Weight Loss Support - Life Is Gym ! A new trend...

View Full Version : Life Is Gym ! A new trend...

Hermit Girl
11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
There are SO MANY ways to do it too, you don't need to join a gym. I love the LIFE IS GYM philosophy, and the sooner we implement it, the better off we'll be. Let us count the ways. Here's a classic , for starters :

>> Park as far away from the store, in the furthest parking lot spot (with the most shade, guaranteed!) and push that cart another 500 feet in addition to walking it. <<

This is a big one, but my Super Goal :

>> Throw my bike in the back of my SUV and park on the outskirts of the shopping plaza, say 1 mile away (to start) , and ride in. Not only will I burn extra calories getting my bicycle in/out of the car, and riding, but I'll dodge a lot of traffic, set a great example for riding as alternative transportation, and who knows, save gas (every little bit helps) ... and... I might love it so much that I'll park 2 miles away next time ! <<

Have some fun, rant under your breath "It's not the Easy way, but it's the Sure way/Cowgirl way/ Superwoman way" or something that helps you focus on your new motto.

Can we continue on this thread, listing ways we can count IN as members of the LIFE GYM ?

nylisa
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I often subsitute a walk for a shuttle bus ride. Last winter, when I slacked off exercising, I think doing this regularly was what kept me maintaining (instead of gaining). I wasn't getting "exercise", but I was getting at least 30 mins of cardio a day up by walking up & down hills.

Lovely
11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
I completely agree about parking farther away. It's not much, but every little bit right?

I'd like to add:

Taking the stairs whenever possible. Most multi-story buildings have built in "stair machines"!

CousinRockingChair
11-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Clean your bathroom/room/etc a couple of times a week, scrub everything, burn calories!

drake3272004
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I live in an apartment building that doesn't have an out-going box for the mail, so when there is no snow, I ride my bike to the post office to drop off my mail and since most times my kids are with we also stop off at the library which isn't too much farther.
When the kids are out of school for the summer, they get a bowling pass for the local bowling alley to use for one free game a day. We ride our bikes to go do that too!
Now that we have snow, we try to get out and play in it as often as possible.