PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #1  
Long Journey

S/C/G: 350/350/175

Height: 5'10"

Talking 350 lbs...IR just started Glucophage...(MET)

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago. I pretty much ignored it. Why? I don't know. I guess that I was stupid. Well..now I have PCOS and am Insulin Resistant. I've pretty much got every single sign and symptom except for the thinning hair. Surprisingly my hair is SO THICK!! Anyways the DR. just put me on glucophage (metformin) and I was just curious if anyone else has tried it or is on it? I have been on it for a month and I can already tell that my body is different. How? I'm not sure. I feel fuller quicker. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but who cares...LOL It helps. I've already dropped 6 pounds this week and I hope I lose more later. Well..any words of wisdom would be fantastic!

Thanks!!

Last edited by lovegoddess1977; 12-22-2007 at 06:06 PM.
lovegoddess1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287/268/150

Height: 5'6

Yeah, I took Glucaphage for YEARS! I hated it though, they had me taking 4 1000mg tablets/day. It caused nausea for me, I never liked the stuff. It did make me lose weight, but it just made me feel like poo all the time. I'm about to go to a different endocrinologist soon to see if he can try something else out with me? There is a new drug out (the names escapes me right now) so I'm pretty eager to see what he has to say. If the Glucophage is working for you and you feel good, you are VERY lucky. I wish I would have felt better taking it- I would probably lose weight a lot faster than I do. Goodluck!!!
angemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #3  
I Will Be Half of Me

S/C/G: 313/312/150 or below

Height: 5'6"

I've got a Rx for it, but I haven't started taking it yet... but that's some great results! Ok... I'm on it!

Thanks!
Heather Blue Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #4  

I was on metformin er 1000mgs a day and had no results. My Dr is changing me to a different type of metformin so we'll see if it help. I've had it I'm all the way up to 460lbs I'm so frustrated! I would love to say I try to stick to my diet but I'm so hungry all the time I have no luck dieting.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:46 AM   #5  

I’ve been taking Metformin for around two years, I love it! Once you get over the initial side effects it can be a wonder drug… it certainly helped me!
Moosegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I've been on it almost a year now. I started at 1000mg & then in the summer upped it to 1500mg. I haven't found it to be any kind of weightloss wonder drug (believe me I've fought for every single pound) but I did find it made some differences in my cycle.

I do have 2 friends however who both lost a good amount & got pregnant on it (one the 2nd month). That is the main reason I am on it - to get pregnant.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

Hi girls!

My Dr. put me on Glumetza, which is the same drug as Metformin I believe, but it's the brand name. She said there are much less side effects! Also, EAT IT WITH FOOD! And I don't mean a cheese stick - eat it with a significant meal. It makes a huge difference. They're not lying when they put that on the bottle! I'm working my way up to 2000 mg day. So far I'm at 1500 mg with really no issues.
SoulCyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #8  

I am new to the boards so I am just gonna jump in. I have been taking Metformin on and off for the last 6 months. It was hard for me to remember it 3 times a day, but luckily my doc told me I cold take all 3 at once. I've been on it for 4 weeks in a roll now. The first week was so hard. I was low-carbing and thought that would help with the side effects but it didn't. I was constantly in the bathroom and it was not pleasant. The second week was a little better. The third week I got worried because I had a birthday and allowed myself some extras, going out to dinner and birthday cake. I thought that would reek havok on my body, but it didn't. Once I got past the initial two weeks the symptoms have gone away completely and I have even lost 13 pounds
jazzistar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #9  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

I take Metformin and don't have any problems. After the first month I was on 1000 mg (500 in AM 500 in PM) my cycle regulated. I don't think it has been a wonder drug helping me lose weight - that is the diet, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt.
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297(135) / 218(99) / 176(80)

Height: Just shy of 6'

Weirdest 'side effect' I got from Metformin was, I think, actually the result of my body fixing that whole IR issue...food started tasting completely different!

Stuff I'd hated all my life suddenly tasted great. For all my adult life I thought raw tomato was bitter and disgusting; suddenly I discovered it was yummy, and my fridge almost always has tomato in it now - I love fresh tomato on toast with basil leaves.

Same thing happened with spinach, same with...oh, lots of stuff. I even discovered I quite like carrots in small doses, although I'm still disinclined to munch on carrot sticks. Weirdly, carrots taste sweetish to me now, where they were always very bitter.

It was the most peculiar thing. It was like once the insane craving for sugars went away, my taste buds just opened up and discovered 'new and exciting' flavours.

It's not noted as a Metformin side-effect, so I really can't provide any good medical reason why it happened, I'm just glad it did. Made eating better a heck of a lot easier, I can tell you.

Last edited by AussieDaria; 02-25-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Just to add: daily dose of 2000mg (1,000 morning and night).
AussieDaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

It is horrible when you start it - even at reduced doses - I have been on the max dose for years now and honestly I can't say its a wonder drug. IF you diet and exercise then it will help control your blood sugar - won't do it alone. My A1C has been 5.9 for almost a year now so I am slowly cutting the Met back on my own. So far so good. You do have to stick it out for a while - and I do hear the controlled release version is easier on the stomach. Eat with meals and try to work through it.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I am on the extended release version, and have had no noticeable side effects at all. For me, I don't think it affected my weight much, but it's brought the blood sugar down quite well.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #13  

I have been on it a year and take 2500mg. I have noticed if I eat high carb foods it play havoc on my stomach. If I eat healthy I have no problems. This still happens. I also take avandia twice a day. Since I have been really watching what I eat and exercising my blood sugars are lower in the mornings. Even after 8 months my fasting bs was in the 150's and now in the low 100's. The other thing I did was change my med times. Instead of breakfast and dinner I started taking noon and bedtime with a glass of milk and a small snack. I think you have to listen to your body and decide what is best for you.
Lisa_WY is offline   Reply With Quote