Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default GRRR Nutty Nutritionist

Hi Ladies
Lately my bp has been dropping (it's naturally low and I'm anemic) and I've been feeling dizzy/weak
Taking Iron really screws up my erm Throne time shall we say So I called the NUT at my docs office to see if she had any suggestions for foods to include or supplements
Broth
I said oh like Canned soup
Nooo you don't want too much Sodium BROTH
Mind you last night my bp was 110 over 60 and I was swooning and the receptionist at my other docs office gave me a "funsize" candy bar b/c the pharmacy was closed.
Today I ended up eating pretzels.

OK so Does anyone have any good suggestions

Also I asked her about the protien powder thing and wanted something hot beverage friendly
and her solution just so happened to be a product SHE SOLD! 7 pkts of shake mix for $13. . .Thats bleeping insane and when I said to her that that was unreasonably expensive. she said OH and tried to make me feel bad!
I don't.

So short of gnawing on a salt lick and carrying around a giant turkey leg I'm back at square 1 ! GRRRR NUTS
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

i answered you a little while ago, but my computer had a meltdown and the answer got lost!

soooo, here ya go, Kier - and you're not gonna like it.

ya gotta figure out a way to make the iron supplementation work. there's no way that you can absorb enough iron from your food to keep up with your iron needs. especially since you're still getting your period. between the malabsorption and the small amount of food you're eating, it's just not gonna work.

talk to your doc, not the NUT. there are ways to fix the THRONE TIME - like fiber supplements. but have this conversation with your doc.

and how are your B12 and folate levels? anemia is no laughing matter. and ya gotta figure out how to take care of yourself.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I called my sis last night she gave me the name of her nutrition Doc So i'm going to see If i can get an appt with him and his dieticians. get bloodwork done the whole 9 and see exactly what I need. I have a box of slow fe at the house if it's still good I'm just going to have to do it and Bond with my citrucel some more!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even if a person has the right credentials, if they recommend supplements they just happen to sell, you have to be suspicious. I consider it a serious conflict of interest, especially if they try to tell you there are no alternatives to what they sell.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #5  

Half these so called nutritionist have no credentials. Be sure the person you go to is a RDA and has graduated from a reputable university.

My husband is very anemic and has low blood pressure. He gets IV iron every week. Candy does not raise your blood pressure. Eat pretzels, saltines, a dill pickle to get salt into you quickly.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #6  

Ok maybe I can help you. I am six years out from WLS and still suffer from hypoglycemia and anemia.

You really do need to find a way to get your iron supplement in. You will not be able to eat enough to get in all the iron your body needs right now. Try taking it (slow Fe) with food. Sometimes I can take mine at night, right before bed with a glass of warm milk or hot cocoa. Here is a great alternative to hot cocoa and it is high in protein and cheap to make!

1 package NSA carnation instant breakfast (any flavor you like)
1/4 cup powdered milk
8oz skim milk
heat milk, mix in milk powder than carnation and enjoy. This provide 20 grams protein! 8grams for each of the milks and 4 grams for the carnation.

I am little curious, who told you that 110/60 was too low of a blood pressure. Actually, that is EXTREMELY healthy. As a matter of fact, it is perfect. Oh, by the way, I am a cardiac nurse, this is how I know. My blood pressure is always low. Mine runs sometimes as low as 86/40. If you are having trouble with dizziness, than it may be too low for you. There are lots of things that can cause this issue. What is your water intake each day? Dehydration can cause our blood pressure to run a little low. If you feel your sodium level is low, you can eat pickles, drink boullion, or basically, be sure to add a little salt to your diet. When is the last time you had your labs drawn? Honestly, you should have your labs drawn before you start adding salt to your diet. Make sure that is the issue and not something else. Your labs will check your anemia issue too.

Iron is soooo important. Even with slow Fe and watching my diet, I still suffer from anemia. I have labs done every 2 months and sometimes I will have to go on a prescription iron supplement for a while. Wow, I feel so much better with it too. But honestly, at this point, I would go see your doc. They need to keep up on your labs and you HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO take your vitamins and supplements. Please be careful and keep us posted!
nitengal42in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:39 AM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I get the.....*clear the throat*...."binding" issue with iron suppliments, too. Talk to your new Nutrition Doctor about simply adding the liquid gelcaps of vitamin E oil. Helps!

No one person has all the answers... my father always says, "go to someone that seems like they know there stuff... and then trust them until proven otherwise!"

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-31-2008 at 02:41 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Over the summer I had some really horrible issues with my TOM and I ended up needing a D&C. They also did blood work on me and noted that I was anemic. I was so anemic that they wanted to do a transfusion on me. I refused the transfusion and they told me that I would have to take iron supplement FOUR times a day!! I was in misery in the pottie. Then I remembered that Milk of Magnesia really helped and I did that for a while. It was horrible at first but then everything seemed to balance out and I didn't need the MOM anymore.

You might want to Google "symptoms of anemia" because I do think one of them is dizzyness. I can remember being very dizzy and I would stumble around. Check that out.

I hope that you feel better .....it's a pain I know but you really do have to "follow orders"...LOL!!
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote