Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/222/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Thank you all for being there!

I stumbled upon 3fc this summer. I (as all of you) have had so much trouble losing weight. After seeing all of the success everyone was having, I was sure that I could succeed too. After more than 4 months of staying POP, working out with a pilates trainer for 90 min. 3 days a week (who I love and who works me to death!) and going to the gym for 45-60 minutes of elliptical 3/4 days a week (it’s the only intense cardio my knees can take) - I had lost a whopping 3 pounds! I have always known I was hypo Thyroid, but all my tests have been coming back normal since taking 2 grains of Amour Thyroid a day. So it was very frustrating that I was losing soooo slowly.

I then went to see a new endocrinologist in New York. He is actually a research PhD. who my retiring endocrinologist’s office recommended, telling me “he is the Sherlock Holms of the metabolism” and that other doctors send their most baffling cases to him when they finally throw their hands up. I went to the new doctor, who, after a million questions and tests, was very excited to tell me that I was. . . a real mess inside. That was two weeks ago, and the good news was that he believes we can turn it (my mess of a metabolism) around. Apparently, in addition to a long list of other markers that indicate problems with my internal workings, my fat burning capacity is at 3.5, a tiny fraction of a normal persons capability. When working out, after I have burned the calories available from food, my body will then start to burn its own protein (my muscle) for most of the energy it needs. Thankfully my trainer has insisted I eat a little before I work out and always reminded me to eat protein right after.

So, the doctor has me on 4 pills, 3 powders and one liquid (all chemicals that are naturally produced by the human body). I have had a little trouble tolerating some of them, but I have been able to keep down at least small amounts of everything and we will try to increase the dosages over time.

Although I may not be much lighter, I feel so much better since doing the right things (POP and religiously doing weight, cardio and flexibility workouts). I don’t think I would have been able to stay on program or to continue the really hard workouts if it hadn’t been for you guys. And if I had just given up, I never would have been encouraged to pursue why I wasn’t losing weight (since I would have chalked it up to just falling off the wagon again). I don’t post a lot, but wanted you to know, you have all made a difference in my life.

When it came to the holiday craziness this year, I decided to love all the photos that would be taken of the very large me. That I would really mix & mingle at every gathering and give everyone a chance to see the outer me as well as the inner me. I decided that this year would be the final “before picture” everyone would have of me. Thank you to all of you wonderful 3fc chicks!!!

Last edited by Goldia; 12-13-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Goldia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

What a hero you are!! I look forward to reading how the research goes with Sherlock Holmes!
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote