100 lb. Club - What do you put in your Tuna?

View Full Version : What do you put in your Tuna?

Sandi
11-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I like Tuna...with Mayo. I do use light mayo and 2 Tbsp is only 90 calories, but I worry about the fat. And really 90 calories could be an apple with my tuna, instead of in it. I don't like dry Tuna...anyone have any interesting ways of preparing it?

Jasmine31
11-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I recently tryed hummus!! I also mixed some salsa in with it.

CABunnyGirl
11-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Oooooo, salsa sounds great!

NotTheCheat
11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
I use a cilantro salad dressing from Trader Joe's that has 30 calories per 2 Tbsp. It was really hard for me to make this switch because before eating tuna was half about having the mayo.

nelie
11-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I used to make tuna with nonfat plain yogurt since it makes it creamy and is a bit healthier than mayo. I also used to put some mustard, chopped celery, chopped tomatoes, chopped pickles and some pepper.

Robin41
11-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I hate tuna, but when I make chicken salad, I use the reduced fat mayo that only has 20 calories a tablespoon. Really tastes pretty decent. It's got 2 grams of fat per tablespoon which I don't really worry about because I'm usually trying to get enough fat.

I like to put those little diced ortega chiles in the chicken. Not sure how that would taste in tuna but it's great in the chicken with a little salsa.

rockinrobin
11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
I put, well, more tuna in my tuna. Yeah, I eat it plain. I like it over a salad. This way the salad needs no dressing and the tuna needs no dressing either. I know that was zero help to you.

How about cutting back on the mayo? How about 1 TBSP instead of 2? Then maybe as you get used to it, you can try 1 tsp.

Or how about chopped onions and celery?

justaloozer
11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
What about 1 tblsp of mayo, and adding some lettuce and tomato!!!

hellokitty81668
11-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi,
I put red wine vinegar with lime and salt/pepper in it... Maybe you can find a ff salad dressing to put in it??
cheryl

Trazey34
11-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I use a smidgen of low fat mayo and a bigger squeeze of a mustard/horseradish blend and a little diced green APPLE! sounds weird but the crunch and little bit of sweet is wicked ;)

JayEll
11-28-2007, 11:16 AM
This isn't for everyone, but I like to add salsa to tuna to make it moister and also more zingy. I also buy those packages of spiced tuna with crackers--Bumble Bee makes them. I like the spicy thai chili and also the lemon pepper (which isn't hot).

Jay

mandalinn82
11-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Trader Joes makes an AWESOME Parmesan Ranch lowfat salad dressing - it only adds 25 calories and gives amazing zing and creaminess to the tuna.

Lovely
11-28-2007, 11:40 AM
For my tuna sandwiches I use:

Light mayo/light miracle whip (whichever one) and then Gulden's Mustard (but I'm sure whatever mustard works fine) or instead of the mustard (and I'm not sure this is better or anything, but I love the taste) some pickle relish. :D

quyana21
11-28-2007, 11:40 AM
How about using Dijonnaise? It only has 5 calories per teaspoon and 0 grams of fat.

Rosario
11-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I love my tuna with light mayo, lettuce, and corn.

My colombian bf eats his with mayo, ketchup, and hard boiled egg. It sounds weird, but it's really yummy.

Shy Moment
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Faerie
I knew we were sisters down inside lol. That is how I make my tuna.

Sandi
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
I do eat it in lettuce wraps or on a bed of lettuce. Even though I count calories, I am noticing that my fat intake is higher than I'd like it to be.

Dijonaise....hmmmmm. Never tried it.

Great ideas everyone. I never thought about Salsa - that might work too.

And next trip to Trader Joes - Parm Ranch for sure!

Lovely
11-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Faerie
I knew we were sisters down inside lol. That is how I make my tuna.

