Weight Loss Support - Alternative Group (January 25, 2002)

ruthie
01-25-2002, 05:26 AM
We are a group of non-traditional lifestyle individuals. We are partnered, single, widowed, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic, Christian, Muslim, gay, bi-sexual, bi-colored and straight. We bask in our diversity and unite in the same goal of losing weight. If you are relatively open-minded and accepting of ALL walks of life, please join us.

ruthie
01-25-2002, 05:50 AM
You know, I was reading over everyone's posts and realizing it's January, chicks...everyone's struggling to get OP and stay there for a little while. I think winter is rough, and all those holidays are rough, and now we're trying hard to jump back onto that wagon. (My apologies if I overlooked anyone who's already riding it!)

I have been trying to look at my program from a more spiritual angle, especially in light of my renewed attempt to lead a more religious life. I have a suspicion that I won't be successful until I really deep down feel a conviction not to overeat and to stay OP. It's hard to explain. At any rate, I have been examining my current state of affairs and it began to occur to me that perhaps there's an element of depression in there. I keep b**ching that I want my new life to start and I'm sick of this life, but I think I'm not just anxious and frustrated, but a little sad too. I think between being sad and being frustrated on multiple counts, I'm not limiting my food intake b/c it's the only comfort I have. Since I met the Guy, even though we're not in regular contact anymore my own loneliness has really been emphasized to me. (In about a week it will be a year since DH and I separated, can you believe it?) And it's winter, which is my crappiest time of year; I hate the cold, so I really can't stand to go out for a walk -- or to go out for any reason. I always feel like I'm holding myself tight waiting for it all to pass. Fortunately, the weather's been warmer than normal the past few days; I even slept with a window open last night. So those are all my challenges to address. I have to find a way to keep my fire stoked until I'm really out of here.

Amy, in your last thread you asked about DD and Spain. Yesterday DD decided she wants to drop an honors class that apparently she's on the verge of failing. I told her that after discussing it with her guidance counselor, and then with a couple admissions officers at schools she applied to (didn't hear from Spain yet b/c of the time difference), it's probably not a good idea to change her schedule from what was originally presented to them. When I talked to DD about it, she was adamant nevertheless, and then it came out that she was doing poorly in the class. I told her that if it's a withdraw/pass that's one thing, but if it's a withdraw/fail, she might lose her admitted status to Spain. She is still insistent, though, that she wants to drop it. The guidance counselor wants my permission, even though DD is 18, and I have to talk to her today about it (midterms are next week). I debated putting my foot down and not giving permission, but I think I am going to go with letting her decide, in keeping with my parental philosophy that at a certain point letting them make their own decisions and face the consequences of their actions is the best choice. I have explained everything to her, so she knows the possible outcomes. And I have told her -- repeatedly over time -- that I plan to be living in a studio apartment come the fall, and it won't be an option for her to live with me there if she screws up her own chances of going to college. Tough love? Life is tough, and bad decisions make it tougher. The sooner you learn that, the better. If she can't get her stuff together enough to pass classes now, and thinks simply withdrawing is an option, maybe she doesn't belong in college right now. She can always work and go to school part-time, and would probably do better as she matures. Look at how many of us work and go to school, myself included -- it's hard, but it's possible. If she pulls this crap in college, she'll be wasting money, which is really unacceptable.

Lamorgan
01-25-2002, 07:58 AM
Wow Ruthie, are you ever a wise mom.

I've had difficulty not stuffing myself these past few days, when my energy is very low and I'm sleepy I want to snack. Carbs too.

Had a banana, applesauce and 2 toasts this morning, and feel nicely stuffed. After the kids go to school I'm going to have a hot bath. Today I'll fold clothes, put some away perhaps, and putter. This weekend John is working a lot so aside from playing Euchre tomorrow night we're having a rather calm weekend.

On Feb 2nd there is something going on at the Royal Botanical Gardens called Seedy Saturday, where you go and exchange and purchase seeds from people. It's a way of keeping certain strains of heritage plants from disappearing. I've convinced hubby to go, I think it'll be nice to dream about the coming spring a bit. I have a lot of landscaping to do in my side garden this year.

I love gardening! :)

Have a wonderful day everyone!

L

Amyjo01
01-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Morning Guys!

Gray and dreary here! Guess that means no run, can't afford to get sick! Which adds up to a morning or whole day of playing catch up on my reading, which adds up to a day of having to worry about food! Grrrrr~

Will post soon, got to get the kids moving!

Amy
176/150/130

Venus Envy
01-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Sometimes my inner child is cranky and won't do what clearly needs to be done. So I try to keep in touch with my inner parent as well. (No wonder I'm large -- it's crowded in there!)

The deal is this: When I wake in the morning, even if I don't WANT to go walking, I have to get dressed and try it for five minutes. If I feel like crawling back into bed after five minutes -- I DO! No guilt, no lectures. It means that I probably need the rest, or at least the chance to be out from under the yoke of my responsibilities for that morning.

But you know what? Nineteen times out of 20, I keep walking.

I walked my first full marathon three weeks ago, weighing 242 pounds. That's 26.2 miles!! And I did it all thanks to those five minutes I made myself do throughout training.

Now my inner child and inner grownup are collaborating on our next big goal for June: Lose 25 pounds (6 pounds gone so far this month!), walk the Rock & Roll Marathon in San Diego .... and then we're all doing a parachute jump for our 42nd birthday!

ruthie
01-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Welcome Venus, and that's a pretty cool philosophy. I have a whole lot of things I need to force my inner child to do these days...

How do you walk marathons? Do they let you register and you just walk instead of run, or is there a walking section?

I am enjoying a very nice white bean and kale soup from Whole Foods for lunch. I have decided to stop buying foods whose ingredients I can't pronounce. It feels good, even though I'm paying a little more.

Time to go back to work :( .

Venus, join our group! I want to hear about your progress now!

Venus Envy
01-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the welcome, Ruthie! It's great to be able to ''hang out'' with such inspiring folks!

I joined WW two years ago, at 311 pounds. After I'd lost 50 pounds and felt comfortable with my new activity level, a friend and I decided to step things up a bit and walk a marathon. We joined Team in Training, a part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society that trains endurance athletes who fundraise to fight blood-related cancers. (I'm a breast-cancer and leukemia survivor.)

A lot of marathons allow walkers, though many of the larger ones expect all participants to be done with the full 26.2 miles in 7 hours or less. Team in Training works with runners, walkers, cyclists, and triathletes to train for several different events -- so you can choose an event that's matched to your abilities. The walkers and runners start at the same time and do the same course ... we walkers just finish later (MUCH later!).

I've lost a total of 75 pounds since joining WW. Despite all the high-level working out, I lost only 25 pounds in the past year -- probably because training at that intensity builds muscle, which weighs more ... (and it's been tough to accept that! I keep thinking, "DANG! I work out enough -- I should be a stringbean by now!").

Team in Training asked if I'd be a mentor for other walkers this year, and I'm going to do that this fall. Spring is for weight loss, and for getting one more marathon under my belt before I coach others. Who knows? If I meet my mini weight-loss goal, I might be running by fall ......

Every day's still hard, though. As I know y'all know!! I HATE struggling with the eating issues. When does that end?!??!?!

Punkinseed
01-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Hello everyone :wave: Happy Friday!

Tomarrow I'm going to reaquaint myself with a sewing machine! I'm going to make 2 door snakes and some skirting to go around the bottom of my L shaped table in my craft room to be secured with velcro to the table (so you can't see all the crap I have shoved under the table!). I'm looking forward to re-learning to sew! Eventually I need to remove the door from my bedroom into the master bath. It's in a really funky place and I want to replace it with a real lush curtain of some sort. Gotta brush up on my sewing skills before I do that!

Amyjo - a nurse! How wonderful!!! My Aunt's a nurse... I'd love to be around the new mommies too - and to see a C-section! I watch the TV programs that show babies being born all the time - I don't want one (not gonna be a mom in this life I think), I just love watching them come into the world with that "this AGAIN???" look on their faces.:angel:

Ruthie - Yes, winter can be the pits. I just moved from CA where winter is, well, a joke, to central Oregon where from the week after Thanksgiving to the week before last we had NO SUN. NONE. I was crying, depressed and thought I was gonna hurt someone... add into that the life changes you've gone through and it's no doubt you feel a little "off". The year I divorced and moved to Oregon I was gonna change my life and be everything that I knew I was. Instead I spent the first year+ wallowing in a "why isn't life grand" phase. Heck, it's been 3 years and I'm still trying to finish becoming the person I know I am deep inside. So goes being in your 30's though I guess... :rolleyes:
Anyway, yes, winter can be bad - too bad it's also one of my favorite times of year. I love rain, snow and blustery weather... it just makes me suicidal... :rolleyes:

Lamorgan - Seedy Saturday sounds wonderful! I have 5 acres I need to do something with once we are out of our frost. I've never had a yard, so going from a houseplant to 5 acres is going to be scary! May my thumb be green and the deer go elsewhere to snack...

VenusEnvy - Welcome!!! I agree with your "just 5 minutes". I do that when I walk out the garbage. I have a 280 foot long driveway and it never fails that once I get to the end of it I've talked myself into walking the mile and back that is to the furthest next street and home. As for the parachute... you go right ahead... I've got a perpetual fear of hights (as in my kitchen step stool makes my head spin). You have fun though!!:o

Well, have a great weekend everyone! I'm outta here until Monday!

Terri

Wildfire
01-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Hi girls.

Venus, welcome to our group! You are an inspiration already...marathons no less!

Ruthie, I'm really struggling too. Find myself eating comfort food just because I want to, not because I'm hungry. I haven't done horribly this week, just not as well as I want to. I am beyond tired of being this size, but just can't seem to get it all together at the same time to have some effect. I seem to either get the exercise OR the diet on track, but the other lapses. I am back to journalling tomorrow. Even if I 'm not OP, at least I have to face myself in writing.

I've hurt my back, and I don't know how or exactly what it is. I got out bed Tuesday morning and couldn't straighten up, then had a horrible sharp pain that seems to radiate out from my lower back up under my ribcage. Now I have a constant dull ache more on the right side, but both sides hurt just below my waist in my lower back. I'm taking my Naprosyn that I have for my hands, but after being at work all day, it's really sore.

Lamorgan, wish I had a garden, I miss having one.

Punkin, glad to hear you're taking up sewing again. I was a seamstress by trade at one time, and have been sewing since I was only 8 years old. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll see if I can explain it so it makes sense without actually being able to show you. :)

Flower how are you doing?

ruthie
01-25-2002, 09:28 PM
Well, I walked by the mirror tonight and thought, hey I don't look that bad. So I stopped and went back to look again, and I really don't look that awful. I'm overweight, but I'm aight. I am really working on just feeling good about myself and focusing on other things than gotta be thin, gotta be thin, gotta be thin. You know what? When I was thin I was living a life of chaos and a lot of unhappiness. Terri, you're right, we make a life change and we expect perfection. The **** with perfection -- I want to be the best I can be in the areas that are important to me. I know once I accept myself I will stop overeating. I feel like I'm really, really on the verge of a breakthrough in how I think about the weight I've gained. (Staying away from my sister has been very important in that effort, BTW. She's thin and chaotic and unhappy....)

I have been wrestling all day (and yesterday, to tell the truth, and for a couple weeks, to be really honest) with my feelings about the Guy. I feel so strongly about him and i want to talk to him, but at the same time I can't accept the messed up things about his situation, so my brain wants me to stay away until he straightens it out (if he does). I didn't realize how lonely I was until I started talking to him, and now I'm like, damn, sometimes I hate being alone.

All right, I've posted too much today and I'm blabbering. Sorry. ;)

Wildfire, take care of yourself. Hope you're feeling better. Venus, I want to do Team in Training (have a close relative with a rare form of lymphoma). Where do I sign up?

Wildfire
01-26-2002, 08:41 AM
Ruthie, I have those moments, too, when I think "hey, I look pretty good today"....why can't they last? Before I know what's happened I'm back at the bottom hating myself for not losing this weight yet. I know I am much harder on myself than other people see me....if I was really as horrible as I think I am, strange men wouldn't flirt with me, and the guys at work wouldn't compliment me like they do. Not to mention my husband thinks I am beautiful and tells me so a few times a day. I just can't believe it when I'm not happy with me. I completely hate the media and the fashion industry for twisting our minds they way have. Regarding the Guy, you know you're doing what's best if he has some things in his life that are messed up. You don't want to take on someone else's problems just when you're on your way to getting your own life going in the direction you've been waiting for. It wouldn't hurt to have dinner with him now and then, and keep in touch. You know, there are benefits to being single that I miss...not having to clean up behind anyone, coming and going when and how you please without having to consider someone else and their schedule, cooking what/when you want to...but I know it doesn't make up for the companionship and just having someone there to lean on.

Okay, today is brand new day, fresh start and all that stuff....I am going to do my best to stay OP, journal, and drink my water....despite that yummy chocolate cake that hubby brought home last night. I have to get it together!

deleted2
01-26-2002, 09:11 AM
Ruthie, when I hear you talk about your daughter I realize what an awesome responsibility it must be to be a parent. [Which is probably why I opted out for this lifetime! :o ]

Welcome, Venus! I know what you mean; I work out more than anyone I know, I should be a rail by now. I'm learning [again!!!] that I'm not the kind of person that can never go back to my old lifestyle, that I have to stay on top of it all the time. Sometimes, and this is my inner cry-baby, I get so envious of people who can just eat whatever they want without giving it a thought and I have to be constantly vigilant. Oh well....And my karma has put me in the position of cooking as my profession and it's almost comical sometime! :)

Lamorgan, I'd forgotten that you garden. You can be our green-thumbed garden goddess, inspiring us to get out there and plant something green and EDIBLE!!!

Wildfire, I hope your back's better soon.

Last night, I went for a HUGE grocery shop at the wholefoods place last night and by jingo, I'm all set! I've got so much healthy food in the house that there's no way I could go wrong. [knock wood.]

Had a bad episode at work the other day where I went mad for sweets--felt like an addict so I'm severely restricting my sugar intake now. Oooh, it was ugly.......

Healthy weekend, everybody!

ruthie
01-26-2002, 12:42 PM
Just as an FYI, I checked out that Team in Training's web site -- and I am so impressed! My cousin died of leukemia and I have a close family member with a rare form of lymphoma, so the idea of doing something that will raise funds for those cancers AND be good for my health is just awesome! I registered to have someone contact me about joining. Thanks, Venus!

Wildfire
01-26-2002, 03:53 PM
Grrrrrr....

Just when I was hating the fashion industry, I needed to go shopping. So off I hobbled to the mall...forget the stores in the actual mall that only sell sizes I can barely remember...I went to the department stores on either end. I ended up spending $173.00 on three bras with matching panties and a pair of black panties to go with a bra I already have. Is that ludicrous or what? First it took me two hours to actually find the bras in a 38DD cup....scarcer than hen's teeth, I'm tellin ya! Then the bras are a good $10 more than the exact same ones in a D cup. I'm only a size 14-16, which really isn't that huge....why is it so damn hard to find clothes? And why do I have to pay more because it's one size larger? It's not like there's THAT much more fabric involved, for pete's sake! Can you tell I'm just a little irked?:mad:
Victoria's Secret sells my size, but by the time I pay the duty to get it into Canada I don't save much. That's something I'd like to do someday....have a lingerie store for women that stocks sizes for normal people!

And now my back and my ankle (don't think I mentioned I twisted my ankle this week too) are both killing me. Thanks for the well wishes, I think my back will work itself out eventually. I don't think it's anything like a herniated disc or pulled muscle. Just did something in my sleep.

'K, I'm gonna take some more drugs and wallow in some light popcorn while I watch a movie with hubby....and have my water on the rocks. :D

flower
01-27-2002, 10:47 AM
First of all, Welcome Venus!!!!

Wildfire-I am fine, how are you feeling today????

Eydie-has the sugar monster tamed it's ugly head???? :lol: I such splurge the sugar from my diet as well. Maybe next week I will. Sounds like a date! :dizzy:

Ruthie-how are you???? I am sure you look wonderful 95% of the time that you walk by the mirror!!!! I will give you 4% for bad hair days and 1% for monthly acne!!!! :lol:

Punkinseed-how is the sewing coming along? I have a sewing machine. It is a reconditioned one. But I can never get the lower tention correct for more than 10 minutes and I get frustrated and quit. One of these days I will try again. I have a pair of pants to be hemmed that I got yesterday from Costco. Mom thought they looked way comfy. :^: They just brarely fit. No large meals. They look wonderful on though. No baggy fabric in sight. I think once I get myself modivated again, they will feel wonderful on.

Lamorgan-seedy Saturday sounds like fun. Since I have no dogs now, I think I may plant a garden. I had better seriously start planning as we have to do things way early here to avoid harvest in August. Nothing survives August in LV.

Amy-how are the early rounds going??? Are you getting used to it? I have noticed the same cars on the freeway as I go to work the last week. I have never had to drive far, or at the same time. It is wierd to have a schedule.

I start the The Great Indoors on Wednesday. Tomorrow is my last day at the college. I will miss my flexible schedule and working near the greenhouse. But I won't miss my boss's moodiness, being her vent board, the dull monotonous work, or the wondering what I will be doing all day.

Mom took me to Costco yesterday. I got lots of freezer meats, and some pantry snack items for the children. I will do another large shopping when I get paid so the supply doesn't get too low and we have to head off to fast food. Griffin must gain weight before next checkup. He is at 10% for weight. Not acceptable since he is growing taller yet not getting any heavier. It took me a while to find snack foods that he can eat without choking, with no dairy and little amounts of refined sugar that he will eat. I wish i had that problem!!!

I have been spending gobs of time with bf. We are getting along marvelously. Better than ever probably. Saturday nights are game nights. We played Yahtzee and who wants to be a millionare mini version last night. Monopoloy was last Sat. I picked up two games at the thrift store last weekend for 1$ each. We will try them next.

Well, off to do my annual Sunday laundry! Crazy!!!!! ~flower

Lamorgan
01-28-2002, 07:29 AM
Yum Yum,1% cottage cheese mixed with applesauce! Breakfast this morning... I'm starving! The moon is glorius out there, so full and bright.

I had my old Singer sewing machine out yesterday hemming some Gap Flare jeans my friend picked up for my daughter at Salvation Army. Perfect condition, just too long. They cost less than a dollar.

Had a pretty good weekend, suffering some pms, it's worse when I don't drink enough water, and I've been not drinking my water. So my breasts are really sore, and I'm very grumpy/sensitive.

Played Euchre on Sat night with our Euchre group, but it went way too late and I didn't get to bed until 2am so yesterday I slept late and then last night I had insomnia.

Flower ~ my daughter was always in the 10th percentile for growth. It was such a worry after the first child was at the other end of the scale. At age 1 her doctor wanted to do many tests to confirm that everything was ok, but we oped out. I took a look at my family history, and although I'm a tall 5'5" (ha ha), my mother and sisters height varied from 5' to 5'2". I figured she was going to be petite. Morgan will be lucky to make it to 5'3", I think. But she is the healthiest of all of the kids.

Wildfire what about La Senza? I haven't bought nice bras in years... My friend in town spends 150.00 on her bras, she goes to a shop in Toronto.

Edyie ~ I think that when you live in Southern Ontario a lot of the thrill in gardening is dreaming about it through the winter. I have some landscaping to do this year and I want to keep it kind of period with the house, with lots of old lilac and roses and things.

Have a great day to everyone ~

Lois

Venus Envy
01-28-2002, 08:16 AM
Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcomes!! I feel very much at home here.

Ruthie -- soooooooooooooooo glad you contacted Team in Training! They are the coolest people ever. You go, grrrrl!! It's a great feeling to do something that's good for us and even better for others.

Sometimes I get so into feeling my own aches and anguishes that I forget that there are others who don't have the same luxury as I do to choose whether to walk or work out or go biking ... or even to choose what to eat. Sort of puts things into perspective. (Not to say that I keep perspective ALL the time ...)

Anyway, it's neat to be here with y'all, and I am already learning lots of good things from some extraordinarily wise women.

Kim

Punkinseed
01-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Hello all!

The weekend went too quick... I hate that... :mad:
I didn't eat all that well which is something I really need to curb. I do this - say "I'm going to get healthy" then take 3 months to put any plans into action. I've been watching Discovery's Body Challenge and that's been motivating, also seeing a program on TV this weekend about obesity really got me thinking about not only what my body looks like on the outside - but more importantly, on the inside. Eeek!
I bought the weatherproof jacket, new shoes and sweats for a reason - guess I should use them and quit wasting my money... :rolleyes: Today I WILL walk...

Wildfire & Flower - *sigh*, the sewing went ok. I'm glad I bought extra fabric though. I haven't touched a sewing maching in oooh, about 9 years??? I did managed to get my 2 door snakes done with not much fabric left over. I didn't get my table curtains done because I didn't have an empty bobbin (excuses, excuses) and was just too plain lazy to walk to my Mom's to get one. I did get all the fabric cut out though!

Wildfire - Ouuuuch! I hope your back (oh, and ankle) feels better! Actually, I'm wondering if you might be walking funny on your hurt ankle - it may be what caused the back problem??
I know what you mean about the extra $$ for plus-sized clothes. Wal-Mart does that. Makes me SO mad! Like I'm not paying enough in other ways for being heavy now I need to pay you schmucks an extra $2 for a shirt?!?!? Geez...

Lamorgan - Yes, the moon's been beautiful! Out here in the boonies it's been so bright at night, it's been wonderful (except when I want to sleep). My cat's have been enjoying the night-time brightness too - they kept me up 'till midnight last night playing and tearing through the house. I guess my 8 month old kitty, Luna, is named appropriately, huh?? :) (Stella, her younger sister, has no excuse!).

Well, back to work and try to warm up. It's about 15 outside and even looking outside makes me cold!! Brrrrrrrr.... Spring IS coming, right?????

Terri :wave:

(today is "Accountability Monday")

Lamorgan
01-29-2002, 05:19 AM
Stella and Luna are your cat's names?? What wonderful names. My all-time favourite children's story is Stella Luna; it's about a small bat, who gets lost and ends up living with some birds. My cats all have dull names... (Thanks to children) Smokey, Morris, Tipsy, BJ, Wild Mama and Buttons.

Pop back later,

Lois

ruthie
01-29-2002, 05:48 AM
Waah, I'm tired, girls, why did you let the post sink to the bottom of the page and make me post at 5:25 AM when I'm sooooooo tired? :lol: I was up later than usual last night; went to XDH's house for dinner with his two bros, nephew and my DD. One of his bros was up from Florida and I haven't seen him in a couple years; I walked right past him in the lobby of the building! :o At any rate, I got home, did some reading as usual and didn't turn my light out till like 10:30, so I'm beat. I have typing to do this morning, so again, waaaaah. (If nothing else, I'm an excellent whiner.) Did I tell you guys the book I'm reading? It's by a philosopher named Al-Ghazali who lived about 1,000 years ago and did this long treatise on spirituality; this book is a section of that, and it's about learning to discipline yourself and control your desires. It's pretty cool so far, and even though it's 1,000 years old, I think it's going to be of help to me in my spiritual fight against living a life controlled by desire (I sure hope that made sense and didn't sound like blah blah blah blah blah).

Yes, the moon has been awesome the past couple of days, but it's making people act crazy. At work, we can always tell when it's full moon b/c it literally makes people act like insane idiots.

I fasted yesterday just b/c I could. It felt good.

Terri, I have the same problem getting myself to just get out there and do it. If you do, I will!

Kim, you're so right about perspective. Did anybody here see Chris Rock's special on HBO a few years ago? (I saw it in rerun on Comedy Central.) He does a bit where he says our problem in America is that we've got too much food.

Lois, I like your tip about water and PMS. I'm going to try it next time I start feeling symptoms.

Flower, thanks for the compliment! Good luck at your new job!

Wildfire, hope you're feeling better. Hey, drugs and movies -- sounds like a perfect evening in! :lol:

Eydie, I love Whole Foods. It can get expensive, but the more I think about how I want to live my life, the more I realize that buying organic and socially responsible foods is worth the money I make. And yes, being a parent is an awesome responsibility that I have at times failed at miserably. The one thing I do give myself credit for is realizing that my job has always been to prepare her for adulthood, not to make her be a pleasurable part of my life. I have a close friend whose daughter is a sophomore in college and my friend STILL hasn't adjusted to her being gone! Perhaps fortunately for her, the DD is on academic probation and will get kicked out if she doesn't improve her grades -- I don't if my friend is actually happy about that.

Sunday morning I spent about five and a half hours getting my head straight. I had been getting really depressed and, as I had posted, really upset about the Guy and my life and yadda yadda. I actually burned some incense while I purged my life of traces of the Guy -- deleted his e-mail messages (well, I saved them into a Word document), erased his voice mail messages I had saved, and surfed the internet reading and thinking and realizing all the reasons why I can't keep thinking about the empty aspects of my life and how my "real" life is going to be starting soon. I have to live my life now, too. I can't wait for the Guy, or for grad school, or for when I lose weight, or for when I quit my job, or any of those things. I have to be active and happy now. Since I stopped going to the bar, my weekends have consisted basically of sitting on the sofa, taking Xanax, watching TV and eating. Pretty sad, huh? I have to make myself go out and do things -- the trick is just to find people to do them with, but I have to work at it. So I got my mind right and then I spent the rest of the day catching up on school work I had neglected, then typing. Speaking of which....gotta go.

K guys, I have now revived the thread. Now get posting! Just send in a small blurb to say how you're doing generally and with your program! Take care.

Punkinseed
01-29-2002, 11:01 AM
Hello all...

Headache again today... another storm coming in. I really do wish I didn't have a barometric pressure sensor in my head. Really I do... Ug...

Lamorgan - Yup, Stella and Luna are my babies. Luna came first, she's almost 9 months old. I had her for almost a week before a name came to me. She was a whacky kitten and I wanted to name her something at least *somewhat* Pagan - it was a full moon and the term "moon crazy" came to mind, then Luna, the basis of lunatic. Stella, her sister from the next litter - same mother (my best friend owns the momma cat, named Demeter) is only 4 months old, and a polydactyl kitty. Stella is Italian for star, the perfect complement to my moon girl. It wasn't until much later that someone mentioned StellaLuna, the children's book. When my best friend brought Stella the 6 week old furball, home, she also brought me the book StellaLuna. I've toyed with getting a male named Sol for sun... but do I really need 3 cats??? heheheehe....

Ruthie - the book sounds really interesting! I've been trying to get through "The 4 Agreements" - but you can tell it was writen in another language and translated. For me it's been a difficult read. I'm also reading (simultaniously) Lord of the Rings, The Red Tent and a book by John Edward (love him!). I need to focus on one of the books though - I read too many at once and can't focus on any!:dizzy:

Well, I'm proud to say I've had one full day on program. Today is the start of the second day.... Finger's crossed and all my meals all ready planned!!!! :D

Later Gators!

Terri

Amyjo01
01-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Hey guys, could post a book today but that will have to wait until I actually have time. Just wanted to say hey. Not OP, Not caring at this moment- I can only juggle so many balls at one time and right now, diet and sleep are at the bottom of the list!

Just wanted to say hey!

Mornings aren't any better Flower, FYI!

Hugs to you all,
Amy
176/150-130

Wildfire
01-29-2002, 08:53 PM
Hi girls!

I did pretty good today. Ate sensibly and got that feeling of being able to control myself back! :D I also went grocery shopping after work to stock up on some good lunch stuff, which we were lacking. All I could find this morning to take was tomato soup and crackers and a granny smith apple. I was starving by the time I got home!

When I come back from Montreal I am going to treat myself to a Rodney Yee yoga video. I've heard such great things about him! My back is feeling better, possibly partly because of all the stretching I've been doing.

I bowled so horribly last night I offered to leave and let the team have my absentee score! :D They might have been better off. I didn't bowl over a 140 before handicap all night!

Flower, good luck with your first day on the new job tomorrow! Great to hear you're getting along so wonderfully with Chris.

Lamorgan, I checked LaSenza online for bra sizes, and they carry just a few in DD. I did pop into the store, but there wasn't a DD in the whole place.

Punkin, I've been reading the transcripts for the Body Challenge online, but they're a little scrambled compared to watching the show. Glad your adventure in sewing turned out okay. :) Stella and Luna are great names....I say go for the Sol, though! My chats noir are Salem and Sherlock.

Amyjo, hang in there!

Venus, how was your day?

Ruthie, sounds like you're sorting things out, that's good. You are so right about living for now and being happy now. I even hate to shop at times because I want to wait until I'm thin again to buy new clothes....but I still need to look good now! Ooh...speaking of which, I bought a new coat tonight and stuck it in the closet without even trying it on because I had my hands full of groceries.

Gotta go do that!

Let's have a great OP day tomorrow!

flower
01-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Once upon a time the colors of the world started to quarrel: all claimed that they were the best, the most important, the most useful, the favorite.

GREEN said: "Clearly I am the most important. I am the sign of life and of hope. I was chosen for grass, leaves, trees--without me, all animals would die. Look out over the countryside and you will see that I am in the majority."

BLUE interrupted: "You only think about the Earth, but consider the sky and sea. It is the water that is the basis of life and drawn up by the clouds from the deep sea. The sky gives space and peace and serenity. Without my peace, you would all be nothing."

YELLOW chuckled:"You are all so serious. I bring laughter, gaiety, and warmth to the world. The sun is yellow, the moon is yellow, the stars are yellow. Every time you look at a sunflower, the whole world starts to smile. Without me, there would be no fun."

ORANGE started next to blow her temper. "I am the color of health and strength. I may be scarce but I am precious for I serve the needs of human life. I carry the most important vitamins. Think of carrots, pumpkins, oranges, mangos, and pawpaws. I don't hang around all the time, but when I fill the sky at sunrise or sunset, my beauty is so striking that no one gives another thought to any of you".

RED could stand it no longer. He shouted out: "I am the ruler of all of you! I am blood! Life's blood! I am the color of danger and of bravery. I am willing to fight for a cause. I bring fire to the blood! I am the color of passion and of love, the red rose, the poppy and the poinsettia. Without me, the earth would be as empty as the moon!"

PURPLE rose up to his full height. He was very tall and spoke with great pomp: "I am the color of royalty and power. Kings, chiefs, and bishops have always chosen me for I am a sign of authority and wisdom. People do not question me, they listen and obey".

Finally, INDIGO spoke, much more quietly than all the others, but with just as much determination: "Think of me. I am the color of silence. You hardly notice me, but without me you all become superficial. I represent thought and reflection, twilight and deep water. You need me for balance and contrast, for prayer and inner peace."

And so all the colors went on boasting and quarreling, each convinced of their own superiority. Soon, their quarreling became louder and louder. Suddenly there was a startling flash of bright lightening! Thunder rolled and boomed! Rain started to pour down relentlessly.

The colors crouched down in fear drawing close to one another for comfort.

In the midst of the clamor, RAIN began to speak: "You foolish colors, fighting amongst yourselves, each trying to dominate the rest. Don't you know you were each made for a special purpose, unique and different? Join hands with one another and come to me."

Doing as they were told, the colors united and joined hands. The RAIN continued: "From now on, when it rains, each of you will stretch across the sky in a great bow of colors as a reminder that you can all live in peace. The rainbow is a sign of hope for tomorrow".

And so, whenever a good rain washes the world, and a rainbow appears in the sky, let us remember to appreciate one another.

author-unknown

ruthie
01-30-2002, 06:00 AM
Well, chicks, as Venus already knows, I am registering today with Team in Training. I couldn't be more excited. I think it's going to be a great opportunity to do some good for others and for myself.

I met with my personnel department yesterday to go over some issues regarding continuing benefits when I leave -- or as I put it, if an employee should hypothetically leave ;) . I believe I will be giving notice for May 3! Woo hoo! :D Which means I will most likely actually be giving that notice in about a month, since I wanted to give my boss generous lead time. Even though it's going to be rough financially, I am so happy to finally be starting the process of moving on, breaking away from this old life and traveling on down the line to the next! I have been thinking just a little bit about all the things I can do during May and June to get ready for all the changes in my and DD's lives. It will be wonderful to have the time free to take care of business.

Hey Flower, cool story -- today's your first day on the new job, right? Good luck! I'm sure you'll be great.

Wildfire, sounds like you're off to a good start. I agree with you on the issue of buying clothes even though you're not at the weight you want to be -- in keeping with my new philosophy of not waiting for my "thin" life to start, I have been thinking of buying some new clothes. I wear the same damn clothes every six days or so. That's ridiculous. I have a couple Rodney Yee videos. They are very ... mellow and even-paced.

Punkinseed, what is "The Four Agreements"? Congrats on the one day OP down!

Amy, I know what you mean about juggling ... I'm forever dropping one ball or another! Hang in there!

deleted2
01-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Wanted to say a quick 'good morning' before work. this is my 5th day OP---feels great! I'm rediscovering what it feels like to take care of myself in all kinds of ways.

Sounds like everyone's doing well----about the Rodney Yee videos, I have a few and they're all great--not to mention Rodney's quite easy on the eyes! :D

Will check in later!

Venus Envy
01-30-2002, 09:00 AM
It's very encouraging to read how well everyone's doing with daily struggles as we work our way into 2002. I think the most helpful thing of all is to know that others DO struggle every day -- and that we're all perfectly mortal in having some days that just aren't perfect. Thank you all for sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Ruthie, I'm so excited about knowing another TNT team member!! (( (( congrats! )) )) You'll probably start training fairly soon, right? Our Raleigh NC chapter starts group walks this Saturday. Anyway, I know you'll have a blast!

I've lost 2 pounds this week, mostly in anticipation of getting back to my regular routine and being extremely careful about journaling my points. While I was journaling last week, I noticed I wasn't getting enough fruits and veggies. And then someone (not sure which thread) miraculously posted a link to a site that recommended ''creating a still life'' for yourself every day -- setting a plate of fruit on your desk or table, and snacking from it throughout the day. I've been doing that for the past two weeks, and it seems to be helping me stay out of the cookies (this has been hard, as I'm just starting to date, and I've been freaking out about that). It seems expensive, but I don't spend on fast food or chips or cookies or all those fat-laden horrors I used to eat, so I'm actually saving a lot of money even if I spend $5 a day on fruits I love. PLUS, it's such a beautiful addition to my office!

Well, back to the grind ...

Lamorgan
01-30-2002, 09:14 AM
:dizzy:
This morning when I left the house at 5:30, the world was covered in a fine layer of ice. The trees, the shrubs, the grass, the mailboxes and it was so cool to hear the trees kind of clinking in the breeze. There was a fine rain, but it wasn't too slippery, only on the wooden steps here and there. Then the fine rain turned into a kind of ice thing, and now it's snowing.

Tea tastes flat today. Sigh. I yelled at my youngest who decided that he HATES his snowpants. They are a spare pair, with over the shoulder straps, because the other kind that he likes (no silly shoulder straps) are too tight. So I shrieked at him "SHUT-UP" and that is a word I NEVER use, let alone hurl it at the kids. So he was sad, and I felt badly. I hate sending them off for a day of school after I've yelled at them. The 12 year old daughter didn't want to wear her boots, so I yelled at her too. Luckily the 9 year old is wise and didn't do anything to cause yet another spectacle from mother, he simply got ready and went.

I went to my local (tiny) public library yesterday, I'm hoping to irritate them enough to hire me. Last year I applied for a job as an adult page, but didn't get it. The job has come up again and now I'll be agitated for the next few weeks, until I find out whether I have it or not. It's only 10 hours a week, but would be a foot in the door to be in the system. When I graduate, I would have first dibs on the jobs that come up within the 6 libraries in the surrounding towns.

I feel a bit as though I'm a nervous wreck. After the disappointment last year when I didn't get the job, it took me forever to get up enough nerve to swallow my pride and go back into the library. It was awkward as ****.

I did a tarot reading and got good positive (yes you will get the job) cards.

This morning I had a huge bowl of soup, cabbage/veg/hamburger. Nothing else would do, I had to have savory. But it filled me up.

I think I'll go do some art, all this energy needs to be focused.

Have a wonderful day to you all ~ Hope you have a great first-day-of-work Flower!

Lois

flower
01-30-2002, 10:39 AM
nope, no first day for me. my drug test results aren't back so I gotta wait. :( :?: :mad: There is nothing more madening than knowing that you could pass a million drug tests, yet I must wait for proof to be able to start. Such a messed up society. Everyone is treated guilty until proven innoscent! I was so looking forward to today. I am gonna try to enjoy my day and find my hidden silver lining! ~flower

Punkinseed
01-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Good morning ladies :D

I'm OP, but woke up this morning SO hungry that I was nauseous and all that sounded good was a PBnJ. So I made one, it was icky, but it calmed my stomach down. I also made it with 1/2 the peanut butter of "normal" sandwiches, which was good.

I WALKED YESTERDAY!!!!! :dizzy: Yes, it was 30 degrees and I froze my butt off - but I did it. One mile - not much, but considering I haven't been physically active in yeeeeears, it's a start!

Wildfire - Rodney Yee, oh yes... I'm going to agree with Eydie here. Good teacher and quite a treat to watch too. The bendy-twisty woman he works with sometimes bugs me though... no honey, we can't ALL do back bends like you!!!

Ruthie - "The Four Agreements" is by Donn Miguel (Donn as in what I think is the equivalent of a Mexican knight of sorts??). The agreements are the things in life that you KNOW to be truths and that we are all essentially on the same page on. Everyone recognizes them as truths (agreements being something we all agree on) and apparently these specific 4 agreements are some that he thinks will make us better people by adopting them. So far I've only gotten to the first agreement - being impecable with your word. It goes into depth on how much of an impact our spoken/writen word has and how we can use our word for good or to harm. Like I said, it was writen in Spanish originally and I'm having a hard time following the English translation as he keeps repeating himself (sometimes 4 times, just in different words). The message is great, if I can get through the rest of the book!
He also has a long paragraph in the first agreement on how words can work "black magic" which I really, really have a hard time with his terminology because he's not using the term "black magic" as an euphamism, but literally - and implying evil. Also implying that only in being Christian can you be "good". Ug... I mean, can't I just learn something without feeling my beliefs "attacked"? Whatever, guess I'll just never be "good"... :rolleyes: (mini-rant over)

Lamorgan - Good luck in your quest to be irritating! I hope they hire you on so at least you've got your foot in the door! Don't think of it as irritating, call it "constant, somewhat bothersome, persistant attempts" to get them to open their eyes. They NEED you - remember that! ;)

I'm off... gotta try to wake up so I can get some work done. Another cuppa tea might help, but I just want my bed...

Wildfire
01-30-2002, 07:01 PM
Another good day. I'm not actually counting points again, yet. I'm working on portion control and putting an end to mindless munching. Had a reasonable breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and my mouth is closed for the night.

We are in for our first snowstorm of the season tonight! Getting to work in the morning will be an adventure. We don't stay home for any reason. :rolleyes:

Flower, great post about the colors of the rainbow! Did they give you any idea how long before your tests come back?

Ruthie, May 3 will be here before you know it. Can you believe January is gone already? Although I have a closet full of clothes, I seem to wear the same dozen or so things, too. Probably because my size varies from month to month, and only that many are comfortable at a time! :D Rodney's tapes are mellow and even-paced, huh? Maybe I could learn to transfer some of that mellowness and even-pacedness (is that a word?) to my life. It could use some!

Have any of you found that although your weight stays the same, your body changes? I'm the same weight now that I was three years ago, but things I wore then are tight in the waist now. :( Gotta get back to those crunches!

Eydie, congrats on the five day streak! Yes, I've see Rodney and he would be acceptable to gaze at! :D

Venus, *whoo hoo*....2 lbs!!! You go, girl! Now, what's this about you starting to date???? ;)

Lamorgan, I'm thinking the moon must be affecting us here....we've all been cranky and short-tempered, too. Keeping my fingers crossed you'll get the library job!

Punkin, I get that "need food or I'm gonna puke" feeling some mornings, too. It's horrible. Must have something to do with blood sugar levels. Way to go on the walk!

It sounds like we're on an upswing here...let's stay on top of it!

deleted2
01-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Lamorgan, You're right about getting your foot in the door at the library. That's how it worked with my husband; for the past 10+ years he's had a job with the library that he adores!

Would you believe it was 70 degrees here today?! Very odd; it's normally cold this time of year. I'm not questioning it, just enjoying! I bought an annual pass for a local park and I've walked there the past 5 days. It's great--regular walking and lots of trails and I feel safe there too as long as I don't venture too far off. More afraid of bears than 2-leggeds!

Punkinseed, I read the 4 Agreements and loved it--altho I think you can read the inside cover and get it as much out of that as reading the entire book. I don't recall the Christian aspect of it---maybe I just blocked that part out! :lol:

Ever have that stage in your weight loss where it's just plain fun? I'm happy to say that that's where I am now. Like making it into a game? For example, I tell myself if I don't have this extra piece of toast I'm saving 100 calories, and later if I have an orange instead of a cookie...." I'm so easily amused!

:D

Lamorgan
01-31-2002, 08:54 AM
I absolutely cannot believe that the school buses are running today, with all the snow and freezing rain that is happening out there. My kids are walkers, but usually if the buses are cancelled, the walkers can stay home and the school doesn't care...

Oh well.

I belong to an organic food club, and re'd my order last night... Lots of yummy healthy foods to fill my larder. It really is worth looking into joining or forming a food co-op if you want to purchase healthy foods that cost less than the health food stores.

Eydie, what does your husband do at the library? I'm going for an adult Page job, but am taking Library Technician at Mohawk College part time. And yes, I can relate how the whole diet thing feels when it pulls together and seems to just roll along... but I'm not quite there now.... :) It's a wonderful feeling to be that much on top of it.

It was surreal out this morning walking in the storm before the plows were out. Everything looks so different, really cool.

Diet is so-so. Not terrible, but we're low on groceries so cooking lite becomes a true challenge when the vegies are gone and all that is left are the starchy pasta and potatos! I'm even out of carrots and onions and garlic! If the weather keeps up, may not get to the store today.

Will have to make soup somehow with no onions and garlic, sigh. I did get some Miso with my food order so maybe I should use it.

Eldest son is lurking, he is in need of the computer, need to go...

Lois

flower
01-31-2002, 10:05 AM
Lamorgan-I am thinking good job vibes for you! It is cold here too, but thankfully we are mild compared to the rest of you! The town I was considering moving to is -13 right now!

I have been up since 4 am. Grif is so congested he is not sleeping well. Babys are nose breathers and he sounds like a freight train! We finally decided to get up. I took a hot bath, read the paper and now I am going to clean my desk. I cleaned our bedroom closet yesterday. Yook over 10 hours. I have tons of crud stored in there. I destroyed lots of paperwork. I have room for my shoes on the floor now and I found the mates to all of them! Imagine that!

As for TGI, they said they would call by tomorrow to reschedule my orientation. I have the impression that I was not the only one not able to go to yesterdays orientation. So, time to wait on the phone! ~flower

Punkinseed
01-31-2002, 11:19 AM
Happy Friday-eve!

Good morning all... I am SO happy tomarrow's Friday! I am planning and anticipating next week's Taco Bell visit - it's been 3 weeks since I've indulged in my favorite bean burritoes and I think if I plan, I can do it.

I broke out my step yesterday. I have a wonderful full sized step that I got from Jazzercise when I worked for them and it's been collecting dust for years. I got through about 15 minutes before my legs were threatening to leave me. I decided moderation is probably best and I DID want to be able to walk to work today, so I quit for the day. But it did feel good!!!!

Wildfire - Yes, your body can change and weight stay the same - it's all in the muscle. It bugs me when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" - a pound of muscle and a pound of fat still weigh a pound - it's just that the muscle takes up approximately 1/3 of the space of fat. So, if you quit doing crunches, your weight may not change, but the space that the muscle took up can be easily taken up by fat, which, pound for pound takes up a LOT more space on your body - and your weight wouldn't change - just the dimentions. :p

Eydie - The whole Christianity "thing" in The 4 Agreements is heavily implied - not outright. Maybe I just read more inbetween the lines than I should... I also think you're right - I coulda' just read the jacket cover! :rolleyes:
I do know what you mean by weight loss being "fun" eventually! I'm only into week 2 (still somewhat honeymooning) but since this is the 4th time I sometimes think I'm a bit excempt from the "honeymoon" period. I know it's going to be a pain occasionally. But I do enjoy figuring out all the various ways of coordinating a day's meals to make them healthy, filling and exciting (nothing worse than the same thing day after day). Today for lunch I took some of my homemade chicken soup, put it on my whole wheat corkscrew pasta and some saltines. Dinner will be breakfast (LOVE breakfast for dinner!). I've been alternating vegitarian with meat meals almost every other day. It IS fun!!!:dizzy:

Guess that's it for now... gotta work so I can loaf tomarrow!

deleted2
01-31-2002, 06:34 PM
I went to one of those all-you-can-eat buffet places today and lived to tell the tale! I ended up having a great salad with lots of veggies and fat free dressing, and a baked sweet potato with pico de gallo and corn, and it was enough. And for dessert I had a small wedge of cornbread--it was so sweet it was like cake. So let it be known that it can be done! I'm stunned! Ah, celebrate those little victories!

Usually I walk out of one of those places so stuffed I barely know my name!
:lol:

Lamorgan, my husband is the bookmobile librarian in a rural area. He loves it and is very well-loved by the patrons. He truly takes joy in finding the right books for all those different personalities! It's fun to hear him talk about it. Best of luck in getting the job--speaking of getting a foot in the door--he has a friend there that started out as the janitor and now she's the assistant branch head.

Anybody have any healthy plans for this weekend? We're going to go to the park and hike some trails that we've never done before.

:) :) :)

flower
01-31-2002, 07:50 PM
I start work at 12 noon tomorrow. Now I get to be nervous! ~flower

ruthie
02-01-2002, 05:39 AM
Don't be nervous, Flower, you'll do great! Just think of all you've accomplished and lived through in your personal life -- and this is just a job! Good luck!

Can't stay, gotta type. Later.

Amyjo01
02-01-2002, 09:20 AM
Good morning guys...

It is pouring rain in the deep south :( Which was not on my game plan because today was the first day in almost 3 weeks that I was going to have time to take a long walk. The last day that I had time it was raining also :( So what does that tell you? I have know excuse not to study, HEHE!

Well Took my first test yesterday for the semester. I made a not so cool 78, the class average was a 79 so I don't guess I have alot to complain about but I have two test next week, that I have to make good grades on... 78 isn't going to cut it. I can pull this one grade up but if I blow the other two tests, the tests are just suppose to get worse and worse so, that is a no go!

I have had one day OP this week. I have been a bad girl.. way, way too much fast food. I had Wendy's for the first time in 6-8-10 months. Tasted great going down but my tummy wasn't too happy with me. I have got to figure out a way to slow my self down food wise because with my schedule (none-stop 24/7 for the most part) I just don't have time to exercise but the stress of school has got the hand to mouth thing going. I am taking in way, way too much sugar because I am drinking way way too much coffee and I can't tolerate artificial sweetner in anything hot, it gives me a migraine.

We are getting a treadmill with our income tax money if there is any this year, and that way I can read and walk which should help but when that is going to be I am not sure. Well, I have to balance the check book, pay some bills, clean some house and study so I had better depart from the computer for the time being.

