Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Question Yoga

I've never done Yoga. I know many people who take part in the free yoga classes at my work. It's a 50 minute yoga class offered three times a week for staff at my work.

I've received a LOT of suggestions about doing yoga after people see my stressful work life... and explain how good it would do me both mind and body.

It's deffinately something I would try... but my thing is... everyone that is telling me I should do yoga are all thin *haha*. Also, the yoga class is from 12 - 12:50p. My lunch time is 11:30 - 12p, and I cannot change it unless I want to come in at 6:30 in the morning, or stay later. It won't happen. I have to get the kids up at 5:30 to get them ready to drop off at sitters for 6:20 am. I catch my first bus at 6:35am - get to my exchange point at 6:40. This gives me my 20 - 30 minutes to walk to work (14 blocks). By the time I get to work, use the washroom then eat breakfast, it's time to open and start supervising tests.

I leave at 3:45 - takes 20 - 30 minutes to walk back to take the bus to get the kids by 5pm. I get home, make dinner, help with homework, clean dishes, get kids ready for bed and then crash myself.

I have NO TIME to go to the gym.

I've NEVER been flexible. Heck - I used to get sent to the principals office when I was in kindergarden because I couldnt sit cross legged like the other kids in the class. I've been signed up into gymnastics at school in elementary and was basically kicked out because I didn't have enough flexibilty to keep up.

Is yoga something that can help make me more flexible? Do you do yoga *at 80 or more pounds overweight*?

Any suggestions??
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #2  

Every persons flexibility varies, so its not dependent on the weight. Even those who do yoga for months may be more flexible than when they started, but not able to do the advanced poses like people on the yoga videos.

A good teacher will help beginners modify poses and those with injuries, etc.

You could always try it once. its not for everyone, you will see a few people take one class and never come back.. but I enjoy it.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 11-20-2007 at 08:02 AM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i think yoga is wonderful. I'm overweight and do it. Not everyone doing yoga is a stick. It will take a few sessions, but you will find that you become 1. more flexible and 2. stronger. Believe it or not...but yoga can give you a pretty good work strength wise. I love the deep stretches that you get from yoga. I also find its a great stress reliver. I would highly suggest trying yoga a few times. Remember, if you can't do a strech exactly...its ok. You will get better over time.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8.5"

I think most anyone could do yoga! You just need to modify the pose to make it work for you. All of the videos that I have give suggestions of how to do that. I've been doing the Yoga Zone videos and really like them.

Most libraries have videos you can checkout for free. You could also look at collagevideo.com On their website you can specify beginner videos and you can even watch clips of the videos.
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i have several yoga zone videos and i love them too. also you can check out yogotoday.com...they have free downloads too
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote