PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Starting weight: 268 Goal:145

Height: 5ft 7"

Talking Insulin resistance diet and PCOS

I recently went to the emergency rm for dysfunctional uterine bleeding. I was seen by a OBGYN and was told she believed that I have PCOS. I had further testing in her office for my horemones and insulin levels. My test results concluded that my insulin levels are 1 point away from being abnormal and that we caught the PCOS before it did too much damage to my body. I am just so worried about my cholesterol and triglicerides they were so high! I am only 35 years old and my cholesterol was 257 yikes! I don't even eat fried foods or alot of fast food. All of my levels were high. My good cholesterol is low, I was told that insulin resistance and PCOS causes your cholesterol to be high. Has anyone else had this problem?I have been doing the insulin resistant diet and lost 12 lbs so far. My doc said she would give me 3 months and see how I am doing losing weight. If I can't lose enough weight in 3 months then I will have to go on metformin or glucophagh. I am having a hard time finding the willpower to workout. I am going to start out with just 30 min of cardio per day and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Sincerely,
Heather
msheater33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #2  
Looking for the real me

S/C/G: 201/193/140

Height: 5'9

I too have PCOS and high cholesterol. It stinks! My doc put me on Crestor to help bring it down. I am trying to exercise but it is hard now that it is winter and can't get out much.

Good luck! Sorry I don't have much advice....just wanted to say hi.
Beegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I actually don't have high cholesterol but my cholesterol certainly has lowered due to my diet.

Cholesterol doesn't only come from fast foods or fried foods, any animal product can increase your cholesterol levels.

Exercise will definitely help by bringing up your low good cholesterol. I used to also have borderline low good cholesterol but that has since changed as well.

Through diet and exercise though you can improve your levels greatly
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #4  
banned

Hi!

I, too have PCOS, but have never really had a problem with Cholesterol. I just wanted to encourage you... My Dr. Had me on Metformin before, and it was not so bad. It actually really helped me, and weight did come off much easier.

Of course, once I stopped taking it, the weight came back, but that's another story.. and part of my problem (sticking to things).

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there's hope, and since you found it early hopefully you won't have such a hard time with it. I was actually relieved by my diagnosis -- I finally saw that all the things that were wrong with me wasn't just in my head, and wasn't my body falling apart. There was ONE reason for it all, and that one enemy was one I could fight.

So hang in there!

Lori
NewSkinnyMe is offline   Reply With Quote