Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #1  
www.j3nn.net

S/C/G: 319/269/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Some yummy recent food discoveries of mine:

I posted this on other boards today, so I thought I'd post on here too to share with people that haven't tried these things yet and get some new ideas myself!

Fage 2% yogurt with side cherries - 140 calories per serving.

Oh my GOODNESS! It tastes like creamy cheesecake. I eat the Fage 0% yogurt with my own added fruit and figured the 2% with the side fruit would taste the same (kinda bland) but it didn't. It has a completely different taste if you put the cherries on top like you would cheesecake. Fantastic! I can't wait to get more.

----
Almond cheese

Lissanatti Almond cheese - 50 calories per 1oz serving.

I didn't think it would be good at all being it's made from almonds but I was pleasantly surprised! It has the same texture as cow's milk cheese and tastes just as good! So far I've the: pepperjack, mozzarella, and cheddar flavors. Best part? 1g of fat and it's monunsaturated and 7g of protein per serving!

I used the mozzarella flavor on whole wheat pita pizza with dried oregano, garlic powder, and fresh basil after it was done - DELISH!

----
Pumpkin butter

30 calories per tablespoon

A lot like apple butter but with the flavor of pumpkin pie. I had it for breakfast on a piece of toast, yum!

----
No Pudge Brownies:

120 calories per serving, prepared.

I've seen many people around here talking about them, so I tried them and instead of using the nonfat yogurt, I substituted 2/3 cup canned pumpkin and they came out SO moist and fudgy. Love them!

These are some of my recent finds, what are some of yours?
j3nn dot net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/193/135

Height: 5'4"

Have you tried hummus yet? It's something I just discovered within the last couple of weeks. So far I've only tried the roasted red pepper. I've been using it as a substitute for mayo on wraps, but I guess it makes a good veggie dip to.
Time for a change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Oooh i am a hummus fan too.

That yogert with cherries sounds DELICIOUS.

I like:

100 calorie popcorn packs
light laughing cow cheese (plain or on wheat crackers)
light string cheese
Any Kashi cereal with fruit (has so much protien and fiber, keeps you full for hours)
Soy chips (instead of potato chips...Full circle brand has a good amount of protien)
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #4  

Hummus is awesome. Baba ganouj is also very tasty, although a bit higher in fat content.

Edamame is my new favorite snack. It's soybeans in the pod and they're only 100 calories per serving and 3 grams of fat. A serving is also 4 grams of fiber, which is awesome, especially if you're on weight watchers.

I love those soy chips too!! I can never eat only the serving size though.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #5  
www.j3nn.net

S/C/G: 319/269/150

Height: 5'3"

Yep, I love hummus with baby carrots! Great stuff. I like the regular more than flavored, like: basil & tomato etc.
j3nn dot net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

j3nn
Do you have a recipe for no pudge brownies?

I love weight watcher snacks. Their fudge bars are to die for with only 1 gram of fat and their sherbet bars are just wonderful with only .5 grams of fat.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Excuse me ladies ~ but just what is HUMMUS exactly? I mean, what is it made of? It is hard for me to find lite cheeses. I did finally find the lite Laughing Cow cheese; it come in foil wedges and is like a cheese spread; I find the lite cream cheese nice too but with a milder flavor.

I do already use the skim milk mozzarella and heard that Farmer's cheese is lower in fat. Does anyone know any other kinds of cheese that are lower in fat (I mean the kind that you can eat in small pieces)?
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The pumpkin butter is EXCELLENT. For a real treat, drizzle a tbsp over some roasted winter squash. Oh, it is HEAVENLY.

I also use it instead of syrup on light french toast...a tsp is enough per slice and it gives that sweet/moist quality of syrup with very few calories.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hummus is pureed chickpeas with tahini (sesame) paste. It's very, very easy to make. Throw a can of chickpeas in a food processor with a spoonful of tahini, a good drizzle of olive oil, some stock/water/bean juice, lemon juice, salt plus seasonings (I like garlic or roasted garlic, cumin and cayenne) and puree until smooth. The whole process takes about 5 minutes. Very quick, very easy, very tasty.

Oh, and you can also buy it in any grocery store in a variety of flavors. I'd recommend buying some and if you like it, start making it yourself. Much cheaper and you can control the amount of oil that goes into a batch.

Last edited by baffled111; 11-29-2007 at 09:49 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #10  
active kids, active mom

I have got to find some laughing cow cheese.

My favorite find is Only 8 frozen yogurt -- made without any crud and only 32 calorie per 1/2 cup. DH gets is by the quarts for us at our local coffee shop -- the only place I have ever seen it -- though they do have a website where you can find locations.

I try and stick with whole foods, but only 8 and Luna Bars have saved me -- especially since I am frequently chauffeuring kids around.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #11  
The Pink Champagne

S/C/G: 165/114/110

Height: 5'2"

I like:
Laughing Cow
Yoplait Thick and Creamy yogurt(sorry..I just can't jump on bored the "plain yogurt" band wagon...I know I can add fruit, but this is just so quick and easy at work)
Kashi GoLean Cereal
Hershey's 60-calorie dark chocolate sticks.
Luna Bars...my faves are the Dulce de Leche and Cookies n Cream. Also like Blueberry yogurt ones for a breakfast on the run.

I'm intrigued by the no-pudge brownies!

I haven't had the pumpkin butter...I've had cinnamon butter though and loved it! put a little on a bagel w/some peanut butter and it was yummy!
DGAdDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #12  
No description available.

I love the Fage 2% with cherries, too!! I have to make a special trip to Whole Foods to get it, though.

When I crave something sweet, I like lemon pudding (worth the calories) or a root beer float popsicle. Not so healthy, but better than former choices!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #13  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Greek yogurt, all around! I mix the Fage 0% with a 1/2 tbsp of plain cocoa (no sugar) and a drop of vanilla Stevia. Tastes like chocolate pudding! Great for pairing with banana, strawberries, nuts, a sprinkle of cereal.

I second the pumpkin spread, too. I just mix a can of plain pumpkin with Stevia and pumpkin pie spice and keep it in a container ready to use. One tbsp is only about 7 cals!

Let's see - I also use dip mix with plain lowfat yogurt for a veggie dip - 50 cals for 1/4 cup. Then there's Wasa crispbread with, well, anything.

I have to check out this almond cheese! I love cheese but have to limit it, even the lowfat versions. I use almond milk, and I can kind of imagine the cheese would be good. Where do you get that? And are the no-pudge brownies a recipe or a product?

I love this thread! Great ideas, guys.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

I keep hearing about edamame as a snack... It sounds yummy, but I've never seen it around! Is it in regular grocery stores or only places like Whole Foods? How do you say it (for if I have to ask someone about it!)? Ed-a-maim, Ee-dama-mee, ed-ah-maim-ee? Ah, the english language...
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Ed-a-mah-mey

I go to an ordinary grocery store and can find them in the frozen foods section. They're not bad, roasted up with spices.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote