General chatter - Alright, who has been hiding my forks?!

rabidstoat
11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Every year I buy more forks, for the kitchen. I've done this three years in a row. I don't buy sets (nothing in my cutlery matches, I'm not too worried about it), just replacement forks. Every year!

I counted today. I have 14 butter knives, 22 spoons, and 7 forks.

Where the heck are my forks going? Do the migrate? Have they run off and eloped with my missing unmatched socks? I don't get it!

ThePrettyOne
11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Every year I buy more forks, for the kitchen. I've done this three years in a row. I don't buy sets (nothing in my cutlery matches, I'm not too worried about it), just replacement forks. Every year!

I counted today. I have 14 butter knives, 22 spoons, and 7 forks.

Where the heck are my forks going? Do the migrate? Have they run off and eloped with my missing unmatched socks? I don't get it!

I have a bad habit of throwing silverwear in the trash :^:

LittleMoonRabbit
11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
This thread made me crack up, lol. Do you or maybe a significant other pack lunches for work? I know my dad used to take forks from our drawer and tupperware containers and he would bring them to work- and then occasionally things would go missing. That's the only thing I could guess... Good luck solving the mystery :)

StillTryin
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I have the SAME problem. But I know where mine go. My husband takes them. He uses them rather than plastic ones and ohhhhhh do I get mad! So I have 1/10 of the forks I should. So I am constantly buying more also. Thank god walmart has 5packs for like $1 or something cheap like that. I figure I will not put out my good silverware for everyday use until he learns to leave it at HOME!

missingmyerica
11-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Apparently, my trash can needs to eat at least one fork a week to maintain it's current health!:lol: My eight year old (who is in charge of clearing the dinner table) makes sure our trash can is well fed. :dizzy:

tamaralynn
11-15-2007, 10:50 AM
:lol: it's like the missing socks! Where do they go????

Since I've been buying plastic forks, mine don't go missing as often. But I do have the occasional fork wander away.

For me it's the spoons. They're always gone!!!

melekalikimaka
11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
... But I do have the occasional fork wander away.

For me it's the spoons. They're always gone!!!

and the dish ran away with the spoon! :lol:

This must be a natural phenomenon because it happens at my house too. My older sister and her husband (who are rather well to do) got fed up with the mismatched cutlery and silverware at my house, so last Christmas they gave us all new beautiful pieces. Guess what? One year later, over half the forks are missing! :lol: I have an 8 year old so he may feeding the trash can as well.

KforKitty
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
In my house its the teaspoons but I would guess that they get thrown out with the yogurt and diary dessert pots on the occasions when the kids tidy up after themselves - I've stopped my son from doing this several times.

Kitty

just_a_dreamy1
11-15-2007, 12:46 PM
This thread made my day!

All of my silverware seems to stay at home - I've got no kids, and we take plastic forks to work with us. BUT I lose my tupperware like crazy, and I must admit that I've been the culprit a few times when I couldn't get the stains out of something :o

alinnell
11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Mine is spoons as well. DS throws them out with his yogurt cup. They're not especially expensive, but you have to buy a whole set, so I'm just short on spoons.

FrouFrou
11-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Another one for the spoons...don't know where they go but they do! Actually, DH does take things to work, as does DS once in a while but I think the majority get thrown away accidently. Oh, and the tupperware...the small bowls...again, DS & DH. As for the socks...I have no clue where they go, lol!

rabidstoat
11-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Sounds like knives are the only utensil that reliably will stay in a kitchen.

I don't know whether I should be relieved, or scared. :)

zenor77
11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Funny, I've always worked places that had silverware on premises. I would never think to take a utensil with my lunch. I've had the same everyday set of flatware since before I was married and I don't think there are many pieces missing. That said, tupperware or pyrex containers will stay at DH's work for weeks. I have to bug him to bring them home and then I make him wash them!:D

murphmitch
11-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm convinced the dishwasher eats them, kind of like socks in the washing machine.

EZMONEY
11-16-2007, 12:47 AM
In my house it's the forks like the Pretty One said.

Clydegirl
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Teaspoons here. I always have to buy more.

I know who the culprit is, my youngest!

modkittn
11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
My husband brings teaspoons to work to eat his yogurt with and forgets them there. Every once in a while I have to ask him to bring his "stash" home.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-16-2007, 07:33 PM
In my house, it was the KNIVES the most, cuz DH kept taking them to use as screwdrivers, tools, etc ... We have no kids so can't blame them. I had at least three partial sets; DH was washing dishes for a while until I banished him to drying. I suspect that's how they disappeared; so, last Christmas I bought myself a new set of twelve.

But just last week, I caught DH using one of my new knives for something; I was ready to put him in the guillotine for that! So, I went to the our local department store and found some cheapies for .50cents each (bought four); and gave them to him to use around the house or wherever.

I used to work in restaurants; and the owners told me the #1 reason for missing flatware was 'THE GARBAGE'; people sloffing stuff off, and didn't check for silverware. She put a rule down that staff had to pay for missing cutlery and broken dishes: funny, how it all stopped!

FreeSpirit
11-17-2007, 04:29 PM
This might sound weird... but it's the coffee cups at our house. We have to keep buying more and more because they always turn up missing!

almostheaven
11-17-2007, 05:33 PM
I didn't have a problem with the forks not returning when hubby took them to lunch. I had a problem with the lasagna sauce and cheese sitting on them for 5 or 6 hours before they returned home, so encrusted that getting a brillo pad between the tines was the least of my worries. Getting all that muck off was a miracle. So I started stocking him with plastic forks. Now like the ones who said theirs won't use plastic forks...I can't blame them. I hate plastic forks too. Unless you spring for the better, thicker, clear forks I get hubby. They hold up. The tines aren't going to break or the fork bend when you try to use it. Haven't had a problem with food encrusted forks since. ;)

srmb60
11-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Yup, they're in a blackhole of spoons and the other cute sock.