40-Somethings - Anyone else perimenopausal?

View Full Version : Anyone else perimenopausal?

missy3gal
11-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I've been noticing signs of "the change" for the past year. When I read weight loss articles I can't help but notice how women say it's so much harder to loose weight once they have gone through the change. Yikes! That's one factor that's motivating me to stick with my plan this time around.

CountingDown
11-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Good plan. I lost weight when I turned 40 (about 70 lbs) and it was a cakewalk compared to doing the same thing now with even more exercise and a lower calorie intake and the lbs. are coming off about 50% slower now (10 years later). That isn't a bad thing, but it CAN be a discouraging one.

katmeow
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
OMG YES!!! Do you wake up in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep? That is SO annoying. I did WW 5 years ago and dropped the lbs like wildfire. Now it is only a few lbs a week at best. So I agree that the hormones probably interfere. I feel your pain sister!

missy3gal
11-14-2007, 11:27 PM
The insomnia drives me crazy too! I did start using a natural progesterone cream two weeks every month. Some "experts" say it works and others say it doesn't. Regardless, it helps me sleep better and with the intensity and length of the flow. I'm just starting to read up on alternative remedies for dealing with these things. I don't have time for this nonsense ;)

horsey
11-21-2007, 02:21 AM
What age does this hit, I'm almost 40 and I can't sleep at night sometimes, I'm moodier then ever and lacking motivation at work. I've gained weight recently too without really pigging out. What fixes this hormonal "stuff" whatever the name of it is? I'm back on St John's Wort and really watching what I eat, exercising, yoga, meditation, mental relaxation... it all helps. Just wonder why I'm nutty.

LOOKNG4MYWAIST
11-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Today's my first day, first post. I'm right there with you. I'll be 47 in a few months. Sleeping is a challenge. I've gained 20 pounds in about a year. Lots of heat problems in the middle of the night--hub sleeps under the covers, I sleep on top of them. He's not happy.

I've been exercising for two weeks now. AFter the scale not moving at all, I have, today, officially lost 1 pound, and I'm delighted. Not much, I know. But I am still happy. I think what has happened to my middle is the worst of it.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

slim n up
11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I know how everyone feels. The night sweats are the worst. I also have a heart condition so I have to be careful with my exercising, as I can't raise my heart rate to high ( nothing over 120 ) or my implanted defribulator will go off, but my Dr. has told me exercise without raising my heart rate any higher than 120, and a weight loss of about 50 more pounds would be very good for me. I have been doing calorie counting, and have been averaging about 1 1/2pound per week weight loss for 4 weeks. Not sure about this week as I over indulged on Thanksgiving, but I did get right back on track the next day.

Thanks for listening,

Wilma

LOOKNG4MYWAIST
11-27-2007, 10:41 AM
HELLO AGAIN. I have lost one more pound. That makes two altogether. Yay!!!!! This is completely without clothes, though--I'm doing whatever I can to increase my positive attitude and motivation. My BMI is 29, and I read it should be less than 27. I wonder how many pounds I would have to lose to get there.

I bought a juicer and have started to drink fresh juices. I think they taste fabulous. Yesterday was a juice of 2 stalks celery, 2 carrots, 1 green apple, 1/2 a lime, and a tiny slice of fresh ginger. Man was that refreshing. I don't think I've tasted anything like that in my life, completely fresh and fulfilling. Maybe this will be a better option than other snacks. Anyone know how many calories that juice would have contained?

Good luck to you all.

Oh--I actually slept ok last night--bought an eye mask to keep out all light, even that from clocks and phones. Did it really work, or did I imagine it? First time I can remember in years that I wasn't aware of lying there waiting to fall asleep.

BrownEyed Girl
12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi...new here too.
I'm with ya...insomnia and thermoregulation problems! Even after a coolish a.m. shower, I am sweating before my hair is dry! Pretty tough to feel attractive for very long.
I'm sick of feeling this way, so am going to take charge! Knowing that carrying around 50 less pounds will make things easier (work-wise and on the eyes!).
If I must sweat, please let it be in a bikini on the beach while looking hot too!

40Before50
12-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi all - I am 47 and have been dealing with perimenopausal symptoms for what seems like forever, but actually only for about a year. I think the insomnia is about the worst thing ever - I live and sleep alone so it's not that I'm annoying anyone, but I am so tired all the time. And it makes it hard to get any work done while I'm at work. And then, of course, I just want comfy food to eat. The only thing I've done to help my food option is to just not have any "trigger" foods in my cupboards. If I just have point-friendly foods around I do much better and am just as satisfied. Jello and pudding have become favorites.

TheBabies
12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Ahhhh.... I can sigh with relief... I am only in my early 30s but got put on a medication that has put me into menopause. Haven't slept through the night in weeks (2-3 am wake up every single day). And c-r-a-b-b-y. :devil: My family is wondering what's going on and coming up with all kinds of theories.

I have started to drink A LOT of hot tea on the weekends, especially now that it's so cold. That helps me feel fuller without forcing me to drink more cold water. And I don't have foods that I know I can't control in the house. And if I go out to eat, I try to go to a place that will have salad or high protein stuff, Mongolian Barbeque is a recent favorite.

sgs66
01-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I haven't had any symptoms, lately. I think I am over it, or godd forbid pregnant(probably not). The hard thing is fatigue, that makes me crave carbs, got to drink water, hope that will help. First time here, wish me luck

BrownEyed Girl
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh, I love the Mongo Grill!

Chris
01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, have been going through this for 3 or 4 years now. I go through phases where I don't sleep well. Wake up every night at 3:00 on the button for about a week or so and then am fine for a few weeks. Put on almost 20 lbs in the past couple years despite being extremely active. Am constantly hungry and try to control that (obviously not well enough) but still put the weight on. It drives me crazy. The heats not so bad for me, usually starts with burning eyeballs (yeah I know it sounds kooky) but my eyeballs feel the heat first then it just spreads. I too don't have time for any of this nonsense.
Chris

linda25590
01-10-2008, 03:25 PM
hi i am new to this site and just started diet 8 days ago. i went through the menopause at 30. glad i had my kids early. it,s the best thing that happened to me. no more pmt. no more chocolate cravings, no more fluid retention. may be slightly harder to lose weight but on the other hand little chance of ending up pregnant. the symptoms will pass. be positive.

sugrfoot
01-20-2008, 12:58 AM
My mother started telling me at 35 i was starting through the ''change''. I figgure I really started at 40. I used black cohosh for the early stages..sweats, flashes, sleeplessness...and it seemed to help A LOT.

dgramie
01-28-2008, 12:23 PM
My dr told me that I am in the early stages of going thru the change. I am having trouble sleeping and very heavy period. I have been eating so much and always starving. I decided i didnt want to gain more weight so im now dieting and today is day 2. I feel to young to be going thru the change...but i am 44.

shortshine
01-31-2008, 09:14 AM
I am 46, almost 47. I need a d/c, but have to get up $400.00 to have it done. This is what insurance doesn't cover. I am diabetic and over weight. My numbers were up last week when I went to the doctor. So I joined WW last Saturday. I wake up quite often at night to go to the bathroom. I have always been a "hot" natured person, but it's getting worse. LOL The cramps and flow are horrible. I can't wait until I'm totally in menopause. LOL Then it will be my daughter's turn to begin her period. How fun will that be?:lol:

vschreiner
02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one! (Misery loves company I guess.) I have gained 30 lbs in the last 3 years despite decreasing my food intake (I am 43) and have much dificulty sleeping. My cycle is stretching (more days in between each) and my flow has declined significantly. I really feel like I am a drying up old lady. I don't want to be fat at the same time!

I've also got tremendous stress at home with a daughter with an eating disorder. I read on the internet that "if you're the mom of a daughter with an eating disorder and you're overweight, you really need to think about how your weight is impacting her. If she fears getting fat like you..." So how's that for a load of guilt on top of perimenopause? Anyways, I have started a diet just a week ago (not to respond the guilt trip from teh internet site but to look and feel better, esp. in teh middle of all this stress).

I'm looking forward to the encouragement from this group. thanks for letting me hang out..

JaneZoe
02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm in full blown menopause at age 40 (medical). My doctor said I was way too young, so she prescribed low-dose birth control pills and they made the hot flashes go away and diminished a lot of other symptoms.

But yes, I'm thinking that I have to really work on losing weight now. Before it was just move more, eat less. This time I've got a whole team of experts to help me out.

Hot flashes though... Man, sometimes I thought I would spontaneously combust!

reneeks5
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi ladies...I'm new to this thread...thought we would all have something in common besides weight issues. How funny it's THIS! I started in my 30's as well. I'm now 44. night sweats, insomnia, more...ummm..."discharge" (yuk!), flushed face (hot flashes?) the worse was when I'd have a period really heavy for a day, then spot a day or 2 then heavy again, and my boobs KILLED me for 3 out of 4 weeks....the best thing for me has been the birth control pill. My Dr. put me on a low dose and my boobs don't hurt anymore and the period problems are gone. My hot flashes are far in between. Still waking up soaking (but I'm FREEZING while I try to fall asleep! What's up with that!?) and it usually takes me about 2 hours to fall back asleep if I wake up (which I generally do!)

chuckie
02-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm new to this board (40 something) I too am going thru a change only thing is i don't have hot flashes? Instead i'm just freezing. But it's winter here and cold. I have noticed some mood change's, crying after watching something on tv or a movie, I lose and gain the same 3 or 4 pd's. At this rate i don't think i'll ever get to my goal weight. Also the dryness is killing me. I go to the dr in a couple of day's. So maybe i can at least get this taken care.

PJS145
02-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Me too! I really get cold alot, but was thinking it was from losing weight-maybe it is also the change! I also hear you on the dry skin-let us know if you come up with a good solution for that one!

chuckie
02-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I also thought it was from the weight loss at first, But now i'm thinking it's not. I used to have the house set at 67 during the day, Not anymore if i can get away with it lol. Even at 72 degrees i'm freezing. It's not just the skin that's dried up (blush).

MaryL
03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
WOW, thanks for this thread. and I thought I was the olny one. I went through it about 14yrs ago and never put the waking up hot thing down to .I wake about every nite 3am am hot starts with my feet, I too sleep on top of the covers, and once awake can't go back to sleep.Grumpy all day.Must go see the doc and ask. And yes (things) do dry up. lol:(

Tomato
03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Hello ladies,

Please let me join the club. ;)
I will be 49 this summer and I am probably perimenopausal. My worst problem is insomnia; I have no problems falling asleep but staying asleep is a different story. My "witching hour", as I call it, is usually at 3:00 - 3:30 am. There are some odd days when I manage to go back to sleep, but often I end up flopping around for an hour or longer, until I turn on the light, get a glass of hot milk and read for about half an hour; then I am usually sleepy enough to fall asleep again. But the when the alarm goes at 6:30, I often feel like a zombie.

This is probably my worst problem, I have had this for years. I was on Wellbutrin for about 5-6 years, for mild depression, but it did not really help with the insomnia. I weaned myself off over a year ago. My dr. says she will either have to prescribe antidepressant or a sleeping pill, there is nothing else. So far I am resisting.

Oh, and another thing is that started to sweat when I do something - I am need to screw two screws and I am sweating (worst is around my hairline). But I also have an elevated blood pressure (i have been on a low dosage of something for this) - I am hoping that regular exercise on the treadmill will help with the blood pressure and, in turn, with the sweating as well. (I can keep dreaming, right?)

My periods are actually quite bearable, thank God for that (I had really heavy periods for most of my life).
Thanks for letting me vent.

Kelly46
03-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi ladies
I'm 46 and I've been having perimenopause symptoms for a couple of years. My symptoms are: Insomnia, wt gain, low energy, mood swings, itching all over for a day or so then it stops, irregular periods (missing them or having too many)

I think we should just have a button when we are done with our childbearing years we just flip a switch. Done.

Kelly

Clydegirl
03-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Me too.

The worst thing is definetly the insomnia. It drives me insane.

Kelly a button would be nice :D

Shy Moment
03-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Kelly I do understand. They told me I was pre menopausal after I had my tubal when I was 29. I am now 46. Doc said he has never seen anyone go this long. How about those 4 month DOTS. Aren't they just wonderful. I was going to have a hysterectomy done in Jan. I am losing weight so well a few long DOTS are worth me not messing up my weight loss. I will put up with inconvenience to keep losing weight lol.

chuckie
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I have the best dr in the world, I saw her today told her what has been going on. And started me on hrt low amount's, she also told me that being peri it could also cause me to not lose weight(i knew just knew it). and that my hormones are out of wack, and this should help me to start losing again in a few week's. She also set me up with a dr to havew my bladder lifted (yippeeee) No more tinkle time every 20 / 30 min's.

Kelly46
03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
What is a button?

(confused)

Kelly

Kelly46
03-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh yeah, duh. LOL, see......memory loss is another thing!

KellyO

Clydegirl
03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
What is a button?

(confused)

Kelly

You know the thing you turn on and off ;)

ronni62
03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
It's interesting to see so many going through the same things I have been. I'm now 45 and realize I was perimenopausal since I had my 2nd ds by c-sect and got a tubal at the same time. All the doctors just said my symptoms were normal and basically to quit complaining. I was cold all the time, periods were unbelievable (close together, then missed, unbearably heavy and painful at times-I even went to ER once, but was told to just go take more painkillers-later was told I probably passed a fibroid). Now, finally, full-blown menopause hit 7 months ago. Hot flashes & night sweats with chills in between. Everything got dry-skin, hair, etc:o. Now, doc has put me on dhea & bio-identical estrogen and progesterone. Helps with the hot flashes and dryness, but (here's where I'm wondering if it's worth it) now my breasts hurt badly all the time and doc says I may start having periods again for awhile (like for another year). I also had to quit the dhea as it made me extremely hyper, shaky, and made my heart race all the time.

Has anyone else had negative side-effects from the hrt (and I consider the return of my period to be very negative!) and what did you do about it? Is hrt worth it? What else would work for the hot flashes?:?:

Thanks!

chuckie
03-20-2008, 06:05 PM
My breast were really sore when i first started taking hrt's, and felt like they weighted a ton. It does go away, at least it did in my case.

Shy Moment
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I have been pre menopausal since I had my tubal done at age 29. It has lasted this long. I am now 46. I am not having any trouble losing weight. I don't know for sure but maybe a good balanced diet and exercise is helping me.

chuckie
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Shy moment: I would say your one of the lucky one's as far as not having any trouble losin weight, i do weight watcher so i know i'm eating right & walk up to 8 mile's just abt everyday and i still don't lose. I'm going to invest in a bike to see if that make's a differance.

stampinlady
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm brand new here...not new to dieting, but new to trying to lose weight while perimenopausal and moderately disabled. My night sweats started up again after reading this thread...are my symptoms psycosomatic?

I started getting night sweats about 3 years ago...it was so unpleasant and my pms was SO bad that I went on birth control pills. That took care of both of those symptoms but I found it impossible to lose weight. I stopped taking them 2 years ago and still have BAD PMS but no night sweats until this week.

I had another knee surgery 2.5 weeks ago...I wonder if the stress on my body had something to do with it. I also feel like I'm PMSing since the surgery although my period isn't due for 2 more weeks. Aint' it grand getting old?

Clydegirl
03-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi Stampinlady. Welcome to the 40 something's.

Pop in the chat thread.

RosieDays4me
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I just joined and have been struggling with awful peri-menopausal symptoms for at least 4 yrs now with out any help. I just couldn't handle how bad it was getting so my dr put me on estrogen. I'm told it takes at least 3 months to get back to who I used to be. It's been so long since I knew me that I hope I'm a fun gal! LOL I've only been on the estrogen for a week and am seeing the light in this very dark tunnel. Here's to balanced hormones and lost weight!
Donna

Shy Moment
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
stampin
Thank heavens I don't have pms and never had. The knee surgery could have something to do with lots of things. Any surgery is a shock to the system.

Rosiedays
Hi

chuckie
maybe add some other exercises in there. Walking might not be enough. I do walking/aerobic videos. While I haven't seen any change in the amount of weight I am losing. I sure do see a difference in my body. The toning that is going on is great.

RosieDays4me
03-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Shy Moment,
Nice to meet you. Have a great weekend.

Everyone else,
I'm reading through the posts and had no idea how many peri-menopausal symptoms I've been having. Now I know that all that itching and low tolerance for exercise and fatique was not from low blood sugar. Thank God!

chrissyriss
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I will be 46, the past year has been terrible , I have some missed periods, (after being cloclwork almost all the time) and anxiety. i gained alot of weight and just joined the WW group. wow this is hard to lose the weight now. but I have lost 11 pounds so far. yay. i get hot on my face almost daily. and tired easily. the dr says peri even tho my blood tests are not showing it yet. oh and bad cramps too. how lovely getting older. i can't believe I am posting with the 40 something crowd! lol. I am in good company.

midnightcarla
03-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi Ladies, Good Morning!!:sp: I am new here at 3FT and just reviewed this thread and I am with all of you. I just turned 47 in January and I have been in pre menopause for about 2 years. I haven't had TOM for about 4 months, I will soon have it for maybe a day or so and then not for a few months again. As for insomia it is crazy:crazy: I work midnights every other week and I sleep GREAT during the day and on my week off I can't sleep at night. It is like I am almost ready to go back to work so I can sleep. As for night sweats I take SOY tablets and they work for me. The last year I have gained almost 20 lbs and I feel terrible. I started WW online in Feb. and things are going slow but, at least in the right direction, Excerise :tread: is the key for me along with eating right and NOT eating :corn:after 8pm my nights off (that is the hardest for me) :smug:

Looking forward to talking to you all in the future and help eash other in your new journey of menopause!!!

:grouphug: MC

RosieDays4me
03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Chrissyriss and Midnightcarla,
I turned 47 on March 3rd and in peri menopause for about 5 years. I couldn't function at all due to migranes and all the other stuff I mentioned in an earlier post. Anyway, I broke down and took my dr.'s advice to use the nuvaring for estrogen. What a difference! Dr. says it'll take 3 cycles to feel normal but I can already tell the difference. I'm actually interacting with family now instead of laying down with my head covered. :) I was starting a low carb diet when I joined last week but I'll have to start over since I'm in Louisiana right now enjoying cajun food.
Have a happy week!
Donna

Queenswear
03-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here but have been lurking for some time. I'm 42, night sweats like you cannot believe (my husband jokes and asks if I "wet the bed" again when I get up in the middle of the night to put a towel down so I can go back to sleep in the puddle I created) and somewhat cranky with migraines. I'm ready to lose these pounds and need your support to do it. I have NEVER been thin, always was the chubby kid and got up to about 225 (I'm 5'5") in my early 20's. Got down to 170 when I was around 23, and then down to 155 a few years later. I am now 165 and really uncomfortable with myself. I could starve myself and still not lose weight (metabolic syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome at age 19, years of starving and yo-yo dieting) but I am no longer willing to starve. I just started swimming a few days a week to help out and I started my own glassblowing studio/retail gallery in November so I am stressed out too! I love to read your posts, they are truly inspiring. Just wanted to say hello to you all and thanks for the great posts.
QueensWear

Babygal
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
QueenWear
Welcome, I am a baby at this and have not weighted in yet to see if I lost any weight but I started at 234, 5'3. I desire to get down to 135 and prevent several health related ailments that are lurking around.
Hope to see more of you
Stay Focused
Godsbabygal

Babygal
03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Wow Chuckie I want my bladder lifted at 46. That is my newest condition so I was placed on a medication that I don't like because it dries me out so bad most times.
I tell ya I am among the right group of women. I identify with all most every issue at one time in my life or another. I would say I have been in Peri for about 15 years. Miscarried a baby and it all began.

There is one area I have not heard anyone mention. Just before my monthly I either get grumpy or I will have an intense desire for intimacy to the point that I get a slight temp (no joke).

I am on two anti-depressants that are helpful. I am getting tired of taking them but I just don't know what to do without them. I know it is all related to the change of life.

babygal

Tomato
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi QueensWear,

Welcome at 3FC. Swimming is great - I wish I could swim again, I was in a really good condition when I used to swim once a week for 45 minutes (laps). You should have seen my arms, they actually had a very nice definition, and my abdominal area was quite toned, too.
Hang in there!

chuckie
03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Well this morning i got on the scale,i'm really getting tired of this. For over 3yr's i have been fighting to stay under 145,(gw 130) never made it to gw ever?Today i got on the scale and was 150 OMG!! I have tried everything, i have been on weight watcher's for almost 5yr's this is not supposed to happen. I weigh & measure everything and log it in my journal. Have just had my yearly phy and everything is normal, beside's being peri. I'm just really upset today, I have been trying to start jogging baby step's with that i was a smoker for over 30 or more yr's. Have not had a smoke in over 8month's. longest i have ever went without one, but day's like this. I also just bought a used bike waiting for the snow to melt & warm up a bit it's still winter in mich,Thank's for letting me vent i'm just so upset this morning. Thinking i'll try an all fruit & veggie diet for a few day's or so?

reenester
03-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Have been in the "peri" the last couple of years, am sick of periods. Am now having my second one this month. Heavy too. Thought that walking every day would make things easier, but had horrendous cramps Wed night after walking for 45 min. Thought they would be slowing down, so far have only skipped 2 in the last year and a half.
Believe I am finally getting my metabolism moving again, but the temptation to eat, especially salty stuff before my period, I do not need. I really really do not need 2 bouts of PMS a month. Don't need the food or the mood swings.

tobeslim4ever
04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll be 47 this weekend (sigh). I just visited the doctor (my husband told me if I didn't go then he was). My mood swings were awful. Sleeping, forget it. Went on WW with my mother-in-law and gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks, so off that now. Found out I am Lactose intolerant and wheat sensitive. Gave up dairy and whole wheat (I have cholitis) and the doctor put me on Estroven and Wellbutrin (mood & weight) and the pounds are coming off. I've lost 12 lbs since Feb 1st (I'm only 5'3" and was up to 150). I started doing Walk aerobics (walk away the pounds 4 miles) and 1 mile on tread mill each day too. I'm feeling good lately (other than a bad head cold this week). The Wellbutrin (take at night and helps me sleep now) has been a big help as I think it stablized everything. Night sweats are pretty well gone.

wannalosealot
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
im 43 years old and suffering many of the symptoms i have seen described in here... insomnia, fatigue, emotional rollercoaster, really bad 'period headaches', hot hot hot all the time... and my skin is so dry... and i have the itching as well...oh, cant forget that i used to spot for 3 days for my periods... now i flow like crazy for 7:( being a woman can be sooo much fun at times lol... i would probably feel better if i went on estrogen, but .. my mother just had a mastectomy due to breast cancer and the dr took her off her estrogen as soon as she was diagnosed.. said it makes cancer grow faster.. in fact now, since the surgery she is on estrogen blockers... and me being peronoid, would rather just suffer than risk it;( lol

didi123
04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm so glad I found you guys!! I'm 48 and going thru perimenopause too.
I have gained more than 20 lbs in the last year. I get hot, wake up almost every night around 3 AM and I can't stop eating. My mid-section is now like a tire around my waist and I'm so uncomfortable. I'm on Thyroid meds cuz I have Grave's disease and had radioactive Iodine treatment about 6 years ago.
I'm trying to get my eating under control and have been trying to do calorie counting.
The one good thing I've done was I decided to use my lunch hour to walk along the beach. I brought a change of clothes to work today, changed and drove to the beach and walked for 1/2 hour. I'm determined to start with doing that at least 3 days a week. I'm hoping that will kick start me into eating healthier.
So glad to be here!!

SeaWave
04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm there too, but I also had thyroid cancer (removed about 1.5 years ago) so it's difficult to tell what to blame on the peri, and what to blame on the thyroid. I've been getting hot/cold flashes, sleepiness/sleeplessness, etc. But I think the worst thing for me is the periods, which are coming at about 21 days (give or take) and very heavy. I get weak and dizzy, migraines and brain fog, etc. I was at 27.5 days for 35 years - you could set your clock by me, even after I had my son! So this peri is just another thing that makes me feel like I don't know my own body any more. Drives me batty :dizzy:

But, this too shall pass. Right? ;)

MissTrixie
05-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi ladies,

So glad I found you. I'm turning 43 this summer and have been peri for a year now. Hot flashes, insomnia/sleepiness, lack of energy, mood swings galore, you could also set your watch on my period before, 28 days on the dot, every month, and now, I'm anywhere from 3 to 7 days late every month, and it's soooooo heavy I can't go anywhere for fear of having accidents, gotta stay near the bathroom as much as possible from the flow. Just unreal, and never mind the cramps, the cramps :(

I'm tired, major lack of energy (and I make sure to eat red meat to replenish the iron lost as much as possible). And I've gained 58 lbs in the past year (I'm 5'1"), I've always been plump, but my tummy area used to be the smallest, I carried my weight on my hips and thighs mainly, and now, instead, I'm carrying around a huge tire around my waste! I wear 3x size clothes... it's just depressing at times.

I don't want to take estrogen or what ever they prescribe. There has to be some natural way to get through this, but I feel pretty discouraged at this point. I just joined here today in hopes of finding the motivation to keep on plugging away and try to get that darn weight off and learn to cope with the Peri symptoms.