Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:38 AM   #1  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Angry sweating profusely, humph

I have noticed that whenever I do intense-ish excercise [by that, I mean I get puffy and it's getting hard to hold a conversation] I turn into the reddest, most sweaty person ever. Nobody else gets sweaty hair, or red faces!

I dunno, I guess it means that I'm getting a nice workout, but I really noticed it when I was playing my social badminton this evening. I don't think I am quite that unfit... I run around like crazy and stuff while I'm playing Iiiiiiis it possible that something is wrong with me? Or am I just destined to the slightly embarrassing sweaty tomato look?
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It is just something that you are. I'm a sweat-when-I-exercise person - to the extreme. I also get tomato-red very easily.

I think you're just born with excessive sweatiness, personally...can't imagine any other reason why I'd sweat so much.

I also turn beet red whenever I get massages, almost as soon as the masseuse touches me. They always comment on it. I wonder if the two are related?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 AM   #3  
super geek

Well, the same thing happens to me- I also start falling asleep I hear myself snoring and wake up!! But yes, I do go all red with massages. It is nice to know that at least I'm not the only one!

So maybe they are related...
Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh I bet they are! We just get red easily.

The good news? The last masseuse I had told me it meant I had really good circulation! So we're not tomato-red heavy-sweaters....we have excellent circulatory systems.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 AM   #5  
super geek

Hehehehehe
I'm taking flax seed oil every morning- one of the benefits is aiding circulation... maybe it's not such a good idea >_<
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

For what it's worth, I'm a red-faced sweater too. I like it though. It's proof that I'm working hard enough.

I don't turn red when I get a massage though. But I do sweat while I'm teaching, even when I'm not hot. When I'm not exercising or teaching, I sweat hardly at all. It's weird.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #7  

So am I lol....they if you sweat that is good...it means your in better shape...Not sure about that lol but that is what I have read
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I don't turn red but I do sweat - a lot! On my cardio days I sweat so much my t-shirt is literally soaked - it's kind of gross but I just deal with it. I know I'm getting into great shape & heck, the sweat washes off.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #9  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Actually, I kind of like the sweat! It's like a confirmation, if i'm not sweating, i'm not working hard enough!!! In my opnion atleast.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I sweat like a pig and also get completely red in the face. Once, when I was running outdoors, a motorist actually stopped to ask me if I was okay--that's how bad it is. My sweating is so bad:
1) I leave a little trail of water drops behind me at the gym,
2) My hair is so wet it looks like I just stepped out of the shower, and
3) I have to wear dark pants when I work out (so the sweat doesn't show)because otherwise people might think I peed myself.

And I am in great shape, so it has nothing to do with being out of shape. Some of us just sweat a lot and and are prone to facial redness.

Annoyingly, I also sweat when I'm not working out. It's mostly a problem in the car. I get sweat marks in the creases of my pants. Sometimes I've gotten out of the car and realized my pants were soaking wet. It's bad enough that I've started using a deoderant cream from Kiehl's (which definitely helps) and sometimes point the air conditioning vents directly at my groin area.

I've always been a sweater. When we were in high school, my sister and I would go to a dance club on the weekends and we always left just drenched in sweat. (I remember the trick was to never touch our hair, which was shellacked in place with Aquanet and would turn into a sticky mess if touched).

When it's really warm, I have trouble blow-drying my hair because my head sweats so much my hair just keeps getting wet.

These days, with my body fat down around 22%, most of the time I am freezing cold. But when I'm not too cold, I'm sweating like a pig. There's no happy medium.

I don't think I turn red when I get a massage but I blush very easily. People comment on it all the time. I also get very flushed when I drink. I do frequently fall asleep when getting a massage. I consider it a sign of a good massage therapist if I am relaxed enough to fall asleep. Athough to be honest, I can fall asleep in about 30 seconds anywhere, anytime--including standing on the subway--so it's probably not that impressive that massages put me to sleep. Someone recently told me it's a side effect of having low blood pressure (which I have--it's in the acceptable range, but barely).

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 12-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #11  

my face goes so incredibly RED when i exercise,. i get so so embarrassed. its even making me not want to go to the gym because im so self conscious!!! no1 else at the gym seems to be going red, i hate it!
dusty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #12  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

My face gets all red and patchy when I exercise too. It looks like I'm having an allergic reaction to my own sweat!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hey, I get sweaty and red, too! I always have! Like mandalinn said, I think it is just something that you do and there is no real cause for it, nor is there a way to prevent it. And like Kim Renee, if I am not sweating, then I think I am probably not exercising hard enough.

I also blush easily, and my face turns red for a multitude of other reasons. I'm in decent shape - I could be in better shape - but I am much more in shape than most people - so it definitely has nothing to do with what kind of shape you are in.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 12-11-2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo :)
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I am a beet-faced person too. I actually mentioned it to the dr once, bc everyone (including dh) thinks I'm about to stroke out when I exercise (like the story about the motorist asking, yep, that would be like me!) She said it's just that we types have our blood vessels very close to the surface of our skin so that when they dilate via exercise, massage, whatever, it shows more and they rose up our skin. Same would be true for people who seem to blush alot and those who don't. Altho the blushing problem seems to have left me with age and wisdom - ain't nothing anyone can do or say to make me blush in my 40's. Eye roll - yes, blush - no. lol

Last edited by sportmom; 12-11-2007 at 12:07 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I don't go over red BUT I do sweat like I'm trying to break a drought!

I used to be a bit embarrassed by it but now I don't mind - I take it as a sign I've worked hard This morning I had to go to work briefly (I have a day off today) and I'd just been to the gym. WELL! I was absolutely soaked through on top and did their eyes ever pop out lol. The receptionist was like...err...is that really sweat?? Yep! Twas a great work out this morning! Was my grinning reply. Another fellow thought I'd been swimming hehe.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote