LA Weight Loss - Zumba

View Full Version : Zumba

Lynx
12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi everyone,
I just have to tell you about a demonstration class that I went to Saturday morning. Instead of looking for parking spaces at a mall and doing holiday shopping, I along with about 100 other women and 2 men spent an hour learning the new aerobic dance craze called Zumba. Fitness experts claim that you can burn 600 calories in 60 minutes. It is energizing and fun.

The good thing about Zumba is that you can put as much into the moves as you want or are able to. You can google Zumba and go to sites to see examples of the dance/aerobic moves. (Caution - you may want to turn the speaker volume down on your computer before you go to the specific sites expecially if you are at work because the music is loud)

If you are looking for a new way to exercise, I suggest you look into Zumba. Here is some further info about it. You can buy a video or maybe your fitness club will be starting classes soon.

From Wikipedia
Zumba is a fitness program inspired by Latin dance. Zumba combines Latin rhythms with cardiovascular exercise to create an aerobic routine that is fun and easy to follow. The name Zumba is derived from a Colombian word meaning to move fast and have fun. Zumba sells DVDs/videos through its website and via infomercials. More than 3 million DVDs have been sold in over 30 countries. It uses the principles of fitness interval training and resistance training to maximize caloric output, fat burning, and total body toning. It’s a way of mixing body sculpting movements with easy-to-follow dance steps,” says creator Beto Perez. “It’s fun and addictive.” “It’s wonderful to see so many people having fun while getting fit,” says Perez. “I think the terrific Latin rhythms in the program have taken the ‘work’ out of “working out.” [1]
Inspired by Latin dance and music, Zumba uses a variety of styles in its routines, including cumbia, merengue, salsa, reggaeton, mambo, rumba, flamenco, and calypso. Music selections include both fast and slow rhythms to help tone and sculpt the body.

Lynn
week 49
LAWL franchise center
total lost 60 lbs.
Current weight 140
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs

Dan2112
12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Very cool! Thanks Lynn!!

"Liz, get yer dancin' shoes!"...:lol:

amylou7777
12-18-2007, 03:39 AM
Sounds like fun to me! I would love to get a DVD!

shshshhh
12-18-2007, 07:33 AM
I bought the set of Zumba DVD's on QVC and LOVE them. Lynn, so glad you went to a live demo - wonder if they will be holding them out here in the northwest. Sounds like so much fun.

The DVD's are great - they start off with the instructional one (still a good workout) and move on to different levels. I love the music too.

Roberta

Lynx
12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
You are right, Roberta. Everyone loved the music.

Lynn
week 49
LAWL franchise center
total lost 60 lbs.
Current weight 140
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs