Vegetarian, Vegan & Raw/Living food recipes - Mushroom Gravey (from Veganomicon)

nelie
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
(Ps, yes I can spell Gravy)

2 cups vegetable broth
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1/4 cup flour (or 1/3 cup for thicker gravy)
2 Tbsp olive oil
10 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
1/4 tsp salt
fresh black pepper (several dashes)
1/4 cup white cooking wine

Mix the flour into the vegetable broth until dissolved and set aside

Preheat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Saute the onion in the oil for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute 5 more minutes, until mushrooms are tender.

Add the garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Saute for another minute. Add the wine and turn the heat up to bring to a simmer. Let simmer for about a minute then lower the heat and add the flour vegetable broth mixture. Stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.

just_a_dreamy1
11-19-2007, 07:49 PM
nelie - If I can ever inspire myself to pick up a pan :lol: I would love to try that! I used to like gravy, but I haven't had it since becoming a vegetarian.
Do you have a calorie count on it?

nelie
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
According to MasterCook, the entire recipe has 524 calories. I don't know how many servings it makes but it would seem that it makes at least 4, if not more.

just_a_dreamy1
11-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Have you made the recipe before? Does it tell how many cups it makes?

Thank you!

nelie
11-19-2007, 09:58 PM
No I haven't made it before so I'm not sure how many cups it makes but I'd imagine it is over 2 cups.

maryblu
11-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Onions are referenced in the directions, but not listed as an ingredient??? How much? This sounds great!

junebug41
11-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Woo hoo! Thanks Nelie!

tamaralynn
11-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Mmm sounds good. The only change I would make is to use real wine instead of cooking wine.

Cooking wine gives the food a strange flavor... I've tried different variations of recipes using cooking and real wine... and the flavor of the real wine always won hands down :)

You don't have to worry about the alcohol content, it will cook away.

nelie
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Duh thanks about the onion ! I will double check the recipe tonight but it said 1 medium onion but I can't remember if it was diced or sliced thinly.

jerzeezfinest
12-20-2008, 06:28 PM
This sounds like the recipe we had at Thanksgiving ... it was soooo good! Going to bookmark this because it's definitely something I want to keep in my toolbox.

Natasha629
04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
This sounds like the recipe we had at Thanksgiving ... it was soooo good! Going to bookmark this because it's definitely something I want to keep in my toolbox.
love love love mushroom gravy. Never had it vegan though. Will try.