Weight Loss Support - Anyone switch from artificial sweeteners to sugar?

ThePrettyOne
12-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Seems these days, everytime I pick up a pack of Sweet N Low, I get a moan or groan from SOMEONE telling me I shouldn't use it and to use real sugar instead. I like splenda, but it's not everywhere. What I'm asking is, what's the deal with this? I've started using real sugar in place of artificials a few days ago. Anyone ever make the change and notice any differences? I don't use it often. I have a coffee in the morning and MAYBE one in the afternoon, occasionally. Should I stick with the real stuff?

nelie
12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I try to use no sweeteners at all. If I buy products, I rather see cane juice than artificial sweeteners but that is also rare.

ThePrettyOne
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I actually have stevia but I thought it was vile :lol: I will use cane sugar if it's available, but between regular sugar and artificial, I am wondering what my best choice is.

JayEll
12-11-2007, 11:20 AM
My opinion is that it is up to you, and it depends on your goals.

I haven't used sugar in years, except for Sucanat (sugar cane natural) now and then. I don't sweeten my coffee.

I will also sometimes use honey or 100% maple syrup if I want to sweeten something. Some say that that's just the same as refined sugar, but I don't believe it is. They are whole foods, not processed, even though the cals. are the same.

I have used more artifical sweeteners during weight loss in the form of diet sodas. I prefer Pepsi One because it is sweetened with Splenda instead of aspartame.

You'll find there are people on both sides of the fence, each insisting they are right. You'll need to do some research into actual data, if you want to make a decision based on real information.

Cheers!
Jay

phantastica
12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Personally, I try to use the most natural product available, and as infrequently as possible. But even more importantly, I've "trained" myself to like my foods less sweet (not adding sugar to coffee/tea). I'd say if you don't have a strong opinion either way, use whichever you prefer. The key is to keep your consumption to "trace elements" and not "food group". LOL

Robin41
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't worry that much about artificial sweeteners. I let myself get to a million pounds and now I'm going to worry about a bag of sweetener? Don't think so. Seems a bit like worrying about a little smoke when your house is burning down.

I like Splenda and just carry some packets in the bottom of my purse for places that don't have it.

ChrissyBean
12-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't sweeten beverages--I only add a tsp. of brown sugar to my oatmeal in the morning. I truly do avoid artificial sweeteners wherever possible. I don't even drink pop.

ennay
12-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I use honey most of the time or sugar...I try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I think in the long run I get more cravings with artificial sweeteners, I am better off just reducing my sweet-tooth. Now do I think it matters what you put in your coffee - no not really. But I do think that having sweetened desserts (SF jello, icecream, pudding, etc) definitely causes me to spiral fast. Much faster than the real stuff.

Actually Jay - there was a study recently that showed that honey had some chemical that reduced cholesterol or improved HDL or something good. So finally something that shows honey is better than sugar...I think a specific type of honey was best...buckwheat? cant remember.

Shy Moment
12-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't use artificial sweeteners, I try to stay away from artificial anything. There aren't that many calories in sugar and from all I have read the artificial stuff just isn't good for the body in many ways. I have found, I don't like things as sweet as I use to. Most of my carbs come from the bread and cereal group and fruits. I think a person can use what they want. Lowering the amounts we use is the key.

SoulBliss
12-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I would never put anything in my mouth that was artificially sweetened, not even a stick of gum.

suitejudyblueeyes
12-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Seems everyone is pretty set on being anti-artificial sweetener, but I'll throw in one plus for the artificial camp: artificial sweeteners don't mess with your blood sugar like cane sugar does. Which is really only important if you have issues with blood sugar levels.

Me personally, I don't like things very sweet to begin with. BUT, in the off chance I do want to sweeten something like oatmeal or an iced coffee, I use Splenda. I don't use it frequently enough to worry about long-term health problems... I figure getting my weight down will far outweigh any perceived negative health outcomes from a packet of splenda once in a blue moon.

Heather
12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I use artificial sweetener every day in my coffee. I drink diet soda regularly. I also occasionally have sf cocoa or pudding.

But I also try to limit the use where I can. I do like to use honey and maple syrup when I can...

I guess I'm okay with moderate use. But I agree with Jay -- if you really are concerned look for good, solid information about the topic and the issues that are pertinent to you.

ennay
12-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Seems everyone is pretty set on being anti-artificial sweetener, but I'll throw in one plus for the artificial camp: artificial sweeteners don't mess with your blood sugar like cane sugar does. Which is really only important if you have issues with blood sugar levels.

Actually for me it does and worse, which is the main reason I avoid.

mandalinn82
12-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm another "moderate use". I am severely allergic to saccharin and aspartame, but Splenda has been a wonderful tool. I have a diet soda maybe once a week, bake with once in a while, etc. I drink my coffee black, except a once-a-week Americano, which gets two packets of Splenda. Hasn't affected my weight loss in the slightest, and I believe it to be safe in moderate amounts.

jellybelly06
12-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Well, I think I am in the minority. I use it and more than moderately! I put it in my coffee cup (3 packets, it's a big cup!) I have that 2 x a day. Plus I put 1 packet in my cereal each morning. So I have 7 packets a day everyday. I also drink flavored waters (that are also sweetened) through out the day. So that is what I do. Jelly

ThePrettyOne
12-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone! I guess I will search around a bit and see what other information I can get. Like I said, it's not like I'm shoveling into my mouth, but once a day in my coffee I'll use it. I just never really thought much about it, but now that I have my weight around where I want it and am a professional calorie counter, I'm thinking about the other side items....like sugar and sodium :)

suitejudyblueeyes
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Actually for me it does and worse, which is the main reason I avoid.

I didn't know it could! I thought it was kind of invisible to the endocrine system... I'll have to read up on that! *scratches head* :)

SoulBliss
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey, Suitejudyblueeyes, I have also read studies that show that artificial sweeteners can impact blood sugar levels.

Lyria
12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I use Hermesetas which is based on aspartme - although not very often these days. I found it a very useful tool to wean myself off having to sweeten my drinks and food by using a little less each time. Now I adore unsweetened teas, coffees, cereals etc and my baking uses half to a quarter of the orginal sugar requirements.

I use honey to sweeten my tea if I feel like it - I usually have one honey tea a day, first thing upon getting into the office lol. It's my little ritual.

I have never had any problems with artificial sweeteners and so far as the "it's so bad for you" rhetoric well...I think I must have read an article for nearly every food that has now been shown "scientifically in some study" to cause cancer AND sometimes on the same day another article claiming that same food can help prevent other cancers.

We all have different reactions to different foods - like most things it seems to be a matter of finding what works well for you.

SoulBliss
12-11-2007, 05:07 PM
We all have different reactions to different foods - like most things it seems to be a matter of finding what works well for you.
True, true! ;)

LindseyLouWho
12-11-2007, 11:47 PM
With artificial sweeteners and other processed things, I tend to take a "better safe than sorry" approach. There's data that supports either side, so I *personally* try and stay away from it as much as possible.. that doesn't mean that I'm militant about it or anything... and if I'm at the movies I'll take a couple of sips out of my boyfriend's diet coke (How gross, I know! :p) if I get thirsty.

I can also see the point of view that I was clearly doing a LOT more damage to my health from being overweight and if using artificial sweeteners would help me to maintain a healthy weight, I'd use them.

For me, though, I just started to like unsweetened iced tea, stopped drinking diet sodas (which I didn't do much of anyway), and decided that I'd rather have the real thing in desserts, but that's also because I can taste something funky if it's sweetened with artificial sweeteners.

zenor77
12-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Artificial sweeteners have caused me many a headache and menstrual problems too. I avoid them at all costs.

Actually, I accidentally had a yogurt with splenda at my Aunt's house at Thanksgiving. It tasted terrible to me. It's been so long since I've had artificial sweetener that my taste buds just don't like it.

Koren Michelle
12-12-2007, 01:45 AM
I am a huge fan of Splenda and use it almost exclusively, however I will use regular sugar when I have an exceptionally good cup of coffee, esp. my beloved Cuban coffee :)

BattleAx
12-12-2007, 01:57 AM
I generally avoid all artificial ingredients, but there are some things I eat occasionally because they help me stay on plan. I don't usually consume much artificial sweetener, because I'd rather do without the sweetness or use real sugar. But, I don't feel guilty about it if I have some.

NoVaVTFan
12-12-2007, 07:50 AM
I haven't really listened too much too all of the negative talk about sweeteners and what it can do to your health because it seems like one year something is bad for you, then WAIT, all of a sudden the Health Industry finds out it's good for you for something else, then the next year it goes back to being bad for you - I get tired of the flip flopping with the "reports" the healthy industry puts out, so I've just stopped listening.

My only real thought on the topic is, if artificial sweeteners are truly bad for you, then would you rather die from being obese or from eating too many sweeteners? We know being obese is bad for your health, and if artificial sweeteners are that bad for you also, I guess decide which you would rather die of and take that road. I personally would pick using the artificial sweeteners in small amounts and otherwise being as healthy as possible and a normal weight, then being obese and having all of the problems that will bring.

LisaMarie71
12-12-2007, 07:57 AM
I personally would pick using the artificial sweeteners in small amounts and otherwise being as healthy as possible and a normal weight, then being obese and having all of the problems that will bring.

This is my logic as well. Even with the Diet Mountain Dew I drink, I'm sure I'm much healthier now than I was at 275. I don't like the idea of artificial sweeteners either, and I hope to phase out the diet soda eventually, but right now it helps me stay on plan so it's staying. I use Splenda in tea, but occasionally I use regular sugar. I don't drink a lot of tea anymore, and you couldn't pay me to drink coffee because I think it's nasty so I don't have to worry about sweetening it! As for yogurt and things like that, I spend the extra calories there because I think the artificially sweetened ones taste disgusting.

tomandkara
12-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Here's a question...

Do you feed your children things that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners?

Kara

CyndiM
12-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Artificial sweeteners have caused me many a headache and menstrual problems too. I avoid them at all costs.

That's my issue too. I learned the hard way that aspartame will give me a migraine. Got smarter and read up on Splenda before trying it and decided it was too risky. I love agave nectar when I need something sweet (I'm more of a savory person so sweet isn't much of an issue). My partner is diabetic and loves stevia. I hated the powder because I would find traces on things and it reminds me of the ooooold Tab days. Yuck!

LisaMarie71
12-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Here's a question...

Do you feed your children things that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners?

Kara

I don't have kids, but that's a good point. I probably wouldn't. I'd probably avoid giving them processed and chemical things whenever possible. But I like to think I'd teach them good eating and exercise habits from the beginning and they wouldn't end up in a situation like I was, where you make tradeoffs to get away from the problem of obesity.

flowerindarain
12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
I find that I use a lot of Splenda. I bake with the Splenda Blend, which is both sugar and splenda (not sure how much of each.) That's just one of the sneaky ways I try to make family meals healthier.

chick_in_the_hat
12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, I think I am in the minority. I use it and more than moderately! I put it in my coffee cup (3 packets, it's a big cup!) I have that 2 x a day. Plus I put 1 packet in my cereal each morning. So I have 7 packets a day everyday. I also drink flavored waters (that are also sweetened) through out the day. So that is what I do. Jelly

I'm on the Jelly plan...whoever invented splenda should get a prize. :D

I have started drinking a LOT of herbal tea at work, and I don't sweeten it, tho. :yay:

rileysbabe
12-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Has Anyone Tried Agave Nectar? Its Natual And Tastes Great...higher Calories Than Splenda, Equal Etc

kimmieone
12-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I use splenda for some stuff, sugar for others.

Reddalice
12-15-2007, 03:09 AM
If I can't tolerate it without additives, I try not to touch it at all. However, if I want it that terribly bad, I use raw sugar. I'll tell you in two words why I don't want artificial sweeteners (top of the list aspartame which turns to formaldehyde during the digestive process) in my body and save you a lecture: CHEMICAL SH*T STORM.