Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 03:28 PM   #1  
Big Loser

Default Roast Chicken

This is really good.....

1 large roasting chicken or hen..I buy a big one (6 or more lb hen)

Wash well, rub the skin with fresh garlic cloves

insert 3 or 4 garlic cloves in the cavity along with

2 tbs basil
2 tbs oregano
2 tbs tyme

put a little butter in the pan and roast on 325

Baste it every once in a while.

We eat it for dinner and then again in chicken salad etc during the week....ENJOY!
Old 01-29-2002, 11:28 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Default That sounds good!

I use the recipe for sticky chicken that is all over the web. Oh my, that is wonderful too. My only problem is that I can never find a large chicken. 4 pounds is big for around here. Very rarely do I find a big one. Any secrets?
Old 01-30-2002, 06:37 AM   #3  
Big Loser

I ask the meat man at our grocery store to order me a big chicken every week, he is happy to do so!!! I also make it with a small turkey if I can't get a chicken.....I am going to try the sticky chicken next.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:28 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Default I have lost my mind

I swear I posted back to this earlier today, but where did it go?

Hmm, anyway, I never thought of asking the butcher to order me a chicken. Good idea! Here is the sticky chicken recipe:

Original recipe by Mimi Hiller, as modified by Lynn Nelson:

4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup onion -- chopped

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in zipper food storage bag, seal and refrigerate overnight or freeze.

When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast uncovered at 250 degrees for 5 hours.

After the first hour, baste chicken every 30 minutes with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of the pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. Let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.

A note about Sticky Chicken and food safety:
This revered Internet recipe has appeared online since 1991, and has been enjoyed at home by thousands of families.
However, modern food safety guidelines do not recommend cooking poultry at the low temperature given in this recipe. The US Department of Agriculture recommends cooking poultry at oven temperatures of 325 degrees or higher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, when I saw the recipe (listed elsewhere) I read a disclaimer saying contrary to popular belief, 250 degrees was ok as long as the internal temp reached 165 degrees. I didn't see this disclaimer until tonite! While looking up temp requirements just now (doublechecking my 165 degrees) I found an interesting site. Says we can get food poisoning anywhere from 20 minutes to 6 weeks after eating bacteria poisoned food! Ewwww!
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/thermy/bro_text.htm

If cooking at 325 degrees, I am not sure when it would be done. I would probably check at 2.5 hours and every 30 minutes after that.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:26 PM   #5  
Big Loser

I made this tonite it was great!!!!!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:13 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Default What Temp?

Hey Rachel, what temperature did you cook it at? I am curious as to how tender it turns out when cooked at a higher temp. I cooked it at 250 and it completely fell apart. Yum!
Old 02-25-2002, 07:08 AM   #7  
Low Carb since 4/28/99

I have trouble finding the really big chickens too so I always cook two of the biggest ones I can find (around 4 pounds) we eat what we want for dinner and then I have the rest for breaky and/or lunches. YUM!

BTW I always cook at the 250 temp and have never had any problems.

ThatGirl
Old 04-06-2002, 08:00 AM   #8  
Big Loser

I cooked the chicken for both recipes at around 300 degrees. They are fabulous!!!!
Old 05-03-2002, 04:41 PM   #9  
Senior Chicky

You guys are definately making me wish I thawed out chicken for tonight. Sticky chicken is on the menu for next week!

I have the same problem....chickens around four pounds. I also have to cook two.

J
Closed Thread