:D

ANOther
11-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I've lately been using 1% cottage cheese in my tuna, but I have tried mixing it with pasta sauce. Maybe next time I'll give salsa a go

Also I have a container of plain ff yogurt in the fridge, I can experiment with that too

NightengaleShane
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I use 2 tbsp of light mayo per can of tuna. I know it isn't the healthiest thing on earth (because 2 tbsp = 90 calories and those 90 calories COULD be used on something more nutritious) BUT tuna is so healthy and high in protein that (in MY mind ;)) its nutritional value counteracts that of the empty mayo calories.

I also eat it over a bed of lettuce and some tomatoes. Sometimes I'll eat it on tomatoes, sometimes on cucumbers, and sometimes on whole wheat bread. I like it best in a salad, though.

I'll have to try it with hummus.

I have tried it with nonfat plain yogurt, but it wasn't the same. It made me go "EUGH!" I like mayo :p

ChrissyBean
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
I still use mayo. I throw in dill pickle, too. Mmmm....

rockinrobin
11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Sandi, thanks for posting this!!!! So many great ideas. :T:T:T

lostchick
11-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Certainly alot of different ideas just plain tuna :) I can't wait to try some

I usually use LF Mayo or just add some spices or a little lemon juice.

I think I eat too much hummus already, if that is even possible, but I'm gonna try it in tuna next time.

Rosemund
11-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I put almost no mayo in my tuna. I have about a million variations on tuna salad using various combinations of the following:

green apples
yellow apples
pickle relish
cashews
almonds
olives
curry powder
onions
salsa
chopped pickles
celery
shredded carrots

Curry powder, onions, and olives go well together, as do fruit and nuts. None of it is particularly high-calorie, provided you don't overdo the nuts.

Yes, I probably eat more tuna than is good for me.

Beverlyjoy
11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I like mine with lite miracle whip and minced onion & celery and canned peas. It's how my mom made it when I was little...yum.

I like it with Kraft Lite Done Right Red Wine Vinegar and Oil dressing. That's good too.

Such good ideas!

ANOther
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
UK sources seem to like adding corn

LaurieDawn
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I like those packets of tuna from Starkist. Though I also like it straight out of the can, I like the lemon pepper and Teriyaki for a little variety. The Teriyaki adds some calories, but not too many, and I recently ate that instead of pizza at my parents' house. Having something that I really enjoy makes it seem like so much less deprivation.

zenor77
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
I use just a smidge of mayo and a lot of dijon mustard. Dh hates mayo and we usually split the can. I like to add capers and celery as well. Yum!

NESunshine
11-28-2007, 02:10 PM
hmmmm tuna.
I also like the starkist ones...specifically the lemon pepper.
I'm a freak and I have this horrible fear of mayo...all kinds. I think it's a texture thing...so I won't put it in anything or eat anything with it so i must improvise!

I'm a huge fan of dill pickles, diced tomatoes, shredded carrots, cucumbers, green peppers different types of salad dressing...I use real dressing or make my own mainly cause I only use a bit...I've never been a drencher. If I'm going to eat it I figure I'd rather have a taste of the good stuff than a full serving of the low fat stuff that's full of HFCS etc. Totally a personal preference i guess.

I also put it over salad, on lettuce beds etc. or mix it with the diced veggies and have it by itself or toss it in a wrap! If i turn it into some sort of wrap or sandwich i might even throw on a bit of lowfat cheese.

Totally love the salsa idea, I'm trying that next....hmmmm maybe a mexican style tuna with salsa and black beans etc. ?

nelie
11-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Ooo capers.

I do have to admit that I am not the biggest fish fan but I always loved tuna salad because of the saltiness of the dill relish (or chopped dill pickles) and the crunch of the celery and the tanginess of the mustard.

Since I'm not eating meat anymore, I went out and searched for a veggie tuna salad recipe and I found one, with tofu :)

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/salads/vegan-tuna-salad

(although I'd tweak it a bit but it gives me ideas)

Oh and here is another one with chickpeas instead of tofu, this is more my style
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/snacks/dolphin.html

zenor77
11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
The chickpea recipe looks yummy!

alinnell
11-28-2007, 02:21 PM
I use non-fat mayo (Kraft Free) with chopped celery and sometimes chopped egg. If the taste isn't quite right, I'll add a tiny bit of mustard. I've also once smooshed up an avocado in the plain tuna but you have to eat it right then or it'll turn brown (I don't know if adding lemon would overpower it all).

Sheila53
11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I also use FF mayo and add capers and chopped dill pickles, celery, and green onion plus a little garlic powder (because garlic makes everything better).

Schmoodle
11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Mayo is made with healthy fats, so I use the regular rather than light and just use as little as I can and still have it taste good. In the reduced fat or nonfat, they replace the fats with sugars, and so this is a no-no for South Beachers. I stretch it a little with yogurt too. And add plenty of chopped celery and onion to get some veggies in there too, and chopped pickles,yum.

Nori71
11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I like it with balsamic vinegarette dressing. A little adds tons of flavor. I add the other stuff as well - purple onion, garlic, chopped tomato...

TempleBody
11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
I say jazz up the tuna in other ways...lemon juice, salt pepper, dash of evo or plain yogurt.

Please don't shy away from the yogurt...yogurt makes a great substitute for sour cream, butter milk, etc in all sorts of dishes and recipes! I love it in my pancakes.

kasmin
11-29-2007, 03:50 AM
wow, such good ideas! I sure never thought of hummus, salsa, or capers! Man, I bet you chicks would make GREAT party or'dheurves (or however you spell that:o). One thing I find yummy in tuna is to use a little vinegar or pickle juice or even juice from a jar of banana peppers. (hot banana peppers chopped up into the tuna are good as well). Then when I add my fat free ranch dressing, I don't need as much ;)

tamaralynn
11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
chopped green onion, lemon juice and fresh dill (if I have it on hand... dried if I dont).

Yummy

I usually eat it on a salad :)

boaterswife
11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Chopped celery, chopped pickles and hard cooked egg...although now I use only the whites of the egg, and a tiny little bit of miracle whip. Sometimes I add a bit of pickle juice to stretch the mayo....YUM!

RockinRobin, like you DH eats it straight, nothing on it. I just can't go there!

Glory87
11-29-2007, 03:24 PM
I do use a tiny bit of light mayo (just enough to make it all glom together). I also add chopped red onion and chopped dill pickle. Mmmm tuna salad on toast with a sliced heirloom tomato!

I also love it with canned red salmon instead of tuna.

HarpoChicoGroucho
11-29-2007, 05:19 PM
I make a tuna patty -- I use a can of tuna, one egg white, 1/2 egg yolk, and about 5 or 6 crushed saltines (you can use other (healthier) crackers too -- but I've tried but I love them with the saltines) I also mix in either hot salt or seasoning salt and I fry it. I don't use any bread and eat it with spicy southwestern mustard. I used to eat them when I was a kid -- and it's the only thing I still eat from my childhood. I make them exactly the same way -- except I only use 1/2 of an egg yolk now :D

Dumplin
11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I like mine with malt vinegar and also another way I eat tuna is with a little ff thousand island dressing and then I dice a small onion up with some fresh ground pepper. I don't like tuna on bread so I use some type of ff cracker or some type of whole wheat cracker.

SuchAPrettyFace
11-30-2007, 12:29 AM
What Glory said--just enough lite mayo to get it to glom together, then I usually add a few shakes of Worcestershire, and some chopped water chestnuts. (because i love the crunch but can't STAND celery) Sheila is right, garlic makes everything better, so sometimes just a little lite mayo & garlic pepper.

Back when I didn't have to watch the salt I would add sliced green olive & their pimientos, but I can't do that now.

I found very low sodium tuna--I LOVE YOU STARKIST!!!