Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #1  
Thursday Lady

Talking Need King Cake Recipe

Yes, I know this isn't the Recipe Thread , but I thought more people would read this here.

With Mardi Gras upon us, I would love to make a King Cake .

Does anyone have a WW recipe?

Tina
Old 01-27-2002, 11:31 PM   #2  
Thursday Lady

I see that people have read this thread but no one has replied.
I guess no one has a recipe.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:46 AM   #3  
I wish I was a catfish

Default No luck

I tried looking for a low-fat version of a king cake, but could not find one. I guess the alternative would to just figure up the points for a regular king cake. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:15 AM   #4  
Thursday Lady

Amy,
Thanks for trying. I appreciate it. You're right, I'll just have to count points.

Tina
Old 01-28-2002, 04:52 PM   #5  
I wish I was a catfish

Default Recipe

Ok, I love King Cakes, too, so I used my WW Light and Tasty Delux CDRom to figure up points for a recipe I found on the internet. I haven't tried the recipe so I don't know if it's any good, but here it is.

· 1/4 cup milk
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 1/2 t. salt
· 3 T. butter or margarine
· 1/4 c. warm water (105 - 115 degrees)
· 1 pkg. active dry yeast
· 1 egg
· 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
* 1/3 cup butter or margarine,
* softened

Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it steams; remove from heat. Add sugar, salt and butter, stiffing until butter is melted. Let cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Stir to dissolve. Add egg and 1 1/2 cups flower; beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the rest of the flour. Beat until the dough is smooth and leaves the side of the bowl.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured pastry
cloth. Knead until dough is satiny and elastic
and blisters appear on the surface. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place free from drafts, for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.

*Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
Pinch dough down and divide in half. Turn one portion of dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll to a 28" X 10" rectangle.
Spread half each of butter and cinnamon mixture on dough. Roll dough, jelly roll fashion, starting at the long side. Gently place dough roll, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bring ends of dough together and form an oval ring. If you have access to a tiny plastic baby, tuck it into the seam before you seal it. If not, use a
large, dried bean. Moisten and pinch the edges together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 20 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 375 º for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle cake with colored sugars.

Colored Sugars

*1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
*1 to 2 drops each of green, yellow, red and blue food coloring

Combine 1/2 cup sugar and a drop of green
coloring in a jar. Place lid on jar, and shake
vigorously to evenly mix the color with sugar.
Repeat with each color, combining red and blue for
purple.

Serves 12 (maybe more or less, I'm not sure)
Calories: 312
Fat: 9
Fiber: 0.9
WW Points: 7

This recipe just has the cinnamon-sugar filling, but there are cream cheese fillings and fruit fillings (just use pie filling) and you'd have to adjust the points accordingly.

Also, I saw a king cake recipe that used refrigerated cinnamon rolls, you might could make a low fat version using low fat cinnamon rolls. Of course it won't be as good as the real thing, but I may try it and see how it comes out.

I hope this helped.

Last edited by cfblues; 01-28-2002 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:57 PM   #6  
Thursday Lady

Amy,
You are something else!!!!!

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it, too. The cinnamon roll one doesn't sound too authentic.
I think I'll try the other one.
Let me know what you think.

Tina
140 personal goal
Old 01-31-2002, 03:10 AM   #7  

what's king cake?
Old 01-31-2002, 03:19 AM   #8  

http://www.soulard.com/renaissance/m.../kingcake.html

never mind. found it.

you could possibly substitute applesauce for the butter....but being a yeast bread, i'd be sorta cautious.

i say, just make the whole thing, calculate points, and either splurge and make up for it the rest of the week or just taste a little, and budget it into your normal food.

:-)
Old 01-31-2002, 09:14 AM   #9  
Thursday Lady

Trixiepup,
Thank you so much for the recipe. By your question, I assume you've never been to a Mardi Gras. They are getting wilder every year. We went to the one in Galveston, TX several years ago before women started "flashing" their tops.

In the olde days------the person who found the bean, coin, or doll in their piece of King Cake, got to hold the next party. Sounds like a fun idea to me---even if it's not Mardi Gras.

Tina
Old 02-15-2002, 10:28 AM   #10  

Angry Lowfat Mardi Gras Kingcake

Sorry that this is a little late for Mardi Gras, but I posted a lowfat Mardi Gras Kingcake recipe on the recipe swap area of the WW board. I got it out of the New Orleans paper (Times Picayune) and got the points from the recipe builder. It is 3 points per slice. I have not baked it myself. Maybe next year! Just type in "Lowfat Mardi Gras Kingcake into the search box. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2002, 10:47 AM   #11  
Thursday Lady

Thank you, Jazz,
I'll go find it. I ended up buying one at Central Market. I wasn't very happy with it as it was so doughy.

Tina
Old 02-15-2002, 10:58 AM   #12  
Thursday Lady

Jazz,
I can't find that recipe. I'm not a paid subscriber and can't use the "recipe search." I've looked at some of the recipes but haven't found it. again
Old 02-15-2002, 07:20 PM   #13  

Angry Lowfat Mardi Gras Kingcake

Here is the recipe:

community recipe swap: Desserts
Lowfat Mardi Gras Kingcake
From the kitchen of JAZZ1000

servings | 16
estimated POINTS per serving | 3
course | Desserts

printable page e-mail to a friend

Ingredients

Cake:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. fast-acting yeast
1 cup water
2 tbsp. reduced-calorie margarine
2 egg whites
2 tbsp. apple juice
1/3 cup sugar or firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
red bean, baby or another charm

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 to 5 tsp. skim milk
Food coloring, optional (Purple, green and gold)

Instructions

Cake:
In large bowl, combine one cup flour with one tsp. sugar and the salt and yeast; blend well. In a small saucepan, heat water and margarine until very warm (120 to 130 degrees). Add warm liquid and egg whites to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir an additional 1 3/4 cups of flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl. On floured surface, knead in 3/4 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 18-by-12 inch rectangle. Brush with apple juice. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar with cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over dough. Starting with the 18 inch side, roll up tightly, pressing edges to seal. Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet. Join ends to form a ring; pinch ends to seal. With scissors or sharp knife, cut from outside edge of ring to within 1/2 inch of inside of ring, making cuts two inches apart. Using wooden spoon handle, crease middle of each two inch section until dough fans out on each side of crease. Conceal a red bean or another charm in a thick part of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover dough. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; cool on a wire rack.

Glaze:
In a small bowl, blend powdered sugar with enough milk to create a drizzling consistency. If desired, divide the glaze into three parts and color purple,green and gold with food coloring. Drizzle over cooled cake.

Special Notes

I have not made this yet. I got the recipe from the New Orleans paper and put the ingredients into the recipe builder. I also put the regular kingcake recipe in and it came out as 7 points per slice. Enjoy and Happy Mardi Gras!

Closed Thread