Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default because I'm Question Girl too, KO....:)

I am reading more about post-op here, from the web and from my dr. and finding that even months after surgery...if I'm not eating (taking 30 min to an hour to eat my 4 oz.), I will be sipping something trying to get down the necessary amount of fluid, counting protein and calories. This time consuming, right? Something I can compulsively focus on, rather then compulsively eating, eh?

At least compulsively for a while. Does it become a normal thing to do?

Another question is...

I have heard that some people have a really rough time for the first 2 ro 3 weeks after surgery... wanting to cry and feeling horribly deprived, like overeating withdrawls, did anyone have that? If you did, what did you do to help yourself?

Ok, sorry for all the questions. I am pouring myself into the process, still a bit worried about my upcoming surgery date.

Thanks

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-20-2007 at 11:05 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #2  

Hi Angela.
I can only answer about the band. Eating is a way of life and isn't difficult at all. I never had any weird crying episodes after surgery, but my surgery was a piece of cake. I was in at 7 and home by noon. I'm 10 months out and am at at my goal of a size 8. Good luck!!!!
Claudia
ClaudiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

angela - you're asking GREAT questions. some people DO go through a period of mourning. after all, for many of us, food has been our best friend and comfort throughout our lives, and whenever we feel ANYTHING, our response is to eat. and we can't do that anymore.

it DOES get easier, but you have to realize that, after surgery, you have the GIFT of a chance to change your life. you get a second chance to live differently, to make different choices. grab it!

the first 3 months aren't easy. the first couple of weeks can be miserable for bypass folks.

as for that 'compulsively throw yourself into' thing. may i suggest that you throw yourself into something that doesn't involve eating or drinking??? something that keeps your hands and mind occupied? it took me awhile to learn that i had to keep moving in one way or another. either my body has to be moving or my mind has to be active. i can't just SIT and stare!!!

so, i knit. anything to not eat.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

For me, it became a little "compulsive" for me to #1...figure out new recipes (high protein, low carb/sugar) and #2.....exercise. I was SOOOOOOO motivated to lose that weight that I made those my "compulsions"......and they were great ones! I guess it all depends on how much you have to lose, etc. but I was 265 the day of my surgery (july 18, 2005) and by April 29, 2006, the day of my wedding less than one year later, I was exactly 100 pounds lighter! And I've lost 15 pounds since the wedding. I have been on a plateau for quite a while.....not gaining but not losing either ,just maintaining, so hopefully I'll get on a good exercise routine here soon and get the rest of the weight off.

That seemed WAY off-topic, but my point of that whole speech was....I never got depressed or anything, I got really focused on my GOAL!

As for withdrawals.......when I had the bypass, it was like I had BRAIN surgery LOL...........I no longer wanted all of that junk. When I saw a piece of chocolate, it kind of disgusted me because I knew what it would do to my body. Same with really greasy foods, KWIM?

Hope that helped!
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #5  

Thanks Jiffy and Fluffy! it really did help! I know myself well enough to be prepared for or expect the worse and go for the best! Ah...I think this list idea needs a new thread!

Angela
Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #6  

And thanks Claudia! You all have really helped!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

For the first few weeks I didn't want to eat at all! There are still days that I have to remind myself to eat. It was more in social situations which were hard. People want to see you eat when you lose weight it's wierd. Anyway you have us to lean on!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote