Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #1  

Question Some questions

Hello.... Ive been reading the boards for a while now and i hope you dont mind if i ask you all a few questions about lapband surgery! Im 35 live in California and am a single mom to a 4 year old boy. Anyways, my question was since i was considering this surgery now for a while is.... are you able to drink diet soda and eat bread after the procedure?? These two things seem like they may be my biggest struggle if not able to and wanted to get anwsers from someone that has gone through it. Any information would be appreciated!!!!! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Chrsitine

Last edited by HyeCleo; 12-09-2007 at 12:13 AM.
HyeCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Christine and

To answer your question.... everyone is different. I can eat bread with no problem, as long as I take small bites and go slow, pace myself. My friend who also has the band can't touch bread, donuts or cake, it sits like glue in her chest. I can also eat pasta and my other friend can not, so you see, its hard to tell what you'll be able to eat. As far as the soda goes, the reason you don't want to drink soda is b/c it hurts. The carbonation hurts sitting in the pouch. What you can do it let the soda go flat, let all the air out and drink it that way....no pain there and you get the flavor of the soda. No its not the same I've been post-op for 2 years now and have not had any soda with the carbonation. I think in the past 2 years I may have let 1 or two bottles go flat and had a glass or two. I don't miss it really, I drink lots of tea and flavored waters.

Hope this helps

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

To me soda doesn't taste the same at all. . .not worth it! and carbonation SUCKS!!! you'll feel like an evil balloon
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:17 AM   #4  

Thank you Lennie, your information helped me. I appreciate it! It just scares me to think i would never be able to enjoy another little hamburger.

KO - Thats what i always wondered.... do the things you love, in my case diet soda and bread become less desirable if your body rejects them, or do you just suffer with desire for the things you cant have. I guess in your case the desire went away, which i guess makes it easy to live without.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I used to love LOVE diet coke but my tastes changed. or the way it tasted to me changed. Work on not having it now. Try diet snapple its so good!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

just a thought, Christine. wls of any kind is about the FUTURE, not the past. SO, if something you used to enjoy no longer works, just put it aside, like an old boyfriend or a pair of worn-out socks!

move forward - there are other things waiting to take their place in your life.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #7  

Thank you Jiffypop...... you are right, and i need to start looking at things this way. I guess Im just scared of the unknown!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

The unknown is to be leapt into with both feet and met with a smile. New You New Everything!
Throw off the shackles of the past!
Its my new philosophy! I'm the queen of wanting to know the outcome before I begin. . .Hope for the best prepare for the worst. Know that you can face it and Make it your. . . well you get the idea I don't want to offend anyone!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

just a thought, Christine. wls of any kind is about the FUTURE, not the past. SO, if something you used to enjoy no longer works, just put it aside, like an old boyfriend or a pair of worn-out socks!

move forward - there are other things waiting to take their place in your life.

Jiffy......those are wonderful words of wisdom. You hit the nail on the head with this one....THANKS
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote