Support Groups - G.R.I.T.S. ----->Girls Raised in the South

sockmonkey70
11-23-2007, 04:08 PM
As I ate my steaming bowl of cheddar cheese grits this morning, I recalled an online group I had seen once before...G.R.I.T.S. Nothing to do with dieting of course, just celebrating what makes a southern girl unique.

I myself am a southern girl born and raised...And being such, I know things are a little different down here. We learn that you can deep fry just about anything and eat it. Butter is good for you. Passing up on seconds is a sin. If you aren't thick, your momma didn't raise you right LOL.

So I am creating this group for all of us southern girls...This diet thing can be a whole new world for us. Here we can discuss all of the circumstances that make us stand out as well as the obstacles we face living in the south when it comes to dieting.

sockmonkey70
11-23-2007, 04:22 PM
So I am not sure how they do Thanksgiving everywhere else, but in my family there is always enough food to feed about 5x's as many people as there are attending the meal, and as many desserts as there are entrees.
We had chicken dressing, duck dressing, duck gravy, turkey, cajun turkey, brisket, rolls, english pea salad, sweet potato casserole, a carrot medley, jalepenos filled with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, fruit salad, vegetable platter with onion dip, salsa veggie salad, pound cake, Neiman Marcus Cake, peanut butter cake, blueberry pie, pecan pie, 7 layer chocolate pie...and some other desserts I don't even know the name of LOL. We were actually light on the food this year because my mom didn't come and she usually brings the deviled eggs, buttermilk pie, macaroni and cheese, garlic bread, and sometimes jumbalaya.

What did everyone elses menu look like?

MaggieJ
11-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey there! I'm not from the South (my husband's family is though, Ponchatula [sp?], LA), but I did have grits and cheese this morning. Never had them this way before (usually I add sugar and cinnamon--my husband always gags, lol). They were yummy and I'll be eating them this way from now on.

Anywho, as far as the Thanksgiving menu, typically we overdo similar to what you described. But this year less of us were getting together so we had a simple roasted turkey, sausage/bread stuffing, steamed broccoli (missed making my collards), baked potatoes, candied yams, mac and cheese and sweet potato pie.

kyfriedchick1
11-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Southern girl here born & bred... and LOVE IT. In fact, I'd love to move further south but my husband is completely anti-south even though he's lived in the same area I have his entire life.

We had turkey, dressing, mustard potato salad, cole slaw, mac & cheese, sweet potato casserole, green beans, corn, rolls and deviled eggs. Dessert was chocolate pie and banana pudding. That was just at my dad's house.

If I had eaten at my father in law's, they were having turkey, dressing, ham, corn pudding, corn, green beans with salt pork, deviled eggs, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, rolls and pumpkin pie. I went to help them cook but didn't stay and eat. They fixed their turkey in a bag with sweet potatoes... never heard of it & am not sure how it turned out but her turkey is usually nasty anyway so I wasn't keen on trying anything new there.

I actually didn't eat as much as what I thought I would so that was a plus. And I actually do think that dieting can be a huge obstacle for us southern girls because if it ain't fried, I didn't eat it growing up. And covered in gravy was pretty much an absolute must. Bacon grease is a food group all it's own and so are fried potatoes. I'm trying to adapt to grilling and baking but it just isn't the same. I can't eat fish that hasn't been breaded & fried... grilled fish...:fr: And dessert was always around at my mammaw's house.. usually some kind of cake that she baked with jello or ice cream. But, it's a learning experience. :book2:

sockmonkey70
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
And I actually do think that dieting can be a huge obstacle for us southern girls because if it ain't fried, I didn't eat it growing up. And covered in gravy was pretty much an absolute must. Bacon grease is a food group all it's own and so are fried potatoes. I'm trying to adapt to grilling and baking but it just isn't the same. I can't eat fish that hasn't been breaded & fried... grilled fish...:fr:

Amen. I don't know how to cook anything healthy LOL.

NemesisClaws
11-24-2007, 05:06 PM
LOL! I'm right at home in here! Been living in KY for a while, but have moved around a bit so I am aware of eastern style of food as well.

However, did most of my raising in KY and Tennessee, and all of the foods you described above could've been my house! I am trying to make things lighter though.....

My Thanksgiving fare was this....

mashed potatoes (with butter ya'll)
marshmellows with yams
sweet potatoes with honey, pecans, and bananas
green beans in bacon grease (no way would my mother have accepted it merely steamed)
cranberry
dressing & gravy
deviled eggs
pumpkin pie with cream cheese on bottom (trying something new this year...learned that I need to make my own crust as the store bought pie crusts were just too small to hold everything...:D)
apple/pear pie
blueberry pie (never ate this because my brother, when taking it out of the oven, actually DROPPED it....:(....)
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
ham with pineapples I have been good about not frying everything, but there are some things that just don't taste as good baked....so for the most part, I'm trying to do moderation and just exercise in private, cause we all know sweat on a southern gal just isn't proper! :dizzy:

jtammy
11-24-2007, 05:33 PM
LOL, Okay, I'm raising my hand. I beg my mom to cut down the menu every holiday. This year, my sister and I planned the menu and we still had to have way too much food. After arguing the last couple of years over how we didn't need so much food, I just gave up arguing this year.

We had a turkey
ham
chicken tenders
sweet potato casserole - one regular and one lower calorie (I was a rebel this year and did it without the pecan/brown sugar topping - The family wasn't happy)
deviled eggs
green beans casserole
broccoli rice casserole
fruit salad
corn
butterbeans
blackeye peas
cornbread dressing
cranberry sauce
vegetable plate and dip (one of my contributions of course)
chocolate pie
german chocolate cake
sin (a cream cheese, cool whip, pecan desert)

Now, this was for four adults, and five kids! Back when my grandparents were alive and all of the aunts and uncles and grandchildren would get together, the food was astounding. The desserts always had their own (2) tables.

Nemesis, how do you do the sweet potatoes with bananas? I've never heard of that but it sounds good!

Maggie, Sugar and cinnamon on grits?? Yuck, grits aren't supposed to be sweet :). My husband, who isn't a southerner - he's from Oregon, has to put sugar on them before he will eat them. I can't even bear to watch it. I agree with your husband.

Kyfriedchick, my mom used to hoard bacon grease while we were growing up. Even then, I never knew why we needed to keep cans of it in the kitchen. That was disgusting. I still like the taste of things cooked in bacon grease, but I don't keep cans of it! ;)

sockmonkey70
11-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Yuck, grits aren't supposed to be sweet :).

LOL! I totally agree :)

My grandma still keeps jars of bacon grease. Once it is congealed....Ugh. It is so nasty looking, but the food she uses it for is always delicious.

kyfriedchick1
11-24-2007, 09:44 PM
My granny & mammaw kept cans of it as well. Big ol' Crisco cans full of bacon grease. And they used it for EVERYTHING. Corn bread, fried taters, green beans... oh and of course, lettuce & green onions! I LOVE lettuce & green onions with fresh bacon grease poured over them! I haven't had it in years though...

Tammy... I have never heard of Sin dessert. How in the world do you make it? Now that I look at the way you described it, it sounds like my aunt's fluff... with marshmellows in it too.

I'm anxious to hear about the sweet potatoes with bananas as well.

Nemesis... what part of Kentucky are you from? I'm with ya... I am cutting back on normal foods so that I won't feel so limited and rebel. And I *only* exercise in private -- usually with my daughter by my side. You don't know how often I was told growing up not to sweat in public. LOL I couldn't figure out how to STOP sweating.

sockmonkey70
11-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah I have never heard of the sweet potatos with bananas either! I bet it's delicious!

Shaunanigans
11-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Wow! A group just for me. :D I'm a total southern chick who's totally used to fried food, delicious carbs, and oh man, pie. I think the only healthy southern food I eat is like... Blue crab... And ****, thats usually doused in butter and worcheshire sauce. My thanksgiving was actually pretty decent since I went up to Virgina for thanksgiving and we had all that northern healthy food. Southern food is so incredibly delicious... Why am I dieting again?!

sockmonkey70
11-26-2007, 05:04 AM
LOL I battle that very single day.

NemesisClaws
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
LMAO....alright, alright....my sweet potato with bananas, honey, and pecans were actually something new this year for me. I'm trying out new recipes every so often, and saw this one on the Food Network channel...link is included below....my overall impression of this was you could definitely taste the bananas in this, plus it was almost too rich in the taste, so be sure you serve yourself a little portion of this at first. Definitely a keeper though!

kyfriedchick: I'm currently in Elsmere, which is about 10 mins outside of Cinncinnati, Ohio over the border. There is a town way down south of me where I am literally related to every single person....trust me, dating is SO not an option...LOL

Sweet Potatoes with Honey, Pecans, and Bananas

You can roast the potatoes and bananas ahead of time, then put it all together just before serving. Then heat it up in the oven.

5 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
4 bananas, unpeeled
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup honey
Kosher salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, put them in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Toss the bananas into the pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft. Remove the pan from the oven but don't turn the oven off.
When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Peel the bananas and add them to the bowl along with 1 stick of the butter, and the honey. Season with salt and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until everything's well combined and the mixture is fluffy. Spoon into an oven-proof serving bowl and smooth the top. In a separate mixing bowl, use your fingers to rub together the remaining stick of butter, the brown sugar, flour, and pecans until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the sweet potatoes and return to the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the crumbs are golden. Serve hot.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_35146,00.html

kyfriedchick1
11-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Wow... I'll definitely have to try that. It sounds wonderful.

I had a horrible day, y'all... seriously. I overdid the eating & haven't worked out yet & don't think I'm going too tonight. I didn't sleep well last night & am exhausted... hey, I just had a thought. (Could you see the lightbulb go off right then?) That could've been part of my reason for messing up so badly today... not sleeping well last night? True? Okay okay... no... it was me. It was all me. Let me show you what I ate... which was a considerably less amount that what I ate before changing my eating habits.

Bfast -- two hardboiled eggs -- had to have protein or else I eat all day long,
two cups of coffee

Drank water all day

Lunch -- went to Golden Corral with the boss man -- ate small'ish salad -- about a half cup lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers; two or three bites of chicken noodle soup; hamburger patty -- plain, no bun, no condiments, no cheese; ten or twelve shoestring fries; a tablespoon of stuffing; plain baked sweet potato; a roll; a cup of broccoli with a teaspoon of melted cheese; and a tiny slice of new york cheesecake; 1 1/2 diet pepsis

Had vowed not to eat anymore the rest of the day because that consumed all of my calories for the day, I'm sure. Took the kids to the in-laws so that I could go to class & SMIL (step mother in law) said "Stop & get pizzas on the way back & we'll have pizza since you didn't eat with us on T'giving." GRRRR... so I did. I had two slices of pepperoni pizza and one piece of cheese bread from Little Caesars.

Okay... so seeing it all written down it doesn't look as bad as what I had myself convinced that it looked like but I still hate that I ate that much. I know... tomorrow is a new day & I'll do better. I know that... I just hate that I messed up!!

sockmonkey70
11-27-2007, 02:16 AM
kyfried it doesn't look like you ate that bad!! You made good choices at the buffet, and controlled your portions of pizza. Life happens LOL.

OMG jtammy thanks for that recipe!! I can't wait to try it.

NightengaleShane
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm kind of a southern girl... I live in Florida, was raised in Virginia, and have lived in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi. I agree that grits are NOT supposed to be sweet... they're best with BUTTER! Sugary grits are just gross. I love fried things as well as things that are carbilicious. All "tasty" food is just not healthy and almost all good southern food is not diet friendly. :( DIET = Don't Imagine Eating Treats. I ate a whole bunch of fried things this weekend and while they were extremely tasty, I'm now trying to get back on track with the healthy thing.

I know that people say healthy food can be tasty, but I always find that most of it is kind of bland and that if it's a healthy rendition of a fattening favorite, chances are that it's going to be half assed. As my girlfriend would say, "Healthy food is for Yankees!" :lol:

NemesisClaws, that recipe sounds delish! :D

NemesisClaws
11-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Kyfriedchick: don't worry about it! The important thing is that you did try throughout the day to have healthy stuff, plus keep your portions in control. Pizza itself happens to be one of my trigger foods....I just cannot have one slice of that thang, so now whenever I do have it, I try to make sure it's thin crust to cut down on the calories a bit. Considering the prices on pizza these days, I should be making it at home....:)

I wonder...is anyone living in Georgia at the moment? How is the water situation down there? I haven't heard squat about it on the news lately....

jtammy
11-27-2007, 07:21 PM
kyfriedchick, don't be so hard on yourself. There isn't a success story on here that doesn't include some meals that were off plan and some times when life just happened and you had to do the best with what you had. Whatever you do, get right back on track and keep going.

Nemesis, that recipe sounds wonderful! Maybe not low calorie but it sounds divine. :)

The sin recipe that I mentioned is a layered dessert. It isn't something I care for, which is unusual in that I love most desserts. The bottom layer is flour butter pecans; the next layer is cream cheese and powdered sugar, then butterscotch or chocolate pudding, then cool whip. For some reason, I've never cared for the taste of it, but my family loves it, and my mom has to make it every holiday.

Hi Shane, I don't know if I agree that all good southern food is not healthy. Many people I know have home gardens and eat a lot of fresh vegetables. Tomatoes, okra, corn, butter (lima) beans, peas, greens, green beans. Growing up everyone I knew had a garden. These vegetables were considered staples of many meals and they were not high calorie choices. But nowadays, especially, they are paired with foods that are high calorie.

Does anyone have any traditional southern recipes that they have successfully lightened that they want to share?

Shaunanigans
11-28-2007, 12:38 AM
NemesisClaws- I'm from Atlanta. The weather here pretty much sucks. We're in a huge drought, but yesterday there were quite a few storms, strong enough to knock out power at least.

How about good ol' southern seafood? Are crawdaddies ok on calories? I know they're salty as anything, but I don't think they'd be too bad for you...

NightengaleShane
11-28-2007, 07:02 AM
crawdads aren't bad for you :D and there's actually nothing wrong with eating lots of salt, as long as you drink plenty of water.

most seafood is pretty healthy - low in calories and high and protein - it's the butter and the frying and the breading and stuff that makes it unhealthy.

as for the vegetables... yeah, when I lived in the deep south, a lot of people I knew had gardens, too... but I think any good southern girl knows you can fry just about anything ;) and it is true, the fresh vegetables are often paired with something unhealthy... ****, even salads can be unhealthy if you load them with too much high-calorie dressing and fattening toppings like cheese and crutons... *SIGH*

NemesisClaws
11-28-2007, 09:59 PM
NemesisClaws- I'm from Atlanta. The weather here pretty much sucks. We're in a huge drought, but yesterday there were quite a few storms, strong enough to knock out power at least.

How about good ol' southern seafood? Are crawdaddies ok on calories? I know they're salty as anything, but I don't think they'd be too bad for you...

Hey, thanks for the info! I get so frustrated with the media because nowadays, the focus is more on entertainment style of news rather than actual news we really need to know. Besides the storms, are there any relief in site? :(

Seafood has been the one area of food that I cannot stand. Guess that makes me an abnormal Southern gal...:D As for gardens, I would so LOVE to have one, but I don't have a yard really, so I have been thinking about getting some herbs for a mini garden inside....at least it'll save me some money on herbs since those suckers are expensive!

Shaunanigans
11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Unfortunately, I think we're in this drought for the long run. It was supposedly going to end sometime in spring, but we're now under the La Nina watch and its just going to make everything drier and drier. We're trying to conserve water by water restrictions and the like... But the sad reality is that we are really running out of water. And yeah, I have to find out all the important stuff online rather than actually watching local news. How sad is that?

Have you guys seen aerogrow dot com (sorry, I don't have enough posts yet...)? Its an indoor gardening solution! I really want to try it so I could keep fresh mint and chives in the dorm. But you also do veggies and things like that too... I wonder if its too gimmicky?

Jolly Molly
11-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Thank you, Mary for starting this thread! I'm orignally from Arkansas, but have been living in Switzerland for over 7 years now. I love it here, but I miss the South-- the people, the weather and the food!! The other night I dreamed about poke salet!:lol: My Granny used to make it with, what else, bacon grease.

It's hard to get the ingredients for Southern food here, so my Thanksgiving was nothing like the ones I grew up with. Thanksgiving is just another Thursday here, but I did make a special lunch for me and the kids: roast chicken (no turkey :(), dressing, cranberry sauce and green beans.

I'm so glad to have found this thread. It makes me even more homesick, but in a good way.:D

kyfriedchick1
12-01-2007, 10:11 PM
I absolutely love this thread. I find myself checking it before checking any of the other ones I frequent. So... I'm just popping in to keep myself accountable tonight. Not a lot to report.

Y'all got your Christmas trees up yet?

NemesisClaws
12-01-2007, 10:20 PM
LOL....my mother donated her huge tree to a local dry cleaners, and we're planning on having a much smaller tree this year....easier to manage and to decorate. Haven't bought it yet.

I keep checking out a few culinary cookware that I would love to have this year.....even went out earlier tonight to see if they were having any on sale.....:)

jtammy
12-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi ladies!

Shaunanigans, I've seen the infomercials for the aerogrow gardens before and thought it looked interesting for growing lettuce, herbs, etc, but it was pretty expensive when I looked at it. I've forgotten how much it costs, but I remember thinking that I wasn't sure it was worth that.

Jolly Molly, Switzerland! Wow, you're far from home. I've never actually had poke salet; my grandmother used to talk about eating it during the depression, but I always got the impression that she didn't have fond memories of it. :) What is it with us Southerners and bacon grease?

NightengaleShane, I meant to ask you earlier: what part of Mississippi did you live in?

Kyfriedchick, I put our trees up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I still haven't done any decorations outside yet. I like to have all of the leaves raked up before I put Christmas decorations out. DS raked again today (7 oak trees in the front yard and 6 in the back with numerous pine trees scattered around make a lot of leaves for raking). I'm planning to put a few things outside tomorrow after church.

Nemesis, Did you find the cookware you want?

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday.

NemesisClaws
12-02-2007, 11:11 AM
:) Had a coupon for Bed, Bath & Beyond, and got a few cookware from there. It's so rare that I actually get to this store, so it was a bit of a treat for myself and my mother....:)

They did have these measuring spoons where you had your normal stuff....1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, etc...but these spoons also had the additional 1/8 teaspoon and 3/4 teaspoon! I'm constantly having recipes that calls for these two, so I was really excited to find these and not have to guess anymore! LOL..the little pleasures we take in life....

jtammy
12-02-2007, 02:36 PM
:) LOL..the little pleasures we take in life....

LOL Yeah I understand. We splurged a couple of months ago and got a set of Henckel knives and I have really enjoyed dicing things lately. :)

gonzo walker
12-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Good morning, my southern sistas! JollyMolly, you reckon you could send some snow our way? Richmond, VA, please!

Connie:thanks:

kyfriedchick1
12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Good morning girls! Just thought I'd pop in with a little hello before getting started on my papers. It's finals week for me so I have a research paper, an annotated bibliography, a family tree, a presentation and three finals this week -- so I skipped work today! LOL

Connie -- I'm not sure about you, but it's supposed to snow here tomorrow night & Wednesday. I know we are a couple hundred miles away but maybe it'll make it to you as well.

Jolly Molly
12-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi everybody! Hope you're having a good day.

Connie, we don't have any snow right now, at least not where I'm at. It's been pouring down rain all day-- I'd be glad to send that your way.;)

Kyfriedchick, good luck with your finals and papers.

Every year Christmas kinda sneaks up on me, but this year I'm determined to stay on top of everything and avoid the rush. I got a lot of my Christmas shopping done today and I bought some Christmas cards, but I still don't have my tree up...

the slim me
12-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Good Morning everyone. Can I join? I was born and raised southern, a KY. girl. I live in the (oh my goodness) North now. But once a Southern girl, always a Southern girl. I read some of the posts and My mouth is watering. I have to admit, i cook like that too. But I have learned to love other kids of food too. Actually, I never tasted spaghetti untill I got married! And baked and broiled aren't bad either. But I keep a cup of bacon fat for my green beans. You wouldn't believe how people here eat them. They are still green and crunchy. Any good souther girl worth her grits know that green beans have to be cooked untill they are falling apart.

Good to talk to a group of Southern ladies, freda

gonzo walker
12-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Good morning, ladies! Just wondering: anyone else out there fans of Celia Rivenbark and/or Jill Conner Brown? In my opinion, "We're Just Like You, Only Prettier" and the Sweet Potato Queens series should be required reading for southern girls!

Here's wishing for snow. The weather guy on TV says it's coming down over Richmond, VA this morning but the air is so dry it's evaporating before it hits the ground. Anybody want to bet me a Power Bar that the phones at school will be lit up wanting to know if school is closed? We just don't know how to cope with even a hint of winter here! :lol:

Have a great Wednesday, all!

Connie

jtammy
12-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Welcome freda! hehe, I've kind of gotten accustomed to the taste of green beans NOT cooked so much. I guess DH has corrupted me!

Connie, I love the Sweet Potato Queen books. I'm an actually Tammy ;). Jill Conner Brown is from this part of Mississippi. I;m not familiar with Celia Rivenbark, I'll have to see if my library has her books.

kyfriedchick1
12-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Well girls.. my finals are FINALLY over! I have a month to relax & not worry about studying. Yay me! I can actually read a book for fun if I choose. I don't know that I will choose since I had to read so much this semester but just knowing that I can if I want is exciting for me! (Sad life, huh?)

Speaking of books, I don't know that I have read either Celia Rivenbark or Jill Conner Brown. Maybe that's something I should check into at the library. I have been doing my genealogy & have been at the library so much they know me by name! I have my mom's dad's family traced back to Scotland and Ireland. I think that's progress. Now if I could just figure out who my mom's mom's family is!

:welcome3: Welcome Freda! :hug: Where in Kentucky were you raised? I've pretty much lived in London (Laurel County) my whole life. Well, I lived in Orlando Florida for a while when I was a teenager. And I went to school in Pippa Passes in Knott County Kentucky -- the first time I went to college. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I love the south -- I love the mountains of Appalachia & knowing that is where I came from.

Connie, I know what you mean about a little bit of winter! We had some snow here this past Wednesday night. It didn't stick to the roads, just the yard, cars, and roof tops. Well, do you know that people were calling the radio stations Thursday morning (even though nothing stuck overnight!) to find out if there was school! Yeah, we get excited about our snow down here. LOL ;)

Well, I'm outta here. Church is having their Christmas dinner tonight & I'm fixing my FIRST EVER broccoli casserole! Wish me luck!

the slim me
12-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Good Morning Souther Sisters, I finished my 2 days at work and i'm off for a couple of days. I work 12 hour days so those days are pretty well shot.

KYFried, I'm from Harlan Ky. My mom just moved to Middlesborough and my niece lives in Corbin. So, not too far from you. Congrats on finishing your exams. What are you taking? I didn't go back to school untill my son graduated high school. I love reading, but i had to read so much that, after I finished school, I didn't read a BOOK for a year! i have regained my love of reading again, but it took me awhile!

Tammy, I'll have to admit i've never read those books either but i'll put them on my "must" read list.

Connie, i'm sending you some snow, express!!! All you want! We have an excess. My husband called me at work last evening. That may not seem like an earth shattering even, but it's the first time he's called me at work and i've been there for 15 years. So i was a bit surprised. he just wanted to warn me that the roads were a sheet of ice and to come an alternate route. So, would you like some ice too? Gladly send you some. Anyone???

Molly, How is the Christmas shopping comming along? Are you going to make me totally envious and tell me it's done?

youall have a wonderful day, Freda I'll talk to you tomorrow if "the Lord willing and the creek don't rise".

mom2jackandnick
12-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey fellow Southerners. I'm new here and just found this group. I'm glad others know what it's like trying to diet in the south. I've lived in North Carolina my whole life and I LOVE the South. Growing up everything was fried and we never had vegetables (except green beans cooked in fat back.) I'm starting to realize that I actually like some vegetables, I just didn't know it.

NemesisClaws
12-11-2007, 09:18 PM
:) When I came home from college and didn't finish because I ran out of funds, I literally was pooped! Didn't read for the longest time too, and only just this past year have I found my love of reading again.

Will be going back to my local college to finish up my degree this Jan, and hopefully I'm not still burned out on school. LOL

Been debating lately about joining the Americorps, simply because I want to help out, and because I need the funds at the end of it to pay off some debts from college. Think I'll sign up for it and see how it goes...

What is everyone going to serve for Christmas dinner?

jtammy
12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Just a quick fly-by to wish gonzo walker a Happy Birthday! :bday2you::bday2you: I hope it's a great day for you.

the slim me
12-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi GRITS, I was just on another thread and they were discussing how angry it made them to be called "Honey". I've got to admit, I call all my patients "honey". And where I'm from everyone calls you honeey, from friends to the lady who does your hair to the store clerks. Is this a souther thing? Do you get offended if someone calls you honey?

NemesisClaws
12-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Hmm...I'm not offended by it, but it does depend on who is calling you honey.....for instance, I have no problems with women doing it, but it depends on the guy and the circumstances. Honestly, I think us ladies tend to go a bit overboard in protecting our sensibilities....:)

jtammy
12-13-2007, 10:57 PM
No, I don't get offended. Mind you, I do think there are times when it is inappropriate.

My in-laws, who live in Oregon and Colorado, hate for my children to say "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" to them. However, I have taught my children that that is an appropriate response to someone older than them. For the life of me, I can't understand why you would mind for a child to say that to you. I have chalked it up to a "cultural difference" and my children still answer them in that way.

christih
12-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi ladies I thought I would say hello...I'm from Alabama, but currently living in Florida. I was born and raised in the deep south. And I to grew up on all that yummy fried food. We had a garden though so I did get in veggies but ofcourse they had lots of butter/fat/grease.
Anyways I will be hanging out in this thread some so I hope to get to know some of you =)

kyfriedchick1
12-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Good morning! Hope all y'all are having a great weekend & had a wonderful Christmas!

I'm back to posting after lurking... I was doing wonderful until my finals earlier this month & I got off track & slipped back into old ways. So now, finals are over... Christmas is over... I've gained 5 lbs.. it's time to get serious again.

How is everyone doing?

Diva
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
OH my goodness! I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread! I love that GRITS thang, Girls raised in the south, How cute is that?

I was born and raised in the South too! Born In Savannah, GA and raised there and about 10 yrs in Jacksonville, FL. Right now we live in East TN up in the smokey Mountains. it's beautiful here. I've been here 8 yrs. I was also raised up on Southern fried foods, butta, and bacon grease, lol! I was so sick of it though that when I moved out on my own I learned to cook some things differntly. At the time I was thin, addicted to exercise and was working out 6 days a week at the YMCA so I didn't wanna undo all I was doing. Then I proceeded in marrying a damn yankee and OMG! THAT sure didn't last, but I think I have a soft spot for them because my fiance' is a damn yankee too and we've been together for almost 6 yrs. I met him on the internet, hehe. Pulled him right out of my computer. We have WAY different ways of eating, but he's turned my onto some lish Yankee foods and vice-versa. Although he won't touch grits, lima beans or blackeye peas. Poor thing, he just doesn't know what he's missin but o'well, what can ya do? LOL! About the only thing we fry here is french fries. I can't seem to master the art of fried chicken so I have to go to KFC once in a blue moon for my "fix", So we mostly eat pretty healthy. Jesse (my dude) is a master chef on the grill so we like to eat a lot of grilled foods and I LOVE veggies so we do alright. But when we visit his family up in the Pocono's in North East PA, It's all about Pizza and cheese steaks and pierogies, oh and Hot dogs, he swears no one does hot dogs like they do up there and I am inclined to agree.

I can't imagine putting sugar or cinnamon in my grits, gross! LOL! Yankees...i tell ya, bless their hearts... hehe

mandyleigh
01-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey!! Just wanted to stop in and say a quick hello to all my southern girls!!!

Hope everyone is having a great 2008 so far!!

dawnsky
01-26-2008, 01:48 AM
:wave: Hello all! I just found this thread! My name is Dawn and I was born, raised and still live in Kentucky. Like most all of you, I too grew up on soup beans, corn bread, sour crout & weiners, gravy, fried chicken, grits, and all the southern delights. :^: This has made it extra hard for me to diet. When I call my mom and chat with her about my diet she tells me I should eat more, She's the mom who always made you finish your plate, let you lick the cake batter and made you home-made chicken dooties as we called them (just the crunchie breaded part of the chicken) It is a good thing that we did have a garden when I was growing up, so I love my veggies! :hun:

I just thought I would say howdy!

Oh and I don't get offended if someone calls me 'honey' Thats the southern way to greet people in my neck of the woods. :spin:

By the way, I am from Pikeville, Kentucky in Pike County. Not too far from some of you fellow kentuckians. :smug:

I'm glad I found this group. I'd love to make some friends. Have a fantastic Saturday!! :wave:

sweet fang
01-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Wow, I'm so glad to have found this thread. I married a man from East Tennessee and we lived there for the first 22 yrs. of our marriage before we moved to Ohio to start new jobs. I have a big soft spot for southern folks--they're just wonderful people. I learned about waving at everybody; that the two religions in E. TN were Baptist and football; how to say y'all correctly and later y'uns; that tubing was fun; and what a dark sky really looked like. That's just scratching the surface. And food? How about ribs? Kilt greens 'n onions? Sweet tea?

My grandma lived in Mt. Sterling, KY, and my mom of course learned to cook from her, and I think Grandma's the reason why Mom and I both keep a jar of bacon grease under the sink--there's nothing better for flavoring green beans among other things. The last time Grandma invited my husband and me to dinner, she had baked an apple pie with a crust that was to die for, it was so flaky and light. I asked Mom how she did that, and Mom replied that Grandma used lard. So here I am at 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet asking, does anyone make piecrusts with lard anymore?

shelbysmom
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
hey thought I'd try to bring this thread back to life!! I'm also from Kentucky!!I actually had thought about starting a kentucky thread, but I guess I don't have to now!!:D

NemesisClaws
02-10-2008, 03:36 AM
:) Welcome everyone!

Sweet Fang: Never heard of using lard for pie crust! But I'm certainly not surprised! LOL

Well, to give ya'll an update on little ole me....I'm currently enrolled at college for one class this semester, and I'm trying to get in my hour of exercise by taking the city bus to school and back. What with our very cold weather, it hasn't been feasible at times, so hopefully I'll be able to make that into a routine.

Had some unexpected development where my brother, his wife and toddler nephew had to move in with me, my mother, and another brother. So it's been a bit crowded lately. Unfortunately, my brother and his wife have very different tastes in food (meaning pizza, Mountain Dew, ciggies, and processed junk food in general), so everytime I make a healthy meal, they don't eat it, but then complain that the leftovers are taking up the room in the refridgerator. As a result, there's been a lot more temptation on my part just from seeing all this junk in the kitchen. I love them to death, but I'm hoping they find their own place soon. Some folks you can live with, and others you just can't.

Made peach/pear cobbler tonight....some nights I just love old fashioned recipes....:)

Diva
03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Southern Chickies! We can't let this thread get lost! So here's a quick:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t202/roni0467/Misc/bump1.gif

shelbysmom
03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Ok I know I haven't been on here for a month,BUT, am I gonna have to go recruit some southerners or what? LOL! This could be a really good thread if we could just getter started. I've been posting in another forum, but I would like to belong to a couple more, it's just getting into the groove of what everybody else is already talking about!! I love my forum I'm in now,not leaving there anytime soon!! I just think this thread has potential! where ya at girls?

elisarae
03-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I was born in Arkansas, lived there for 11 yrs then moved to Oklahoma until I graduated from High School and moved back to Arkansas & thats were i am to this day......