South Beach Diet - Frigid Friday Chick Chat

View Full Version : Frigid Friday Chick Chat

cottagebythesea
12-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Brrrrrr! It's cold! Only the thought of a hot cup of coffee managed to get me out of my nice warm bed. :coffee:

I'm anxious to see how the day unfolds. Yesterday afternoon Audrey was complaining of a headache and a tingling feeling in her mouth and hands. Later, Cindy called me at home to ask more questions about her, and I could hear Audrey crying in the background. Cindy was going to call the pediatrician, and I told her to call me back, but I haven't heard anything since then. I hope my poor baby is alright! :(

I'm supposed to take the girls to school this morning, and Maggie has a birthday party to go right after I get her at noon. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, what's happening in your day today? :cofdate:

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Oh, Linda, keep us updated on poor Audrey! Hope Maggie has fun at her party!

Tom's working all weekend, so no yoga for me tomorrow. :( I'll have to throw on some music and dance with the kids or something to burn some extra calories.

We had crustless quiche for dinner tonight...yum! Oh, Survivor's back on. Gotta run! (We get it a day late...)

Kara

femmecreole
12-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Morning all...

Cottage, hope Audrey is on the mend quickly!!!
Kara, I won't tell you who gets voted out. I don't care anymore since poor old James got the boot.

Lots of work to do today...I'm taking the day off tomorrow, so we can take my Mother to St. Francisville (http://www.stfrancisvilleinn.com/Attractions/district.html) for a belated birthday present. The weather is supposed to be great so we decided this was the time.Just going to tour some homes and eat somewhere. We were orignally planning on also doing the b and b bit, but I can't get away from work that long. I have a client who is running a daily sale for the entire month (a different product each day) and I have to be here to code and upload the sale info each morning.

Have a fab day everyone!!

cottagebythesea
12-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Cat, I have to agree, since James was voted off, Survivor's not the same. I don't really have a favorite, I'm not sure if I like Todd, he's a little coniving, and I really, really, really dislike Amanda. I'm rooting for Denise, she seems to be the most deserving. But I'm not happy with the way the show's going.

St. Francisville looks beautiful! Have a good time touring all those lovely old homes!

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 07:14 AM
I also was a James fan. I understand why they felt like they had to vote him out, but I was disappointed that he didn't use *one* of the immunity idols he had! I think I'm in Denise's corner for now.

Cat, your trip should be so nice! Have a fun day with your mom!

Kara

Ruthxxx
12-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Good morning from cold and snowy Delta. The lads are sure enjoying zipping around in the snowmobiles - they were out last night around mid-night going up and down the road. As soon as the lakes freeze, they'll be out there.

Big news yesterday was that our postmistress's house burned down completely. It was a brand new house that they moved into in November so this will be a complete mystery. I've not talked to Nancy but know everyone got out safely. They are staying with relatives and are in complete shock as you can imagine.

The Sears repairman is supposed to be here this morning so I'd better get cracking and wrap myself around a coffee and maybe even get dressed before he shows. Hershey is still asleep on her bed in the kitchen but it's time to wake her up. Lazy girl! I'm sure she'd like the woodstove lit so she can sleep in the back room.

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Oh dear, Ruth! I hope they figure out what happened with the house fire!

Kara

THINBYJUNE
12-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Good Morning Ladies
It's supposed to rain :rain:all day here today with wind gusts up to 70 mph. Should make for a slow commute this morning. FH went to work yesterday and that started out well enough but quickly went down hill. He is going on his interview Monday but wants to see how that goes before he quits.
Cottage I hope Audrey is O.K. and Maggie has a nice time at the party.
Kara Have fun this weekend dancing with the kids. That sounds better than structured excercise anyway.
Ruth I'm glad no one was hurt in the fire but that's terrible news.
Femme Have a great day off tomorrow.
Pacer Thank you so much for the information yesterday. I love what you said about coordination because that has secretly been my concern. I am a huge clutz and I was worried I would not have the coordination to pull it off. But I have downloaded the sessions and will give it a try.
Have a great day everyone.

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Dawn, I bet you will love yoga! I am so sad I have to miss my class tomorrow. It's become a real staple in my week - calming and it feels so good to stretch!

Kara

THINBYJUNE
12-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Kara-
I wanted something to help me relieve stress and all the research I did says this is the way to go. My only worry is I am REALLY clutzy. I fractured my skull getting out of the car once (and that's only one of many stories). But I'm going to give it my best shot. I need more exercise and less stress. I'll let you all know how it goes.

femmecreole
12-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Have a couple of minutes left before I leave for school, so thought I'd post a recipe I came up with yesterday....went over very well.

I took some tilapia filets and "painted" them with a mixture of dijon mustard and lemon juice. Then I dredged them in a lite coating of a mixture of ww flour and creole seasoning. Then I pan fried them in big saute pan with a very small amount of olive oil. After I turned them, I sprinkled terragon, parsley and small pecan pieces on top. Not something I'd have every day because of the flour, but I didn't have any bread at all yesterday. It was yummy and tasted very similar to Trout Meuniere. Served it with a big salad with a variety of vegs in the salad.

Schmoodle
12-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Morning chicks, frigid Friday is right on for us cottage! I'm dreading the walk to school today. DD is going camping with the Scouts this weekend, I've got to pack lots of warm stuff for her! At least it's heated cabin camping, not tents!

Survivor, I missed last week, so got to catch up last night. Ya know, I was a James fan at first, and then he started saying and doing things that made me think maybe he wasn't such a nice guy after all. And he only had two idols because they were handed to him by stupid people. And then he wasn't smart enough to use them in time. So, I'm not sorry he got voted off. Last night I was trying to figure out who I was actually rooting for anymore, if anybody. Pretty much the only one I'll hate to see win is Todd. Did I mention he's stupid and thinks he's brilliant? I think I'm actually rooting for Pei Ghee right now. She's playing a good game, she's smart, and she's the underdog. Denise disappointed me last night, settling for 4th place after the cool kids instead of shaking things up. A couple of times this season I've wondered if I should even keep watching. And I'm a die-hard Survivor fan.

Cat, have a fun day with Mama and thanks for the recipe! I know I can always count on you!
cottage, hope Audrey is okay!:(
Ruth, you and Hershey sound so cozy in your little cottage. House fires are my biggest fear. Glad to hear everyone got out okay!
Thinby and Kara, you are inspiring me to try yoga. I used to do it about 20 years ago and loved it. We had a great instructor and she used to guide us into these trance-like states. I don't think I've been that relaxed since. Hope I can find something around here. I am a klutz too, Thinby!

Well, boring work today. I've been taking some online training this week and I feel all hunched over from sitting at the computer so much. I really want to get it done by the end of the today, but I've got a lot left.
Lots on the to-do list today. I want to do some cleaning and laundry, get DD ready for her trip, got some errands to run, and then pizza at grandma's tonight. Phew.

Pacergal29
12-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Hot Dog it's friday! We got a light dusting lastnight, just enough to know it snowed. Ok I have seen snow now bring on spring!

Cottage hope Audrey is ok!

Kara Dancing with the kids sounds like a great alternative!

Cat Have fun with your mom!

Ruth Chances are if you didn't get dressed the repairman would show earlier! That is usually the case with me! How scary about the house fire, glad everyone got out ok!

Dawn You are so welcome on the yoga info. I know what you mean about being a klutz, I went through as stage where I fell off the curb, and UP the stairs outside twice and this was all within a couple of months, I thought my knees were never going to heal!

Schmoodle I am with you on survivor, I was happy to see Denise win the reward challenge because unfortunatly I think that is all she is going to win!

Me Had three job applicants yesterday, one coming back in today for a second interview. Looks like we will hire this one. Looking forward to the weekend! Hope you chicks all have a great day!

GONNABE165
12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Sorry for no personals this morning as I am feeling sooo under the weather :(. I weighed in this morning 194.8 so I am maintaining. I hope everyone has a great day. I will try to come back later for personals if I feel any better.

Ruthxxx
12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
No repairman as yet but he will show! I can't have four pieces of crappy news the same day - three's enough.
1. the enws about Nancy's house
2. friend fell on the ice and has a concussion plus seven stitches
3. husband of a friend has a malfunctioning pacemaker and is in hospital.

That's IT for today thank you, Powers That Be. Enough already! (At least none of it happened to me.)

I may just take Hershey and go back to bed!

JessieW
12-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Please let it be 5:45...maybe if I close my eyes and open them again I will be able to go home and lay on the couch....nope!

I only feel slightly better than I did last Friday which is frustrating to me. I am still coughing tons and full of yuckiness. I have resorted to my mom's cure-all, which is OD on Vitamin C. One of my coworkers (at my Baptist, no drinking allowed ever workplace) suggested a hot toddy. I think the only thing we have at home is Starbucks liqueur, do you think that would work? ;)

I don't watch Survivor so no comments on that end. I don't really watch anything except How I Met Your Mother on Monday nights. I do like Top Chef when it's on. Oops, I meant to tape the Top Chef 3-season challenge thing last night. Hopefully it will be on again!

My brain is so fumbled and I have so much work I better get a move on. I am so glad it's Friday....10 more hours until I can rest!

Jessie

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Jessie, isn't zinc supposed to be good for colds? And I think Vitamin D helps your body boost the white blood cell count, which can fight infection. I'm pulling that out of my memory vault, though, so I might be totally off.

Schmoodle, hope your daughter has fun at her camp out! Looks like she might need three pairs of pajamas per night like my kids from earlier this week!!!

Stephanie, I am so proud of myself for staying on plan today and sticking to my rule of no eating after 8:00. I wanted to, but didn't. Yay for me! Thanks for posting that little challenge. It's been fun to put a different spin on things. Instead of thinking of NOT doing something I'm thinking about the postitive of making myself proud.

Night, all!

Kara

Pacergal29
12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Whooo I don't know what they put in my coffee today but I feel like dancing! :carrot:

Gonna & Jessie Hope you both feel better soon. I'm sending you some of my coffee buzz through the magical internet, can ya feel it????

Kara Glad I could inspire you! I guess yesterday's proud moment was sharing my yoga tips on here cause it sure wasn't the run in I had with Puppy Chow (muddy buddies) my DD made for her class! Oh well on to a new day and new proud moment!

Kim_Star060404
12-07-2007, 10:13 AM
TGIF for sure!!

:ginger::clause::snowglo::wreath::present:

Cottage: I'm sorry to hear about Audrey. I hope everything's okay. I hope Maggie's party is fun and that you have a great day!

Kara: What a bummer that you'll be missing your yoga workout! I'm sure you'll find some great ways to work out in spite of it. You always do! :cp:

Cat: Sounds like a fun day for ya'll tomorrow! DH and I just bought a freezer full of fish from Schwan's yesterday, so I'll be sure and try out your recipe next week! Thanks!

Ruth: What a horrible morning in the Delta! I hope everyone is doing okay considering the circumstances. :hug: I'm sure that repairman will show - he just has to!

Dawn: I'm not sure, but I bet doing yoga will actually help with your balance and what-not. Let us know how you like doing it and have a great day!

Schmoo: Stay warm while you're getting all your stuff done! Hope DD stays wrapped up all weekend.

Pacer: I'd dance with you, but some moron (DH) took all the coffee this morning. I'm trying to avoid the call of the sodas, but I don't know how long that will last! Congrats on finding a good potential hire - good staff is so hard to find these days!

GonnaBe: :getwell:

Jessie: My mom is a ministerial assistant at a Baptist Church (and has been for 15 years), but she still loves her hot toddy's when she's coming down with something! I hope you get to feeling better soon! :hug:

Me: Not much going on today. My Avon delivery didn't come until 1:30 this morning, so I had to make a mad dash to get it all sorted and invoiced so that I could deliver it and make it to work on time. That's done now, so all I have to do is wait for the $ to roll in!

Shoot, I didn't realize what time it was. Meeting with Board at 9:30, so I've gotta run. Check back later! ~Kim

GONNABE165
12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the get well wishes I can sure use them.

Cottage I hope Audrey is okay. Prayers go out to you both :hug:

Cat do enjoy your day with your mom. That recipe sounds delish - I love fish

Ruth hope all works out with your repair man situation. Thoughts and prayers for your frinds today

Hi Kara & Dawn The yoga queens - enjoy your yoga

Schmoodle sounds like you have a busy day. Enjoy pizza at grandmas

Jessie I know what you mean as I'm feeling blah and feel like I could just sleep til next week. I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Kim you had a busy start to the day hope the rest of it will go a bit slower so you can catch up.

Happy Friday! :carrot:

I'll check back in on you gals later.

Kim_Star060404
12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
It is ridiculous how excited I am that lunch is here in 9 minutes. Sigh.

GONNABE165
12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Afternoon chickadees! I am actually starting to feel a bit better -hooray for me. I am loosing my voice though, DH will love that. Hope everyone is having a great south beach day.

Kim_Star060404
12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I am loosing my voice though, DH will love that.

:rofl: :lol:

cottagebythesea
12-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Audrey is just fine, thank goodness. She and Cindy spent most of the night at the hospital, where they ran all kinds of tests on her. Seems she just experienced her first migraine, poor thing. But we're just elated that that's all it was. I always tend to think the worst, and all that was going through my mind was "meningitis". Thanks for all your concerns, everyone.

Barb0522
12-07-2007, 05:29 PM
cottage - I'm so glad Audrey is fine but it must be tough for a kid to have a migraine.

At least I got a decent night sleep. Robert was coughing and wouldn't move to the couch so I slept in Brian's other bunk. I'll probably have to do the same for at least a couple of days until Robert's cough gets better. I just don't want to do it for too long since I don't want Robert to think he can force me out of the bedroom.

We got one more statement from the insurance company for his hospitalization from October that shows we've got another $1000 in bills coming. That is going to mean taking more money from savings. I checked the credit cards online today and it looks like he has spent about an extra $500 on the stuff he bought for the house. This has got to stop. I'm going to have to talk to him about it or else I am going to have to take him off the credit card and he has been fighting that tooth and nail. I did email him the links for a few job openings I found online today. I just hope he can find something. I am sick of supporting him. Six years is more than enough.

I'm working tonight from home but should be done around midnight or 1 AM. Then we have leaf raking with the scouts tomorrow morning and we're having a garage sale to get rid of some stuff. At least the weather should be really nice. I can't believe it is 80 this time of the year. That's warm even for Dallas (but I do love the heat).

THINBYJUNE
12-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Yay!!!:carrot: I'm already home from work. 2 hours before I was even supposed to leave. I love it when my boss is tired and wants to leave early because we carpool. I'm going to do all the laundry and organize the kitchen cupboards and clean the house. Then I can have an entire weekend off. Ooh I'm also going to give yoga a try tonight.:yoga:
Pacer Apparently I received a little of your coffee buzz.:coffee:
Gonna I'm so glad you're feeling better.
Jessie I hope you start feeling better soon too.
Ruth Hope the dishwasher is fixed and you and Hershey stay warm.
Kim Hope lunch was good, especially since you were looking forward to it.
Femme The tilapia sounds divine. I have mahi-mahi in the freezer maybe I will try that.
Schmoodle Hope you got your training finished and have a great time at grandma's tonight.

Well I'm off to clean house and all the other little projects I've been putting off. BBL.

Schmoodle
12-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Good evening chickens,
I saw DD off on her camping trip a little while ago. Now I get to worry if she's warm enough all weekend...
My parents driveway is too icy, and they live a quarter mile up the side of a small mountain, so we decided to stay in for pizza this evening. DS is disappointed, but he can go and spend the night with them tomorrow. I got a lot done today, and had thought about going out to do a little Xmas shopping tonight, but now it's dark, cold, and wintry out there, and I think I might prefer to stay here, eat pizza, watch a movie, maybe take a hot bath. If I make up my grocery list and menus and write a few Christmas cards, I can feel like I got something done anyway, and I can do those things in my jammies! I really, really, really want a big bowl of buttered popcorn and some hot cocoa to go with the movie, but tomorrow morning is weigh in, and hopefully that will keep me honest!

Hope you chicks have cozy, warm plans for the evening!
cottage, I'm sure you're so relieved about Audrey. Poor baby...

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey ladies! Looks like you all had quite a day while I was sleepin' it up last night!

Linda, I'm so glad to haer Audrey is OK. I hope they figure out a way to control her migranes!

Stephanie, what the heck is puppy chow? I know what *puppy chow* is I just am figuring "puppy chow" is some kind of sweet treat for kids since your daughter was apparantly eating it???

Kim, hope your board meeting went well and that lunch was divine!

Gonnabe, glad you're feeling better! Sorry about your voice, though.

Barbara, I had to cut up Tom's credit cards when we got married. He just got one back last year, and he's been a saint with it (mostly - we haven't gone into debt over it at least!). I hope he's not trying to "get back at you" by spending the money you're working so hard to earn. He certainly hasn't been gentlemanly the last couple weeks...

Thinby, you got a deal in carpooling with the boss! Hope you got your list accomplished!

We're up bright and early for a new day here in Korea. I don't know what's on the schedule yet...we have to wait for Tom to give us a heads' up from work. It might be a cozy day at home with a fun project to keep the kids busy.

Kara

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Schmoodle, have you seen those 100 calorie bags of popcorn? They actually have a decent amount of popcorn in them! I think Orville Redenbacher makes them, although I haven't checked the ingredients and I imagine there are some hydrogenated oils and then like in there. I would LOVE to get an air popper!

Kara

Schmoodle
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey, anyone know how to tell if designer sunglasses are "authentic" or not? I'm sitting here looking at a pair I got on ebay for DD for Christmas. I am so not a label/name person it's killing me, but this is all she wanted for Christmas. I paid $165, and they're cute (so are my $12.99 pair), came with a case and cleaning stuff. But they are, after all, a pair of sunglasses, really just a big hunk of plastic. Just wondering if I got taken or not. The seller had many thousands of positive feedback, so I guess it's okay. But maybe I feel taken anyway, even if they are authentic. I still think they switched kids on me at the hospital. How could such a label fanatic spring from the loins of a confirmed bargain ho?

Schmoodle
12-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Kara, I'll have to check that out. At least it would take care of the portion issue. I generally stay away from popcorn because I can't stop at a cup. I used to have an air popper and it made the popcorn taste like styrafoam (sp?) to me. I had to add extra butter to make it good LOL!
I used to have a microwave popper that was cool and you didn't need oil. It was plastic, kind of a upside down cone shaped thing. The popcorn came out pretty tender and not dry. I haven't seen those around in the stores in a long time, wonder if they were unsafe or something... I did burn mine up.

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Schmoodle, go to the company's website and compare them with the products offered on the site.

Kara

cottagebythesea
12-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Kara, if I can find my old air popper, I'd let you have it. I agree with Schmoodle, the popcorn was tasteless. Ugh.

Schmoodle, I'd google the brand name of those sunglasses to find out what they're selling for. Your DD had better treat those sunglasses like gold, for what they cost you!