Old 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default All over the board right now

On plan, off plan, back on plan. OMG! I am so all over the board right now. Last week I was struggling, but I managed to turn my self around and get back on plan on Friday, but then I was off plan on Saturday & Sunday. I wasn't on plan for breakfast and I just found myself on my way to Wendy's and I was planning on ordering a fried chicken sandwich with mayo and fries. I found myself in the car telling myself no. I even said it out loud. I am down 14 lbs and I am not going to gain in all back. I know how to be on plan. So I ordered a grilled chicken plain with a chili. **SIGH** Ok, sanity. This roller coaster is insane.

Including my lunch I am at 1,155 calories. I can finish within my limit if I just stop this non-sense.

Today is the beginning of week 7. You guys know I never last this long. In the beginning I was perfect and did awesome. But I cheated on Thanksgiving and have been on and off ever since. I will not offer you one single excuse because there are not any. If I go off plan it's because I chose to go off plan. I am happy that I am recognizing that I am going off plan and stopping myself or at the very least managing to get back on plan at some point. But this is aggravating.

I am also concerned because Thursday is a baby shower at a country club and Friday is a Christmas Party at a Mexican Restaurant.

I really don't know what I am looking for by posting this here, I just know that I need to keep going with my program. My life depends on it!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sandi,

I've had those days (weeks, months, years). Sometimes I've just ridden it out, no matter how devastating and other times I've tried to fight. It is crazy how food can have such control over us.

I do think that you can do this though Sandi. You can tell that food that you are boss. Take every moment at a time and do your best. Forgive yourself if you do slip but try again.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #3  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I know the feeling, Sandi...I think most of us do, lol.

I have to say that I'm incredibly proud of you for hanging in there and making no excuses..I have a hard time with that myself.
It's a struggle, I know...especially this time of year with SO many tempting foods and SO many Christmas parties to attend. The important this is to NOT beat yourself up if you slip, AND to get back on track. We're all works in progress, but we'll get there!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Sandi, hang in there. This is a difficult time of year for everyone, you are not alone. Just look at this as a bump in the road of your weightloss journey, not the end. Maybe you should focus on just maintaining and making the best choices possible until the holidays are past. Or maybe you need to take a look at your plan and see if it needs some tweaking to make it more livable for you. I know you can work through this!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

With as much gentle "tough" love as possible, you really really need to plan to be on plan. Pack lunches, everyday. Have stuff ready and on hand for healthy breakfasts - every morning. You have 2 fun food-related events back to back, consider not eating the event food at one of them (eat in advance and stay away from all the food (this is probably easiest at the baby shower, take a snack and eat YOUR food).

At the mexican restaurant - order a bowl of black bean soup, no cheese and eat it slowly with some pico de gallo and a whole wheat tortilla (if possible). If it's a pre-set buffet, find a server and order whatever you want (if you have to pay for it, pay for it - your health is worth more than a free chimichanga). I order what I want when I want it and I don't care if people stare or think I'm weird, I lost nearly 75 lbs and my methods worked for me, whatever anybody thinks.

Make fast food completely off limits. There was no time during my weight loss (or current maintenance) where I've ever gone to Wendy's (or places like that). Eating healthy is a lot of work and it doesn't happen by accident. If you need good food fast, almost every grocery store has a nice salad/soup bar (particularly Whole Foods if you are lucky enough to live near one). Sushi places and Subway are also better choices.

I know you really want this and sticking to it for seven weeks is awesome but you really need to proactively set yourself up for success. Menu plan for an entire week, every meal, every snack. Buy what you need, prep as much as possible and have everything READY and at your fingertips.

I definitely understand the Thanksgiving "bobble," I wasn't an angel either (pumpkin cheesecake /swoon) nipping it in the bud and getting immediately back on track is the absolute right thing to do. Don't forget Christmas is coming, use this experience with the Thanksgiving holidays to make you stronger and more prepared for the next series of events.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I really think that the mental anguish of fighting to stay on plan is something the naturally thin among us can never understand. To know what the right thing is to do and have to fight so hard to do it.

Would it help you to concentrate on a mini-goal like finishing the year well or just be additional pressure you don't need? Maybe just something small like not having any chips when you go to the party at the Mexican place.

Keep plugging away at it. And read your own signature quote. It's one of my very favorites and I think about it all the time.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Sandi, I relate because I am SO like you! At least, i have been in the past year I have been on this struggling journey. For some reason things have changed in my head lately and mostly I started to expect more from myself. I used to expect to fail, expect to give in, expect that when a challenge came I could not overcome. But in the past two weeks I have proven to myself that I was cheating myself...I CAN succeed, not give in, and WIN every challenge...and so can you!!!

It is really hard, but I know that if I have one bite of sugar it will be awhile before I can get back on plan, so for now I just have to stay on plan at all costs. I can't go off because I won't get back on easily. Maybe you need to do that...put yourself on plan and do not go off for ANYTHING...not even a party! You can find something healthy at the restaraunt, and if they are online you should look up their menu before you go and be prepared with what you will order. The baby shower, just bring something on your plan and stick with that, or as someone else said go full already, and take some water to sip while others eat.

CHEW GUM!! Sugar free gum is helping me so much lately, it gives my mouth something to do while I keep my hands busy elsewhere.

Getting back on plan is so hard...and I too think about your siggy quote all the time. Time to listen to yourself and give yourself some tough self love....pick your hard Then just do it, don't listen to your excuses, turn them around in your head...you know better!!!!!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #8  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Sandi you seem to stay on plan as long as there are no events or holidays to disrupt the routine that you've established. Now we all know that we need to learn to cope with these events and holidays but until that happens can you just not avoid them as much as possible? I don't want you to turn into a hermit but do you really need to go to this shower and Christmas party?? Really, really?? To my mind it is the same as saying do you really need to walk into a minefield? Not everyone who has been invited to these events is going to go, will it be the end of the world if you don't go either? Will the bride be all that upset if you don't go or whoever is hosting the other party? Wouldn't they be happier knowing that you avoided a pitfall and stayed on plan which right now to my mind takes priority. It won't be the end of the world for them but think how upset and frustrated you are going to be if you don't stay on plan for these events and then everything spirals out of control? Like I said I know you can't avoid this stuff forever but the longer you go with staying on plan the more it is going to become a habit and in another few weeks you may be able to stay on plan with less effort than what it is now. I would say that it isn't worth it to go right now when you are feeling very vulnerable.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Hey sandi! stay strong! i think getting the grilled chicken/chili instead of the fatty fried chicken and fries is a BIG step! I really think it's unrealistic (for ME anyway) to say I'll NEVER eat fast food again - I don't think what I'm doing is a "diet" where I get to stop at some point LOL, it's just life from now on. and LIFE will require some fast food at times LOL so as long you can make the CHOICE of something healthier, it'll all fit into your calories for the day or 2 days, as long as we log what we ate, know the calories and can make room in the budget!

I think picking the healthier choice is a cause for celebration!! don't think of it as "cheating" it's NOT!!! it's LIFE and you made a pretty choice over an artery-clogging bad choice! yay!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I have to agree with so much that has been said already. When I first started out, I had to avoid certain situations like restaurants and parties. I even lied my way out of going because saying you don't want to go because you're in a fragile state is not socially acceptable, but feeling ill is. And, frankly, my weight was making me ill so I guess that excuse wasn't too far off. Once I started seeing some good results, it got easier to accept invitations and choose wisely at restaurants because I wanted to continue seeing my pants fall off.

And as Glory mentioned, preplanning is crucial to getting the weight off. I had to carry food around with me and plan my meals in advance so I was never in a position to go to a fast-food restaurant. Sometimes I'd cook on the weekends so heating things up was quick. When I did go to parties, I brought stuff I could eat so I knew that I would have something to eat that was healthy.

It's difficult to ignore that child within us who wants what she wants when she wants it, but the payoff for staying on plan is incredible. Seven weeks is awesome, Sandi! Get yourself back in the groove--you'll be glad that you did.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Boy, some great advice here! Jen, I especially like what you said about "do you really need to go to the party/shower?" Awesome thought and big revelation for me. No I am NOT required to go!!

Anyway, Sandi, I just wanted to add this thought. Awhile back, I was reading one of your posts and I saw your signature thing that shows your current weight. I thought, "Wow, look at Sandi go!!! I know she's struggled in the past, but she is making awesome progress!! Good for her!" Keep with it Sandi. You and I both know (yes, I can totally relate to your situation) that the temptations will NEVER make you feel good. Even though the taste might be good at the moment, you know that you will feel bad about it later. You're going to beat yourself up for not being able to stay on plan. It just isn't worth it.

Keep strong and think about how you will feel when you keep yourself in control and can beat this thing. It's a tough time of year, but you are tougher than the situation! You CAN totally do this! You've been doing it! STAY STRONG!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #12  

Hang in there Sandi. 7 weeks stand for a lot of hard work, there is some good advice that has been offered, I just wanted to add that this is the perfect place to talk about it!
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I am happy that I am recognizing that I am going off plan and stopping myself or at the very least managing to get back on plan at some point.
That says it all -- you recognize that you're going off plan, and like you said, you KNOW how to be on plan. Sandi, you can do this. You've done it for seven weeks. You're an inspiration to me, because you keep trying even though it's a struggle. It's a struggle for all of us, and I want us all to succeed together, and I know you can do it! You know how to make the right choices -- you did with the grilled chicken instead of fried. You know how much better you'll feel if you stick with it. Imagine how good you'll feel in a week or so if you know you stuck through this difficult time. Imagine how you'll feel next year if you stick with it and lose a bunch of weight! I always think about the times I struggled to stay on plan throughout my weight loss. What if I'd stopped? I wouldn't be where I am now. And I want you to know how good it feels to hit goal. So stick with it, and keep coming here to talk with us about it when you have a hard time. We certainly all know what that's like, and we can try to help you through it!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #14  
No description available.

Oh, Sandi!

Your post was very spot on, cause the last 24 hrs have been horrible for me foodwise.....cause I didn't plan and cause I indulged my inner toddler. I am so proud of you for making a better choice at Wendy's....that is a real victory!!

So how about we dust ourselves off together and make the next meal on plan, and then the next day on plan. And so it goes.....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sandi -- BIG I am really proud of you for getting yourself back on! Some good advice already. I'll probably repeat what others said.

I'd frame the question this way: RIGHT NOW, what's more important to you? Sticking to your plan, or indulging at these events? Do you have to go? If you DO go, do you have to indulge?

You're the only one who can answer these questions!

And while it's great you take responsibility for going off, is there any reason? Do you feel you have enough to eat? Enough variety? Enough whatever you need to keep going?

Finally, you know you have to expunge the all-or-none thinking. I wish I knew how to do it, but continually pressing myself to recognize that really helps.

Keep at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote