Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/153.4/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Sort-of-Newbie!

hi all!

my name is em, and while i have been around 3FC for a while, i haven't yet posted in the calorie counter forum. a quick introduction...i'm 24 years old, with about 30 pounds to lose. i lost about 40 pounds last year when i took up running, then several life events caused me to lose focus and 30 pounds crept back on.

last year, i wasn't counting calories, which worked well for me because i tend to get overly obsessive about staying within my range, to the point that it takes over my life. i enjoy healthful food, and don't eat much processed food. so, i know what to eat, i am just eating too much of it! the weekend alcohol consumption isn't helping either. anyway, for some reason, i am having trouble this time around with just trying to make good food decisions, and think that i need some more structure and accountability until i get a better sense of what amount of food is going to help my weight loss efforts.

i think i know the calorie count and serving size for just about every food under the sun...lol...and i know the range of calories i need to eat to lose weight and fuel my running. i am just wondering if any others have struggled with feeling obsessive about calorie counting, and what strategies you have used to deal with these feelings? i enjoy calorie counting for its flexibility in food choices and as a healthy method for weight loss, but i also don't want to turn into a nut about it either!

thanks for any suggestions!
-em
em1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by em1183 View Post
i am just wondering if any others have struggled with feeling obsessive about calorie counting, and what strategies you have used to deal with these feelings? i enjoy calorie counting for its flexibility in food choices and as a healthy method for weight loss, but i also don't want to turn into a nut about it either!
Umm...prolly most of us? For me - food is an obsession. I have chosen to turn my energies to planning healthy choices. Sometimes that even works for me. My other option is not to plan, make bad choices and gain the weight back...I'm not gonna go there.

I'd rather get a little nutty about logging what I eat than follow someone elses eating plan.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Welcome - I know the obsession. I have gotten to the point now where I can get through lunch without logging and be pretty much on track for the day. When I first got started (my first time losing significant weight and this most recent time). I would be in a panic and afraid to eat unless I could log it immediately and see the impact on my day.

The only time I feel that way now is when I am having a crazy day at work and I find I am taking far to many bites of this and nibbles of that. At some point I have to just force myself to take time and log because I feel like I am losing control.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #4  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm pretty similar to you in that I know portion sizes and tend to eat pretty healthy... but my weekend drinking kills me. I'm big on logging everything, so unfortunately I don't have much advice about how to not obsess. Like others, I try to be healthy about it (I've taken up cooking so I can obsess about various flavors and recipes). However, I still definitely think about food more than most people I know.

Good luck!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/see ticker/120

Height: 5.1

Hi Em Im in the same place you are I lost 30 lbs about 7 yours ago its been back for a few years now I get sort of crazy with the calories to but i love the flexibility of it Im looking for a buddy to check in with and help keep each other on tract
Jill
siren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #6  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/153.4/135

thanks for the helpful advice everyone! i am looking forward to getting to know you all better...i think counting calories is going to be my best bet for now. maybe i will just have to limit the number of times i log each day, and plan a variety of options for each meal...ironically even though calorie counting gives the most flexibility in food choices, i have a tendency to eat the same thing every day once i find a combination that adds up to my ideal calorie intake...not healthy, and really boring!! hopefully having this forum will help me make calorie counting an enjoyable lifestyle habit...
have a great day!
em1183 is offline   Reply With Quote