Hope that everyone is great, Flower congrats on starting the new job.. hope it is grand!

Hugs to you all,
Amy
176/150/130

Lamorgan
02-01-2002, 09:37 AM
We had an ice storm here and it was a wild, wild morning out there delivering papers... Had to help daughter since there were power lines down on her route. Just got home, going to have breakfast and coffee, then a long shower. Many surrounding towns have no hydro, so we are so far quite lucky!

At least I have a gas stove, so if the power goes out I can drink tea.

Tonight was to be our Owl Prowl; may have to call and cancel. :(

February has come in with a loud growl!

Amy ~ perhaps you could fill your bag with low-point snacks to have on hand. Those baby carrots are great and no work. You probably don't have time to bake low-fat muffins...

Good luck.

Have a great first day of work tomorrow Flower!

Wildfire; how is it in T.O. today??? This weather is attempting to mess up my weekend!!! Argh!

Off to eat.

Bye.

Lois

Punkinseed
02-01-2002, 09:55 AM
Happy Friday!

Eydie - Well done at that buffet!!! I always have problems at those kinds of places... I just like too many things (and like having a LOT of too many things) :devil:

Flower - Good luck on your first day of work! Go get 'em!!! :cool:

I've gotta get... Stella, my kitty, has to go get her first rabies shot this morning. It always makes me nervous to introduce them to new things like this. My other kitty, Luna, went into anaphylactic shock when she had her first set of shots. Needless to say, she's going to stay an unvaccinated indoor kitty!

I'm off...

Venus Envy
02-01-2002, 10:13 AM
Flower, congrats on the job!!

LaMorgan, every time I read the quote at the end of your posts, I grin. You've got so much chutzpah -- you WILL NOT be denied that job!

Lamorgan
02-01-2002, 12:15 PM
I want it so bad I can taste it... It's been nearly a year of wanting it, after the initial rejection and I don't know what I'll do if I don't get it again!!!!!!!

My 14 year old thinks I'll go into a major depression, like go to bed for a year (with my computer) and let the children go wild....

The ice has all blown out of the trees, but the wind is ferocious. Wind agitates me to no end.

Hope everyone is warm today, I'm going to wrap myself up in a blanket and do my homework.

L

ruthie
02-02-2002, 08:31 AM
Hey chicks. Guess what -- I am defrosting my freezer! Wow! If you knew how undomestic I am, you'd know what a big deal that is. And I'm really defrosting it -- making sure all the ice goes away.

I'm also freezing b/c my damn apartment is so cold...brrr...I'm making myself some oatmeal to see if that will warm me up.

Everybody sounds like they're truckin on...I should be writing a paper that's overdue...but I had to stop and officially change ISPs b/c my former ISP had notified me that they were switching to someone else, and I had until March 1 to deal with it. As of this morning, however, I couldn't access any site on the web except their re-registration site -- sucks, huh? Fortunately, I had already signed up with a new ISP but was waiting for their software to come in the mail so I wouldn't have to try to figure out how to reconfigure. Instead, I called them on the phone and they walked me thru it, so now I'm up and running and can do more research for that paper which I should be doing.

I think I'm over wanton eating now that I'm done with the fast
:lol: . I'm about ready to start chowing down daily on veggies and fruits. I have breaded eggplant cutlets (a kosher brand, very thin and light on calories, mmm...), corn and broccoli in my freezer that I'd rather cook than put back in the newly de-iced freezer. Any suggestions? I should go through all the cookbooks people have been giving me for gifts lately.

Sorry I didn't respond personally...feeling too goofy right now. My oatmeal is ready and I think I'll eat it while it's hot and surf the net a bit, now that I can! Later, chicks!

flower
02-02-2002, 03:17 PM
Hello. First day went fine. I will update more about that after I actually do some work. Yesterday was just orientation. Being talked at and watching videos. BORING!

I am going for a work, downtown has a motorcycle raley. Then I am doing bills and then doing our taxes. More tomorrow. ~audri

ruthie
02-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Hey gals. I got my training schedule yesterday for the Team in Training fundraising marathon. Yikes! It's really hitting me -- I'm going to be training for a marathon! I've started fundraising already...I got official permission from my family to say it's in memory of my cousin who died of leukemia at age 35 and in honor of my dad, who is a lymphoma survivor. So woo hoo! I'm psyched! Thanks again, Kim.

I was as lazy as I possibly could be yesterday...just unbelievable. Well, I did do some reading for school. Today I have to go to work :( not for my regular job but for a research project my boss kindly asked if I'd be interested in working on -- for mucho $$ per hour :D . More dinero for the savings account, thank God. Then I have to type. I was also planning to go to Macy's for their big blowout sale, and get some stuff to assist DD in her transition to college (luggage, bedding, towels) plus I need a vacuum cleaner since mine died (probably of neglect, LOL). Then my sister called yesterday to invite me over to watch the Super Bowl with her and her DD (who's 4 years old), and I couldn't really say no. Then I still have more school work. And now I'm wasting time when I should be out distributing fundraising flyers to my neighbors in my complex. So later, girls.

Hope everyone's well and feeling good about themselves!

Lamorgan
02-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Good evening everybody... We had an incredibly busy weekend, much fun, saw some owls at the Owl Prowl, and bought some seeds at Seedy Saturday. Two of my kids had speeches due tomorrow so I've been helping with homework for hours. Heading off to bed now.

I'll drop in in the morning,

Lois

flower
02-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Where in the world did my weekend go? On the good side, I have groceries in the house, my bills are paid and my taxes are done! I am almost ready for my first full day of work. We are unpacking stuff. Which is a good way to get comfortable with everyone and not worrying about making a goof. I have a healthy lunch packed. I colored my hair last night. I can't wear eye makeup becuase I have pink eye, but hopefully that will clear up soon. (I have gel for it). Chat again sometime when I find time. I am so not used to working ft!!!! ~flower

Lamorgan
02-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Have a WONDERFUL first day of work, Flower. Congrats Ruthie for your decision to take part in Team in Training. I can't imagine doing a marathon.

Today I am alone in the house, and loving it. Kids all back at school and it is so quiet here! I'm going to have a long soak in the tub and make some miso soup. Then homework, and errands in town.

On program today, stocked up on healthy groceries this weekend!

Hello to everyone else too!

Lois

Punkinseed
02-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Hello everyone!

Happy weigh in Monday! Are you ready for this????

~ 5 pounds gone ~

WooooHOOooooo!!!!! :dizzy: Ok, so keeping a journal and drinking gallons of water works... sheesh, every time I start to loose weight I wonder why I waited so long to get started... So I'm down a total of 6.5 now... yeah!

I sewed my table curtains this weekend and they turned out perfect! I was shocked that they weren't crooked or mishappen somehow... just amazed that they turned out exactly as I envisioned. Complete with velcro backing so I can take off individual panels to get under the table easier.

That's it for now... my weight loss treat today is to do some reading. I started the new John Edward book and so far it's really good!

deleted2
02-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the inspiration, Punkinseed! 5 pounds--you must be feeling great!!!

What color is your hair now, Flower? I have a salt/pepper thing happening with my hair now and I'm toying with the idea of coloring mine--altho everytime I do I actually miss my grey hair!

flower
02-04-2002, 09:31 PM
My legs, feet and back hurt! I will need some time to get use to this. The freaking Rio offered me a position via email today. I declined. I may or may not regret this, but just the fact that he made me wait over 2 months was all the reason to stay with TGI. Even if I would make 2 more an hour. And it is closer. But my girlfriend quit there and I do not want to have to fill her shoes, nor do I want to have to deal with the politics. Besides I have lots of new black and white clothes!

My hair color is a copper mahogony. ~flower

ruthie
02-05-2002, 05:40 AM
Just a quick one, then I have to go type. Hey, I got recruited for additional research work (in addition to what I'm doing now on the weekends) for good $$, so thank God! I should be able to have a good chunk o' change when I (God willing) go to grad school. Just means I'll be doing nothing but studying or working for the next few months. Oh yeah, and walking -- gotta start today with an easy pace 3 miles, which is fine. In a month I'm supposed to be able to walk 10 miles :o . Fortunately, the weather should be getting warmer as I progress. The good thing about having so much to do is that it will keep me from eating, I suppose, and hopefully from feeling that low-level depression that I have decided is a result of my current life -- job that I hate, teenage kid, kid leaving soon, about to transition but not there yet, yadda yadda, you've heard it all before. I think (although I could be wrong) that once I quit my job I will be measurably happier.

Flower, give yourself time to get used to the job ... I'm sure you'll settle in ok.

Eydie, my former hairdresser used to beg to put a rinse in my hair to cover up the few strands of silver -- I just laughed at him. I EARNED those grays, damn it! Each one corresponds to some crazy escapade DD pulled!

Punkinseed, congrats on the loss! Go go go! Journaling, huh? I've been thinking ... anyone interested in reviving the journaling thread? I've been trying to get my nerve up to actually write down what I eat (scary sometimes), and if someone else wants to do a thread, I will too.

Lois, glad you got to do your Owl Prowl. I have been thinking that someday in my future (when I have a real life, not four jobs) I would like to join a local Audobon Society. I've been taken with birds all my life, but just with birds sort of generally; it might be nice to know which birds are what.

All right, didn't I say this would be short? I am such a blabbermouth. Gotta go now. Take care, everyone.

Wildfire
02-05-2002, 08:23 AM
I'm baaaaccckkkkk! And guess what? I lost 3 lbs while I was in Montreal! All that walking and being too busy to eat other than when my stomach was growling....now if I can just keep that going.

Ruthie, I'll start posting on the food journal if you're game. Anyone else want to join in?

