100 lb. Club - Warm, Comforting Foods

View Full Version : Warm, Comforting Foods

Lyn2007
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
In the summertime I found it pretty easy to lose weight because I craved cool, refreshing foods. I based my eating around things like watermelon, berries, iced green tea, cool salads, icy yogurt smoothies.

Now that it is COLD outside I have an aversion to those chilly foods!! Now I crave warm, comforting foods like heavy warm breads, potatoes, noodles, coffee, and warm cobblers. I need some ideas for warm comforting foods that I can base my healthy eating around!

So far I have:
hot teas
soups that are not cream based (darn it though, I love the creaminess of those types)... mostly veg or chicken or turkey soups now which get boring.
Baked sweet potatoes.

What else??

mandalinn82
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Soups are great! Have you tried making pureed veggie or bean soups? They mimic the creaminess of a good cream soup. Try sauteeing up some chopped leek, adding chicken broth and cubed butternut squash plus salt and pepper, and cook until the squash is tender - puree. It is super creamy with no cream!

Lyn2007
11-28-2007, 05:51 PM
I JUST bought a great big organic leek today! Thats a great idea, thank you!

Heather
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
baked sweet potatoes are my new favorite winter food!

hellokitty81668
11-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I hear you!! Over the summer I could eat berries, fresh fruit, but now the weather has me wishing for warm food.. Bean soups... black bean, white bean with pasta and spinach, Veggie chilli. I wish I could help more.. Today I had such a desire for Mac and cheese( home made), almost went out and bought some, bought a veggie eggplant dish instead ( 230 calories). cheryl

kasmin
11-28-2007, 06:04 PM
How about chili? Or cabbage rolls? Or even stir frys instead of salads?

Schmoodle
11-28-2007, 06:17 PM
I love the South Beach Taco Bake recipe, it's substantial comfort food for me. I make a lot of soups and recently made a cheesy roasted red pepper soup that was creamy and yummy. If that sounds good to you, I'll post the recipe - or I may have already put it in the veggies 101 thread. I still make creamy soups using canned evaporated skim milk. Bean soups and chili are hearty. I've got a killer Chicken Divan Recipe that's good winter food, also a South Beach Recipe. I think I posted that one in the chicken 101 thread. Eggplant parmigiana?

nelie
11-28-2007, 08:33 PM
One of my favorite, warm comforting winter treats is rice.

You can use brown rice or whatever rice you want but I would get about 1/2 cup rice covered with some unsweetened almond milk. Heat it up in the microwave. Sprinkle with cinnamon, add a couple walnuts and raisins if you like and then eat. If you want sweetness, you can add a sweetener as well.

mandalinn82
11-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Or what about an apple, cut in half and cored, baked with a topping of oats, a little brown sugar, and cinnamon? Baked apples are SO warm and comforting.

ttjab3
11-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I so agree with you on the summer being easy to drop weight!! In the summer I can drink tons of water, but not now ~ it's too cold so I don't crave the cold water like in summer. It is harder. Isn't that funny!! I never thought about that till you posted this post.
Now I am into drinking my warm coffee!! As far as other foods, um, good one. I agree with the chili being something that i crave and can eat lots of in the winter. Stay away from those fresh warm breads though!! They are addicting and you can't just eat a small piece!! LOL
Good luck to you on staying on track these cold winter months. We can do this!!
Take care,
God Bless,
Tari

RitzyFritz
11-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I love the South Beach Taco Bake recipe, it's substantial comfort food for me. I make a lot of soups and recently made a cheesy roasted red pepper soup that was creamy and yummy. If that sounds good to you, I'll post the recipe

I would LOVE these recipes!! Thanks so much!!

Look at you!!! So close to ONE-derland AND your Christmas Gift Goal!! You rock!!! :cheer: :woohoo:

Schmoodle
11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Ritzy! Here's the link to the Taco Bake:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38592
It's a very adaptable recipe, so it should be able to work for any program. I also add an extra layer of veggies in between the beans and meat layer, sauteed zucchini or spinach usually. Great for leftovers and freezes well.

Now I have to remember how I made the soup. I made it up as I went along, and it turned out great, now I can't believe I didn't write anything down! I think I can recreate it though. There are lots of recipes for roasted red pepper soup if you google it, but most have potatoes, which I didn't use, and I used evap skim milk for a creamy base and then stirred in some reduced fat cheese. I'll try and come up with it again.

RitzyFritz
11-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks, Ritzy! Here's the link to the Taco Bake:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38592
It's a very adaptable recipe, so it should be able to work for any program. I also add an extra layer of veggies in between the beans and meat layer, sauteed zucchini or spinach usually. Great for leftovers and freezes well.

Now I have to remember how I made the soup. I made it up as I went along, and it turned out great, now I can't believe I didn't write anything down! I think I can recreate it though. There are lots of recipes for roasted red pepper soup if you google it, but most have potatoes, which I didn't use, and I used evap skim milk for a creamy base and then stirred in some reduced fat cheese. I'll try and come up with it again.

Thanks a million! I cannot wait to try this. Mexican food is my family's fav! I definitely need to find that soup you are talking about. It sounds really good!

Thanks again!

Lyn2007
11-29-2007, 02:45 PM
The soups sound really good. Does anyone have a link to a site with good low cal or low fat soup recipes? Any good soup recipes, post em here!!

I am going to do some experimenting. I do need a GOOD vegetarian chili recipe, and maybe a healthy taco soup recipe. My kids like taco soup and chili.

mandalinn82
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
My white bean and sausage soup is quite yummy and filling - if you search for "magic white bean" it'll appear in one of the threads. Mmm, magic white bean soup.

Lyn2007
11-30-2007, 12:26 PM
That white bean soup sounds fantastic! I will be making that. Also I forgot about oatmeal! I love the stuff, all day anytime. Sometimes, last year, if I was REALLY having bad carb/cookie cravings (PMS) I would make whole grain oatmeal, add a spoonful of peanut butter, some vanilla and a bit of brown sugar and a splash of skim milk for a big "peanut butter oatmeal cookie" tasting oatmeal. Thanks for the reminder!

Sandi
11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I am a HUGE Chili fan, but now I think I have to make some Magic white bean soup!!! Mmmmm

cupcake84
11-30-2007, 01:00 PM
i LOVE veggie chili....nothing better than throwing everything in the crockpot in the morning and coming home to a delicious meal! I usually dip the 45 calorie weight watchers bread in it, its not as good as fresh warm bread, but it will have to do!

also oatmeal, the weight control stuff from quaker, cinnamon and brown sugar, sooo yummy and it will stick to your ribs

Lyn2007
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Let's have some more recipes and ideas!

I made chili last night. How about some creamed veggies recipes, or sweet potato/winter squash recipes?

Sheila53
12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Sweet Potato Puree

2 small sweet potatoes, cooked
1 Tbl. orange juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c golden raisins

Mash everything up together. I also like to grate some orange zest into the mix. Makes two servings

Charbar
12-01-2007, 08:43 PM
This may not be rich/warm.. but I think it's comforting :)

I have a lower cal/fat french toast.

I just use natural ovens bread (so super filling) - or any high fiber bread of choice.
egg whites (like better then eggs or something)
cinnamon
with s/f maple syrup.

when I need to be filled up - that does it.

Get n healthy
12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
The oatmeal with peanut butter sounds YUMMY. I love that...an ooie, gooie peanut butter cookie.

I am a cobbler fanatic and i have found that putting blueberries in my oatmeal, before i cook it, then stir it around with some light butter and a little splenda and it tastes just like a blueberry cobbler.

Schmoodle
12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
RitzyFritzy, I found the recipe for the Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Soup. I did write it down after all, on a scrap of paper in the kitchen drawer!

Heres what I did:
In a saucepan comine 2 wedges Laughing Cow Lite Cheese (any flavor desired), 1/2 can evaporated skim milk, 1 bouillon cube (veg or chicken), 1/2 cup water, a dash of red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (lowfat if desired), 4 cubes roasted red pepper puree. Heat until smooth and creamy.

Last fall I roasted a bunch of peppers, pureed and froze them in an ice cube tray. The 4 cubes is about the equivalent of 3 - 4 peppers. I'm sure the bottled peppers would work too, just puree them to desired consistency. This was so yummy we wanted to lick our bowls.

Can somebody post the link to the magic white bean soup recipe, please? When I do a search, this is the only thread that comes up. Thanks!:)

RitzyFritz
12-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Schmoodle!! Can't wait to try this!!

Lyn2007
11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Bumping this up for more ideas! I made roasted Delicata squash "fries" tonight and they really hit the spot. Anyone have some good soup recipes?

HotWings
11-03-2009, 08:15 PM
WOW.. some good stuff here. I think I will be trying the Taco Bake tomorrow night! The magic white bean soup sounds great also :yes:

If you have a slow cooker, you could try this one that I posted a few weeks ago:

Butternut Squash & Chicken w/gravy (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/recipes/183586-slow-cooker-chicken-butternut-squash-w-gravy.html)

girlonfire
11-04-2009, 05:27 AM
This might have been posted already, but lentils and endive hearts! Both are absolutely delicious warm, easy to cook, and you can make them however you wish. If you eat meat, through in some turkey or chicken and pronto! I satisfying, filling meal. For dessert, baked apples with a little bit of cinnamon.

thistoo
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
My favorite hearty winter soup recipe is pumpkin turkey chili:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-turkey-chili/detail.aspx

When I want to make life easy on myself, I break out the slow cooker and make chicken corn chili:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-and-Corn-Chili/Detail.aspx

wendyland
11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
We've been making shepherd's pie a lot lately. I got this recipe from Trader Joes. It's also easily adaptable.

1 lb lean ground beef (they used 80/20, but I buy leaner)
2 cans lentil soup w/ vegetables (I use Trander Joesn, but I think any hearty vegetable soup would do, just drain the juice off or use frozen veggies and seasoning)
And enough mashed potatoes to cover the top. When I'm in a hurry, I use bagged mashed potatoes.

-Brown the meat well
-dump the soup on top
-spread the mashed potatoes on top, I top with paprika
-bake in oven at 375 until bubbly and potatoes a little brown. I cook everything right in my cast iron so it's easy with little cleanup,

We usually get about 4 servings out of this.

Stella
11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
In the summertime I found it pretty easy to lose weight because I craved cool, refreshing foods.

I can fully empathize with you as I feel exactly the same!The cold season is coming and with it comes my longing for hot and more substantial things.

If I want a baked potato for lunch, I`ll have it but I swapped the mayo fillings for beans and cheese. Miso soup is an excellent low cal hot treat, although it`s high in salt.

mandalinn82
11-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Found it!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/99449-magic-white-bean-sausage-soup.html

MugCanDoIt
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Or what about an apple, cut in half and cored, baked with a topping of oats, a little brown sugar, and cinnamon? Baked apples are SO warm and comforting.

Oh this sounds wonderful! Would you put the oats and sugar/cinnamon on the apple the whole time or at the end?:o

cfmama
11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I have an AWESOME veggie, brown rice and turkey stock soup in the crockpot right now.

carrots, snap peas, radishes, onions, red peppers, garlic... 4 cups turkey stock, 4 cups water, 2 cups brown rice and a large can tomato sauce. Pepper, garlic and bay and we're good to go! It turns out thick... more like a stew. And only 168 calories per cup!

mandalinn82
11-05-2009, 08:15 PM
I do the whole time...makes it like an Apple Crisp, sort of.

valpal23
11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I make whole wheat oatmeal applesauce cookies and use splenda instead of white sugar. so yummy

recipe link; http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1282268-Healthy-Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies

PricklyPrincess
11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
These recipes sound amazing! I'd love to make some healthy casseroles and crockpot meals this winter. Yummmmm...

Lyn2007
11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Crockpot recipes... that's what I need too! Nice, warm, soothing crockpot dinners. Once a week one of my kids has dance until 6pm, and I would LOVE to have dinner in the crockpot ready to just dish up when we get home, with no prep! Anyone have ideas?

Lyn2007
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I am making a big pot of lentils tonight:

can of diced tomatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, thyme, white wine, broth... sounds so yummy, I will have a recipe and pic on my blog this week if it turns out good! But any lentils are a great winter dish.

losermom
11-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I have a lentil, barley & sausage soup in the crockpot right now along with oatmeal bread in the breadmaker (dangerous I know). But my family loves homemade bread.

Tibouchina
11-09-2009, 07:59 AM
I've been making avgolemono soup lately. It's from Greece and delicious. Pretty simple - just chicken stock, rice/orzo, lemon juice and egg. Savory and warm without being over the top. I'm going to start adding veggies in there too.

I like taco soup too sometimes. Easy also, especially with a crockpot. Just throw in canned tomatoes, all sorts of beans, hominy, and meat if desired. Add a packet or two of taco seasoning and enjoy about 6-8 hours later.

StellarGirl
11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you...but they have all sorts of delicious sauces that I use and for the most part are really low cal. My favorite easy and low cal dinners are diced up chicken simmered in some of their savory sauces. I'll usually serve it over a cup of brown rice. Even if you don't have a TJ, check out the grocery store for some sauces. You'll be suprised at how low-cal some of them are.
Some of my favorites from Trader Joes are:
Picatta simmer sauce
Caccatore simmer sauce
Marsala sauce
Masala Simmer sauce (indian and spicy...perfect for a winter day)
Enchilada sauce (spicy it up and add bell peppers and light cheese)

I also have a really good recipie for a slow cooker hearty chicken soup...let me know if you want it!

Lyn2007
11-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Sure Annie, I'd love the hearty chicken soup recipe! That sounds great!

I also thought of egg drop soup, which is SO quick and easy and about 100 cal for a bowl full. You just boil a cup of chicken stock, add a pinch of ginger and garlic (scallions if you have some), thicken with a bit of cornstarch and then pour in one beaten egg, slowly. So good!

jenhai
11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Schmoodle, I made the Roasted Red Pepper Soup tonight! It is WONDERFUL. I didn't put any cheese in it at all. I originally planned to put the laughing cow and the lf cheddar in it. But, no need to. It tastes like cheese is in it already. I purchased 3 red peppers roasted and steamed them to peel the skins, pureed them in the Magic Bullet. PEFECTO! I love you for sharing this recipe! So Simple and Delicious!