Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/212/140

Default Does taking anti-depressants help stop binge eating?

Hi, I've just signed up to this website, so bare with me if I get things wrong
I have been diagnosed with depression and have suffered with it from about the age of 12. I have recently started taking fluoxetine (recentley as the services for diagnosing and counselling where I live are apalling- I'm now 15) and am a binge eater. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if anti-depressants do help with binge eating?
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #2  

I am on Celexa and Trazadon. They both cause weight gain so I can't say they help stop binge eating. You need to have a strategy to do that. I don't have any junk food in the house. If I feel the need to eat, I have veggies or 1 piece of fruit. If I don't want those, I know I'm not hungry and don't need to eat. Do you also have a therapist? Talk binge eating over with her.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

When I was on Prozac (fluoxetine) it did help curb my appetite.... don't know if it helps binge eating. You might want to write the company and see what they say but in the mean time, ask your doctor.

http://www.prozac.com/index.jsp This website may be able to help.

Good luck
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Antidepressants tend to affect appetite, and some affect OCD and compulsive thoughts and behaviors. Each antidepressant has a different effect profile, but these are based on averages, many people may experience opposite effects. So any antidepressant may cause an increase in appetite for some people and a decrease in appetite for others, and may not affect others at all.

You may want to keep a food and feelings (physical and emotional) journal
so you can document what's going on with you. Also, for some people it takes a while to find the right antidepressant and dosage.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #5  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Height: 5' 3"

I'm on Zoloft, and I don't think that curbs my eating. Sorry.

Last edited by BabyNicole; 01-01-2008 at 04:59 AM.
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #6  

Wellbutrin is really the only one that doesn't cause some weight gain
scorpiochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #7  

I am taking Elival for chronic pain. Elival causes sweet cravings. The first time on the drug, I gained 30 pounds in three months. This time, I knew in advanced the problem so I prepared myself. I purchased cookies in the individual 100 calorie packet so I could control how much I ate. Quaker breakfast cookie is also a good choice because it is high fiber. I also got a couple of weight watcher's desserts. I have now been on the drug for almost a year and only gained 4 pounds and that was the last two weeks when we were in Houston for Christmas and I gave myself permission to indulge in those foods we can't get here in Washington State. Tomorrow it is back to dieting.
GrandmaBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/170/160

Height: 5'10"

I was on Lexapro and gained nearly 50lbs before I put it together that that was the source of my weight gain after losing 80lbs! I found it wasn't helping me at all and I felt horrible while taking it. I slowly got myself off it and resolved to find a lifestyle change to help. For me, getting out of a stressfull job and company, regular exercise and a healthy vegeterian diet have done wonders and are now a lifestyle. I take things one day and one moment at a time. If I cannot control it, then I don't worry about it or let it get to me.

The suggestion of a journal is a great one. I find that keeping a food journal keeps me accountable for what I eat and lets me know as the day goes on if I'm eating to much carbs or lacking in other food groups. Keeping an emotional journal will help you too. Getting those harmful and negative feelings out of you and onto paper will provide a great release!
ViolinJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #9  
Canadian Girl

I've been on Wellbutrin since Feb 06 and it saved my life. I haven't officially stopped binge eating until just a few months ago, however. I binged like mad when I was on effexor.
karinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Ditto the above poster. I had problems on Effexor with binge eating still, though I wouldn't say it made it worse. But then I went on Wellbutrin (I'm on the generic), and whether it's causal or coincidental I don't know, but it cut my cravings and junk food IMMENSELY.

I mean, my thoughts used to run "I've had a bad day, I should get a super sized combo at McDonald's and some carrot cake to feel better." Nowadays, they run more like "I've had a bad day, I'm not going to cook but I'm going to microwave my favorite tofu and veggies meal, and buy some strawberries -- the good ones, not the cheap ones -- and soak in the tub." I mean, the thought of getting McD's to cheer myself up is just nothing that appeals anymore, when before it did.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #11  
banned

Wellbutrin really helped me. When I was taking it, I was also on a hormone replacement patch and Metformin for PCOS -- my dr. said that each would help with weight, and I did lose 60 pounds in about a year.

Of course, when I stopped taking them, I gained it all back -- but there were other reasons for that as well.

Lori
NewSkinnyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

I actually lost weight while on zoloft but when I stopped taking it I gained. Then I started taking fluoxetine and my appetite decreased. When I stopped taking fluoxetine I didn't gain though.

You might also want to look into state funded health care options. Find help where you can. And maybe look for a local chapter of Overeaters Anonymous. Hope this helps. Good luck.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote