South Beach Diet - Thoughtful Thursday Chick In

View Full Version : Thoughtful Thursday Chick In

Schatzi
12-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Thufferin Thuckatash! It's Thursday already!!! :coffee: Ahhhh, that's better!

Cat: I bet you're going to have some menu for the holidays! Getting a Domain name is a neat idear!
LC: Congrats on the new car! I love Standard trans... my Trailblazer is my first non standard car ever... I miss it down here where driving is actually a pleasure.. but back in Joisey commuting into the Bronx , my clutching foot was not happy! Enjoy!!!

Cottage: Glad you're feeling better! You're our very own Martha! I :love: cookies..my biggest weakness for sure... I love thumbprint cookies where you fill the middle with jam ... YUMOLAH!

ThinbyJune: It's awful when you have to work in a bad environment- I hope DH finds something more suitable. :hug:

Kara: :yay: for you and Pepper Sticks!
Schmoo: are you guys all snowed in? :snow4:
Pacer: The title of todays thread was inspired by you! hmmm what was I proud of yesterday? DH wanted Wendy's for dinner.. I told him not for me... I opted for Bean Salad instead! :D

Gonna: :drool: that SouthBeach Split sounds DElish! A once in a while treat aint bad... and you made it SBD friendly!

Kim: I hope you're feeling rightas rain soon :hug: I use to love trampsing in the woods and selecting our tree..What fun! Are you going back to school? What for?

Beachie: I haveta admit I dont miss the snow up north..
GIVE! What are these lemon drop cookies???? I cant wait to set up my office here, it sounds like yours is just a little piece of paradise.. we go out this weekend shopping for furniture

Weezie: sounds like a deeeelightful night you had.. I love candles too..I use to be a partylite consultant.. I spent all my profits on more candles!

Last night we managed to get about 5 more boxes un packed.. slow :snail: but steady! Can someone please tell me why I still have a 1977 stereo with 8 track capability? 6 bowling balls (DH hasnt bowled in 15 years), "stirrup" pants? A box full of LPS and 8tracks??????? HOARDING stops now in the SchatziHouse!!!! :sumo: Ok, gotta get a refill, and start the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dust: fer Allllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomandkara
12-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the jumping purple smiley, Schatzi! I'm not so curious as to why you have your 8-track stereo, stirrup pants, and multiple bowling balls but more curious as to why they got packed and sent to your new house!!! We always find strange treasures when we move (and we've moved seven times in our eight years of marriage!).

Good morning to everyone else! I'm procrastinating from doing the dinner dishes so I thought I'd check in. I had portobello "pizza" and roasted eggplant and zucchini. It was delicious!

Better get to those plates before the food gets caked on.

Kara

femmecreole
12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Good Morning, Ladies...
running a bit late this morning trying to get some work done before leaving for school.
Schatzi, sounds like it's time for a mega yard sale! Yep, it's amazing what we hold onto!
Kara, we ended up having eggplant last night too. I grilled some chicken cutlets and grilled some eggplant, then stacked them up and put some leftover spaghetti sauce and mozz. cheese on top of that and baked it. It was really good, ok, I know you could do without the chicken. Tonight it's talapia!

I found out something very dangerous yesterday...I found out there is a restaurant supply place about 5 minutes from my house..uh oh. I have been looking and looking online for 3 items that I just haven't been able to find...heavy white "diner" mugs, small oval plates and bullion cups. Found them yesterday right here...who knew?? I thought it was just a refridgeration place all these years! They told me they are moving next year to a big facility and will be a "culinary superstore"...sounds like trouble to me. It's like a big toy store to me. I also got a big cookie jar and a neat aluminum pitcher for measureing liquids in quarts. Schatzi, I guess one day my kids will be having a mega yard sale with all my junk!

cottagebythesea
12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
It's a white winter wonderland! The kiddies have a 2 hr delay, so everyone can ease into the morning. :) Not much happening today. We had a lunchdate planned yesterday that we cancelled, so that's probably the plan for this afternoon. I know Audrey was dying to go out tobagganing yesterday, I'll have to go look for it in the barn. It'll be fun to give it it's first workout of the season!

cottagebythesea
12-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Cat, sounds like you hit "paydirt"! Have fun shopping! That eggplant dish sounds so good. I love eggplant but it doesn't like me. I always feel queasy after eating it. The only way I can eat it is in ratatouille.

Kara, better get cracking on those dishes! Actually, I'm one of those weirdos who enjoy doing dishes by hand. It brings back memories of the special one-on-one times with my mother while sharing that chore. We have a dishwasher, but mainly use it on the weekends.

Schatzi, sounds like it's time for a yardsale or a trip to Goodwill!

tomandkara
12-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Cat, I'm jealous of your kitchen supply store shopping! I love those places!

Linda, have fun in the snow! Guess my family is all out sledding as well.

Kara

tomandkara
12-06-2007, 07:48 AM
I actually don't mind doing the dishes either. We haven't had a dishwasher since we moved out of our house on base last December, so it's gotten to be routine. It's a nice way to wind down from a rushy-rush day!

Kara

THINBYJUNE
12-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Good Morning Ladies
I've been looking forward to the end of Ph1 and then it occurred to me this morning...the only thing I want that is not allowed right now is a glass of red wine and I don't want it all that bad.:carrot: the cravings have been banished. O.K. so FH went to work yesterday to find out his boss had postponed the jobs because of "some stuff" he had to take care of. FH is worried about how we will pay for the wedding next year but truth is I have bought almost everything and we will come in under budget of $3000 for wedding and reception. I also called one of our vendors and he set up an interview for FH today. Thanks for everyone's support. I knew I could count on you all.:hug:

Schatzi I'm sure you live by the motto waste not want not and any day now 8 tracks and stirrup pants are bound to make a huge come back;)
Femme I love restaurant supply stores too. I only ever get to go for work though, not as much fun.
Kara Good luck with the dishes and :cp: for making healthy choices.
Cottage The lunch date sounds fabulous. How's the ankle?

Everyone have a great day:)

Ruthxxx
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh! Just rushed around to get the garbage ready and the guys with the truck just drove by as I was bundling up to go out. It's 7ºF! I guess I'll be taking a trip to the delightful dump later today.

I'll try to get back to chat later. More snow is on the way!

tomandkara
12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Ruth, if it's really that cold outside just put your trash out and it will freeze and not be a problem!

Dawn, you are a wedding planning master! I bet you can't wait!

Kara

Schmoodle
12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Good Morning chicks,
We all slept in this morning as no school today and the kids are pretty delighted. They got out 2 hours early yesterday and headed straight for the sledding hill and had a blast. The first snow is always the most fun! At least they are old enough to get in and out of the snow gear without help. I guess we ended up with about 6 inches here.

Schatzi, we've been in this house 5 years, and I just finished unpacking the last boxes about a year ago. Couldn't figure out why we bothered to move some of that stuff. Since then I've been on a de-cluttering mission! Next time we move (if ever), I won't move anything I don't really want to keep!
Cat, any good suggestions for Tilapia? I love fish, and the tilapia goes on pretty good sale here on occasion, so I loaded up the freezer with it. But I prefer fish that tastes like fish (salmon, tuna, bluefish), and I find the tilapia pretty tasteless. Actually, it kind of tastes a little bit like dirt to me. Do you marinate it?
Kara, I didn't have a dishwasher in this house until last year when we remodeled the kitchen. I love my dishwasher! My hands were in terrible shape.
Thinby, I'm sure everything will work out for the best and the wedding will be lovely!

I uploaded some pix yesterday and thought I'd share. Here's DD, pleased with herself after her show on Tuesday. And a picture of my banister for cottage. And here's one of my house.

tomandkara
12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Schmoo, your daughter is so cute, your light in your entry is beautiful, and your house is just Christmas-perfect! I can't wait to get our "real house" (what we call our post-military abode)!!!

Kara

GONNABE165
12-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Hiya everyone! I am stll feeling a bit uh :( as I still feel achy & tired. I went home after work and went straight to bed.

Cat way to go on your good finds

Dawn do keep us posted on how things for your fh

Ruth that is some cold weather. Be sure to bundle up and stay warm

Hope everyone has a great healthy day!

JessieW
12-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Hey ladies! I keep meaning to post over here and haven't done it yet....so hi!

Schmoodle, My favorite recipe for tilapia is "Easy Fish Parmesan," it is in the phase 1 entrees on this site. It's soooo yummy!!

Cat, I love reading about your recipes. I wish I liked eggplant. The only place I have liked it is in China, and I understand their eggplant might be a different variety than we get here. They stir-fried it with a dark sauce (black bean maybe?) and it was awesome. We ate it almost every day.

Speaking of recipes, does anyone have an idea on how I could lighten up this one? http://kalofagas.blogspot.com/2007/12/gratin-of-zucchini-and-squash.html

Good morning to everyone else! I have not been home one single night this week and it's starting to wear on me. I have had "the yuck" for a week now and wake up hacking up a lung most nights. Bleccch. I am looking forward to resting at home tomorrow night while my DH watches our alma mater try to get to their division championship!! Go Spiders!! (University of Richmond) If they do get it he will go to Chattanooga next Friday to watch the game since it's so close!

Hope everyone is happy on this chilly morning! I am so glad it's mild here. It's plenty cold for me!

Jessie

Pacergal29
12-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Morning Chickies! Another cold one here, talking a lovely mix of rain and snow tonight. ICK!

Schatzi I am honored you thought of me when posting todays title! My proud moment yesterday was subscribing to Fitness Magazine for 2 years and checking out new yoga downloads for my ipod. Time to firm up this body now that the weight is gone! Boy do I know the feeling about "stuff". Why in the world are there not one but two tubas in my son's closet?????? I would donate them to the school but they are so old they school gave them to him!

Kara portobello "pizza" sounds wonderful!

Cat Wow 5 mins from your house???? I would be in so much trouble! Probably would have to apply for a part time job there to support my habit!

Cottage Now I have the opposite experience doing dishes with my mom, she would always clean the fridge when I did dishes!

Thin Sounds like you have got the wedding planning under control! Good job!

Schmoodle You just keep your snow to yourself! The only time I like it is if I can stay in and don't have to go anywhere! I love your house!

Gonna & Jessie Hope you get well soon!

Me Nothing much new. Looking forward to the weekend, need to get some shopping done and get those christmas cards out! Time to get to work! Have a great day girls!

cottagebythesea
12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Schmoodle, thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Your DD is a cutie! Your banister looks great, and I just love the stained glass transom window above your door! Have fun playing in the snow today!

beachgal
12-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Mornin'!

:lol: Schatzi about the hoarding. I'm right there with ya. :rolleyes: The funny thing about moving, as frustrating and annoying as it is, is that it makes you clear out a ton of old stuff. Since you guys haven't moved in a while, that kind of explains the random stuff. I still have boxes I haven't opened from our move 6 years ago. :o Just wait until the next move...that ain't gonna be pretty... I'm just amazed that you didn't ditch the bowling balls before moving them! :lol3:

Ooh, Kara, your dinner sounds divine! :drool: I think one of the best things one learns as a military family (or any kind of often-moving family) is how to pack quickly and let things go. My friend Ange, who's lived all over the world as a military brat, can pack up all her belongings faster than you can say, "move!" ;)

:lol: Cat about your kids having a yard sale with your junk! Me too! The superstore sounds like great fun!

Glad you get to ease into the morning, Cottage! Sounds nice! We still have snow, but it's not much. I don't like doing dishes, myself, but I have several friends who eschew their dishwasher in favor of doing them all by hand. My friend Caty is a fervent hand-washer to the point that I was shocked to find out, last year, that her mom uses a dishwasher! :fr: I have no idea where she picked up her preference. ;) The tobagganing sounds fantastic!!!

Schatzi I'm sure you live by the motto waste not want not and any day now 8 tracks and stirrup pants are bound to make a huge come back

Dawn!!! :lol3: That's great! *wiping eyes* I'm glad things are going much better with DF's job future. Sounds like he'll be a lot happier. I agree with you, weddings work out eventually. No matter what else happens, you'll be married, and that's the most important thing! :hug:

Oh, Beautiful Ruth...that's SOOO frustrating!!! :tantrum: I don't know if you can manage it (especially if the "wildlife" takes an interest), but we always put our trash out the night before. We'd never make it in the morning--they come by around 4 AM! :tired: Hope your trip to the dump is fast and easy. :hug:

Schmoodle, your house is gorgeous and your DD even more so! :love: Love what you did with the bannister! Glad the kiddos are having fun! We didn't get hit hard enough for a snow day, though it snowed all day yesterday.

Me:
Last day of the work week for me. Today's the long day, made even longer by the Ladies' Night Out tonight. Somehow I got volunteered to be in charge of the LNOs for a club I belong to. I don't mind planning the events too much, but I have to go to all of them, and that can be frustrating during this time of year. A good friend I haven't seen in a while is going, though, and we're going to carpool so we can catch up. That'll be nice. Tonight's plans are to go shopping at the mall for an hour or so, then meet up at Ruby Tuesday in the mall for dinner. I hope it goes well!

Lots to do tomorrow--I'll be packing up and mailing my Christmas gifts for family and friends, who are on the West coast and in Hawai'i. Got get em going so they'll be there by Christmas.

Hope everyone has a great day! Stay warm! It was 11* here this morning! :brr:

beachgal
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi, Gonnabe165 and Pacergal! :wave:

There's a kind of eggplant called Japanese eggplant. Do you think that's what you had in China? It's long and skinny. For some reason, it makes me sick though regular eggplant causes no problems. It must be rawther different than the "regular" stuff!

The recipe sounds delish! Here's what I would do:

Gratin of Zucchini and Squash

1/2 stick of unsalted butter (I'd use either 1 T of butter and a complimentary amount of canola oil to make up the difference, or the same amount of regular Smart Balance as the butter listed)
1 large onion,
large zucchinis, cut into round slices
1/2 carrot, box grated
1 sweet banana pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups of squash, and diced
1/2 cup of flour (change to WW flour)
1 1/2 cups of milk (use 1% milk)
1 cup of aged white cheddar (use 1/2 cup of really, really flavorful white cheddar, and 1/2 cup of lowfat sharp cheddar)
A few springs of thyme
1/2 cup of chopped fresh dill
2 scallions, chopped
2 Tbsp. of chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg
some grated cheese for topping (here's a good place to use some real cheese as it melts better and broils better as well...but you could use lowfat if you like)

GONNABE165
12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Laurie I hope you enjoy girls night out.

I registered for fitday and for some reason it just seems so complicated and to much work. One of the main reasons I like south beach is because it takes hardly any effort. So now I wonder do I even need to continue with fitday?

Schmoodle
12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Back again gals!

Ruth, sorry I missed ya this AM!
Gonnabe, feel better soon! I used fitday for a few months. It is labor intensive at first, but does get easier, once you've got your own stuff entered in the custom foods. Sometimes you really have to hunt for a common food though. There's absolutely no need to do it on SB, only if you feel it's a benefit to you. It helped me to get a feel for portion sizes, how many calories I was eating, etc., but I did get tired of it and quit.
Jessie, you feel better too, glad you made your way over here! I'll look up the recipe. I think I'll be able to eat the fish if I put lots of added flavor on it. Otherwise, I'll just feed it to DH and DS. They prefer fish that doesn't taste like fish!:dizzy:
Thanks Laurie and Kara!

Kids are enjoying a lazy morning, but the phone has been ringing off the hook with friends looking for them. They just ate breakfast and are getting ready to head out into it now...

weezle
12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Kara, I have several as I used to sell Partylite. I have 3 little jar candles that they sold as a pack years ago, one's red that smells kind of like cinnamon and other stuff, one's white (Holiday Spices,) and one's green and smells woodsy and a little like pine. I also got one from Bed Bath and Beyond last year called Christmas Wreath that smells like a Christmas tree. I love the smells of Christmas. Oh, and I'm a candle FREAK.

Good morning girls! Getting ready to start my day but I thought I'd pop in real quick-like and say hi! Not a lot going on today, as my piano student's dad didn't call, so I just have to go to the store and relax, probably do some housework, and that's it! Going to watch a movie in a sec. Hope you all have a great day!

Lisa

THINBYJUNE
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm back. My boss is out of town so I actually have a little down time at work today:coffee:
Schmoodle Your daughter is adorable and your home is gorgeous. I fought for 3 hours with the tree last night only to decorate and find out the stand had a leak and had emptied its contents on my living room carpet. Needless to say no pictures at my house this year.
Ruth I hate when that happens. I hope the trip to the dump was quick and painless.
Weezle Your candles and movie sound delightful have a great day.
Pacer Do tell more about these yoga Ipod downloads. I've never done yoga but have been looking into it.
Gonna Rest up. I hope you're feeling better.
Laurie Stay warm and have a great time tonight with your friends.
Jessie Enjoy your first night back home. There are times of the year when I travel quite a bit for business and there is nothing like that first night back home.
Hope everyone is having a great day.

Pacergal29
12-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Dawn I have been getting podcast downloads from itunes. The ones I really like are from yogadownload. They are short 20 minute practices and there are pose guides you can download also for each session. I have found I enjoy the free podcasts because, well they are free! If I end up downloading one I don't like I can simply delete it and be out nothing!

As for yoga itself, I love it, I am not much of an exercise person but really enjoy yoga. It is amazing the strength and balance I have gained since starting. Trust me, this is coming from a person with no coordination at all, if I can do it anyone can!

GONNABE165
12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Schmoodle thanks for the fitday advice

I now feel my left leg has healed as I did 47 min walk/jog on the treadmil at lunchtime. I weigh in in the morning and I'm kinda wondering if my lack of working ou intensity will have an effect on what the scale will read. :?:

I haven't had much of an apetite today I did eat an omelet at bfast and I just forced myself to eat some lunch. I know its probably from this cold bug I think I'm getting. Whats a girl to do?

Hope everyone is having a great day! :)

Kim_Star060404
12-06-2007, 03:21 PM
YIKES! Every day I end up getting here later and later and there's always a lot of chatter going on! What about the winter makes us such chatty chicks??

I've read all the posts, but I'll have to get back later to respond. Went to the doctor this morning for my follow-up for the breathing thing and that went well. She said my lungs sound perfectly clear and that I could get back to working out. Wahoo! (Shhhh, don't tell her I worked out yesterday!)

We also went over my lab results from my bi-monthly blood work. Everything is still normal except the testosterone levels, so she upped my Metformin again. I think it will be fine this time and am looking forward to having all these symptoms under control. I still need to be working hard to get this weight off, but at least I have the medical world on my side!!

Finally, I joined a weight-loss competition with some friends from Austin. Today was my official starting weigh-in day with them, so I'm going to call that my official starting December weight! 214.5 to start.

Goodness, it's almost 1:30 - need to get some work done. I'll try and get back after dinner tonight!

~Kim

Ruthxxx
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
So much for getting back in. I made the trip to the dump, went to foorcare at the clinic, couldn't mail the parcel as it was too heavy for me to lug, my wood was delivered but not stacked and Donna came and did a super cleaning job this afternoon. Whew!

Tomorrow is another day as Scarlett said. I'll ask friend Rob to mail my heavy parcel for me as I have to hang out for the Sears dw repairman. Tonight I WILL get a good solid night's sleep. I promise to go to bed right after Grey's Anatomy and go to sleep. Today has been sort of a lost day.

Barb0522
12-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I haven't even read the threads. Work has been busy. I'm exhausted after less than 4 hours of sleep last night with a big fight with Robert. For awhile it looked like he was going to try to contest me for custody of Brian. Things are calmer for now but I never know what it is going to be like when I get home. Hopefully I'll be able to read and post more tomorrow.

tomandkara
12-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Gonnabe, I hope your post-work rest helped clear up your sad, blue-faced smiley!

Jessie, good to see you back! Is the mascot of your alma mater really the spider?!

Stephanie, what about donating the tubas to a school in a lower-income area? Or put them on Craig's List. *Somebody* might want them!

Kara

tomandkara
12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Jessie, about the recipe...

I'd cut out the butter and replace it with maybe a tablespoon of olive oil. I'd use whole wheat flour in place of the white (they're making a roux there, like what you do for a white sauce), and you oould always cut back on the amount of cheese and use low-fat instead of full-fat versions. I'd skip the bread crumbs completely.

Hope that helps!

Oh, I just realized Laurie already answered your question but I don't feel like deleting my reply...

Barbara, you sound really stressed, even over the computer. Hugs and prayers for you!

Thanks for the candle advice, Lisa!

Ruth, your busy-ness rivals mine! Gosh, I was hoping things would settle after the kids got bigger, but apparently not!!!

Kim, glad you're clear for working out! I won't tell your doc about yesterday.

Have a good night. I'm off to do my ball workout.

Kara

cottagebythesea
12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Barb, :hug: I'm so sorry that Robert is making things hard for you. It sounds to me as if he's scared, now that he has to grow up. Try to take it one day at a time, sweetie, and one day this will all be behind you.