Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Your favorite popcorn toppings?

View Full Version : Your favorite popcorn toppings?

tamaralynn
12-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I lived with a vegetarian for a while and his favorite way of making popcorn (which is now my favorite) is using olive oil (instead of butter), vegetable salt and brewers yeast.

YUM!

Do you have favorite non traditional toppings??

SoulBliss
12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Cooked in coconut oil, seasoned with nutritional yeast, cayenne and salt or a spray of umeboshi vinegar, soy sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos. Sometimes spicy hot sauce (Red Hot style or Tabasco style) is really good too!

tamaralynn
12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Do you know if Brewer's yeast and Nutritional Yeast have a similar flavor? I may try that next :)

I never thought of coconut oil :) And red hot sauce... my favorite spicy sauce :)

bargoo
12-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Butter and lots of it........I wish.....

LLV
12-14-2007, 04:15 PM
I personally just like it salted. I don't need oil and butter all over it, that kind of ruins it for me. If I want butter flavor, then I'll spritz on some butter spray or use the Butter Buds sprinkles. But my favorite popcorn is right out of my air popper and sprinkled with salt.

evilwomaniamshe
12-14-2007, 04:24 PM
I like my popcorn straight up, nothing at all added! No butter, no salt, no preservatives, just plain ole popcorn goodness munch after munch. Yum-0!

House_of_Mirth
12-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I Love Ginger powder on everything, but especially on pop corn

Pita09
12-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Cinnamon and Splenda with a little butter spray

I need to try the ginger powder

What does brewers yeast taste like?

ILoveLove
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't use oil to pop my pocorn, I put the kernels in a brown paper bag and let them pop. When I top it with something it is either butter or cinnamon sugar (my fav)

practiceliving
12-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I sometimes like to throw some garlic powder on mine. Otherwise, it's plan or with a bit of parmesan on top. Mmmm I know what I'm snacking on tonight!

I like all your ideas, I think I'm going to have to try some of them out!

THINBYJUNE
12-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Parmesan and Old Bay seasoning. Although after reading this I may end up with a few new favorites.

3Beans
12-20-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't use oil to pop my pocorn, I put the kernels in a brown paper bag and let them pop. When I top it with something it is either butter or cinnamon sugar (my fav)

Wait, what? I want to know how to do this! How do you seal the bag? I'm guessing you microwave it? I used to have an air popper but it didn't work well. It left about 1/2 the kernels unpopped. So now I use olive or canola oil.

Scenestealer
12-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Haven't had popcorn in a long time, but I was always partial to parmesan and taco seasoning. Maybe I'll make some and switch it up for some Old Bay :)

momica
01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
I like to air pop a bowl full and then grate dark chocolate chips over it. Grate-toss-grate-toss etc until I have grated over maybe 10 chips (it dosen't take many to give each kernel a lot of flavor)
Makes a great (grate--har) afternoon snack when my chocolate cravings kick in.
Mmmm...wonder if I can also grate in a soft pepermint candy to make minty chocolate popcorn...wouldn't take more than one or 2 if they're small....
(back to the kitchen...)

mandalinn82
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Just a brown paper bag, spray with cooking spray, a quarter cup of kernels. Fold over the top, fold the bag flat again, place it folded bottom side down and microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until there are 2-3 seconds between pops.

BettyBooty
01-03-2008, 09:01 AM
My favorite is to spray a little olive oil on popped corn and sprinkle with some garlic powder and Italian cheese.

Botzz
01-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I air pop a big bowl and then make 2 cup portions in sandwich bags and when its time to eat it I put a shake of Fireworks popcorn company White cheddar seasoning on it, its a 45 calorie treat and fills me up :) 40 cal's for the popcorn 5 for the cheddar, then I just count the shake as 1 serving, which In actuality I use less than 1 serving per 2 cup bag. it tastes just like smart food brand popcorn that way and is my go to if I need a low cal treat.

txangelgirl
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey Amanda are you serious girl? That is so very cool! But how do you keep the bag from coming open when it's popping? I think I'm gonna try that today - sounds so much healthier than those 100 cal packs I get at the store!

dahonesttruth
01-30-2008, 07:34 AM
for me.. i use a little bit of butter spray, and salt sometimes. or i'll use a dash or two of caramel seasonings.

although there are times when i crave that popcorn drenched in butter and heavily salted ... oohh the days of me working at the movie theatre... *sigh* good thing its justa craving.. i haven't had popcorn since new years, but i have been craving some lately. maybe i'll make a small batch tonight after class to eat while i watch my reruns of e.r ... of course after i finish homework.

Manick
01-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Wait, what? I want to know how to do this! How do you seal the bag? I'm guessing you microwave it? I used to have an air popper but it didn't work well. It left about 1/2 the kernels unpopped. So now I use olive or canola oil.

Put about 1/4 cup in a lunch sack style bag, fold the top over twice and staple both corners. Nope, staples don't spark and won't hurt the microwave. Just like store bought, set the timer and listen for the pops. Mine is 1.5 minutes.

Delish.