm going to make sure that nothing gets in my way. Gotta defeat that habit.

Today has been a pretty good day. Was able to unload lots of fattening leftovers either through cleaning out the fridge or by giving them to other relatives who really wanted them anyways. Trying to make sure that I don't have bad choices around. My grandma is here visiting though and she has made lots of favorites and put them in my freezer!! OMG... I'll have to go light on the points for breakfast, lunch and snacks to be able to accomodate the comfort food that I'm being left with. No matter what, I'm starting though. Not going to use that as an excuse to put it off another week.

missingmyerica
12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey everyone...just checking in quick before I go to work.

Jilly, I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I would be out of my mind! I'll keep you in my prayers.

Louie
12-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Lovely Ladies :wave:

Hope everyone is having a restful weekend. Saturday night was date night and hubby and I went and saw "I am Legend" - it was good, although a little disturbing at times.

As for today, I was up early so went to the gym. Then I went and wandered around downtown and bought myself a new moleskine diary - I am a self confessed stationary junkie !!!

Jilly ~ thougths with you and your family :hug:

Soon2beslim ~ I use to go to Curves but their hours just didn't work for me. I hear ya about the "at home" thing, definately easier to schedule some time for yourself and exercise outside of the home.

Lucky ~ thanks for the recipe, it sounds yummy :drool: Kudos to you for not falling into the January 1st temptation :)

Midwife ~ I was a bit freaked to join the gym as well. But now I just take my ipod, zone out to the music and do my thing ;)

Luvs ~ aren't grandma's great ;) What program are you following at WW?

Sounds like the dryer might be done, guess I better get back to being a domestic goddess (oh my hubby would LOL if he read that !!). Enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep on keeping on :hug:

jillybean720
12-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks to all for the thoughts and well wishes--I spoke with my sister directly today since everything started with her daughter, and some information relayed to me by my mother got a bit jumbled along the way. The fractures in Izzy's shin and thigh are both near the knee, so it looks like they would have been caused at the same time, not two separate incidents. Also, the babysitter apparently called my sister to see how Izzy was doing earlier on Saturday since she knew Izzy left her house on Friday favoring a leg. My sister seems convinced that it is not a case of intentional abuse, but the babysitter is still not allowed to watch ANY children (she typically watches 5 on weekdays) until the case is closed by the detective and DCS, which they say will be about 45-60 days. In the meantime, my sister is going to work on Wednesday (office is closed Monday and Tuesday) and will explain the situation and see if they can work out an arrangement for her to work from home (which is feasible since she is primarily a recruiter working on phones and computer). If they are unwilling to work with her, she will quit her job (luckily for them, her husband makes enough that they could afford for her to do this). So, emotions are still running high, but at least the dust is starting to settle and we're all thinking a bit more rationally.

McMoo--I actually work in Fairfax! I live down in Woodbridge, though. I've also lived in Alexandria and Manassas and worked in Chantilly, Centreville, and McLean, so in the 3 years I've lived in the area, I've quickly become a bit of a NoVA mutt :p

I'm not completely waiting until the new year to start being healthier. I can't say I'm going full force right now, but I'm already at least working on setting myself up for success (planning, buying certain foods and, more importantly, NOT buying others, etc.). For example, we went out for lunch today, but instead of our usual greasy meal from Chili's or some other chain, we went to Panera, who does have their nutrition info posted online for easier healthy decision making.

If I could exercise half as much as my puppies, I'd be skinny in a month! I'm having a blast watching them right now--they each stand about 12 feet apart and stare at each other for a minute until one can't contain him/herself any longer and charges at the other, and then they run around the house chasing and jumping on each other. We do play with them, but they haven't quite grasped the concept of "fetch" (they will chase a toy we throw, but won't return it), and Bowser won't even do much of tug-of-war...he's too obedient and immediately lets go if he thinks you want the toy. They sure keep us entertained--and busy!

I have to work tomorrow, but Jeff doesn't. Hopefully, my office will close pretty early, and then we have to pack up the puupies to head up to Jeff's cousins' house in MD for New Year's (not a party--just a family dinner out and some time to exchange gifts since we didn't see them at Christmas).

Alright, off to cook some lean turkey burgers with thin-sliced Swiss cheese on whole wheat buns for dinner :)

Luvz2Teach
12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Louie... I absolutely LOVE my grandma. She's here visiting for the holidays but she's leaving tomorrow. I'll be so sad to see her go. Grandma's have a way of making the house feel so warm and cozy! I'm going to do the flex plan. Are you doing WW too?

Jilly... glad the dust is settling there with Izzy and your family. It's easy to get emotionally charged when it comes to the young ones in our family. It's our natural protective and nurturing side. I know I'd be the same way if my 2 kids were involved in anything similar.

You talk about energy? Watching my two jump from one activity / game to the next today has all but worn me out! Then they look at you and say, "I'm bored." LOL Kids are something.

thazard
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi Everyone, hope u can make room for one more... I just had a baby 4.5 months ago, by c-section and was able to start exercising 8 weeks later. I got up to 200 lbs during my pregnancy, and lost 35 right away, puting me at 165, 10 lbs more than what I was when I got pregnant. I assume like a lot of u guys, I have struggled with my weight for my entire life. Because of a lack of self-esteem as well as self-confidence I have never fought to obtain the body I have always envied and wanted. After having my baby, my stomach is destroyed with stretchmarks, it looks like i was attacked my a pack of wolves, as well as my inner and outter thighs. This has made it terribly difficult for me to find the motivation to drop the weight because I feel like even if I get there my body looks like **** anyway. (I am VERY hard on myself, and it is very easy for me to get down about it) I notice that I have an eating disorder and am an emotional eater. I HAVE to nip this in the butt before it gets even more out of control. I am hoping that joining a support group will help me, and hopefully I will be able to motivate some of you... I feel like losing 35lbs is impossible and can't imagine what some of you who need to drop more weight feel... I admire all of your strength and determination and I am hoping to get some of that back for myself. I was 165 (my highest weight, not including my pregnancy) 3.5 years ago and through exercise and watching my diet more closely I managed to drop 20 lbs down to 145. I know I just need to stick to an exercise program for a couple weeks and I will be well on my way again.... Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully both individually and together we can muster up the self-confidence to obtain our goals!!!! :) Happy New Year!!

midwife
12-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Welcome, thazard! Celebrate your amazing body that grew that sweet lil thing!! I know it's easy to focus on the stretchmarks and all, but truly your body is miraculous!

jillybean720
12-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Good morning, all!

Man, one thing I love about this group is that everyone is so energetic and supportive whether we have 20 pounds to lose or 200! Sometimes when you're on one end of that sepctrum, it's hard to understand what someone on the other end is going through exactly, so I'm really happy to see everyone staying positive :)

I'm at work already here this morning (it is 7:07am as I'm writing this). I'm hoping ot leave here around 2 today so I can go home and pack all the stuff Jeff inevitably will forget to pack while he is home today, toss him and the puppies in the car, and head up to his cousins' for the night. It's normally about an hour and a half to get there, but in DC afternoon traffic, it can take double that. You'd think that with so many people off work today, the traffic would be lighter than usual, but I'm willing to bet almost any amount it will actually be heavier :dizzy:

So, to top off my efforts of setting up for successful weight loss, TOM has arrived! Even though I've been on the pill for 9 years now (wow, has it been that long?!), I get cravings and an insatiable hunger for the first couple days. I don't have a lot of food at my office nor any money for the vending machine, so hopefully I will be okay. I'm also going to make sure I drink plenty of water.

I just want to get this last holiday of the season over with so I can return to my normally scheduled life, already in progress :^:

missingmyerica
12-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Good morning all! :hug: Actually it's going to be goodnight for me in a few minutes since I worked a 12 hour night shift, but I wanted to check in and say hi. I had another successful night fighting off my coworkers attempts to feed me. I kept busy and ate my own pre-packed healthy snacks. Why do nurses eat so much? Geez....I didn't really notice until I stopped all the night shift snacking, how much we really consume in a night. Yikes... mostly salty, high fat stuff. I can't believe how much more energy I have now that I stopped eating all that stuff and not drinking coffee all night. Now I drink herbal tea and I feel more awake. Anyway...have a great day everyone. I'm so glad this group was formed.

P.S.

Lucky: Thanks for the recipe, sounds good. I'll try it this week and let you know how it goes.

jillybean720
12-31-2007, 09:56 AM
MissingMyErica--isn't it amazing how much better we feel when we stop eating the junk? Youd' think that would make it a no-brainer to be eating healthier all the time, and yet I keep getting suckered back into eating junk again...
I just noticed Lititz, PA, in your info. I have so been there--I went to college in York, PA, and my best friend lived in Manheim and worked in Lititz. Small world!

Jen415
12-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi y'all!

Just popping in for a minute....doing stuff around the house before we go out to a NYE party tonight.

I've been a scale hopper for many years, but this time around (which I am determined will be the LAST TIME) I am limiting that. I will concentrate more about how I FEEL than a number on the scale. At the most, I will weigh in once a week, but I will try to make it just once a month. I know how my mind operates...I can let those numbers tell me how I should be feeling. No more!! I will not be a slave to the scale!

See you all tomorrow--Happy New Year!!

McMoo
12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Good afternoon Ladies.

So I went grocery shopping for the new year lastnight, and I was very dissapointed with the produce. I got a bunch of lean meats and other healthy snacks, but I need to make another trip for veggies. I'll try another store later today.

Jilly, I moved to the area about two yers ago. I commute down Rt. 50 to work in Arlington. I drive for 15 minutes and pass 5 or 6 McDonald's, most of which are on the same road!!! I just have to keep remembering how gross it makes me feel.

I feel like I have lived off of nothing but carbs for the past few weeks. I've been all foggy in the head and have had an un-ending hunger as which happens when you're addicted to sugars like me. I'm not looking forward to the headaches I am going to have for the next few days, but I am very much looking forward to all the energy I am going to have. I am also looking forward to not feeling constantly hungry.

I have been talking to one girl at work who is also trying to lose weight this year, and we have toyed with the idea of Banning all sweets and pastries from the Kitchen. Everyone would benefit... Has anyone tried this? Every day someone brings in a baked good of some sort. I should just kick myself in the butt and realize that fitting into booths at restaurants will feel so much better than eating junk ever will.

Have a great day everyone!

zoritsa
12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Wow...this thread moves fast,can't keep up with replying.

Jilly-Glad to hear Izzy is doing better,and hope everything works out for the best.

Ohh,going to try that recipe with the zucchini,sounds really good....and see,already forgotten who posted it ~smacks forehead~

I have my son's birthday party this weekend,but I've already planned the meal and I feel good about what choices I'll be making for that day.As for this entire week,I'm going to get in more water(hate drinking water when it's so cold out) and keep the bad carbs away from my mouth.

Happy New Year everyone!

lucky
12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi y'all!

Just popping in for a minute....doing stuff around the house before we go out to a NYE party tonight.

I've been a scale hopper for many years, but this time around (which I am determined will be the LAST TIME) I am limiting that. I will concentrate more about how I FEEL than a number on the scale. At the most, I will weigh in once a week, but I will try to make it just once a month. I know how my mind operates...I can let those numbers tell me how I should be feeling. No more!! I will not be a slave to the scale!

See you all tomorrow--Happy New Year!!

I think I'm going to stop scale hoping at this point too. I actually started weighing daily sometime ago so that I could track the fluctuations and it served a great purpose...I did stop worrying so much about the pound or two that I would gain and lose as I was trying to reach my goal weight. Now, however, I've been thinking that had my behavior been driven by how I felt rather than the number on the scale then I might not have manged to packed 40 pounds back on. The fact of the matter is that my body felt like crap long before the numbers on the scale started going up. I truly believe that if I'd reacted to feeling sluggish and "puffy" I would have saved myself the trouble I'm in right now. But, I justified letting my healthy habits deteriorate because the scale didn't register THAT much damage. Until now, in what seems like overnight, it tells me I've gained 40 freaking pounds. I may eventually get back to a controlled daily weigh in but, for now, I just want to FEEL good again.

It has only been a couple of days but I do feel as though I've gotten my eating back under control. I'm staying between 1500-1600 calories and am already feeling more energetic. Exercise hasn't come so easily. I wish I had a good excuse but the real problem is that I've just been lazy and conjuring up excuses. So, I'm going to carve out a time for myself to go walking (I'd like to be able to type running as that is what I used to do but I know I'm going to have to work my way back up to that!) at that time every day this week. I really do enjoy exercising and so I don't know why the motivation does come more easily to me. But, it doesn't and I know that if I wait for motivation to knock on my door I'll still be sitting on the couch years from now. So, today is the day for me to begin adding physical activity back into my life.

soon2beslim
12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone, sounds like most of us has some sort of plans for New years eve. I'm not feeling 100% today, hope I'm not getting the flu...everyone around me has had it within the last week or so. I'm working only half a day so maybe I can grab a rest before the party starts.
Jen415- I'm a scale slave. I find it very hard to only weigh myself once a week. At curves I get weighed and measured once a month and its very hard to wait for each month to pass. This year I hope to be able to hop on the scale once a week and try not to think about it until the next week.

Happy New Year!

EsperanzaBella82
12-31-2007, 02:26 PM
:wave: Is there room for one more on the 2008 wagon?

My name is Jen and I used to post from time to time on these boards years ago (long enough to forget my account! :dizzy:) but even tho I stopped participating I still kept reading sporadically over the years because it is such a GREAT source of support, advice and wisdom for those of us trying to lose those "extra" pounds!

It is the last day of 2007 and even tho it was my goal to reach my goal weight this year by my birthday, Nov 1, I am not even the same weight I was on the first day of this year...I am 20 lbs over. :( Which is depressing to admit, but is also empowering because right at this moment I am taking responsibility for all of the innapropriate eating I have done this year (I am a really bad emotional eater! :devil:) and all of the missed trips to the gym or even just walks! I came down with a bad sinus infection/bronchial thing early in the year and whereas before I was a cardio freak my respiratory system took quite a beating with my illness. This past Halloween I got all 3 of my wisdom teeth removed and couldn't exercise for a week but the pain was pretty intolerable for a few weeks before I got them removed as 1 of them was growing in sideways into another tooth and 1 was growing diagonally up against another tooth. Luckily the 3rd one was growing in pretty normally although there wasn't quite enough room for it and it was easy to remove.

Thankfully, I am all better now and I miss my walks if only for my sanity! I have a gym membership to the rec center which is less than a mile away and very easy to walk to. There's no excuse for me not going, especially since I got some new exercise gear for Christmas as well as an iPod nano that my sister, who has two, gave me. I am going to aim to exercise 6 days a week for at least 45 minutes and see where that gets me. I'll tweak my routine as I go.

The rec center also has an outdoor area with a bike trail and tennis courts. Here in Phoenix, AZ our weather is usually warm enough in the winter months to walk/bike/jog/whatever outside wearing only a tshirt and shorts altho it's been a little chillier than usual lately, especially at night.

I am not going to lie to myself anymore about getting healthy! I know everything there is to know about losing weight...I am just missing the support (which is where I hope you guys can help!) and the belief in myself that this is something I can do!

McMoo, I am also a huge sugar addict. My parents owned a candy store when I was 9 and that is the year skinny Jen became fat! Unfortunately the store was the only place I could see my Mom....she worked ALL the time....and of course the only things to eat there were comprised of sugar, simple carbs and fat! Since my Mom couldn't be home to cook, we had restaurant food catered to us (green beans were pretty much our only veggie) or walked to Pizza Hut or the local Chinese restaurant for take-out (shrimp fried rice was the only thing I ever ate there!). We also used the micro quite a lot to cook those corn dogs our parents were fond of buying! Where were the Omega 3 and 9 fatty acids? Where were the whole grains? Where were the fruits and veggies? Umm...pretty much nonexistent. Thank goodness that only lasted 9 months and ended up being a blip on our nutritional radar...my mother has evolved quite a bit in her nutritional knowledge and her cooking has become infinitely healthier.

I thinned out and became more of a "normal" weight as I grew older and got my growth spurt, plus I was a very active child and got a LOT of exercise in naturally from walking 6 miles total to/from school 5 days/week (some days I would take the subway, but I love to walk and am fast!); walking all over the city with my Mom and siblings to Museums, libraries and wherever else we needed to go, as opposed to being driven; riding my bike; and playing at recess/the park with my friends/siblings. However, after my initial weight gain even at my lowest weight I was in the high end of a "normal" BMI, if not just a little over. I have never liked my body...I am very much a pear shape...tiny waist, big hips, small boobs! Hopefully I will learn to love my body over the course of the year as I learn to treat it with respect! :) I think I may be up for a sugar ban as well...I have read enough literature on it to know there is no reason for us to be eating it, although I do think naturally existing sugar found in fruit is okay.

Thank you so much Jilly for creating this support group for 2008. It is just what I needed. You don't even know how much I need this, especially since I have only 1 person supporting me in the "real" world. I know this will be OUR year! We can ALL do this! Persistence will get you EVERYwhere! :cheer2:

And I know this was a pretty long introduction, so thanks for reading! :hug:

Oh, almost forgot! :newyear: Don't party too hard and see you back here tomorrow to conquer the extra weight in 2008!

House_of_Mirth
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey everyone! Just wanted to check in.

It's really cool that so many of you are from the DC/ VA area! I may be moving there in a 6 months for a job and It would be so nice to have people who can give me a heads up on what the lay of the land is like!

Other than that I'm just resisting the urge to have a final hurrah (read: binge) before New year's. I really want about it seems so counterintuitive to celebrate an unhealthy behavior...however I certainly didn't get to be 70+ pounds overweight being rational.:^:

Louie
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi Gals :wave:

Wow, this thread is moving fast !! It is great to see so many motivated and inspirational people working together :)

Scale hopping ~ yep, I would have to say that I am guilty of that although when I am not eating all that well I seem to be able to avoid the scale. This time around I am focusing on inches and less on the scale.

Don't think I will get up to too much today. DH and I are going to my folks tonight for appy's and games, should be a fun night. I don't go back to work until next Monday - yeah - so a few more days to relax.

Luvs - no I am not doing WW, although I have belonged to WW a few times ;)

Soon2beslim - hope you are feeling better soon :hug:

EBella - welcome to the mix, I am sure you will enjoy it here !

If I don't make it back before the end of day, I wish you all a happy new year. Be safe and have fun !!

missingmyerica
12-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Jilly: That's funny that you've been to Lititz. Did you stop by the Wilbur Chocolate factory? I live about 10 blocks from it and some days the whole town smells like chocolate! We moved to PA from New York about 12 years ago. Small world isn't it?

Happy New Year Everyone. I'm working again tonight. I'll have to fight off all the coworkers and their snacks again tonight, so wish me luck.

:hug:

Luvz2Teach
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Happy New Year roomies! Thought I would check in and see how everyone is doing today. My day started off without breakfast and a quick trip to the airport (grandma's flight left today). I'll miss her but I'm sort of glad that the never-ending train of comfort food came to an end. On the way back, I stopped at the WW place and I'm glad I did. They really didn't tell me anything I didn't already read online or learn from the boards, but it was good to make a step in the direction that I am heading.

It sparked an idea for me to try following the flex plan to see how I would handle it. Well, so far so good. I've only used 20 of my 35 alotted points and I feel okay. My TOM arrived so you can imagine how badly I want chocolate, but I'm holding on. I pinched a tiny piece of my son's candy bar and that helped a little. I've done well with the eating but I have to improve on drinking my water. I didn't realize how little I drink until today. Interestingly enough, I used to drink only water while growing up. I need to find those habits and bring them back.

But let me not ramble... I hope all of you have a wonderful NYE! Thanks again Jilly for starting this group. :)

missingmyerica
12-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Luv2teach: Tom just arrived to spend New Years with me too! :devil:

Louie
01-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Happy New Year :cheers:

For some stupid reason I got up at 7:00 this morning :?: Doesn't seem to matter when I go to bed (1:00 last night) I am bright eyed and bushy tailed (whatever that means!!) between 6:00 and 7:00. Oh well, may have to catch a nap this afternoon :)

Not sure what I am going to get up to today. Haven't done any after-xmas shopping, but I'm not sure if any stores are open today...hmmm have to check that out.

Does anyone watch the biggest loser? I think the new show starts tonight and I will definately be watching. I am a reality show junkie !!

Well I am off to make myself a coffee and figure out what to have for breaky. Have a great day :hug:

stillovecartoons
01-01-2008, 12:37 PM
WOOOOO WOOOOOOO! I woke up this morning FEELING thinner already....its all in my mind...... ok not so true when i look down and see my stomach... pretty sure its all in there too....BUT THE POINT IS!!! Im ready for a fresh start and looking forward never back.

my long term goal is 180...starting at 283... my highest weight EVER!!! yikes..

my daughter is the picture of health for kids and runs track quite a bit... she has another 5k race coming up in May that I am flat out determined to run with her. I had to sit the last one out and it KILLED me that we couldnt do it together.... so this...... I HAVE to do..... and IM ready....so .....here we go 2008..... show me what you got!!!

missingmyerica
01-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm watching the new season of biggest loser right now. I love this show, so inspiring. I really like this group of contestants, lot's of interesting dynamics going on. This should be good.

p.s. last night someone I haven't seen in a long time showed up where I work and came up to me and said "wow, you look great!" It meant the world to me. No one has really said anything up until last night, and although I Know I look different, it feels good to hear it.

Have a great night.:hug:

jillybean720
01-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Gooooood morning, all! Sorry I didn't have a chance to post at all on New Year's--we were at Jeff's cousins' for the holiday, and their wireless internet router wasn't working for my laptop, and I couldn't wrestle their teenage son away from the desktop :dizzy: Had a great time, though.

We brought the puppies since we were staying overnight, and the cousins have a Beagle, so they all wore each other out. We didn't get home till about midnight last night, and normally when I get up in the morning, we take the pups out and feed them, and then JEff leaves and I go upstairs to get ready for work and leave the ppups to play together in the living room to burn off some energy before going back into the crates. Typically in that 20-30 minutes they are alone downstairs, they make a mess of their toys all over the floor and often find something to get into (a stray tissue, a falles piece of paper, a cardboard box--anything they can easily destroy). Today, however, I came back downstairs after getting ready to find them both just curled up laying in a pet bed together. Poor pups are just as tired as we humans are!

We all went out to a great Italian restaurant on New Year's Eve, and the food was AMAZING! I actually brought home leftovers instead of eating to the point of discomfort (which is what I would normally do), so that was a good step for me at a restaurant.

Oooh, my boss is in now--gotta jet!

missingmyerica
01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Just weighed myself ..... 204lbs! I never thought I'd be thrilled to weigh 204lbs, but I am. Only 5lbs till onederland! I am beyond happy today.:carrot:
I've gone up and down until really making the commitment in mid-October. Now I'm seeing a nice slow steady, healthy weight loss and feeling healthier than I have in my whole life. :carrot:

soon2beslim
01-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Good morning, Well I had a crappy new years. All day new years eve I wasn't feeling well and by the evening I was full blowen SICK. We had tickets to go to the Gala in town and I made it through the first 2 hours and had to go home. My husband stayed with our friends and had a blast. Oh well..theres always next year. I weighed myself this am and I am down 1/2 a pound. I hope to get back to working out tonight and get back on track now that all the holidays are almost over. We have one more meal this weekend for Ukranian Christmas.
jillybean720- glad to hear that you had a great New Years. Congrats to you for having controll at the restaraunt.
missingmyerica- congrats on your weight loss. You'll hit onederland before you know it!!
stillovecartoons- you sound very motivated. I'm sure you'll reach all your goals with that motivation. Your motivation is fuel for me too.

Louie
01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Morning :coffee:

Hope everyone survived the first day of 2008. I had a rather lazy day and didn't get up to too much of anything.. oh well back into the swing of things today. Gonna hit the gym and go to Costco to stock up on healthy snacks.

Wooohooo Lisa - you will be in onederland in no time !!

So what did you think of the biggest loser? I think it will be a good season, lots of high numbers were posted last night. Has anyone else noticed that at the beginning of the season that the ladies weigh in their sports bras and the men take their shirts off and then towards the end of the season - when they have lost substantial amounts of weight - that they all wear tshirts. What's up with that?!?!?

jillybean720
01-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Has anyone else noticed that at the beginning of the season that the ladies weigh in their sports bras and the men take their shirts off and then towards the end of the season - when they have lost substantial amounts of weight - that they all wear tshirts. What's up with that?!?!?
Yeah, I noticed that, too--my guess would be that they're trying to hide all the loose skin later on, so they actually look a bit thinner with the shirts on. It helps to make it look like a more drastic change from showing all the rolls and stretch marks to showing a thinner body with a shirt on, if that makes sense.

Slashnl
01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey everyone! Wow, what an active group on this thread! I had wanted to join in with you all in the beginning, but then I was out and about with the holidays, so I'm just now getting back in the computer swing of things! Ha! I'll catch up with you all!

I'm looking forward to this new year. It is so much better now than it was last year and I feel so hopeful about this year (and I'm feeling much more confident). I won't even let myself remember the Christmas pictures from this year (ugh!). They are at least a little better than last year and maybe next year's pics will be glorious!!!

Jen415
01-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Howdy y'all!

Well, I weighed in yesterday--322.8 lbs. I'm not getting on the scale again for awhile--maybe in a week, maybe in a month. We'll see...

Today, I have concentrated on how my body feels and feeding it when it was hungry. While I'm not counting calories per se, I kind of add it up in my head. So far, about 750 calories. Part of my new lifestyle is to stop about halfway through eating and wait a bit to see if I am still hungry. That might be a little rough at first, but I am determined to eat like a thin person!!

Jilly: good for you for listening to your body!

Lisa: Knock knock knockin' on Wonderland's door!! Cool!

McMoo
01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, I started off the year with a killer hangover, but started off the year not eating any sugars!

I have discovered that if you take a leaf of romaine lettuce, and a slice of turkey and a slice of reduced fat cheese, roll it all up with a dab of RF Mayo, It's really really good! You actually taste the lettuce!

I also made myself breakfast this morning, and packed a lunch to take to work! DH just made us dinner and left the butter off of my beans.

There were sweets abound from everyone coming back to work after the holidays, and I stayed away from them. AND I AM SO MUCH HAPPIER FOR IT!

At no point during the day did I have hunger pangs, and at no point did I feel like I was going to crash. It was nice to have a little bit of extra energy and to know that that will only increase!!

Believe it or not, two of my friends actually told me I was having a skinny day.. I think it is because I got new jeans for Christmas that actually fit, and I was wearing my MBT Sneakers that have some height to them, so I looked taller too... BUT HEY, I'm not gonna turn down compliments!

Day two - Success!!

Next up, Day 3.

Hang in there ladies, days will pass, and pounds will drop!

I think i've got a mini goal of losing 10 lbs by Feb 1.. That will put me in 2-derland by month 2! (is 2-derland a term here?)

WooHoo!! I am so glad I have people to share this with, usually I'd be too shy about my weight to talk to anyone at all!

-J

lucky
01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Wow! It sounds like everyone has started the new year with a bang! So many success stories already. Congratulations to all of you!

I've not weighed myself but I certainly FEEL much better already. I think Jilly mentioned it before but I am always so amazed at how even a few days of healthy eating improves my mood and energy level. Truly, nothing makes me feel better than being in control. What's funny is that when my eating is in control so is the rest of my life...work is better, the house is cleaner, EVERYTHING feels better! I must remind myself that my eating does not get out of control because the rest of my life isn't in order...I let the rest of my life become disorderly when I let my eating get out of control. From what I've read most people are the opposite...they turn to food when they can't control anything else in their life. For me, though, as long as I keep my eating habits in check everything else falls into place. I suppose because I know that if I manage to eat healthily and within reason then everything else is easy in comparison - nothing else seems quite as challenging. And now I'm rambling...SORRY!:dizzy:

jillybean720
01-03-2008, 07:15 AM
(is 2-derland a term here?)
I haven't seen it called that here, but I have seen it called Two-terville, I believe. But, whatever you call it, it's a better place to be! I'll be following about 10 pounds be hind you ;)

Well, my sister called yesterday. They took Izzy to the orthopedic specialist yesterday and had to have a hard cast put on her leg. So much for learning to walk right now--it will be on for about 6 weeks. The specialist also said the fracture in her wrist was more recent than the hospital originally thought, that it is "healing," not already all healed. He said it probably occurred about 2-3 weeks ago, which means when I saw Izzy at Christmas, she had a broken wrist! No wonder the poor baby was so fussy.

I did something yesterday I haven't done in weeks, possibly even months--I didn't eat out at ALL. Sounds like a silly thing to be happy about, but I've gotten into such a habit of eating out for dinner or stopping at McD's for breakfast or ordering pizza at work for lunch...but yesterday was all MY food.

Today, I may have lunch out, as I haven't gone grocery shopping yet, but I know if I do, it will be Wendy's. They have a salad there I like (and fat free honey mustard dressing!), or I could do a baked potato and cup of chili. As long as I steer clear of all things fried and anything that comes on a bun, I'll be okay :p

I'm so glad this thread is helpful to so many. I wasn't sure if anyone would join me when I started it, but I knew I needed it. Thanks to all who are here to help each other out along the way :hug:

missingmyerica
01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
On the biggest loser subject: OMG....I would have killed my Dad if he bailed on me like that! Grrr. I like the Mother/Son, ex's and the Mother/daughter teams. It looks like it's going to be a good season!

McMoo: Doesn't it feel good when people notice we look good? I know we need to feel good about ourselves, but sometimes you just need a little boost, right? Congrats.

Jilly: I'm glad you started this thread too. A smaller group makes it a little more personal and adds that extra bit of support. Thanks.:hug:

Lucky: I'm with you all the way....my life gets out of control when my eating does. I feel lazy and without direction. When I eat right I have tons of energy and my mood is so much better.

Jen: My daughter is naturally thin, we joke around that she was switched in the hospital. She will take two bites out of a donut and just leave the rest sitting there. Of course you-know-who would have to eat it instead of throwing it in the trash where it belonged. She eats as an after-thought, food means nothing to her. It drives me nuts, but I'm trying to be more like her.

Slash: Welcome. I know what you mean about the Christmas pictures. Ugh...that's what fireplaces are for!

Louie: LOL....I comment about the women wearing bras, every season! It is so disturbing. I guess it's all about the drama, but I don't think I'd want t stand in front of America with my stretch marks glistening under the lights. Blech. I give them credit.

Soon2be: Hope you are feeling better.:hug:

Luvz2Teach: I have trouble drinking water too. I never feel thirsty. I don't drink anything but herbal tea and water now, I totally eliminated diet soda. I bought one of those big coffee mugs that you use to drink coffee in the car and I fill it with herbal tea. I just carry it around with me and fill it whenever I'm done. It's the only way I can get myself to drink in the winter. I have my TOM too and someone at work made homemade dark chocolate "turtles", I allowed myself one small one and let me tell you I savored every bit of it! Mmmmm.:dizzy:

rockerinsideafatgirl
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm joining up ladies! 2008 all the way!

Slashnl
01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I haven't gotten up the courage to get on the scale just yet. I'll be there on Monday, though, to get back on track with weekly weigh in. I can tell I put on a little weight at least over the holidays.

I did pretty good yesterday, but I'm slacking when it comes to exercise. Maybe if it would warm up to above freezing at least, it would be more comfortable to be outside!! But, no excuses! I have a coat, gloves, ear muffs, boots... I can do it.

missingmyerica
01-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Welcome Rocker!:hug:

Louie
01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the gang, Rocker !!

Hope everyone is having a good week. The weekend will be here before we know it and then I will have to go back to work on monday :(

On Saturday I am scheduled to have a fitness assessment at the gym. Not sure what it will entail but I hope that I get through it okay. I'm glad that it is happening now, rather than in October when I first started exercising... that would not have been a pretty assessment !!

I didn't get to Costco yesterday, instead DH and I are going to head out there tonight. Looking forward to picking up some healthy snacks - feels like it has been a month of carbs and suger <<bleech>>

Well I am off to make myself some lunch - have a great day and TTYS :)

Jen415
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi y'all...checking in!

I had a big revelation last night:

I have never been thin. Ever. So I have NO CLUE how a thin person eats! The thing is, I don't have anyone close to me that is thin so I can observe their habits! So I'm on a mission! LOL!

Welcome, rocker!

Slash: I admire you wanting to get out there in the freezing cold. I live in Florida, and today has been the coldest day of winter so far! I'm such a weenie now!

Jill: I haven't been to the grocery yet either. So I am "making do" with stuff at home until I get there....can be kinda frustrating! Come this weekend, I will do a BIG shop!

I ended up getting stuck at work and couldnt get out for lunch, so I had to eat out of the vending machine. Definitely not my first choice! But tonight will be Wendy's chili!!

Talk to you all later!!!

rockerinsideafatgirl
01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Have you tried Boca chili? It's made with no meat and it tastes really good... I tried it last year when I gave up meat for 3 months. ONLY 150 cal for 269 grams where as there are 220 in a small chili from wendy's that's only 227 grams!

thazard
01-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Okay ladies, so my cold has some what gone away... My throat feels better, still not sounding too sexy, but at least I can BREATH again!! So I'm starting my workout program today!! No excuses! 7 days a week, at least 30 minutes to 1 hour a day!! I was on a mission to lose some lbs a couple years ago, would kick it into high gear on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes per day, and became more food conscious and after about 2 months i dropped 15 lbs.... So, I am committing to watching my portions, and I WILL do this this time, and it will be a permanent life change!!! I'm also going to start keeping tabs on calories and start reading labels. I've decided to USE my food journal!!!

PS. I read on the comp (don't ask me where, I think it may have been either msn.com or a local site here.) that people who REGULARLY weigh themselves have a higher success rate than those who don't. I can understand this b/c when i lost weight before I weighed myself daily and found that it kept me motivated and made me challenge myself. Anyway, just wanted to share that with those of u who have banished the scale!! Talk soon!!

McMoo
01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey Ladies,

So Day three... Success for me!

I haven't weighed myself, but I feel so much better! I doubt I have really lost anything, but I have been so much more active, I actually ran ( I use ran very loosely) up a flight of stairs! I've got spring in my step and it feels great. I don't know if it's related at all, but cutting sugar out of my diet has made my knees feel dramatically better right off the bat.

I made myself breakfast again, and like you, missingmyerica, while I was cooking my eggies, I put the kettle on to boil and made my big travel mug of tea to carry around with me. It was empty by the time I got to work, and I kept filling it all day. I drink water too, I've never really had a problem with water, I guzzle it like it's my job.
I found a tea, I think it's from the republic of tea, and it's called 'get clean.' It's a detox tea, and I like to think that it's helping me not want sugar.

Lastnight, as I was drinking some Tension Tamer Tea, I was reciting to myself... I like this better than the IceCream DH has in the freezer... but I was doing it jokingly. Usually I would have been fighting myself to stay away from the freezer!

Lunch today, I went out with the girls from work. I got a beautiful Cobb Salad with shrimp instead of chicken and it was Delicious! My co-worker got a pizza and an appetizer of fried calamari. I joked that she was trying to sabotage me. I had a few little bits, but am very happy with myself, as I would have normally scarfed half of the plate. The two other girls cheezy gooey pizzas were very tempting, but as I was squeezed into the small booth, I kept thinking of one day not having to move the table so I can get into it.

I just had dinner of two eggs, and a thin slice of ham. I took tiny tiny bites, and it worked. Usually I would have finished it in two bites. That's the good thing about cutting out sugars for me.. The hunger goes away.. Now I want to eat for the taste of it, not the swallowing of it.

On a slight down note, the detox headache is creeping in. I'm drinking so much water to help it pass quickly. I guess it reminds me that it's working though, right?

Going to watch some Kitchen Nightmares on the BBC America Channel, watching Gordon Ramsey dig through the fridges and find all the rotten food makes me not want to eat too.. and he's kinda nice to look at :)

Good luck tomorrow... Fridays are big sweets and donuts days in the office.. I will Win!!!

Luvz2Teach
01-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Helloooooooooooooooo everyone!!

Today was the big day... I went to my first WW meeting tonight. I was going to go to the meeting closest to my house but I changed my mind at the last minute and opted for the location that had the most meeting times. I'm glad I made that decision. I loved the environment when I walked in. It was alot of people there, but it was also right after work, so I knew that there would be a crowd.

The leader was quirky in a perky sorta way and she seemed really nice. I joined officially tonight and had my first weigh in. I'm actually 3lbs lighter than I thought! Man was I thrilled to find that out. OMG... imagine losing 3lbs over the holidays?!! That was really a great way to start this journey because now I'm motivated to keep losing. Hey... if I can lose 3lbs not doing a thing, what might happen with some effort, right?

My weigh-ins will be on Saturday, starting next week. How are all of you doing?

House_of_Mirth
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Welcome Rocker! Question: Why "Rockerinsideafatgirl" Why not just a Rocker? I understand the idea of fat obscuring who we really are but why does that mean we are someone else in the meantime?

If you want to be a rocker, well be a rocker at the weight you are! I'll salute you (and if you actually get that reference I am waay less lame than I thought I was)!

I've never liked that "skinny person trapped in a fat body" mentality. Just makes being overweight feel more victimizing and we can all use all the empowerment we can get. Its a vicious circle. If you veiw the fat as a punishment of sorts then you stay fat because you feel like you deserve to be punished because you are fat (and the million other toxic ideas that people who have been overweight have about themselves).

Jen415: I know the feeling! I have found it really helpful to look at the fitdays of the successful women here like Meg and Mandalin318 (sp?) though its still all pretty baffling to me. Sometimes it seems like Tons of food even though in my head 1500 cals isn't much at all.

Personally, I had a less than stellar day. My scale broke (the battery died) and I had a day full of fast food but I at least kept the soda to a minimum (MAJOR weakness of mine) and I started a blog that I am excited about (still debating if I want to link to it or not).I'm sick and have the joy of TOM which makes a real work out rough but I have been pacing all day which I guess is better than lying in bed. And quothe Scarlett "Tomorrow is another day!"

healthygoals08
01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Im new and wondering how you get the cute little trackers?

Thank you!

Jen415
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi y'all!

Healthygoals: Go to the UserCP button at the top left corner of your screen, then click on edit signature and it will give you directions.

Rocker:I haven't tried the Boca Chili, but I have some of the other products. Not bad!!

Thazard:I like your enthusiasm! And if weighing daily motivates you, then go for it!

McMoo:That's the idea--to FEEL better!! :) And I'm with you--I loves me some Gordon!! :)

TEach:So glad you found a good encouraging environment! I've been on WW a couple of times, and for me both experiences were not good because of those in my meetings. I just knew I needed more support than they could give. BTW, have you checked out the WW forums here on 3FC? Lots of good folks there!

Mirth:I love your outlook! I whole heartedly agree--be a rocker NOW!! Why wait? Why wait to do ANYTHING until you lose weight? As that John Mellencamp song says..."Your Life is NOW!"....Hope today is better for you!

I am having a great day so far!! I've had a good breakfast and still feel full. I'm having lunch out with a friend today--not sure where yet. But wherever it is, I will eat mindfully!

See y'all later!

Slashnl
01-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey Mirth: I got it your reference! I'm so proud of myself. I guess it is just a good thing that it was a reference to classic rock (is there any other kind?) and not the music of my kids, or I would have been lost. There I go again, showing my age!

Luvz2Teach: Losing weight while not being on plan? Just think what you'll do with a solid plan. You'll be unstoppable.

McMoo: I always liked ****'s Kitchen just so I could watch Ramsay in action. Hot!

Rocker: Boca chili... is it frozen? I'm assuming not canned??

thazard: Glad you're feeling better!

Well, for me, I didn't exercise yesterday. It is amazing how easily I can justify being too busy and having too many other things to do. I am turning myself back around and getting back to how I was before the holidays. I am having a little trouble amping up my water intake. One step at a time!!

Louie
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Hello Ladies

Just dropping in to say hello :wave:

rockerinsideafatgirl
01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Boca chili is frozen not canned and it is really good.

House: I don't mean it to victimize myself. I'm in a band, I am the only girl, the lead singer, lead guitarist and I DO rock. BUT it is hard for me to physically rock out and sing at the same time. The rocker I want to be is a thinner, healthier rocker than I am now, one that can actually rock and keep a pitch! :)
I have to say... I really love how you are concerned though. It means a lot that people here care when people say negative things about themselves. Again, my sn is not to victimize myself, but to motivate.

rockerinsideafatgirl
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
P.S. I got your reference. 10pts for a good rock allusion. AC/DC is awesome!

soon2beslim
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello everyone,
I had a great workout lastnight, finally feeling back to myself after the flu. Took the kids sledding this morning and had a blast.
I have read everyones post but don't have to much time right now to comment on all. Will get to that little later.
Have a great day everyone...

Louie
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Good Morning :coffee:

Up early again today, so enjoying a cup of coffee and catching up on posts. Always lots of good information to read !!

Anyone have any big plans for today? I have my fitness assessment and it is date night. Not sure what date night will entail as it is hubby's night to plan.

Soon2beslim, glad that you are feeling better. I am not much of a snow lover, but sledding sounds like fun !!

Well, I'm off to read some more. Have a great Saturday :D

Jen415
01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi y'all....been doing domestic stuff this morning. Just having a cup of hot green tea and chilling out.

We're meeting some friends later for drinks. Tomorrow will be more domestic stuff like cleaning out closets, etc. Woohoo!! NOT!

See y'all later!

McMoo
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Not much time to post today, but I hope Everyone's doing well. Day 4 went great. I treated myself to Sashimi for dinner, and was worried about the soy sauce making me swell up.. but when i stepped on the scale this morning...

I'VE LOST WEIGHT!! I'M ONLY 6 LBS AWAY FROM 2-TERVILLE!!! WAAAHOOOOO!

Have a great weekend ladies!!

Luvz2Teach
01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy McMoooooo!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!

Afternoon everyone... its a lazy Saturday around here (though I should be doing lots of things). Day 5 is going well so far. Just trying to be careful since I'm home all day. Had a good, on-plan breakfast, so I'm proud.

No real plans for the day other than to cook some meals for this coming week. I had some things prepared in advance last week and that really helped give me some options instead of standing in the pantry looking for something to cook (and probably pick the wrong things).

Have a great one everyone.......... :)

jillybean720
01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Woohoo McMoo!!

Have fun going out tonight, Jen!

Soon2beslim, glad to hear you're feeling better.

I somehow managed a loss as well. The last time I stepped on the scale, it said 321.5, but htis morning, it said 318.5. I'll take it. I think the loss come primarily from having just gotten over my TOM, but I won't argue ;)

No big plans for us. We tried to go out and buy an artificial Christmas tree on clearance, but Target, Walmart, Lowes, and HOme Depot are all already sold out. I had seen some at the Target in Md when we went to stay with Jeff's cousins, but we couldn't get it at that time because it would fit in our car (with the puppies, 2 puppy crates, a full suitcase, and Christmas gifts--our next vehicles will have to be bigger than Civics!).

I did pick up some paint swatches, though, and I think I've decided on a color for my living room. The next week is supposed to be pretty warm here (mid 50s to low 60s), so it seems like a good time to paint as I might be able to keep the windows open for a couple hours in the afternoon.

Tomorrow, I plan to go grocery shopping and stock up on everything I'll need for a successful week.

OH, and I know some people on 3F have mentioned what a great workout the Nintendo Wii can be. We have a Wii, but the novelty has worn off a bit (we've had it since the spring), but we also have an Xbox 360, and Jeff just bought the game Rock Band for that. We played it today, and I played the drums--talk about an upper arm workout! What fun--I really enjoy the more active video games. Jeff likes regular video games, but for those, I just sit and watch him play.

Luvz2Teach
01-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey everyone.... hope your day has been great so far. I had to jump online and share my joy with you. Remember how worried I was about weekend eating, right?

Well..... I decided to have breakfast this morning with my kids. We usually do a larger breakfast since we don't get to eat really good breakfasts during the week. I think I waited longer than I should have this morning simply out of fear... lol I modified my meal, but enjoyed a high point breakfast this morning. It was about 13 points total. I know.... not so good. The good part is that I was satisfied and full and that kept me out of the kitchen the rest of the day. By the time I realized that I was hungry, it was time to start cooking dinner. Now, here is where it gets good....

I decided to make Chicken Cacciatore. I served it with spaghetti and a little parm on top. Corn on the cob on the side. It was good and since I had only used 15 points all day long, I allowed myself to have seconds. I went upstairs to enter the recipe into the tracker on WW online to see just how many points that was and wouldn't you know that 1 serving of my recipe was only 3 points? I was so shocked yet very happy to know that I could modify one of my favorites and enjoy it! If anyone wants the recipe, I'll be glad to share it. My kids thought it was wonderful, plus it made a total of 8 servings which was enough for all of us to thoroughly enjoy it and leave a little for lunch on Monday. Now I'm stuffed and I still have to use 14 points today... smh... I love WW!

Sorry so long... I guess I was excited. :D How are all of you surviving the weekend?

midwife
01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi guys!! I'm back from Sedona and I wish you all much more success on trips, eating and exercise than I had! But it is done and that is life and life moves on.

Congrats on all the wonderful losses this week. Yea, McMoo!!! Can't wait to celebrate your next milestone with you!

Luvz2teach,
I am very interested in your recipe. Sounds yummy. Way to make those lifestyle changes!

jillybean720
01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Luvz2Teach--great job modifying your recipe! So many people start a weight loss plan and think they can no longer eat their favorite foods, but in most cases, those same foods can just be adjusted a bit either portion- or ingredient-wise to fit into their plan. Hurray for being able to lose weight while eating yummy foods! :D

midwife--glad you're back! And glad you've got the attitiude of just moving on and putting it behind you rather than harping on it, feeling guilty, trying to starve yourself to make up for it...I've been reading some other sections of this board and some other boards recently, and people try to do the craziest things to "make up" for a bad trip/day/meal/week/whatever. Drives me insane! :dizzy:

As for me, I'm waiting for Jeff to get out of the shower, and then we're going to go to Subway for some lunch (love Subway as a quick, plan-friendly option) and then hit the grocery store to stock up for the week. I'm hoping to clean up my kitchen some when we get back and maybe start preparing meals for during the week. I REALLY need to get back into the habit of cooking dinner at HOME instead of eating out every night. My wallet will appreciate the change as well. I can't even imagine how much more disposable income we would have to spend on things like home improvements if we could just stop eating out all the time (we just moved into our first owned home together in August, so lots of things we'd like to do to make it our own!).

lucky
01-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Hello! I've only had an opportunity to quickly scan everyone's posts but it sounds like everyone is right on track! That's awesome and very motivating. I have decided to weigh in tomorrow, the first weigh-in since I've committed to losing weight again. I'm a little nervous. I've hade an terrific week although I could have exercised more than I did. I exercised but didn't bust my rear end the way I should have! So, I'm not worried about how well I've done but that my eating behaviors from before I got back on the weight loss bandwagon might just now register on the scale. But, that's what I have to remind myself off....This past week and a half may actually just balance the scales for me, not tip them in the right direction. That will be okay because I KNOW next week will give me a more realistic idea of where I am weight-wise. In the meantime, I FEEL so much better. More energy, less bloat, and a better mood. I can't complain with results like that!

Jilly - we have a Wii too and I love the thing. We got DDR not too long ago and, although I'm not very good at it yet it still makes for a fun workout...ceratinly better than a game that allows me to sit on the couch! Also, I got Guitar Hero 3 for Christmast and we love, love, love it. We'd never played before...it doesn't get my heart rate up but it certainly isn't a sedentary game either (especially if you don't mind playing it like a spazz, which I'm told by my children that I do!).

I'm going to be in the kitchen all afternoon today trying to get as many meals as possible prepped and packed. The kids go back to school tomorrow and I know that if I don't give myself a headstart with my own lunches and healthy dinners for the family that it will be MY progress that suffers. Last week was easy since we didn't have to worry about their busy morning routine but starting tomorrow the chaos begins again!

Louie
01-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi, Gang :wave:

Hope everyone is doing well. Just having a relaxing day, although I have already been out and picked up groceries and started on the laundry.

Jen - hope you had a good night out with friends. Hubby and I went and saw 'Charlie Wilson's War' and then we went for dinner.. a nice evening, I hope yours was the same.

McMoo - looking forward to a twoterville celebration !!!

Luvs2 - sounds like you have a great OP day..good for you ! Your dinner sounds yummy.

Midwife- welcome back, hope you had a good trip.

Jilly - we have a wii and I love it. Over the holidays we had many bowling tournaments. We also have DDR, which I love and is a great cardio workout. Hope the grocery shopping went well and that your cupboards are all stocked up!

Lucky - good for you for prepping your meals for the day. I don't think I could spend that much time in the kitchen - what am I saying, I hardly spend any time in the kitchen - DH does most of the cooking in our house :)

Well I best go finish up the laundry and I have some ironing to do... CIAO :D

jillybean720
01-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't think I could spend that much time in the kitchen - what am I saying, I hardly spend any time in the kitchen - DH does most of the cooking in our house :)
Oh, that would be my dream come true! I hate cooking, but Jeff doesn't know how to cook anything beyond a frozen pizza in the oven or a Hot Pocket in the microwave :dizzy:

Right now, I'm waiting for water to boil on the stove to cook up some whole wheat lasagna noodles. I'll make a pan of lasagna with some reduced fat cheese, and that'll hold us over for dinner and lunches for a few days.

I got lots of good stuff at the grocery store today. I bought things to make wraps for lunches, some instant whole grain rice side dishes, some frozen vegetables for side dishes, some apples and bananas, some 99% fat free thin-sliced chicken breast cutlets...I was also able to find something for my girlfriend at work. She found out recently that she is pregnant (hurray for her, as they've been trying for months), and she's been craving some sliced peaches, but she's a health nut and couldn't find any that weren't packed in syrup. I found some that were packed in pear juice, so I got her a couple cans of those. I checked the ingredients--only peaches, pear juice concentrate, and ascorbic acid. I picked up some canned fruit for myself, too (also only packed in juice).

I'm going to plan some dinners for the week. Hope no one minds if I jot them down here:

Monday - leftover lasagna
Tuesday - chicken breast tenderloins w/bbq sauce and thin-sliced Swiss cheese, side of broccoli w/cheese
Wednesday - turkey keilbasa and low-fat mini pierogies
Thursday - turkey burgers on whole wheat buns
Friday - chicken breast marinated in sesame ginger marinade, side of organic chicken and veggie pot stickers

Luvz2Teach
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey gang! Hope everyone had a restful Sunday and are all ready for a great start to the work week tomorrow. I had another modified, yet OP day today. I'm so glad that I didn't blow it this weekend, because I was would have been pretty disappointed. At any rate, I spent yesterday on the island - Lazy Island, that is - and I spent today in the city - Housework City. LOL (My mom and I came up with those crazy names...) The housework has certainly been good to keep my activity level high and metabolism going.

I've done a little prep cooking for the week.... made some chicken and rice soup for lunch for a few days. Will probably make some spaghetti sauce to go with some whole wheat rotini for later in the week. Might even do a little chicken and broccoli stir fry too.

Midwife (and anyone else who is interested), here is my recipe for the Chicken Cacciatore.

3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts - trimmed and cut into chunks or strips
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
1 can of mushrooms or 1 cup of fresh ones, sliced
1/2 cup each of onions, bell pepper, celery - all chopped
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Dried Italian seasonings (use whatever you have in your pantry and season to taste)
Salt & Pepper (season to taste)
1 tbsp of olive oil

Heat oil in non-stick skillet to medium high. Add in chicken and saute until cooked through. Add in onions, peppers, celery, and garlic. Saute until veggies begin to cook through. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, and dried seasonings. Stir in, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes on medium-to-low heat. (If sauce is too thick for you, add no more than 1/4 cup of water to thin it out. But the tomatoes will probably do that on their own) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta of your choice. Makes about 8 servings - Enough for everyone to enjoy and for you to have some left over for lunch!

I calculated the WW points to be 3 points per serving, including the pasta. I used about 8 oz of regular vermicelli cooked al dente' and that made more than enough for us.

If you try it, let me know how it comes out! It was really easy to make and very good.

jillybean720
01-07-2008, 07:26 AM
grr, I'm annoyed. I stopped at the grocery store near my office this morning for some sweet pickle relish to have on my turkey dogs today, and they didn't have ANY that didn't list high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient. So I thought, fine, I'll use ketchup instead! So I turned around (ketchup was directly across the aisle) and checked out the ketchups--again, nothing without high fructose corn syrup! This wouldn't have been as frustrating if I hadn't know that the ketchup I use at home that is all natural without HFCS was THAT store's brand! How could this store not even carry their own brand of ketchup?! So I took a deep breath and started cruising around the store thinking of what else I could use when I came across the "health food" aisle. Hopeful, I scanned the few shelves for a relish or ketchup, but only found a dijon mustard. I guess I'll just use the honey mustard I have here, but I was really jonesin' for some relish. Sounds like I need a trip to Whole Foods during my lunch break today...

rockerinsideafatgirl
01-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm really sick and I'm really sleepy and hopped up on medicine... I think my workout will take a blow so I think I might have super strict on my diet... Thank GOD for lean cuisine paninis.

Jen415
01-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey y'all!

Jill: It's amazing where you can find HFCS these days. BUT, I don't worry if I have something that has it in it. It can't ALWAYS be avoided. And it helps me when you post your menu for the week!

I didn't get out to do a big shop trip yet. My BF and I picked up a few things while we were out Friday night,b ut not enough for a week. I DID find these cute mini-bages in the shape of squares from Thomas' English Muffins. They have them whole wheat or "the works", and they are 150 cals for BOTH pieces! We had them at breakfast both days this weekend with scrambled eggs, and I had one this morning with peanut butter. YUM!

Yesterday I worked out with a DVD called "Movement and Meditation". It combines a lot of the elements of yoga, tai chi and chi-gong. At the end, it has a very long meditation segment. I felt extremely relaxed at the end of it! I've been focusing more on the mind-body connection, and I've learned some great things! I have no idea how this translates to the scale so far, but at the same time, I don't care! As long as I feel good, that's all that matters!!

I bought the recent People issue with all the "Half Their Size" folks in it--very inspiring!

Geez, this is long--what a chatterbox I am today!

Edited to add: Hope you feel better soon, Rocker!

soon2beslim
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey everyone,

Well the holidays are FINALLY over. We had our last big meal yesterday for Ukranian Christmas and I did not to bad. I made sure to add in a little extra exercise too. I enjoy Christmas, but I'm glad its all over and not so busy.

Mcmoo: Congrats on your weight loss!!!

rocker: Hope you feel better soon!!

So far I have started out the year on the right foot. I have a new goal for 2008. I want to get up an hour early 3 days a week and spend that time on my treadmill. I also go to curves 4-5 nights a week so I hope that I can reach my goal this year. We are planning to take the kids on a holiday next Christmas to Florida so I would love to be a little smaller. Today was day 1 and I got up and did a jog and walk combo on the treadmill for a 1/2 hour. I feel great now, I feel like I have more energy today.

Hope you all have a great day!!

Louie
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Morning, Gals :wave:

Its been a long day, so just popping in to say hello - otherwise know as a fly-by !!

Hope you all had a great day. Rocker, hope you are feeling better soon.

rockerinsideafatgirl
01-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes... I can barely sit two minutes without coughing... any suggestions?

EsperanzaBella82
01-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I just wanted to pop on here to let everyone know I'm still doing well with my WL journey! I have made it to the gym twice this week as well as made it outside for two 3-mile power walks since the air was so crisp and fresh after the rains we have gotten recently. Rain in the desert is a beautiful thing!

I received a pair of turquoise 5-lb dumb bells for Christmas and have been using them in my workouts every other day...I'm ashamed to say that they are heavy for me! I have also been doing lunges and squats but I really need to make up a real weights program for myself. I plan to do that this week using the internet and some books that I have. Even though I worked out with a PT last summer, I still don't have a very good grasp on strength training and stretching exercises....at 5:30 in the morning I just did what she told me to do! My whole body felt like it had been run over by a Mack truck the first week of my training. And it made me sooo hungry. No wonder I gained 10 lbs! LOL. If I had stuck with it for a little longer (there's that pesky perseverance!) I'm sure I would have actually lost weight...I guess I wasn't really ready. BTW, hiring the PT was one of my sisters' ideas...she peer-pressured me into it. Ha! This time around, I'm getting healthy and losing weight just for me. I think the source of motivation does matter!

It sounds like everyone is doing really well so far! I hope everybody has a great week! I will most likely not be posting every day or even every other day but when I do come on I read EVERYbody's posts! They're very motivating! :) I have an exercise goal of 1000 minutes this month and I have to make sure to get to the gym for an hour for the next couple of days to get myself on track to reach it by 1/31! For just starting out, I think I'm doing well tho! My 2nd weigh in is this Wednesday! I certainly feel lighter. We'll see.

Ciao ladies!

EsperanzaBella82
01-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Jilly, as an aside, have you thought about possibly making this into a weekly thread like they do in the maintainers and 20-somethings forum? I think it would make it easier to follow and keep current. All of these pages can get kind of :dizzy:

Jen415
01-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey everyone....hop you all are doing well!

Rocker: The only thing that helps me is to stay on cough meds and cough drops. Makes my stomach queasy, but I hate coughing hard even more! I have no plans to get a cold this year! My immune system is better and better all the time!

Bella: Good for you darlin! 1000 minutes is a challenging goal!!

Slim: Great plan! I am NOT a morning person, so getting up on the treadmill would NOT be my cup of tea. I would rather do some stretching or some tai chi moves....

BTW, scale is down 2 lbs this week....

jillybean720
01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I guess we could make this a weekly thread--hadn't really thought about it, since it seems to have slowed down a bit already. Would that be more helpful to everyone else?

Well, big news around my office today is that the receptionist at the front desk is pregnant! It is unexpected, as she and her boyfriend are not married and currently live with his parents, but I'm being as supportive and enthusiastic as I can since I really feel that things tend to work out for the best if you keep an open mind and stay as positive as possible. She is 23, and her boyfriend is 29, so it's not like they're too young to handle it. Anyway, to the point...

So now, of the 3 people I talk to most in my office, 2 are pregnant (read: trying to eat healthy for the babies) and the other is also trying to lose weight, so I really have no excuse to be eating junk at work since I can no longer say, "Well, [fill in name] wanted to go to Wendy's..." since we're all trying to eat healthier. I feel like that's a very selfish reason for me to be happy that they are pregnant, but it works! I love that they're pregnant anyway because I LOVE talking about baby stuff and buying cute little baby things and being there for others during major emotional breakdowns and just helping as much I can in general. I'm also helping the receptionist search for an apartment since she didn't know where to even start, and I've been through that search many times myself.

I wish there was a job where I could just help clients with things like finding new housing, finding jobs, things like that. I just love helping people on this personal level, and I love searching for things online, in papers, etc. But, I'm sure a job like that wouldn't pay the mortgage as well as my current job.

Louie
01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi :wave:

Well we made it to Tuesday .. whoohoo. My first day back to work yesterday was busy.. doesn't take long to feel like you haven't had a holiday :(

Jen - congrats on the 2 lbs !
Bella - sounds like you are doing well and getting lots of exercise in..good for you!
Rocker - sorry to hear that you aren't feeling better. Hope the coughing stops soon !
Jill - it's great when there are others at the office that you can lean on for support and encouragement, I am sure that they all appreciate you :)

Take care and talk soon.

rockerinsideafatgirl
01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey guys...
I'm really gonna have to crack down this week/weekend.
I go home today to rehearse with my band and then this weekend is BATTLE OF THE BANDS!
Which of course means: eating on the road.
We'll be gone 3 days and 2 nights and I have 4 hungry guys in my band...
It's gonna be really tough, but I know I can do it. I guess I should look up some healthy options. I don't think I can convince them to go to mcalister's for every meal :)
Wish me luck!

Jen415
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Rocker: I SO envy you! I wish I had a band to front! What kind of music?

As far as the road....take as many healthy snacks with you as possible, and just make the best choices you can while you're out. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Louie: Welcome back! I know what you mean about not feeling like you've had any time off....that's the way it works sometimes....

Jill: You're right--most helping profession jobs like you describe don't pay too great, which is too bad. I guess you just gotta accept the personal rewards! LOL.

I've got to get a night time plan together. I always seem to eat more once I get home. And it's not hunger at all, it's habit. Maybe I should use whiteining strips at night.....

midwife
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey Rocker! Welcome! Just stick with your plan as much as possible. I know you can do it!

Louie, I know exactly what you mean. I am NOT ready to get back into the swing of things.

I would vote for a weekly thread, cause it might be a little easier to participate. I know I haven't been able to read all the posts I have missed.

Jilly,
That's really great you can help the receptionist out. I know what you mean about pregnancy meltdowns---I get to witness about a dozen a week. ;)

Esperanza, Sounds like you are ON it with the exercise. I know you will have some good results.

Jen, I munch at night too. Part of it is that I am so busy during the day and eating has definitely been the way I cope with work stress in the evenings to unwind. I have got to get a handle on it. I am considering making lunch my biggest meal of the day, cause I am way too generous at dinner and if I limited it to a sandwich, veggies, and fruit, that might give me more control.

I seem to have dropped the damage from my vacation this week. I'm back down to what I was right before Christmas, so that is good. I need to get back into regular exercising. I've been doing it irregularly, and that helps me maintain but it is not enough to lose. I'm coming down with a cold which doesn't help. I am the world's biggest baby when I am sick.

Have a lovely day, losers! :D

Jen415
01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
For me I don't think I could have dinner be light all the time. I am afraid that would get me to overeat on other stuff instead....I just saw a segment on Discovery Health about that woman who won on the reverse diet, where she ate dinner at breakfast and vice versa...

Louie
01-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Rocker - sounds like you have an exciting time ahead of you ! Enjoy your trip, good luck with the battle !!

Jen - yes night time can definately ruin what was a good OP day. I am trying not to eat after 7:00.. so far I have failed, but haven't eaten after 7:30, so I am close ;)

Midwife - congrats on the loss !! Sorry to hear that you are getting a cold, not fun being sick.

The scale hasn't moved for me this week, but it is just a matter of time. I am going to the gym everyday and making changes to what I am eating..so it will come. Patience grasshopper :)

Jen415
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey Louie: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.....just like what we have to do with getting healthy--take it one bite at a time. Your patience will be rewarded soon!

I seem to go back and forth feeling good about myself and NOT....I do know feeling good feels better, so I will concentrate on that! :)

soon2beslim
01-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone,

Just checking in to let you know I'm still here. Been very busy with work, house, kids, kids sports, and trying to keep time for myself. Will catch up with everyones posts later.

Have a great day!!

newstart33
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone, can I join you? I was on another thread, but it was quite slow and it felt like I was the only one there. I need more support than that! :)

I haven't read the entire thread, but went back a couple of pages and you all seem like a great bunch of motivators.

Hope to get to know you all better.

Bev

jillybean720
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Welcome, newstart33!

I'm doing pretty horribly food-wise. It's the eating out that keeps getting me. I have been better about taking home leftovers and such so I don't completely stuff myself, but I still am not making healthy choices, and we still end up getting dessert sometimes (last night was ColdStone ice cream).

I told Jeff I'm starting South Beach next week, either Sunday or Monday (depending on when I get a chance to go grocery shopping next). I asked him if he was going to do it with me (he doesn't need to lose much weight, but eating healthier is good for anybody), and he said he'll eat whatever I make. He's such a good boy :p

I did South Beach once in the past and had a bit of success with it, so hopefully I can do it again. The first 2 weeks are the toughest, but I eat a pretty high protein diet anyway, so hopefully it won't be too bad to just cut out the carbs for a short period. At least I get to add fruit back in in Phase 2 (after the first 2 weeks). I'll have to borrow the book from the library this weekend to refresh myself on the specifics of Phase 1.

Jen415
01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Welcome Bev!

Slim, get back here when you can!!

Jill: Good luck with South Beach! I know several folks that have been successful on it. And since you are already used to high protein, it shouldnt be too bad! How does a day on South Beach end up calorie wise?

Eating out is a pitfall of mine too.....it's a trap, that's for sure! Although I feel successful in one instance. We went to Applebees and I got the 3 course thing where you get a starter, entree and dessert. I chose the ceaser salad as a starter (pretty small, about half the size of the dinner salad), entree of 9 oz sirloin, onion rings and mac and cheese (I ended up not eating either side item because they were gross and only 1/2 the steak) and then a chocolate mousse "shooter", a small dessert. I think I did pretty well! It's not ALWAYS that successful though...:(

missingmyerica
01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't kept up. I started physical therapy this week and I was cleared to start swimming for exercise!:carrot: I've been nursing this ankle injury for the better part of 3 months now and I'm so ready to get my life back! As of last week, I am out of my walking cast and now just wearing an elastic brace. Woohoo. I'm still a bit nervous, but at least I can drive again!

Anyway, I joined a deep water aerobics class and today was my first class. OMG....I LOVED it!!! I am a total spaz, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. What a work out....I didn't realize how out of shape I am. I mean I KNOW I'm out of shape...but geez....I was huffing and puffing! :( I also signed up to get some personal swimming lessons. I'm a good swimmer, but I want to learn to swim like the people who swim the lanes. You know, the technique and all. Seems like the pool is where I'll be getting most of my exercise for the next few months, so it's lucky I love the water.

Luvz2Teach
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Hellooooooooo everyone! Just checking in with you guys. I have been super busy this week and haven't been online that much.

Not really sure what to say about my eating.. In a word - inconsistent. Some days I'm totally OP and others I'm way off plan. Yesterday I chose Subway with no cheese and apples for a side but today I had cherry cobbler with lunch and overate for dinner. I'm trying not to get down on myself, but I really feel like a self-saboteur. Ah well... tomorrow is another day...

Glad to see that everyone is doing well and still hanging in there!

newstart33
01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the welcomes.

Missing, good for you for signing up for a water aerobics class. Sounds like fun. It's great that you can still get some exercise even with a bad ankle.

Jilly, good luck with the South Beach diet. I need to revamp my plan as well. I have been doing great so far and today I ate when I wasn't really hungry and had some sweets to top it off.:nono: Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

As for today, I have not exercised. Yesterday I did an aerobics video and I am so sore today that I can't hardly go down stairs. I had intentions of doing it again today, but didn't and now it is late. I feel terrible that I have eaten bad, plus didn't exercise.:ink:

Tomorrow is supposed to be weigh in day, but am going to hold out until monday when my Mom phones (we weigh in together, but I started a few days before her)

Night everyone, have a great day tomorrow.

Bev

jillybean720
01-11-2008, 07:25 AM
How does a day on South Beach end up calorie wise?
I will let you know! I'll be tracking my intake not only for carbs, but also for calories, and I know when eating so many things like meat and cheese, I'll also have to watch my sodium (I'm sure it will be high--I'll try to get some potassium and lots of water as well). I"m still going to avoid trans fats as much as humanly possible, but I'm sure my saturated fat intake will increase a bit despite my use of lean meats and turkey products to substitute for red meat. I'll just track EVERYTHING, and we'll see how it comes out. I think Phase 1 (the first 2 weeks of practically no carbs) will be the worst for me nutritionally, but once I can start adding healthy carbs back in in Phase 2, hopefully things will level out a bit.

Slashnl
01-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone. I'm back. It's been about a week since I've been able to post anything because my computer here at home was down. Then, at work, they're starting to monitor email usage and websites that are accessed during the day, so I couldn't really get on from work either. While I understand that they need to do this because there are some big time abusers of the system, it really affects the ones that don't abuse the system, get their work done, and use their breaks to check websites. Oh well. That's the way it goes. I guess I'll start taking breaks and chit chat with fellow workers. Isn't that beneficial......

I have been terrible this week. I was way out of control with food and haven't been able to get any exercise because of the snow storms. I can do a little bit inside, but it isn't like walking outside. So, since I have a few personal days that I need to take before the end of February, I took off today to get my head on straight. I need to regroup a little bit, make some plans, and get back on track. I have some other things to do today, too, but mainly this is a mental health day for me.

Good luck to everyone else today!!

jillybean720
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
...Then, at work, they're starting to monitor email usage and websites that are accessed during the day, so I couldn't really get on from work either. While I understand that they need to do this because there are some big time abusers of the system, it really affects the ones that don't abuse the system, get their work done, and use their breaks to check websites.
They've been doing this at my office, too. But on a day of frustration, I decided I didn't care, that if they wanted to fire me (a hard-working, never late, intelligent, mature employee) for using a non-work-related website for a few minutes a day, then that's their problem :p No one has said anything to me about it yet, and they started tracking internet usage back in like May or June. They've also completely blocked access to some sites, and not just "inappropriate" sites, but also things like MySpace. I guess that's how we know if we're on a site too much--it suddenly gets blocked :dizzy:

Jen415
01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
They'be blocked MySpace and YouTube at my company too...which is fine since I don't have a MySpace account (am I the only one in the world that doesn't??) and I watch YouTube stuff at home.

I finally went grocery shopping last night. I realize though that I didnt get everything I needed, so I will have to go back again...ah well....

I haven't been bringing my lunch to work for a long time now, and I think I will start doing that again. That way both my banks (my calorie bank and my money bank!) will both benefit. That's going to take some planning on my part, but I will have time to do that this weekend!

Have a great day/weekend!!

newstart33
01-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Jen, good idea about bringing your lunch to work with you. It is way too easy to slip if you eat out. I know that I can only make healthy decisions a couple of times before I blow it and have some fries or something.

Jilly, I am not even allowed to use my computer at work for anything other than checking email and checking the intranet. I don't mind because I am so busy that I don't usually have time to miss it. Of course I don't work everyday so that helps.

Diane, nice that you took the day off just for you. Time to regroup and find a plan. Have a great day.

As for me, I am waiting for my husband to go to work so I can do my aerobics video, because let's face, nobody needs to see me do that.:exercise::o Good workout though.

Good luck today everyone.

soon2beslim
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone,

Welcome Bev.

Good luck with south beach Jill. I've never tried that plan.

Diane: sometimes all we need is some time to ourselves to regroup and take control again. I'm sure next week will be a better one.

I had a good week. I was able to get to curves every night and I got up monday, wednesday, and today early to hop on the treadmill for 1/2 hr. Today was hard to get up early, but I did it!! I ate well for the most part too.
I will weigh in on Monday am.

Hope you all have a good weekend. I will try to pop in before monday.

Slashnl
01-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone. Well I think I got it back together yesterday. It was nice to check out for the day and regroup a little. I have a lot to do this weekend, but I'm well rested after yesterday!

Jill, good luck with SB. I've heard that it works really well for a lot of people.

Newstart: I wouldn't exercise in front of anyone either. Then I pay more attention to them watching rather than what I'm doing! Hard to focus!

Jen: You are not alone. I don't have a myspace and I haven't let my kids get into that yet either. I don't understand it well enough to use it!

Soon2be: Good for you! Keep up the good work and you'll have a great weigh in!

jillybean720
01-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Happy Saturday, all! I'm battling a bit of a headache today--not sure why, as I got plenty of sleep last night and haven't done anything differently that I can think of. Just one of those PITA headaches that will hopefully decide to go away soon.

Today is cleaning day in our house--Jeff's father and girlfriend (who is the same age as me and Jeff) and their 2-year-old baby girl are coming to visit on Monday, so we're cleaning today. I've cleaned the whole kitchen/dining area (it's a long eat-in kitchen with an island) and pooper-scooped the front yard. Jeff's been working on cleaning the basement (entertainment room and office area). We'll tackle the living room and bedroom together, and then we should be good to go. We're pretty good at keeping our bathrooms clean, so they'll only require a quick swirl of a toilet brush and should be done. How 2 adults (and 2 puupies) can clutter up a house so quickly, I'll never know...

Of course, cleaning always just gets my mind thinking about all the things I'd like to do to this place. I'd like to refinish the kitchen cabinets, get new countertops, get an area rug for under the dining table, paint the walls in the kitchen, living room, bathrooms, and bedrooms (everything is just beige right now), fix the broken curtain rod in the living room, hang curtains in the bedrooms, get a sliding screen door for the doors out to the deck, refinish the end tables in the living room, paint and slipcover the glider chair, get a storm door for the front door...

Hopefully, by actually sticking to my new way of eating, we'll be eating out MUCH less frequently, which will save us a lot of money to do all these other things I want to do. I figure we average about $30 a day eating out (sometimes less than 20 bucks at Subway, sometimes closer to $50 at the steakhouse), and we do that at least 5 times a week :o You do the math--we should be able to afford new countertops in no time ;)

Louie
01-12-2008, 11:09 PM

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I have been away for the past 2 days and just got home about an hour ago. Will try to catch up with a :coffee: in the morning, but just wanted to drop in and say hello.

Ciao :D

jillybean720
01-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Please come join us in the new weekly thread, "Losing Weight in 2008! Thread #2" located here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1997662&posted=1#post1997662