Weight Loss Support - Im hungry ALL the time.

View Full Version : Im hungry ALL the time.

makinthechange
11-18-2007, 08:40 PM
This cant be normal! Today was one of the worst, but mostly..I feel hungry constantly..I havent eaten bad because of it, I stay away from the stuff that I shouldnt eat, and I eat the stuff that I should...but I eat all my "good" stuff because Im SO hungry. Im getting afraid that im not doing something right...am I not eating the right stuff?

Today I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, Fruit and cottege cheese for lunch, an orange and an apple when I got home..nothing I eat has satasfied me, and its driving me nuts..I want to cry, cause all I want to do is eat..I havent had dinner, but Ill probably have lentil soup or something.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything special that you do. I drink water all day, that doesnt help my hunger..I try to eat 3 meals, plus 3 snacks...

I just dont know what to do, and Im afraid Im going to give in and start eating to much, and the wrong things again.

mandalinn82
11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Have you thought about getting some more protein in your day? Oatmeal is very low, the cottage cheese helps, but having protein with each meal and snack can do fantastic things to eliminate hunger. My current favorite breakfast is to take 2 slices of light wheat bread (45 cals per slice), soak them in 1/2 cup egg beaters mixed with some cinnamon, and cook it as french toast. Delicious and enough protein to keep me really satisfied.

Was the cottage cheese fat free? I've also found that sometimes if I have absolutely no fat in a day (like your menu shown above), I get hungry. Small amounts of healthy fats are good for you, and help to keep you satisfied also.

In winter, a cup of tea sometimes satisfies me also. It is warm and somewhat filling and comforting.

makinthechange
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
usually I have my smaller meals for breakfast and lunch because Im at work and I can sign up for a salad or fruit and cottege cheese, but the only other options they have are bad for me..its easier for me to eat something higher in fat, or more substance for dinner cause Im home, and Im going to want to eat it anyways...so I usually save my semi bigger meal till Dinner, I know thats backwards,but I dnt eat anything super bad, and I dont eat past 6:30.

mandalinn82
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
It is OK to eat your bigger meal at dinner, but it won't help any with your hunger. Can you bring in your own food for lunch at work? Or special request not-so-healthy things to be healthier? I know that if I am low protein throughout my whole day, I end up hungry hungry hungry. Anything you can do to get more protein will help keep you satisfied.

baffled111
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
I'd be hungry too with a meal plan like that! Do you have a fridge at work? You could bring in some protein from home (grilled chicken breast or boiled eggs) to supplement your lunch and some snacks too: low fat yogurt, rykrisp or wasa crackers to have with peanut butter, chopped veggies and hummus. You're eating quite a bit of fruit, and that's ok, but you should try to add protein to them to help you to stay full and think about subbing some of your fruit for veggies. Veggies are often preferable to fruit--lower cal and higher fiber, so you can eat a larger volume and feel fuller. It might be worth shaving a couple of hundred calories off dinner to prevent this starvation throughout the day!

Get n healthy
11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
I agree with Amanda on all of the above.

The only thing i would add is adding some fiber. I eat LOTS of fiber. Makes me fill fuller for longer.

With the foods you listed above, i would be starving too. I cant eat stuff like oatmeal and cottage cheese without starving 5 minutes later. They have a little protien and fiber but not nearly enough, plus they have a lot of carbs. The snacks you mentioned are healthy, but carbish too. Try having some peanut butter with that apple. Then you will get protien, fiber, some healthy fat, and it will give your tummy somthing to digest. Or how bout some light wheat crackers with some laughing cow cheese? YUM. Or light string cheese?

I would definately make an effort to bring a lunch. And if you are going to have a fruit, add a protien to it.

For breakfast if i eat oatmeal i am starving a couple hours later. So how bout a Kashi cereal? I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch with fresh blueberries or strawberries at 6:30 a.m. and i am not hungry til noon....seriously. That cereal has some serious protien and fiber. Which gives you major staying power. If you cant get it at work and you have to eat at work, take it with you and keep it at work. That is what i used to do all the time.

Hope this helps.

EDIT ADDED: Ditto to baffled as well. We posted at the same time i think.

makinthechange
11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Im so scared that if I eat more of something of substance, Im going to go crazy and eat a lot..my self control isnt that great..in some ways I feel like not eating stuff completely helps me so i dont lose control.

Gamerchick
11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
If you're eating a bunch of diet foods, or fat free foods, they are purposely unsatisfying. Anything with the words "less sugar, less whatever, diet" mean that there's not enough of stuff in there to satisfy you. I've done a test before. I ate a diet version of something next to the regular version. I ate less of the regular version cause I didn't have the lingering feel of "I want more..."

Also, if you are heavier, then apples, bananas, fruit and the healthier foods aren't going to satisfy you if you're used to eating more. Also...you need foods that fill you up. So...I guess I would recommend eating some real food, just less of it.

rockinrobin
11-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Im so scared that if I eat more of something of substance, Im going to go crazy and eat a lot..my self control isnt that great..in some ways I feel like not eating stuff completely helps me so i dont lose control.

What do you mean by something of substance? Do you mean like chicken breasts? Or carbs?

Do you count calories? That's what keeps me in check. That's what sets my portion size. I also try to make just enough food for what I will be eating at that one sitting. I don't do well with extras, so making just enough for that one meal also helps to keep me in line.

You might want to try adding in some protein based, single portion snacks. Like a fat free/sugar free yogurt. I add in 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal to boost the filling power and the nutritional value.

You might want to try bringing along some veggies as snacks also. Baby carrots, grape tomatoes, string beans, a clemintine, grapes. You can put them in little baggies and eat them throughout the day. They're low in calories, but very filling.

makinthechange
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Im a vegetarian...so I dont do chicken breats anyways..maybe I need to start bringing snacks to work with me or something. I just had lentil soup for dinner..2.5 grams of fat, and 130 calories...that filled me up for now, but I know it wont last. I eat pretzils a lot to lessen the hunger...

whats "a clementine"

rockinrobin
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
A clemintine is in the orange family. It's tiny and about 30 calories.

Those snacks I mentioned is what I nibble on throughout the day and I tell you it really keeps me full and satisfied. They're much more nutritious and filling then pretzels. Maybe with the lentil soup you could have had a nice big salad. Do you eat fish? Tuna and salmon are very good protein sources.

mandalinn82
11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
130 calories isn't a lot to fill ANYONE up for much time, no matter how much fiber and protein it is. If you are working with 1300 calories a day, for example, you'd eat that amount of calories TEN times a day! If you are eating 3 meals that size, plus 3 snacks half that size (with size referring to calories), you're only eating at most 800 calories a day. It simply isn't enough to keep your body going!

You might want to check your calories for a few days. Maybe you're losing control because you aren't eating enough calories to keep your body happy. It is HARD to not be hungry under 1200 calories per day.

Pretzels are, basically, empty in terms of keeping you full...all quick-burning carb. Something with some protein and fiber would probably keep you full a lot longer. Maybe a bowl of fiber one with some soy milk or some other fiber/protein combination would work for you.

makinthechange
11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
I think that I just need to rethink this whole process. Ive been losing, and good..but I had a diet buddy(a friend of mine) who I thought knew what she was doing, and she had me and her eating no more then 10 grams of fat a day...is that not enough? we werent even counting calories...and no sugar...etc..so I have this idea in my head that if I eat over 10 grams of fat Im cheating.

mandalinn82
11-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Different approaches work for different people. For me, 10 g of fat a day, and not counting calories, wouldn't work at all. I make a whole wheat french bread with absolutely no fat or sugarin it...and about 1200 calories per loaf. I could NOT have a free pass to eat that bread, because I lose weight by keeping my calories at a reasonable level. Also, your body needs a certain amount of fat to function. Throughout my weightloss, I averaged probably 20-25% of my total calories from fat.

I would really recommend that you try a tool like FitDay to see what you are eating in terms of calories a day. It might be eye opening! Certainly if you aren't eating enough calories, that'd explain the hunger!

baffled111
11-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok, no, no, no, no! We need a serious re-evaluation over here!

Oatmeal for brekkie, fruit and cottage cheese for lunch, more fruit and then 130 cals of lentil soup for dinner? This is a recipe for disaster!!! You're starving yourself and that really is counterproductive for weight loss.

10 grams of fat is only 90 calories from fat a day (a gram of fat has 9 calories, protein and carbs have 4). In a 1200 calorie diet, that's about 13% of calories from fat--you can probably go as high as 20-25% without incident. But fat grams are relative. More important over all are your actual calories consumed and expended.

I recommend calorie counting. Go sign up for an account at Fitday or the Daily Plate and start tracking what you eat. Depending on your height, weight and age, you should be able to lose on between 1200 and 2000 calories a day. There is no good reason for you to be eating so little, really! It won't help in the long run (especially if you're driven to eating something as nutritionally void as pretzels to keep starvation at bay!) No starving!!!

makinthechange
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
well I wasnt trying to starve myself..I was just uninformed....now Im here and I can ask questions and get help :)

SunshineRunner
11-18-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree that you are eating far too few calories per day. I have about 200 calories for breakfast, a 150 calorie snack around 11:30, lunch around 2pm with about 500-600 calories, snack in the afternoon of 100 calories, and then dinner of about 200 calories, and dessert @ 100 calories....I actually find that if I eat a few more calories for dinner...it doesn't hurt my weight loss. I also focus on fiber as well...it really does make a difference, whether through fruits & veggies or through items such as Fiber One Cereal (which I'm not so secretly in love with). I'm rarely hungry throughout my day on this method and if I am, I don't have a problem grabbing a snack.

mandalinn82
11-18-2007, 11:30 PM
We know you weren't doing it on purpose. Forgive me if we were a little aggressive in saying you were starving yourself. If there is one thing I hate, it is when people feel like weight loss = deprivation. The greatest news for you - you can eat, and eat WELL, and still lose weight! I hate to see people starving, because you can't live your life starving, and it isn't at all necessary.

Stay here, ask questions, check out FitDay, and keep posting!

onthetee
11-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Lentils are such a great place to start. I swear, they are the perfect diet food. They are high in fiber and high in protein. You say that your feelings of being satisfied won't last after that soup, but lentils can go for several hours to keep you feeling full.

In addition to calorie counting, I also count fiber grams. If I am under 25 for a day, that is a recipe for unauthorized, late-evening calorie consumption.

Being veggie can make it hard to get the protein you need to lose weight and feel full. The legume family is your friend. Try adding beans to salads, soups and any other place you can think to throw a few in. You don't mention if you also are exercising, but if you are, ya gotta have the protein!

Good luck!

rakel
11-18-2007, 11:33 PM
I would definitely bring some nuts with you to work if you can! Or a slice of toast with peanut butter... or even peanut butter and a banana! Scrambled eggs with just a smidge of cheese and some fresh veggies (onions, tomatos, green peppers) with toast would be great for breakfast too! Make sure to get some whole wheat bread. Read the label to make sure there is no enriched flour in it, there will be more calories but it is more filling and will keep you full longer. In fact, I make all of my sandwiches with only one slice. I know Nature's Own makes a few different ones that I rotate between myself! I definitely agree with everyone else here: you should increase your calories. I generally eat between 1500 and 1600, and can lose on that (though if I stop EXERCISING then I will stop losing, which I have done for about the past month or so, so now it's time to kick back into gear ;)

Heather
11-19-2007, 12:40 AM
makinthechange, WELCOME!!! I can see from the posts and your responses that you're learning that it's no wonder you were starving on the plan you were on!

