100 lb. Club - Butter or Margarine?

View Full Version : Butter or Margarine?

Charbar
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm trying to do natural - whole foods. Fat - what do you use? Shockingly, we all need it. What do you use and why?
Don't tell me you don't use butter or margarine - you must have one of them in your house.

GirlyGirlSebas
12-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I use 'I Cant Believe Its Not Butter' spray on my veggies and Lite Smart Balance spread on my bread, etc.

Trazey34
12-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I admit it - i use butter! I don't use much (ie no more crusty white bread, sigh...) but when I cook, I find a smidgen of butter and a smidgen of EVOO makes anything heavenly -- the butter for the taste, and the evoo for the high heat won't burn thing LOL, so good!

and for some weird reason i'd much rather have a tiny smidgen of something that came from a cow or a plant than something manufactured -- considering the junk i used to shovel in, it's a strange turn of events LOL

Nori71
12-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Butter baby! :yes: I use Organic Valley's European Style Cultured Butter. It's out of this world, even very small amounts of it on veggies are wonderful!

I do use EVOO in lots of cooking though.

Janie Canuck
12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Funny, I was crabbing about this to DH not 20 minutes ago! I have flip-flopped back and forth so many times, because every expert you read gives you conflicting opinions. Right now I use butter, though I just read something that came in the mail saying we should avoid butter and use soft margarine instead. I wish someone would decide once and for all which one is better for you!

rockinrobin
12-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Honestly, I don't use either very often. I NEVER have bread and butter, NEVER butter my veggies, I don't use it in my oatmeal. So, what's left? And quite honestly, I never liked either to begin with, even back in the day - the 287 lb day.

When I'm sauteeing or grilling or making veggies - it's cooking spray and a bit of olive oil.

When I bake, which is infrequently, I prefer to use the real thing - butter. The calories are the same, so why not go with the authentic product?

Schmoodle
12-27-2007, 01:12 PM
I mostly use EVOO in cooking. Sometimes canola oil.
I use Smart Balance for spread.
And I use regular mayo vs. reduced fat, because it's made with healthy fats.
I do keep butter on hand and use it sparingly in cooking. DH hates margarine, so he uses it, but it lasts us a long time.

Slashnl
12-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Butter! You just have to limit how much. I just don't think that margarine can possibly good for you when it has nearly the same chemical makeup as plastic. Spooky!

JerseyGyrl
12-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm an Atkins girl so of course I use BUTTER! I use it in moderation. I also use EVOO.

For those of you that use butter...you MUST try Irish butter (Kerigold)...its delish!!!

jillybean720
12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I honestly don't pay much attention to whether the front of the package says butter or margarine--I just look at the nutritional information and the price. I usually buy the fat free Promise soft spread (I'm assuming it's a margarine--5 calories per tablespoon) or the Brummel & Brown spread that's made with yogurt. We don't use it a lot, though, as we never have bread and butter (except on holidays); I'd say we only go through maybe 3 of those little plastic tubs in a year, and even that may be a high estimate. I almost never bake, and if I do, I often use applesauce in place of the butter/oil. When cooking, I use oil (olive oil or macadamia nut oil) and cooking spray.

SoulBliss
12-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Earth Balance margarine is natural. I like the "whipped" one, as it is organic. Both are free of hydrogenated oils and cholesterol.

JayEll
12-27-2007, 01:59 PM
I use olive oil for dressings and PAM for cooking. I use butter very rarely for flavoring. I avoid margarine.

The trick is the amount...

Jay

GirlyGirlSebas
12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
OMG, this is too funny! I was thinking that EVOO was a new product......only to just now realize that its olive oil!:dizzy: Yes, we use olive oil in almost all of our recipes for Southbeach.

SoulBliss
12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Extra Virgin Coconut oil is my first choice, really.

BattleAx
12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Butter all the way, baby! I can't stand the taste and smell of margarine, and the idea of the chemicals it took to make it look and taste somewhat butter-like. I use olive oil more than butter. Natural, delicious foods can't be beat.

althepirate
12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Butter and EVOO.

My whole theory is this....I shouldn't have to sacrifice taste to lose weight, and quite frankly, I hate the taste and feel of margarine. I just don't use much of it, and tend to only eat a bit of the stuff I use it in.

kaplods
12-27-2007, 03:33 PM
The poll needs at least one other option. "It depends."

The fats my husband and I have and/or use in our home on a fairly regular basis:

a good quality butter we buy from a local butter and cheese maker - and use very sparingly. (It takes so long to use one stick that we usually freeze the other three so they don't absorb fridge odors).
Smart Balance or other soft reduced fat margarines (whatever's on sale)
Cooking spray (olive oil, butter flavored, or canola oil - whatever looks good or is on sale)
Bacon (once in a great while, maybe a couple times a year)
Canola oil
Extra virgin olive oil
Walnut oil (wonderful for homemade salad dressings)
peanut or more likely cashew, or almond butter (I prefer the cashew or almond butters. Not only because they taste better, but they're so darned expensive that I use it very sparingly
Sunflower seeds and nuts (we buy individual packages from a discount store to impede binging)

mom2mollie
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
It looks like butter is the winner so far! We don't use it because of the cholesterol.
We use Smart Balance Light, just because we use it so infrequently that butter goes bad during that time, and I'm a CHEAPSKATE.
But we use EVOO on pasta and for cooking, sauteeing, eggs, etc. It just tastes better and I feel so... European. ahem.
I try to use applesauce as a fat substitute for baking. Yummy.

queennmab
12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I use water or vegetable broth for sauteing. Butter flavored cooking spray for popcorn. And fat free Promise for everything else.

Smiling_Sara
12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Butter here!

Sheila53
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Hhmm, that's interesting. Six or seven people mentioned that they use margarine, yet only two voted for it in the poll. Perhaps I'm not up on what the definition of margarine is. I use Smart Balance light, which is not butter so I assume it's margarine??

Charbar
12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree Sheila... if it's not butter or oil.. it's margarine. If it comes in a plastic container - it's margarine.

Spinymouse
12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
If the choice is butter or margarine, then BUTTER.

I get goat butter.

I never use margarine.

I do not use fats or oils to spread on things but I only use them as ingredients in cooking. Depending on what I am cooking, sometimes oil is the preferred choice. Usually it is EVOO; sometimes peanut oil, (if I am cooking an asian dish,) or canola if I want a neutral flavor.

rakel
12-27-2007, 04:57 PM
If it's between butter and margarine and butter, I voted for butter, but I also use a lot of olive oil for cooking and adding flavor. Butter is good for some things -- baked foods, some recipes, on the rare occasion I might have toast, etc. But it just kinda depends what I have in the house and what the purpose is.

BerkshireGrl
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
I prefer the taste of butter so much more than margarine! :T

I try not to use a lot of it though, tasty as it is, it can pack a wallop of calories.

I consider "margarine" to be any vegetable oil or soy oil or lowfat dairy spread in a plastic tub. I've used Earth Balance (soybean base) and Brummel & Brown (yogurt base) in the past too. Growing up, my mom, a big Weight Watchers adherent, had us using regular store-brand margarine... I guess the common wisdom in the 70s and 80s was that butter was bad for you, at least until they discovered trans fats. 'Course, now-a-days, most margarines have been tweaked to have less or no trans fats.

In pretty much all of my diet, I go for the natural product over the more designed stuff. I do use olive oil in cooking too though, especially in pan sauteing when butter would burn quickly.

But I guess I'm in the butter-using minority ;) According to Margarine.org from the National Association of Margarine Manufacturers:

History of Margarine
Although it has been around for over a century, margarine was not always the preferred tablespread in the U.S. In 1930, per capita consumption of margarine was only 2.6 pounds (vs. 17.6 pounds of butter). Times have changed for the better, though. Today, per capita consumption of margarine in the U.S. is 8.3 pounds (including vegetable oil spreads) whereas butter consumption is down to about 4.2 pounds. Research studies have shown that the shift within populations around the world - from the highly saturated fat content of butter to vegetable oil-based margarines - have contributed significantly to the reduced risk of heart disease.

So margarine is kicking butter's butt after a long and storied battle dating back to 1870... Thanks to Napoleon III :lol:

tamaralynn
12-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I've grown up eating margarine... Todd butter.

We use Margarine most often here, but butter for special recipes or sometimes popcorn.

gina1221
12-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Add me to list of butter and EVOO users. For some asian dishes or pork chops, I'll use 1 tsp of dark sesame oil.

Shy Moment
12-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I am never going to give up taste to lose weight. I eat as natural as I can. We buy fresh made butter around here. Use it sparingly but use it none the less. While reading a package of butter and a package of margarine at the store. Butter would win out every time with me. There isn't that much more bad for us in butter and sure not all the chemicals.

Pita09
12-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I gave up margarine years ago when I found out how disgusting it is to put into the body. I switched to butter, but now that I'm eating healthy I mostly use EVOO, sprays, and only occasionally use butter.

SuchAPrettyFace
12-28-2007, 01:21 AM
Margarine is so much worse for you than butter could ever be. Of course butter is not great for you either.

I use olive oil for certain things, butter (unsalted of course) for others & for still others I use Smart Balance NOW WITH FLAXSEED OIL. Margarine = hydrogenated so I am allergic anyway.

Everything in moderation. Including moderation. ;)

math puppy
12-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Butter! You just have to limit how much. I just don't think that margarine can possibly good for you when it has nearly the same chemical makeup as plastic. Spooky!

i have also been made aware of the fact taht margarine is only a few chemicals away from plastic....ugh!! thats not food!
i try to eat food that is as close to the earth as possible... so butter it is for me! just not, you know, a deep fried stick of it in one sitting...one smidge per sitting will do.

miss highmaintenence
12-28-2007, 06:06 AM
yummm..butter!

kimmieone
12-28-2007, 07:46 AM
I love butter and when something calls for it I toss it in, or on whatever the case may be. However, I use a lot of Olive Oil too. I'll use natural lard from time to time if I could find it! Yeah I know, but I'm just keeping it real. ;)

kasmin
12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
It really varies for me, but I guess I would have to say good magarine over butter. Although I don't really use either, I'm a more of a soybean / olive / sesame oil kind of gal. Or I use water when "frying." (guess that would be more like steaming?:p)

Beverlyjoy
12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
For cooking I use Pam Canola Spray or extra virgin olive oil.

I use 'I Cant Believe Its Not Butter' spray or Smart Balance Lite spread on my veggies, oatmeal, bread etc.

knitsforfive
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Earth Balance

Sheila53
12-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Margarine is so much worse for you than butter could ever be.

I really think it depends on the margarine and your health issues. Butter is full of artery-clogging saturated fat, and if you have heart health issues like high cholesterol, butter can do some damage.

According to the Mayo Clinic, "Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats polyunsaturated and monounsaturated than butter is. These types of fat help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol, when substituted for saturated fat." However, because of the trans fat issue, you need to choose one with the lowest trans fat content (look for tub margarine). Also, there are a lot of new spreads out there that are plant-based and can help reduce LDL (the bad cholesterol).

I think both have some health consequences so it's just a matter of what kind of health consequences affect you the most.

nylisa
12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I try to substitute olive oil/non fat dressing whenever I can (cooking, with veggies), but certain things (bagels or buttered popcorn from time to time) do call out for it. I just make sure I eat those things in moderation. I don't like the taste of margarine.

dek6
12-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Ever since I saw Dr oz on Oprah and he said that margarine is only a few chemicals away from being plastic and he demonstrated what it does in your arteries I dont use it. I mostly use EVOO and I cant believe its not butter spray. I use butter on my toast.

Bloomer
12-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Butter. I try not to eat any trans-fats. I have to cut back on it. I use it on vegetables mostly, and a thin spread on bread, two slices a day. I can't imagine living without any butter, but I limit the use. (I'm on WW, so if I stay within points, I figure I'm okay. I use 4 points for butter a day. Somehow, even though in my off-program days, I think I'm made of butter, I have low cholesterol.)

jillybean720
12-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Ever since I saw Dr oz on Oprah and he said that margarine is only a few chemicals away from being plastic and he demonstrated what it does in your arteries I dont use it.
I really think it depends on the margarine you use. Check the labels--all margarines are NOT created equal. Many now have zero trans fats and are packed with vitamins and minerals. I think that margarine = plastic is a bit of an outdated idea with the variety of "buttery spreads" available today (even if it was recently on Oprah--yes, some margarines are pretty evil, but I don't think it's a fair blanket statement).

I'm not saying that people who don't use margarine are wrong--just trying to point out that people who DO use margarine are not necessarily eating eavil in a tub ;)

SuchAPrettyFace
12-29-2007, 12:35 AM
I really think it depends on the margarine and your health issues. Butter is full of artery-clogging saturated fat, and if you have heart health issues like high cholesterol, butter can do some damage.

According to the Mayo Clinic, "Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats polyunsaturated and monounsaturated than butter is. These types of fat help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol, when substituted for saturated fat." However, because of the trans fat issue, you need to choose one with the lowest trans fat content (look for tub margarine). Also, there are a lot of new spreads out there that are plant-based and can help reduce LDL (the bad cholesterol).

I think both have some health consequences so it's just a matter of what kind of health consequences affect you the most.

After I wrote that I remembered that Smart Balance is...margarine. ;)

And how funny you cite Mayo Clinic, guess where I just back from. :lol:

Daimere
12-29-2007, 12:45 AM
I never use better or margarine. I don't see the point. My steamed vegitables taste yummy without it so why bother?

Shy Moment
12-29-2007, 12:48 AM
My daughter came home from school the other day. The subject in her science class, margarine lol. She was shown that margarine is about 1 molecule away from plastic. They watched a video how it was made and talked about all the stuff in it. She now says she would die before she eats the stuff lol. She told me about this today so I thought I would share the information lol.

FresnoBeeDude
12-29-2007, 04:55 AM
I have no desire to use either. I do use "I can't believe its not butter" spray on my popcorn. Jillian Michaels, either in her book, or on TBL found out a contestant was using this. She pointed out (label claims 0 calories, fat, etc) that because it has like 1g of carbs per spray, that equates to 4 calories, and that means they were using hundred's of calories at a time. I have heard this same argument about Splenda. Any thoughts on either??

walking2lose
12-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Butter definitely! I eat it very rarely though, and like others, use mostly olive oil to cook. I hate the slick, Crisco-ish texture of margarine, dislike the taste, and have read for years (from many experts from Dr. Weil to Dr. Oz) that a tad of real butter is preferable to margarine. Even the better margarines (without transfats) have undergone complex processes to become margarine. There's a good deal of research that many processed foods are detrimental to health, if not in the short term, then in the long term. It's hard to avoid them though, but I would like to at least minimize my exposure to them.

In fact, I have a resolution to eat less processed foods in general for '08, and my big challenge will be getting off of splenda, which I put in my morning coffee. I'm such a wuss when it comes to drinking black coffee, that it occurs to me that I may need to wean off coffee. But I plan to try stevia or something first.

Anyone use a natural sweetner like stevia in coffee? How is it?

xJox
12-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I dont really use it often. I use I cant believe its not butter spray and then Michael has something called PROMISE in there that he uses sometimes.

Kriss
12-30-2007, 05:30 AM
HI! I use mostly EVOO or water to cook in. If a recipie needs butter I'll use it . But you kinda get over it after a while. I would rather use oil, water or some kind of fruit { for baked stuff to hold stuff together} I worked in a health food store about a million {22} years ago. It was a real crunchy, hippie ,authentic whole foods place plus we had herbs , vits etc. Alot of stuff that people are freaking out about now days has been known for years. Antioxidants, live foods, fiber and butter to name a few. Do I think butter is great for us??? No, but its real!