South Beach Diet - DaVinci syrups

View Full Version : DaVinci syrups

tomandkara
12-04-2007, 02:59 AM
I FOUND THE SUGAR-FREE VANILLA SYRUP AT THE COMMISSARY! :woohoo: Now, what do I do with it? (I don't drink coffee.)

Kara

cottagebythesea
12-04-2007, 07:58 AM
:carrot::carrot::carrot: Kara! You can add it to your yogurt, cottage cheese, or anything else that you'd like to sweeten up a little. Go easy at first, though, only a tsp or so until you get the degree of sweetness you want. A little goes a long way! I sweeten my Nessa Bars with DaVinci syrups instead of using Splenda.

tomandkara
12-04-2007, 09:05 AM
I put some in my NSA hot chocolate this afternoon and it was SO good! Thanks for the recommendation!

Kara

Schmoodle
12-04-2007, 09:07 AM
That's exciting Kara! You will think of lots of things to do with it. And you will find out how much you can tolerate too.:o Unfortunately I can't use much of it because it does nasty things to my insides.

tomandkara
12-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Oooo, I will keep an eye out. Is it a particular ingredient that does you in?

Kara

Schmoodle
12-04-2007, 09:34 AM
It's the artificial sweetener that's in it. I can't remember which one is in that, but there several that affect me that way. I think it's the sugar alcohols. Before I knew this, I took some sugar free gummy bears to the movies. I ate about twenty and missed the last half of the movie! Later I looked at the box and a serving was supposed to be about five or so!

tomandkara
12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I remember that movie story. I think it was right after we started together! Weren't you on a trip or something?

I think it's Splenda in the syrups. I was surprised that I couldn't really taste the aftertaste. My mom uses Splenda a lot in her baking and it is a good way to keep me from eating cookies because I can't stand the aftertaste! Maybe I used such a scant amount of the syrup that I couldn't tell.

Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Kara

Sheba's Mom
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I use the SF syrups in a protein drink that I make. The protein powder is SF and I use non fat milk to make the drink. I usually have it on oatmeal with a little nutmeg and cinnamon. Makes the oatmeal really yummy. Sometimes I just use the nutmeg, cinnamon and syrup with out and milk on it. That is really good also.

I also use it when I make the bean muffin recipe out of the recipe section on here. I use the Macadamia syrup and Almond oil with Navy beans and it makes a great muffin for my hubby's breakfast each day.

I have used it in several other things but these are the only two that come to mind right now.

My next experiment with it is going to be replacing the sugar in pumpkin pie with one of them. Not sure which one yet but it is on my to do list for this weekend.

Good luck with experimenting with the syrups.

tomandkara
12-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Thank you, Sheba's mom. Do you replace the sugar one-for-one with the syrup? It seems that would be a lot of syrup!

Kara

Pearlrose
12-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Kara, question- where in the commisary did you find? I am hoping they carry in our commisary but have not found. Thanks

tomandkara
12-08-2007, 12:46 AM
If it was here in Korea, it HAS to be where you are!

I found it by the flavored coffees, on the top shelf. They had sugar-free and regular vanilla flavored syrups, but no other kinds. I've heard that there are a couple different varieties, though.

Good luck!

Kara

cottagebythesea
12-08-2007, 07:44 AM
DaVinci carries SF syrups in almost any flavor imaginable. Check out their website. They often have "specials", and the more you order, the less your cost of shipping, too. I love the peanut butter, butter rum and pumpkin pie!

tomandkara
12-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Oh, Linda. You had to say peanut butter! I'm heading to the website right now...

Kara

tomandkara
12-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Poo and double poo. I just went to the website and picked three really yummy-sounding varieties and got to the shipping portion of the checkout and read they don't ship to APO addresses. Next time I go to the commissary, though, I'm going to ask them to get more kinds!!!

Kara

browneyedgirl77
12-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Pearlrose- my commissary here at Ft Gordon also carries the syrups in the coffee section.

I just picked up a bottle of sf caramel from Walmart. Not to crazy about it. So far I have tried the sf hazelnut, sf vanilla and the sf caramel. The sf vanilla is definitely my fave.

Kara Maybe you could get a family member to pick some up for you here and ship them. I'm sure you know they have flat rate boxes at the post office. They could get them from Walmart. They sell the syrups cheaper than the website and I'm sure the shipping will be less.

tomandkara
12-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Pohai, you're awesome! Thanks for the great idea!

Kara

Pearlrose
12-09-2007, 04:45 AM
I don't drink coffee so maybe that is why I have not seen them at the commisary LOL, will definitely look in that section next time I am at Scott AFB. Thanks

LoveMySgt
12-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I know they had them at our commissary in FL, but not sure if they do here at our tiny one in (kings bay) Ga. We have a lot less items than the other comm's than I've been too. Weird thing, couldn't find it at walmart, maybe they were out?

How much syrup would you use in Nessa bars?

cottagebythesea
12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
How much syrup would you use in Nessa bars?

I use about a tablespoon or so.

LoveMySgt
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks cottage :) Can't wait until next weekend to make some!

RocknRoll
12-09-2007, 04:00 PM
I am getting a bottle of peppermint daVinci syrup for christmas!! I am SO excited!!

I have the caramel right now but I can't find anything to put that in.

cottagebythesea
12-09-2007, 06:14 PM
:drool:RocknRoll, Try putting the caramel syrup on your oatmeal, yum! I like to add sliced banana and some toasted walnuts or pecans to my oatmeal, and drizzle it with the caramel syrup. It's also great on a baked apple. ;)
I have the peppermint paddy syrup, and it's fantastic in hot cocoa and the ricotta creme dessert.

Pearlrose
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Well couldn't wait, so I made the trip to the commisary and they do carry. Three varieties of SugarFree. Trying the Vanilla first. Thanks

tomandkara
12-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Oooo, I'm jealous!

Kara

THINBYJUNE
12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
RocknRoll
You might try putting the caramel in the black bean brownies or hot chocolate. I think I remember seeing a recipe for cheesecake in the recipe section if you add caramel to that you might get more of a creme brulee taste.

sarahyu
12-14-2007, 05:23 AM
I use the fruit flavored ones in cold water to get the flavored water affect without much hassle. I use about a tablespoon per quart depending on how strong I want it. Sometimes I add some ice, blend it up and make a slushy.
Sarah in MD

browneyedgirl77
12-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Fruit flavored? I'm so jealous I didn't even know they made a fruit flavored one. Where do you get those?

tomandkara
12-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Pohai, go to the website. It's unbelievable!

Kara

THINBYJUNE
12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
BrownEyed Girl
I don't know exactly where you are but if there is a specialty coffee shop somewhere near you, they proabably have a few flavors and could be talked into ordering some for you. I found a website for a specialty coffee shop here on the west coast but they don't ship to APO (sorry Kara I tried :)) They have alot of the flavors so I called their nearest shop they had a couple in stock.

tomandkara
12-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I found a guy on E-bay. He said he'd ship them to me, but I realized we'll be home in a little over a month now, so I can just pick some up while we're in the States and hand-carry them to Germany.

Kara

LoveMySgt
12-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Kara - where are you going to in Germany? Is it usual that you would go from one overseas PDS to another or did you want it that way?

tomandkara
12-14-2007, 07:29 PM
We're going to Ramstein Air Base. Our story is a bit confusing, but yes, we did request the Germany assignment. Consecutive overseas tours are not unheard of.

Tom had orders to the desert for a one year tour when Avery was days from being born. He was supposed to leave the day after her due date or something like that. When his shirt heard about it, she sent the guy who was #2 on the list, putting Tom back at #1 but still in California (which was good because Avery was born at home and we didn't have a midwife or anyone else there!). When he "got out of" those orders, he changed his dream sheet to have Korea as his first pick because since the tours to the desert from his shop were one year rotations anyway, he figured better to go someplace for a year that we could come visit (we weren't planning on all going at first) than someplace we couldn't! He got the orders to Korea the day after Avery was born. He left in March and we went to stay near family but it was too hard. I'd find Connor curled up in his bed with a picture of Tom, crying. Every time the doorbell rang, Kadyn would run to the front of the house thinking it was Tom. Avery was only nine months old. So we packed up our things and got on a plane and sashayed our little booties over to Asia. Tom was approved to live off base, and we have full base priveleges, access to medical, etc. so it's really no different than any other tour. Our kids are on the bottom of the priority list for school enrollment, but we homeschool anyway, so that doesn't matter. We are having a great time being here! But when you get sent on an unaccompanied remote (which is funny because, really, we're all here!), one of the benefits is that you get to "pick" (not that they always listen) your next assignment. Tom had Germany, Italy, and England down on his dream sheet and we got his first pick! We found out before he left for Korea that we had gotten the Germany assignment and we were so excited! It's a three year assignment, but we'll likely have the option to extend for a fourth year, which would put him at a year and a half to retirement, so we're thinking they might just leave us there for the remainder of his enlistment. Everyone we've talked to have loved Germany, especially this base, so we just can't get there fast enough. We've been to New Jersey (that's actually where we're from), Washington state, D.C., Texas, northern California, and Tom did another tour here in Korea before we were married. Quite a life!

Kara