Support Groups - Short Chicks

View Full Version : Short Chicks

Shay
11-25-2007, 10:37 AM
There are really a lot of short "chicks" on this website. I love that because we as short chicks have problems that are unique to us. Five pounds look like 15. I tell people I need to lose 100 lbs and they are like what??!! You would weigh nothing. Hello I'm 4'11"! I can also say that could be a testament to me carrying my weight well despite my height. When I weighed 150 my friends were mad because I was fitting into size 8. So if you are a short chick come join me on this journey.

Shay
11-25-2007, 10:43 AM
First of all, do you like the thread name? I was thinking of "Petite Chicks" instead?

Question? How did you determine your goal wt? I used the BMI calculator from NIH. To have a normal BMI I can weigh bw 92-123. I don't know about 92 but I am very comfortable with 120. I've noticed that some of the shorties that have made goal have gone even lower than their originally set goal. Can some of you speak to that? Did you reach goal and wasn't happy?

MissGiggles
11-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I am 4'11 so I agree with you on the ten pounds thing, that is like a pant size sometimes.

I am not at goal yet. I haven't decided the actual weight.. probably between 115 and 105. (the 105 I highly doubt right now.). Right now I am 127 ish? . Don't want to gain any more since it is all around my middle.

My lowest was 95 but I was probably 19. I am 30 now. Not gonna happen. My coworkers thought I weighed 85 pounds, and I was like, you are way wrong.

Susan M
11-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Thats so true about being short and looking like amost double the amount of weight to lose. I'm 5'1 weighting 170 would like to be 135 but looks like I weigh alot more ,when I look in the mirror I still look pregnant, my baby is 4 months. It would be nice to lose it fast but thats not the case, some people are so lucky have a baby and look great right away.

Shay
11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi MissGiggles and Susan M!

It amazes me how many short women are on this website. I was just reading another thread and there were two women that are 4'11" too. I was mentioning in another thread about Countess Vaughn on Celebrity Fit Club a few seasons back. She weighed 130 and looked sooo FAT. Lack of height will do that to you.

Mermom
11-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Okay, first I have to admit that I am not 5 foot like my profile says. I am really only maybe 4'11 but that might be pushing it a bit. For years I have been in the habit of replying to people when they ask how tall I am that I am 5 foot. It's such a habit that I don't really think about it any more but now you all know the truth.

That being said, my lowest weight ever -- when I was 21 was 85 pounds. I am nearly 50 now and know I will never even be close to that.

I wonder if short chicks --- especially short old chicks have a harder time losing. I can tell you that it really has been a struggle for me. I can consume 12-1400 calories and be very active and not lose a pound for months.

Also, I really think that on a short body every pound is much more visible. There is just no where to hang those pounds.

Also, there is the problem finding clothes that fit. There is so little space between my bust and my waist that I can't even wear stuff that taller women wear because the waist of the skirt or pants comes half way up my middle.

The other day one of my students asked me why I don't wear skirts. I had to tell her that it is because skirts make me look like a fire hydrant with shoes. Sadly, this is the truth because my calves are so muscular that I really do look just like a fire hydrant:o

gonzo walker
11-25-2007, 01:47 PM
"Fire hydrant with shoes??" I LOVE that! I'm new to this site, but I think I found the thread for me!

I'm 5'3" so maybe I'm a bit taller that some of the other ladies using this site, but in "real life" I'm a shorty - one of the teachers at my school is 6'1". I had cancer a couple of years ago, and all my hair fell out. My son nicknamed me "Speed Bump" and it took hold at work - tickled me because you get your yucks where and how you can.

I can relate to the clothes that don't fit gripe. I always feel like a little girl dressed in her mom's clothes. Get frustrated over fashions designed for 5'8" size nothings (how will teen girls reproduce?? They have no hips!). Do ya'll have any suggestions?? Obviously, WalMart and Tar-jhay may not be the best places to shop!

Best wishes on the diets, ladies:cheer2::cheer2:

Grazer
11-25-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm definitely at home here!! I say that I'm 5"2 but probabley a bit shorter. I have the same experiences with the extra weight and clothes. My problem is that because of my shape to get something to fit right in the waist and hip it looks like balloons on my legs. If I buy something that fits in the legs then I have a serious case of muffin top to deal with. I think my lowest weight was around 135- lost a pile due to stress and couldn't maintain it. My goal now is to be around 150.

Shay
11-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi Mermom, Gonzo Walker, and Grazer!

Mermom--I'm proud of my height for some reason. Who knows why?? If I wear any skirts they are really short (when I was smaller and younger) or really long. I guess I can't make up my mind show 'em or hide 'em. I am having a harder time losing wt this time around but I figure my body is just pissed off--I'm 35.

Gonzo Walker--My best luck has been at Kohl's. I've gone there and have gotten a million pairs of plus petite capris. And they actually look like capris on me.

Grazer--Same issues here. Kohl's works the best for me. I haven't been there in awhile so I don't know how great they are now. They have always been my no fail store.

sockmonkey70
11-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Do I count as a shortie?

Mermom
11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
According to several web sites the average American woman is 5' 3.8 inches and weighs about 165 pounds.

Shay
11-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Sure you are a shortie Sockmonkey70. Not like there is a definition--maybe there is and I don't know about it-- but I think of anyone 5'5" and under as short.

sockmonkey70
11-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I am more like 5'2" 1/2, but for BMI tracking purposes I like to put 5'3" because I really am one of those people with a large bone structure LOL.

I can definately relate to 5 pounds looking more like 10 or 15 :)

MissGiggles
11-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I would think anyone 5'3 or 5'4 as short or petite. Since petites generally are sized for 5'4 and under. Maybe 5'5 depending on how long your legs are.

glynne
11-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi

Another short one here. I used to be 5'2, but gravity (probably all those extra pounds pulling down on my spine) has taken its toll ~ now they tell me at the dr I am 5' 1/2"

I can identify with the problems some of you have mentioned. Hard to find clothes that fit. I like the capris, but they look like regular pants on me.

I will have to look at things at Kohls as likenoother has suggested. I have had some luck finding things at Fashion Bug Plus.

Take care all

Karen31
11-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi There--- another short one here! I've always been just barely 5' and I know what it is like finding clothes.. A nightmare! My young sister ended up buying her Wedding Dress in a Childrens store and they asked her if she was going to her Jr. High Prom!! It is funny now and we laugh about it but years ago it wasn't funny!!

Shay
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi glynne and Karen31!

Karen31--I don't know how long "years ago" was but here's hoping when I get married--I haven't lost hope--I won't have as much difficulty finding a dress.

glynne--I normally wear cropped pants as regular pants. Everyone I tell that get a kick out of it. Sometimes I find it funny and sometimes I don't because when I really need them I can't find them. I guess I need to plan more appropriately for shopping. The plus petite capris are the correct length for me at 4'11". I find that extremely important because I've tried on other petite capris or even petite pants they are still way too long.

Shy Moment
11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
I never thought of myself as short. I am just small. Not so very long ago my weight went with my height. I find most petites are to short for me and show my socks. Very hard when you have long legs but aren't very tall. On the other hand Capri's are always to long. Have to find pants just just below the knee and they are great Capri's on me.

Mermom
I think I just read somewhere average American woman is 5 foot 4 1/2 inches and 185. Short I think is how you look at it. Not that many women are 5 foot 8 inches lol. Heck my hubby is a foot taller than I am, he says he loves it. Makes him feel so tall lol.

Mermom
11-25-2007, 08:24 PM
it's funny- I remember hearing years ago that the average American woman was 5'4. I guess average women aren't getting any taller.

To me 5'4 seems tall. If I were 5'4 I wouldn't have as many pounds to lose:dizzy:

Last summer I was shopping with a friend and we saw these shoes that had a nine inch heal. I tried them on as a joke. My friend said, "You don't need to lose weight, you just need to buy those shoes." LOL

Shay
11-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Shy Moment--It is really hard for me to think of myself as small with this amount of weight on me. But if I really think about it I am. My hands are ridicuously small. Everyone laughs at that.

Mermom--Everyone seems tall to me. My BF is 5'9" which I guess is supposed to be short for a man but goodness he just seems so tall to me.

Basically the average woman is overweight or obese depending on your source.

CountingDown
11-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Ooh, I love this thread! At 5'4" I feel "tall"! I so relate to what everyone says. I am so short-waisted, that nothing fits. I spent the weekend shortening the sleeves on every blazer/suit I bought at second-hand stores the past two weeks. Last weekend I hemmed pants. It helps, but the crotch still hangs ridiculously low on a couple pairs.
I love stores where petite selections abound, unfortunately, those stores are mostly out-of-town and fairly expensive. And - right now - I'm still planning on hitting my goal weight, so I don't want to buy many "new" things.

Mermom - I relate! DH is 5'7". He is tall to me!!!! Our sons are 5'11" and 6'4" though, so obviously there are some tall genes in our family trees!

gonzo walker
11-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Good morning, everybody! I must be the only one up. I've done my floor exercises and now I'm getting ready for work. Hate to go - we've been out since mid-afternoon last Wednesday. The kids will be awful!

Thanks for the Kohl's tip. Their regular prices are high, but the sales are great. I should go more often. I'd like to own a not-too-dressy dress, but everything I look at is either the wrap style or has tucks and pleats which makes me feel like a kid. Maybe the basic problem is I'm a jeans and T girl and don't really want to dress up.

How did ya'll do with the Thanksgiving feast? I had serious pie issues. Pie is, after all, nature's most perfect food.

Have a great day, all!

Shay
11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I actually had trouble getting to work today. I was in such denial. Luckily I make my own schedule and I do have comp time I can use.

Gonzo Walker--I don't understand the concept of a wrap dress. It is supposed to make everyone look good. I don't think so when you have a big fat belly standing out there for the world to see. Thanksgiving...lets not talk about it. I'm in denial about that too.

Mermom
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
That's what got me in this weight mess to begin with. How is it that we buy bigger and bigger clothes and don't realize we are getting really fat?

Also, I wonder if tall chicks look at our tickers and are able to to visualize just what an extra 40 pounds looks like on a short chick.

CountingDown
11-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I did really well for Thanksgiving. But I think it helps being a vegetarian. No one expects you to put together a traditional feast. Thus, I made mostly veggie dishes with carrot and spinach lasagna rolls being the most calorie-dense item.

I don't look good in wrap dresses at this weight. Goal weight - definitely. Now they are just awful. I am having a terrible time with the low-cut tops and dresses that are in abundance right now. I have to put a lacy tee under everything, just so I can wear it. When you are short, the neckline plunges even lower than on taller women.

Shay
11-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Mermom--I haven't bought clothes except for specific occasions in a long time. So I continue to wear what fits me over, over, and over again.

CountingDown--Well my problem goes beyond the shirts just hanging lower its the "sisters" fitting in a shirt and it not looking like a tent or inappropriate.

Sometimes bec of being short I feel like I need to get to an "impossible" weight to be considered "healthy". I may give up at 150. We will see how I feel when I get there.

sockmonkey70
11-27-2007, 01:19 AM
I may give up at 150. We will see how I feel when I get there.

I have had that same though cross my mind...LOL..But I don't know. I was 150 as a cheerleader and I was a biggest girl on the squad. I just looked chubby. I really would like to reach 140, but I just don't know if I can do it.

gonzo walker
11-27-2007, 06:17 AM
My problem with the wrap dresses is that A-I am very short waisted and B-have no equipment up top, so everything just sort of bunches up under my breast bone and shows way more...nothing...than anyone needs to see. I bought a "push up" bra so now I'm up to kind of an A-and-a-1/2 cup made up of loose skin from losing weight.

Ladies, don't give up on losing the weight if that's what you really want. For me, regular exercise is key. As long as I take my long, brisk walk each day, my diet and my weight pretty well take care of themselves. Except for the pumpkin pie.......I took care of the pie.......guess I better put on my sneaks and hit the road! Anyway, when I don't walk, my eating tends to be awful, and I cannot keep my weight down. Losing weight and keeping it off really are ongoing battles. I can't imagine what it must be like NOT to think about what I had to eat and what I'm going to eat, and feeling like a self-absorbed weakling pretty much constantly. OH, to be a man! :^:

Shay
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
SockMonkey70 & Gonzo Walker--I've been 150 before and I knew I still needed to lose weight. I've been 130 before, granted that was in high school, and I still looked chubby. I will continue on to my goal of 120, maybe lower, but I know I will have starts and stops along the way. Its just such a long journey sometimes you're just like I don't know...but I am pretty important :) so I should take care of myself.

Lekhika
11-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Hiya! I'm a fellow vertically challanged chick! I'm getting in maintenance mode but those last few pounds are just hanging on to dear life..so I keep plugging away..

I think perhaps I am in maintenance and refuse to admit it. *shrug*

Here's to commiserating with you guys.

Shay
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Lekhika--They say the last few are the hardest to get off.

melekalikimaka
11-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Hey fellow "shorties", I am 5'3" on the dot, nothing more, nothing less. I was reading this thread a few days ago but didn't have time to chime in. I had to chuckle when I read some of the comments regarding adding an inch or two when telling others what your height is--I would always say I was 5'4" tall. I have sister who is 5'2" and tells everyone she is 5'3" :lol:

I am also small busted and had a laugh about the A-and-a-half cup size, I so hear you on that one! :high: It's really difficult finding a bra with the correct band size with small enough cups that won't pucker or stick out too far in front with nothing in them :lol:

As far as my lowest "adult" weight, I weighed 132 lbs on my wedding day, then probably gained 30+ within 6 months, then another 30 within the next year. It was no shock to my hubby though, I was big when he met me and he's no string bean either. It's been upwards and downwards for me everyday since then, with my heighest weight being 233.6. You know, seeing it in print is quite shocking to me to see that I allowed myself to gain 100 lbs!!! :yikes: Fortunately I am on a downward trend again, and am just starting to feel a little better about myself when looking in the mirror.

One of my major gripes about buying clothing is that in petite cut clothing (jeans) I have to buy a size UP than I normally wear, and if I buy "short" cut jeans, they are about an 1" or 2" too long. I also buy capris and can sometimes get away with them being regular long pants, but most times they are like at ankle length. Where I live it's OK but sometimes I just want a normal-all-the-way-down-to-my-feet pair of jeans so my legs can look longer ya know? And it's really difficult finding womens sizes in petite lengths.... just a long list of things that are hard for us short, but wonderful women. I look forward to getting to know you all. :wave:

Shay
11-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Welcome Melekalikimaka! I see you are a Weight Watcher. Are you doing it at home or do you go to meetings? Are you doing core or flex? I am doing WW at home. I'm not an online member I get my stuff from e-bay and having been a member in the past I have some old & new stuff. I'm doing flex.

I figure clothes will always be a struggle because we may not always be overweight but we will always be short. I've been recommending Kohl's for petitie plus size and I'm hoping it still holds true because I haven't been there in awhile.

Karen31
11-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey Noelle,
Welcome to us Short Chicks! Congrats to you for doing so well with your WW. I guess I may just have to get serious about them again and see if I can get moving again! Look forward to seeing you around here. Take care.

Karen31
11-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey Shay, Thanks for the tips on Kohls. I will have to check them out when we get down to the Springs sometime. That is about an hour drive for me! But there isn't much up here where we are. Just finally got a Walmart last month!

Shay
11-30-2007, 08:11 AM
So I was thinking bc there are a lot of "short chicks" on this website what female celebrities are short too. I like to watch entertainment shows and read the magazines. Diversional for me and a form of escapism. Anyways so there is this website: www.CelebHeights.com and it has listed the heights of a lot celebrities. I only looked up women. Here is a small example of female stars that are 5'5" and under: Lindsay Lohan, Paula Abdul, Jennifer Aniston, Eva Longoria, Carmen Electra, Jada Pinkett Smith, Lil Kim.

I thought it was funny that I believe it was Jennifer Aniston was like 5'4 and 3/4 and Lil Kim, a rapper if you don't know who she is, is just a little bit above 4'9". Interesting.

melekalikimaka
11-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Good morning ladies :wave: Thanks for the welcome. Karen, glad I found you here :hug:

That website was very interesting. You know though, all those "short" celebs are REALLY thin so they look a lot taller than they really are--well, plus those high heels :lol:

Shay, I'm doing the WW flex plan and go to weekly meetings. I have done WW in the past and this is actually my 4th go 'round. I'm hoping it sticks this time, I do have the support of 3 of my sisters though, so I'm not doing it alone this time. I have tried to do it on my own, but it just doesn't work for me. I am a scale addict (weigh daily), and even though I know I shouldn't let it dictate how my day goes, sometimes it just does a number on my head :dizzy:. I have heard rumors swirling that WW is going to announce some "changes" very soon.... but that's what they said about the "turn around" plan and it's pretty much the same as the original flex.... I'll watch and wait.

I will look for a Kohl's while I am on the mainland. We don't have one here, nor a Dillards, nor a Target (yet!) or Ikea.... there are so many stores we don't have here in Hawaii that I just go nuts when I travel :lol:

Anyway, I'm having a sort of rough morning with the hubby, and actually had a WW Smart Ones dessert for breakfast--not too smart, but not as bad as I could be. Anyway, I'm calming down now so I should get right back into a normal eating routine. Hope everyone has a smooth sailing kind of day.

Shay
11-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Noelle,
This is actually my 3rd or 4th go around with WW too. It has been the most successful of all the diets I have tried. The menu planning and the points thing does get on my nerves after being on it for awhile. I do like the flexibility with the flex plan as opposed to core. I think it's too much to figure out if its core or not. Besides if I knew when to stop eating then I wouldn't be at the weight I am now.

Karen31
12-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi Ladies,
Noelle, I can feel for you with having a hard time with hubby--- Mine has been off of work for the last 7 months! He is just a year away from retirement but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet! Sure hope we get the house sold and moved back to MO. before long where I will have family around me to help me stay sane! ;)

CountingDown
12-01-2007, 09:54 AM
likenoother - I hear you, it is hard to find "fitted" shirts that don't make the girls look "prominent" and non-fitted shirts just make me look huge (or even pregnant).

Goal setting is so hard. Many of us were at our healthiest weight when we were much younger. While getting back down to 120 lbs (where I still felt chunky btw) is an unrealistic goal for me - or so I tell myself. I really think it is smart to set a higher goal now. When we get there, we can always re-evaluate and set another lower goal.
Not only is a higher goal more attainable, but it will be something we can celebrate. Success breeds success, and frustration breeds depression and backsliding - at least for me.
140 is a high number for my frame & height, but given my age and the fact that I am exercising regularly and actually developing some muscle tone, I think it might be a healthy weight for me. I'm feeling so much better at 169 than I did at 215, even THIS weight feels pretty healthy by comparison.

NoVaVTFan
12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone!! I saw this thread and couldn't resist - I'm a short chick at 4'11" (sometimes 4'11" 1/2 depending on which doctor I'm at), and I definitely agree that 5 pounds on a short person looks like 15 pounds on a "normal" height person. I have always been a bit chubby and can't remember every being skinny, even when I was very very little, so I don't even have a goal of what is considered the normal for people of my height (I think someone said from 92-123 pounds or something along those lines), but my ultimate goal is 130. I was 130 a few years ago in college, and while I still didn't look skinny by any means, I liked the way I looked. I'd really just like to get more fit and get more muscle and less of this flab on my stomach, butt, and thighs. My highest weight was in April of this year at 187 pounds, and I really looked awful - I had no waist, and looked really stumpy. I'm around 147 right now (been going up and down around this the past few weeks) and I definitely feel that I look a lot better - I do have a waist again and a little less flab than at 187. Unfortunately, this last weight gain left a lot of extra flab around my midsection than I've ever had before but I'm working with cardio and some weights to get it off slowly but surely. I really know that I should probably try and get down to 120, but I felt happy at 130 before, so thats what I'm shooting for by October 2008. If I get there and don't feel happy, I might keep going but I'll just have to see.

On the clothes issue - I find it extremely hard to find clothes that really fit me. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but when I used to by petite or short pants, they used to fit me length wise fine. But lately I've been buying a lot of new pants as my sizes have gone down, and I find that the petite or short sizes are too long on me. Most are made for people up to 5'4" which is 4 inches taller than I am, so they are too long. I have basically come up with two choices for myself - once I get to my goal weight and decide to maintain, I will buy new pants for the last time and get them tailored professionaly, or I may splurge and buy my work pants from Lands End - like men's pants, you can choose what you want your inseam to be so I can actually get pants made for me are the right length. It is a bit more expensive, but is nice to have the pants fit. I usually don't care so much with jeans because I don't mind rolling up the cuff a bit, but it just doesn't look good with professional work pants.

I find it frustrating sometimes when I hear people who are 5'6" or above and they are 150-160 pounds and wearing a size 4 or 6 in pants. I'm 4'11" 147 pounds, and still wearing a size 12 (the size 12 pants are getting a little big on me but I'm not sure I'm ready for a 10 yet). It is my dream to get into a single digit pant size because I really don't remember when I was a single digit pant size since middle school. I am going to work really hard to get there by the time I reach 130.

Shay
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Welcome NoVaVTFan! Although you and I are the same in height I think the way are bodies are structured are different. When I weighed 150 I could wear size 10 pants and 8's in skirts. When I was 180 I could wear size 12's. What's interesting is most of my weight is in my waist also. I definitely have a pair of jeans that I absolutely love that are petite but drag the ground a little bit. But as I said I was very fortunate to get about 7 pairs of capris from Kohl's a few years back that are actually capris on me. They range between 14, 16, and XL. The XL fit I just have make sure I wear a long shirt because they fit a bit tight across my tummy.

I'm still back and forth on my goal. Right now I will stick with 120.

teacher1
12-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone :0 Mind if I join in? I'm on the short side too. Out of high school I weighed 110. Then I slowly started gaining weight. I was at 130 when I finished college and started teaching. Then the pounds just kept packing on with grad school and work. I feel everyones pain what the shopping. It was no problem with I was skinny and short but now being chunky and short shopping is a nightmare. I look forward to chatting everyone :)

Shay
12-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi teacher1! Of course you can join in. Welcome.

gonzo walker
12-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi to Noelle and Karen!

Do we need to start a new thread? My husband was laid off in July, and hasn't gotten another job yet. This sounds like a trend. Like a friend said, it sucks canal water.

If you don't mind my asking, why are your husbands unemployed? Kent's position was eliminated - the company got caught up in the subprime lending upheaval. He hasn't gotten another job yet, we think, for several reasons: in spite of years of experience, he doesn't have a 4-year degree, and he's 55, so we think prospective employers don't want to invest too much in training "an old guy." So, in between posting resumes and following up leads, he's studying for various certifications, and has decided that once he's employed he may pursue a degree part-time.

Like I said, canal water.

Connie

Karen31
12-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi Connie! Tim was in the building industry and when he went in to work on April 23rd the boss called him upstairs to his office and said, "We don't need you anymore! Here is a check for your wages and the vacation pay you have coming." And that was that. He went back down to his office and packed his personal things and was back home by 10:00 in the morning! So far he has been drawing unemployment but that will be coming to an end the middle of this month. He was with that company 15 years! And like your hubby, he doesn't have a degree, some college background and lots of experience but not happenng around here for a 61 year old. That is another reason why we have our house and our 5th wheel RV up for sale and are looking forward to moving back to MO. where the cost of living is so much less. These Rocky Mountains are BEAUTIFUL but you sure can't eat them and they don't pay your bills!

glynne
12-02-2007, 04:27 AM
I'm sort of in the same boat as Connie and Karen with husband soon to be out of work. His company told him they were eliminating his position (he is 55). He had planned to sort of take a break at this time ~ he has worked for so long ~ horrible long hours ~ he deserves a break. He talks that he might try to find something again after a break, but I wonder if that will be possible at his age. He felt bad, because after all was said and done, they had fibbed to him and hadn't eliminated his position at all, but gave it to someone else.

It will be a whole different kind of life having him around all the time now. Not sure ~ could be a good thing :?: Then again :dizzy: Time will tell.

Shay
12-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Gayle, Karen, Noelle, and Connie
I am so sorry to hear about the job situations with your husbands. Especially because they were all loyal to their companies. It seems that everyone has plans though. What a shame.

gonzo walker
12-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Good morning, ladies!

I've actually enjoyed to a degree Kent being at home. He and I have never really eaten the same way, and since he discovered the Food Network, he cooks for himself. Our 18 year old son falls in the middle between his dad's meat-based diet and my very low-fat plant one, so he grazes on both our cooking and gets the benefits of both. Plus, Kent has finally had the chance to indulge his hobbies and many interests - didn't have much time before. He's worked all his life - his dad owned a produce business and Kent worked for him growing up before getting a "real" job. And he has begun taking long daily walks while listening to his favorite NPR shows, which is good for his health. I do worry about our financial situation especially with college tuition to pay, but as much as anything, I worry about Kent's self-esteem. He's such a great guy and really smart - just doesn't have the formal education. If an employer would just give him a chance, they'd be happy they did.

Anyway, thanks for letting me unload. Ya'll have a great Monday!

Connie

gonzo walker
12-03-2007, 06:22 AM
P.S. I'm doing my snow dance. Could someone up north please send down some winter weather to central VA? Thanks!

Connie

the slim me
12-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi Everyone, I read about this thread on Golden Girls and cam over here to have a look. Mind If I join in? I qualify. I'm 5 feet nothing. I did read some of the other posts. I had to laugh. I've told everyone I was 5'1" forever. I agree, it's harder for us "verticall challenged" people to find clothes. Even the petite pants are designed to fit someone 5'3". So I have to cut those extra inches off. I have found that Gap has jeans that fit me and i don't have to cut. Levi's too. If you shop around enough you can find some. I just envy those people that can walk into a store and buy anything off the rack!!

I've read a lot of the post about the job losses too. Add us to the count. My husband lost his job some years ago too. He had a hard time with it, really became depressed. But he did find another job and we are doing well. Like some of the others, he didn't have a college degree, just some classes, and lots of experience. They want those college degree in there that know nothing and have few work ethics. I hope they get exactally what they deserve!

As for retirement....not too sure i'll do well. My husband is one of those people that can't sit still, has to be doing something all the time. And he has no hobbies. So he "helps me". I can only stand so much "help". I would hate to get divorced after 43 years, or worse yet, injure him. So we'll have to see how we make out when he retires, if he ever does.

Freda

shantroy
12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey Guys. I'm new around here and was hoping I could join. I think I'm qualified shortie. I'm 5'2" on a good day. I'm proud of my (lack) of height. Us shorties never halfta worry about being taller than a guy, even when wearing heels.

Like most shot people I find it hard to find clothes. I have a long torso and itty bitty little legs. When I was at my lowest weight (about 118lbs) I could shop in the kids department. GAP kids was awesome! I could buy basics (plain t's and jeans) at half the price. Now however, I visit the seamstress on a regular basis.

Gonzo walker, you can have the snow from up hear in Canada. It's really snowy and cold (it's approx -11F here with the wind chill). You're welcome too it!

Shay
12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Welcome the slim me & shantroy! As I've said before there are a lot of shorties on this website.

Gonzo walker--I live north of you in Arlington and I'm hoping for snow. I'm sure it is coming any time soon.

Slim me--I forgot about Levis! You're right I have a few pair of Levi's from when I was smaller that fit great.

Slim me & Shantroy--I will have to check the GAP out.

I'm wearing cropped pants I got from Dress Barn as regular pants today.

I thought it might be fun to start a don't you hate it when....I will start

Don't you hate it when....its a really sunny day but because you are so short your visor in your car does absolutely nada for you!

Karen31
12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I like this!!!

Don't you hate it when..... the shoulder seat belt "chokes" you!!

skinnyvibes
12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi there, I am new to this site and I saw this thread, and thought "just for me". I would love to chat with you ladies. I am 5' nuttin. Right now I weigh 188. Not sure what my ultimate goal is going to be, but right now I am shooting for 123. I have always been overweight. So I have never had a skinny time in my life.
Kari

Shay
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Karen--LOL! Oh so true.

Welcome skinnyvibes!

Don't you hate it when....the very thing you want at the grocery store is on the very top shelf at the back.

gonzo walker
12-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Hiddee, all! Thanks for the offers of snow, ya'll. Just came in from a walk and I'm froze to the bone. My thinking is, if it's gonna be this dang cold, might as well get some white stuff with it. Here's hoping.

Here's a helpful hint: wear your old quad skates while you dust. They'll add several inches to your reach, and keep the cats out from under foot. My cats totally freak when I put the skates on.

Keep warm!

Connie

skinnyvibes
12-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome Shay. Connie~ that is funny! But just might be worth a try! :)
Kari

skinnyvibes
12-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Ok I tried to add a ticker, I just want to see if I did it correctly.
Kari

CountingDown
12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Don't you hate it when the tallest person in the theater has the seat in front of you?

Mermom
12-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey teacher I'm a teacher too. I teach high school history and English. What about you?

Don't you hate it when people ask you how tall you are?

Shay
12-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Good morning everyone,
Gonzo Walker--They are calling for 1-2 inches of snow on Wednesday! Not much but a start.

Counting Down--Doesn't that always happen?

Don't you hate it when....you're sitting all the way back in a chair and your feet don't touch the ground

the slim me
12-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi all, This may not be for everyone, but.......Don't you hate it when you choose which car to buy, by how high you sit in the seat and can see out the window?

Shay
12-04-2007, 01:07 PM
The slim me that is funny!

How about don't you hate it when... someone (really tall) pats your head like you're a pet or something.

melekalikimaka
12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Good morning ladies, only 4 more days til the weekend :dizzy:

Countingdown, I wanted to comment and congratulate you on your weight loss success 48 lbs is great progress!!! :cp: I am an inch shorter than you and I remember at 173 I felt positively thin (compared to the 230s! :lol: ). Recognizing we are works in progress, it does take effort and diligence to maintain our weight losses and not gain everything back, so even if we only lose very small amounts every week or even every month, it is a step forward. You totally make sense about setting attainable goals and readjusting them when needed.

Karen, I have to say you have done wonderfully with your losses as well. I always say keeping it off is more than half the battle. Have you had any more prospective buyers come and look at the house? I can't imagine anyone not wanting to buy it, it is beautiful and has so much land. I guess it's a buyers market right now though huh? I love your dog ticker, it's so cute and fitting for you :)

Shay, I hear you on Core--the "eat until you're satisfied" part always gets a big HA! out of me. I mean, come on, if I knew when to stop, I wouldn't be at WW would I? :lol: I like Flex because yes, it does work when you work it. I think the thing that most bugs me is the food journaling, but it's a necessary evil for me. If I don't write it, I forget I ate it, then I think I have more points than I actually do, which is wrong wrong wrong...... so even if I don't want to admit that I ate something worth a gazillion points, I write it anyway. It's all about accountability right?

Well, you ladies have a great day. Hope you're having better weather than I am...it's been rain-stormy and windy with more to come. That's our Hawaii winter though. Have a good one!

teacher1
12-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Mermom-
I teach special ed K-2.
I used to hate it when I subbed in middle school and teachers would mistake me for a student. That was back in the day when I was around 120lb.

gonzo walker
12-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Good morning, all, and a special HOO-RAH to you teachers! I am an elementary school principal's secretary. Just want you to know that I admire and respect you all hugely, but I do not envy you! Teachers have to be all things to all people, and the pay is a joke. The only teachers I work with who don't have a second job are the married ones. And then there are the parents who believe you got into teaching so you can have the summers off!! We try to explain the concepts of mandatory staff development and relicensure, but all they can see is an empty teacher parking lot in warm weather. There's a special place in heaven for you guys. Teachers ROCK!! :carrot:

Have a good one!

Connie

call me e
12-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Another shortie here- mind if I join? I can so relate to the problems of finding clothes that fit!
And not being able to reach things on the top shelf- especially when shopping. Does anybody else grab another item and try to "knock" things down or is it just me? I hate having to ask for help, so if I can't get what I want off the top shelf that way, I figure it wasn't meant to be.

Here's one of my pet peeve's- maybe some of you can relate. I have short legs (my inseam is 25/26 inches) and, therefore, a short stride. When I walk with taller people, I have to walk much faster to keep up or they have to slow down. I just takes more steps for me to cover the same amount of ground as taller people. Right now my main exercise regime is walking, and it takes forever to walk a mile, even when I'm pushing it.
Years ago in college I had to take a gym class. It wasn't bad; we could do whatever physical activity we wanted as long as we remained active and we had to record our activities, heart rates, etc. on sheets that we turned in at the end of class. One of my classmates and I would walk around the track, and I'm not talking a leisurely stroll. We were moving. If I would have gone any faster, I would have been jogging. Anywho, one time the teacher commented on the sheet that my distance/speed was too slow! I was so irritated! Granted, she didn't know me from Adam- all she saw was that I was walking slower than I "should" be. I seriously doubt I could walk a mile in 15 minutes or less if I was 100 pounds lighter and in peak condition. Jogging, sure, but walking? Not likely!
I guess I just chafe at being forced to fit into a mold that was never meant for me.
Okay, that's enough ranting. :)
- Erin

Karen31
12-05-2007, 11:39 AM
:welcome: Welcome Erin! I totally agree with you! I too have "short legs" and find it hard to do a mile in 15 minutes. I have also been with people that can't understand why I can't keep up with them walking. I have finally just told myself that is the way it is. My DH isn't all that tall but he has long legs and a very long stride. But a couple bouts with pnumonia and bronchitis have left his lungs in a shape where I walk faster and he gripes at me to slow down! Not a good way to walk faster than him but still the shoe is on the other foot! His health is another reason why we have our home for sale and going to move to a lower altitude.

And I hate it when the things I want are way up on the top shelf at the store! But I have to laugh --- the store manager where I shop isnt' very tall either and when he sees me trying to get something he will always say let "ME" help you--- and calls someone!!

Don't you hate it when.... you haveto pay full price for a pair of pants that you are going to have to cut "half" the legs off to hem up!!! ;)

Mermom
12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
The comment about the grocery store really made me laugh! I have been known to move things on the bottom shelf so I can step up and reach sometime on top. This doesn't always work though so often I have to ask a stranger:p
At home I use a wooden spoon with a long handle to bat things down from the top cupboard so I down have to drag a chair over. Of course then I have to catch whatever it is before it falls and breaks.

I have started to buy pants from the thrift store so that I don't feel so bad when I have to cut half the leg off. That way too if I mess up while sewing I am only out a few dollars.

The walking thing is always a challenge. I have a 25/26 inseam as well. I have had to train people to slow down if they want to walk with me although I still end up walking a few paces behind.

How about this one ---don't you hate it when you are ignored while shopping and can never get service because all those tall people are so much more visible? Or...do you ever go in stores in the mall and get lost because the displays of clothes racks are so high and so dense that you can't see where you are going? Or your friend you are shopping with loses you in the store because even though she is taller she can't see you?:dizzy:

CountingDown
12-05-2007, 09:26 PM
melekalikimaka, Thank you so much for your kind words. I do feel "thin" right now. After menopause, I gained a lot of "belly fat" that I never had before - even though my weight stayed relatively the same. It has been the first fat to go, so I actually have some shape to my body again - a bit "fluffy" still, but at least a shape is emerging - LOL

I am amazed how many of us work in education. I am the technology coordinator for our school district. I have an office at the Jr-Sr High. I try to time my movements so that I am not in the hall when the students are passing, I get lost in the shuffle! Even our 6-7th grade building has many students that tower over me!

Erin:welcome2: I agree. I have a hard time walking with anyone else. I am such a slowpoke even when I am "truckin'".

I hate that I can't clean the top of my bathroom mirror without getting a step-stool. And that I have to stand on my tipee-toes to close the rear door of my husband's SUV.
And finally - what about furniture makers that can't seem to make a chair where my feet touch the floor? I don't even whant to get started on sofa makers ...

Shay
12-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Welcome Erin!

Connie do you have snow? Its snowing here in Arlington.

I could go on & on about the grocery store. I've stepped on shelves, I've asked strangers, I've given up....

I can definitely get on board about the short stride too. That is why some speeds on the treadmill are so scary.

the slim me
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi All, I have short legs too! Seems to be a theme for a lot of us. I do walk fast though, faster than most people. My husband is always telling me to slow down. And when I'm walking with other people I have to make a effort to walk at their pace. I think it's from all the running I do in the hospital. You learn to walk fast early on.

Hope eveyone is having a good day, Freda

melekalikimaka
12-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey everyone, it's been wet and wild weather for me here in Hawaii, my internet connection is a little haywire. I wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone though.

As for being able to reach for things on the top shelves? I have a "extend-a-arm" contraption in my kitchen, it's a wooden stick with a metal, rubber-tipped claw at the end which you use to grab things with. It's the best description I can give it, but it's the only way I can reach for my spices in the cupboard up above the stove without climbing up on a stool or a chair (which is dangerous!). Anyway, the things we have to put up just because we're vertically challenged :rolleyes:. You ladies have a good one.

Shay
12-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Noelle it is a mess here in VA too. It snowed on Wednesday and now its sleeting. The snow is the fluffy pretty kind.

melekalikimaka
12-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I want fluffy, pretty snow. I've got sunshine, but I've still got intermittent torrential downpours. Pretty weird weather! My guinea pigs and rabbit are so antsy to get outside and exercise. They've been cooped up for days!

How's everyone's day going? It's a pretty boring day at work for me. But I do have a haircut/color appointment this afternoon to make me all pretty again :lol:. I refuse to go into my weekend feeling all old and frumpy with my white hair showing.

I also wanted to share that at my WI at WW on Wednesday I got my 25 lb award--it's basically a round metal washer with a 25 lb mark on it. I'm so stoked! :strong:

gonzo walker
12-07-2007, 05:11 PM
We finally got some snow here in Richmond, too, on Wednesday. It didn't stick, though. By the time I left work, we just had lots of puddles. Rats.

Friday at last: yippee! Have a great evening, all!

Connie

melekalikimaka
12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Hmmm, I just went back to read some posts and found that I missed reading a whole slew of 'em--don't know why I never saw them before! :shrug: Just to clarify, my hubby isn't currently out of work, in fact, he's a workaholic! He and I were having those normal married-people disagreements and I was having a particularly bad day when I posted about he and I.... we work together (he's a plumber and I work in the office), but we don't see each other that often since he's on the road. I almost forget why we were arguing :rolleyes:. But anyway, I really am sorry to hear about all your hardworking hubby's being laid off from work after so many years of valuable service. It's especially hard during the holidays and I imagine it's really difficult not to want to strangle them when their at home and underfoot all the time :lol:.

Shay
12-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Good morning ladies,
I went to a holiday party last night and I think I did pretty good making choices. I knew the menut ahead of time so that helped with some planning. This thread is starting to get long. I'm thinking of starting a weekly thread starting tomorrow. Thoughts?

Enygirl
12-08-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't why I didn't see this thread before! I'm 5'1" and ten pounds in my case is a pants size... how do I know - well I successfully just lost my first #10 and I'm now in a 16 from an 18! However, back when I was at my highest (#241) I was in a size 20/22. Not to mention the fact that I looked like a butter ball turkey. I was pretty much as big around as I was tall!

I started this journey September 24th at #197.9 - and I'm now at 187.3 My BMI is at 35.4. My Ultimate goal is to get to #130 by Memorial day weekend 2008 - putting my BMI at 24.6 (in the healthy range)

I'll have little goals to meet through out - one mini-goal at a time. Right now I'm working on kissing the #180's away before the ball drops!

Karen31
12-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Shay, I don't what others think about it but I think a monthly thread is plenty. It seems to get to chaotic trying to find a weekly thread. Just my thoughts on it.

CountingDown
12-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi all - just checking in. I found a few more treasures at the second hand stores this week. I hope to spend a good portion of tomorrow hemming sleeves and pants. I will be soooo happy when I reach my goal and buy new clothes. Second hand petites are almost impossible to find.
Til then, I'm just glad my sewing machine has a blind hem option. If I had to do these all by hand...

Hope everyone is doing well. Blessings to all :)

Mermom
12-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I thought of another challenge for short chicks. How about getting out the socks that get stuck at the bottom of the washer after the load is done? I have a short reach and I can't get at the stuff that gets sort of plastered to the bottom of the tub afte the spin cycle.

Just a brief rant ---Tonight I am wondering why it is that I am STILL fat. For most of the last three years I have counted calories, eliminated anything that could be called a snack food, never eat out, choose lots of fresh veg and whole grain. I am as active as my body allows me to be (on my feet and moving 12 hours a day). I am so frustrated as I have not lost an ounce in months.

the slim me
12-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Morning little ladies, Another pet peve! Don't you hate being called that? I finished up my 2 12 hour days and i'm off for a couple of days. I have my husbands Christmas party to go to Friday and I have nothing to wear. I have clothes that are too big for me and I have clothes that are a bit too small but very little in between. I guess I will have to go out today and buy a pair of pants that actually fit "right now" I hate to spend the money when I know that in a couple of months they will be part of the "too big" bunch. I do have a sweater that is ok. Sweaters are so forgiving!

Melek, sorry, I don't know anyone's name yet. I'm sending you Lots of lovely snow, express! Enjoy! Oh, and want some icy roads to go with it? Plenty of those too. Get your hair cut and colored? That always makes you feel like a new woman, doesn't it? I need to get mine done too, too many grey roots showing through! Oh, my son and DIL got me the most lovely birthday gift. it's a gift card to the hair dresser, with punch outs. It's good for hair cut and set, coloring, manicure and pedicure and message. and you just punch out which services you got. Finally, something I really need! Yeah!!! for you for getting your 25 lb award!! Way to go girl!!

Shay, Congrats for making good choices. Not an eassy thing to do with all that good food around. I am going to be put to the test soon too. My husbands Christmas party is Thursday and I am going to have to really watch it. I hope I have the will power that you showed. Send me a bit, ok?

Any girl, I know what you mean about 10lb. being a size for you. I'm a shortie too, 5 feet nothing. I also set short goals for myself and reward myself when I meet those goals. Nothing big, some little something like a new nail polish of lipstick...I love your picture of the red haired girl and fairy!! my family is full of red haired girls!

Counting down, Finding petite sized clothes NEW is hard to do. Looking for them used must be a nightmare. You are so lucky you can sew. Not a talent I have. Actually i'm still looking for a talent that I have. Nothing is showing up so far. Clothes are expensive and I hate to spend money on clothes I know i'm going to be out of soon.

mermom, it's so frustrating when you hot that brick wall and your body will just not release that weight. But hang in there. It will happen. And in the mean time you are eating healthy and exercising to make your body strong and toned. You are exercising, arent you?

Hi karen, At least i know someone of this thread!

Eveyone have a great day, Freda

Mermom
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Wouldn't it be fun if all the short chicks could meet up for a spa vacation. I for one would be thrilled to spend time with chicks as short as me. We could trade tall people jokes!

I have a favorite spa that I go to in Palm Springs. The last time I webt there and soaked in the natural mineral springs I lost five pounds in three days:dizzy:

Shy Moment
12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I love being called, little lady, half pint, small stuff.....Heck I am glad they notice I am there and not walk over me because they didn't see me lol.

Shay
12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Karen--I prefer monthly myself so that's what I will do. I will start a new thread in January.

Mermom--I agree with the slim me, although your body is holding on to that weight at least you are treating it right by eating healthy. Love the spa idea!

The slim me & ShyMoment--My preference: to be called by my name

The slim me--I'm in the same clothing situation. I hate shopping for clothes right now. It is extremely frustrating. I'm literally between sizes right now. Lets not get started on the it fits me in the waist but is huge everyone else...

Don't you hate it when someone says to you--do you know how short you are?

glynne
12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I was thinking of you all last night. I was at my daughter's house ~ tried to reach a measuring cup out of the cupboard ~ it was on the top shelf of course. I used a long handled utensil ~ couldn't catch it and it ended up on the floor ~ thank goodness it was plastic. LOL.

Shy Moment
12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
My husband calls me all kinds of things. I don't mind. What I really dislike is when a waitress calls me honey. All other names don't bother me but honey is a very personal thing to call someone, drives me crazy.

Shay
12-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree--ShyMoment. That's kind of uncomfortable. I work with people with disabilities and I hate when our staff use honey or baby. Its not appropriate. Besides I call my boyfriend "baby" :)!

Enygirl
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Is anyone else having a really really bad week? The only thing I've managed to do right this week is exercise... but the weight just keeps stacking on! I know a lot of it's water - and the fact that I've eaten like crap... but SERIOUSLY!!!

I have to be good the rest of the week.. and work my butt off literally! I HAVE TO SEE A DROP ON FRIDAY! THere's only 2 more weigh ins for my work contest!!!

Shy Moment
12-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Hubby and i were out to dinner once. The waitress kept calling him honey and smileing and flirting with him. This was a fairly nice place not Mels Dinner. I finaly turned to her and asked if she had known my husband longer than I thought. Then I turned to him and asked he wanted to know this woman better, it was so funny to see his face while he was trying not to laugh. She went on about she didn't know what I ment. I said you call a womans husband Honey you better be ready to move him in and pay for the divorce. The people at the table next to us started laughing. The woman tryed to stop laughing as she said oh I hate when people call my husband Honey.

call me e
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Short jokes and nicknames don't bother me, but I have to agree with hating strangers calling me by endearments- especially guys. It creeps me out and puts me on my guard.

Enygirl
12-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Ok girls -- I'm sucking it up tomorrow and taking a pregnancy test. TOM is 2 weeks late.. I had a touch of spotting on Saturday - but this happened when I was pregnant with DD. I'm 1/2 & 1/2 on if this is good or bad. - I want another one - but I wanted to lose the weight first. - but my DBF and I have talked about it.. so that's good. :)

I'llupdate you all tomorrow on the results.

melekalikimaka
12-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Rennie, that is hilarious! :lol: When people call me or my husband "honey", I usually respond with "Hey babe..." then they look at me funny :rolleyes:, but it usually makes them stop.

Eny, wow, that's some news! Let us know what happens. I remember the first time in my adult life when I actively tried to lose weight--I got pregnant after losing the first 20 lbs :lol:. I'm not having such luck right now though...I'm running out of time too :( Good luck to you! I love babies :bb:

It's getting late, I'll just goodnight to all :wave: Chat more tomorrow.

Enygirl
12-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Well - there was definately a very faint line - but now I'm having a little bit of spotting. I'm going to wit things out and stick to plan today. If I start having full blown period then I'll know - and if not then I'll test again on Friday. It's crazy... i just don't "feel" right... doe that make sense?

shantroy
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't know if it's a waitress thing, but I was a server for 5 years and I would find myself calling patrons, both male and female nicknames like dear, honey and so on. I never ment anything by it, it would just slip out. I few times a costumer would call me on it and I would turn beet red and make a joke out of it. I think it's a server thing....

On another note, my 6'11" cousin just announced his engagement to a girl who is 5'3". They are a cute couple, but definately an odd couple height wise.

Shy Moment
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Shan
We get called Mutt and Jeff. I am 4 foot 11 he is 6 foot lol. I bet they get jokes too.

Eny
You might want to go to the doc and have a check. From what I have seen on the home tests there shouldn't be a faint line it should be blazing lol.

melekalikimaka
12-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Shan, you have a cousin that's 6'11"?!! I thought our Mayor was tall, but he's only 6'7" :lol:. My hubby is 5'9" so it's a pretty darn good fit if you ask me.

Eny, could the spotting be implantation spotting? I would hop on over to the doctor and get a test done so I wouldn't have to wait and wonder. :hug:

I have to go to the dreaded annual female check up tomorrow... at least I know I'll be down a few pounds from the last time I went.

How's everyone else doing?

Shay
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Rennie---LMAO!!!

Shan--My co-worker has a cousin, Julie, that is 4'9" and her boyfriend is 6' something and the family is always telling jokes and they are funny!!!!

Examples--The boyfriend hurt his knee and they asked him, what happened? Did Julie headbutt you in the knee?

You and Julie going to the mall? You want to borrow my baby bjorn so you can carry her around?

ROTFL!!!!!!

teacher1
12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I can relate to the dating and height difference. My DB is 6’3" and I’m 5’1". He’s also skinny and quiet while I’m chunky and never stop talking. But it works ☺

the slim me
12-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Ok, I am so guilty!!!! I call everyone honey! I always though it was a southern thing. I am a nurse and I call my patients honey too. I never even though about anyone resenting it. Guess I'll have to rethink this thing.

Enygirl
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
so I started last night... but I still don't "feel" right. It's not normal - I'm still going to eat right and wait out the next few days. I'm still doing the walks - although I took yesterday off. I'm blah! I need some guidance.. I think i'm going to call the Dr. and see what's going on with me!

I just talked to my best friend and she's back in the hospital again.. It's not a good day.

shantroy
12-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah my cousin is really 6'11". I've always bugged him about borrowing a few inches! I'm mean c'mon he's got more than enough to spare! We definately tease them alot. Especially coz they couldn't be more opposite. He's you're typical stringbean, long, lanky, dark hair and dark eyes and really outgoing. She's short, fair as all get out, a little chubby and much more reserved. But they balance eachother out.

Teacher1, my bf is 6'1" also and I'm 5'2" if I stand up really really strait! I'm also alittle chunky and never shut up! Last week we were out celebrating his being made partner/owner in the company he works for and we ordered chocolate cake. I was totally savouring the deleciousness of it. He looked at me and said "Now I know how to shut you up...Just put chocolate cake in front of you. I've never not heard you for this long!" Hehe. I'm never not quiet- I even talk in my sleep!

Enygirl
12-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm Definately Not Pregnant! :yay: The timing's not right - I have to take care of a few MAJOR things first. With TOM's arrival - I only gained #1 this week - so I'm ok with that - especially since I haven't exercised since Tuesday - and I haven't really been counting what I'm eating - although I've been watching. I think I'm moving away from the analness of counting every calorie and I'm getting more comfortable with what I need to do. I've pretty much cut out all pop - and i am obsessed with drinking water. It's amazing the transformation that I'mve put myself through in 3 months!

I have to stick with it - and have to get back to my 5K training! So I'm starting where I left off tonight... it'll be good for me. I still want to hit the #170's by Jan 1 - so I do have my work cut out for me - but after TOM leaves, and I get over the craziness of this week I'll be back on board.. I'm not too far off!

Shay
12-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Whew--I guess we all have been busy ladies lately. It is that time of year. I should finish all of my shopping tomorrow. Thank goodness. I've always been a last minute shopper. TBL is on commercial right now...isn't it always! Oh its back.

teacher1
12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm watching TBL too. Do you know how long their weight loss journey has been? They look great. I wonder if any has dealt with the extra skin from major weight loss.

vixjean
12-18-2007, 10:24 PM
HIHI,
short chick here,
this is the first time I saw this thread, love it though!

Enygirl
12-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Vix - :welcome3: Looks like you're doing great on your mini-goal... Come here often.. keep us posted! :)

melekalikimaka
12-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Hello fellow short chicks. Welcome Vix! :wave: I am going on vacation next week to Las Vegas and had to go shopping for some new jeans that fit. I found some that fit great made by Lee, I think they're called "new fit". I found two styles that really work well with my shape. I did buy the petite length and it fit just perfectly, no gap in the waist and it came all the way down to a little past my ankle which is what I was looking for. No need to buy capri length and get stuck with flood pants :lol:. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone was looking for some pants ideas.

Eny, that's good news for you (not being pregnant). I think you'll be able to hit your New year's goal no problem. I have to give you kudos for cutting out soda, I still have to drink at least one a day. I only drink diet though, but still...I know if I stuck to water only I would probably lose faster.

I haven't watched TBL this season but my sister keeps me up to date once in a while. I love it that the black team has done so well.

Shay, did you get the shopping done? I still have a few more gifts to go but I have to wait til payday Friday.

Hello to all and have a great evening. I'm heading to my WI this evening. Will post results later.

Shay
12-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Teacher1--I think you got your question answered on TBL thread right?

Welcome Vixjean!

Noelle--Thanks for the tip about the jeans. I have one more gift to get. I really thought I would get it done today. I ran out of time because the place I thought I was getting a gift didn't have as great of a selection as I thought it would.

offthecouch
12-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Another short chick here! Good to meet others who know what it's like to always have to hem their new jeans.;)

I'm off to do some strength training. Maybe I'll find my waist some day if I keep this up.

Hope your day goes well.

teacher1
12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Shay,
Yep I got the answer around 9 months. Thanks :)
Everyone have a great night.

vixjean
12-22-2007, 02:21 AM
I found a pair of petite's @ lane bryant, they were on sale for 10$, size 14! That's the only pair I am wearing now, (that I like). I wear them all weekend long. ;)

Enygirl
12-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Well girls - the contest at work is over. I ended up coming in second - which i'm very happy with. I lost 6.62% of myself in the last three months - while dealing w/ my best friend's illness.. changing positions in my compnay.. oh and I quit smoking amongst all of this too.

Now that life is a little more in order - I'm making more aggressive - but attainable goals for myself. I wrote a whole blog on it - so if you go and check it out it's all there. But the basic run down is that I'm giving myself 1 year to reach my ultimate goal. I didn't gain all of this over night, or in 6 months - I can't expect to lose it all that fast either (although I'm going to try to!)

The first 3 months - my goal is to lose #7-#10 a month. - completely doable.
And actually if I hit the high end of my goal every month then I'll be at my Ultimate goal of #130 by Julyish.. Honestly - I know I'm going to be a TON smaller by the end of June - which will be AWESOME to see my ex's face when he walks into the court room June 23rd to finalize our divorce!!! :devil: I CAN'T WAIT

teacher1
12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Enygirl- Sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like you have a strong plan for the new year. Good luck. I need to reassess after Christmas and set some goals for myself. :)

Shay
12-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Enygirl---I'm right with you with meeting my ultimate goal during 2008. I haven't been on the scale since TBL challenge ended. I will weigh in on Wednesday morning to see what I need to do. I'm thinking I will need to lose about 10 lbs a month or 2-3 a week. We'll see what happens on Wednesday. I will be honest and change my ticker too.

callmelorena
12-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I wanna hop on board with you other "shorties".. im at exactly 5 feet...THe majority of my weight is right in the belly.. makes me look about 5 months pregnant

teacher1
12-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Short Chicks- Happy Christmas Eve :)

Magrat
12-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Like most shot people I find it hard to find clothes. I have a long torso and itty bitty little legs. When I was at my lowest weight (about 118lbs) I could shop in the kids department. GAP kids was awesome! I could buy basics (plain t's and jeans) at half the price.

Another shortie here. I'm a smidge over five feet tall and weigh 120 pounds (I'm maintaining a 20+ pound loss). My secret wish goal is to lose another 5 or 10 pounds and with them the flab that's still clinging to my thighs and tummy). I shop in the kids' department all the time; I even buy my dressy clothes there. It's so nice not have to hem everything.

The only things I buy in the ladies department are bras; I'm a 34C and the teen training bras just don't cut it lol.

Magrat
12-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I like this!!!

Don't you hate it when..... the shoulder seat belt "chokes" you!!

Yes, yes, arrghh!, gurgle, yes.

Also, I hate the fact that I have to sit on one pillow and have another one behind me in order to drive.

And can't drive a new car due to airbag dangers.

Magrat
12-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Don't you hate it when....you're sitting all the way back in a chair and your feet don't touch the ground

OMG YES!!! I've gotten a reputation at work for getting up and pacing around during meetings, but that's because my feet dangle and fall asleep. I'd be more comfortable if I could sit with one leg tucked under, but that's too undignified for the corporate world.

teacher1
12-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all the Short Chicks :)

Shy Moment
12-25-2007, 01:44 PM
We had to get special permission from the state and then find a dealership that would turn the drivers side air bag off on my Caddie. Darn thing ever went off it would have crushed my chest lol.

My feet never touch the floor if I am sitting down.

I have Buster Brown's dog pooping in my shoes, rainbow bright and I are best friends, I had the first pair of light up shoes on the block.

I have to have dress shoes special made. I wear a size 4 in womans dress shoes but my foot is as wide as the box lol. The box tends to fit better than the shoes. I wear a size 2 in kids tennis shoes. Hard to get shoes when it is time for the back to school sales. All that pushing and shoving. If those darn grade schoolers would get out of my way, they wouldn't get knocked down so much lol.

Karen31
12-25-2007, 02:05 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE SHORT CHICKS!! I'll be back later to chat more. Have a WONDERFUL DAY!!

Enygirl
12-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Good morning all! I hope your holidays were as good as mine! Apparently someone thought I was a very good girl this year!

But today I'm back to work. I weighed in first thing this morning - and I did good. i'm up #.4 from Friday. I'm still #2.8 away from my New Years goal - so I have to be on my best behavior this week to get close!

:santa: didn't bring a scale for me - so I'm going to buy one - before Sunday. I'm starting over again then with the new scale - and I have OCD about everything having to start on Sundays :)

I'm putting together a new contest for work... I'm hoping that more people will stick to it this time! Although - the extra $40 from the last one was nice - I'd love to have it be more :D

Have a great day girls - I have to get back to work.... *sigh*

teacher1
12-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Hello short chicks,
I had to move my ticker up :( But I'm back ready to start journaling my food and exercising. My elliptical was delivered Monday but was missing a bolt. They're coming today to fix it. I'll let everyone know how it goes. :)

Enygirl
12-26-2007, 12:43 PM
teacher - I had to move mine up a bit this morning too... and then i binged at lunch and had Red Robin... Chicken burger w/ fries! *ugh* I guess it'll be soup tonight to keep under my cals for the day! Oh well - It could've been much worse!!!

melekalikimaka
12-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, I know I did. It is now time to pay the piper.....I have a weigh in tonight, then I am off to Vegas for 5 days tomorrow! :dancer: I'm pretty sure I will show a gain, I have just been indulging my sweet tooth since last Wednesday. Then I made 2 batches of cookies on 2 consecutive days, and had to sample them all of course! Oy! Oh well, I am not pressuring myself to stay totally OP until after the New year.....I also promise myself that I won't overindulge too much while eating at all those fabulous buffets.

Rennie, you crack me up every time! :lol:

Teacher, don't you just hate it when parts are missing from things? I hope you get it replaced with no problem. Our TV had some bolts missing from the stand so my hubby had to go to the hardware store to improvise. Either that or wait a week for some replacements to come by mail...what a pain either way.

Good luck on your challenge Enygirl, you can do it!!! :strong:

Hello Magrat! :wave:

Hello to all and especially hello to any newcomers as well. I have to get cracking if I'm going to get packing :lol: :rolleyes:

Enygirl
12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I bought my scale today! :woohoo: so I'm going to change my tickers over to the *new* scale in the morning and consider it my start.. well actually when i weigh in on Suday that will be my official start weight... OCD. :)

melekalikimaka
12-27-2007, 12:31 AM
:dancer: I had a MAINTAIN at my weigh-in tonight. I am in disbelief!!! Off to Vegas I go! :wave:

Karen31
12-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Hello Ladies! I hope everyone had a good Christmas and Santa was good to you!
I don't know if I told you that I've been watching craigslist for an elliptical--- Well, I found a Gazelle on there the first of December that the lady said was just like new and she wanted $100 for it. I sent her an email I think it was last week and asked if she still had it. She said she did but they were leaving and wouldn't be back until the 28th. So I figured that I would keep watching and if nothing came along better than I would call her this Friday and offer her $50 for it. I got all my "horse trading mentality" from my Daddy! Anyway, I got on craigslist this morning and they had a Proform elliptical for $25 ! I sent an email and asked if they still had it and where would I see it. They replied and then said they had to go to a birthday party this afternoon and wouldn't be home until about 3:00. He said that there was something wrong with adjusting the resistance and the console didn't light up but thought it would just need new batteries. So I told them that I would just buy it and we would be at their house at 3:00. We got down there and looked at it and tried it out. I asked if he would take $20 for it and he agreed! So I now have it here at home. I was pretty excited about it. We tried new batteries and that didn't help the console display but Tim hasn't got into it anymore tonight. And right now I sure don't need to change the resistance because I was on it for about 5 minutes and was just about worn out! He told us he thought that the resistance level right now was set at the lowest. It is a Proform 485E which is an older model but the price was definitely right!! I went ahead and got the internet and downloaded an owners manual for it so maybe we can get it figured out and fix those two things that are wrong with it. If not-- it was still worth the $20! I guess you can tell that I'm pretty happy about it!
Here are a couple pictures of Ginger & Sissy in their new dresses! I just couldn't resist!
Well, it is getting late but wanted to pop in and say Hello. I will try to get caught up with everyone tomorrow! Have a good night!

Enygirl
12-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Mele - Great Job maintaining! It's hard to do that during this time of year! Have a BLAST in Las Vegas!!!

Karen - Great Find!!! I'm jealous! :) I would LOVE to have an elliptical machine!

I weighed in on my new scale this morning.. in the buff... at my house... ahhh... it's so nice to be able to do that! The scale isn't off from the one at work - if it is it's barely off. i weighed in at #187 this morning. I'm making my "official" weigh in day Sunday's starting the 30th (although I may weigh in on the 31st if I'm not at my mini-goal yet :))

teacher1
12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Envy- Congrats on the new scale!
Mele- Have fun in Vegas.
Karen- I love the pixs of your puppies. Pink is my favorite color :)

The elliptical I got is still having problems so the company is coming this morning to switch out the machine. I'll let you know how it goes.

teacher1
12-27-2007, 12:33 PM
The elliptical is working. I just did 30 minutes. After the first 10 min I wanted to stop but I pushed on for the full 30 min :)

Karen31
12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
teacher1--- I am so excited about mine! Right now my DH is taking it apart to see if he can see why the display doesn't work and to see if there is a way to adjsut the resistance. We knew when we got it the resistance know wasn't working but thank goodness DH is pretty handy when it comes to stuff like this. Maybe he can get it working but if not after being on it last night for about 10 minutes I don't think I will need the resistance adjusted for quite awhile anyway! And I'll just use the clock to see how long I've been doing it if the display can't be fixed. But still figure the price was right! Let me know how you enjoy yours. I did find some workout music on itunes that are free downloads. Thought that you might be interested.

Shay
12-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Welcome Magrat!

Karen31 & Teacher1--Ellipticals are fantastic workouts. I remember when I first started exercising on one I started with 5 minutes and added 2 minutes each time until I got to the 30 minutes.

Noelle--Congrats on the maintaining!

Shymoment--ROTFL. I'm 4'11" like you but I wear a 7.5 wide. I would not have the patience....

Magrat
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi all, This may not be for everyone, but.......Don't you hate it when you choose which car to buy, by how high you sit in the seat and can see out the window?

No, but I do hate the fact that I can't ever buy a new, or even recent model car due to the fact they all have airbags, which can be lethal for a short person.

WileyB
12-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey girls! I hope you don't mind if I join ya'll. I've been looking for a place where people have the same problems that I have. I am 5'00''...flat... needless to say; I am vertically challenged! ...and yes, every pound I gain looks like 5 on me. I am trying to get an elliptical machine through the 'want ads'. I hope that I can find a decent one. Our ground turns to pure mud when it just sprinkles, so walking on a daily basis is out of the question, plus, leaving my two year old girl with the 12 and 10 year old brothers is a little un-nerving. I am in serious need of motivation and recipes that work for my entire family. I will do all that I can to encourage any and all of you to my best ability. Thanks for considering me to be a part of ya'lls group!

Enygirl
12-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Wiley- :welcome: Good luck on finding the ellipical machine - I would love to have one too! Us short chicks have to stick togehter!

Magrat - there are some dealerships that will turn off the driver's side air bag for you. Next time you go looking - that may be a great aspect of customer service to help you make your decision. :)

Today - I'm feeling very blah.. my whole family has differnet aspects of a cold/flu... it's lovely. I'm actually the best of the three of us - but I'm playing hookie anyhow. I'm hoping to catch up on some sleep this weekend. :tired:

Shay
12-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I wish I was playing hookie...might as well have..I have been so unproductive at work.

I never really thought about the airbags in my car...

teacher1
12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Welcome Wiley!!!

Day 2 with the new elliptical went great :0

WileyB
12-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey girls! Thanks for the welcome.

Karen - girl...you got a steal on that Proform! They are the best you can get. My brother works in a gym, and that is what all of their ellipticals are...the Proform type...eveyone says they are simply the best. After looking at their prices, I can see why!!

Well, I am not making much progress with anything. I think it is because I am cooped up in the house. Too muddy outside, and too expensive to drive anywhere. I am considering a membership to Curves. Do any of you have any experience with them? I feel like it will probably be a waste of time because I don't know when I will even have the time to go there. On top of that, I don't know who will keep my kids while I do it. The prospects of going there are getting slimmer and slimmer. One more obstacle to deal with.

I am going to try the core diet of WW. I have done the flex diet before and meetings, and it was allright, but that counting thing is just too much to deal with on a daily basis. Plus, I think that the core recipes will be a little more 'family' friendly.

Hope that you all are doing great! Let's all start out this new year with a new us!!

vixjean
12-29-2007, 05:35 PM
teacher 1-
CONGRATS on your eliptical, i honestly think if I had room for one I would drop my gym membership for a half a year or something...
im so jelous,
so proud of you for getting in your 30 minutes, weight is going to start dropping soon,
HAPPY NEW YEAR SHORT GIRLIES!
GOOD THINGS COME IN LITTLE PACKAGES!!
SHOULD WE ALL SAY OUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION PLANS!
I HAVE TO ORGANIZE MINE FIRST!
LOL!

teacher1
12-29-2007, 06:06 PM
vixjean- I'm hoping this weight will start to slide off. I did it 2 days in a row then took a break today because my legs are sore. I'm a big baby.
Wiley- My friend owns a Curves and I've been told it's a really supportive place.

Have a great night everyone.

Enygirl
12-29-2007, 07:55 PM
I decided not to exercise tyesterday.. ugh It sucks when you're not up to par! I'm definately going to today though. I'm having a very relaxing weekend - it's wonderful I started crocheting a poncho for my dd yesterday, and I'm about 1/2 way done now. I need more "me" time! I'm tryign to figure out how to rearrange my office to have more work out room - I'm not sure yet since it already is an office/craft room. Oh well - I'll think of something! Less then #2 aways from my goal for the New Year... it's so close - even if I don't hit it I'm proud!

PurdueGirl98
12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Hello ladies, I saw the name of this thread and had to respond, Im 5'0 and love every minute of it except for the "5 lbs gained looks like 15 lbs". Ive been really dedicated to my weight loss lately and working out consistently. So hi and hello!

teacher1
12-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Welcome Purdue Girl :)

CherryAutumn
12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi i wondered if I could Join. I am 5'4" but i feel short compared to most people. I to am always being choked by my seat belt. I am over 200 pounds and at my height that is very unhealthy. I am looking for some support, encouragement and motivation.

Shay
12-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Welcome WileyB, PurdueGirl98, and CherryAutumn!

Vixjean--I think we should definitely do New Year's Resolutions. I will start a new thread for the month of January tomorrow so we can post them in there.

Enygirl
12-31-2007, 04:42 PM
5'4" is short enough to me.. I wouldn't have to stand on my tip toes to look into your eyes. - so :welcome: :)

I'm gloating (before i ruin it all with drinking tonight) I am #1.1 away from my goal for the new year! WOO HOO! :yay: I'm proud

teacher1
12-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Happy New Years Eve everyone!!! Have a fun and safe night :)

Shay
01-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm starting a new thread. Please post in there.

ellis
01-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I'll close this thread.

Happy New Year, everyone! :wave: