General chatter - Crocs Footwear: Love 'em or hate 'em?

melekalikimaka
11-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I just bought a new pair of Crocs last weekend. They are chocolate brown in color and the Mary Jane style. I LOVE THESE SHOES! They are really comfortable and I even walked around the flea market for 2 hours without a problem, and I have a bum knee! I just wanted to see what others thought of these shoes in general since they were introduced 5 years ago. I find people either love 'em or hate 'em. My BIL bought a pair while on the US mainland a few years ago and when he brought them home, I thought they were ugly as sin! He insisted they were comfortable, whatever! I said.... I wouldn't wear them :lol: Then my hubby bought me a pair of Athens slippers while we were on the Big Island 2 years ago and they were great on the boat, no worries about losing your footing. I don't wear them often, but I always do if I'm forced to go to sea :barf:

Do you own any? Which style and where do you wear them?

FlabulessPhyllis
11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
I think they are hideous and have heard they cause many foot injuries. To each his own though. if you love em work it out.

Lovestorun
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I think they are hideous and have heard they cause many foot injuries. To each his own though. if you love em work it out.

AGREE :o

meowee
11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
:love: . . . except in the rain . . . if you step in a puddle your feet get wet.

StillTryin
11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I think they are ugly, but I like them for around the house or to run quick outside, but not in public. And if you wear them without socks and your feet sweat OMG, they stink. (My sister has some that she wears ALWAYS without socks...BARF!)

MissGiggles
11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I have the sandals and they are comfy. Not sure if I will buy the mary janes though, I can't wear them at work.

alinnell
11-27-2007, 05:17 PM
I think they're ugly but I've heard they are the most comfortable shoe ever. The injuries are few but they made the news a few weeks back--like with anything you can get hurt if you're not paying attention. Anyway, I just don't like the colors so I doubt I'll buy any (although I am tempted to try them just to see if they REALLY are comfortable).

mandalinn82
11-27-2007, 05:18 PM
I agree that they are ugly, but comfortable. The injuries have come with little children getting them caught in things...the material seems to have a propensity for getting caught up in escalators. For adults, though, I don't think they are dangerous. Just UGLY.

nelie
11-27-2007, 05:27 PM
I think they are ugly and wouldn't wear myself. I tried on a pair of Mary Jane crocs that were $4 at the store (clearance) and uhh my feet looked like stuffed sausages in them. Not a very good look.

melekalikimaka
11-27-2007, 05:34 PM
:lol: Yeah, I totally agree that they're ugly, but they sort of grew on me. In my old age I go for comfort over style. As for the stinky feet, I think one's personal hygiene comes into play! :lol: I take care of my feet and use Melaleuca Sole to Soul foot spray before ever putting on any shoes.

losinitin07
11-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I wore mine to work when I worked in the nursing home as a call in I cannot count how many times I nearly fell or tripped ,one of my co -workers actually broke her foot a few weeks ago now they have banned the crocs at the nursing home and the hospital , the crocs for some strange reason seem to stick to the floor :shrug:, I really like them in the summer when I'm playing in the garden except when it is wet out not so comfortable then.

zenor77
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Funny, I don't find them comfortable. The nubs on the insoles irritate the soles of my feet. Plus, they make my feet look a lot wider then they are and trust me I don't need wider looking feet!

midwife
11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Love to wear them on-call. Baby goo comes off them very easily.

phantastica
11-27-2007, 07:00 PM
They are ugly as sin, and I agree that they make wide feet look even wider. They're like a budget version of Birkenstock clogs.

But I can walk for miles and miles in them and not get sore feet. They're extremely lightweight and you can sanitize them easily. I keep mine in my car for impromptu exercise opportunities.

LisaMarie71
11-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I think they're nightmarishly hideous and though people claim they're comfortable, they look to me like they would hurt. I'm not going to try them, though, because I can't put something that ugly on my person. Were I a single girl, a man in crocs would be completely undateable no matter what other fantastic attributes he might possess! :lol:

That said, I think everyone should rock whatever shoes they want to rock. People might think my shoes are hideous too.

Get n healthy
11-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I love them. I have heel spurs and NO MORE PAIN. I think amanda was right though, the injuries were associated with children and escalators. Although my kids both have some...they are GREAT yard shoes. They can get them as dirty as they want and i can just hose them off. So easy to clean up.

walking2lose
11-27-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't have any, but I want some! I think they're ugly, but in a birkenstock/comfort shoe kind of way. I teach and would not wear them to work (not professional or fashionable at all), but I'd love to wear them around the house and running errands. My mom and dad both wear them and love them. My 8 and 5 year old nieces love theirs - they have all the widgets (whatever they're called) and wear them to school. Also my 3 and 5 year old nephews have them - the 5 year old nephew asked for a pair for his b-day because he thought his sis's were so cool.

ANOther
11-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I have one pair which I mainly wear around the house as slippers, sometimes I've worn them while running quick errands and once last summer when I had outpatient surgery I wore them to the hospital. For long walks or workouts I stick with Tevas or right now I'm wearing L.L. Bean house brand, but YMMV

jaxjob
11-27-2007, 09:12 PM
My kids love them - and I like the washable aspect. I've not tried them - I live in my Birkenstocks in the summer, snow boots for winter. I do think they are great for playing in the yard - and I'm not paying Birkenstock prices for the kids when they'll outgrow them soon. They are not good where real support is needed - hiking etc. or where you need stability (i.e. them not to fall off) but for basic yard shoes they seem to fit the bill. I do think they're ugly though - especially if one wore them with socks. That seems like socks and sandals.

jtammy
11-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I think they're ugly, but I love wearing my one navy blue pair around the yard or for a quick run to the store. They're so easy to clean up, just hose them off and you're done. I'm sure they stink less when worn without socks than a pair of tennis shoes would. :)

glynne
11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I like them ~ don't mind the look :o. I wear mine around the house ~ easy to slip on and off as needed, and a quick trip to the store or the mail box. In the hot weather if it is raining, I'd rather wear them for a quick trip to the store because I don't want to ruin my leather shoes getting them wet.

They were in the news a couple months back ~ kids getting injured on escalators.

A lot of the nurses wear them at work. My hospital back in NC banned them ~ a lot of people were getting injuries while wearing them at work. They say they are comfortable, but I don't think I could last a 12 hour shift in them.

mom2fivesweeties
11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I guess I'm in the minority! I think they are really CUTE! :o
I would buy them if I could wear them but my feet can only wear good tennis shoes (walking shoes) or Lands End walkers. I wear orthotics and need a very supportive shoe. BUT if I ever get this darn weight off, I probably will buy them!
Lori

ANOther
11-27-2007, 10:38 PM
A lot of the nurses wear them at work.

Go figure: I bet nurses like Crocs (and the look-alike brands) because some models come in so many different bright colors that they can coordinate with their scrubs; Crocs have some "professional" and "hospital" models (without the vents, I can see where there would be concern about body fluids or chemicals getting into the vent holes) but those models only come in dark or neutral colors :?:

EZMONEY
11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
You will never catch me in them...Angie thinks they are ugly...I saw a man in them once...kinda grossed me out!

SoulBliss
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Why would a man in Crocs (or any other apparel) gross you out? :(

All the Nurses I know wear them. I want a pair and will probably get a pair (from my MIL's partner, who is a Nurse) for a holiday gift and if I don't I will buy myself a pair.

lointhecity
11-27-2007, 11:13 PM
hate them... they are so not my style. And I'm sure its just one of those trends that people will be laughing about in 15 years... They sure are comfortable... but... dont know, dont like them... :)

freiamaya
11-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Love the style, but have the first version from Lee Valley, which aren't as round and spoon-like at the toes. The Lee Valley ones are great for gardening, because when your feet get dirty you can just hose them down and keep going! I wear them t othe sotre, and out on errands, but that's about it.
Maya
:)

EZMONEY
11-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Not sure Soul but when Angie and I both saw him at a Denver airport we both went....ewwww....

edit ~ maybe it is because we usually picture them on little kids feet...not sure.

FrouFrou
11-28-2007, 03:20 AM
I think they are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen! And now they have to adorn them with shoe jewelry, yuck! Bows too! I would never buy them just for the fact that they are just ugly.

I agree...I saw a man wearing a pair and my first thought was "What the heck!" They were orange! Eeeewwww

I think they look cute on little girls, but for boys and grown ups???? JMHO

missingmyerica
11-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I think they are ugly too, but OMG .... they are sooo comfortable! I wear them and my birkenstocks around the house all the time. I can easily work a 12 hour shift in them, and no sore feet!:)

Pita09
11-28-2007, 08:21 AM
NO!! I have a huge passion for shoes. Cute shoes! Crocs are so ugly and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them. I only think they look cute on children under 6, and I do think they are suitable if you are a nurse and already wearing something bright with a silly print.

Jessie_777
12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Most of the nurses on my floor wear them, in fact a lot of people in the hospital do. I noticed they're come out with a rx line. I'm really thinking about getting the relief ones. Anyone tried them?

evilwomaniamshe
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Crocs are a fashion Don't in my eyes. But the sad part is I actually owned a pair about 5 years back. I bought them to wear to the pool and in my garden, but man do they get your feet dirty with all of those holes in them.

They were a fashion mistake from my past, and I can't even believe I am admitting I owned a pair. I truly think they are meant for gardeners and thats about it! When I see men or women wearing them now, I just cringe, kinda like wearing sandals with socks, that too is not politically correct in my eyes EVER!

shoupfamily
12-10-2007, 12:06 AM
This is a very interesting topic.

When I spent a month with my in-laws in Texas, apparently a trip to Payless was mandatory to get me, my husband, and the kids some. Even my 12 month old a little baby size 2! awww So, yes..... I wore them to death then threw them out when they died. Washington isn't really the right climate, they are no good for puddle jumping!!

A side note: I've seen 2 guys at church wearing them with their suit and ties (black ones), and I thought that was a little different. But.... whatever. I guess we don't go to church for shoe inspection. hehe

phantastica
12-10-2007, 01:08 AM
If you have feet problems or hard-to-fit feet, crocs can be a lifesaver.

leanmoomercows
12-10-2007, 02:49 AM
I agree and think they are ugly as sin. I always said I'd never buy a pair. I also said I'd never try a pair on, because they probably are comfortable and I'd have to buy them just because of that.

And of course, I did try a pair on one day. And they are amazingly comfortable. And I bought them. I think they're great. Especially in the warmer weather (the holes help me with circulation so my feet feel more cool). Definitely not the next hit on the runway, but I don't care much about fashion anyway. Plus, the pants I own are a little long on me, so they cover most of the shoe anyway. Most people don't even notice I have Crocs on.

And I have the the same dark brown, Mary Jane style that you own melekalikimaka! I thought they were the "cutest" of the Crocs. Plus, they are wide, and they may make my feet look wide, but I don't care. I like that I have room in them because of that.

But of course, to each his own. I hate high heels and stilettos while other women live by them everyday. I've got my Crocs and Sketchers sneakers that would probably repulse most "fashionable" people. Who cares, I like them. =]

Rhighlan86
12-10-2007, 09:26 AM
They are incredibly comfortable, but terribly ugly. The croc brand is trying to make them more fashionable though and I actually think the Mary-Janes are cute. I have a pair to wear down at the beach for getting in and out of the boat. The gripping really helps then

LindseyLouWho
12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
They are very comfortable, except for I can't get a pair to fit me right... all of them that I tried on were very, very wide (and I don't have narrow feet!). They'd slip on my feet and I didn't want to compensate by sacrificing length. *sigh* I guess it just wasn't meant to be... haha.

But yes, I think they're ugly. I'm pretty eccentric though so maybe I can get away with it? Yes? No? :p

Glory87
12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
I can't believe such a hideous shoe is so popular. Glad they are comfy, but I would never buy any to wear in public (maybe as a gardening shoe, maybe).

Jessie_777
12-11-2007, 02:04 AM
My husband can't believe I want to get a pair lol I plan on getting them for work only. Being on my feet all the time makes it hard to find the right shoes :( Any tried the relief style yet?

Koren Michelle
12-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Okay, I must admit I love these style of shoes. I have bought a pair of pink plastic flats that are completely flexible and bendable. A sort of offspring of the Croc but not as bulky. I ADORE them. I know that some people consider these a major fashion NO NO but schleping around campus all day has made me become soooooo not concerned with footwear.

lilybelle
12-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I think they are hideously ugly and would not wear a pair even out to check my mail. When I was working in a hospital I couldn't believe so many nurses and Dr.'s wore them.

I have to say that seeing little kids wear them is not as totally gross as seeing grown-ups wear them, especially men.

tjjsmom
12-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I am a nurse and I love them for work. I don't know about people wearing them elsewhere. My DH got my 3 year old twins a pair over the summer and they loved them.

poohshunny
12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I've never liked the looks of them but dd and my sis love them. My sis uses them for gardening and dd is a nurse. However, she doesn't wear them anymore to work after all the hubbub and, as she said, you can't run in them for a crash cart as well as tennis shoes.

Here's an article that caught my eye: http://jezebel.com/gossip/frightening-footwear/killer-crocs-the-summers-fugliest-shoes-banned-296699.php

After reading your posts, I've decided to give a pair a try as I'm having some horrid heel problems and maybe if I wore those around the house rather than my houseshoes. Even the Dr. prescribed supports for my shoes don't help when this heel flares up. Might as well give the crocs a try and I'll have a nice pair of easy-to-wash gardening shoes for next Spring if nothing else.

ETA - I found a pair at JCPenney last night on sale and bought them. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the off-brands and the actual ones? I'm also thinking my sis got hers from a specialty company as they were recommended by her Dr. years ago before they became popular. I remember when I first saw them and thought how ugly they were! Now here I am wearing a pair.

Another link I just found about the Crocs Rx: http://online.wsj.com/public/article/PR-CO-20071113-902304.html?mod=crnews So, it appears there probably is definitely a difference.

ennay
12-13-2007, 12:09 PM
the ugliest thing since orange and green striped velour

but I still want a pair..I need a pair of sock friendly slip ons with support for post racing. Especially in the relay race I do where you have about 8 hours between runs and you dont want to wear the sweaty shoes all that time. And the alternative is birks which is $$ and with running socks---just as tacky!

(and yes...in oregon they DO wear socks with crocs )

poohshunny
12-13-2007, 05:41 PM
This post has helped me complete my Christmas shopping! I got both of dh's parents a pair from the website, plus a pair for dh and myself. I got the Relief CrocsRx for his mom and me. Bought the diabetic silver ones for he and his dad who are both diabetic. The silver particles in them are supposed to be anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. They cost a little more but I thought that might even be good for those who wear them w/o socks and the smell issue. His mom has worn the cheap ones before so I think she will like them. I also ordered dh a pair of the diabetic socks for his stocking to try out. Here's the site: http://www.crocsrx.com/ They have free shipping right now. I searched online but could not find any other current coupon offers. In the past, they've had 25% off and free shipping. Just my luck! I signed up for their emails so hopefully I'll get the coupons in the future if we really like these.

I've worn my cheap pair all day and my heel actually does seem to be better! My gosh, after all these years of despising them, I sound like a walking ad for crocs....

ShootingStar
12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
I have 6 pair (4 black, 1 red, 1 purple) and they are the ONLY thing I wear, even in the winter like it is now. I think they are rather hideous, but while at Disneyland las April I gave in to red ones with Mickey head holes. That did it. I wore a pair to work every day (on my feet 10 hours) and now that I'm on medical leave for a bum leg I wear them all the time. They're the only thing I can stand on my feet. They sit by my bed for the nightime bathroom trip and they are not slippery in the snow. You try to take my Crocs and you'll pull back a bloody stump.