100 lb. Club - the worst time of the day

View Full Version : the worst time of the day

kasmin
11-16-2007, 02:38 AM
I wish that I could somehow remove the hours 3pm to 5pm from every day. Without a doubt, these are totally the worst hours for me. No matter what I do or what I eat (or don't eat:p), i always want to eat a totally bad snack at this time. Hence this thread. I decided to write about it this time instead of actually stuffing my face. Whew, I can only hope that eventually it will get easier. Anyone else find this period of time a doozy?

hellokitty81668
11-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Friday and Saturday after 5 pm-9pm is the bad time for me, My kids stay up later since there is no school the next day, and it being dark early, we are inside and I just get the munchies.....
cheryl

rockinrobin
11-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Well for me, the worst time of day was any time that I was AWAKE. Yeah, scary, but TRUE. Obviously something had to change their, big time.

What can you do? Get past it anyway that you can. BE PREPARED. PKAN AHEAD. Have a bottle of seltzer instead. Plan a nice snack at that time, or even a mini meal. Like a large salad and some tuna. Some fruit. Chew gum. Mow the lawn. Clean the house, head to toe. Go for a walk. Exercise. Talk on the phone, journal, go on the computer. ANYTHING. Set yourself some ground rules, that no matter what you will not give into the bad eating and STICK to it - no matter what. Within a short period of time you WILL get used to it. It IS possible to reprogram the brain. You CAN do this. And when you do, you will be thrilled and elated. Good luck. :)

gggirls
11-16-2007, 08:01 AM
My worst time is when I first come in from work - I think it goes back to Mom always having a big snack for us when we got home from school - something about home says comfort and comfort has normally been equated with food.

Now I use that time to exercise - the feeling at the end is amazing.

royalsfan1
11-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Morning, definitely. I get everyone out the door and it used to be my time to hog...so that's how my brain still wants to work. I switched my elliptical time to right after everyone is at school. After a workout the last thing I want to do is stuff myself with crap. So, every morning I have an apple while I'm getting everyone up and ready. Then I drink a big glass of water and hop on the elliptical. Afterward, I have my coffee and a bowl of oatmeal and I feel great until lunchtime! :) You just have to find something to fill that spot of time that works for you. Maybe that could be the time of day when you clean your toilets? Who wants to eat right after their hands have been in the toilet????? :D

Get n healthy
11-16-2007, 08:18 AM
I am right there with you Kasmin. I am bad from 2-4. I pick up my oldest child from high school at 2, youngest at 3. And they both snack as soon as they get in the door. Watching them snack sort of reminds me, oh yeah, theres food. And if i am strong enough to resist my son's snack time, then i have to endure my daughters snack time. Dang.
Best thing i have found, is i only have healthy snacks in the house. So they have to snack on cereal, fruits, cheese, etc. that way, that is what i have to snack on. But most of the time, i am not even hungry, i just want to eat because they are. Silly and stupid, but i do it every day. I just have to manage that snack instead of that snack managing me.

modkittn
11-16-2007, 08:29 AM
2-4 seems to be the bad time for me! Its really because I ate lunch, and I might feel a little sleepy in the afternoon, but guess what? I still have to sit at my desk and work and not want to :)

djs06
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm right there with you. I've been trying to have a cup of honey nut cheerios around that time. Crunchy and somewhat satisfying (albeit not the BEST choice) but much better than chocolate or potato chips.

And keep yourself occupied- straighten up, get some laundry together, read something on the internet, drink some tea or water.. and gum.

Trazey34
11-16-2007, 09:37 AM
my "witching hour" is from 9 to 2 am on Friday & Saturday nights (can you tell i have no kids heheheh) I like to stay up late and watch movies or we have people over -- I fight the urge for night time snacks all week but around 11 pm i'm a bit peckish again -- so i've taken to having a mini-meal, of a turkey/cheese/melon wrap up and that seems to do the trick!

PS I think rockinrobin's suggestion of cleaning the house top to bottom really works! you could perform surgery on the floors in my house hehehehehe It's a great workout!

Rhighlan86
11-16-2007, 10:19 AM
The worst time for me is 7pm and 12am. Later than most, but I stay up until midnight-1am usually and I get hungry and want everything that isn't bolted down :)

Lifeguard
11-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Late afternoons are bad for me - it is SO hard to stay awake! So I have to watch I don't go for something to "give me energy".

Also if I stay up late I can make some bad choices, I think 'cause I'm tired & so I want to reach for food instead of sleeping. (I'm a notoriously bad sleeper so at times I dread going to bed).

Robin41
11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
3-5 p.m. is also the worst time for me. I always schedule a snack during that time or I'm pretty sure I'd end up at Round Table.

I think there's a lot to be said for the idea that that was snack time as a kid when we got home from school. I'd never thought about that before but I used to get home at 3:30 and Mom always had something waiting.

On the upside, I've found another thing I can blame on my mother. I'll be sure to point it out to her at Thanksgiving while she's pushing pumpkin pie at me and telling me it has vegetables in it.

LeedaRenee
11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Night time is bad for me. I just want to munch all night .

Glory87
11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Yep, I'm an afternoon snacker too. I handle it by planning healthy snacks every 2 hours in the afternoon (1:00 - tall non fat latte, 3:00 - fruit, 5:00 - bag of cut up vegetables) and lots and lots of herbal tea.

LWM
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Have you tried brushing your teeth (at that time, I mean, not have you ever tried brushing your teeth - hee, hee)? Night is usually the hardest time for me to resist unplanned snacking. I have recently started brushing my teeth as part of my after dinner routine. It helps me resist temptation.

Good luck! :cheer2:

rakel
11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Night is the worst time for me. Right around bedtime I start getting super hungry. It's really hard training myself to go to bed hungry. I have a hard time falling asleep, and in the past I always just ate something, anything, to calm my stomach.

NotTheCheat
11-16-2007, 01:18 PM
The only thing that has worked for me in kicking that mid-afternoon slump is to cut out most carbs from my lunches. No bread, rice, etc. I do have a piece of fruit after my protein and veggie and that seems to be ok.

Sheila53
11-16-2007, 01:48 PM
That's my worst time, too. I schedule healthy snacks (that include protein, carb and good fat) and hot drinks during that time.

ChrissyBean
11-16-2007, 02:35 PM
My witching hours are from 8-11 pm. :( I try to keep my snack to hot air popcorn, but still. I've done the tooth brushing trick. I think I learned that at WW 10 years ago. :lol:

CountingDown
11-16-2007, 09:24 PM
The "old" me - come home from work at 4:00, after skipping breakfast and having a small lunch (or even worse - none at all). It WAS a rough day, I SO DESERVE something wonderful to eat - let's see - that looks good, - inhale. Oh, so does THAT - inhale. About 1500 calories later I was done - until supper time anyway.

The "new" me - Eats a good breakfast, has a morning snack, has a nutritious lunch, has another snack about an hour before coming home. Comes home, has a nutritious protein-rich snack and a big glass of tea, then exercises for 30-40 minutes.

I haven't had an issue with afternoon snacking or binges since I started this journey in July. Keeping my blood sugar level and eliminating food "rewards" have been HUGE success strategies.

missy3gal
11-16-2007, 11:31 PM
3-5pm for me too and then around 10pm when dh starts eating his after dinner, dinner :rollpin:
He runs long distance and is thin, so I guess he needs the calories. I used to join him, but now I just leave the room. He doesn't seem to notice....hey....what does that mean? :lol:

Dumplin
11-17-2007, 01:10 AM
NIGHT TIME!!!!!! Thats when I really feel the urge to snack. I have been doing better with late night snacking but hey, there's always room for improvement. I really need to set a cut off time for me and cut out late night eating completely!!!!!!!