Soups and Stews Phase 1 - South Beach-ified Maryland Crab Soup

Schmoodle
12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
About the soup, usually when I make it I do it all from scratch with hambone and beef bones to start and it's a lot of work and has potatoes and corn, so not SB, but the one I made yesterday was a quick SB version I made up and it came out so good I may not bother with the other anymore! Here's what I did:

Brown 1/2 lb lean stew beef cubes in olive oil. Throw into soup pot. Brown 1 chopped onion and add to pot. Deglaze saute pan with a little red or white wine and add to pot. Now you're done with the frying pan, so set aside. To soup pot add: 3 cups beef or veg broth (can use bouillon cubes and water), 2 bay leaves, 2 cups spicy V8, 1 chopped carrot (leave this out for Ph1), 3 stalks celery, chopped, 2 chopped zucchinis. Add can stewed or diced tomatoes, can green beans (drained), can limas (drained). Simmer about 1 hour. Add extra liquid if too thick. Add 1 T Old Bay seasoning and 1 lb. crab meat. I always pick extra crab meat and cocktail claws when we get a bushel in the fall to freeze for soup later, so that's what I used, but you can buy a lb. of fresh crabmeat or use canned if you have no choice. Stir crab meat in very gently so as not to break up the yummy lumps of meat. Heat until hot through, then taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Remove bay leaves and serve. Make sure some of the claws are sticking up out of the soup for visual interest!
Of course, this is based on what I had on hand, and can be adjusted to what you have and what veggies you prefer. Really, you just need a good beef and/or ham and veggie soup base and then add crab meat and Old Bay.

Ruth's Note: Usually I crab (:lol:) when people don't put in serving size but this recipe looks great. Looks like about 8 servings to me but let me know if it's not.