There are lots and lots of plans out there. Most of the successes I've seen here have come from plans that allow people to eat good amounts of healthy food. I'm a calorie counter, so that's what I've done, but weight watchers and south beath and other plans could work too. You might have to read about some and find what works for you.

In the meanwhile, take a lot of the suggestions to heart about bringing in more protein and fiber. If you're a vegetarian and like lentils, what about other types of beans? I make a red beans and rice dish that is essentially kidney beans, tomatoes, peppers, carrots and onions and serve it over brown rice. Unlike white rice, brown rice hasn't been stripped of all its nutrients and has more nutrients and fiber.

There's a lot to learn, but I think the first, most important lesson is that you can eat a fair amount of healthy food and still lose weight!

makinthechange
11-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Ive been so misinformed..now Im just not sure what im doing. Im so afraid that if I eat more then Ive been, I wont lose..or Ill fail..or Ill eat to much and not be able to control myself...

sigh

you guys have been a huge help..I need to re-evauluate this whole thing.

baffled111
11-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Don't be discouraged. We're not trying to be discouraging! It's good news really: more food, less hunger AND weight loss. It's all good. :)

If you're worried about feeling out of control, planning can help. Planning all your snacks and meals in advance allows you to count your calories to make sure you get the right amount, AND it can give you a nice feeling of control over your eating. At any rate, if you emphasize healthy filling foods in your diet, it shouldn't necessarily lead to binging--the opposite, really, because you'll feel more satisfied.

As to whether or not you'll continue to lose weight, that will depend. The meal plan you posted at the beginning is radically low-cal. You should definitely be able to lose on higher cals than that. BUT, you mentioned at one point that you snack on pretzels. Depending on how many pretzels you're having, that may be adding a significant number of calories to your daily intake. There are lots of calculators online to help you to figure out a rough estimate of how many calories you need to lose weight at a safe rate: but, as I said, that will depend on your height, weight, age and activity level. Play around with it. It's an exciting new day in diet-land: no more starvingness!

Ready2ShedLBS
11-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree with Amanda on all of the above.

The only thing i would add is adding some fiber. I eat LOTS of fiber. Makes me fill fuller for longer.

With the foods you listed above, i would be starving too. I cant eat stuff like oatmeal and cottage cheese without starving 5 minutes later. They have a little protien and fiber but not nearly enough, plus they have a lot of carbs. The snacks you mentioned are healthy, but carbish too. Try having some peanut butter with that apple. Then you will get protien, fiber, some healthy fat, and it will give your tummy somthing to digest. Or how bout some light wheat crackers with some laughing cow cheese? YUM. Or light string cheese?

I would definately make an effort to bring a lunch. And if you are going to have a fruit, add a protien to it.

For breakfast if i eat oatmeal i am starving a couple hours later. So how bout a Kashi cereal? I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch with fresh blueberries or strawberries at 6:30 a.m. and i am not hungry til noon....seriously. That cereal has some serious protien and fiber. Which gives you major staying power. If you cant get it at work and you have to eat at work, take it with you and keep it at work. That is what i used to do all the time.

Hope this helps.

EDIT ADDED: Ditto to baffled as well. We posted at the same time i think.

when you are a vegetarian most of your calories do come from carbs. The carbs she is eatting are perfectly acceptable ( except for the pretzels) the carbs chosen are complex carbs with have a low GI impact, and burn much slower. The problem she has, is she simply isnt eatting enough. I do agree that there needs to be more of a balance between fats, fiber, and protein.. but as vegetarians if you avoided carbs your would starve and die :)

JayEll
11-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Ready2ShedLBS, doesn't what kind of vegetarian you are make a difference? I have friends who range from vegan to lacto-ovo to fish eater to just non-red-meat eaters.

makinthechange, what type of vegetarian are you?

Jay

Get n healthy
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Have to agree with Jayell on this one. Which kind of vegetarian you are makes a WORLD of difference. Since she is eating cottage cheese, i assume she is not a vegan. Therefore, she is open to a world of protein. I was a vegetarian and i didnt have my diet consist of mostly carbs. I was/am a veggie freak, nut freak, cheese freak...i had very little carbs actually. Maybe some vegetarians can stay full on an apple or orange...but not me. i would have to have some peanut butter on that, which would make a great addition of protien. And, i dont know, but i think fruit is not THAT great for the glycemic index. My mother is diabetic and she is preached at constantly to never eat a fruit without a protien, to make the sugar in the fruit digest slower.
All i am saying is she needs some fiber and protien and you dont have to live on mostly carbs as a vegetarian. There are a WORLD of "mock" burgers, chicken, hot dogs...all kinds of stuff that have a great deal of protien now days.Tofu is another great one for a vegetarian, 3 carbs, but 12 protien.

hey makingthechange, if you are a vegetarian you might benifit from getting a few cookbooks for diabetic vegetarians. That is what i did when i didnt eat meat...it had some great ideas in it that were healthy and got me used to foods that i didnt even know about before. Or cooking light for vegetarians...but i found the diabetic ones to be a little more to my liking.

ennay
11-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I didnt have time to read the whole thread but in a nutshell

I used to be ravenous ALL THE TIME

Eating the way you describe would have just made it worse

Now I have it much more under control

I never ever ever ever ever eat a meal or snack without protein and usually some fat. Fruit by itself for me is an appetite stimulant. An orange means I will be twice as hungry as if I had eaten nothing at all.

Fruit for me is only at the END of a larger meal, never for a snack (except occasionally apples...with cheese or pb.)

10 g fat!!!! that is unhealthy!

I agree with the posters who suggest a diabetic diet for vegetarians. I went the south beach route, which is very similar, but is tough to follow for vegetarians without further help.

smills
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm so weird. I never get hungry. I am an emotional eater and I eat even though I NEVER and I literally mean NEVER feel hungry. I am counting calories, so I know I am not eating way more than I should, but I don't feel hungry at all, never hungry.

On the good side, I am down my first five pounds, just went below 250 and don't plan on going back. Less than a hundred pounds to go now!!!!

smills
11-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I do have to say about the 10g of fat a day, I went on a fat gram counting program where I could have 20g of fat a day and still dropped 30 pounds and six sizes in two months, so I think 10g is FAR too low. If counting fat grams is how you want to go, check out Joyce Vedral's bikini body book. She has an awesome plan in there for this type of program and I was never hungry on her plan.

nelie
11-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I am currently following a vegan, whole foods diet and when I am eating as I should, I'm eating tons of food and I'm feeling pretty stuffed.

I try to eat 2 salads per day, usually with beans but mainly a variety of vegetables.
My snacks generally include fruit and raw veggies
I eat a green smoothie in the morning (vegetables mixed with fruit)
I eat lots of cooked veggies and lots of cooked beans
I eat some starchy vegetables as well

My calorie distribution is somewhere around 70 carbs, 15 fat, 15 protein. My fiber comes out to around 50 grams per day.

If you are eating a lot of high fiber foods, nutrient dense foods and low calorie foods, you can get away with eating a lot of food.

So my recommendation would be just to make sure you are eating a variety of foods and make sure that you are getting the most bang for your caloric buck.

BattleAx
11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Count me in as another fan of protein, fiber, and fat.

When I first started, my only requirement was to eat within a certain calorie range. But, as time went on, I noticed that eating a lot of protein, bulk (in fiber) and some fat is the magic formula for keeping me full and satisfied. I still don't have any set guidelines about how much, just that when I'm hungry I have a better sense of what will fill me up and keep the binges at bay.

The other important piece of information I've gleaned is that eating enough calories is very important. I need to feel full and satisfied, and not desperate for food. Going hungry is a recipe for disaster. If I'm hungry, I listen to my body's signals, and I eat. I have been able to keep my calorie level fairly high and still lose weight.

makinthechange
11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
I am a non-fish vegetarian...so I eat dairy, but I dont eat any kind of meat, including fish.

when I eat pretzels..its not like I have a bag a day lol I eat them periodically throughout the week...

3Beans
11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
when you are a vegetarian most of your calories do come from carbs...as vegetarians if you avoided carbs your would starve and die :)

I also strongly disagree with this statement. To keep a healthy vegetarian diet, you may want to familiarize yourself with the range of vegetarian proteins, like:

Beans
Nuts
Tofu
Tempeh
Seitan/wheat gluten
Quorn brand products
Veggie burgers, crumbles, etc.
TVP (dried texturized vegetable protein)

And, for the non-vegan, also eggs and low-fat dairy like cottage cheese and yogurt. Add protein to snacks by eating fruits and veggies (or pretzels!) with hummus, peanut butter, or dips made with low fat yogurt or cottage cheese. Try ready to eat baked tofu in a sandwich with whole wheat bread. Throw veggie burger crumbles into chili or pasta sauce. Use Quorn as a substitute in traditional chicken recipes. Marinate tempeh for a few hours and grill or bake it, and serve it with brown rice or bulgur wheat and a veggie. Look at nutrition information on packaging and choose the version of the product you want with the highest protein for the calories.

You can get recipe ideas online at recipezaar, vegweb, cooking light, and many other sites. It's very possible to get adequate protein and not rely on carbs for calories as a vegetarian. It just takes a little extra attention. Good luck and enjoy!

almostheaven
11-19-2007, 08:50 PM
I was thinking to up the protein too. However, when I read what you'd eaten so far, and that you were just going to have a bowl of soup for dinner, I had to wonder how many calories you're eating a day. Doesn't even sound like you're getting 1200...which you shouldn't go below. But you could probably even have more than that depending on your height and weight.

makinthechange
11-19-2007, 09:22 PM
so how should I break up my calories..if I only eat 1200? should I eat 300 for each meal, and 100 for each snack?

and if I eat 1200 calories, and am active..I should lose? the normal person eats 2000 right? so 1200 is considerably less.

baffled111
11-19-2007, 09:34 PM
The calorie stuff really does depend on your height and weight: it's less a matter of what a normal person might eat (I, for instance, eat more than that to maintain my weight) than how many calories YOU can eat to maintain and lose weight. Have you had a look at any of the online calorie calculators to figure out your maintenance calories?

The idea with calorie counting is that 3500 calories = 1lb. So if you want to lose 1lb per week, you want to create a 500 cal/day deficit from the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight. For 2lb a week, you want a 1000 cal/day deficit. The deficit should ideally come from a combo of food restriction and exercise. So if your current maintenance calories are, say, 2200, you could eat 1500 a day, burn around 300 through exercise and still lose 2lb a week. Or, you could eat 1800 + burn 300 through exercise and lose a little more than a pound a week. The calculations never work perfectly, but they are a good place to start.

You might not need to go as low as 1200 to lose consistently, depending again on your height and weight. 47lb is going to take a while, and you want to do it sensibly so that you have a better chance of keeping it off.

You need to figure out how to divvy up your calories in a way that works for you. That might take some trial and error. The important thing is that you arrange the calorie distribution--and the foods that comprise your calories--in a way that will not make you feel super-hungry or tired and lethargic. That means lots of veggies and lean proteins and legumes throughout the day.

There's a great calorie-counting forum with tons of info here on 3FC. You might find it helpful to spend some time reading the stickies and the discussions to get a better sense of how it all works.

Mel
11-19-2007, 09:47 PM
There really is no such thing as "the normal person". That's a statistical construct, not a real person. The caloric level on which you can lose is based on YOU. Several posters have said "depending on your age, height, current weight and activity level". You haven't posted any numbers (and that's ok, some people are shy about posting their statistics) so we are guessing. I don't know many women who can eat 2000 calories a day without a lot of exercise without gaining weight.

Figuring out what you can eat is really a trial and error approach. There are calorie calculators, but none are 100% foolproof because every body is different. Your metabolism may be a little higher or lower than "average", your perception of moderate exercise may be higher or lower than "average"....

You look a lot younger than I am, but here's what I've found are my guidelines (I'm 53 and just a hair under 5'3"):
I can lose weight on 1400 "clean" calories with a lot of exercise. I do about 45 minutes of moderate to hard cardio every morning, and 45 minutes of weight training 4-5 days a week (and yes, I work full time). "Clean" calories for me are no processed food, no added sugars, no white starchy carbs, lots of lean protein, lots of fresh vegetables, a little fruit, healthy fats in the form of olive oil and natural peanut butter. I eat 5 meals per day and always have protein/fat/carbs at each meal. Because I feel better with higher protein and lower carbs, my ratios are about 45% protein, 25% fat and 30% carbs. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do eat a lot of egg whites in various forms and lots of cottage cheese.

If I lower my exercise or raise my calories above 1500, I gain.

Since you are heavier and younger, why not pick 1400 as a starting point and see how you do? I bet you'll lose, especially if you add some exercise. And if you carefully plan whole food meals with protein, carbs and fats, you'll probably feel like you are eating non-stop at first :)

Welcome to 3FC!

Mel

makinthechange
11-19-2007, 09:51 PM
ok...so according to this calorie counter I found I should be eating 2325 calories to maintain my weight...so in order to lose 2lbs a week I should eat 1325? so Im safe with 1200 a day, and can go a bit up on some days?

Ill read around thanks..but is that the basic idea?

I am 25...5'3" and 197(that pic is an old one) and I excercise (I think its cardio...sit ups and squats and stuff??) 30 minutes a night(thinking of doing 30 minutes twice a day) and walk a mile ever other day.

baffled111
11-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Well the exercise counts in the creation of the calorie deficit, so probably you could lose steadily at 1500, probably at around 2lb per week. Why eat less when you can eat more? Just don't drop below 1200 on a regular basis--your body needs all the nutrients.

We don't want you to be hungry any more, so choose your calories wisely. :) Veggies, protein, lite dairy, etc etc.

Good luck!

(Cardio is your walking, running, swimming, elliptical training, etc; squats, sit ups and the rest have a cardio component because they do get the heart rate up, but they fall into the general category of strength training.)

JayEll
11-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Oh, and also, 3FC has a vegetarian forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=121

Have you tried using a computer tool like FitDay to track your intake and calorie burn? www.fitday.com. There are other good sites as well--The Daily Plate is one.

For exercise tips, try the 3FC Fitness forums:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Jay

almostheaven
11-20-2007, 12:06 AM
At your height and weight, I'd suggest starting out at something more around 1500 to 1600 calories a day, especially if you're active or exercising. If you go too low, you could stall your weightloss. It's not always as simple as well...if I need to lose 3500 to lose a pound, I just drop my calories down as low as I can possibly bare and meet that 3500 goal faster. There is more to it than that. The body will have a way of compensating if it feels you're trying to starve it. You can always try 1600 first, then adjust down 100 calories for a week and see what happens. Find the place that works best at keeping you satisfied AND losing weight.

gailr42
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Makinthechange, I can see that you are working very hard on this! I think you have gotten good advice. I especially agree with the calorie counting suggestions because it sounds like you aren't eating enough. What I want to do for myself is to learn to eat in a way that I can sustain for the long haul. I have tried starvation diets, and they work, but here I am back again because I didn't keep the weight off. We don't want that, do we?