100 lb. Club - Do you think you are/were addicted to food

missy3gal
11-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I noticed that Lillian mentioned that she is reading a book on food addictions. For the past year I've felt strongly that for me, food is an addiction. That is, I need the chemical change the food brings about. I just borrowed a book on this topic from the library--well, I think that's what the book is about :dizzy: based on the description. I'm going to start it later today. Just wondering what you all think about this for yourself (or is this a topic that should be in another forum?)

Trazey34
11-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I've often wondered about it too! It always annoyed me when people assume all fat people (especially women) had a traumatic childhood or were abused in some way -- hey, I just happen to LIKE FOOD AND HATE EXERCISE! hahaha

For a LONG time I thought I was addicted to "whites" and "chocolate" but I can't imagine any other addiction where it's kinda gone in 3 days so I think I used it as an excuse -- in MY case only of course! Lots of people can get addicted to lots of things, so why not food?!?

I've stopped making excuses for myself, and "grew up". And the once self-proclaimed chocolate addict had a case of chocolate bars in the house for 3 or 4 months and never touched 'em and then gave it all away after hallowe'en

That being said, I'd never be so arrogant to presume that I'm "cured" not that there was anything more than denial and laziness to be cured of LOL, I'm always constantly vigilant not to slip back into old patterns, not do the easy and familiar, to be strong and when i'm NOT strong - to fake it til it clicks in LOL

I'm really interested in what other folks' experiences have been - neat thread

JayEll
11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I have some foods that I can't have in the house, because if they are here, I will eat them until they are all gone. :hyper: And that's like an addiction. Mostly they are carbohydrate foods, especially mixed with fats.

I've gotten so I can have some of these foods back in the house, although I have to portion them out ahead of time and restrict myself to a serving. An example is tortilla chips.

With others, notably ice cream, I may never be able to have it in the house again. That's OK. If I have to have it, I can go to an ice cream store and get an appropriate serving.

Jay

Get n healthy
11-17-2007, 05:20 PM
I am extremily addicted to foods. I have an addictive personality though, so i am always addicted to something. When i was younger and would date a new guy, i would get addicted to him and forget all about food. When i have a vacation coming up, i get addicted to that and forget all about food. When i am dieting, i get addicted to that. I weigh constantly, exercise a lot, etc. But whenever i get bored and have no other addications that scream for my attention, i always fall back on food. So food is my default addiction i guess.

It is terrible though. I am just like any drug addict out there. I will make sure i have money for my fast food. I make sure i arrange my errands to times when i will finish them up around a mealtime...so i can swing by the food place on my way home. When i finish one meal, i fixate about what the next meal will be. It is disgusting and just like a drug addict constantly looking for that next fix. It is embarrasing and harbors all kinds of shame. Just as drug addiction does. I hate it. But it has been a condition i have had since childhood. So i guess it is like those alcoholics that go to an AA meeting, after 20 years of being sober, they still say, "hi, name is So and SO and i am an alcoholic". I used to think, no your not, you have been sober for years. THen i lost 100 pounds, only to gain it back. And i learned and understood, why after 20 years of sobriety...they still know that deep down, they are still an alcoholic. No matter how many times i lose weight, or how many times i put it back on...i will always have a weakness and addiction to food.

I would love to read a good food addiction book. I dont know if it would help me though. I mean, i know i have an addition. I just dont know how to break that addition for good.

nelie
11-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I am addicted to food, I've just learned to control my addiction somewhat and I too can't have certain foods in the house.

sharonrr1
11-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I definitely have what I would call trigger foods. I am not sure it is an addiction or not. But I try not to start with those foods because then I won't stop until they are gone.

gggirls
11-17-2007, 07:06 PM
When i finish one meal, i fixate about what the next meal will be.
I would love to read a good food addiction book. I dont know if it would help me though. I mean, i know i have an addition. I just dont know how to break that addition for good.

I soooo understand thinking about what the next meal will be - even when I am eating healthy - I have at times thought that is because of my perfectionist personality - have to know whats coming up. I don't do that with other areas that I am also a perfectionist in though so I've been thinking about food addiction.

I also would like a suggestion on a good, easy to ready book on the topic - not covered up with all the scientific data.

kasmin
11-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I definitely have trigger foods that I am addicted to. There's no such thing as one tortilla chip (or in fact any kind of chip) for me. One book that really helped me think about my trigger foods was "Why Can't I Stop Eating?" It's because of that book that I kicked out a few more foods than previously (in this case, caffeine containing things. Who knew it could be such a trigger?:dizzy:). Kicking out the trigger foods has definitely made a big physical difference to my cravings;)

Purplefirefly
11-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I have a food addiction, and what has helped me recently was a line that Dr. Phil says all the time: What is the payoff? He says that everything we continue to do has a payoff, that is why we keep doing it despite negative consequences. I didn't hear him say this related to food, but I just started thinking over the past week what my payoff is for eating bad foods and binge eating. It is doing something for me, or I wouldn't be doing it.

I have done a lot of journaling and realize that it is my comfort, my best friend. the least bit of stress and I turn to food. Someone upsets me or my children drive me nuts...food. Happy times, something to celebrate...my mind always turns right to food. It distracts my mind, gives me something pleasurable to focus on, and don't think about the bad things going on while I am stuffing my face. Then after a binge I'm too sick to think about anything else. I feel there may be more to it, but that was a big revelation to me, though probably obvious to others.

I have trigger foods that turn on cravings for me, the main one being sugar. The least big of sugar and I get intense cravings for more and more food, usually carbs. I cut that out as much as possible now.

julzchiki
11-18-2007, 04:12 AM
I've been thinking about this in myself as well. Am I a food addict? Yes, I want to say yes. Partially because if it was just an interest in food then it would be easier for me to turn on and off my desire to eat. But I say it's an addiction, because sometimes I go into this numb place (see my blog) and just eat purely for the action of eating. Sometimes, I don't even really taste the food or enjoy it but I eat because it's in front of me, I'm bored, I'm avoiding something that requires my attention, I'm afraid or stressed about something, or I'm needing it to fill a void in my life.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out and if there is validity to food addiction as a clinical issue. I think it's an eating disorder. It's like anorexia but in the other direction.

Isn't it odd that our minds allow us to find comfort in food when we know we really can't.

rockinrobin
11-18-2007, 08:11 AM
I believe there is a STRONG possibility that food and overeating it, is an addiction. And therefore that I was/still am "addicted" to it. But like all addicitions, it CAN be controlled. Yes, it's darn difficult, but it IS doable.

Of course what makes food even harder to control and manage, IMO is the fact that we still need it in our lives every single day, several times a day. Cigarettes and alcohol and other drugs can be completely removed from ones lives, whereas food is actually REQUIRED, making it that much more difficult to control :(. Difficult, yes - but it's doable.

tamaralynn
11-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I remember posting something a while back about how quitting smoking (which is a true addiction to nicotine) was actual easier than trying to eat healthier.

I agree that eating junky food is like an addiction. Once your body gets used to it, you actually go through a "detox" stage when you stop eating it.

LaurieDawn
11-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Yes. I think that food is an addiction in the same way that drugs and alcohol are addictive - both physically and psychologically. And yes, I believe that I suffer from that addiction. I also believe that it is in my power to control that addiction. But it can be so difficult.

KnCmamma
11-18-2007, 11:34 AM
...I say it's an addiction, because sometimes I go into this numb place (see my blog) and just eat purely for the action of eating. Sometimes, I don't even really taste the food or enjoy it but I eat because it's in front of me, I'm bored, I'm avoiding something that requires my attention, I'm afraid or stressed about something, or I'm needing it to fill a void in my life.

This is me to a 'T'. I eat because it's there, I eat because I'm bored, I eat because I constantly think about food and what's on the menu for the next meal, I eat to fill voids, I eat because I'm stressed, I eat because I think I am hungry even when I am not. What I really need to do is turn my focus around...instead of grabbing food when I'm stressed or bored I need to get on the Elliptical(which is collecting dust right now) and kick my big butt into gear and take of the weight and become a healthier me.

Lyn2007
11-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I think I have a binge eating disorder and I have some bad habits with turning to food for comfort. I do have a physical drive and reaction if I eat sugary or fatty carby foods, but I call that a binge eating disorder and not an addiction.

valpal23
11-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I've been told I have an addictive personality.. which rubbed me the wrong way at first but I can see truth behind it.

I find something that makes me feel good and go overboard with it. Whether it be shopping, buying high end makeup, buying earrings... eating crap.. or the extreme like the starving I did during highschool. I'm addicted to comforting myself. Now when I have rough days, I treat myself with a lean cuisine or subway as my meal.

So... I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to food.. among other things.

nylisa
11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I have addictive tendencies with food. I can't keep trigger food in the house at all (chocolate candy, cookies, chips & ice cream for me). I will eat it all until it's gone and too much, too often. If I really feel an urge, I will buy a small serving of it. But I make myself have to go out of my way for it and watch the portions carefully.

kaplods
11-19-2007, 04:59 PM
In college, especially graduate school, we were taught to not consider eating disorders, or even most substance abuse as true addictions for a host of reasons (mostly technical and boring). However, I think there are many parallels between substance abuse, shopping and gambling addiction (also not true addictions by a strict definition) and other compulsive/dysfunctional behaviors.

I've used food to self-medicate, and in some ways still do, but in a more responsible way (for example cranberry juice for a uti, but not chocolate for depression).

I don't yet know if there are foods that I will have to avoid completely for the rest of my life, but I do think there are probably foods that I will never be able to bring into the house in large quantities. Changing what I eat has also changed my tastes, and as I further improve my food choices, I'm sure it will continue to. I feel less compelled to eat when I eliminate processed sugars and white flour, and am careful with natural sugars and starches.

Lannae
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
For me...it sure felt like it!!!!!!I couldnt imagine them saying no..

When I moved to this town about six hours or so away from my original home,I had no friends so my day would consist of going up town driving around and then hitting the local McDs or their Dairy Queen..and I had no life so this became regular...that was about 12yrs ago,it started slow,and now..I will plan a trip up town to go shopping for food,sure I say I need milk but my real plan is buying crap..especially ice cream...I can NOT have this in my house,or anything chocolate...and..its always in secret...I use to avoid seeing friends except a visit to McDs or D.Q,and ice cream,they were my friends,I didnt have to dress up,have them look at me,or question my added 10pds,and it felt good WHILE I ate it,not after...Its sad...it is still a constant struggle..now if I treat,its on the weekend,and I found yogurt swirl bars,that are to die for with only 85 cal,and only 2gr of fat...so if I do eat more than one or two,its not as bad..and once again only on weekends...HEY I have to start off slow with this..lol..

but yes...I do feel as if Iam addicted to food...only because I have allowed myself to..

how sad is that...I chose this???ugh...but...I am becoming more aware..another ugh..

Lannae:dizzy:

Sandi
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I've used food to self-medicate

This is TOTALLY what I do. Food has a purpose, to help me celebrate, to make me feel better, to give me something to do.

Do I think I'm addicted, sure do. I use food the way someone would use alcohol or nicotine. I also think it can be controlled. Unfortunately, There are certain foods that will automatically make me crave junk food. If I stay away from that kind of food, my cravings are lessened. It's getting off those foods in the 1st place that can be the challenge.

sockmonkey70
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes yes and YES

Dawn2Dusk
11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
*Sigh* I'm addicted to food big time. I really don't have any underlying reasons why I eat so much. I just love food. A lot. And I love the feeling I get when I eat food. Sometimes I wish I was constantly depressed since that's the only time my appetite seems to vanish.

AuntChuChu
11-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I also think I am addicted to food. I have absolutely no resistance to any food, I like everything. I don't eat alot at meals, but I munch all day. I have low blood sugar if I don't eat some things, especially after eating lots of sweets. I need fun in my life to take the place of boredom and stress. My days are all the same, work, prepare meals, clean up, watch TV, go to bed. I need a distraction, my husband is a workaholic, but also his job requires lots of home time working. Help!

Beverlyjoy
11-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Yes, I most definately think I am addicted to food! It has been my reaction to almost all feelings and happenings in my life for many, many years. I think it's one of the hardest addictions to overcome because it's all about choices. One can quit smoking, drugs etc and never touch those things. But, we all have to eat and ultimately make good choices (if we have health concerns).

kimmieone
11-26-2007, 10:49 AM
No, I love to cook and eat. I don't try and analyze it too deeply. Sometimes I find that with myself that if I keep it simple things work out better. The more spin I try and put on pass eating habits the more I feel I have a excuse. I found as long as I stay full with high quality foods, and let myself enjoy things I love in a reasonable amount I lose weight and feel better physically.

We are all addicted to food by nature because we have to eat to live. Above and beyond that I think some people are addicted to volume, or a particular type or kind of food.

GirlyGirlSebas
11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Yes, I'm addicted to sugar. If its in my house, it calls my name all day long. I'm especially vulnerable to sugary carbohydrates...ie, cakes, cookies, cereal,etc, when I'm tired, depressed or anxious. The irony is that eating the sugary carbohydrates makes me feel depressed and sluggish.

Dumplin
11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I am no different than the person who is addicted to drugs,the wino or the smoker. I am addicted to food. All these addiction will kill you if you don,t get them under control. I do have an addictive personality and so did Elvis Presley. It is legal to buy food making it really easy to get my fix. You can live without drugs but we have to have food to live. We have to learn a healthy balance when it comes to food and stay on plan.