Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 320/246/170

Height: 5'7

Default I am New and i need advice

my name is stephanie and i had weight loss surgery about 2 years ago. I did good and lost like almost 100lbs but i put 30lbs back on. I need some advice as what people are doing to help them stay on track, and a little advice of a good diet they have no problem sticking too? or what people are doing to lose weight....please i need some advice i would appreciate it

thanks
Stephanie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

Hey Stephanie,

I hate to be a downer, but if losing weight was easy, everybody would do it and there would be no fat people. Ditto with finding a diet that's easy to stick to . . .

For me, I don't need a "diet" . . . I need a different lifestyle. It's my lifestyle that got me fat. Dieting seems like a temporary solution to me.

I chose Weight Watchers because I can eat small amounts of whatever I want. I just count the points. Is it easy? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. BUT, it's something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

I also know to be healthy, I need to exercise.

That's my plan. Regular, vigorous exercise and a healthy eating plan that includes lean proteins, lots of veggies, healthy fats, and an occasional splurge.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Last edited by ggmugsy; 11-29-2007 at 05:06 PM.
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #3  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Default Some thoughts about new life food choices

Stephanie,

I am close to 2 years out. I have been at my current weight (+/- 5 pounds) for over a year now. Some things I'm doing is Not eating foods with refined sugars or that are fried. I don't drink anything carbonated or alcoholic. I think that I have not missed them for 2 years so why start bad habits again. I eat every 3-4 hours so I don't get overly hungry--this means 4 meals daily (8, 12, 3:30, 7 are the normal times I eat).

I count calories & protein now. My nutritionist said a good calorie count for me was about 1200 calories to maintain & it has worked so far. I also get in 70-90 grams of protein daily (Regular eating & supplements). I eat primarily meats (turkey, pork, seafood--not red meat), dairy products (cottage cheese mostly), vegetables & fruit. I rarely eat pasta, rice or bread (Maybe average 1 serving a week). I track everything I eat on my computer with "Weight By Date" program. I drink over a gallon of water, decaf coffee and decaf tea daily. I weigh 2-3 times a week. If I am up over a pound, I look back at my journal to see what I ate that caused it. I find it is usually something with high sodium content.

Daily supplements include 2 chewable Complete vitamins, 2 chewable calcium (1200 mg) 2 fish oil, 1 iron & weekly a B12 sublingual tab. I plan to keep up this routine, until it doesn't work--then I'll look for something different.

The last thing is NOT to think of your eating as a Diet--History tells me that I fail when I diet. Earlier this month, my sister (who is very critical about everything) said to me "You really stick to this diet, don't you?" My response was that I wasn't on a diet. I eat normal foods. She then said "You don't eat sugar!" I told her that if I was diabetic, I wouldn't eat sugar either. This conversation was after she served Fried Bacon, Ham & Eggs for breakfast with Carmel roll chaser and lunch was sandwiches with Apple & Pumpkin Pie.

You have to choose the eating plan that is right for you for the rest of your life. Good Luck.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #4  
Stephanie

thanks that sounds like i need to do it just have a routine i do everyday but not get bored with it and stuff like that. i am going to start doing that and i start excercising on monday and i will update you when i get progress

thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

thanks for posting all that info, loodie. after 5 years, i'm starting to gain - more than i want. and i've had to take a SERIOUS look at what's going on, and figure out a layer-by-layer plan. first thing was to up my protein with my morning 23 gram protein drink. that helps me keep the snacking down during the day.

next thing was to DRINK instead of EAT. near-zero calorie liquids instead of food. makes a huge difference.

the next hurdle will be the exercise one. it's been a huge battle, since the alzheimer's mom is failing and can't be left alone. i'm doing my best to leave work on time so that i can have at least a 30-minute walk every day, and a bit of weight training time at the gym a few evenings a week. i'm not there yet, but i'm working on it!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jiff You're amazing! I remember taking care of my gram, she didn't have alzheimers but she had her share of needs and it's very stressful! Remember yourself, you're worth it and deserve it!

Steph- During the week what works best for me eating the same or similar types of food. And prepackaged protein shakes mini cottage cheeses it makes the portion selection Wrote instead of having to eyeball sizes which can be misleading make sure to have protein at EVERY MEAL!!! I even sneak protein into my coffee!
and exercise Even if it's 15 minutes. . In the winter my body gets old and sore I'm doing 15 min WATP just to keep moving and keep in the habit of moving!
gotta run boss coming!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #7  
Stephanie

Default thanks

so i need to get some of that protien powder to put in my food? what kind do you use? well i am starting a low carb diet today so i will update ya'll and tell you how i am doing? but thanks very much for everything. just update me of what protien that you use.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

steph - you don't have to add protein powder to your food. some people add instant nonfat milk to things to up the protein. and some of us just drink the protein powder. i use nectar by syntrax, and either drink it mixed into water or mix it into FF/SF plain yogurt.

it's more that we have to figure out how to sneak in an extra couple of grams of protein in what amounts to a very calorie-limited diet. just post-op, we're not hungry at all, but we still have to hit our protein goals. so we snack on protein [like deli turkey rolled up with a bit of cheese or spread with a bit of hummus]. sprinkle chili with a bit of cheese. remember - we're eating not more than 1/2 cup of chili, and we're doing GREAT to get to that point!

bottom line, at the beginning, we're not eating more than a few tablespoons of food at a time, so we have to get the biggest nutritional bang possible in a very small space.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Right now I'm using atkins premade shakes. I have unjury being delivered to my house so when I try that I'll let you know. I have tried Aria Protien its pretty good if you put it in something hot make sure its not boiling or the protien will curdle so hot but let it cool a few minutes
I will say I feel a lot better since going back to low carb and getting more protien I have more energy!!

I'm going to try to make a "hot chocolate' with the Unjury and see how it goes
Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

After I try the unjury I'm going to try the Nectar with some FF greek yogurt or cottage cheese
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

Kier - that 0% greek yogurt has totally become my best friend in the whole world! i drink my nectar before i leave the house, and after a couple of hours, mix some BOB'S RED MILL NAtural granola into the yogurt, with a little splenda and maybe a little fruit. YUMM YUMM YUMM!!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #12  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I use the " Rennie Plan ". Which means I don't do without a thing BUT I watch how much I eat. I have general amounts of things I allow myself and can go over or under a bit. 1200 to 1400 calories, 30 to 35 fat, 180 to 210 carbs. When I first started this journey to a more healthy and thinner person I only worried about lowering my fat and portion sizes. Once I got those under control ( I love fit day it makes it all so much fun, thank you to who ever it was on this site that told me about Fit day ) I started watching calories and carbs and protein, never thought I would do this. It isn't hard and it isn't work, for me it is fun to decide what I am going to eat and what else I can eat because of what I have already had. Tend to plan out the next day the night before. I make sure I get the required amounts of the four basic food groups in every day. If I want to have this then I can't have that today. Its all about balance. I have my mountain dew time at least once a week. There are a few things I have changed. I eat tuna in water now and not in oil. I stopped eating Hellman's and switched to Hellman's light. Just little things make a big difference. I love that I have found Schwables light bread. Just by looking at labels and making better choices there are just tons of foods that can be eaten, heck I eat from the time I get up until I go to bed most nights.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #13  
Stephanie

ok i will try that i did start a low carb diet yesterday and i am really actually liking it. i like how the hunger goes away, and it stays like that. i have lost 2 lbs already from yesterday so that keeps me motivated. since my surgery i was eating bread not alot but a little(what i could get down) and i am telling you everytime i did eat it, i just saw myself like i did before my surgery, whenever u get a downer i look at my old pictures before my surgery and that gets me motivated too. i kept telling myself i am never going to be like that again it was digusting that i let myself get that way. when i look in the mirror though i still see myself that way, i feel like i have not done anything. i think that is why i get so depressed because i feel like i have failed. whenever people come up to me and say you look so good, i am just thinking to myself what are they talking about. i am going to keep myself motivated though i CANNOT and WONT let myself get to my starting weight again. So with everyones support it is helping me too!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #14  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Stephanie
I will give you all the support I can. I could never do low carb lol I like mountain dew to much and fruits. If you can do this, make sure you are getting enough carbs in the body needs them, I think this is great. We never fail when we try. Sometimes it takes time, one baby step at a time is how it works. We are not working toward a magic number on the scale or a magic size of clothes we can fit into. We are on a journey to a more healthy body. In the process we are taking off weight and becoming the thinner person we want to be.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-04-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #15  
Stephanie

well since i have been on a low-carb diet since monday 12-3 i have lost a total of 8lbs i am very proud of myself and it is so easy for me, i mean ya i have my days where i want some chips but i just look back at my pictures. so i going to keep doing it to reach my goal level!!!!!!