Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #1  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Default Question for those who workout in the evenings

I have no choice but to go to the gym in the evenings, that cannot change. I find on the days I do heavy cardio, thus bringing my heart rate up during the session, I have problems sleeping at night. Going to sleep is no problem, but sleeping comfortably is! I will constantly be awakened, and have the wildest vivid dreams. Any suggestions of what I can do to sleep peacefully?
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Wow, that's a problem! How late in the evenings are you exercising? Around dinner time or closer to bed time?

I have no experience with this at all, but a couple of things come to mind: taking the time to quietly drink a mug of caffeine free tea before bed might help, perhaps doing some gentle yoga or light meditation or light stretching after you get back from the gym and have your shower. My feeling is that, unless you want to take sleeping pills, your best bet would be to consciously take the time to relax and wind down--body and mind--before trying to get to sleep.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I would think that either of those suggestions by baffled are certainly worth a try!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I do my exercise in the evening too. I find a nice warm shower and a cup of decaf tea help me to relax before bed.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'8

I would suggest going for a light walk after you work out. If the gym is close, I would even recommend walking back.
Semifatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #6  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

well, due to my weird schedule...dinnertime is at 3:30 pm. My workout is from 4:30-7. I like to take a cool shower afterwards. I may try the tea thing. Like I said, falling asleep is no problem, staying asleep is the main problem. I can be wide awake in 2 hrs, and the crazy dreams throughout the night keeps my brain running in circles!
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #7  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Do you have any sleep apnea? I heard that can stop people from going into the deep sleep that they need. How about a sleep clinic? Meletonin is an herbal remedy that helps people relax and wind down (don't know about any side effects or intereactions). Sleep in a dark room. I don't know just throwing everything I got your way.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote