General chatter - Favorite Christmas Music?

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas Music?

EZMONEY
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
We love all types of Christmas music in our house and have a large collection. We start playing it the day after Thanksgiving.

Yesterday we bought a new CD from Mannheim Steamroller, I think we have all their Christmas CD's along with all the Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas CD's.

Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra are two of our favorites ~

What's yours?

jules1216
11-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I LOVE Christmas music!! We decorated at work and my coworkers wanted me to play some of it--I covered 9 1/2 hours......and didn't play everything..

I have to say one of my faves is Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt--it makes me giggle....I have a compilation of several female Christian recording artists and I have to say its my fave...

aymster
11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm one of the last Mohican's who likes separate holidays, so I don't start until Dec. 1. with the X-mas stuff, but I do love the music (which gets the same start date...)

But, I love:
*Charlie Brown's Christmas CD from Vince Guaraldi
*The Muppets with John Denver
*Christmas with the Rat Pack
*Big Band Christmas
*Bing Crosby
*A Jazz Christmas
*Harry Connick, Jr.
*Sarah McLachlan Winterland
*Oscar Peterson
*And a little bit of Elvis! ;)

I want to get Ella Fitzgerald's Christmas and some sort of swinging Christmas Cd's. There's something about Christmas CD's and wrapping gift and making goodies... :D

melekalikimaka
11-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Of course I love Christmas music, I sometimes listen to it all year :lol:. One of my favorite CD's is David Foster's: The Christmas Album. It features so many great singers and performers of all different genres, if you've never heard it, go to Amazon and check it out. You'll want one! I have it on repeat when I'm working and sometimes it runs through 3 times before I notice.

I like Kenny G's Miracle's The Holiday album or David Lanz Christmas Eve. I like instrumentals alot, since the season can be hectic and overwhelming, I like to just chill and sit back and enjoy the music.

sidhe
11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Always and forever, my favorite is Carpenter's Old Fashioned Christmas. :)

sidhe
11-25-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm one of the last Mohican's who likes separate holidays, so I don't start until Dec. 1. with the X-mas stuff, but I do love the music (which gets the same start date...)
:D

AYMSTER! That's Bah Humbug Day!!!! :carrot: My dad always insisted that Christmas couldn't start until it was actually December, so our family holiday is Bah Humbug Day. The Christmas china comes out, the music comes on, we start decorating, everyone exchanges small "Christmas decoration" gifts...and dad can walk around and say "BAH HUMBUG!" the whole day. How happy you've made me, to know that someone else does this! :xcheer:

aymster
11-25-2007, 12:57 PM
AYMSTER! That's Bah Humbug Day!!!! :carrot: My dad always insisted that Christmas couldn't start until it was actually December, so our family holiday is Bah Humbug Day. The Christmas china comes out, the music comes on, we start decorating, everyone exchanges small "Christmas decoration" gifts...and dad can walk around and say "BAH HUMBUG!" the whole day. How happy you've made me, to know that someone else does this! :xcheer:

Bah, Humbug Day--love it!! I'll think of you and your family Dec. 1! I also set up the Dept. 56 "North Pole Series" at work. The customers love it!

I love this post cuz I'm always in search of new music. I love to step outside the box and try something new. Anyone know of some good international music? I'll def. check out David Foster, melekalikimaka!

bargoo
11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Remembering the reason for the season, my favorites are Christmas Carols.but I also enjoy White Christmas and theTwelve Days of Christmas is a lot of fun if you can get a group together and act out the days.

Rhighlan86
11-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I absolutely love Trans Siberian Orchestra! Carol of the Bells is my favorite by them, it's so powerful

ANOther
11-25-2007, 01:36 PM
The Therapy Sisters' "Codependent Christmas"

Spinymouse
11-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Despite the fact that I am a Christmas rebel, I love the song A-Soulin' by Peter Paul and Mary, and for the last 36 years I have been trying to get somebody to play it with me. So far no takers. (The song needs two guitars - I need somebody to do the high tinkly part.)

meowee
11-25-2007, 05:05 PM
I :love: most of the standard Christmas Carols . . . my particular favourite is "O Holy Night".

CountingDown
11-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Another Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra fan here. We were lucky enough to see Mannheim Steamroller live a few years ago. What a wonderful concert!
I also enjoy Christmas brass and classical Christmas CDs. I'm definitely drawn to instrumental music this time of year.
But I love to sing Christmas carols. We have caroling at church and it really helps me get into Advent and the Christmas season. It helps me remember to slow down and not get caught up in all of the holiday hype as well.

ANOther
11-25-2007, 06:59 PM
I :love: most of the standard Christmas Carols . . . my particular favourite is "O Holy Night".

Mine too

VelVeeta
11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I love Charlie Brown/Vince Guaraldi Christmas cd- so good!

AND I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet- Mariah Carey, All i Want for Christmas is You :)

jules1216
11-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Ditto!!

alinnell
11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Carol of the Bells is my favorite and it's even better if you can get it A Capella by a chorus. Silver Bells is also a favorite. I also like some oldies--especially Johnny Mathis' Winter Wonderland. Oh and I'm dreaming of a White Christmas--I really used to have those!

melekalikimaka
11-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Oooh Johnny Mathis :love: , I LOVE his version of It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, so uplifting! :goodvibes:

cbmare
11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear

newFannie07
11-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Ah....Christmas Carols. I came into work last Wednesday and they were blaring from the speakers. I mean so loud, I couldn't hear the customers. They finally turned it down this weekend.

My favorite is also O Holy Night. I think I hear 5 different versions during one shift at work!

I also love Brian Setzer's 2 Christmas CDs.

murphmitch
11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
I love the song "Mary, Did You Know" sung by various artist, but I love it sung by Kenny Rogers & Wynona Judd.

EZMONEY
11-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Angie put Christmas Canon by Trans Siberian Orchestra on my cell phone today and Carol Of The Bells by TSO on hers.

mothermavis
11-27-2007, 07:00 AM
I love "Mary Did You know?' Wynonna's version is nice, but there are several out there. Also Bob Seger's "Little Drummer Boy" is a favorite.

alinnell
11-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear

Oh, I have about 3 CD's of Bob River's Christmas carols. This one is great, but how about "who put the stump?" It isn't a Christmas tune, but the words are about the angel being put on top of the tree--hilarious.

DGAdDawg
11-27-2007, 01:16 PM
I like Trans-Siberian as well...the other Christmas CD in my car is Hanson's "Snowed In"..I bought it years ago when they first hit it big. I'm about to buy Michael Crawford's Christmas Album(He's the original Phantom of the Opera!) and Charlie Brown Christmas and maybe Mariah Carey, everyone seems to love that CD. I love "O Holy Night", "O Come All Ye Faithful", and "Little Drummer Boy", because that was my Grandaddy's favorite.

nicolen
11-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Mahalia Jackson's version of Silent Night just sends chills down my spine.

OneLastTime
11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
My 12 year old daughter plays Christmas music on the piano and sings along. You can't beat it. ~ sigh ~
(OK... I may be prejudice here.)

losinitin07
12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
My favorites are
Silent Night
(and Yes) Mary Did You Know
O Come All Ye Faithful
Baby It's Cold Outside by Dean Martin
You're A mean One Mister Grinch
Noel
Hark The Harald Angels Sing /Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)
Santa Baby
I like all kinds of Christmas music.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE:present::gift2::wreath::xcheer:

Shy Moment
12-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I love the old stuff and some of it was old stuff when I was a kid lol. Bing Crosby, Hank Snow, Gene Autry, Andy Williams, Brenda Lee, Burl Ives, Jimmy Durante, Johnny Mathis,

FrouFrou
12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I love all Christmas music!

My favorite CD's are: Mariah Carey, Charlie Brown, Mannheim Steamroller, Michael Bolton, Kenny Rogers, Home Alone, Elvis and I just bought the Barry Manilow Cd from Hallmark...have yet to listen to it. And...I've not seen Trans Siberian Orchestra yet...going to see them Friday night and hoping to walk away with a cd from them, lol!

My favorite Christmas songs are:
Mary, Did You Know by Kathy Mattea, the Kenny Rogers version is nice as well.
All I Want For Christmas is You...Mariah Carey
This Is the Time & Silent Night...Michael Bolton
All Alone for Christmas...Darlene Love
O'Holy Night...John Berry-this one is just GREAT!
It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...Amy Grant

ericajones80
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I love the Mariah Carey Christmas CD! You should listen to any Christmas songs by a band named Relient K. They're amazing

ANOther
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Um, who knows a song called "December of Cambreadth"? Somebody referred to it on a Straight Dope thread from a couple of years ago, I Googled the lyrics (it's a parody of a filk [sic; :?:] song called "March of Cambreadth", and there's another parody of the same song called "Weight Loss Centers from ****": here, lemme find the links to the lyrics and get back to this)

Ok, I'm back, here's the link for "Weight Loss Centers" http://songworm.com/lyrics/songworm-parody/WeightLossCentersfromHell.html
And here's "December of Cambreadth" http://songworm.com/lyrics/songworm-parody/DecemberofCambreadth.html

sapphire9
12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Alvin & The Chipunks, Brenda Lee's "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree", Bobby Helms's "JingleBell Rock", Elmo & Patsy's "Grandma Got Run Over by A Reindeer." Bing Crosby's "White Christmas." Elvis's "Blue Christmas." The Ventures's Christmas Album from the '60s. Joan Baez "Noel." She does a beautiful version of O Holy Night, which is my favorite religious song. Johnny Mathis, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Willie Nelson. Oh and John Lennon's "Happy Xmas, War is Over." I cannot stand, however, Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time."

bargoo
12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I bought myself an almost at goal present . Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Music. I plan on another present when I reach goal ,. a Mannheim Steamroller C hristmas CD.

EZMONEY
12-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Congratulations BARGOO!...Angie and I have all the Trans Siberian...saw them last year in concert...and all of Manheim Steamroller...just picked up their latest last week...we are also going to see them in concert next Thursday!!! So excited!

EZMONEY
12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
CHRISTINA...I think you will love Trans Siberian in concert...they are loud though!

Lovely
12-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Now that it is December... I may reply ^_^
Omgosh I love them all, but I've always been very partial to White Christmas. (I was chosen as one of three girls in my 2nd grade class to sing this song, and since them I remember and love it.) O Holy Night and Little Drummer Boy are beautiful songs that I just enjoy (And would never admit in person, but they always make me cry). And then (of course!) Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer, and all the other hilarious songs. (Mostly because my mother still hates this song and I get an evil little joy out of annoying her :devil: I can just hear her now as I'm humming it.. "Tsk... what a terrible song! A grandmother being runover by a reindeer... terrible! *dramatic sigh*" I love my mom ^^)

ANOther
12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer [...] (Mostly because my mother still hates this song and I get an evil little joy out of annoying her :devil: I can just hear her now as I'm humming it.. "Tsk... what a terrible song! A grandmother being runover by a reindeer... terrible! *dramatic sigh*" I love my mom ^^)

Mmmm-wah-ha-ha :s:

Lovely
12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Mmmm-wah-ha-ha :s:

Hey I'm all about spreading Holiday Cheer wherever I can :hat: Even when it's my own! :o ;)

mandalinn82
12-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Ah, Gary's Christmas Music thread. I remember it fondly.

(Gary...do you remember starting the "Favorite Christmas Song or Movie" thread last year? It's a holiday tradition!).

I like the Rosie O'Donnell christmas albums. Go ahead, judge me. Elmo singing Christmas carols is my idea of a good time.

Oh, and I have several CDs from my high school choir. One of them has a song called "First Snowfall" which I haven't been able to find ANY professional recordings of. I love it soooo much. The other high school choir CDs are fun because I can sing the alto parts along with the arrangements, given that they are so familiar to me, even 8 years later.

Lafayette
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm not much of a Christmas music fan... I usually unplug the speakers as soon as I hear the first strains of that song, "Feed the World (Do They Know It's Christmas)." They'll be no snow in Africa this Christmas? Does that signify the poverty of Africa or the hemisphere where the majority of continent is located? Do they know it's Christmas? Is this song advocating evangelizing to a largely non-Christian population? I can't take it... it's better if I just make it stop.

I like U2's version of "Baby, Please Come Home," and John Denver and the Muppets can transport me to my childhood but I love Jimmy Buffet's Christmas Island CD. You have to love the lyrics "Ho! Ho! Ho! And a bottle of rum, Santa's run off to the Carribbean!" Especially if you happen to be enjoying a Wisconsin winter :)

mandalinn82
12-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Lafayette - that song makes me crazy, for exactly the same reason! Of COURSE there won't be snow in most of Africa at Christmas. There will be snow in some places, though, so the premise of the song is already wrong. And there won't be snow in Northern CA either...how will I know it's Christmas?? Not to mention the large portions of people in Africa that don't celebrate Christmas and don't want to....oh, I could go on and on. That song makes me nuts.

Nori71
12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
While I haven't gone as far as loading any christmas music onto my ipod (yet), I have so many christmas cd's that's it's a little embarrassing. So far this year the CD's that I'm playing the most are Jewel's A Holiday Collection, Will Downing's Christmas, Love And You & Diana Krall's Christmas Songs.

ANOther
12-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Hey I'm all about spreading Holiday Cheer wherever I can :hat: Even when it's my own! :o ;)

My mom would probably *like* Grandma Got Run Over, she has no fond memories of childhood Xmases (grew up in the depression) and I suspect given a chance she'd convert to the Jehovah's Witnesses or some other church that doesn't do Xmas, except she doesn't do much church anymore, and just resists the holiday sweetness and light. Does that clarify?

Dawn2Dusk
12-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I LOVE Santa Baby and Jingle Bell Rock. Although I could listen to any Christmas songs. They're all good. I just love going to the grocery stores and malls when December starts, just for the Christmas music :p

EZMONEY
12-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Ah, Gary's Christmas Music thread. I remember it fondly.

(Gary...do you remember starting the "Favorite Christmas Song or Movie" thread last year? It's a holiday tradition!).

Tradition? ~ Guess we have been here too long kiddo...at least you're getting $$$ for it now ;) Seriously how many "fights" can we have here at 3FC over "A CHRISTMAS STORY" :)

I like the Rosie O'Donnell christmas albums. Go ahead, judge me. Elmo singing Christmas carols is my idea of a good time.

Elmo is always a good time!

Oh, and I have several CDs from my high school choir. One of them has a song called "First Snowfall" which I haven't been able to find ANY professional recordings of. I love it soooo much. The other high school choir CDs are fun because I can sing the alto parts along with the arrangements, given that they are so familiar to me, even 8 years later.

I hear it's top ten in the "davis" area ;)

Spinymouse
12-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Almost forgot!
"Cry of a Tiny Babe" - Bruce Cockburn

ANOther
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Do Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra do anything *other* than Christmas stuff?

Ready4aChange
12-05-2007, 11:45 PM
My absolute all time favorite Christmas tune is Joni Mitchell, River. Other than that, I listen to the standards -- love Etta James singing Christmas tunes, Perry Como, Sinatra.... my parents tease me that I have older taste than they do! I can't help it!

FrouFrou
12-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Another I forgot to add is Some Day At Christmas by Stevie Wonder...I've been humming that song all day long.

And Gary...I will let you know what I think of TSO...looking forward to seeing them tonight!

EZMONEY
12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Do Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra do anything *other* than Christmas stuff?

Mannheim does have stuff besides Christmas. TSO, I believe has only Christmas...but these groups are big...you don't see the same people at each concert...and they do other things. Their websites explain it and are cool!

Another I forgot to add is Some Day At Christmas by Stevie Wonder...I've been humming that song all day long.

And Gary...I will let you know what I think of TSO...looking forward to seeing them tonight!

Well Christina how was it? I really like them...loud or not...we see Mannheim Steamroller on Thursday...can't wait!

FrouFrou
12-08-2007, 07:15 PM
It was okay...I didn't mind the loudness at all, the music was great! Just not into the light show so much and that it was like storybook time, lol. I can say I saw them though :D Enjoy Mannheim!

Slashnl
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone. I didn't really have much to add to this thread after saying how much I like Mannheim and TSO. But... I bought a new CD last night and it was just amazing. It is Celtic Woman's Christmas CD. AWESOME! They are so incredibly talented!

FrouFrou
12-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Just bought the new Mannheim Steamroller CD and can't wait to listen to it! Going to put it on while I walk on the treadmill!

GirlyGirlSebas
12-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Christmas music...I love all of it!

Some of my favorites, The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole, Blue Christmas by Elvis and O'Holy Night...sung by anybody.

princess_peach
12-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Traditional carols go without saying, I love Jimmy Buffet's "Run, Run Rudolph" (guitar is awesome) but my guilty pleasure is the George Michael song "Last Christmas" (I think that's the name) I can't believe I admitted it...:o

EZMONEY
12-13-2007, 07:39 PM
It was okay...I didn't mind the loudness at all, the music was great! Just not into the light show so much and that it was like storybook time, lol. I can say I saw them though :D Enjoy Mannheim!

The light show is a bit over the top...but their concerts are a story!

Hi everyone. I didn't really have much to add to this thread after saying how much I like Mannheim and TSO. But... I bought a new CD last night and it was just amazing. It is Celtic Woman's Christmas CD. AWESOME! They are so incredibly talented!

I thought about picking that one up...if I see it again I will.

Just bought the new Mannheim Steamroller CD and can't wait to listen to it! Going to put it on while I walk on the treadmill!

It is a good one Christina.

Well, Angie and I are leaving in an hour or so to see MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER tonight :carrot:

EZMONEY
12-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Well Angie and I saw MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER last night. We loved the concert, however, we think TRANS SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA puts on a better show. We do like MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER'S CHRISTMAS music better though.

We both agree that TSO is better in concert and MANNHEIM is better listening at home... after dinner... with a nice fire going....phones off the hook...CD player down to a comfortable noise level....sitting side by side :hug: smooching and cuddleing....drinking some fine red wine....:rofl:

SURE :yes: Like that's REALLY gonna happen :lol3::no::lol3:....WE'RE MARRIED! ;)

Karen31
12-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I thought that I would add "The Gift" or it is sometimes know as "the Nightingales's Song" It always gives me goose bumps when I hear it!! But then I love all Christmas music too!!

EZMONEY
12-14-2007, 09:08 PM
:snowglo:I know everyone has probably heard of Wizards in Winter by TSO and seen the "house". Here is link to another house all done up to Wizards in Winter. These people have waaay tooooo much time on their hands!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE

EZMONEY
12-14-2007, 11:34 PM
ANGIE sent the above link to you. She told me about it, after looking at it I found MY favorite TSO song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9DmSfufSQ&feature=related