Weight Loss Support - Worried about post weight loss body

Bizzy B
11-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't like my body now, I hate going shopping, nothing ever fits right etc. I want to lose a lot of weight, perhaps even more than my current goal, we'll see, but I guess I've gotten kind of use to my body as well.

This is what I'm worried about: After I lose all this weight, what's giong to happen to my skin? Am I going to have all this lose skin hanging around? What about my bust? They're probably the only thing I really like about my body. I'm a 40D and I understand that they'll decrease in size, that's fine, I'll look porportional, but are they going to be all saggy? What can I do to make sure? I've been big all my life and I've never lost this weight so I have no idea what's going to happen.

nelie
11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
The body image forum is a great place to learn about such issues.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

There is no real way to tell how you will look after you lose the weight. Everyone says that you can't see anything out of the ordinary in clothes and others report having no loose skin while others report having a lot of loose skin. Loose skin also tends to get better with time so even if you lose 100 lbs in a year, it may take a couple years for your skin to catch up with you.

I've lost 150 lbs and loose skin is a problem for me but then again I was 300 lbs or over for 15 years and was always fat. Also I don't think my genetics were beneficial either because my mom also has loose skin from gaining some weight and being pregnant twice.

mandalinn82
11-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Bizzy B - have you checked out our "Body Image After Weight Loss" forum? There is a whole "sticky" thread devoted to skin after weight loss.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

I've lost 133 lbs, and yes, I have some loose skin. It hides easily in clothing, a LOT more easily than the fat did! Some people opt to have it removed surgically after weight loss if it makes them uncomfortable. I'm not planning to go that route, because while it bothers me, it doesn't bother me enough to undergo surgery. It is worst on my stomach and my inner thighs.

Bizzy B
11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks you two, I'm going to head to that forum now and read up on it. I suppose that some loose skin shouldn't really bother me, considering the other options of staying this weight, like having a heart attack or something. It's just, I would love to feel comfortable naked, for once in my life. To me, that feeling would just be so amazing.

horsey
11-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Isn't it like losing weight after a baby? I was over 200 lbs with my boy, of course some of that was him, I don't think my stomach will ever be the same again. How about the movie stars that lose weight after babies, do you buy it? Or is it plastic surgery? Stomach don't reallly look like that after being stretched out pregnant do they?

Bizzy B
11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I have no idea. Maybe it's all toning? Maybe it is surgery.. it's hard for me to trust anything i see on TV. I just don't want to feel ugly after I lose this weight. Even though I'm really heavy, I don't feel ugly, I just feel fat.

I think I'm worrying too much.

witchyonadiet
11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
You should definately check out the Body Image Forum. I have lost over 100 and have TONS of loose skin and will NEVER look good - or even decent naked - but I would never go back to the weight I was at before.

almostheaven
11-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Loose skin will be dependent on your age, how long you've been fat, how elastic your skin is (younger skin is usually more elastic). Some toning exercises during loss can help it. Also massaging with lotion on a consistent basis has been known to cause some improvement. Regardless, naked or not, you either MAYBE have SOME loose skin you're not pleased with, or you have ALL fat sticking out and easily noticeable, that you're definately not pleased with. Being dressed makes the loose skin even more appealing than the fat. Cause you can hide it under clothing. And you can always have surgeries to fix it later.

Bizzy B
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm 23, so hopefully my skin will be elastic enough to bounce back. Plus the bulk of my work out will be callesthenics which I hear is great for toning.. hopefully things will work out. But I guess I'd rather have loose skin than a bunch of fat in the long run. I'll make sure to keep posted and if I find anything helping I'll let everyone know.

MariaMaria
11-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Maybe I am losing so slowly that the skin is getting use to it as I go along.

And maybe you're just lucky plus you didn't have all that much to lose.

I think it's great that you're ending up in a body that you think looks good.

But there appears to be no relation between how fast you lose the weight and whether (or how much) your skin bounces back.

Shy Moment
11-17-2007, 11:04 AM
I really have no idea. I thought maybe because I was losing slowly that was helping. My sister and mother at one time lost lots and lots of weight and they didn't have much lose skin when they were done. Might just be in the genes who knows. No, I don't have to lose as much as many people but 78lbs is a lot of weight to lose on a short small frame like mine. Hope the skin keeps doing as well as it is doing.

nelie
11-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Well it is true that your body takes time to adjust to your weight loss so loose skin may be less noticeable if you lose slower but overall loose skin is generally the same given the same amount of weight loss on the same person for the same period of time. Meaning, if you lose 50 lbs in 6 months as opposed to losing 50 lbs in a year, you should have the same amount of loose skin at the end of year 1 and after year 2, you might again have a noticeable difference and again have the same amount of loose skin, no matter how fast you lost the weight in year 1.

It is one reason that plastic surgeons will generally recommend you wait a year after having lost weight so that your skin will bounce back a bit on its own.

Skinny4baby
11-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I heard a plastic surg. say on Oprah one time that after weightloss your skin is going to do what it is going to do by the 7th month mark?

nelie
11-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Shy,

You actually lose muscle (and other tissues) no matter how slow you lose the weight. You can do things to minimize the muscle loss, especially by doing weight training but it happens unfortunately. Part of it is because your body needs less muscle to support itself when you weigh less.

modkittn
11-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm 27 and have gone from 220 to 160. I haven't had many issues, mostly just stretch marks. But it really differs from person to person, and it definitely helps that you are younger. Good luck to you! Its also good to see another Rhode Islander on here. Sometimes I feel so lonely!

hotmama2three
11-18-2007, 01:55 AM
What about the cellulite/ jiggly appearance. Does that diminish w/ weight loss?

JayEll
11-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey! Good morning all!

The so-called cellulite may be loose skin. The jiggly part might also be loose skin. All of these things improve with time--usually longer than it takes to lose the weight. That's why it's so important to maintain one's weight, once you get down. If a person just regains quickly, then that "skin suit" just fills right back out.

Being afraid of what the body will look like post-weight loss can be just another barrier to losing! One of those "but if... but if... but if..." things. Certainly younger people are concerned with appearance--but bodies change with age and living, regardless of weight issues. For me, I know I'm not going to have a bikini-ready teenage body! That train left the station a long time ago. That's why my primary concern is health issues: Avoiding diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, joint problems, etc.

Good luck!

Jay

Rafaella
11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi.. I have a few strech marks specially in my chest, IŽve only lost 8 pds so I donŽt want to think what will happen after 50, but some people have told me that using pre natal creams help and Mederma is great for strech marks. We donŽt have Mederma in Chile but IŽll try to get something similar!

A little question that maybe goes in the exercise forum, but as youŽve talked about it here IŽll just ask, when you talk about strenght training what do u mean? Is it weight training? I mean, I just started doing abs, squats, push ups, sit ups (and others but donŽt know the name in english) what is that called? I mean the "category" of exercise

nelie
11-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Rafaella,
Yes squats, push ups, etc those are all strength training or weight training.

Also, there are some things that can help with stretch marks if they are new (red) but once they are old, we are stuck with them. I have stretch marks all over and they don't really bother me.

Meg
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Weight training = weightlifting = strength training = resistance training = toning. They're all the same thing. :)

And they're all very important for preventing or reducing muscle loss during weight loss. But very light weights won't work for muscle building. You need to stress the muscle by reaching muscle fatigue in a period of about 60 - 90 seconds in order to maintain and build your muscle mass. What that means is that you do a set of an exercise (10 - 15 reps, for example) with a weight that is heavy enough so that you can't do another one once you get to about 15 reps. That's called muscle fatigue or muscle failure and that's the goal for strength training.

Mel
11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Another is to make sure you use very light weights in your weight training

I think you read that backwards! Very light weights will do little for you other than use up time. The only way to build muscle (and maintaining muscle is the same process) is to fatigue your muscles enough to cause them slight damage. The healing process that takes place while you rest and feed them nutritious fuel is what creates muscle growth.

Even if you only want to maintain the muscle that you have, the process is the same. If you don't use them enough to fatigue them, your muscle mass will naturally atrophy whether you are losing weight or not. Maintaining muscle mass is a constant process of regrowth to combat the natural atrophy. Without the muscle, you'll become fatter even thought the number on the scale may not change :o

Mel

timkerbelle
11-18-2007, 03:00 PM
There is something I have been thinking about when it comes to loose skin after weightloss. I've seen a couple of programs on tv, for instance extreme makeover, where they help someone with a skin removal procedure, and very often the person has indeed lost a lot of weight, but there is still a fair bit of subcutaneous fat.
Has anyone else ever reflected over this? I'm just thinking that if you still have a lot of that fat, the skin will be "heavy" and in a "bigger size" than when you were overweight, and therefore it will sag a lot more.
I don't know if this sounds like nonsense, but to me it makes sense :p
I guess what my point is, is that maybe its a good idea to focus on body fat to make your skin "thinner" and then do weigths to fill up with nice toned muscle rather than fat.

Smiling_Sara
11-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't like my body now, I hate going shopping, nothing ever fits right etc. I want to lose a lot of weight, perhaps even more than my current goal, we'll see, but I guess I've gotten kind of use to my body as well.

This is what I'm worried about: After I lose all this weight, what's giong to happen to my skin? Am I going to have all this lose skin hanging around? What about my bust? They're probably the only thing I really like about my body. I'm a 40D and I understand that they'll decrease in size, that's fine, I'll look porportional, but are they going to be all saggy? What can I do to make sure? I've been big all my life and I've never lost this weight so I have no idea what's going to happen.

I'm kind of worried about that as well, but I know that losing the weight will make me feel better physically. I have noticed that I think my breasts have actually been perkier, albeit it could just be my imagination, but I am smaller chested anyway. Right now i'm a 44B.

JayEll
11-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey timkerbelle,

It is normal, especially for women, to have some subcutaneous fat. So I don't believe the issue is getting rid of all of that.

The muscles lie below all the layers of the skin, including the subcutaneous fat layer. Toning the muscles helps to support the skin, but it doesn't eliminate fat in the skin. It does, however, help eliminate fat in the muscles.

I believe that liposuction is used to remove large deposits of subcutaeous fat. It's a separate procedure from skin removal surgery.

Jay

baffled111
11-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't think anyone is offended; your info just is not correct. No harm done. :)

JayEll
11-18-2007, 07:52 PM
No offense at all, Shy Moment! Thank you for posting the information. And actually, for a woman who has not used weights before, 2 to 5 pound hand weights is enough. To start with more than that could risk injury to tendons. If using Nautlilus-type machines, I think the lowest you can set them to is 15 pounds--maybe 10--but that's using both arms at once, so that's OK.

The number of repetitions is usually 12 or 15 per set. One set is usually enough to start. Some muscle soreness, if a person is just starting out, is to be expected, even with light weights. But it shouldn't be severe.

At the Y and other health clubs, you can usually get a free training session in how to use the weights correctly. Always work with an experienced, trained person. A boyfriend is not the best resource for this unless he's a professional trainer. ;)

Cheers!