Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #1  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Long enough to grow a baby!

Today is my 9-month anniversary! I have adhered to an abstinence of 3 meals a day and one snack, no flour, no sugar, no potato chips, and (personal quirk) no Morningstar Farms foods every day for the last 9 months. It has not been perfect. I accidentally drank a whole glass of lemonade once before I realized they gave me the made-with-sugar-instead-of-splenda kind. I've had the occasional creamy sauce thickened with flour. But for the most part, I've been blessed with a steady abstinence. In this time I've lost 32 pounds and 2 clothes sizes. I've also gained two beloved activities (dancing and bicycling) and quite a few new friends.

For me, it is absolutely true that how I respond to food has changed. Fruit is now plenty sweet--I can't imagine eating some of these treats I see this time of year! Excessive fat makes me a bit sick to my stomach. My body is happy with much smaller portions, and honestly doesn't want my full serving, sometimes. Most blessedly of all, it doesn't even occur to me, generally, to eat when I'm trying to work through an emotion or when I'm having a tough day. For today, I have freedom from my compulsions.

I am eternally grateful. I thank my higher power, I thank my new friends, and I thank this program for everything I have been given and have received through OA.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Rockin!

Thanks for sharing your story-- I loved reading it.

I know what you mean about fruit being plenty sweet, and being happy with smaller portions. I'm so thankful that my body is finally in agreement with my mind (most of the time).
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #3  

Wow -congrats. Amazing how our relationship with food changes. I am at day 192 (!) with the three meals a day, no white flour, sugar, other white stuff like rice- basically vegetable carbs and lean protein. Amazing difference and the compulsion for that "stuff" actually recedes over time.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Default Thank you Sidhe

I am so happy for you Sidhe. It’s wonderful to read about your anniversary, and even more so to read about your incredible journey to becoming yourself. Hope – huge hope – is the gift I take from your experience of OA.
I’m doing very well, but food still calls me, especially over emotional issues. I don’t pick up, but it’s tough. But I keep on keepin’ on, because I take on board that people can and do attain great freedom from COE. It helps so much when you say it no longer occurs to you to eat over working through an emotion. Thank you.
You also help me become willing to allow my own food plan to evolve and change and get better. Right now, I’m trying to reduce my portions, and increase my exercise, through the program, and the letting go is lightened by a sense that ‘this too shall pass’, and will become more natural to me. OA is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I am deeply grateful to be in recovery today.
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:16 AM   #5  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Congrats!!!! You have come a long way to your new life!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #6  

Height: 5'10"

Woohoo! That is great sidhe! You are really inspiring me that one day at a time long term abstinence is possible. Thank you.

Totally agree about sweet stuff, it is kind of gross now. Although it is not part of my abstinence to avoid sugar; I find myself becoming very uninterest in unhealthy food - I can't even think of a food I would like to eat right now if I weren't on the programme, unlike when I first started. My folks had a little tea party (mid-afternoon buffet) and I didn't eat anything (because it was between meals for me) and more to the point I didn't want to eat any of it. Recovery is amazing!

Last edited by Malinki; 12-22-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Malinki is offline   Reply With Quote