Old 12-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #1  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Default I finally beat diabetes!

A blog I just posted on Myspace.

Due to an automobile accident the night before Thanksgiving, my mode of transportation now consists of a 24 speed bicycle (a Trek my brother had bought years ago, rarely used, put into storage), a public bus, and helpful friends. The bicycle was meant to be pulled out of storage a year ago to help in my weight loss journey.

I am no longer diabetic!

On November 30th, I made my first major bicycle ride to Hanford, to do a 3 hour blood glucose tolerance test. According to diabetes.org, if the test, at the end of 2 hours shows that my blood sugar is less then 140 I am "normal." 140-200 is considered pre-diabetic, 200+...well your screwed! When I found out about this test, I had asked my doctor to order it. He predicted that because my fasting levels were "high" (95ish) that I would be pre-diabetic. I suggested that I would be normal, as my levels 2 hour after eating are 95-110. He then ordered this test. Evidently, the 3 hour test is only given to a pregnant woman, a 2 hour test is ordered for the rest. Oh well. I fasted for 12 hours prior to this test. I was given a 75g carbohydrate drink (for pregnant women this would have been 100g). While my blood (and urine) was drawn, I did my own unofficial testings (using my One Touch meter):

Fasting: 94
30 mins: 169
1 hour: 166
2 hour: 102
3 hour: 76

Urine at all testings was tested negative for sugars

Normal Values:

For a 75-gram oral glucose tolerance test used to check for type 2 diabetes, normal (nondiabetic) blood values are:

* fasting: 60 to 110 mg/dL
* 1 hour: less than 200 mg/dL
* 2 hours: less than 140 mg/dL. Between 140-200 mg/dL is considered impaired glucose tolerance. This group is at increased risk for developing diabetes. Greater than 200 mg/dL is diagnostic of diabetes mellitus

My official lab results (doctor's appointment on 12/21/07)

Fasting: 89
30 mins: 153
1 hour: 154
2 hour: 80
3 hour: 70

According to my dietitian and doctor both agree that the sugars should be under 169 at the 1st hour mark to be considered "normal." As you can see my meter was slightly higher then the lab results, but both results clearly show that I am peaking at the 1/2 hour mark Regardless, this test proved to me that I no longer have diabetes! I had asked my dietitian and doctor both, if they would agree to allow me to stop testing myself. I pointed out that my numbers are consistent, and there is a definite pattern involved. Regardless of the meal, my sugars range 85-120 (though I haven't tested my theory and downed a large meat lover's Pizza Hut pie). My dietitian said she is normally against diabetics stopping, as this will make them "lazy" (meaning diet-wise). But then she also understands my plight. She suggested I do random testings throughout the week. When I asked my doctor, he agreed that I should no longer have to test myself 6 times a day, but he wants me to test once a day. One day at fasting, the next day before bed. Eventually he said I can do a random 2-3 times a week.

Bodyfat measuring

On December 10th, a friend (Linda B) took me to Fresno State college so that I could have my bodyfat measured via hydrostatic weighing. I knew the BMI charts were inaccurate in my case, as I have been building up muscle mass with this weight loss. I knew 33.6 BMI wasn't right. A way to measure bodyfat is to use calipers and pinch certain areas of the skin to get a reading. Again, because of my loose skin, a accurate reading couldn't be obtained. I knew hydrostatic weighing was my only option. At first I was going to do this procedure in San Diego (when I could find the time, and the money). But then a trainer at my gym told me Fresno State was equipped with this. I am now measured at 5'9" (this changes from 5'8" - 5'10"). Actually I am 175.5cm, or 69.09 inches.

My bodyfat registered at 29.2%!!! What does this mean? According to this chart, I am still considered obese, but quickly closing in on acceptable range:

Description Women Men
Essential fat 12–15% 2–5%
Athletes 16–20% 6–13%
Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
Acceptable 25–31% 18–25%
Obese 32%+ 25%+

According to the computers calculations, if I get down to 200.45lbs (199 is my ultimate goal) this will put me at a bodyfat of 15%. I even realize this seems too low, considering where I was on 1/1/06. According to the computer when I get down to 227.17lbs, I will be at 25%. 207.78lbs will put me at 18%. The computer also show that my active metabolic rate is 3262 calories. I understand that these are guesstimates only, but it helps me put things into prospective. I will be re-scheduling this test in 3 months. I will continue to diet and exercise until then. At this point I will weigh out (no pun intended) my future weight loss goals)

I have been at a plateau since 10/31/07 (No! I did not pig put on Halloween candies!!). My weight right now is between 235-240lbs. Yes, I have become a tad lazy since Halloween with my diet, and because of the accident, I hadn't been going out to the gym as often as I wanted. I have made mental changes starting last week. I have gone back to the gym (takes 45mins to ride 9.2 miles). I have kept a tighter control on the diet. I am back to weighing myself daily.

Clarify some mis-information

Lastly my story has appeared on a weight loss success stories blog. You can see my story by scrolling down to Dec 10th, 2007. While I did admit to the reporter that I "think" I weighed as much as 550lbs (I had myself weighed on a truck scale, I think this is the weight they had told me, but unfortunately that put me in denial). I did officially weigh in at 510lbs on 1/1/06. I am down to 235lbs now, for a total weight loss of 275lbs. I haven't weighed 225lbs since high school I started my weight loss journey on 1/1/06. I have mentioned this on my homepage here on MySpace. It was my diagnosis of type 2 Diabetes that really got the ball rolling on 6/1/06. On 1/1/08 will mark my 2 year anniversary of my lifestyle change

Last edited by FresnoBeeDude; 12-23-2007 at 07:11 PM.
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #2  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Wow, I am thrilled for you! All your hard work is paying off. Congrats in getting to the normal range for BMI. That is a MAJOR accomplishment.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #3  
Reaching My Goal in 2008

S/C/G: 328/203/180

Height: 5'5"

That's awesome. I too beat diabetes through prayer to God and changing my eating habits...and dropping 120 plus pounds. Way to go! HIGH FIVE!
mrsdstarks is offline   Reply With Quote