Punkin, congrats on the loss!

Flower, consider it fate that the Rio waited too long and you're unavailable now. It wasn't meant to be.

Lamorgan, Eydie, Venus, Amyjo....hello!

I'm home for the day since I already booked the time off. I got back from Montreal earlier than I'd planned. Now I have to run out for a few necessities...like TEA...because I came home to a messy apartment and no groceries. Grrrr.

I'll be back later.

Lamorgan
02-05-2002, 09:00 AM
Wildfire; the only thing I hate more than being out of tea, is making the tea and discovering that the nasty children used the last drop of milk in their cereal!

It's synchronicity Flower that the job offer came in after you had taken another job. Very poor of the management.

Ruthie, are you supposed to work up to 10 miles a day?? Or a week? I can see 3 miles a day, in good weather.

Congrats Pumpkinseed for the loss!

I have grey coming in too... I do feel I've earned them, and really don't want to colour to cover up the grey. Sometimes I get mesmerized gazing in the mirror at these grey hairs. They are so different from the others and I have to fight the impulse to pull them out so I can look at them closer. Weird, huh?? Anyway, I'm opting for some blond streaks in my hair. I used to be blond when I was younger, but in the past 10 years I wear hats in the summer so my hair doesn't really go light anymore. It's a light brown now, and I think the blond streaks would 'wake me up' a bit.

I like my grey, but don't like the mousy brown.

Saw a fabulous straw hat at the Royal Botanical Gardens last weekend, I love straw hats.

Think I'm going to get my eyelashes dyed this week.

I'd join in the food journal, although I still eat the same old, same old for breakfast every morning...

Lois

Punkinseed
02-05-2002, 11:29 AM
Good morning all...

Icky morning... woke up dizzy, tingly, chilly and nauseous. Not that I hate to "go out into the world", but it seems if I could just stay cooped up working in my Mom's front room like I have for 2 years, I wouldn't end up with some bug. Darn public! ;) Oh well, chicken soup with rice for dinner (and lunch...).

If you start a journal thread, I'd post! There's nothing better to open your eyes about what you've been putting in your mouth than seeing it in writing!

Flower - You've inspired me to rev up my red. I'm gonna do a rinse and spice it up a bit. It IS time!

Ruthie - Congrats on the extra research money!

Wildfire - WoooHoooo on that loss!! A growly tummy feels kinda good doesn't it? I mean, not for long, but just feeling your body telling you "HEY! Did someone cut your throat or are we gonna EAT????"

Lamorgan - dying eyelashes?? Can you do that? Safely? Coooool.... Being a fair redhead mine are pretty invisible unless there's mascara on 'em. As for grey, mine is popping up in my eyebrows. I used to pull them out, but realized that the others sympathized and 5 more would turn grey out of respect for their newly plucked brethren. :rolleyes:

S'all for now. Gonna work so I can go home early.

deleted2
02-05-2002, 02:24 PM
and Ruthie, the line I always use when someone comments on my grey hair is, 'it's not grey, it's silver!' Maybe when the urge to color it gets strong, I'll just buy one of those really wild, no committment, rinse-out colors! :)

Instead of walking on the treadmill and watching TV while I walk I've been going to a state park that's on the way home from work. It's a different feeling altogether on many levels--I'm living it! Going to be beautiful in the spring!

I was in an odd food mood today. I even bought a 3 musketeers bar--haven't had one in years. Oh well, it's done, just one of those things. I get my most intense chocolate cravings at the end of my period, strangely.

Wildfire, congrats on the weight loss!

Lamorgan, are you planning your garden?

Hi Punkinseed and Flower! Where are you, Amy and Venus?

Wildfire
02-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Great to see some action on the food journal! I'm low today, but I'm feeling satisfied food-wise. Funny how I swing like that....for a while I eat non-stop it seems, then I don't want to eat.

Punkin, yes, that growly feeling is good sometimes. Reminds me that I'm the one in control, not my stomach! Hope you feel better soon! Oh, and glad your table skirts turned out so well.

Eydie, some vague memory somewhere in the back of mind is telling me that 3 Musketeers (yum!) is one of the lower-point chocolate bars, so don't sweat it!

Lamorgan, it was living with my nasty child who repeatedly would take the last of the milk so I couldn't have my tea in the morning and would have to sit on my hands not to strangle her that taught me to drink it black when necessary. I prefer just a splash of 1% milk for color, but if it's not there I'll have it black.

Flower, how was work?

Ruthie, did you get those three miles in?

Venus, come out and play!

Amyjo, we know you're busy, but if you're reading we're thinking about you!

ruthie
02-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Well, I went to the mall on the way home and got some new sweats as well as a pedometer, which I don't think I set right. I walked a route tonight (brrr) that I measured in my car as 3 miles, but my pedometer said I walked 1.2. I think I set my stride length too short; I tried to measure it myself and I'm not very smart about stuff like that. When DD gets home from work I'll have her help me. Or maybe there's something about the difference between measuring in a car and on foot that I don't know? Anyone?

Congrats on the loss, Wildfire!

I was climbing a very steep hill on my walk tonight and I started thinking to myself, you can do it, no distractions, just focus, no distractions, no excuses, and I thought how apt that is for so many things in my life. So that's my new motto: no distractions, no excuses.

ruthie
02-06-2002, 05:48 AM
Good morning, chicks. You will see by my food journal that I have fallen prey as usual to the evening snacking syndrome. I have to work work work on avoiding that! I can feel that I've made some strides in getting my feeble brain focused on the right things, so I feel confident that if I keep hammering away I'll break that habit, and eventually break the habit altogether of eating for comfort, which is why I think I do that. Last time I went grocery shopping I bought one of those little bear containers filled with honey, and I thought it was so cute, but it turns out he's an evil bear, calling to me night after night, wrecking my program...

I feel just a little, well stiff, not so much sore, this morning after my first walk in ages last night. Lois, to answer your question about the training...the 10 miles is on my "long" day, which is Sunday, not every day. The schedule goes like this, starting from Monday: rest-easy-medium-easy-rest-medium-long. The rest days, obviously, are no-walking days; easy means easy pace, working on technique more than speed; medium is a day focusing on speed; and long is the greatest distance day, which is always Sunday, the day of the week the marathon will be on. I definitely need to get that pedometer issue straightened out so I know how far I'm walking. I forgot to ask DD last night.

Last night during that climb up the hill I realized that there is potential for synthesis of all the goals I'm working towards right now, if I just narrow them down to the most important few (only so many balls I can juggle at one time) and stay focused. I've dropped the idea of the Guy altogether; he is a distraction, not a goal. I really flip flop on which I'd prefer, anyways; a single life or one complicated by a man :lol: . I have known a number of people who are single for years and years and perfectly content; I might want to think about that. At any rate, I just need to get DD successfully out of the house, work on my spiritual/religious self (that's a whole other message board, LOL), train for this marathon (as opposed to trying to lose weight), and successfully get my BS and get my butt into grad school or a job in journalism if I don't get into grad school. That's it ... that's all I'm thinking about now.

I'm calling out sick today -- been planning that for a few days. I need to get caught up on school work, and I need to refresh myself. That job is like a toxin. Starting next week, I'm off three Fridays in a row, so that will be good. Then I'll give notice.

Punkinseed, I hope you feel better!

Yeah, where are Amy and Venus?

flower
02-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi. I got dressed for work but I think I may go get undressed so I can wash my hair. It itches, too much dust in it. Work is fine, but that last hour is a killer. I was so physically beat last night. I was wishing I didn't have a clutch bacause I was too tired to drive! Not sleepy tired, just physical kind. I wonder if I was 40 pounds lighter (goal) would the work be easier???? I made new furniture price tickets in the morning and of course I missed one (boss noticed) so my supervisor rechecked everything as I was going home. Waste of time. I was pretty good at it. I hate doing goofs like that. Visual people kept taking things out of the holding area and placing them elsewhere. We got in a million pallets of dishes to unpack and price yesterday. What a chore that is. I am sure we will be doing the same today. But I have found lots of nice ladies to chat with. For once I have the cofidence just to sit down next to a stranger in the lunchroom and start chatting. And I have been eatting healthy!!!!! I will try to check in daily, but no long entrys till the weekend. ~flower

Punkinseed
02-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Good morning and happy Wednesday - it's all downhill from here!
I have a city bowling tournament this weekend AND I'm moderating the other bowlers when I'm done (watching for stuff not allowed in tournament type stuff). It'll be fun, but no sleeping in for me! Next week, and every other week for 3 weeks I'm taking Friday off to use up what's left of my '01 vacation time. So next weekend is a 3 day'er for me!!

Thank you all, I AM feeling better today. Actually, my immune system is funny. I was SO sick as a kid that I must've had everything already. Now as an adult, I feel icky for a day, then it's gone. I had the flu 3 years ago, and my last common cold was over 8 years ago. Guess I can't complain too much...

Wildfire - Oh, lol... the table skirts... *I* love them - my Mom comes over yesterday to see my masterpiece of sewing art and her comment? "They're purple". That's it - they're purple. Yes, dammit they're purple and nevermind, get outta my craft room...:mad: My craft room is my "fun" room. The linens on the daybed I have in there are butter yellow, blue, green and PURPLE. Sheesh...

Ruthie - I'm one of those that have been single for a few years and don't miss having a man around (ok, killing huge bugs was something I had to get over though). A friend of mine did a tarot reading for me and she apologized, saying that I probably wouldn't have a "love of my life" in this lifetime. It was something I already knew - and am quite ok with really. I think this life was meant to be for me to learn how to just be with me. Sorry, I've been married and to be honest, the only thing I miss about him I can easily replace with something battery operated. (:o can't believe I just said that!!!)

Flower - YES!!! I'm sure your work will be easier the lighter you get! If you're doing a lot of standing and walking think of how much easier it'll be when there's less of you to move around! I'm happy you're enjoying your new job - never mind those people that are checkin' up on you, they'll settle down once they know you, I'm sure.

Lamorgan
02-06-2002, 11:24 AM
:lol: Battery operated!! :lol:

I am kind-of planning my garden. We live in an old house, and years ago whatever Lilac or old-fashioned plants and shrubs were replaced with ugly green giant shrubs. So my focus is replacing these shrubs with the kinds of plants that may have been popular in the 1920's. Old fashioned roses, Lilac, that sort of thing. Forsinthia (excuse spelling) I will buy for sure because they remind me of my mother, who is no longer alive, and she loved them. My back yard and front garden are kind of done, but this last garden (we are a corner house) has been a pain because of the shrubs, John didn't want to take them out, and the earth is parched and dry.

I'm getting my way about the shrubs, though! :devil:

Anyone watch Buffy? Or am I the only one?? Taped last night's episode because I had a Library Class Chat at 8pm.

I planted crocus and tulips last fall, so maybe this year I'll have some spring flowers. Each year I'm going to plant more.

Well, nearly lunchtime. Going to have some Miso soup.

Flower; the stiffness will take about a week to pass, slowly, and then you will feel sooooo strong. I thought I was going to DIE after my first few paper-days, but now I'm really buff! Retail is very physically taxing.

Lois

Wildfire
02-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Ruthie, I hope your day "off" work does you as much good as my weekend away did for me. Geez, those people at work were really getting under my skin! Maybe they're evil little honey bears in disguise....hey, is that a pod over there in the corner? :D

Flower, pick up four 10lb bags of flour, carry them around for a few hours, then put them down and see if it's easier to move around. It's amazing the perspective an exercise like that give you. I think because we live in our bodies every second of every day, we get accustomed to lugging around the weight and don't see what a strain it really is to carry it. Glad to hear you're making some pals at work!

Punkin...*battery operated*.... BWAHAHAHAHAHAH :D :D :D
Now, about these purple curtains....they sound great! I love purple! And the colors you have in the craft room sound lovely. You need color to inspire you in a craft room....an all white room wouldn't be very creative, would it?

Lamorgan, your garden sounds wonderful. My mother loved forsythia too, and had them in her garden. I think of her when I see them, too. She also had huge beds of tiger lilies, the large orange day lillies....she said they reminded her of me....fiery, strong, proud, but beautiful and delicate too. My next tattoo will be a fiery orange tiger lily, in her memory.

Oh, I watch Buffy. LOVE Spike....he's so sexy! Last night was a repeat, though. I've been told the new episodes are airing every other week.

Ooh...Enterprise is on...gotta go watch.

ruthie
02-07-2002, 05:54 AM
Wildfire, I'm glad you understand about the honey bear ... I swear I saw him wink at me ....

Punkinseed...I think this life was meant to be for me to learn how to just be with me. Exactly how I have begun to feel ... and your battery-operated comment both is and isn't true, but I'm not gonna go there (that's another message board altogether :^: ).

Last night I walked for speed, and as I zipped along I started chanting to myself a Muslim chant, Allahu akbar, allahu akbar, la illaha il allah, and after a few of those I said to myself my new motto, No excuses, no distractions, and realized they had the same rhythm and cadence! Which in a few minutes I realized had the same rhythm and cadence as I can do it, I can do it. Which I thought was really encouraging, so as I walked along I chanted to myself a combination of all three. I zipped up the Big Hill; when I get to the top of the hill, my reward is a beautiful view of the NYC skyline all lit up, and of course NY skyline, NY skyline also has the same cadence. Maybe you had to be there....At any rate, I thought I had re-set my pedometer properly, but once again my 3-mile route only measured at less than 2 miles (1.88 this time, with the pedometer adjustment). So I decided to change my route. I know for sure my sister's house is 2 miles from here, so if I walk straight up to a main road that will take me straight over to my sister's house, and it says less than 2 miles, my pedometer is wrong. The other option is to go to the track at a nearby park, which I believe is 1/4 mile around, but I don't want to make that my regular route b/c I would think going around and around and around would drive me nuts. I like the idea of walking thru town instead of meandering around local side streets anyway. I think the side streets appeal to me b/c there's less people both on foot and in cars, so no one can see me walking. And I know that wanting people not to see me is part of the psychology of being fat, if that makes sense. I know I have avoided social situations and even leaving the house sometimes b/c I don't want people to see me b/c I'm fat. That's also, I think, why I walk at night when it's dark.

All right, enough psychoanalysis. Talk to you chicks later.

deleted2
02-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Ruthie, I've had a few pedometers over the last few years and all of them have been ridiculously inaccurate! If I really want to know the distance I'll just clock it with my car first, altho that's not so easy with trails!

flower
02-07-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi chicks...don't have much time. Like always it seems. Last night I wasn't as tired, yet it was an extremely demanding day. I actually didn't feel like bed asap. Chris had dinner ready when I walked through the door. I found myself hundry at snack time and my yogart didn't cut it. So I got a pkg of nuts from the vending machine. Gonna have to pack snacks too for work. The vending machine is evil and expensive. But I worked better not hungry. Everyones throat is raw from all the sawdust we are breathing. The two people I ate lunch with yesterday were on diets. The gut goes to the gym daily and eats no sugar. The girl is on WW. She ate a can of sardines as her protein. The small can has just 1 point. :) ~flower

Lamorgan
02-08-2002, 08:31 AM
Good morning to you all! I ate horribly yesterday, McDonalds no less. Sigh. Ah well, it is a new day.

:o

I'll pop back in later on...

Lois

Punkinseed
02-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Good morning and Happy Friday!

The week is *finally* over...

Lamorgan, hang in there... Yes, it is a new day. I'm reminding myself of this today too since it appears I did something different this week and I'm showing a gain. BUT I shouldn't even be weighing myself! MONDAY is weigh in, not Friday, but Monday... I'm going to chuck the stupid scale soon. So anyway, yes, today I had to remind myself that everyday is a new day to do something better than I did it yesterday.

Flower - I'm sorry, but even if the sardines were FREE I'm afraid I only see them as good for fishing bait. Ew, yuk! I know they're supposed to be good for you and all, but.... ewwwww!

Hello everyone else! If I'm not back by the end of the day, have a GREAT weekend everyone!! Wish me a 200 game this weekend (yea, right).

Wildfire
02-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Punkin, did you manage a 200 game?

Ruthie, sounds like your training is off to a great start! Have you put that evil little honey bear in a dark corner of the cupboard yet? Face to the wall, of course?

Flower, sounds like you've got some support to be found at work with eating properly. That's great! It's much easier to stay OP when everyone isn't going out for burgers at lunch and inviting you. Can't say I could do sardines, either, though.

Lamorgan, McD's gets to everyone once in a while. Don't sweat it.

Mind if I gush for moment, girls? :D My hubby bought me a diamond solitaire necklace for Valentine's day! It's bezel set in white gold on a 14k snake chain. It's a Canadian diamond, mined in the Northwest Territories and on the back of the setting there is a tiny pink gold maple leaf! I had to have the chain shortened to get it to sit where I want it (just on the collarbone) so I won't get it back until next Saturday. Is this man not incredible? For reasons other than diamonds, too, of course. ;)

I know it's the weekend and no one is around, but if you are, stop and post! I'm going to fill in the food journal for today.

ruthie
02-10-2002, 05:41 AM
How nice, Wildfire! It was ironic for me to read about your diamond necklace, b/c as I was going over expenses and so forth for the next few months, I was thinking that I should sell the diamond earrings XDH bought me.

And the reason I was going over expenses....I QUIT MY JOB!!! Woo hoo! I gave a full 12 weeks notice, both for their benefit in terms of recruiting an appropriate replacement, and for my benefit psychologically. It was really scary to do that -- the last time I didn't have a job was 1987, and even then I worked in my DH's grocery store. But I know I don't want to stay, so I had to go ahead and break away. My last day is May 3, and after that things will be really hairy money-wise, but God willing we'll survive. Wow, in one week I gave my landlord notice that we're moving July 1, DD confirmed her attendance at college in Spain, and I gave notice at my f/t job. The new life is just around the corner! :D :eek: :spin:

I figured out my pedometer problem...the problem is I'm stupid. I re-checked the route that I swore was 1.5 miles in the car, and it wsa like .5 or .75 or something; don't know how I screwed that up! So the pedometer should be accurate now. Last night I walked for speed and was only able to go 2.65 miles before tiredness and cold got the better of me. Today I'm supposed to do 6 miles at an easy pace. It's starting to become clear to me how difficult walking a great distance will be. My biggest fear so far has been blisters; I should worry about my mind, too, since it's going to take will to push myself that far. One of the things I'm not sure about is what speed I should be shooting for; I'd just as soon worry about finishing than finishing quickly, but I'll wait till I'm into it a few more weeks before I really start thinking about it.

Punkinseed, how did the bowling go?

Lois, I agree with Wildfire, one bad day won't kill you.

Flower, sounds like you're getting used to the job. Keep the faith! It could be worse...I look at these construction workers building the houses next door (on the lot where my forest formerly was) hauling lumber, swinging hammers, and balancing on roofs, all in the freezing cold, and I think, damn I hope they're well-paid.

Eydie, I meant to tell you, I know what you mean about walking outdoors -- it really is great; I just don't like the cold, but with the right hat and gloves and pace, you can warm up somewhat...

flower
02-10-2002, 11:44 AM
See you all on a new thread!!!!!!