Weight Loss Support - Holidays and drinking

View Full Version : Holidays and drinking

Ready4aChange
12-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Do you think it's a form of self sabotage to indulge in a drink or two at holiday functions? I thought it would be okay to have a little something (and find out the calories), but a friend of mine said if I was serious about losing weight I wouldn't touch any alcohol. Am I wrong in thinking it's fine to have a glass of wine or something?

Mel
12-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I find the problem is less the calories in the wine, but the stupid food choices I make after having a glass or two. As long as you figure it into your plan and don't make it a regular occurrance, you can still lose weight and enjoy a glass of wine or two. I certainly did :D Just don't get any good ideas that eating one of each dessert on the menu or buffet table won't hurt- it will!

Mel :)

Jadeybaby
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
What your friend says seems odd, I don't see why having a few drink is bad if you include them in your calorie intake.
As long as you're not drinking regularly it shouldn't harm your weight loss, so go for it!

JayEll
12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
It's like Mel said--after a couple of drinks, self-control can go out the window. But pace yourself and sip each drink, and keep track of the calories. :)

Jay

CountingDown
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Dry red wine is one of my non-negotiable items. I have a glass of red wine every (well, almost every) evening. Plan for it, but the others give wise advice; don't let it affect what else you eat. Plan both your food and drink when you attend, and you should be ok. Try to stick to lower calorie drinks if you can. Many mixed drinks have a lot of calories from the other ingredients.

Lyria
12-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Hmmmm...

I may be bad but I have been having one free-ish day a week usually a saturday where I indulge in one or two or three drinks with the girls.

It hasn't at all slowed my weightloss - I do notice flucuations as my fluid levels go up and down but the scales have been consistently going down.

Energy in = energy out - I figure I am evening out my calories over the week to be consistently losing weight still. I couldn't deprive myself like that - I like to be social and I like to enjoy a drink with friends and as looking after my weight is a life long commitment I figure I should learn to be able to have a couple and not feel I'm being "bad" or that it is going to undo everything I work for.

I guess the key is to find balance - have a few at a function, be good the next couple days, get an extra gym session in etc.

Have fun! =D

nelie
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't like to drink my calories (unless it is a smoothie) which is one reason I don't drink. I also don't feel a need to drink either.

Maybe once a year or something I may have a drink but I can't even remember when the last time was.

LindseyLouWho
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Also keep in mind that a lot of people have a warped vision of "dieting", for lack of a better word. They think that eating or drinking something high in calories means that you're "cheating" and not really serious and those people are WRONG. Everything in moderation. If you're including an occasional drink in your plan and its calories are accounted for, then I don't see any problem with it.

Ready4aChange
12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks! I think I need to make the decision on what to drink ahead of time and stick to it (like one glass of white wine). I'll try it - if it makes me pig out or gain weight, I probably just won't do it again.
Oh, and LindseyLouWho, I think you hit the nail on the head -- she now seems to think she should have an eagle eye on my food and tsk tsk me because she's "helping." The "diet" thing is hard to explain to those who have never needed to look at their food choices!

Glory87
12-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Also keep in mind that a lot of people have a warped vision of "dieting", for lack of a better word. They think that eating or drinking something high in calories means that you're "cheating" and not really serious and those people are WRONG. Everything in moderation. If you're including an occasional drink in your plan and its calories are accounted for, then I don't see any problem with it.

Some of us aren't great at moderation. For example, I've never been able to open a package of Milano Thin Mints and have just 2. After the first cookie, I desperately want the entire bag. I am now okay with this aspect of myself and work hard not to sabotage myself. I understand that moderation does not work for me.

I didn't drink while I was losing weight (except for a glass of wine on my birthday and a glass of champagne on New Year's Eve) and I think I have an excellent vision of "dieting." My "vision" of dieting emphasized foods with powerful nutrional impact over foods with minimal nutritional impact.

To me, alcohol is completely empty, useless calories. Like other people mentioned, it can also lead me to make poor decisions. It's kind of a ripple effect.

Everyone has to make these decisions for their own plan, to say that someone that chooses to abstain from alcohol is "warped" (when there ARE good reasons not to drink while losing weight) is kind of harsh. I also have no problems with people who decide that they can fit alcohol into their plan, but I accept that it's a personal decision.

almostheaven
12-10-2007, 01:54 PM
There were two ocassions during my weight loss that we celebrated. And I had a couple of drinks both times. Tell your friend I still managed to lose over 100 pounds. :D

If you're serious about losing weight, you understand what you need to do to lose it, you watch your food intake, you exercise. You don't forbid yourself to have a good time or enjoy life. I think that's partly why so many people end up regaining their weight. Once they go back to living life, they try to make up for lost time.

QuilterInVA
12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I just read that woman drinking more than 3 drinks in a day have a 30% increase in coming down with Breast Cancer. I find it a total waste of calories since it has no nutritional value and makes us stupid in the bargain. If it's a matter of "fitting" in, have a virgin mary, a diet coke, or a diet gingerale. Looks like a drink.

Shy Moment
12-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Ready
I don't think a drink or two, here or there is going to hurt anyone, of course this is with no medical conditions or meds that don't allow alcohol. I don't do without a thing. If I drank, I would still have a drink now and then. I think those that gain weight back probably did without everything they loved. You can only do that for so long. I don't really understand drinking to fit in or be part of the crowd. That mentality stopped when I was about 10lol. If you enjoy haveing a drink from time to time I can't see where there is anything wrong with that.

baffled111
12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Well I like to have a glass or two of wine at the end of the day while cooking and eating dinner, and I like going out for drinks with friends. It doesn't have anything to do with fitting in or being stupid and I think you're all being a little judgmental about it.

If you can fit the calories into your budget and can stop yourself from eating off-plan while you're drinking, I see no problem with having a drink if you want one.

Ready4aChange
12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I also think drinking in general, with or without weight loss, is a personal choice and in no way feel one choice is right or better than the other unless there is a problem involved -- I only meant (in my 2nd post in this thread) my friend who told me not to have anything to drink is a regular/thin-ish size gal who has never had a problem with food and she thinks you have to basically have dry salad, water and air if you want to get thinner which isn't true in my opinion and just goes to show she doesn't have the same perspective or understanding of dieting as those of us who live with the reality (and I don't want to speak for LindseyLouWho, but I think that's what she was responding to from my original post -- that my friend was the one telling me I couldn't have a drink).
I also didn't realize the breast cancer risk was so high from drinking (although I assume a certain amount of drinking must be involved for that percentage to hold true)!
I don't drink often or for acceptance or anything like that. I like the taste of a couple of things and I tend to have them at holidays or different seasonal events, that's why this came up now.
I'm still starting out with all of this, but really want to be able to incorporate things I enjoy (even if they're empty calories) with the overall healthy lifestyle I'm choosing to live. I was wondering how much of a detriment even a little indulgence could be in the opinions of people who have actually lived this and I can see it's as varied as everything else :)

witchyonadiet
12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
This is not a "one size fits all" question. You know yourself better than anyone here. Do you think you can have a drink or two and still stick to your food plan ? Do you feel comfortable having a night a few times during the holidays when you consume more calories than you normally do but still within reason ???

Ready4aChange
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
You're right, witchyonadiet -- I think that's what I've been realizing... I'm giving myself the opportunity to try out having a drink this weekend. If I over indulge or notice a problem, I'll know it's not something I can handle and won't do it again. I appreciate everyone responding :)

almostheaven
12-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Well I like to have a glass or two of wine at the end of the day while cooking and eating dinner, and I like going out for drinks with friends. It doesn't have anything to do with fitting in or being stupid and I think you're all being a little judgmental about it.
Yeah, I love amaretto sours. And you can't get it in a virgin and it still taste like an AMARETTO sour. :D That's generally the only drink I drink, and only about once or twice a year. I'm not much into drinking. Since I do this only with my husband, who drinks more often than I, I can say it has nothing to do with fitting in. LOL

GatorgalstuckinGA
12-10-2007, 11:36 PM
i think there's nothing wrong with an occasional drink. I love a good beer or glass of wine every now and then (and usually its at home). So as long as you plan for it (200-300 cal depending on the alcoholic beverage)...then so be it. I do know i loose more weight when i keep it out of my system...but personally its a sacrifice i'm not wanting to give up yet. I still like 1-2 drinks a week...but that's me...and i find that it helps me from going insane. I've never been a binge drinker or felt the urge to get smashed...but darnit...a drink sure taste good every now and then. So plan for it if you wnat to...have a drink or two at a party..just remember a few rules. One try to eat before going to the party (that way you don't benge out on bad foods). two drink lots of water between drinks and try to limit your drinks. And if your friend gives you crap about your "diet" and drinking tell her..you are fine and have planned the drinks in your daily calorie allowance and that you don't need her to "monitor" everything you intake.

EZMONEY
12-10-2007, 11:53 PM
For what it's worth ~ we had our company Christmas Party on Saturday at a very nice Italian restaraunt with an open bar the entire evening. I was drinking Corona's ~ now I am not sure exactly how many beers I had...they were free and all I can say is the bar runner knew my name....Angie says I had way too many ~ I'm not sure about that....I don't remember much about that night...;) However, I will say that I am UP a pound!....dang!

Spinymouse
12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Coronas! oh, Gary! Have some standards! Fine microbrewed ales, yes, but Coronas???!! :p

chick_in_the_hat
12-11-2007, 12:40 AM
I was wondering how much of a detriment even a little indulgence could be in the opinions of people who have actually lived this and I can see it's as varied as everything else :)

Brilliant answer...thanks for starting the dicussion, tho. I'm in the alcohol is empty calories camp, I drink very rarely. There's a six pack of Microbrew Hefeweizen (:wave: Spiny) that has been in the fridge for like a month...I'll prolly have one if someone comes over that wants one. And it gets tracked in my calories. :D

Spinymouse
12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Hefeweizen! Don't let that stuff get wormy, Chick! I'll come over and help you with it!

chick_in_the_hat
12-11-2007, 12:46 AM
:lol3:...those aren't worms....just a little chunkiness for flavah. :D

NightengaleShane
12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
To echo the others, there is nothing wrong with drinking while trying to lose weight, as long as you plan for it and track your calories. Having a few drinks here and there will stunt your progress no more than doing a little off plan eating. As long as you are aware of what you are putting in your mouth, it's all good.

While saying that, I have only drank around four times since starting my weight loss journey, and I only got drunk during one of those four - the other times, I just had one or two drinks, because it wasn't worth the calories.

I used to party hard and get smashed frequently, but since losing weight, I've personally decided I can take or leave alcohol. But I digress - a couple holiday drinks never hurt anyone! :)

EZMONEY
12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Coronas! oh, Gary! Have some standards! Fine microbrewed ales, yes, but Coronas???!! :p

Thanks a lot MOUSEY...next you'll be telling me my Coors Light is like p... water :dizzy:

CountingDown
12-11-2007, 10:50 PM
next you'll be telling me my Coors Light is like p... water :dizzy:
If she doesn't, I will - LOL.
DH makes home brew that is amazing (chocolate stout is absolutely divine). If you are gonna drink beer, at least make it worth the calories, Gary!

I'm counting the days until we go to SF and visit all of the wonderful microbreweries :)

LindseyLouWho
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Glory, I never said that choosing to abstain from alcohol was warped. I said that many people think that dieting means never having any treat foods and an all or nothing mentality. For you moderation might not be the answer, however I believe that this is a thing where it's best to decide what the person can stick with. I know many people would not be able to commit to a diet in which they were never allowed to eat chocolate again, so they need to allow themselves to have small portions of it now and again. I also wasn't criticizing your view of dieting and if I offended you, I'm sorry. I'm in no way saying that drinking is a perfectly integral part of a diet... simply that if she feels that it would not derail her completely by having an occasional treat, then I don't see a problem with it if she includes it in her calories for the day.

kimmieone
12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I drink beer every Sunday, and I mean EVERY Sunday while watching football and I haven't had any problems, so I think a couple of drinks included within your calorie limit is fine. It's not like you're planning on going on a bender. :)

EZMONEY
12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
If she doesn't, I will - LOL.
DH makes home brew that is amazing (chocolate stout is absolutely divine). If you are gonna drink beer, at least make it worth the calories, Gary!

I'm counting the days until we go to SF and visit all of the wonderful microbreweries :)

Oh thanks a lot C.D....next you'll be telling me that it's just wrong to lime my Budweiser.

ennay
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
lime away Gary....its the drinking BUD that's the problem. But really any beer you have to add fruit to get some flavor is just not really beer.

Besides- dark beer is better for you than light beer. More antioxidants!

WaterRat
12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Budwiser - shudder :)

Coming in late to this discussion, but like some others, I drink a glass of red wine 2-3 times a week, and it doesn't affect my weight loss. Now if I drink more than 2 glasses at a time, then I make poor eating choices. I know that, and still choose to do it occasionally, but ususally I switch to club soda.

Spinymouse
12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Budweiser is the worst!! The grain involved in beer is barley. Bud uses rice. Now I like rice, but not to make beer out of. The only thing good about Bud is the commercials.
Gary - re: coors light being light drinking p---water....at least it's not Bud.

EZMONEY
12-14-2007, 08:02 PM
If Angie "loans" me a dollar towards next weeks allowance, I am gonna go buy a 12-pack of Pabst BLUE Ribbon down at the drug store...it's friiii-day baby :carrot:

Oh, and for all of you BUD "haters"....This One's For YOU...;)

baffled111
12-14-2007, 08:27 PM
People in my social circle seem to have taken to drinking Pabst recently. I can't imagine what they are thinking!

ennay
12-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Baffled - are they also growing mullets and driving jacked-up Chevy Novas?

JayEll
12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
:rofl:

Jay

gailr42
12-14-2007, 10:51 PM
I just guffawed on my computer screen. :lol: :lol:

EZMONEY
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
People in my social circle seem to have taken to drinking Pabst recently. I can't imagine what they are thinking!

Probably the same thing I am thinking...with this new "mortgaged" economy, things could get rough...Pabst is "cheap"...learn to get used to it! :)

Baffled - are they also growing mullets and driving jacked-up Chevy Novas?

Since when are Chevy Vegas NOT the "TO HAVE" car?

:rofl:

Jay

You're just damn mean :devil:

I just guffawed on my computer screen. :lol: :lol:

I've been in the desert...OK...Hemet...all week...I know it's cold...brrr...in the mornings, so I'll let that slide for now gail..;)

nylisa
12-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Everyone's got their "treat" or "splurge" they can't deprive themselves of indefinitely. As long as it's in moderation and accounted for by cutting calories elsewhere or increased exercise, I think it's ok to indulge. We had our office party last week. I drank alcohol, but I stuck to fruit from the dessert buffet. And had a larger amount of veggies & smaller amount of pasta than I normally would have. That was followed by a departmental luncheon the next day at an Italian restaurant and a holiday dinner w/friends. Between that & monthly issues, I was up 5 pounds last week, but I've lost all but one this week (kept going to the gym the whole time except the day after the office party, got home around 1 am). And other than those meals, stayed on plan.

If you do drink during an office function 2 bits of advice:

1) make sure you eat a filling, on plan lunch beforehand. More food means less effect of alcohol & less likely to make bad food choices. Also, you won't be starving when you hit the food portion of the event

2) losing large amounts of weight can affect your alcohol tolerance. I used to be able to tolerate 5 drinks without feeling any effects when I was at my highest weight, now I will feel effects within 2 or 3 drinks. If you've lost a large amount of weight since the last time you went out drinking, keep that in mind.